And then.. [Short Story Competition!] Closed

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Master Torturer

Reposting the competition so people have a chance to put their awesome stories back up. I don't completely remember the post, it said something like: They were told never to enter the forest, that those that do never return. So why was there a well trodden path leading into it..

Balrog
I've technically already reposted the story in Lail's thread, but if I'm to spread my roots I better to spamming contributing all over so without further ado...

-- * -- * -- * --

“I don’t want to be Gothmog again!”

“That’s too bad, I am the oldest; you have to do what I say. Memaw and Papa said so!”

“Just two years! It’s not fair.”

“It’s absolutely fair, now you’re Gothmog and I’m Ecthelion, and I’m gonna kill you!”

The small child screamed and shrank to the ground, covering his face and head with tiny, dirt-stained hands. His sister stood over him, large stick in hand, ready to clobber him. He too had a stick, but it was tossed down on the ground in favor of the fetal position. He was small for his age, a tiny six and three-quarters young boy with dirty blonde hair and big green eyes. His sister, contrarywise, was large for her age; she was already almost as tall as their mother with muscled shoulders from working the field with her father. She was a bully, but a sisterly bully was something different from an unrelated bully. Bystanders might stop an unrelated bully from hurting someone, but a related bully? Well, that was either no one’s business or just childish roughhousing.

“Trina, please.” The little boy was weeping now, curled up into the tightest ball he could to escape and defend himself.

“Oh my god! You are such a little baby!” Trina threw down her play sword, making sure to throw it as close as possible to her little brother without actually hitting him.

He uncurled after a while, certain that his terrifying banshee of a sister had indeed left him alone. Sometimes she liked to hide behind the woodpile and jump out and tackle him. Trina was a mean old bat sometimes. She didn’t use to be. Before Mama and Da started working for that rich fellow , Trina was the best sister he could have asked for. She was nice, told him stories, helped him with his drawings, made his little toys to play make-believe with. Now, Trina acted as though she hated him. Did she hate him? He didn’t want her to hate him. What had he done wrong? He loved his sister and wanted to make her happy, but she was always so mad.

She wasn’t behind the woodpile. He breathed a sigh of relief. Just two more days until Memaw and Papa came back from their trip to the nearby town. They’d come to visit when Mama and Da had to stay longer at Mr. Steelshanks’ field. He hadn’t seen them in a week now. He didn’t like them being gone so long. Why did they have to be gone so long? Why was everything so bad?

The sky was a blank grey. He could feel the sun and see a little of its outline, but from horizon to horizon, there was nothing but plain, sad grey. It was getting colder too. Autumn. He liked autumn for the leaves and the pumpkins and the apple cider. He didn’t like the cold. It seeped into their home and into his blankets. Used to, he would snuggle up with his big sister; they’d keep each other warm under a giant pile of blankets, but now she called him a baby for wanted to huddle for warmth. He shivered alone in his bed. He had a stuffed rabbit once, but it had gone missing.

He shivered. It was really getting cold. It was hard to believe it was only noon. The light was weak and blah that he almost thought it was twilight.

The forest loomed like a giant creeping bush.

There was green, then there was Fangorn green. It was a scary green, a green that, if you squinted, looked more like black. Some sounds occasionally came out of the forest too. Sounds that made him very unhappy and anxious. Animals were rare in the forest; most of them lived in the surrounding fields and hills. The sounds that came out of Fangorn were not animals.

“I bet you’re too chicken to go in there.” Trina appeared behind and grabbed him by the shoulders. He yelped and jumped, causing her to burst out in a cruel stream of laughter. “Such a baby.”

“I am not a baby! I’m six and three quarters! I’m not scared.”

“You are so scared, you’re a scared little baby who’s too scared to go climb a tree in there.”

“I am not scared!” he yelled, his temper flaring. It only provoked her to laugh even more.

“If you’re not scared, then go in there and bring out an apple. I dare you, you little fraidy cat.”

“Mama and Da said never go into the forest without an adult,” he said, trying to sound reasonable.

“I knew it, chicken.” She smacked the back of his head and began to walk off.

“I am not a chicken!” he yelled, fat tears welling in his eyes. Why was his sister so mean? “I’ll go if you go.” He added just as she was about to turn the corner into their little cottage.

That stopped her. “Fine,” was all she said. She disappeared into the house. He was about to follow her inside when she came back out with her coat. “Let’s go.”

“Can I get a coat too? It’s getting cold.”

“No.” she rolled her eyes and started down to the edge of the forest. He hesitated. He really wanted a coat, but if he didn’t follow her there was no telling what she would do to him. Calling him names would only be the start. He grabbed the stick she’d given him to play “elf and balrog” with and followed her. Whatever was in that forest, he didn’t want to be unprepared. Trina only scoffed when he suggested that she carry one too. “I’m not a baby. I don’t need a stick.”

