Paths of Eriador Free RP

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
Istari Sage

Dínen
Between Bree and the Forsaken Inn
@Rillewen

The moment before charging an enemy had never been something which Dínen enjoyed. It seemed by contrast many others enjoyed the sense of impending combat, the anxiety, the adrenaline. Dínen did not, he did not enjoy battle, even against a deserving foe. It was not a sense of fear either, while he recognized the reality of the danger in any combat situation and he had a healthy desire to live, Dínen did not mind putting his life at risk for a good cause or against a dangerous foe. It was the death dealing. It did not matter how evil the enemy or how much his own life was at risk, Dínen always felt an immediate pang of guilt whenever he took a life, even for eating and consequently he ate mostly a vegetarian diet.

Luckily for Dínen the waiting did not last long and soon they charged ahead into the remaining orcs. At first, Dínen kept a few paces behind Daed and Gladhron acting as a rearguard to corral any escaping orc but also to defend his fellow rangers in case of an unseen oncoming attack. Soon, however, the horses had broken further apart in pace and Dínen was forced to strike at one of the orcs closest to him. Daed and Gladhron had turned away towards a group of orcs who were attempting to veer off course away from the ravine. Dínen caught on quickly that they were herding the other orcs together and instead of following he stayed his course with the other orcs. Several had to die to Dínen's hand before the orcs began to turn and run few as they were and the mounted rangers having the best of them.

When the words of Daed called out, Dínen was glad. "We are close now!" he responded in Sindarin. Lillawen rode down an orc which had been crawling in an attempt to escape and Dínen had not noticed. Dínen was jostled in the saddle violently as they trampled the orc. With the orcs dying quickly their retreat began in earnest and while the wiliest of them had already tried to separate to avoid the ravine, they were being chased down by Gladhron and Daed. Soon, as Dínen had said, they came to the ravine. The orcs who arrived there first had stopped, not wishing to jump down to their death or serious injury. But quickly their comrades arrived and soon there was not enough space on the edge of the ravine as the rangers thundered closer. The orcs began to jostle and a few fell down into the ravine as the rangers closed in.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Daedhrochon "Daed" and Gladhron

The orcs seemed to realize they had been driven toward the ravine, and several of them tumbled down the steep, rocky slope before they could do anything to stop it. Those who didn't fall became desperate and attempted to make a run for it where there was a gap between the three rangers. Daed was expecting such a thing, and cut them off as fast as he could, blade slashing. Those which weren't slain by his sword retreated back toward the edge.

Gladhron hastened to stop a cluster that tried to escape as well, and with Gaeroch and his sword, drove the foul beings closer to the edge. Another group of them toppled over as the rangers pressed closer, closing in. The orcs had nowhere else to go. He could hardly believe that only three men had been able to defeat so many foes! Just as he was thinking that, however, one of the more desperate orcs leaped toward him, snarling as it grabbed his arm, trying to drag him from his saddle. It had timed it well, waiting until Gladhron had slashed downward before leaping to trap the blade, and his arm, pointing downward, where he couldn't use it much. With his arm trapped, a surge of panic flashed through his mind.

Not having expected anything of the sort, Gladhron yelped in surprise, trying to shove the large orc off of him. They slid sideways, the saddle slipping a little to one side, as Gladhron struggled to get free from his attacker. If it succeeded in pulling him down, he had a feeling the remaining orcs might regain an advantage. Plus, he might get killed, and that was definitely not favorable. The disturbance had spooked Gaeroch as well, and she was nervously trying to move sideways, away from what was on her side, but without success. Gladhron saw a flash of a blade as the orc moved to stab, and he reached swiftly with his other hand to stop it, catching the orc's arm just before its dagger would have stabbed into Gaeroch's neck. Straining to prevent the orc from completing his attack, Gladhron found himself at a great disadvantage; not only was he using his non-dominant arm to hold off the attack, but he was having to hold onto his horse by his legs alone, while the weight of himself and the orc together was pulling the entire saddle to tilt sideways. And he could see a few other orcs heading toward him...

Daed, focused on driving the 'herd' toward the edge, was feeling quite pleased with how the plan was working, until he heard Gladhron's yell. Turning his head, he was alarmed to see what was going on. "Dínen!" He called, pointing toward Gladhron, since the other ranger was closer and looked to be in a better position to aid the youngest of their group. Daed, meanwhile, spotted a couple of orcs hurrying toward the ranger in distress. He urged Mael swiftly toward them, hoping to cut them off before they could get to Gladhron. There were few orcs remaining by this point, few enough that the men could fight them on the ground if necessary, though he hoped to be able to deal with them all without having to dismount. But, if they dragged Gladhron from his horse, things might go badly for him before the other two could come to his aid, so he hoped to stop that from happening.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Istari Sage

Dínen
Between Bree and the Forsaken Inn
@Rillewen

Dínen stayed further back than Gladhron and Daed, covering any attempts for the orcs to escape by going around the other two rangers. Having chosen to stay further back, Dínen sheathed his sword and picked up his recurve bow again, knocking an arrow quickly and firing towards an orc attempting to escape. Dínen comfortably controlled Lillawen with his legs alone, using both his hands to use his bow, it was a technique which he had practiced many times and Lillawen required very little direction. It seemed at least so far that the rangers might be successful, an impressive display over so many foes.

But when the fight seems over often disaster strikes. Dínen was looking the wrong way when he heard suddenly a call from Daed pointing to Galadhron. Dínen snapped his head quickly in the direction Daed was pointing and to his dismay Gladhron seemed in dire straits. Dínen was too far to intervene without potentially risking Gladhron being dismounted and with his bow still drawn Dínen opted for a risky shot. Dínen wasn't sure whether Gladhron or Daed would have taken the shot, or how they would feel after he did it, especially if it went awry. But Dínen did not have the time to ponder over alternative solutions.

The orc and Gladhron were wrestling for control, with the orc pulling Gladhron from his horse and simultaneously attempting to stab the horse in the neck. The two were close together and it was difficult, no impossible, to find a shot which did not at least risk striking Gladhron. The other option was to let Gladhron be dismounted by the orc, and so taking the shot seemed the lesser of two evils. As Gaeroch pulled suddenly away from the orc a small gap appeared separating Gladhron and the orc's head, but not by more than a few inches. Dínen took the shot. The arrow split through the sky towards Gladhron and the orc but much to Dínen's dismay as the arrow came closer, in their struggle, the Gladhron had been pulled back towards the orc!

The arrow struck home into the eye of the orc, but from where Dínen stood, it was difficult to say if the arrow had grazed or cut Gladhron on its path. Quickly, Dínen commanded Lillawen forward towards the younger ranger, aiming to intervene between him and the orcs gathering to the side of the one who had attempted to dismount him. As Dínen drew closer he shouted "Gladhron, are you okay?" in the elvish tongue, hoping that if his arrow had struck the boy on its path that it would be only superficial. His head turned towards the boy, Dínen did not see the orc approaching from his left as he intervened Lilawen between the orcs and Gaercoch. A cruel blade swept up from the orc and caught Dínen on the top of his thigh. Dínen let out ah gasp in pain as he snapped his head around to see his attacker. Lillawen did not hesitate, however, and lashed out, kicking the orc in the chest with her rear left leg, turning her body towards Gladhron as she did so. The orc let out a groan as it hit the floor, ribs and sternum cracked beneath the horse's brutal attack. Dínen's hand dropped to his thigh where blood was freely flowing. The cut had not struck a vital artery, at least, given that the blood flow was limited, but infection was always a concern especially with an orc's blade as the culprit.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Just as he was starting to think he'd be dragged from the saddle, the orc jerked back from him, an arrow sticking out of its eye, and then crumpled to the ground. With the adrenaline racing in his veins, Gladhron didn't even feel the arrow graze his arm, but he hastily released the orc's arm as it fell, so he wouldn't be pulled down with it. There were others though, and he was still slid partly to the side, saddle and all. He grabbed Gaeroch's mane and with a bit of effort, pulled himself upright again. There was something not right about that, he realized. It slid around too easily. Which meant... one of the straps must have been damaged. That worried him, for if the saddle's strap had been cut, then it was just as likely that Gaeroch had been cut... He'd have to make sure and check on her the moment all this was over.

"I'm fine, thanks," He responded in Sindarin, glancing around to see where the threats still existed. There were still a few orcs here and there.. a few that had been coming for him now changed direction, heading toward Dinen. Meanwhile Daed had cut off a pair of others who had started coming his way. Dinen was closer, and had more orcs troubling him, so Gladhron nudged Gaeroch toward them to come to the latter's aid in return, impaling one of them as soon as he rode up, as if he were a knight bearing a lance.

Daed was relieved to see the orc fall dead from Dinen's arrow, and wished he had a bow, himself... for the umpteenth time. Since he did not, he had to make do with what he did have, and slashed at the orcs on either side of him, chasing them down as they fled before Mael. Before long, he had no more left to slay. Glancing back toward Dinen and Gladhron, he saw that they were working together now to finish off a few more, but between them it shouldn't take much more time to vanquish the foes. He took a careful look around, checking if there were any others.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Istari Sage

Dínen
@Rillewen

A quick glance over to his two companions revealed that the rangers, somehow, had made it to the other side of the attack without any serious injury. The gash on Dínen's thigh stung badly and was bleeding still heavily. Dínen gritted his teeth, taking a moment from fighting, he reached into his pack which was tied to the side of Lillawen and pulled out several straps of linen cloth. Using the straps, Dínen was able to bind the wound tightly, in an attempt to put enough pressure to stop the bleeding. In a moment the once cream linen cloths were bright red, but the bleeding seemed to slow down and Dínen hope that it would suffice for the present.

There were no more orcs coming his way by now, and Dínen breathed a sigh of relief as he had not been attacked in surprise while he had been bandaging himself, he probably had his two companions to thank for that, he had heard the sounds of lingering combat while he worked. The risk of losing too much blood, however, had prevented him from assisting any further. Luckily, it did not look like the other rangers needed his help at present and the remaining orcs were either fleeing, dead, or soon to be so. Dínen wiped blood off Lillawen's coat "Sorry for that Lillawen" he lamented "I'll clean you up when we get back" he promised and the horse snorted and raised her head as if in begrudging acceptance of the promise.

"Is that the lot of them?" Dínen asked eventually looking over towards Gladhron and Daed.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Glancing around as he caught his breath, Daed slowly lowered his sword. "I think it is," He answered Dinen, somewhat amazed that they had managed to get through that with only a few cuts and scratches. "Are you alright? Need any bandaging?" he asked, noticing that the blood had seeped through the man's hastily done bandage already. He brought Mael close to Lillawen so he could speak to Dinen without calling across the battlefield, and took a closer look. "I'm no master healer, but I can throw on a few bandages, if needed." He mentioned.

Meanwhile, as soon as the last orc dropped, Gladhron sheathed his sword and hopped down from his saddle, trying to avoid putting his weight in the stirrups at all. As soon as his feet hit the ground, he rushed around to inspect her side. There was a gash, and the girth strap had been cut through. "It'll be alright girl," He promised, speaking softly to the horse in Rohirric as he carefully stroked her neck, calming her. That whole ordeal must have been very frightening to the horse, and he felt bad that she had gotten injured. He grabbed one of the saddlebags, one which Gwestion always insisted on him having, and laid it aside before taking the saddle off of her. He'd have to figure out how to fix that strap before he could try to use that again.

"I have some bandages and things in here, if you need any." He called, glancing over toward Dinen and Daed. He dug around in the bag, frowning as he tried to find something to help Gaeroch's cut. Remembering his canteen, he grabbed that from the saddle on the ground, and carefully poured some water onto the cut to try and wash it. Not for the first time in a while, Gladhron found himself wishing he knew as much about medical aid as his brother, but wishing didn't help much right now. He was just grateful that there were still some supplies in here. Wrapping a strip of cloth around his hand, he pressed that against Gaeroch's wound. She shied away, making it clear that was painful. "Shh, shh... I'm sorry, I know it hurts," He murmured, in Sindarin this time. "I have to stop the bleeding though. Just be calm," He tried to press more gently this time.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Gladhron and Gwestion
At some point before the War of the Ring
Some point along the road to Bree

"Here's a good spot to water the horses," Gladhron commented, slowing his chestnut horse to a stop. Gaeroch snorted softly as he dismounted and led her to the nearby brook running alongside the road at this spot.

Without a word, Gwestion copied his brother, dismounting from his smaller grey mare and led her toward the stream. Ever since leaving the inn, he'd been distracted and troubled. While Mael drank from the brook, Gwestion knelt by the bank a little upstream, and dunked his waterskin in to let it fill. His thoughts strayed to the months he had spent at the inn, recovering from his injuries. But mostly, the moment of his and Gladhron's parting.

"You will return, won't you?" Bel asked, catching up to Gwestion as he headed toward where Gladhron waited with the horses.
"Eventually, of course." he replied, turning toward her. He was surprised to see that she carried her father's sword in its scabbard. But before he could ask about it, she took his hand. "I'll miss you."
"I.. appreciate all that you've done for me, Bel." He responded quietly. "I cannot thank you enough for helping me through my recovery. But I've stayed overlong. We must go now."
"I know," She hesitated, sighed, then took his hand and gently pulled him down a little, while she rose up on tiptoe. Before he had a chance to react, she leaned in and kissed him.
Stunned, Gwestion stared speechlessly at her after she had pulled away.
Bel was blushing, he realized, as she held up the sword to him. "Here, take this along."
He looked from the sword, to her expectant face. "No, Bel. I couldn't take that.. it was your father's." he frowned.
"It's just a loan, Gwestion." She rolled her eyes. "Just take it, silly. Maybe you won't need it, but just in case. After you've got yours fixed or whatever, you can bring it back." She pushed it at him, determined.
Hesitantly accepting the weapon, Gwestion bowed his head respectfully to the young woman. "I am honored that you would trust me with something so valuable. I will endeavor to return this as soon as I'm able."
"So long as you return with it, I'll be happy." She replied with a grin.

He still remembered seeing her standing on the porch, watching them ride away. And that one night she had convinced him to come outside and look at the stars with her. Yet the kiss had really floored him. No girl had ever kissed him before. He had never been one to pursue romantic relationships. That was Gladhron's thing, not Gwestion's. He was still trying to sort out that complicated situation, and it was troubling. He wasn't really sure what to do, nor what to say to her when he did return...

"Uh, Gwestion?" Gladhron's voice broke through his distracted thoughts.

Glancing up, he gave his brother a questioning look.

"Thinking about Bel?" Gladhron asked with a grin.

Gwestion frowned at the unexpected question. "No." He answered, a little caught off guard by that. "Why?"

"Oh... no reason." Gladhron shrugged. "You just seem.. well, I've never seen you so distracted, before." He was struggling not to burst out laughing.

"What do you mean?" Gwestion asked, his frown deepening. "I'm not distracted."

"Sure." Gladhron nodded. "Right. Well, just a thought, but... that might fill up a little faster if you take off the lid." He nodded toward the waterskin, then grinned in amusement as he watched Gwestion look down.

Seeing that he had been holding the waterskin under the stream for a while now, with the lid still on it, Gwestion cleared his throat awkwardly and ducked his head down, hoping his embarrassment wouldn't be evident on his face. He pulled the cork out and put it back in the stream without a word.

"Bel! What are you doing here?" Gladhron exclaimed suddenly, looking at some point behind him.