They stopped at the edge of the forest. It loomed over them like a giant verdant wave. The trees were dark and gnarled, twisted around and over each other. It was an impenetrable wall of wood, thorns, and leaves. He wanted to turn back.

“Chickening out already?” her voice was callous and sharp. She used her coat to push aside branches, creating a hole just big enough for her to crawl through. Resigned, he followed her. The tree branches were thick and strong; the bark was hard and scraped against his skin in the most uncomfortable way. By the time they made it through the wall of trees, he was scratched in a dozen different places, his face smeared with dirt.

“You look like one of the Woses,” Trina said after he tried to brush all the leaves and twigs off him.

“Do not!”

“Do so, now stop being a baby and come on. I’m tired of waiting for you.”

“I’m not being a baby,” he muttered. She didn’t hear him, which was a good thing because she’d probably smack him if she did.

They plodded through underbrush so thick it felt like quicksand. Each step made him feel like he was about to sink into the ground and never come out again. He had a less difficult time than his sister, using his sword-stick to help pull himself out. He snickered to himself. He’d been clever to bring the stick. Trina was kvetching ahead of him, saying all sorts of words and phrases he didn’t understand but knew meant she was wrathful.

Then, the underbrush just fell away. There was a path.

There shouldn’t have been a path. No one ever went into Fangorn. Mama and Da told them so. Told them never to go into the forest because no one goes in. But there was a path. They’d told them all sort of scary stories about boys and girls that went into the forest and never came out again. But there was a path. They told them under no circumstances should they go into the forest. There were things in there that didn’t like people. But there was a path.

“Trina…” he said, his eyes wide as teacups. He didn’t want to move, didn’t want to get on the path. There was something weird about it. Something that didn’t feel right. Their parents had told them no one goes into the forest.

“Come on, you whiny little…” she trailed off and walked onto the path. He wasn’t sure what he was expected, but it wasn’t that. She set foot on the path nothing happened. He thought the earth might crack open or maybe a trap would spring or something. But nothing happened. He was taken aback. What if it was just a path? Tentatively, he climbed down from the underbrush and onto the hardpacked dirt pathway. He thought it might have been squishy, filled with worms or something. But it was just hard dirt. He bent over and touched it. It was cold and wet. The dirt was dark, very dark. It would make wonderful soil, he thought. He clawed a handful of the stuff and put it in his pocket. Perhaps his Da would appreciate it. He ran to catch up with his sister.

“Where do you think this path leads?” he asked, trying to sound cheerful.

“How should I know?” was all she said, she didn’t even look at him.

He felt sad. He thought maybe this adventure would bring them closer, the mystery of the path, the scariness of the forest. But he’d been wrong. There was a tightness in his chest. Why couldn’t things just go back to the way they had been?

Something moved behind him. He heard the sound of a tree branch falling. He whirled around, ready to face… nothing. But there had been a sound. He looked all around, but there was nothing. No animals, no people. Just trees. So many trees. Had that tree by the path always loomed like that? He wasn’t sure.

They walked for a very long time. His stomach growled. Trina didn’t say anything.

“Trina…” he ventured after more time passed, “do you know where we are?”

She didn’t say anything for a while. He thought maybe she was ignoring him again or hadn’t heard him. “No,” she said finally, “I don’t.”

He didn’t know if that was a good thing or a very bad thing. That she was just as lost as he made him feel better, but that neither of them in which way they were going made him feel even worse.

“Maybe we should turn around?” he suggested, praying that she’d agree.

“No. We have to keep going. We can’t turn back.”

“But why?”

“Because I said so; because this path has to lead out. It has to.”

He didn’t want to disagree with her, but he very much did. There was a strange path in the middle of Fangorn Forest, a path that shouldn’t be there to begin with; there was no reason it would lead out. It would lead in if anything. They should turn around. He stopped and looked back the way they’d come. It looked like a tunnel, with the trees overhanging so much. It was spooky. He was could feel his stomach rumbling from more than just hunger. What time was it? Surely it was getting late now. How long had they been walking? He wanted to turn back so bad! He took a step. Then turned back around. His sister had not stopped, she was still moving forward, into whatever was on the other end of the path. He didn’t want to find out what was there. But he didn’t want his sister getting lost either. He groaned and took off after his sister.

They walked for another long amount of time in silence. Each time he tried to bring up something, she shut him down or ignored him. He could something was wrong though. Her face was all gray with worry and concern. She was lost. They were lost. But she was not going to admit it. Not to him, the little baby.

“Trina,” he said again for what felt the hundredth time. “I don’t like it here. I think we should turn back and go home. It’s almost dark. I don’t want to be out here when it’s dark. It’s scary in here. I think the trees are moving.”