Gwestion looked over his shoulder so swiftly he nearly lost his balance, alarmed at the thought that Bel might have followed them.. worried for what dangers she might have passed through.. only to see that there was no one there. He cast a scowl toward his idiot brother. "That isn't funny, you know." He grumbled. Jamming the cork back in, he strode back to Mael and focused on putting the waterskin in his saddlebag where he kept it.

Gladhron was laughing too hard to care how annoyed Gwestion was with him. "It was pretty funny, actually," he disagreed, grinning as he leaned back against a tree, still snickering. "Don't forget to fill your canteen."

Stopping as he was just about to mount his horse again, Gwestion let out a slow, silent sigh. He had forgotten it. This was very much unlike him, and it was frustrating. Yet he couldn't get that moment out of his head, and it bothered him. It was even more annoying that Gladhron was making fun of him about it. He shook his head to himself and grabbed the canteen before wordlessly returning to the brook. This time, he made sure to take off the cork before plunging it into the water. "You shouldn't make so much noise," He muttered. "Could be enemies in these woods."

"Oh, lighten up." Gladhron rolled his eyes. "You'd think your near-death experience would've made you enjoy living a bit more."

"You'd think yours would've taught you to be more cautious." Gwestion retorted, having heard all about his brother's activities, while Gwestion was recovering back at the Forsaken Inn.

Gladhron, however, seemed to ignore that comment. He had focused his gaze on a point somewhere behind Gwestion, straightening up slightly. "Hey..there's a lady," He commented in surprise.

Gwestion rolled his eyes. "Sure. Like I'm going to fall for that again," He muttered under his breath, without looking up from the canteen.

Either ignoring him, or not hearing him, Gladhron waved to the traveler, with a friendly smile spreading across his face. "Hello!" He called out a greeting. "Care to join us? There's plenty of room here, if your horse is thirsty."
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë
Third Age - before the War of the Ring
Somewhere along the road to Bree

While she was quite capable of stealth, she did not hold her heavy horse to such a standard. Besides, they were on the road, and possibly - contrary to what may be advisable, despite the ubiquitous dangers - she was unafraid. It was freeing, in a way. Here, no one knew her. She was only who she decided to be that day. Wearing grey and brown cloth and leather, her clothes gave nothing of herself away. A quiver of arrows jutted from behind one shoulder. A dark brown cloak hung from her shoulders, hiding most of her clothes from the sides, the hood now covered by her long, thick fall of golden hair.

She could hear voices nearby, although she could not make out the words. She checked whether her dagger freely lifted from its sheath at her belt. Being unafraid was one thing. Being careless was another, entirely. Her dark bay continued his path, undeterred. Her eyes were searching her surroundings for the source of the voices. She saw a chestnut mare by the stream before anything else.

"Hello!" soon came a friendly call from the side of the road. "Care to join us? There's plenty of room here, if your horse is thirsty." The accent sounded strange. Almost... was that a Rohirric tilt to the words that she caught?

Caution warred with curiosity for a moment. It had been a while since she had encountered a friendly face. Mentally, she shrugged. Why not? There only seemed to be two of them, anyway. Two... should not be a problem. "Good day," she returned the greeting easily - in a carefully clean Westron, so it would not immediately give away where she was from. Flipping her cloak off to the side, she dismounted fluidly and led her stallion to the brook, just a few yards away from the two men and their own mounts. They might now notice the longsword strapped to the horse's side that was facing them, as well as the shortbow attached to the back of the saddle. Once her horse was close enough to drink, she more attentively took in the men's horses. They looked well cared for, which brought a smile to her face. Her dark eyes then turned to the men. "Not a bad place for a break. Though I might have chosen one a bit further removed from the road." She opened one of her saddlebags and pulled out an apple. "Want one?" she asked, lightly throwing the piece of fruit into the air and catching it again without needing to look at it.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Gladhron and Gwestion

"Good day," A voice returned Gladhron's greeting.

Startled to realize that Gladhron had not been making it up, Gwestion straightened, turning to see a blond young woman with a dark bay horse. He looked over at Gladhron with slight incredulity. "Really?" he whispered, amazed at his brother. "You've no idea who she is.. what are you doing inviting her to join us?" He kept his voice low as the woman was making her way toward them.

"Oh hush," Gladhron rolled his eyes. "We ought to at least offer to accompany her to her destination. The roads are dangerous for anyone, but especially a lone female." He pointed out, as if that ought to have been obvious. "A pretty one at that," he added. "Besides, she looks like she may be Rohirric." He nudged Gwestion lightly in the ribs. "Maybe she's some distant relative? Or, she could even have a lead on you-know-what." He added, clearly an afterthought, but one which he thought Gwestion might appreciate.

Gwestion frowned slightly but made no further comment as the stranger reached the brook, a few yards from them. He put the cap on his canteen and moved to stand closer to his horse, where his borrowed sword was strapped. Just in case. His recurve bow was also there, though he wore his quiver on his back. He quietly observed the stranger, even as she appeared to be doing the same. He noted the sword and shortbow on her saddle, and the quiver of arrows on her back, and caught a glimpse of a dagger at her side when she had dismounted. Similar to their own gear, he thought, curious about the woman. Those things, along with the destrier she rode, implied she must know how to handle both herself, and the large horse. He suspected she was not the usual sort of woman who needed protecting.

Hearing her comment about the stream, and how she would have picked a different spot, Gwestion took a look around, noticing for the first time that they were rather near to the road. "As would I..." He couldn't help agreeing, and looked at Gladhron wondering how he could be so careless, holding back a sigh. Gwestion really hadn't been paying attention, and felt frustrated at himself for that. He should have noticed that sooner. Should have insisted on finding a better spot, instead of following his brother absentmindedly. 'Get her out of your head, Gwestion!' He chided himself.

Gladhron merely shrugged in reply. "We were only stopping a moment..."

The offer of an apple was a bit unexpected, and brought contrasting responses from the brothers.

"Ah, yes please!" Gladhron answered happily, the enthusiastic reply drowning out Gwestion's quiet, "No, thank you."

"Anything would be an improvement on his cooking," He grinned over at Gwestion, who was not amused.

"Well, then you're welcome to take up the task for yourself," Gwestion muttered, folding his arms. If anything was an improvement...

"I'm afraid we've nothing but a bit of jerky and hardtack to offer in return," He added apologetically to the woman, either not hearing, or ignoring, what Gwestion had said. "Though we might manage to hunt some game, if someone would agree to stop long enough to do so."

Rolling his eyes, Gwestion refrained from commenting that his brother was exaggerating somewhat. They'd only just left the Forsaken Inn less than a day ago, and Bel had ensured they had more than enough provisions to last them until Bree.

"We're on our way to Bree-" A sharp look from Gwestion led him to sigh and not finish the statement. He instead switched to asking about her. "What of yourself, miss? Perhaps we could see you safely to your destination? For, sadly, it isn't always very safe for travelers in these parts." He commented, with genuine concern. "Though I daresay your horse would defend you the best he could, if necessary." He added with a little grin, showing that he had not failed to recognize the signs of a trained warhorse. His own mare was more skilled in speed, but Gwestion's had some battle training, despite her smaller size.

Gwestion couldn't help wondering if his brother was purposely acting so foolishly trusting, just to spite him. He exhaled very slowly, so that his sigh was not audible. "He is right about that," He admitted, reluctantly. "There are many potential dangers to unwary travelers. And, due to that, I would advise against so quickly trusting strange men along the road." He frowned slightly. And, he couldn't help feeling even a tiny bit suspicious that she would come over to join them so readily, without a hint of suspicion toward them. "For all you know, we might be among those dangers." He pointed out with a raised eyebrow. Or, she might be one, he added mentally.

"Gwestion!" Gladhron turned to him in astonishment at those words, and smacked his arm. "You want her to think we're bandits or something? My apologies," He turned to her with a sigh. "my brother is overly paranoid," He rolled his eyes. "I assure you we are not.."

"But we could be, for all she knows." Gwestion said, stubbornly. "She has only our word that we mean her no harm, and no idea whether we can be trusted." He was further irritated that his brother had just announced his name, and the fact they were brothers, but he didn't comment on that. For now.

Exasperated, Gladhron rolled his eyes and looked a bit embarrassed as he turned to her again. "If we're offering advice to one another, then I would advise that you ignore him as much as possible. I usually do." He joked, with a thumb jabbed in Gwestion's direction. "He's suspicious of everyone, and thinks everyone else should be just as suspicious of everyone else." He rolled his eyes. "But I promise, we have no ill intentions."

"And I suppose you can say without any doubt that she has no ill intentions, either?" Gwestion asked Gladhron. "Do you never learn?" He asked in a lowered voice, frustrated. Seriously, after at least twice being nearly killed because he'd trusted a woman.. one would think the guy would learn a little caution, at least.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She raised an eyebrow when one of the men said he would have chosen a different spot as well. She assumed, therefore, they had ended up here after at least a small discussion. And that the bearded man had won the argument. When the latter eagerly accepted her offer of an apple even as the former declined, her dark eyes sought out Gladhron's and then tossed the apple over to him with perfect aim. She pulled out another apple, hiding her amusement while the two men engaged in what she would call amiable banter.

About to answer the half-offer or jerky or hardtack, she closed her mouth again when the more outspoken of the two continued, only to be cut off by the other man by no more than a look. Wetting her lips to keep from smiling at the easy way between these two, the bearded man's concern actually brought on a different kind of smile. Not one of amusement, but a genuinely appreciative one. Who ever said gallantry was dead in these parts? Her smile grew when the man complimented her stallion. That was a sure way to break the ice with her, and she nodded her whole-hearted agreement to that statement.

The mood turned somewhat when the other man chided her for actually approaching them. She let the words wash over her as she observed them both and nodded thoughtfully. Soon she learned one of their names, as well as at least one of the reasons there was no filter between them. Brothers. Although, she noted, they seemed quite different in character.

When it seemed like the two had hit a natural pause in the conversation between them, she decided to take her chance. "Gwestion is right, of course," she shrugged lightly. "For all I know, you are looking to harm me. And for all you know, I am looking to do the same." She demonstratively took a bite from the apple in her hand, chewed and swallowed. She held up the apple slightly, her dark brown eyes glinting with humor. "No poison, promise." She fed the rest of the apple to her mount. "Either way, most people would say that the two of you would have the advantage. And that would make me a fool for hailing your call."

Wiping her hand at her pants, she slanted her head as she looked from one brother to another. "Or... we are simply three good-natured souls on the road to Bree." She took one step forward, then halted. "I'd introduce myself and shake hands with you both, if I didn't think one of you might rather cut it off..." The statement trailed off, forming a question.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Gladhron and Gwestion

"You see?" Gwestion said quietly to Gladhron, when the lady actually agreed with him about the possibility that she could be looking to hurt them. He hadn't expected her to agree on the matter, but it was absolutely true.

"Yes, because bad people always warn others when they plan to hurt them." Gladhron rolled his eyes, catching the apple easily. "Thank you," he added to her with a smile, which turned to a teasing one as he turned to Gwestion. "See? Not poisoned." He barely refrained from sticking out his tongue childishly, but only barely. "By the way, I must disagree with you there." He said to the lady with a teasing glint in his grey-blue eyes. "Gwestion, right? You must be mistaken." He grinned at his brother, who did not seem to be listening, then looked back at the lady with a little laugh at her comment about the danger of having her hand cut off. "There is no need to fear any attack from either of us, I promise." He assured her. "Besides, his sword is-"

"Shh!" Gwestion hushed him abruptly, frowning as he stared intently toward the road in the direction they'd yet to travel. It went around a curve just after this, and the woods were thick enough that their view of the road ahead was blocked by all the trees. But he had thought he heard a shout, and perhaps a horse whinnying.

"Well.. he may or may not shake your hand, but he won't cut it off." Gladhron carried on without paying attention to his brother, shrugging. Assuming Gwestion had only wanted to stop him from finishing the sentence he'd started, he turned back to the lady. "But alas, I have forgotten my manners," He realized. "I am Gladhron," He smiled, offering out a hand to shake as he moved a couple of steps nearer to her. "And, as you must have gathered, Mr. Grumpy Paranoid here is my younger brother, otherwise known as Gwestion." He explained with an amused glance in his brother's direction.

"Quiet," Gwestion whispered, holding up a hand as he tried to listen, moving a few steps away. As it happened, though his 'shh' had been well timed to stop his brother from revealing information he would rather was not revealed.. he hadn't even been listening to what he was saying, by that point. He was trying to decide if he had heard voices or not. With Gladhron talking, it was difficult to tell much of anything for sure. "I.. think I heard something," He muttered in explanation, frowning slightly as he moved a few more steps toward the forest, listening harder.

"Trouble?" Gladhron lowered his voice as the cheerful, carefree tone shifted to a slightly more serious one, though with a heavy amount of skepticism mixed in. He wondered, was Gwestion only making up an excuse to shut him up, or was it something real?
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She kept the smile when Gladhron thanked her for the apple and continued to poke fun at his brother. Gwestion's sudden shushing distracted her, and her expression became more serious as her eyes automatically followed the man's gaze toward the road. She tore her gaze away when the friendlier of the two introduced himself and approached. Her muscles tensed, but she thought his smile was honest. Glahdron and Gwestion, her mind repeated. Two brothers out on the road, looking like being out on the road was what occupied most of their time. She reached out with her hand in turn, taking a few steps closer as well and shaking Gladhron's hand with a gentle touch. About to give them the name she had mostly been using up here, Gwestion's whisper halted her and she stilled automatically. Her hand was still holding Glahdron's as she listened intently to whatever it was that Gwestion might have heard.

Just when Gladhron inquired if his brother thought it was trouble, she thought she heard a man's voice. With all her time in the armed forces, she recognized the bark of orders when she heard it. Could be a group of... well, as far as she knew there were no real soldiers around these parts. It could still be nothing to worry about. But the odds were in favor of the contrary, she figured. Swiftly, she let go of Gladhron's hand and moved to her stallion to retrieve her bow. She tied the bowstring, smoothly testing it with two fingers when she was done. With a practiced ease, she hooked her bow to her quiver on her back and moved to unsheathe her longsword from the scabbard tied to her dark bay.

She glanced over at the two brothers with a questioning look in her eyes, but did not speak before going up to the road, crossing it and weaving her way into the trees. Her stallion was simply left near the brook. He did not seem bothered.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Gladhron and Gwestion

Now that Gladhron had stopped talking, Gwestion was able to hear a bit more clearly. He gave a silent nod in answer to his brother's inquiry, and looked back to find the woman had rushed over to her horse. He hesitated briefly, unsure whether he ought to be concerned. There was a possibility that she might be a part of this trouble, and was intending to take them out before they could have a chance to interfere. But the way she moved with urgency, and then gave them a questioning look as if to ask 'you coming?' made him lean more towards the thought that she was, at least in some way, like them. Anxious to lend aid where it was needed.

He made no move to hinder her as he, instead, retrieved his own weapons from Mael's saddle, wishing he'd had the sword already on his side. But it did tend to tap against the horse's side as he rode, when he wore it like that, so he had chosen to keep it on her saddle, instead. But, at least his bow was ready to shoot, since he liked to be ready in case of anything.

"Wait... it might be dangerous," Gladhron called in a whisper, alarmed to watch the woman hasten toward the potential threat. He started after her, intending to keep close to her in case she needed help.

Gwestion caught his arm and stopped him. "She clearly knows how to fight, I don't think she needs protecting." He pointed out, quietly. "I'm going to cut through the woods on this side, and circle around to find out what's going on." he decided, figuring it would be better to surround any potential enemies, if possible. With at least one of the three of them on either side of the road, he hoped that the woman would prove to be an ally, and not an enemy. With that, he set off, leaving Gladhron to decide his own plan.