“You can go back if you want, little baby. I’m going to find out what’s on the other side of this path. I’m going to be brave. You can go home, chicken.”

“Trina, I’m not a chicken! Stop calling me that.”

“Bwak, bwak, bwak,” she made the chicken sound and began to hop around from one leg to the other imitating a stupid chicken. “Chicken.” She stopped abruptly and gave him a look so cold and mean before turned around to continue walking that he thought she might actually be a different person. His sister was mean, but that look…

There was a sound ahead. Not the sound of trees moving, which he was sure he’d seen several times. It was not the sound of animals either. It was… drums? Voices? He wasn’t sure. He raced to his sister’s side, momentarily forgetting that she seemed to hate him now, and hugged her. She didn’t push him away for a good few seconds. She did though, eventually, and shoved him at that.

“What’s that sound?” he whispered, suddenly wary of being heard.

“How should I know?” Trina was not worried about the same thing, apparently. “Come on, let’s get a better look and give me that stick.” She grabbed his stick right from his hand before he could protest. He whimpered. “Shut up, and follow me, or stay here and getting eaten by one of your moving trees.”

Having no recourse, he went forward with her, moving into a position behind her. The sounds grew louder. The sun was setting out in the world. The shadows lengthened and came alive. There was something very bad happening ahead of them, he could feel it. He tried pulling on Trina’s sleeve, to slow her down, she didn’t even turn around to smack him, just shook him free and continued walking. He didn’t want to follow, but he did. Soon the forest was as black as midnight. There were no stars to be seen, the canopy was so thick with tall trees.

There was a light ahead though. It was faint, a hazy orange glow. There was something sickly and weird about it. Trina seemed to hesitate. Even she knew it was odd. Her hesitation only lasted a few moments though. Whatever was going on in her head, she was not worried about the light or was too curious. He just wanted to go home.

Soon, voices were distinguishable. They were chanting something. The rhythm of their words was strange and stilted. He couldn’t pick out any words, all of them sounded like gibberish. He looked to Trina. She’d stopped and was crouching down. They were close, almost close enough to see. The strange orange light was full of shadows now, dancing back and forth like frenzied animals. His hands were shaking. He wanted to flee, he wanted to go home, he wanted to pee. There was an odd feeling in his gut then. A curiosity. He wanted to see what was happening behind the curve in the path. He wanted to see the orange light, the dancing shadows, the creepy voices. He looked at Trina. She had the same look in her eye. Without speaking, they clasped hands and crept forward, moving as slow as they could. There were more sounds now, the drums, the voices, and the sounds of trees moving. Not the same kind of moving as swaying in the breeze or cracking in the cool air. They were moving on their own. The creaking sound was old, ancient, and dry. The movement sounded like it was a thing not meant for moving or walking. They peeked around the corner.

The scene was frenetic and strange. There were people there, some dressed in rags, some dressed in vestments more befitting the elves, and some even went naked. They were all dancing around a fire. It was a strange fire, the flames seemed to move and react on their own like it was a living thing. It touched some of the people and they shrieked. It was cries of pain though, it was more like laughter. He winced and tried to push his neck down into his body like a turtle. He was going to be sick. There was something, too, just beyond the fire. It was… a tree? A tree but not a tree. It was a ghostly thing, here but not really here. He knew what that thing was as soon as he saw it: a Huorn. There were so many stories about them. They stole people from their beds, wrecked their homes, killed their crops and animals. They spirited away infants to parts unknown. They were the source of all bad luck to anyone living within the shadow of Fangorn. He’d never seen one. No one who told the stories ever had. But they all knew the stories, they all knew exactly what a Huorn looked like. It was so huge, bigger than he’d imagined. It was truly a tree. Branches reached high into the sky like the claws of a vulture, a vast trunk of mottled greens and browns and reds. There was something painted on it. A symbol. He squinted but he couldn’t make it out. He inched closer and closer. His sister hissed and tried to pull him back. He ignored her. Who was the chicken now? He inched closer, staying as close to the trees as he could.

It was not paint. It was… it was blood.

His eyes widened. He clamped a hand over his mouth to keep from shouting. His legs felt weak. He wanted to crawl into a hole.

The Huorn spoke. The sound was awful. It was terrifying. The roar of an animal from a hundred feet underground. There were words. Atavistic human sounds coming from a tree were more unnatural than he’d imagined. He knew ents existed and they spoke, but they weren’t so much like trees as… as this. He whimpered. He could almost tell what the thing was saying. He had never been more frightened. He wanted his Mama and Da. He wanted his Memaw and Papa. He wanted his sister.

She crept up closer, huddling alongside him. She gasped and started to scream, he covered her mouth in a hurry, his eyes glued to what she was screaming at.