Gladhron hesitated, but reluctantly acknowledging that maybe she would be fine. He was thinking swiftly while he readied his bow, watching Gwestion set off through the woods. After a brief moment of indecision, he crossed the road and moved stealthily in among the trees, not exactly trying to catch up to her, but moving along the same direction that she had gone. Thinking he might provide backup for her, at the very least.

Around the bend of the road, once they got a view of what was going on, they would be able to see that there was a cart stopped in the middle of the road, and some people standing around it. From a distance, it was difficult to tell much else about what was happening.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

A faint smile came to her face as she caught Gladhron's words of warning on her way to the trees. If only he knew.

When she got close enough to see the scene, she chose a broad tree with plenty of thicket off to one side to take up position for now. First, she had to get a better sense of what was what. Then she supposed her course of action should become clear, regardless of what Gladhron and Gwestion would choose to do. Assuming they were, as she had suggested, good-natured souls.

She stood sideways behind the tree and slid part of the longsword into the soil between her and the trunk, between the roots snaking out from the base. Slowly, she reached for her bow and an arrow as she listened. The man's voice she had heard earlier was much louder now, and audible. The words brought a frown to her face, and she carefully peeked past the tree in order to have the visual that would add a better perspective to the audio. A cart stood in the middle of the road. The travellers were easy enough to pinpoint. A woman in a dark red dress. A man in a dark ochre shirt and dark trousers. A boy that could not be older than 13 or 14, standing between them. A small family, making their way to Bree for something or other.

The people around them were not dressed like travellers. And they were standing around the three others in a way she did not like at all. Threatening. Her gaze swept over the scene, counting them. She looked at the woods around her and behind her, too - to check if there were no others of this 'merry' band hiding nearby, as well as trying to catch a sign of Gladhron and Gwestion. If they had chosen to follow. It would be ideal if at least one of them were to position himself on the other side of the road... but that was beyond her control.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

Moving as stealthily as he knew how, Gladhron was glad for the time he had spent traveling with his father. He may not remember all that his father had attempted to impart to him, but nor had he forgotten all, either. He was only a little behind the woman, so he had a general sense of where she was, even though she kept moving out of his line of sight.

In truth, while Gwestion may think whatever he liked, Gladhron had weighed the options. He knew that his little brother was more than capable of taking up a position around on the other side of the road, without drawing attention to himself. Furthermore, he knew that unless there were quite a lot of enemies to deal with, Gwestion could handle himself well enough. Further still, Gwestion had pointed out that the woman was well armed, and likely could do the same. But he had decided it might be best for one of them to keep an eye on her, until they were surer of her alignment with all of this.

Bow in hand, with an arrow already resting on his string, he crouched behind a thick cluster of bushes, where he could just see the woman, partially at least in his peripheral vision, through the leaves of the tree where she was hiding. While he didn't see any reason to be standoffish and unfriendly, he also didn't intend to blindly trust that this stranger would have their backs, when they didn't even know her. Not that he planned to admit that to his brother, who probably assumed that he just wanted to stick close to the pretty girl and protect her. He'd have rolled his eyes if he wasn't using them to peer through the foliage and find out what was going on by that cart. To the other side, he could see the group on the road. There was definitely trouble, but he waited to find out more before he did anything.

and Gwestion
Other side of the road

Moving as swiftly as he could while keeping the noise to a minimum, Gwestion paused beside a tree that had fallen over, the roots still clinging to a mass of earth that had been ripped out of the ground. He cautiously peered around the edge of the wall of dirt, frowning as he watched the scene before, on the road, slightly below. A bank sloped downward toward the road from his position, meaning he was a bit elevated. He scanned the forest on the other side, but as expected, saw no sign of Gladhron. Nor of the lady who had yet to give her name. He briefly wondered if it was intentional or coincidental, but put that aside for now.

Below, there were at least ten men. Half of them were searching the cart, tossing belongings out into the road, rummaging through chests, and so on. Gwestion's eyes narrowed slightly at this sight. The couple, with the young boy between them, watched with fearful expressions on their faces, while not daring to move, as three other men stood around them threateningly. Another man, who might have been about Gwestion's age, perhaps even a little younger, was calling out orders to the others. While not really doing much, himself. Gwestion's gaze followed him for a moment, watching as he kicked through a pile of clothes dumped on the ground, then went over to speak to some of the other men who were still searching in the cart. He remembered Bel's account of the bandits who had troubled her on her way to bring a healer to him. Thank the Valar Gwandhyra had been there to save her, but she had told him about one of those bandits who'd gotten away. This man matched the description she had given, and he found his grip tightening slightly on his bow.

Taking a slow breath, he scanned the forest around him, but saw no sign of hidden archers. A few of the men down there had bows, so he assumed that they had probably been hidden, but came out of hiding when the unfortunate victims were subdued. That was a mistake, he thought grimly. Because now, the bandits had no one to cover them from surprise attacks.

"Alright," The weasly-looking fellow called once it seemed the search was concluded, loud enough that Gwestion was able to hear him clearly. "Grab whatever's valuable, burn the rest. And get rid of them," he gestured with a thumb over his shoulder. "The horse is mine." He smirked and moved for the horse that had once pulled the cart.

Gwestion fitted an arrow on his string, watching the three men guarding the prisoners turn toward them, clearly without any qualms about obeying. One of them was standing nearest to Gwestion's position, while the other two were on the far side. His own shot was obvious, the man nearest him. But he didn't know whether he could get the other two without risking the prisoners. Hopefully, Gladhron was in position to get at least one of them, so they could save those innocent travelers from being slain. He tried not to think about the 'wildcard' out there somewhere near his brother... the woman neither of them knew nothing about.

Trusting in his forest-toned clothing to help keep him camouflaged, Gwestion stepped a little further from his hiding spot, and drew back his arrow. The recurve only made a soft thwump as he released, thanks to the small strips of rabbit fur wound around the string, both at top and bottom. As the man nearest Gwestion was raising a dagger to slay the man, the arrow zipped through the air and struck him in the ribs, just under the arm he had just raised. As the man staggered to the side before falling to the ground in pain, Gwestion thought he couldn't have timed it better if he'd tried. As swiftly as he'd seen that his arrow hit its mark, he readied another arrow, but didn't have a clear shot of any other bandits just yet.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

Gladhron had followed her. He had most of his attention on the cart, however. Returning her own eyes to the scene as well, she nocked her arrow and paid close attention. Before taking any action, she had to be sure the action was deserved. And even though it was clear to her that the group was bothering the family and were likely up to no good, this did not mean they necessarily deserved to die. Perhaps they were starving. Or they had starving families. Part of her clung to the hope they would see reason, only take what they absolutely had to and not leave the family with nothing.

But soon it turned out that they were not only going to take some food or money. They were planning on taking anything and everything the travellers had that might have value. They were going to burn the rest of it - the why of which was beyond her. At the words 'And get rid of them' , followed by that careless gesture at the small family, an expression of disgust found its way to her face. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Wasn't there enough evil in the world, without them turning on one another?

She gritted her teeth when a dagger was raised, and she hurried to pull back the bowstring completely and take aim. The intended victim was mostly blocking her view, though, and she was looking for a good shot when an arrow struck the man - from the other side of the road. Gwestion, most likely...
Alarm bells went off in her mind when she saw the other two jumping to action. Neither of them turned to their fallen 'comrade', but quickened to execute the orders they'd been given. Frowning, she sighed as she took aim. Once the breath had left her lungs, she released.

Her first arrow embedded itself in the neck of the man whose body language was screaming he was about to slice the boy's throat with a brutal backhand knife attack. Her second arrow pierced the sword hand of the third man crowding the family, who'd raised his shortsword at the woman. He froze and then cried out after seeing the arrow through his hand.

She looked back at Gladhron, a stricken look on her face, and pointed two fingers at her eyes, then toward the cart, finally tapping her bow. Trying to convey a message. There were a few with bows down there. They would need to be taken out, first.
As for her, she needed to move from her position to avoid being pinpointed. She pulled her longsword from the ground again, and with her bow in her left hand, sword in her right, she moved toward Gladhron's position, fast but stealthily, stopping just a ways before she reached him, crouching low behind the greenery, laying down her sword carefully and reaching for another arrow. She would target one of the archers, next, if the brothers had not taken them out yet.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

As they watched, the bandits prepared to slaughter the victims. Gladhron's eyes widened slightly, and he drew back his bowstring. But, before he had a chance to take his shot, one of the men on the far side staggered and fell, an arrow buried deep in his side. Good work, Gwestion! Gladhron smiled grimly as he spared half a second to seek the best target for his own arrow.

The woman fired off two in quick succession, and Gladhron was further impressed. She'd clearly had a better angle from which to shoot, but he was determined not to be outdone. Catching sight of her trying to convey some message, he glanced toward her, then nodded. Good plan, taking out the archers. As the outlaws leaped into action, alarmed by the unexpected shots coming at them, he added his own into the mix. One of the bandit archers had swiftly placed an arrow on his string, scanning the forests as he crouched beside the cart, but he never got to take a shot. Gladhron's arrow struck him in the shoulder, rendering that arm useless, and his bow fell to the ground as he clutched his wounded shoulder.

Another arrow came from the other side of the road, felling another bandit with a crossbow, and Gladhron readied another. Aware that the woman had moved closer, he spared a quick glance toward her, nodded, then sought another target. There had been five archers to start, by the looks of it, and there seemed to be only three left. But then, one of those began shooting into the trees, toward where Gladhron believed Gwestion to be. Trying to stifle his alarm at that, the older brother drew his bow and fired, though his aim was a bit hasty, and struck the man in the back of the leg, rather than the shoulder, where he'd been aiming.

Crying out in pain, the archer looked around from where he'd fallen to the ground. "Over there!" He shouted to his fellow archers, pointing toward where he had been shooting. "There's at least one that way," He pointed back toward where the other arrow had come from. "And another one over here, maybe more. Take 'em out before they get us all!"

and Gwestion
Other side of the road

The moment arrows began to fly, the bandits below were frantically trying to find the source. As the remaining two by the family were stopped, just before carrying out their orders, Gwestion couldn't help but notice that the arrow sticking out of the one guy's hand was not Gladhron's. So, the woman was helping. Good, that was a relief. He saw one of his brother's arrows hit the bandit crouching by the cart.

One of the men raised a crossbow, peering toward the forest where Gwestion's shots were coming from. The young ranger let his second arrow fly, then swiftly ducked behind the clump of dirt and roots. After waiting a few heartbeats, he cautiously peered out from the other side, and slowly made his way in a half-crouch along the fallen tree trunk. It was large, and provided nice cover. Once he was nearer to the upper portion of the tree, where the leaves were dead and shriveled, but still plentiful, he readied another arrow.

There was much shouting and chaos below. The bandits were confused, as arrows seemed to be flying from all directions. Two bandits hastily grabbed the woman and the boy, each using them as a shield while moving toward the cover of the cart, while the archers sought for targets to shoot. In the midst of it all, Gwestion's gaze was drawn toward the young man who seemed to be in charge, watching him leap onto the horse that he had claimed, apparently hoping it would carry him away from the danger. The horse was frightened, and 'danced' around in nervousness for a moment while he struggled to get it to cooperate. He was fairly sure that was the man who had tried to harm Bel, who had escaped, and now had ordered the deaths of three innocent people. He must be the leader, and therefore, he was one of those who should be stopped. Blue-grey eyes narrowed as Gwestion drew his arrow back, took aim.. and fired. But the moment he let it loose, he huffed out a sigh of frustration. It wasn't going to hit where he intended, and he knew it. The man had got the horse under control in those few seconds, and set off down the road. With a tiny bit of satisfaction, Gwestion did hear him cry out in pain, but he couldn't see where his arrow had landed. But he had hit him, just not where he intended.

He turned his attention back to the others, then tensed in alarm as an arrow zipped past his ear. Heart racing, he ducked down below the tree trunk. After waiting a moment, he saw another arrow fly overhead and hit a tree somewhere behind where he'd been standing, at the same height as the other. Frowning, he risked a look over the trunk, and saw that the archer appeared to be merely guessing at his location, based on where he had seen the arrows come from. He ducked down again, thinking swiftly. He needed to move... preferably around to the far side so he could get at the men cowering behind the cart. Moving as quietly as possible, Gwestion crawled back along the length of the fallen tree, then kept in a low crouch as he hurried across a gap between trees, to hide behind a wide oak tree a couple of yards away. From there, he ducked behind a cluster of bushes, moving in a crouch along those, as he worked on maneuvering himself around to get a good angle to shoot those huddling behind the cart.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She calmly found her center amidst the chaos. Analyzing the situation made their next steps obvious. The archers needed to be taken out first. Two remaining, unhurt. One, shot in the leg but still able to wield his bow. Gladhron was probably worried about his brother, who was drawing most of the bandit arrows at the moment. That meant she would have the best chance to take good aim. Still calm. Still untargeted, since she'd moved. The only enemy arrow that had gotten close had been one aimed at their general direction, but it was obvious to her that the bandits did not yet have a good lock on their position. Yes, go ahead

Pulling up her brown hood, she breathed in. Found her target with her eyes. Breathed out. Breathed in. Took aim - just over the leafy branches, even as her intended target was peering into her direction. Breathed out. And released. The arrow struck the archer on the front of his torso, under the clavicle of his aiming arm. She smiled. No more shooting for him. He staggered back, then let out an angry yell as he broke off the arrow.
Meanwhile, she was already looking for her next target. The other unharmed archer was looking to the other side of the road, releasing arrows at Gwestion, and the one who'd gotten hurt in the leg by Gladhron's arrow was momentarily distracted by the bandit she had just disabled. Both were their main targets. Priority?

Frowning, the choice was made quickly. It seemed like the first one had a good idea of Gwestion's location. Maybe, maybe not... Hopefully, Gwestion had moved by now. Regardless, the one with the wounded leg hadn't yet locked into Gladhron or herself. So it was best to take out the possible highest threat. And while she did not have the perfect disabling shot... there was another option. She gritted her teeth. These were clearly bandits. Outlaws. People who killed their victims. She did not know anything about Gwestion, really, other than that he seemed the cautious type and was clearly willing to help this travelling family.

Another arrow left her bowstring. It struck the archer targeting the other side of the road in the back, along the spine between his shoulder blades. It would not kill right away, but she'd clearly severed the link to his legs, for he crumpled to the ground.

Hooking her bow to her quiver, she picked up her longsword and prepared. "Get the last one!" she called out to Gladhron as she broke cover and headed straight for the cart. Close to which the man had been turning around, crouching low once the arrows had started zipping through the air. And where the at least two of the bandits were keeping the boy and the woman.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

The man, seeing his wife and son dragged off as hostages, had made a vain attempt to snatch his son away from the nearest bandit, but took a blow to the face that had seemed to stun him for the moment. He was lucky he didn't get killed, but the bandit seemed far more worried about himself at the moment. Still, while the bandit hurried backward to the shelter of the wagon, dragging the protesting boy along with him, the man looked unsure what to do. There were four men still to deal with, two injured, two holding hostages. Between them, they managed to overturn the cart, thus effectively shielding themselves from arrows.

While the bandit with an arrow in the back of his leg was trying to point out where their enemies were, one of the others took up where the other had left off, firing arrow after arrow toward where Gwestion had been, hoping to get a lucky shot. But rather than staying in one spot like the previous guy, this one moved toward the forest in that area, peering hard between the trees, apparently hoping to spot the other archer. Until.. suddenly, an arrow got him from behind, and he collapsed to the ground. The woman's arrow may have saved Gwestion, and Gladhron glanced toward her with a grateful expression.