Their Mama and Da were there. So were Memaw and Papa. Mama and Da were bound and tied to a stone. They were naked. Memaw and Papa were standing over them, their attention rapt on the horrible words the Huorn was speaking. Tears started flowing down his cheeks. What was going on? This was all wrong. This couldn’t be happening. This was just a dream. A bad dream. That’s all. But… but… it wasn’t. It was not a dream. He knew that and he wanted to vomit.

A shriek rose up near them. For a heartbeat, he thought they’d been seen by one of the… people. But no, they hadn’t. It was a sort of call and response. The Huorn said something in that deep, feral not-a-voice, and the people gathered shrieked with glee and blood rending ecstasy. It dawned on him then. They were worshipping the Huorn. The revelation made him puke, but he had nothing in his stomach as his stomach and throat merely spasmed and went through the motions of vomiting. He wanted to shrivel into that ball he’d been in early that day.

“BRING…. FORTH… SAC… RI… FIC… ES…”

He understood the voice. He knew what it said. He knew what it meant too. He looked to his sister, but her expression was blank, transfixed, broken. Her eyes were glassy. She’d understood too. But she couldn’t understand what she’d heard. She was… hiding.

He wanted to run. But which way? Did he try to rescue his parents? Save them from the bloodthirsty tree? From his Memaw and Papa? How… how could he? There was nothing he could do. He was just a little boy, a little baby. All six and three-quarters years old. What could he do against all these people? Against the Huorn? He stumbled backward, snapping a branch as he did. His sister snapped from her stupor and stared at him with venomous eyes. She bared her teeth and hissed at him.

“Be quiet!”

He mouthed something; he couldn’t even tell what it was supposed to be. He couldn’t make his voice work. Nothing came out, not even sound.

They both watched what happened next with heavy limbs, their blood run cold. Their Memaw and Papa untied their Mama and Da, but they didn’t set them free. They took them to an altar made of branches and bones. Mama fought, tried to get away, tried to run away into the forest. Da didn’t. They were lain down and another man, wearing a strange headdress of leaves, branches, and thorns, appeared and with him a wicked-looking dagger. He stabbed them. Over and over and over and over and over and over. Tears clouded his vision. He heaved again, but still, nothing came out but bile and saliva. There was a great shrieking, the unified sound of more than two dozen worshippers. They hooted and hollered and went raving mad. The Huorn spoke, but he closed his ears to the sound. He didn’t want to hear the voice of the thing. He just wanted to go home and sleep in his bed.

A hand grabbed him.

He was ready to fight, but it was his sister. Tears streaking her horrified face. Her eyes were glassy and uneven. “We… have to… run…” she mumbled, her voice cracking and breaking. She stumbled as she picked him up. They ran. They ran as far and as hard as they could. But each time they looked back, that orange haze was just behind them. The path looked utterly different. None of the trees looked familiar. The trees had moved to block their path, to lure them away from the safety outside the forest. Still, they ran and ran and ran. If they stopped, they’d be dead. The Huorn and its raving lunatic cultists would catch them and sacrifice them, just like they did to Mama and Da. Memaw… Papa… they were with those people. They had helped kill their parents. That didn’t make sense. Nothing made sense. Why would they do that? They ran and ran and ran. It did no good though. The orange light was always just behind them. The shrieking grew louder and more frantic. The voice of the Huorn.

“We have to leave the path,” he said, his voice breaking.

“What? That’s… that’s crazy…”

“Please sister, please Trina. They’re going to get us if we don’t.”

They left the path. They jumped into the underbrush and its quicksand-like feeling. Trina had lost the stick and her coat a long time ago. They were stuck, trapped. Still, they tried to move. The underbrush was not kind, it knicked at them, cut them, slashed them with thorns.

“I’m sorry,” Trina said. “I’m sorry for stealing your bunny.”

He looked at her, his eyes barely staying open. They were both completely covered in grime, dirt, and blood. They’d been trying for hours to escape. It would be light soon, but he didn’t think they’d see it. “It’s okay.” He said. He reached for her and squeezed.

The orange light filtered around the corner and filled the forest.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Ent Ancient
In the forest, by a stream, there is a tree. It is a tree with beams and branches like any other and yet, it is not quite like the rest. In the winter, glossy leaves hang on against all odds, persisting in the cold, evergreen through the dark days. Little yellow petals spread and burst to color in spring to greet the warm sun before sprouting to seeds black as night like the beady eyes of the larks and nightingales who sing from its branches. This tree is a laurel and though it is like other trees, its life story is quite different...