The one who still had an arrow in his leg had, by now, dragged himself toward the cart, seeking cover. He paused halfway there when his buddy took an arrow in the back, and then swiftly fired off a couple of arrows toward where that one had come from, desperate to stop their unseen enemies.

Gladhron was not quite expecting the woman to rush out toward the bandits, and caught her parting words as she did so. He focused his attention on the remaining archer. He'd shot the guy once already, but he was still posing a danger. Assuming that the man's fire would be drawn toward the woman now that she was moving toward them, Gladhron raised up from his hiding place, so that he could have a clearer aim. His arrow sped toward the guy, striking him in the torso just before he took a shot at the woman as she was heading toward the cart.

Unwilling to be left out of the action, Gladhron hastened to follow her, drawing his sword as soon as he was out of the trees. He wasn't sure what she intended to do, but he paused briefly beside the clearly frightened man. "Get over there, now, stay down!" He ordered, figuring that if it came down to a fight with weapons like swords and whatever these bandits had available to them, he'd rather have as many innocents out of the way as possible.

and Gwestion
Other side of the road

The bandit's archers continued to fly toward the point where he had previously been, but also toward the point where he believed Gladhron still was. That did concern Gwestion somewhat, but he tried to focus on the task at hand; making his way around behind them. He only caught bits of what was going on, whilst moving carefully through the trees. The bandits who were left had pushed the cart over, using it as shelter. He saw an archer go down, then another.

When he saw the husband/father get hit by the bandit trying to carry his wife away, Gwestion paused, peering around a tree, and saw no evident injuries, so he moved on. He tried to lock away his own feelings and thoughts about it all, but he couldn't help a quick flash of memory of the scene of his own tragic homecoming some years ago, finding the place in ruins, his own father murdered, trying to protect their mother and sister. He shook his head, determined not to let his own unpleasant memories cloud his thoughts now. He needed to focus, and perhaps this family would not suffer that same grief. The other woman and boy were in more danger from their captors than the man, and Gwestion was in a hurry to get to a place where he could get a clear shot at the bandits, just in case.

Another archer was stopped, then another. He was nearly in position. Just about that time, the Mystery woman emerged from the woods, sword drawn, moving straight toward the cart where the remaining bandits were hiding from the arrow-fire. Gwestion was mildly surprised by that, unsure whether a bold approach like that was the best plan, but he also realized that neither she, nor Gladhron could do much to help the family without a clear shot of the bandits. He spotted Gladhron just a little ways behind her, and exhaled softly in relief to see him instructing the man to get out of the danger zone. Thankfully, he heeded the young ranger's words and hurried off to the far side of the road, although he still looked worried and anxious as he looked, from behind a tree, toward where his family was still held hostage.

Gwestion focused his gaze back on the bandits who currently had their backs to him, unaware of his position. Carefully observing all that he could about them, he counted four left who were holding out against them; one who had previously taken an arrow to the shoulder, clearly in pain but determinedly gripping a dagger as if preparing to take down as many foes as he could before he was permanently stopped. The arrow had been broken off by now, and he was crouching beside the front part of the cart, peeking around now and then to see what was going on. Beside him, another bandit held the boy in a tight grip while he crouched behind the cart, cautiously risking a look over the top as if to scan the area and see if he could spot the ones shooting at them. He wore a sword at his side.

Another bandit was clutching a bleeding hand close to his chest, muttering curses in a pained tone of voice as he hid close to the middle of the overturned cart. He was wrapping the wounded limb in strips of cloth torn or cut from a sheet that was lying near them. He had carried his shortsword with him when he ran for cover, and Gwestion wondered if he was skilled enough to use his off-hand, with the dominant one injured as it was. The last of the four was holding the woman near the back of the cart, holding a big knife close to her.

Gwestion's gaze narrowed slightly as he readied an arrow, waiting for just the right moment. His intention was, when Gladhron and Mystery woman had gotten close enough, he would wait to see what happened. If it seemed necessary, he would then reveal himself while aiming an arrow at them from behind, and order them to surrender. He was hoping, that they would see that they were covered from all sides, realize they were trapped with no escape, and give up without any more fighting. The woman's fearful sobs, pleading with the men not to hurt her son, were very difficult for him to hear, but he did his best to tune it out and focus.

When the bandits spotted the two coming toward them with swords drawn, rather than bows, it seemed that they decided there were no more arrows to worry about. They glanced briefly at one another and nodded with grins. Then, the one with the panicked woman quickly popped out of hiding, dragging her out with him. He scowled at the two sword-wielding people, gripping her tightly while he held a big knife up threateningly to her neck as he addressed Gladhron and the other woman. "That's far enough!" He snarled. "Toss them swords down, or I swear I'll-" He choked suddenly before finishing the threat, as Gwestion's arrow struck him in the back, piercing a lung. He dropped the knife before collapsing to the ground, struggling for breath. The woman let out a shriek of alarm and stepped hastily away from him, wide-eyed with fright. She looked toward her husband, then back toward the bandits who still had her son, obviously torn between rushing for safety, or trying to do something to help her son, as if there was anything she could do.

Gwestion gritted his teeth, displeased to have had to kill the guy, but he'd had to quickly make a choice between taking a non-lethal shot that might have left the bandit a chance to harm the woman, or.. this. Hoping she'd take the chance to run, he swiftly readied another arrow, as the remaining bandits looked around in panic, realizing that they were not yet safe from archers, and still had the boy as a hostage. The one holding the kid shifted to keep him as a shield between himself and the remaining archer, which blocked Gwestion from having a clear shot of the bandit, much to his annoyance. Gwestion's eyes narrowed as he kept out of sight for now, deciding to wait a moment and see how things might develop next.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

What was she thinking, one might wonder? Why not continue to pick them off protected by the cover of the woods?

Her sword was in her left hand - her off hand, though none of the bandits would be able to tell from the way she was holding the weapon. Only one arrow zipped past her on her way to the cart. None followed. Dark eyes glanced toward the last archer who'd posed a threat. He was on the ground, no longer moving as far as her quick assessment could tell. Good.

She heard words behind her, protective words, uttered in a rush. Gladhron wasn't far behind her. Mentally, she scowled. This was the problem with people she did not know, people she had not trained with or who did not know the way her mind worked. Hopefully his brother would remain hidden and had not yet spent all his arrows. They needed at least one of them as a quiet threat from afar in order for the bandits not to be able to use the boy or woman against her. Them - she corrected herself. Against her and Gladhron.

Sure enough, the man with a knife to the woman's throat tried to do as much. She halted her steps suddenly. Men with no regard for human life other than their own were so predictable. One of her eyebrows lifted when the bandit started gurgling, dropped his weapon and then collapsed to the ground, releasing the woman.

Sword still in her left hand, she looked at the woman. "You have no weapons," she said more gently. "We are his best bet." She nodded at the boy. Please. Go to your husband." Lifting her left shoulder, her attention shifted to the bandit holding the boy hostage. "Bad idea to try and force our hand," she noted stoically. "I would not try the same again." She called her own bluff at once, taking a step closer. "Try, and your fate will be the same. You are no longer the predator." Her right hand gestured at the wider area. As your fellows will attest." Resisting the urge to share a look with Gladhron, to convey to him she wanted him to let her complete her gambit, she kept her eyes on the bandits instead. She knew that not trying to communicate with Gladhron would give a much stronger impression that they were a close knit unit.

"You have a choice." Dark eyes bore into the bandit's, the one still holding the boy. "You can try and use him. And end up like..." she looked pointedly at the bandit closeby, struggling to take his last breaths even as she spoke. "Or you can release him and choose to use that sword of yours to fight one of us." Her right hand gestured between her and Gladhron. "If you beat the one you choose, you will live."

The bandit glowered at her, then focused his attention on Gladhron instead. "If I choose to fight one of you, you won't shoot me? If I win fair and square, you will not kill me?"

She kept her silence, leaving it up to Gladhron to aswer. Clearly, the bandit thought he was the one with the higher authority. And since she had none to speak of here, who was she to claim it anyway? She assessed the other two remaining men, who were clearly sizing Gladhron and her up in turn.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

Without their leader there telling them what to do, the men seemed a bit uncertain. This was about survival now, and having seen more than half of their group slain before they knew what was happening, there was a real fear of being killed as well. But getting captured would be just as bad, for then they would be executed, probably. So, being offered a chance to come out of this situation alive was not likely to be passed up.

As the man addressed him with his question, Gladhron struggled not to smirk. He was pretty good at archery, but he was far better with a sword, and considered that his main weapon. He only hoped the woman was also good, in case the bandit picked her to fight. "You heard the lady," He answered, raising an eyebrow at the fact that he'd asked him, rather than her, when she was the one who had offered this 'deal'. "The offer is only good for a short time, however," he added, narrowing his eyes. "And it is only good for as long as that boy remains unharmed."

"Yeah, and how do we know this ain't some trick?" One of the men called, suspicious. "We've got a hostage right now, but the moment we let this kid go, you're gonna tell that archer to shoot, right? So, we're not giving up our leverage that easy. Think we're stupid?" He laughed mockingly.

Gladhron rolled his eyes and glanced toward the mystery woman with mild exasperation before addressing the outlaws again. "Yes, actually. We're giving you a fair chance to come out of this thing alive." He pointed out. "More than a fair chance, in fact. Don't you realize you're surrounded?" He laughed. "Our archers out there can shoot a squirrel's eye from over a hundred yards away." He declared, perhaps bragging slightly. While he wasn't personally that good, he knew his brother was, and he was the one still covering them with the bow. He watched the men shift and exchange nervous glances. "The only reason you haven't all been picked off by now, is that we're trying to give you a chance here." He shrugged. "If you aren't smart enough to take this opportunity, then I suppose we might as well just finish you all off and be done with it." He raised a hand as if signaling to multiple people hiding in the woods. "Ready your arrows-"

"WAIT!" The bandit raised both hands swiftly. "No need for that." He decided with a quick glance back at the woods, and narrowed his eyes as he faced the other two again. "I'll fight." He pulled the boy along with him as he stepped out from behind the wagon, glancing from Gladhron to the woman. "I'll fight her." He decided with a smirk, figuring the woman was less likely to know how to use a sword. Although perhaps he should have remembered the skill of the Copperheads' leader, and especially that of her daughter, when it came to blades.

and Gwestion
Other side of the road

While he kept his arrow on the string, Gwestion kept the string relaxed, though his hand was ready to draw it back at any moment. He watched the frightened woman rush toward her husband at last, though he wasn't sure what the other woman had said to her. At least she was no longer in the way. Now, just the boy was in danger still, and he very much hoped they would be able to remedy that soon.

Mystery woman's challenge was interesting, and he watched the bandit's response curiously. Naturally, they were suspicious, but when he heard Gladhron boasting about his(Gwestion's) skill with the bow, he had to hold back a sigh, and rolled his eyes. He wished he had not done that, but there was no taking it back now. At least they believed there were more than one of him, but still. He preferred not to let his foes know what he was capable of, and then let them underestimate him if they would.

Seeing that the bandit had chosen to fight the woman, Gwestion nearly rolled his eyes again. It seemed they were, indeed, the type to underestimate their opponents. He made a mental note of that, and kept an eye on the other two while the swordsman stepped out to challenge her. He breathed a quiet sigh of relief when he saw the bandit push the boy toward Gladhron, who then sent him toward his waiting parents. Now, he only hoped the mystery woman's skill with a sword is as good as he suspected, based on her graceful movements, and other observations he had made.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She left the talking up to Gladhron, since the bandits seemed to want to talk to him more than her, anyway. Her time, meanwhile, was spent in quiet assessment - and hidden satisfaction at how Gladhron confirmed her words and followed the same plan without him needing any further explanation or indication on her part. When the ranger basically confirmed out loud he thought the remaining criminals were lacking in mental brainpower, she had to hide a smirk. The right corner of her lips still went up ever so slightly.

When the bandit who'd been holding the boy, gave him up and chose her - with a smirk - she sighed visibly. "Oh no," she said in a deadpan tone, unable to resist adding something she would usually consider immature behaviour. "Whatever shall I do now," she stated rather than asked.

She looked over at Gladhron, slanting her head. "Is this a fight to the death, warleader?" The question was both very serious (for life and death was not a joking matter, in her mind - yet she figured the brothers possibly knew much more about ruffians in these parts to be able to make a better assessment than she could), but the way she was using the bandits' assumption that Gladhron was calling the shots was meant in good humor. No matter what Gladhron would tell her, though, she could still decide not to kill him, she supposed. No matter his answer, and no matter her decision after the fight, it would give her a better idea of what kind of people the brothers were - what had shaped them into their current selves...

Well. If she won, of course.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

Being the 'jokester' among his siblings, Gladhron could usually tell a joke, or sarcasm, when he heard it. It was difficult not to burst into a grin when the lady spoke, with her mock-serious 'whatever shall I do?'. Playing along, he glanced over at her and in a mock-patient tone, instructing a student, "Remember, the pointy end goes away from you." He struggled to keep a straight face, but somehow managed. "And don't drop the sword. You'll be fine. Probably."

At her inquiry, however, he paused to consider that, trying not to smirk at the 'warleader' comment. He could already picture Gwestion covering his face with a hand and groaning about how she ought not even pretend to let him be in charge, but he ignored that humorous mental image and instead, focused on the question. "That's an excellent question, actually," He turned to the bandits, eyes narrowing slightly. "considering they were all just about to murder three innocent people, one of whom was a child." He mentioned in a tone suggesting he was not likely to forgive that offense.

"Hey, don't blame us for that," The bandit glanced from one to the other, hesitating. "We were just following orders. Copperheads don't leave no survivors, it's the rule." he explained. "Well, 'less Clyff decides to take one along..." He added, nervous as he recalled many cases where women would be taken captive. This one hadn't appealed to the guy, apparently, since he'd ordered her to be killed.

Gladhron continued to stare hard at him, disliking this bunch more and more by the moment. As he felt a vague temptation to declare that they should all be slain, his gaze briefly flicked to the trees, imagining his brother's steely gaze boring into him. While he couldn't see him through the trees, he could imagine exactly what expression he would be wearing right now. He knew exactly what Gwestion would say, too... almost as if he could hear him speaking aloud. He would not want to kill anyone, if it was not necessary, and furthermore, he knew that his brother would definitely want an opportunity to ask the men about certain things. Besides, any information could be useful, since Gladhron did not know anything about these 'Copperheads' the man spoke of.

"No killing," He declared, more serious than before. "Although, I wouldn't trust these scumbags not to try for a kill, so be on your guard." He added quietly, in a hopefully unnecessary warning. Glancing over at the woman, he hoped that he had guessed correctly about her being Rohirric, for he wanted to convey a message to her that these bandits would not understand. In the Rohirric language, he spoke to her while watching to see if she understood or looked confused; "We want them alive, to answer questions."
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

"Right," she responded to Gladhron's reminder that the tip of her blade should point to her opponent rather than to herself. More interesting to her, though, was his response to her question. To the death?

He did make an excellent point about their intent to murder three people, including a child. Her eyes snapped back to the bandit when he said the Copperheads, supposedly the name of their band, left no survivors. As a rule. She gritted her teeth. The added comment which followed, did nothing to alleviate her chagrin. Unless Clyff decides to take one along. They couldn't be serious... but one look at them proved that they were. She resisted a sigh born of sadness.

Her body language changed slowly into a balanced battle position, ready for the fight to begin once Gladhron gave his answer.

"No killing."

Her dark eyes did not move to the ranger. Nothing about her indicated what exactly she thought about that decision. The warning Gladhron added, did result in a faint smile and nod on her part, although she did not look away from the bandit who might attack her at any given moment.

The Rohirric that Gladhron threw at her then, was a surprise. The bandit's expression grew wary at the foreign tongue, his eyes flicking between her and Gladhron with confusion. "Understood," she drawled quietly.

Then she narrowed her eyes at the bandit. "In this lifetime," she suggested. Annoyed by her non-committal response, the bandit stepped forward and unsheathed his blade. She shifted her grip so her main hand would be where it should be, her left only assisting - but also on the hilt of her hand-and-a-half longsword.

The bandit swung his blade from one side to the other, not unskilled as far as aim went. His footwork was actually good. Very good. And he was clearly a strong one. His slashes and cuts were forceful, and she quickly knew it would be best to evade most of them if she could. It did not take her long, however, to discover his weakness. His attacks went... too wide. Despite his control of making the sword go where he wanted it to, he still moved the weapon as if it were big and clumsy. She, on the other hand, moved her own blade much more quickly and dexterously, using her second hand on her weapon's hilt to move the longsword around the position of her forward hand, making fast and concise movements, saving her time and effort and all in all being much more efficient. He spent loads of strength and stamina to wield his blade. She did not have the same problem. As such, the bandit was severely outmatched.

She waited for the realization to set in on his face before she ended the fight. When the bandit parried one of her moves, she forced his blade to her right with her sword, let go of her weapon with her left hand to grab his upper right arm just below the shoulder. She kicked his legs from under him with her left leg while holding onto his arm with her left and keeping his sword clear of her with her own sword arm. When he lost his balance and fell, she aided his journey down to the road by bringing her pommel down on the front of his torso. A loud grunt escaped him as he dropped to the ground on his back. The point of her sword lightly rested against his neck by the time his eyes found her.

Not wasting any good one liners on the man, she left the obvious - that he had lost - unsaid. "Anyone else?" she merely asked, not lifting her gaze from her opponent on the ground, however.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gwestion
Hidden in the trees

Watching things unfold from his position, Gwestion wished he could hear a bit more of what they were saying. He couldn't help but hear Gladhron's boisterous voice declaring that they had "archers" posted all around the bandits, and announcing the skill of those archers. Holding back a sigh of exasperation, he rolled his eyes but otherwise remained still. And quiet. The bandits believed it, and he figured if he tried to do anything to support Gladhron's claim, it would only prove to them that there was only one archer hidden in the trees. Let them sweat a little.

While keeping an eye on the other two bandits, he watched the woman fight against the bandit swordsman. As he did, he felt a twinge of annoyance that they had not had a chance to learn what she wished to be called. Even if it was not her real name, anything would be better than 'the woman', but he tried not to worry about that right now. It was enough to see that she seemed to be on their side, and willing to fight the bandits.

She was good. It was quite obvious, and the bandits quickly realized it, too. Gwestion wasn't all that surprised, but Gladhron... his eyes flicked briefly toward his brother. Gladhron wasn't showing his surprise well enough for others to notice, but Gwestion suspected that he had not quite believed she would be that skilled with a sword. Especially one that big. The faintest trace of a smile touched Gwestion's face as he turned his gaze quickly back to the bandits. He missed seeing them whisper briefly among themselves.

Gladhron

The bandit was swiftly defeated. Gladhron was rather impressed by her skill, but tried very hard not to let it show. Especially in front of these bandits. Upon the woman's invitation, one of the others stepped out from behind the cart. He held a short sword in his left hand, the right being wrapped in bandages, and pointed the sword at Gladhron. "I'll take you on." he sneered. "You don't look so tough, hiding behind a woman," he scoffed. "I kill you, I go free. That's the deal, yeah?" He smirked.

Gladhron raised an eyebrow at this challenge, half-amused, and, admittedly, half-offended. "Hiding?" He repeated with a little laugh, though he narrowed his eyes slightly, in mild irritation at such an accusation. "Did you faint and miss the part where the idiot challenging her?" He wondered. "I did hope you all might decide to surrender after seeing that," he motioned to the bandit on the ground. "But if you insist..." He made an inviting sort of gesture with his off hand, his own sword held casually in his other hand, almost carelessly. He did not bother mentioning that the bandit's plan was flawed; if he did manage to kill Gladhron, Gwestion would make sure he didn't just walk away from here, and he suspected the woman would do the same.

The bandit began to circle around Gladhron. He watched, moving to keep himself facing the man. Once he had the young man facing away from the cart, he began to attack. Gladhron swiftly blocked, knocking the man's sword aside. It was clearly not his dominant hand, but he had also, clearly, practiced using both hands to fight. The bandit kept trying to move in closer, so Gladhron backed away a few times, but more often, used the longer reach of his own sword to keep the man from getting close enough to do anything with his sword.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

The next bandit who stepped forward, did not choose her, but Gladhron. She fought a smirk. Was he now trying to see if Gladhron would be an easier target? Not knowing whether he would be herself, she narrowed her eyes at the bandit at the tip of her blade. "Roll over," she ordered levelly. "On your stomach. Hands together behind your back." Once he had complied, she pulled out a piece of rope from a pouch on her belt. It was always a good idea to have some rope at hand when you were out in the wild.

After the man's hands were tied securely behind his back, to the point of it being uncomfortable, she also linked his feet together so he would be unable to take large enough steps to run. Small steps would be all he could manage. Her next command came in a flat tone. "Sit." She took up position behind him, her blade still pointed at him. Meanwhile, she glanced up intermittently between the cart and the one remaining bandit on the one hand, and Gladhron fighting the second man trying his hand at their 'deal'.

She wanted to see what she could of the fight. As a swordswoman, she was interested in the way other swordfighters handled themselves. There was usually something to learn, whether it was big or small. Gladhron obviously knew how to manage his distance, but what else might he showcase?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

Gladhron parried and evaded the bandit's attacks, mostly just letting the guy tire himself out. He had already lost a good deal of blood, and he was stuck using his off hand. Gladhron wondered whether he really thought he could fight his way out of this. The guy clearly had no intention of keeping to the 'no killing' decision. In fact, he seemed intent on trying to force Gladhron back.

He pivoted to one side to evade an attack. The guy came at him again, moving around so as to keep Gladhron's back toward the cart. He circled around the other way, and the guy switched directions. A vague suspicion began to grow in his mind, that the guy was purposely trying to keep his back to the wagon... but why?

The woman had the other bandit bound by now, and then out of the corner of his eye, he saw a flicker of motion. Gladhron ducked under the man's arm and switched places with him. While the man was whirling around and trying to relocate him before he continued his attack, Gladhron took a second to glance past him. The other bandit had left the cover of the cart and made a dart for the woods. He raised an eyebrow, wondering about that. He appeared to be heading straight toward Gwestion, however, so he assumed he wouldn't get far.

Before he could take the time to give it any more thought, his opponent was swinging his sword at him again. He blocked the attack, gave a sharp twist and circular motion that hooked his blade around the other, then with a quick yank, sent the other man's sword spinning away from him, and landed several feet away. There seemed little reason to draw this thing out any further, and he wanted to find out what was going on with that other guy. He pointed his sword at the man's throat and raised an eyebrow. "Give up yet?"

Gwestion
Hidden in the trees

Gwestion kept his attention mostly on the bandit still hiding behind the cart, but at least thirty percent of his attention was on his brother. It took little time before it became evident that Gladhron was the more skilled between the two, at least with this bandit using his left hand. Gwestion suspected it wouldn't have made a difference though. He frowned slightly as he watched the fight, though. The bandit seemed to be trying to manipulate the fight to keep Gladhron facing one certain direction. His eyes narrowed suspiciously. Why did they want his back to the cart?

He focused more closely on the man behind the cart. He still clutched that dagger, looking as if he were planning to do something. He looked nervous, and fidgeted with the blade while he watched the fight, his head barely over the top of the cart. Gwestion forced himself to relax, fighting the instinct to tense. He slowly drew back his bowstring, preparing to shoot if he had to. He wasn't about to stand by and let his brother be attacked from behind. If the bandit tried to throw that knife, he would certainly regret it...

Instead, to his relief and surprise, the man suddenly seemed to change his mind, and bolted for the woods. Heading straight toward Gwestion's location. He blinked, watching in surprise as the man broke from his cover and ran. That didn't seem like it was part of the plan. When the man got close enough to him, Gwestion stepped out in front of him to block his escape, bow drawn, his arrow pointed straight at his chest.

The bandit skidded to a stop, eyes widening as he realized the guy wasn't lying about them being surrounded. But he was determined to get away rather than be arrested.

"Hands u-" Gwestion began warning him, but didn't get to finish the order. Unexpectedly, the man lashed out, knocking his bow aside with a forceful backhanded blow from his uninjured arm. Gwestion did not expect such a bold move. His fingertips slipped off the string, which sent the arrow flying wild as his bow hand struck against a tree beside him, causing him to lose his grip on it. The man lunged in with a stab aimed for his gut. Reacting quickly, Gwestion pivoted to one side, ignoring the pain in his hand, knowing it'd pass soon enough. The dagger barely missed him. He swiftly drew his own dagger, his expression hardening as he swiftly blocked a slash toward his head. Metal struck metal as their daggers clashed briefly.

As the bandit swung his dagger again, Gwestion dodged the attack, waiting until the man's arm had moved across his own body from the momentum, then brought the handle of his dagger down on the man's clavicle, right about where the arrow was sticking out. The bandit cried out in pain, gritted his teeth, and tried to stab Gwestion in the ribs. The attack was weak, but even if it hadn't been, Gwestion would've had little trouble stopping it. He grabbed the man's wrist with his left hand, and gave his whole arm a sharp twist to turn it over, and used his other arm to apply pressure just above the back of his elbow, which put his arm in an awkward and painful position. When the man cried out again and was forced downward, Gwestion ordered, "Drop it." He applied a little more pressure on his elbow until the man decided to give up. The dagger fell to the forest floor after a second or two.

Gwestion kicked it out of reach before pulling the man down, so he lay face down on the ground. He took a second to sheath his own dagger, then folded both the man's arms behind his back so that he could bind him. "You made a smart choice in not throwing that knife." he mentioned as he worked on tying his wrists together. "I'd have shot you before it could've left your hand."
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She remained mostly impassive while Gladhron faced off against the bandit. Her focus was on watching what she could of that altercation, whilst also keeping an eye on the bandit bound in front of her and those who had not yet died but were incapacitated. The third more mobile bandit, the last one they might really have to worry about, let stress take over. He ran - but Gladhron did not move or comment when he saw, which she saw in turn. He trusted his brother to take care of that one, then. And since Gladhron obviously knew Gwestion well, who was she to question that?

Well.

Gladhron soon made a move that made her lips tug up with satisfaction. Excellent! She much preferred a lack of flashy and unnecessarily intricate attacks. Gladhron's disarming move had been efficient, elegant and quick. At his words, a quick smile flashed across her face before her expression settled back into more serious lines.

The bandit, now at swordpoint as well, frowned furiously. "I... uh... You said no killing!" He was quick to demand.

She sighed. "You are in no position for demands," she reminded him. And hadn't he been the one to say 'if I kill you, I get to live'? Neither she nor Gladhron had used the word 'kill' in that deal - they had said 'defeat'. But what was the point in arguing with Men such as these?

The bandit went to his knees, his hands limply touching the ground. He ignored her completely, focusing on Gladhron. "If you have any honor, you won't kill me." He was... tenacious. "A man of honor does not go back on his word." Then he snatched up some dirt and flung it at Gladhron's face, bolting in the direction of the trees opposite from the side Gwestion would be.

"Oh, for Manwë's sake," she mumbled, sheathing her sword whilst trying to see if Gladhron would follow or if his sight had been briefly compromised. "You will not move," she warned the bandit she had defeated, who was still sitting in front of her, as she reached for her bow and an arrow. Addressing Gladhron as she nocked the arrow, she questioned non-committally: "You want him, or?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

Gladhron rolled his eyes when the guy started pleading with him not to kill him. "Just get on the ground already," He ordered, tired of dealing with these guys. As the guy began to move down to the ground, Gladhron assumed that he had realized he was outmatched, and was going to give up. He was preparing to grab something to tie him with, when the man made a sudden, unexpected move. Gladhron really should have anticipated something like that, but he did not. "Ahh!" He yelled, and instinctively turned his head aside as fast as he could. His arm came up swiftly, trying to shield his eyes, but the road was dry and dusty from lack of recent rain. The dust the man threw was fine and gritty, and good amount of it got in his eyes.

Fighting the instinct to retreat and cover his eyes, Gladhron immediately lunged forward to try and grab the guy, mainly by judging where he had just been. But he'd already run, and he found nothing there. And then.. he had no idea where the guy went, because his eyes were burning and watering from the irritation, and he couldn't see a thing. Unable to see what was going on, he made an effort not to panic, although.. it did remind him of that recent experience with having a concussion so bad he couldn't see straight, while that Haradrim woman was trying to kill him...

Hearing their new ally speaking, asking if he wanted to get the guy or not, he didn't see that she had her bow and arrows ready to shoot the guy, and vaguely motioned with the hand still gripping his sword, as if to indicate 'go ahead'. His free hand came up to rub at his eyes, as if he might be able to get the dust out of his eyes somehow.

Gwestion
Hidden in the trees

Gwestion dragged his captured bandit to his feet and marched him down to the road to rejoin the others, pausing only to grab his bow from where he had dropped it. He would check it for damage later, when he didn't have to keep an eye on a prisoner. As he was emerging from the tree line, he saw the bandit which Gladhron had been fighting suddenly fling dirt at him and take off running. Gwestion frowned, and pushed his captive to the ground near where the other lay bound, as he prepared to chase after the other.

Meanwhile, the bandit had run toward the family huddling on the edge of the road. The woman had been holding her son close to her, while the husband/father held onto them both protectively. When the bandit started coming their direction, they ducked down further, as if frightened he might try to grab them again. Then, as the bandit drew closer, the man suddenly leaped up with a large branch in his hands, and swung it as hard as he could, whacking the bandit in the head as he got close enough. The bandit was completely caught by surprise, took the branch in the face, and fell backward on the ground, dazed.

Gwestion watched, surprised by the actions of the man, but he also couldn't blame him. He probably felt like he needed to protect his family, and it was far easier against one man, than eleven. He glanced over at the woman who had been assisting them, saw that she had her bow ready, and hesitated briefly. "Would you mind?" He asked her, motioning toward the bandit, and hoped that she could be trusted with the task of binding the prisoner. He would have done it himself, but his brother seemed to be in need of help. Leaning his bow against the overturned cart, he approached Gladhron who was rubbing his eyes, desperately trying to get the dust out. "Here, stop that, you'll make it worse." Gwestion spoke gently, and took him by the shoulders before guiding him to sit on a trunk that the bandits had thrown out of the wagon. "Let me get this," He took Gladhron's sword from his hand and slid it into its sheath. Blinded by the dust, Gladhron wouldn't be able to do much with it anyway.

After a quick scan around at the mess the bandits had made of the family's belongings, Gwestion found a canteen of water and knelt beside where Gladhron was sitting. "Here, hold your hands out together, I'm going to pour some water in them. Put your eyes in the water, and try to wash the dust out that way." Waiting until Gladhron nodded and put out his hands, he poured a bit of the water into his cupped hands. While Gladhron was doing that, Gwestion glanced over to see what the woman was doing, and whether the third bandit had been apprehended.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë
Would she mind?