Vines tangled in her pale locks and spiderwebs clung to her dusky olive raiment and trailed behind her in a ghostly train. Though the elf-maid looked like one lost among the dark webs of Mirkwood, she knew she now stood at the outer eaves of Fangorn Forest. In Mirkwood, she had fought her way through the tangled, sticky maze that tried to catch her in its net, struggling tooth and nail to escape after the stinger pierced her skin. She had meant to go west to the Golden Wood, West toward the light she had never seen, to sandy shores and a sea full of promise, maybe further still to a place of peace.

The twisted trees and shadowed paths had different ideas and the spider’s venom had driven her to delirium. To the Forest of Fangorn. A place not entered idly. The trees were close, the air stale and stagnant. The shade was deep and dense and mercifully free of creeping, crawling creatures seeking to snare her in their clutches. There was ancient life here she could smell in the musty soil that stirred as she set one foot upon the path, then the other, into the forest. She was weak, exhausted, poisoned. Throughout her life, she had seen many evil things that were unleashed upon this world by the servants of Darkness. There was nothing Fangorn could hold that was any worse than those horrors. Lórelinya, a Laiquendi, did not fear the forest. At least not this one.

Sometimes, she thought she heard snatches of whispers, groans and creaks that sounded almost like words. The harder she tried to listen and discern sensible words from the strange sounds, the less she understood until she finally gave up. Out of the corner of her eye, she swore she saw vines creeping ever closer but when she turned to look at them dead on, they were as still as stone.

The path narrowed and wound down a series of switchbacks past ferns that swept her knees and branches veiled in lichens that made her shiver, reminding her of the deathly spider webs that almost spelled her demise. There was a chill in the air down here, but it was fresh and full of vigor. A stream of clear water clove through the forest and called her forth with its song. After drinking her fill and splashing her face, using the cool water to wash away the last of Mirkwood’s detritus clinging to her clothes, Lórelinya stumbled up the bank. Overcome with weariness, she fell asleep upon a bed of moss.

Drifting deep, she dreamed of ancient things she had never seen: a dark world lit only by the distant jewels that twinkled above, the first rising of the Sun, brilliant in her splendour and calling life to grow, the tumult of the roaring sea coming to engulf all in its path. They were more memories than dreams and though there was beauty, there was great sorrow. The trees were fading, their once-great strength sapped and weathered by time as their homes fragmented and faded away. The same feeling deep in her own heart. As she slept, she felt her limbs stretch out, as if she grew roots, sinking into the soil where she could feel the thrum of the earth in harmony with her own slowing pulse.

The tree limbs closed in around her, raising her up and cradling her like a babe, where she awoke the next day. The mid-morning daylight trickled through the thick greenery. Above, she looked upon a tangled web of delicate linden leaves, craggy ash and pale birches. This web was a living, breathing thing, unlike the one she had narrowly escaped. If she closed her eyes and laid back her head against the branch, she could almost feel the slow heartwood breathing beneath her body. Comforted by the cool bark against her cheek, she lay there all day until evening fell and found herself weeping. For the loss of all that was once pure and fair in this world, marred by greed and corruption, for the home in the trees she had tried, and failed, to save.

Lórelinya had enough. She tried to intercept the enemy’s plans with cunning instead of strength, to break his lines of communication, to destroy the resources he sought, to sow discord amongst his loyal servants with everything she had. She had tried to accept inevitable defeat in the face of overwhelming darkness. She had tried it all and he seemed to eke out an existence that she struggled to hold onto herself. Her failure in Mirkwood was the last straw. Lórelinya could no longer hold on.

The Laiquendi fell from the trees to the forest floor where she crawled on hands and knees seeking some way out. All light and grace was gone. To breathe was to feel pain. To see was to witness despair and terror, war and death, everywhere she looked. To feel, to feel, to feel...was more than she could bear. Harden my heart, let it feel neither pain nor joy. Let me live without these burdens. They are too much...too much to feel, to mourn, too much to shadow my heart with grief. Take this away, take it away, please, please, please...she uttered her prayer to any who would listen.

Far beyond the shadow of the Enemy or the leafy roof above, the Star of Eärendil winked and hovered above the horizon. It might have offered her some hope if she could have seen it beyond the canopy. A wind rose up. The trees shivered and sighed, quaking and rumbling with unease and beneath their stirring, she heard a distant murmur, again in that strange language. She lifted her head, grey eyes searching for the source of the words. There was only herself and the trees.

In the stream at the bottom of the hill, there came a soft light glowing palest blue. It radiated through the water against the current and broke the banks, snaking uphill in a sinuous curve along the ground. Closer and closer it came until it reached for her legs, curling around her feet, encircling her. She stood to move out of its grasp but she was too slow. She could not move her feet, they were already buried by soil. The light rose up like a mist and encapsulated her. It tasted of spring rain and moss and felt cool on her skin and she welcomed it. Her legs tingled and stiffened as her arms stretched up to the sky and her hair whipped around her in the wind and then, she felt nothing...blessed nothingness.

In her place stood the laurel tree. It stands there in Fangorn Forest to this day.

Black Númenórean
Minhiriath, S.A. 998

Ardaric was three-and-twenty years of age when his father died, and it was then that he took up leadership of his settlement. To mark the occasion, his people made the short journey south to their heart tree, where they feasted and danced and sang prayers to the sacred watcher for seven days and seven nights. The tree was the site of their every important ritual, from births to deaths to comings of age.

When the balmy summer dusk fell, their dancing shadows mingled weirdly with the surrounding trees, and their lilting voices offered a strange contrast to the cicadas’ incessant droning. Women turned meat on spits, and children ran to and fro, fetching and carrying for their elders. Ever mindful of the forest on the edge of which they lived, they burned only grasses and those boughs which had fallen from dead or diseased trees. It was a time of mingled sorrow and delight: they sang praises for the lives of both Ardaric and his father, but they also lamented the burdens of death and duty which - though they fell upon all men - fell especially heavy upon the shoulders of their leaders.

Ardaric raised his cup of mead to a passing gaggle of youths, who giggled and punched one another as they ran off to dance rings around the heart tree. Liuva, seated at his side, smiled sadly at their retreating backs.

“They do not yet know there is sorrow in these woods,” she said.

“No. And, gods willing, they never will.”

She gave him a long, searching look. There was something akin to pity in her eyes.

“You hold out enough hope for all of us.”

Ardaric had no reply.

While they had always known of the Doom of Men, the times in which Ardaric lived had made his people bitter and cynical, and the weight of their survival was upon him now. The days since the coming of the tall men with a fierce light in their eyes had been marked by a thinning of the forest and dark, smoky skies. It would not be long before the cruel axes of the invaders reached their village and drove away the animals and plants upon which they relied. Ardaric’s hope for continued peace lay in the saplings his people had grown from mere seeds, but it was a fragile thing. The trees grew too slowly to replace those which fell, and every year the invaders grew closer.

There came an autumn day some years on when Ardaric and Liuva were awoken by a shout just outside their hut. Bleary-eyed, they rushed into the midst of their villagers, all of whom were staring south. Above the dense blaze of orange and red leaves, the massive heart tree’s maroon foliage loomed like a dark cloud. It was a cool, windless morning, and many of the people had blankets wrapped around their shoulders. Liuva shivered; in her haste, she had run from the warmth of their bed wearing only a thin gown.

“Did you see it?” she heard one woman ask her husband. The woman tugged at his arm and pointed toward the heart tree.

The husband nodded. “Just there!” he said.

Liuva tried to follow his gaze into the distance to see what he saw. Around her, murmurs of “Yes, I see it!” and “What’s going on?” and “Can’t you see it? Right over there! Where the heart tree is!” crescendoed into a panicked cacophony. Still, Liuva did not see whatever they were seeing. She went to Ardaric’s side.

“My love, what is it? Do you know what has them in such a frenzy?”

Before Ardaric could answer, a great gaggle of crows rose from the woods, cawing and squawking their panic. Liuva looked toward them, and saw the heart tree tremble. She gasped. That tree was more than one thousand years old. It was big enough around that it took ten men joining hands with their arms fully outstretched to form a ring around it. Even then, they would all be pressed into its rough and unforgiving bark such that their cheeks and arms would be scored and scratched when they pulled away. Nothing so ancient or large should move so easily, yet here was their heart tree - the foundation of all their lives - swaying without a breeze.

“What’s happening?”

“How could the tree be moving like that?”

“Mama, I can’t see! Lift me up so I can see!”

“Should we go over there to find out what’s going on?”

In voices Ardaric knew well, his people asked these and dozens of variations on the same question: How was this possible?

From the distance there came a mighty groan, as if a huge animal had been run through with a spear. The heart tree shook more violently, swaying wildly now from side to side. It would be only a matter of moments, Ardaric knew, before it toppled completely. A woman nearby began to cry, and her sister wrapped her in a hug.

As Ardaric turned away from the gathered crowd, he said to his wife, “I need to see Borani.”

That evening, Borani’s twin daughters led him, each holding one of his hands, into Ardaric and Liuva’s hut. His spine was curved with age, and the wisps of white hair on his head drifted back and forth as he moved forward with his halting gait. Having been born before Ardaric’s grandfather, Borani was the eldest of all the villagers. His daughters were older than Ardaric’s father had been when he died.

“Borani, welcome. Thank you for coming.” Ardaric smiled and nodded to the elder’s daughters, who hurried out into the night after helping their father to a seat upon a cushion. “I trust you know why I’ve asked you to come.”

The old man nodded. “The heart tree,” he said simply. It had finally fallen with a tortured groan and a mighty crash of boughs that afternoon. Since then, a strange silence had emanated from the woods - a silence that felt alive and purposeful, and which was reaching toward the settlement with long, cruel fingertips.

“Yes. What do you know of the men who came to these shores to fell our trees?”

Borani’s brow furrowed. “They came in my grandfather’s time. Landed their ships on our shores and, once they learned to speak with us, talked of bettering our people by teaching us their ways.” He shook his head with disgust. “They came on ships seeking the lumber to build more ships. Where they mean to go and what they mean to carry aboard all those vessels, I could not say. But that is what they have always wanted. That, and to rule us all.”

Ardaric sighed. He had always known that the tall men had been the cause of the thinning trees, the dying animals, and the mourning landscape. He realized that he had been naive to think that was all they wanted. The villagers had paid for his ignorance with their heart tree. Anger rose in him, like water coming quickly to a boil.

Ardaric rode out from the village with supplies for a two-week journey to the harbor. He rode back with revulsion and hostility festering in the pit of his stomach.

“He’s back!” called a breathless boy at the door. As the boy ran away, he left a trail of little white puffs of his breath in the air.

Liuva put down her weaving, wrapped herself in a thick cloak, and went to greet him. She found Ardaric changed: all the softness had gone from his face. His jaw was set and his eyes blazed as he looked at her. So striking was the change that she feared that, if she touched him, she would burn away with the same fire of fury that had transformed her kind, hopeful husband.

“Well, my love, what happened?” she finally said.

He closed his eyes, recalling the scornful, jeering faces of the tall men with whom he had met to plead their case. Simple, they had called him. Simple and crude. They had laughed at the peace offerings he brought and told him that the best way to make peace would be to cede his corner of the forest to their dominion. The trees would be put to better use in their fleet, they argued, than as the hierograms of a lost, backwards people.

Ardaric shared all this with his wife, who looked astonished and sad. “How terrible,” she said, knowing her words would do nothing to soothe the pain he felt. She let silence fill the space between them for a moment, then asked, “What will you do?”

“I will call upon the forest to defend itself,” he said simply.

Ardaric’s father - and his father’s father before him - had forbidden their people to stray too deep into the woods. This they did for fear of whatever fey powers had led to men dying or vanishing there without a trace. The heart tree was as far as anyone from their settlement could go. Thanks to this law, no one had died an untimely death amongst the trees in living memory, and Ardaric had intended to carry that on in his time. But since his trip to the harbor, that had changed.

He summoned Borani once more to ask the old man’s advice.

“I need to find a way deep into the woods,” he admitted. “I need to know if there is a path that will lead me straight and true into the heart of the forest. The heart tree’s grove is out of the way. At any rate, I dare not return there, knowing what I will see.”

Borani did not ask why Ardaric wished to break with his own policy. He answered honestly: “If you truly wish for this, I will show you the way.”

The pair set out the next morning. Ardaric kissed Liuva and promised to return to her before the moon next rose, seven days hence. Borani rode, wrapped in many blankets, in a small cart pulled by a mule. One of his daughters sat at his side. Ardaric walked, blowing into clenched fists every now and then to stave off the chill creeping into his fingers.

Their path twisted and turned, and on several occasions, Borani’s cart got stuck amongst gnarled roots and they had to pause before moving along. At last, they came to a place where the woods darkened and the trees began to press in close. It was as if they had come up on a different forest altogether. Ahead, the trees parted to reveal a worn path, which ran straight ahead until it faded out of sight.

“This is where we leave you,” Borani said. His daughter hopped lightly out of the cart and guided the mule around, so it faced in the direction from which they had come. “The last man to disappear went through there to prove himself to a woman by bringing back the head of a forest spirit. His name was Hunulf. I came here with some other lads to encourage him, but when he did not return for two days, we went back to the village. We were running out of food,” he said by way of explanation. “The path is said to be straight. If you still wish to speak to the powers of the woods, this is where you must go.”

Ardaric nodded. “Thank you for showing me the way,” he said. His words fell heavy among the cold trees. “Farewell for now.” He waved to Borani’s daughter and strode forward and along the path.

The old man asked his daughter to wait a moment before they proceeded back to the settlement. He twisted in his seat to watch Ardaric’s figure fade into shadow.

Ardaric prayed silently as he walked. Reveal yourself, he thought. Show me your true power. Show me that you can fight back. Help us. Help us repel them.

If he had not been so focused on his prayers, he would have noticed the whispering and creaking of the trees, and the way their naked, skeletal branches scratched hollowly against each other. Where squirrels usually skittered up tree trunks, there was nothing. No birds sang, and none took to the air as he approached.

After a time, Ardaric noticed a heaviness in the air which seemed to press into his lungs, making each inhalation come up short. He felt light-headed but plodded on, repeating his silent prayers in an infinite loop. Still, nothing and no one responded to his pleas.

In the weeks following Ardaric’s departure, Liuva had prayed, then cried, then gone off food entirely. The whole settlement had been unusually quiet and still, as if by holding their collective breath and tiptoeing about, they would hear Ardaric coming before they saw him and be able to celebrate his return all the sooner. But he did not materialize through the mists.

One morning, the village awoke to find the sun had not risen - or, if it had, it was obscured entirely by the hulking black clouds stacked in the east. Gathering in the center of the settlement once more, each person gazed toward the mass of shadow, wondering if Ardaric had summoned some force of nature to block out the sun and thwart the tall men.

Several people dropped to their knees, openly swearing their fealty to the east and whatever might come from it. Liuva stood in their midst, dizzy with weariness, and cried.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

High Lord of Imladris
Sorry guys mine doesn't exist anymore. I couldn't even begin to fully rewrite it it was a fevered dream in a far too hot RV while I was on vacation (you could tell because it had poetry even if it was shire.

Master Torturer
Awww Fuin :( Sorry to hear that! I am amazed though we only lost one!

Just to announce it again, Frost was the winner! <3

New Soul
Revered Grandmother wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:08 am Sorry guys mine doesn't exist anymore. I couldn't even begin to fully rewrite it it was a fevered dream in a far too hot RV while I was on vacation (you could tell because it had poetry even if it was shire.
BTW there might be a way to find it in the Google cache. I know I posted a link to the original thread in Hezar Afsan and the links are still in the saved pdf on the Google Drive. So I'll have to do a bit of testing to see if I can retrieve your story so you can repost it :grin:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Ent Ancient
I'm so glad you re-posted this, Windy! :grin: Congrats again Frost!!

I won't discourage anyone from cache-searching but I did try to find this one before and had no luck.. :( But I've said that about other threads that were later found, so its worth a try.

Balrog
I still say the judges were paid off, the clear the winner should have been... anyone but me. Seriously though thank you very much because everyone that posted (even the one that might be lost) were fantastic. The Plaza has some damn good writers, who would have thought it?

So the question now is... what's next?
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
Just swinging by to post the link to the original thread from the NuPlaza Archives since we managed to retrieve it. :rainbowheart: Let it be marked for the record. :grin:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

High Lord of Imladris
For the sake of it being once again in this thread even though we have access to the old one (we need my pitiful poetry on plaza main lol)

The world has changed yet again, the water, the earth the air, they've marked these changes. Some things though remain the same through all the ages.

On the eastern slope of the mountains a small woods stands, barely a sliver of what it once was, surround by suburban sprawl. With picketed white fences and manicured lawns and small dogs that barely deserved the name. Cement and asphalt surrounded it as did the hum of cars and the roar of airplanes overhead. This tiny woods though – it remembered. It remembered ages long past, when it walked, when it destroyed its enemies. When men feared it and would not enter it.\

Now parents still warned their children not to enter those woods, but they couldn't remember why. It was just something that they had always done. Perhaps it was the dark tangled branches that creaked and groaned overhead menacingly threatening to fall upon unsuspecting victims that walked under them, or the oppressing weight of the air that refused to move no matter how strong the wind was outside of the forest. Most wanted the whole thing cut down to make way for more new houses but others rallied to protect it. Old Growth Forest they called it. Though it's name was once very different, Fangorn.

It was quite happy to bring people into it's heart, a path perhaps once traveled by hart and hind now long lost from the woods remained clear. The forests favourite were children the young and the innocent - something kept the trees from harming them, sweet and innocent laughing and chasing squirrels or butterflies with merry giggles that lightened even the darkest hearts of the ancient trees that dwelt there. Their stories were fantastical when they finally left – of an old man sitting on a stone table his eyes so large and sad, and his body stiff and not willing to move easily though he held out his long strange hands to them and let them climb on him and sleep upon his lap as he hummed and sang them strange lullabies. They would be missing for days and come back taller brighter eyed and enamored with the forest keeping it safe.

They would come back singing as well, a strange song of places their parents had never heard of...Of the Willow Meads of Tasarinan or perhaps they had, if they had wandered into those dark tangled woods and come back out though they still didn't know where they were singing about. What scared most was the new song that was being sung faintly heard from deep in the woods.

The tree mans home...
The tree mans home.
Where the roots run deep
The water is sweet
Under his trees dome.

We're all here safe from harm
And the earth is warm
We're safe in the tree mans home.

For some never did come out and no adults dared ever to venture in to find them - for they would never come out lost in the rage of the trees under the Treemans sad gaze.