Somewhat amused, she focused her attention between the latest bandit who'd joined the one she'd bound herself, and the bandit dazed over by the family the band had targeted. She cleared her throat, making the bandit whose brists had been tied behind his back by Gwestion look up at her as she drew back her bowstring, the arrow aimed at him. "No ideas," she said, her voice low and dangerous. "On the off chance I don't get you, the others will." Her eyes pointedly looked at the trees around them. There was no need for the bandits to know that the three of them were... well, it.

Then she moved - quickly - for the bandit near the family, still dazed but shaking his head, preparing to get up. She returned her bow to her back, her arrow to her quiver, and clocked the bandit to the back of the head with a forceful strike of her elbow just as he was laying eyes on the man who'd knocked him out earlier. The man was still holding onto the branch, beathing heavily with adrenaline. She gave him a faint smile. "Well done."

He frowned and shook his head. "Too little, too late," he mumbled. "If you hadn't been here..."

As she rolled the bandit over on his back, she grunted. "Best not to think on what ifs and could haves too much. You live. You learn. But..." One hand touched the branch, still held by the men as if ready to swing. She lowered it gently but firmly. "Stay out of the shadow of paranoia and fear." She hoped dearly that the experience would not leave behind a lasting imprint on the family. It could really mess with people's heads. "Most people in this world still mean well," she offered, with a soft smile. "Do you happen to have some rope?" She looked over her shoulder to the other two bandits. They hadn't moved. "I'm all out at the moment."

"Why don't you just kill them?" the woman snapped.

With a frown, she took a deep breath. "When I have the choice, I do not like to decide who lives and dies," she responded quietly. "These men were quick to decide on calling for your deaths. I for one am not eager to fall into the same pattern."

Meanwhile, her husband had seemingly decided it was safe enough to step away from his family. He approached a box lying on the road, still closed with a heavy latch, and retrieved a long piece of rope. The blonde ranger thanked him when he handed it over, and bound the bandit tightly.

It was the boy who spoke up next. "What will you do with them?" His eyes swept across the scene, not only the three bound bandits, but the others as well. Dead, dying, or maimed.

"That is a good question." But one thing at a time. She looked over to Gladhron and Gwestion, noting that the latter was looking her way at the same time. With a sigh, she turned back to the family. "You should probably sit. Try to calm down, if you can. Do you have water? If not, there is flowing water nearby. We could get you some."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

Seeing her glance in his and Gladhron's direction, Gwestion gave a tiny nod. He was glad to see she had not decided to kill the fallen bandit. He turned back to Gladhron. "Better?" Gwestion checked how his brother's eyes were doing. Seeing Gladhron nod slightly, he smiled in relief and filled his cupped hands again. "You stay here for a bit, and keep rinsing your eyes. I'll go and tend to things for now," he spoke softly to his brother, then rose, leaving the canteen with him.

While Gladhron worked on flushing the dust out of his eyes, Gwestion went over to where the woman was talking with the family. "I borrowed your canteen of water," He admitted, approaching in time to hear the woman suggest water to the family, and motioned toward where Gladhron sat. "I apologize, if it was all you had. But it is true that we are very near to a stream." He glanced at them each. "Were any of you injured?" He asked, feeling the need to check. Fortunately, it seemed none of them had taken any injuries, much to Gwestion's relief. He nodded and turned to the woman. "Thank you, by the way." He said quietly to her.

"Just who are you people?" The nearby bandit demanded, scowling.

Gwestion glanced at the bandit she had most recently tied with a thoughtful expression, and didn't reply.

Sitting a short way from them, Gladhron spoke up with a little laugh. "Who do you think we are?" He could see a bit more now, though his eyes were still watering and his vision was still a bit blurry.

The bandit's scowl deepened. "Rangers. Right?" He scoffed.

Gladhron grinned at hearing his guess, pleased to hear it, but his brother didn't give him a chance to say anything further in reply.

"Nevermind who we are." Gwestion cut in. Holding back a sigh, he couldn't help wishing his brother would learn to be a bit more cautious about declaring such things so openly. "You ought instead worry about what will become of you and your associates." He told the bandit with a frown, before pulling the man up to his feet so that he could put the three nearer together. Not near enough to help one another get free, but so that it would be easier to keep an eye on them.

As he caught sight of the other two bandits, the one Gwestion held tried to lunge toward his associates. "You chicken!" He yelled at one. "You were s'posed to throw the knife, Bob!"

Bob glared at him. "Yeah well, I figured I'd have a better chance if I ran for it." he shrugged his uninjured shoulder. "Anyway, me running saved my life, so.. shut your mouth, Al." He grumbled.

Gwestion rolled his eyes at their talk, and pushed Al down to sit near his friends. "Hush. We don't want to hear your bickering." He made sure that all three were secure, then stepped back and looked toward his brother. He thought he looked better, and had his eyes open now, though he was blinking a bit more than usual. "Gladhron, how about we put the cart upright?" Gwestion suggested, figuring they could help clean up this mess while the woman spoke with the family and tried to calm them.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She nodded discreetly when Gwestion thanked her. It had been the right thing to do, and there had been no dilemma for her, but she still appreciated the gratitude.

While she heard the bandits' comments, she ignored them. She listened and saved whatever was useful information, but she was under no obligation to answer their questions or humor them in any other way, was she? Seeing and hearing that the brothers would be trying to get the material things ready for the family to depart their scene of possible trauma, she made her own decision. "Alright," she said good-naturedly, with a soft smile. "Let's get your canteen - or canteens - refilled at the stream."

She went to retrieve the canteen from Gladhron, not saying much but only offering him a reassuring smile and a slightly lifted eyebrow in reference to the bit of fun they'd had despite the danger of the situation earlier.

Once she'd returned to the family, she led them to the stream. They were clearly still reeling, although she could sense that the man was starting to realize the implications of what had happened. His face looked drawn and had that kind of tired expression one could get when thinking about what was ahead of them.

"You can splash some water on your faces if you like. It is nice and cool. Might wash away some of the scare these people gave you," she suggested when they arrived near the water. "Where were you headed?" Was it even possible for them to get the cart moving by themselves? She was already contemplating on offering her assistance with her own mount. It was not like she had a specific place to be or family to reassure in these parts. She could just help them to wherever they needed to go, really.

She handed the canteen Gladhron had used to the woman, who accepted it with a nod and a shaky smile. Putting a hand on her shoulder, the ranger gave it a light squeeze. "You all got out with your lives. The loss of a horse can be bad, I know. But you still have each other, the cart, and most of what was in it, right?" That one man could not have made off with much on his own, having had to leave so fast.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

While the woman took the family off to get some water, Gwestion and Gladhron worked together to turn the cart back upright. It was a bit difficult for just the two of them, but they had managed it, and began to work on gathering up the things from the ground, packing them back into the trunks and other luggage.

"Shame that one fellow got away with their horse," Gladhron sighed.

"Yes, I know." Gwestion replied, sighing. He wished his shot had been better, but there was nothing to be done about it. The bandit had moved right as he took the shot. He consoled himself with the thought that he had hit him somewhere. "Would Gaeroch pull the wagon?" He asked his brother.

Gladhron frowned, looking at the wagon thoughtfully. "I suppose she might. But then, so might Mael." He pointed out.

"They might both do so, if there were but another harness." Gwestion shrugged. "But there is only one. And your horse is, as you often like to boast, larger and stronger. Is she not?"

Gladhron frowned, and there might have been further argument between them, but right about then, the family were returning with the woman whose name they still didn't know. "Later," He muttered, and turned to the others with a smile. "Well, the wagon seems undamaged." He reported cheerily. "And very few of your belongings were damaged, although you may need to do some washing as soon as you get to your destination. We're nearly done cleaning up the mess."

Meanwhile, a little further away, Gwestion continued to quietly pack a trunk with the family's belongings, brushing dirt off of the blankets and linens before folding them and laying each thing into the trunk.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

Rather than only return with the family, she had taken the opportunity of going back to the stream to fetch their horses. She'd handed her own mount's reins to the man, who hadn't shown any skidishness to the large stallion. And she, drawing up the rear, had guided the brothers' horses back. They had taken some coaxing to come with her, especially the grey mare she wouldn't lie about that. But after some gentle words, spoken in the right tongue, they had both agreed to follow her, and had allowed her to lead them back by the reins.

She got close to Gladhron first. "Your mare," she said, indicating the chestnut. She remembered him being close to that one, at least, upon their meeting. "A beautiful horse, by the way." She had always loved that color on a horse, even though her own stallion was darker than Gladhron's mare. "You think your brother has warmed up to me enough by now not to cut off my hand for bringing him his horse?" she asked quietly, with a hint of humor. Not waiting for a response, she flashed Gladhron a smile and then approached his brother.

"I took the liberty of bringing the horses back," she said - unnecessarily, since it was quite self evident. "They are heading for Bree. I'm thinking of having my stallion pull their wagon. He'll pull the weight easily enough on his own. And the two of you need not alter or slow your travel plans if I'm the one to go with them." She held out Mael's reins to Gwestion.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

"Ah, thank you!" Gladhron replied, happy to see Gaeroch approaching. He smiled wider when the lady complimented the mare. "She quite knows it, too," He added in reference to her comment that she was a beautiful horse. He grinned and stroked the mare's nose as she came to greet him, and laughed lightly at the words which followed. "I dare say that if Mael hasn't done it already, you're quite safe from Gwestion." He replied back, teasingly. His brother's horse rarely warmed up to just anyone, and he was a little surprised she had come with the stranger.

Gwestion looked up from folding a quilt, hearing the words between her and his brother. He was a little surprised that his own horse would have come, but there she was, returning with their ally whose name he still did not know. He smiled faintly. "I see that Mael has decided to trust you." He remarked, rising from where he had been kneeling by the chest. As he stood, the horse came over and nuzzled his shoulder. He smiled and rubbed around her ears, but soon turned back to the lady, intrigued when she said she would use her horse for the wagon.

"Just before you returned, Gladhron and I were discussing which of our horses would work best for that," he mentioned. "If you're sure that your horse would not mind it," He added, knowing how Mael would probably revolt against such a task, "then he and I will ride along as guards."

"Indeed, we were heading that direction anyway," Gladhron put in, coming over. "So, it is no trouble at all to accompany these good people the rest of the way there. Who knows, but there ma-"

"Gladhron," Gwestion cut him off, suddenly guessing what he might say, and did not want to make the family more frightened.

Gladhron looked at him with slight puzzlement, but didn't finish his sentence. "Well, anyway.. it's no trouble for us to come along." He concluded differently than he intended.

Gwestion glanced toward the family. The woman and the boy picked up where he had left off, working together to fold the quilt, and the man was checking on their food provisions. He lowered his voice a bit, "The one who got away, I believe may have been the leader," He explained, hoping to keep the family from hearing and becoming unduly frightened. "I would feel better if we stay close to them. It sounds like these bandits don't like leaving witnesses." He frowned, troubled by that thought, and wondered how long this group had been in operation. It would be hard to know, without any survivors to tell about them. But, at least they had managed to take a few of their members, and could try to learn something from them...

"And, besides," Gladhron put in, as if he had just heard all of Gwestion's thoughts, "There's the prisoners to think of." Gladhron wondered, glancing toward the bandits who still lived, and were bound and sitting on the ground. "Thank you for helping with that, by the way," Gladhron added, looking back at her with a smile. "That was rather impressive, the way you fought that guy," He laughed, and then realized something. "Oh.. by the way. We still have yet to learn what we should call you."
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

"If it makes you feel any better, she was more apprehensive than your brother's mount," she smiled at Gwestion. "And I'm sure he would not mind." Her stallion had pulled wagons with provisions and spare gear in the past, when it was required. He had been trained for such an eventuality. "It's been a while since he's pulled a wagon, but he can and will do it," she stated confidently, looking back at her horse with a warm look in her eyes. He was standing near the wagon, looking around but not walking off despite no longer being kept in place by anyone. He'd been with her for a long time, and she had always spent a lot of time with him.

Gwestion's statement that he and Gladhron would ride along as guards, did surprise her somewhat. During the exchange between the brothers, her eyes travelled to the prisoners, as well as to the few bandits who had been rendered immobile but yet lived. Gladhron thanking her made her look back to the two northern rangers. She gave Gladhron a soft smile. "Such praise," she said quietly, not entirely comfortable with the way he'd complimented her skills so openly. "You can call me Celumë," she told them, giving them the name she'd been using ever since leaving Gondor. Not everyone knew what it meant, but whether or not they did was of little import. She held out her arm first to Gladhron and then to Gwestion. If they would reach out, she would give them a warrior's clasp. They had fought together, after all. That meant something, didn't it?

"Well... if it's no trouble," she said a bit more slowly, "I would definitely welcome some additional protection. I would prefer not to be ambushed by any of their reifnorcements in the same way we ambushed them," she added drily.

After a brief moment of hesitation, since she was unsure whether she wanted to show her experience with such matters, she shrugged one shoulder. They had seen her fight. She'd offered them a warrior's clasp. They would have drawn some sort of conclusion already, she supposed. And this was about all of their safety. "It would also be prudent for at least one or even two of us to travel along unseen. That way it would be more difficult for a bandit group to surround all of us and trap us inside of their own group."

As for the prisoners... "The prisoners are one thing. But there are still others." The man she'd shot in the back - in the spine - was still alive but hardly moving. Slowly, she approached him. His face was wet. She looked away for a moment. "I'm sorry," she said. "That you did not make better choices, for it were your choices who led you to this fate." She crouched next to him. "I've seen this before. You will never walk again."

He looked at her with tear-filled eyes, and he swore at her, cursing her and calling her something that should not be repeated.

Celumë nodded. "You cannot even move your arms well anymore. This is no life. Do you think that your friends will take you back like this?" She saw the truth in his eyes. They would not. "Do you have a chance at a good life like this?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper. She could see the answer to her second question in his eyes, also. "I released the arrow that did this to you. I should finish it."

He wanted to curse at her more, but his hopeless situation choked down the words in his throat before they could be spoken. "Safe journey to the Hall of Mandos," she whispered, cutting the artery on one side of his neck, "and beyond," she added as she cut the artery on the other side as well. The blood loss was profound, and quick. He lost consciousness while she wiped her dagger's blade clean on his clothes, and died by the time she rose to her feet.

Were there others?

She hoped not.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

Gwestion gave a little nod, with a faint, wry smile. "I'm sure she was." He answered, knowing Gaeroch was a bit overfriendly toward everyone. Much like her owner, he thought with some amusement. Interesting, how that worked out. Or maybe not such a mystery, considering what behaviors were encouraged by the horse's respective owners. He nodded again when she assured them that her horse would not mind the wagon. "Good, then that works well." He answered. Neither he nor Gladhron had ever had much need for anything but riding, so neither of their horses were familiar with bearing anything but a person on their back. It was a small relief that they would not have to try to break the horses to a harness in this situation.

"Celumë," Gladhron repeated, and smiled as he reached out to clasp arms with her. "A pleasure to meet you." He declared, without any reservations.

When she turned to Gwestion to offer the same, he hesitated briefly before reaching to take her arm, feeling slightly self-conscious about the recent scars on the palm and fingers of his right hand. Though healed, it had only been a few months since he received that wound, and Celumë would now be the first person to see it, outside of those who had helped him recover from those injuries. "No trouble." He assured her quietly.

"No, none at all." Gladhron agreed. "We were already traveling slowly anyway," He started, but caught a small frown from Gwestion and didn't elaborate on that, remembering how touchy his younger brother was about all that. "I agree, I don't like the thought of being ambushed," He added a bit more seriously, with a shared glance with Gwestion. They'd both certainly had enough of ambushes recently.

"And I agree, also, that someone ought to travel in stealth," Gwestion added quietly. He wasn't sure whether she was thinking of that person riding ahead or behind, or alongside in the woods, having never encountered a situation like this, but he did agree it was an excellent idea.

When Celumë mentioned that there were others, besides those bandits they had bound, both brothers glanced around, reminded of those few. Watching as she approached the man who was paralyzed, they both grew very quiet and solemn, even Gladhron, after realizing the inevitable, for it was clear the man was unlikely to recover from it. For a brief moment, the brothers exchanged a glance, each guessing the other's thoughts.

Slightly tense, Gwestion turned toward Mael and focused intently on rubbing around her ears, very reluctant to witness what he guessed would happen. Though the man had been trying to shoot at him, the young man was inwardly struggling between sympathy, and relief that that had not been his own fate. He couldn't recall how many days he had spent, inwardly enduring the terror that he may never walk again. And he was suddenly reminded of how grateful and relieved he was that it had turned out as it did, and that he had been able to recover from that wound. Even the pain from his broken leg had been a welcome thing, after feeling nothing at first. And now, suddenly, he was faced with someone else who had not been so fortunate as himself, who was suffering from the very fate he had feared would be his, not that long ago. It was difficult to come to think about, to say the least.

As Gwestion was giving attention to his horse, Gladhron watched him for a moment, his face uncharacteristically thoughtful and grave for a moment as he recalled the frantic search for Gwestion, which he had made only a few months ago, and remembered what he had felt upon finally finding his brother, broken and battered on the rocks at the bottom of a ravine... thinking at first he was dead, and then the relief at finding he was alive. And then, he thought of the lengthy recovery that had followed that terrible incident. A recovery which was only just coming to an end, though not quite yet. He blew out a slow, quiet breath, thinking perhaps he ought not tease Gwestion quite so much for a while, at least about certain things. And he also thought he ought to step up and take care of a few things himself, rather than pushing it off on his little brother. For a while, anyway.

With that thought in mind, he moved toward the nearest bandit who lay on the ground, Gladhron knelt and checked for life, but found none. He took a moment to close the man's eyes, then went to the next one, while keeping his attention away from the dying man whom Celumë was tending to. The one with the arrow in his ribs had died, either from blood loss or suffocation, for it looked as if the arrow had pierced his lung. He moved on to the next, a man with an arrow in his chest. Earlier, he had seen the man struggling to breathe, but now he was still and lifeless. He closed his eyes as well, then straightened and looked around, sighing softly. "What shall we do with the dead?" He wondered quietly, but aloud, as he looked toward Celumë at last. Gwestion was still standing by his horse, and Gladhron figured he would not want too much attention brought toward him, so he refrained from looking toward him again for a while.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

"The pleasure is mine," she replied politely to Gladhron's friendly words. Gwestion was still decidedly more reserved, but nothing had changed his right to be so. She gave him a slow nod when Gwestion clearly stopped Gladhron from saying more. That seemed to be a regular thing with the brothers. Gladhron was too open to Gwestion's liking. Mentally, Celumë shook it off. It had nothing to do with her, she knew, and everything with their own personalities and experiences. It is why she would not ask about the pink scars she'd seen on Gwestion's palm. Besides. She had scars of her own. It came with the territory.

There were... quite a few bandits who had not survived what they had probably figured would be an easy raid on the small family. Celumë took a deep breath as she looked around, seeing Gladhron closing the eyes of a man with one of her arrows in his chest. Breathing out the air with a sigh, her expression dejected, she shook her head at Gladhron's question. "I feel no inclination to bury them or look for enough stones to cover them." It would take too long. There were so many... seven of them, she counted. "We should move them from the road, though, a small ways into the trees at least. The bodies could attract wildlife. We can inform the authorities at Bree of their location. They can decide what to do with them."

Not wasting much time, she moved to grip the ankles of the man whose death she'd... expedited. She found it easier to move dead weight by grabbing the ankles than trying to get a good hold on the torso. It might not be very respectful to drag the body off. But it would be over faster if the three of them could each move a few, than if they would work in pairs to move the bandits.

In the back of her mind, a question gnawed at her. Honestly. Was this what she had left Minas Tirith for?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

"We haven't shovels to dig with, anyway," Gladhron responded, agreeing with her comment about not burying the fallen bandits. Her solution seemed like a good one, and he took a look around. The family was minding their own business, picking up the last bits of their wagonload of belongings, but mostly it seemed they were biding their time to let the rangers deal with the unpleasantries and not have to get involved with that. He didn't blame them at all. Taking the nearest body by the shoulders, he set off after Celumë, dragging the man along after.

Letting out a slow, measured breath, Gwestion stepped away from Mael, mentally chiding himself for letting such a thing trouble him so deeply. He looked after the other two and then retrieved his bow from where he had placed it earlier, and returned it to where he kept it when not in use. Then, after taking a moment to check that the prisoners were still secure, he went to help drag off the bodies, without a word.

Once the unpleasantness was dealt with, Gladhron gathered up the weapons and other gear that the bandits had used, both the dead and those still living, and found a place in the wagon, off to the side, to stow them for now. Gwestion, meanwhile, gathered what arrows were still usable, and returned them to their respective owners, between the three of them. The wagon was fully loaded now, and all that seemed left to do was to hitch up Celumë's horse to the wagon, and decide who was going to ride where and all of those details. "I assume you will be riding along with the wagon," He said to Celumë, since her horse was to be used to draw the wagon and the only other option was to walk alongside, or ride double with either himself or Gwestion.. and he doubted she'd choose that option. "As for which of us should ride along as a guard, and which should go in stealth," He hesitated. "I.. would suggest Gwestion for the latter, unless you had some other idea in mind. He is.. a bit.. better at that than myself." He glanced at Gwestion, wondering if he had any objection to this, and back at Celumë, in case she had any other suggestions or ideas.

At this, Gwestion tilted his head slightly in mild surprise at his brother's words, having expected him to boast about his own skills, but he didn't comment. But, he also didn't want to just assume that she would ride in the wagon, either. And, if it was still a ways off, they might rotate their positions, he thought. "What would you suggest, Celumë?" He wondered, curious if she had any input, since it had been she who suggested the idea in the first place.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She wasn't too sure whether she would be riding along with the wagon. What were they going to do with the prisoners? And how would Gwestion ride along in stealth amidst the trees, where the horse would be too noisy to be stealthy upon closer approach of any enemies? She was not eager to dictate how she saw things, however, and kept her thoughts to herself.

Gwestion's outright question, of course, made the latter impossible. Celumë's eyes took in the wagon, the family, the horses, the prisoners.

"The prisoners cannot ride in the wagon," she began, finally. "Nársulë is a fine horse, but I will not make him pull a wagon full of goods and as many as six people. The prisoners will have to walk, tied to one of your horses," she replied to both brothers at once. "Our pace will be slow, but that should suit us, for horses do not make for the stealthiest creatures amidst branches. My stallion does not require my presence to pull the wagon, not once I've made sure he is on his way, so I will move through the trees alongside our group, a ways from the road. If either of you wants to join me, you are very welcome. Your horse, however," she continued, her voice reverting to the easy tone of command, "is not." Realizing what she was doing, she raised her left hand slightly in apology. "At least... that would be my recommendation. One of us - visible, with the wagon, and a spare horse. The other two - hidden in case of emergencies. It will be more rigorous for those moving through the trees than atop horseback, of course," she allowed. "But it is the safest option." And she had no problem doing so.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

Listening to Celumë's suggestions, which almost sounded like orders for a moment, Gwestion took a moment to think it over, and slowly nodded. "That sounds like the best plan, as far as I am concerned." He decided, although he did have some concern about the fact it would be harder going for those in the woods. Of course, Gladhron had volunteered him for that. He took a moment in his mind to assess how his leg felt. For now, it seemed fine. He hoped it wouldn't begin to bother him.

"Good," Gladhron smiled, glad they were all agreed. "Then we should get going, for it is already growing late. At the pace we're likely to be going, we will only have a few hours left in which to travel." He didn't think it a good idea to continue traveling after dark, with the family and everything.

Gwestion glanced toward the prisoners, and considered for a moment. "We can tie them to Mael," He offered. "She will not permit them to escape. But first.." He went to his saddle bags and pulled out his medical bag. "I will not begin until their wounds have been tended," He declared.

Despite him speaking in a quiet tone meant only for Gladhron and Celumë's ears, the woman heard and frowned. "Why waste your supplies on them?" She huffed. First they spare the creeps' lives, now they were going to bandage them up? She couldn't see the point in it all.

Gwestion held back a sigh as he paused to look at her. "I understand your hostility, ma'am," He answered, choosing his words carefully. "But please understand this; we can learn nothing from them if they bleed to death ere we can question them." He pointed out, keeping his voice quiet so it would not carry, hoping the bandits would not hear everything that was said. "And there is much they could tell, I believe, which would help us stop this same thing happening to others in the future." With that said, he considered the matter settled and did not plan to argue it any further. He went over and knelt by the man with the shoulder injury, and wordlessly began checking how bad the wound was.

Gladhron nodded as Gwestion went to tend to the wounded. A growl of pain mixed with swearing was heard from the man when Gwestion poured some alcohol on the wound. "Waste of good drink," the elder brother muttered under his breath as he turned to get his brother's gear off his horse for him. Mostly kidding, because he did agree they should tend to their wounds, but still. Trying to put it from his mind, he tried to anticipate what his brother would want to carry with him, and what should be left on his horse. He assumed he would want both bow and sword, and a water skin, at the very least.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

Their agreement, especially Gwestion's, was surprising. Celumë fought the urge to raise an eyebrow. But Gladhron's comment about only having a few hours left to travel today, brought her mind back to task. He was right. The family would need to stop once it got dark. Never mind their preference for a break and rest - the wagon could get stuck in an unseen hole. Darkness brought more than one risk.

Gwestion's insistence on tending to the bandits' wounds made her eyes flick to Gladhron. Why did the man phrase it like this? Did he expect his brother to protest? Did he expect her to protest?

She did not protest and returned to Nársulë in order to prepare him for his new task, and herself for her own. She spoke to him in quiet Sindarin, taking her time to connect. After offering him an apple from the saddlebags, she inspected the wagon and requested the father's help to get Nársulë hooked up to the wagon.

Once her stallion and the wagon were ready, her own gear partially moved from her horse to the wagon, she hesitated briefly between taking her longsword or shortsword with her. Moving through the woods... the shortsword could be more practical. But the longsword gave her more options if it came to another fight.

In the end, she removed her cloak and tied her long hair into a braid. Less cumbersome. She did opt for her longsword, and approached the brothers when she was ready. With one last detail. "How many arrows did you gather?" She asked, noticing that one of them had done so earlier. "I would not mind replacing some. If that is alright?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

At Celumë's question, Gladhron glanced toward Gwestion, as he was the one who had gathered the arrows. But he was busy tending to the bandits' wounds at the moment. "One moment, I'll find out." He answered her. Laying his brother's gear off to the side, he went over and quietly asked him where he had put the bandits' arrows. Gwestion wordlessly nodded his head toward the wagon, being busy digging out the arrow tip from the bandit's shoulder.

Leaving Gwestion to his unpleasant task, Gladhron went over to the wagon and found several quivers mostly full of arrows, piled along the gear, and selected two of these to replenish their own with. "Here, this should be plenty," He offered one to Celumë with a smile. "This I will divide between Gwestion and myself," He added, claiming the other. When he had packed all he could fit into his and Gwestion's quivers, he put the empty ones back with the bandit's gear.

Meanwhile, Gwestion finished with the shoulder injury, tying off the bandage. The man spat out the stick he had clamped between his teeth, and glared at him. "You couldn't do that any more painfully, could you?" He accused, sarcastically. "You could give me a swallow of that," He added hopefully with a nod toward the bottle of alcohol. "Might dull the pain from your torture, anyway." He muttered.

Gwestion had been about to stand up and move to the next guy, but paused to look at him calmly, while thinking for a moment about the best way to respond. "This is for cleaning wounds, not drinking." He replied to the latter part. "As for the "torture"," He added, with a very slight tone of annoyance at such an accusation, considering he had done his best to not be unduly rough in digging out the arrow. "If our roles were reversed, I daresay you would have slain us all, or left us to die from the wounds you and your friends had inflicted. Do you honestly feel you have any room to complain about having your wounds treated? Would you rather I left the arrow in?" He raised an eyebrow and stood up, letting him think about that as he went to check the next guy.

"Better not provoke them, Bob, they might decide to kill you, like they did Dave," said the one who was next in the line, referring to the man who had been paralyzed. As he spoke, he sent a dark look toward Gwestion, then cast his accusing gaze toward Celumë. Other than a few bruises, he didn't seem to have any injuries.

Trying not to let the words, nor the look, get to him, Gwestion held back a sigh. Seeing that this man had no wounds, he moved to the third bandit and took a quick look at his hand. He had already wrapped it in strips of cloth, so Gwestion didn't feel the need to re-bandage it, but figured he would look again when they stopped for the night.

"I suppose the leader of your little group, who rode off and left you all to fend for yourselves, would have brought your friend to a healer?" Gladhron asked rhetorically, in defense of the woman's actions, having overheard that remark. "And when it became evident that he would not recover, I'm sure he would have also found a full-time nurse to care for him, and provided living accommodations suitable for him, and further, he doubtlessly would have donated a regular pension to him, for the rest of his life..." He gave the bandit a hard look. "You might think about just what your leader would do for any of you who are wounded in the line of.. your "work"."

The bandit merely scowled and refused to look at them after that. Gwestion straightened after seeing that all wounds were cared for well enough for now. He gave a tiny nod of gratitude toward his brother for speaking up on that matter. While it was Celumë who had done the deed, the accusation was aimed at all three of them, and he felt uncomfortable with the whole thing. Wordlessly, he packed up the medical supplies in his saddle bags again and then took out some rope from another bag, so they could tie the bandits up in a line behind his horse.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë
"Thank you." She returned Gladhron's smile, albeit a bit less pronounced.

When she heard one of the bandits, Bob, snapping at Gwestion for taking care of his wound, Celumë held back a sigh. "What is it with these people," she muttered under her breath. The comment from the other bandit, along with the way he looked at her, made her want to look away. At first, she didn't - out of habit. But then she realized she did not need to seem impervious to anything out here. Wasn't that one of the reasons, although one of the minor ones, she'd come here anyway? And so, she looked away, not caring that anyone might see it as her having some difficulty with the choice she had made. Because of course it had been difficult. It had been impossible. But reality was reality, and he'd had no future. Why have the man suffer longer, even if he was a criminal?

Her eyes widened slightly when she heard Gladhron's words. His defense of her actions. She forced herself not to look at him, however. Instead, she moved to Nársulë, seemingly saying her goodbye to him until they would stop for the night - when in reality she just wanted to be near him. The stallion trusted her so fully, his presence was a comforting one. And she still had some time, while the prisoners were being tied behind Mael. She would linger near Nársulë until it was time to set off.

"I'll take the right hand side," she finally told Gwestion when all preparations were made. "Do you prefer to take the opposite side of the road, or the same side? There is something to be said for either choice. We can more easily help one another if we travel on the same side of the road. Communication is easier as well. But being on different sides offers two more diverse vantage points. It's up to you."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

Satisfied that the bandits were secured in a line behind his horse, yet would not suffer unduly during their march to Bree, Gwestion turned his attention to other matters. He couldn't help noticing, despite not appearing to be paying attention, that Celumë had gone to her horse, just as he'd done when he was troubled by the very matter which the bandits were bringing up, now. He made no comment as she returned, figuring there was no need to call attention to the fact he had noticed her apparent unease.

"I'll take the right-hand side," The woman declared, again showing her decisiveness.

Gwestion nodded, then thoughtfully considered her question to him. If they were traveling in stealth, then what need would there be for communication? He tried to think what all this might consist of. Perhaps, pointing out this or that which the other didn't notice? But, having one of them covering each side of the road, he felt, would be more useful. As she said, different vantage points. "I'll take the left side," he answered after a moment. "Though, I may.. go a little further behind everyone else." He added, wording it as if it would be planned, rather than admitting he might end up lagging behind due to any lack of physical ability.

"If something important comes up, or you run into trouble," He hesitated, considering the woman. She had proven she could fight, and shoot arrows exceptionally well, but he didn't know what else she could do. "Can you make a bird sound?" He wondered uncertainly. "For myself, I prefer to mimic the Willow Wren, when such a call is needed." He informed her. "It is common in these parts, though you may not have heard it before if you come from as far as Rohan," He gave a small, curious tilt of his head, wondering if she might give any indication of where she was from.

While the two of them discussed those details, Gladhron had gone to prepare his own horse for travel, although there was little to do. She had drunk her fill at the stream. He gave her a carrot and checked that all the straps on his saddle were secured and that his weapons and gear were stowed and easily accessible. "Are we nearly ready?" Gladhron asked, looking over the top of his horse's back, though trying not to seem too impatient. The family also looked eager to be off, and probably feared they were easy targets, sitting in the road like this.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

She slanted her head when Gwestion said he might trail behind them all. Why would he do that? Yet it seemed like he had his reasons, and she figured she was in no position to question his preferences. It would not pose much of a problem, as long as he did not leave too much of a distance between them. His question distracted her somewhat, however, and she had to hold back a snicker when he asked with such uncertainty whether she could mimic bird calls.

"I am not too familiar with the Willow Wren," she admitted. That he assumed - or at least guessed - that she hailed from Rohan, was obvious. It was not a bad guess. If anything, it was a logical one - given her appearance and how she'd proven she understood and spoke at least some Rohirric. But did she feel like lifting atip of the veil? Or was she perfectly fine with such an assumption? "I can mimic a few calls of birds we get further down south," she said, admitting at least that much, and probably strengthening the idea that both brothers were likely to have by now.

Gladhron's question made her look over. "Just about," she replied, raising her voice.
Then she returned her focus to Gwestion and made a specific bird call. "If you hear that one, I need you. Yes?" she checked, searching his face so she was sure he understood and would remember the sound. She asked him to make the Willow Wren sound as well, so she could pick it out if need be, and so she would know when he might have need of her.

With no more than a final nod at both brothers, she made her way to the trees on her side of the road. The right hand side. While she enjoyed travelling with Nársulë immensely, it was also good to be on her own two feet for a while, not having to worry about a path for her stallion and simply moving by herself. The invisible burden on her shoulders lightened as time passed and she could focus on things she was so used to. Things she was too used to, perhaps. Yet it felt familiar and secure, and she appreciated being able to work with two others on a good cause, even if she did not know them.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron & Gwestion

As Celumë declared she did not know the Willow Wren, and mimicked the sound of another unfamiliar bird, Gwestion was inwardly struck with amusement at the thought that actually, so far, he had only used the calls of birds he was not all that familiar with. He gave a small nod however, to signify that he would remember that sound. And then she asked what the Willow Wren sounded like. Trying not to feel too self-conscious, he turned his head slightly to the side and, hoping he hadn't forgotten the sound from when he'd used it some time ago during that 'adventure' in Lond Daer. It felt like ages ago now, when Gwandhyra had taught it to him. But the whistle sounded reasonably correct from what he remembered.

"It isn't the most accurate, I'm sure... but that's probably for the best, for I do not know how far North those birds are most common." He explained quietly, in case it didn't sound all that great. Also, a subtle warning that there could be real Willow Wrens around here, but he wasn't sure. With all said and decided that needed to be, he nodded back to Celumë before taking a moment to buckle the sword belt around his waist. With his bow in hand, he set off into the left-hand side of the forest.

Seeing them move off, Gladhron waited while the family climbed into the wagon. He checked the men's bonds once more before he swung up into his saddle. "Off we go then," he said cheerily as he urged Gaeroch into a leisurely walk. He positioned himself where he could keep an eye on the prisoners and also the family. Now and then, he glanced to the left and right, partly curious if he could spot either of them, but also checking for any dangers. Perhaps, partly, to make it obvious to any onlookers that he was being vigilant, as well.

The rest of the day's travel was rather uneventful, although far from dull; the boy was rather excited now that all the fear and danger had passed, and spent the whole trip chatting with him, asking questions and begging for stories. Gladhron promised a few when they set up camp, and enjoyed chatting with the kid. During the ride, he had learned that their family name was Millson, and that they were moving to Bree to set up as millers, because they hoped to get better work there than in one of the small hamlets further away, where they had lived up until now.

After a few hours, the light was fading so much that Gladhron could no longer see into the forest, and he felt that it might be good to stop their little caravan for the night. As soon as he spotted a suitable enough place, he called for a halt. Gavyn and his father, whose name he'd learned was Ethan, pitched in to help set up camp, while Mrs. Millson (whose first name was Faith) looked through their supplies to see what food they had left after the bandits pilfered through everything.

Gladhron secured the bandits to the wagon wheels while he kept an eye out for Celume and Gwestion to emerge from the forest. He figured they might take a few minutes to check the area and make sure it was secure before showing themselves. Or, at least, he knew Gwestion would do so. He didn't know Celume well enough to make any guesses about what she would do. Still, he was mildly concerned that the trek had been difficult on Gwestion, with his leg newly recovered from the break, and hoped he hadn't had any difficulty in keeping up.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

Once Gladhron called for a halt, she lingered momentarily to make sure she was not misinterpreting anything. When it became clear he intended to make camp, she started scouting a perimeter. Her half covered, she returned to camp, half expecting Gwestion to have beaten her to it. Yet, when she approached, she did not see him.

The family was prepping a meal. For all of them, she hoped, for the trek had made her hungry. Her first instinct was to go to Nársulë and unhook him from the wagon, but she greeted everyone politely before doing so. Once she had liberated her stallion, she led him toward Gladhron as she drank from her second waterskin. "Nothing on my end. All was quiet. I checked my half of the perimeter and no one else is nearby." Her eyes went to the other side of the road. "No sign from your brother?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Gladhron

When Celumë reappeared from the forest, Gladhron glanced automatically toward the other side, where Gwestion should be emerging soon. But, there was still no sign of him. While he finished with tying the bandits, he noticed Celumë moving to unhitch her horse from the wagon. He would have done that next, but since he didn't need to now, he took the time to see to his own horse. Gaeroch was glad to get the saddle off, and he laughed lightly as she nuzzled his pocket hoping for another carrot. "Soon, don't worry," he muttered.

About that time, Celumë came up with her horse, with a report of absolute quiet on her side. "That's good," He answered, feeling quite positive about that news. He glanced again toward the left-hand side of the woods as she asked about Gwestion. "Not yet," He answered, a bit hesitant. "But then, he is... meticulous." He shrugged slightly. "Give it a few minutes. Didn't he mention he may trail a little further behind?"

Gwestion & a random boy

After parting from Celumë, the trek through the woods was nice enough. On the first, anyway. For the first hour or so, he kept up with the wagon reasonably well, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings as he went. But not just his eye; his ears as well. He stopped now and then to listen for any sounds that didn't belong, watched for any motions or any disturbances in the wildlife, and other clues that he might not be alone in the woods. In the meanwhile, he was thinking about all that had happened in the last hour or so. The one bandit had named someone called 'Cliff' as if it was their leader. He couldn't prove it, but he strongly suspected that was the same man who had prevented Bel from reaching Bree, and the one who had escaped from Gwandhyra when he came to her rescue. That seemed like the one to catch, but he seemed to be a bit slippery. He'd like to capture him and put a stop to these murders and raids.

After a little while, the recently healed muscles in his leg began to feel achy and tight, just as he had feared would happen. He slowed his pace a little, taking shorter, but more frequent stops. He didn't want to push himself too hard, yet pressed onward so that he would not fall too far behind. The longer he traveled, the more he felt like he needed to rest and stretch the muscles that were no longer used to such strenuous walking. Inwardly, he grumbled at the months he'd had to spend lying around waiting on the bone to heal, although he was also well aware of how much worse it could have been. His thoughts flitted to his father, and felt a deeper understanding of how he must have felt when he was injured so that he never could walk properly again.

Taking in a deep breath of the pine-scented air around him, Gwestion thanked the Valar that he had recovered, and that he could walk. It was then, as he was taking a quick break from trekking through the underbrush while trying his best not to make any noise, that he heard footsteps crunching into the leaf fall of the forest. He froze, listening. That was no animal, he was certain, unless some animal had learned to walk on only two legs. He stepped behind a tree, concealed by its wide trunk, and waited with his bow in hand.

Not knowing who this might be, he remained very quiet while he listened to the approaching steps. It wasn't Gladhron, and he suspected it was not Celumë either, for he knew his brother would not have walked so noisily unless he didn't care who or what heard him. He wouldn't be so careless now, and he doubted Celumë would, either. And the family would stay near the road. But, it didn't necessarily mean that this was a bandit. And, without knowing whether it was a threat or not, there was no need to call for aid. So, he waited and listened.

At length, the person drew near to the tree. Gwestion's heart sped up, unsure whether it would be a foe, or.. he tried to think of other options. Were they near enough to any settlements for there to be people nearby? He had no idea, being somewhat unfamiliar with this area, but it felt as if they were rather far from civilization. Before he could think of any other possibilities, the person was practically upon him. In another step or two, he would see who it was...

And when he did see at last who was coming up behind him, Gwestion was nearly as surprised as the boy. He appeared roughly the same age as the boy from the wagon, but it was clearly not the same boy. He jumped in surprise when he saw the man hiding behind the tree, eyes wide in fright as he immediately turned to run.

Gwestion swiftly leaped forward and caught him by his upper arm. "Wait!" He exclaimed in a hushed tone as he turned the boy, frowning slightly. He had expected bandits, not a boy! "Who are you? What are you doing out here alone?" He asked, concerned to find a youngster out here. Had his family also been attacked? Perhaps he had somehow escaped...

"Let me go!" The boy struggled to get his arm free.

"I'm not going to hurt you," Gwestion spoke quietly and calmly, but did not let go. Despite that, he made sure his grip was firm but not so tight as to hurt. "I didn't mean to frighten you. But there may be bandits in these woods, and I don't think it's safe for you to be out here alone."

The boy stopped and stared at him for a moment. "Are.. you a ranger?" He asked, his eyes widening again.

Gwestion frowned, thinking he looked a little frightened, but did not give an answer to that. Most likely, he had been raised by folks who were suspicious of rangers and didn't trust them. "I asked you a question." He reminded the boy. "Who are you? Why are you out here?" He repeated, concerned for him. "Also, where are your parents?"

The boy regarded him warily for a moment, tried again in vain to pull his arm free, and hesitated. "My mother sent me," He answered at last. "um.. to gather berries." He explained. "Will you let me go?"

Gwestion tilted his head. He couldn't help observing that the boy had nothing with which to carry any berries, unless he meant to make a pouch out of his shirt. His quick glance also took in the hilt of a dagger, barely poking out from his waistband, mostly hidden by his clothes. "You've forgotten your basket, haven't you?" He asked. Something felt off, as if the boy were lying about something, but he wasn't really sure why. "No matter," Gwestion added as the boy squirmed slightly. "I don't think it is safe for you to linger around this area. Do you live nearby? Or, if you live as far as Bree, then you might be better off joining our company. We could see that you return home safely, and also warn your mother about these bandits." He added thoughtfully, wondering whether it would be better to have him join those in the wagon, or stay with him. The two boys might enjoy each other's company, he thought briefly.

Before he could get any further in his thoughts, the boy suddenly kicked out at his shin, bringing a stifled grunt of surprise and pain from Gwestion. The boy broke out of his grip and hastily shoved him, then turned to run deeper into the forest.

It was, of course, the right leg. The one which had been broken not long ago. Gwestion clenched his teeth in pain to prevent himself from making any cry of pain. The push had knocked him back a step, which caused him to put weight on the leg that had just been kicked. While there was no real damage done, it was throbbing now, and putting his weight on it made it hurt all the more. Having about the same effect as if he'd been tripped, he toppled to the ground, barely managing not to land on his bow, and looked after his assailant in confusion.

Sitting up slowly, he grimaced as he felt his shin, then pulled up his trouser leg to examine the spot. It might bruise, but otherwise, would hopefully be fine. He looked back toward where the boy had run, but he saw no sign of him. He sighed, then took a few slow, deep breaths as he waited for the pain to subside. Should he go after him? He hesitated, then looked toward the road, listening for any sign of the wagon or horses. He suspected that they were a bit further ahead now than he would be able to hear them, and frowned slightly as he debated whether to make that bird call. But he wasn't in danger, and he didn't believe he needed help. The boy would probably find his way home, and perhaps the talk of bandits had frightened him. He probably just didn't trust Gwestion, who was a stranger. He could hardly blame him for that, although that didn't make his leg hurt any less.

Sighing, he waited for a little while before carefully standing up again. It still hurt a bit, but he could go on. His pace was a bit slower now than before, but he continued onward, trying to look at the positive side of it; at least, moving slowly, and being further behind, he could watch for any sort of attack from the rear. Hopefully, there would be no trouble, and Celumë would be enough backup if they needed help. That led him to thinking about her. She had not said where she came from, but had implied she was familiar with 'Down South'. Logic would say Rohan, due to her light colored hair, yet she did not have any particular accent, which made him question that. Besides that, her eyes were dark, and that seemed less common for the Rohirrim. Either way, she had apparently come from 'South' and that seemed enough to make a few guesses, although he wasn't planning to assume anything without facts to back it up.

And all of that pondering had provided him with no actual answers, but rather, more questions. That made him smile faintly, realizing he was about the same way, in that he didn't like offering information about himself if it could be helped. Sighing softly, he continued to limp along, constantly scanning the forest around him while he went. Thankfully, for some distance the forest was mostly pines with very little undergrowth, so it was easier going and the ground was soft and padded with layers and layers of pine needles, but that also left him feeling more open and visible, and he wasn't sure he liked that. He pushed himself to go a little faster, but it felt like that only made his muscles ache more, and now he also had some pain in the shin where that boy had kicked him. So, he felt sure he was lagging further and further behind, and tried not to let that frustrate him too much.
Last edited by Rillewen on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Celumë

Meticulous. She smiled with some degree of self-mockery. The implication being that she was not? Or perhaps that his brother was unnecessarily so?

A nod, then. "Yes, he did say that. Perhaps that is why." She gauged Gladhron's bearing and his expression. He did not seem overly concerned, but neither did he seem exactly at ease. "How long, do you think, before we should go and take a look on his side?" Celumë asked. "You know his ways."

Not wasting time, she started prepping Nársulë for the night - taking everything off him and brushing him down, to make sure no piece of dirt would bother him or hurt him. "How was the ride?" she asked Gladhron in the meantime. "Did you get to know them a bit better?" She tilted her head toward the family of three.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength