Minas Tirith Marketplace II – Free RP

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor

Liriel and Eradan's Grocery
@Winddancer

Ric was slightly surprised, and confused, to watch the lady hurry off to a back room. He wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but he lingered, taking a look at some other supplies nearby. She soon emerged, and Ric was intrigued to see that she carried a book. "Stew," He smiled slightly. He'd been trying to enjoy a bowl of stew just the other night at the Guesthouse, when his meal kept getting interrupted... it would be nice to be able to have something of that sort at home, where strangers couldn't as easily barge in to intrude on his meal. All he needed was a pot, apparently, although he had a suspicion there ought to be ingredients and things to put IN the pot. "I..." He got no further in answering her question before she had darted off again, apparently quite excited by a new idea.

Ric trailed along, a bit surprised as he watched her gather items left and right. "I believe I do have one, at home," He answered thoughtfully. Reilly used to cook some meals, he remembered. His friend must have had something to cook them in. All of those things were still there, and Ric had passed by the items hanging on hooks in the kitchen dozens of times without really paying them much attention, but he was sure he had seen a pot there. Watching the grocer lady fill the pot with supplies, Ric tried to take a look at prices, but found none listed. Strange, he thought, wondering if the lady just had everything memorized.

Considering the suggestion about ale, Ric put that thought aside for later. He rarely drank things of that sort, and so that would be yet another thing to buy to make this meal, unless he chose to leave it out. And he didn't know if he wanted to add any alcholicness to the pot, being unaware that it would cook out. But the subject moved swiftly toward the meat; the one thing lacking from the meal. A small smile tugged at his mouth at the pun, and he gave a nod. "Thank you very much, Ma'am, you have been quite helpful." He was glad to have come, and decided he'd been fortunate to have found someone so kind and helpful to aid him in his quest. "Those two young men I saw leaving as I entered, are they yours?" He wondered, curious. The second he thought looked too old to be this lady's son, but he could be some relative perhaps. Ric wasn't familiar with these people but the matter had grabbed his attention and piqued his curiosity.

Taking a look at everything she had put in the pot, the young guard was rather surprised to hear the price that she listed. He would have expected a higher one, but then, Ms Korsey did say it would be much cheaper to cook at home. He just hadn't expected that it would be that much cheaper. "Are you sure?" He asked hesitantly, glancing up at the lady. "Will you be making any profit at all?" He asked, wanting to make sure there was no mistake. "You haven't forgotten to include anything in the price, have you?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Master Torturer
Liriel

"Well use the pot to carry it all home in then, you know where I am if you find that you already have one." There was a thick handle on it and it could be used for bothing hanging over a fire as well as sat on a stove. For now it served the purpose of a basket for all the items.

"Young men?" Liriel screwed up her face in thought, wondering which young men he was referring to. "Oh! Berrik and Gellir? Running off? Ah yes, and no. The youngest is mine, Gellir. The oldest is Berrik, he is my.. hired hand." She hadn't actually thought of what the young man's actual job title was, nor did it really matter as long as Berrik felt like it was an actual job and not a hand-out. "They are always running off to Valar knows where."

She did not explain further, not knowing how to even begin should she want to. Most seemed to assume that Berrik and Dina were relatives who had come to stay and she was in no mind to set them straight. It was hard enough deflecting them away from Dina, given how adorable she was, so that they did not try and press her for answers, knowing how upset she got when cornered. Her mind flitted momentarily to the girl, hoping the boys had found her safe and wondering what had upset her this time. That was what was so heartbreaking, they never knew the why. Nor could they hug her and reassure her it would be better. But thank the grace of Eru, it did seem like those two boys got through the wall that she had built up around her, even if she did not let them hug her either.

"Hm?" She looked back at the young man. "Oh, of course I am sure. There is a sale on at the moment for starter kits.." the smile returned to her face, eyes glinting mischievously.

Steward of Gondor

@Winddancer

Ric nodded slowly, though couldn't help wondering a little about that situation. A hired hand who was always running off where his employer didn't know where he was? He thought that seemed a little strange, and that she didn't seem to mind it at all. But it wasn't really his business, he reminded himself. "I thought they might both be relations, of some sort. A brother, or nephew, something like that." He mentioned quietly. But that did tell him that the woman had at least one child, and therefore, a family to support. How could she then sell merchandise so cheaply, he wondered? Surely she must have some investment involved...

A sale? He found that vaguely suspicious, that she would so conveniently have a sale on 'starter packs' just when he happened to be getting what could be called a 'starter pack'. Not suspicious in the meaning of thinking she was up to some crimes, of course, but suspicious in the manner of thinking she was making that up. Upon thinking about it a little more, he began to wonder if she might think he could not afford much. He had mentioned something about trying to be more cost efficient, but.. he didn't want to take advantage of a kind person's good intentions. Ric returned a faint smile to the lady, and laid the recipe book down for a moment so he could get out his coin pouch. Counting out the amount she'd said, and half that again, he handed her the coins.

Tucking the book under one arm, he took the pot of ingredients with another polite nod to the lady. "You have a very nice store, ma'am," He declared. "I will very likely be back."
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Master Torturer
Liriel

Her mouth opened to protest the amount of coins given, already beginning to extend her hand back towards his. But she could see it had been done deliberately and she was also not one to make anyone feel bad about their means. Given that he had only paid slightly more than what the items were worth she let the matter drop.

"Thank you!" She exclaimed instead, giving him a winning smile. "Please do," she added as a chorus of cries suddenly erupted from the outside.

"Ah, sounds like the boys are hungry" she said alluding to the cries to what was most certainly babies. Big babies. Big hungry babies. Rather, chunky monkeys as she lovingly called the twins. Not that anyone knew what a monkey was, it just rhymed.

Sliding past Ric she called out to them as she made her way towards them. Each deposited in their own sturdy wooden crate off to the side of the building and in the shade, the two 6 month old twins were bawling like they hadn't eaten in forever. "Alright, alright! Hold your blooming horses, you aren't about to starve!"

Steward of Gondor

@Winddancer

It was obvious that she was about to protest, and Ric shook his head slightly with a slight smile. "Please," He said before she could. "You were very helpful, and kind," Something that rarely happened to Ric. Thankfully, she didn't object and he was pleased to see the lady's smile. Moments later he heard the crying babies. So there were more children? He was a bit surprised, and trailed along outside. He hadn't really paid much attention to the crates there, on his way in, but now he saw that it contained the babies. Twins, in fact. He smiled, surprised to see the very young twins.

He stood silently for a moment, observing the woman and her small children, and after a moment, took a small step nearer. "If I may ask.. what are their names?" He couldn't help being curious. Aside from himself and his brother, he only knew one other set of twins, though only of that pair still lived. And although they were the same age, neither of them had ever been friendly to him or Mar. "I don't mean to be nosy," Ric added, worried she would feel he was intruding, "it's just..I don't often see twins." He smiled faintly. "I... have a twin, myself, you see..." He explained tentatively. "He doesn't live in the city, however.."

He was almost hesitant to even mention it, for fear of invoking the same sort of reaction most folks he knew tended to have, whenever he spoke of having a twin. Anger, mocking, calling him a liar... he was so used to such reactions, these days, that he rarely ventured to speak of his brother since he already expected people to be skeptical. And now that he had come to realize why people had such a reaction, it was all the more disheartening, and made him all the more reluctant to try convincing people otherwise. But this was someone who had never met him or his brother. And she had been nice, before, so maybe.. "Are they.. difficult for you to tell apart?" He added, with further curiosity, hoping he was not being too inquisitive.

Master Torturer
Liriel

"Yeah yeah, I hear you, I hear you. Gosh you two sure are mine.." she chuckled to herself alluding to the bellowing she would do all day to sell her wares. Crouching down into a squat before the crates, she leaned in with a smile and greeted the boys. Just as with the other boys these two were growing the familiar curly hair, albeit still thin and wispy. "Gimme kisses.." she cooed to them, receiving a sloppy one from each before she expertly grabbed them both and perched them on her hips.

Turning at the voice behind her, she was suprised to see the young man still there, wondering for a moment if there was something else he needed to buy. Not many cared about babies, other than women to be fair. Still, some women didn't care either. Like that hag Laundress who would always yell if the boys fussed when she was around.

But if there was anything that she loved more than anything else in this world, it was her boys and her husband and she did not need any encouragement to talk about either. "Sure you may!"

"This one is Maethor" she said as she turned slightly to indicate which of the twins she was referring to. "And this chunky monkey is Thalion" again turning to indicate the other. Scrunching her face a bit when Thalion grabbed a fist full of her hair and shoved it in his mouth, she quickly showed surprise at learning that the young man was a twin himself.

"Really!? Oh wow! Truth be told I have never known any other twins either. None in my family. So it was quite a surprise I must admit, as I did not even know until it came time to deliver them."

"Tell them apart? Oh you have no idea!" Unaware that Ric might be an identical twin himself, she nodded her head enthusiastically which in turn made Thalion's hand bounce up and down and made him giggle.

"When these two were babies I had to constantly check behind Maethor's ear just to make sure who was who! You see there?" She said as she turned Maethor towards the young man, allowing him to see behind the child's ear. "He has a birth mark. Eru knows how I would tell them apart if it wasn't for that, though saying that their personalities are finally coming through which also makes it a little easier."

Steward of Gondor

@Winddancer

Ric smiled as he was introduced to the small twins. "Hello, Maethor," He replied. "And hello, Thalion." He replied, and recalled that he had yet to give his name at all. "I am Aderic, by the way." He mentioned. More for the lady's benefit, since the twins were clearly too young to be talking. He watched in curiosity as she showed him the mark on Maethor. "That's interesting," He tilted his head curiously. To his knowledge there was no visual way of telling himself and Ademar apart, although, in the past, Ric had considered that it would be helpful if one of them had a distinguishable scar. But that would involve having a wound, first, and he wasn't keen on purposely giving himself a wound.

"My mother also had difficulty, telling my brother and I apart," Ric admitted, feeling glad for this lady that at least she'd had something to aid her in that. He left out the fact that his mother had trouble telling them apart all through their childhood, and even to this day still got them mixed up. In fact, for all he knew, they might have gotten their names switched around when they were infants, but by this point, they had each gotten used to the names they used. That was who they were, whether it was the names they started with on the day they were named, or not. And neither of their parents had ever seemed to care, which they were speaking to, unless it was to brag on how wonderful Ademar was, and wonder why Aderic could not be more like his brother. Something which he would not aspire to for anything in the world, though he wouldn't say so out loud.

Smiling slightly, to hear that the babies were showing their personalities, he hoped they would both have good ones. But with a kind and apparently loving mother, it seemed unlikely they would be otherwise. "I wish them both much happiness in the years ahead of them." He spoke softly, glancing from Maethor to Thalion. "I'm afraid I know little of babies," The young man admitted, glancing back at their mother. "How old are they?"

Master Torturer
Liriel

"Pleasure to meet you, Aderic" she said with a genuine smile. "Oh I am Liriel.." unsure as to whether he would know. She always assumed everyone knew, if not by being a customer, then just by her known loudness. Afterall she could outbellow the fishmonger and he was loud.

She was truly glad that she was not the only one on Arda that had trouble telling her twins apart. At times she would feel a twinge of guilt when she had to look behind Maethor's ear just to see who she was holding. Eru bless her for when they were old enough to get into mischief. That didn't even bare thinking of. And as if on cue she saw Lúcon poking something with a stick.

"Lúcon!" she bellowed, the toddler immediately dropping the stick and heading back to his toy blocks. She would have to check what that was later.

"Sorry, boys.." she said apologetically as if that explained everything. "And thank you! They sure are a blessing for us. And they are half a year now. Crazy how quickly they grow at this age.." she mused as she gave each of their heads a kiss.

Steward of Gondor

@Winddancer

"A pleasure to meet you, Líriel," Ric replied, with a polite nod to the lady, before adding, "My mother also did not know she was to have twins," Ric mentioned, unsure if that would make her feel less like 'the only one'. "They were.. quite unprepared for it, I suppose." He'd heard often enough about that. And about how neither of them were planning to have children, but.. nature had other plans, apparently. Watching how Líriel almost lit up just to talk about her children, Ric was a little unsure how to react to that. His mother certainly never 'lit up' at the mention of her sons, at least never that he could recall. Much less called them 'a blessing'.

Glancing toward the other small child, Ric was a little surprised, and couldn't help wondering just how many there were. And seeing her trying to watch the little one and knowing she also had to tend to the babies, Ric decided perhaps he ought to go on his way and leave her to tend to her children. Perhaps that was what the hired hand was for? Though, the fact he was following the older boy who was big enough to take care of himself, didn't really match up. Whatever though, it was not any of Ric's business. And he had no reason to linger and talk, when both he and the lady had things to do.

"Thank you, again, for all of your assistance, Líriel. I can see that you have your hands full, so I shall be going on my way now." He smiled, readjusting his grip on the pot. "I'll be sure to return your pot the first chance that I get, as well as your book," He added her, with a brief glance toward the recipe book under his arm. "Thank you again for the loan of them." Glancing to each of the twins again he smiled, wondering slightly what he and Mar had been like when they were that small. And, he hoped that these two boys would both grow up to be good and kind, like their mother seemed to be. "I hope you have a pleasant day." Ric said, then paused.

After a brief hesitation, he added, "If.. if you ever require any assistance from the City Watch, ask for me, please? Lieutenant Androllius is what they usually call me, there." Not that he expected the lady to need any sort of help from the guards, but she had a shop, and thieves were not unheard of. And there were plenty of other occasions when a shop owner, or any citizen, might need help from the guards. Ric was further aware that there were some of his fellow guards who were less than enthused about having to do certain aspects of their job. Some of them could be downright rude, he had observed, and he would be displeased for such a kind lady to be treated like that.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
Liriel

She would have waved off his thanks for the loan of pot and book if she had a free hand. Re-adjusting the boys with a bounce each her eyes went wide when the young man further introduced himself as a lieutenant of the City Watch. She thought she knew all the lads there, guessing he must be newer to the city.

"Oh I wouldn't want to impose too much, we often have stuff getting knicked these days. It's usually no more than an apple here or a few potatos there." To be completely honest since the War the thefts had increased and apart from a few, she had not reported a singe one. She did not approve of theft by any means, but she also knew the desperate times drove people to do desperate things. She only wished she could do more to help them.

"But if I ever have an issue I cannot handle, I will most certainly ask for you!" Giving him a parting smile, she stepped over to a chair positioned next to the boxes and positioned the boys so that she could feed them some apple sauce she had nearby. She found that topping them off with actual food first before giving them breast milk seemed to keep them more full for longer.

Steward of Gondor

@Winddancer

He paused with a small frown to hear that they had a lot of things getting 'knicked', but gave a small nod. She didn't seem concerned by it, he noticed, and so if she was not going to press charges, there was little he could do. Small thefts were not really what he'd meant, of course, but hopefully that was the worst sort of problem they had to deal with here. Returning her parting smile, faintly, Ric nodded in farewell and started off down the sidewalk as a horse-drawn cart rolled up to a stop near the curb.

Erynneth Raedor
With a Daisy Dairy Farm delivery

Putting on the brake, Eryn waved to the lady grocer before hopping down from the dairy cart. Having started at the fifth level, and worked her way downward in her deliveries, there weren't many stops left after this one. But she still had plenty left for the grocery store to add to their shelves. "Hello, Liriel!" She called cheerfully. "I've got a fresh supply of stuff here." She paused, taking in the sight of at least three of the woman's youngest children. "I hope it's not a bad time?" The delivery girl checked, noticing it looked like she might be about to feed the babies. Despite having recently turned sixteen, Eryn had never actually been around babies much, except when coming here to deliver the dairy goods. Then, she felt a little bit awkward anytime there were small children or babies around, but tried not to let it bother her too much. "How are you and the children, today?" She asked politely.

Master Torturer
Liriel

"Eryn! Hey there! Wonderful! Get Berrik to give you a hand, would you?" Shoving a spoonful of applesauce into Maethor's open mouth, she suddenly paused and looked around. "Shoot.." she mumbled to herself when she saw that the three were not back yet.

"Ah, I forgot, Berrik had to uh.. run.." Quickly spooning in some sauce into Thalion's mouth after his very vocal reminder that he was there too, she turned back to the young woman. "Are you ok to wait just for a few minutes? These two will give us a chorus like no other if they don't get something in those pitless stomachs of theirs.."

Chuckling apologetically as both twins proved her point with an impatient squeal, she quickly shoved a spoonful into each of their mouths. She was right, it literally only took a few moments before the two had demolished everything in the bowl. Knowing that would need a top up of milk before they were going to be completely full, she set the bowl aside and quickly jumped up.

"Right let's get unloaded before all hell breaks loose." Even though she chuckled, it was going to be true if she kept them waiting too long.

Steward of Gondor

Erynneth Raedor

@Winddancer

Glancing around, Eryn didn't see Berrik anywhere. She was about to ask where to find him when Liriel remembered that he'd run off. "Oh, that's alright," Eryn waved a hand dismissively. "I can manage myself, you just worry about them. Don't want them starving to death for having to wait a couple extra minutes," She joked, going around to the back of her cart. No need for Liriel to stop feeding her twins, when Eryn was perfectly capable of doing this herself.

Selecting one of the crates filled with milk bottles from the more shaded end of the cart, Eryn set it down at the back of the wagon. "The usual amount of everything?" Eryn called, glancing around the side of the wagon. Might as well get everything lined up at the back before climbing down again, so it would save having to climb up and down multiple times to get everything.

Once Liriel jumped up to help anyway, Eryn didn't protest, but hoped the twins weren't going to start screaming theirs. "Here's some cheeses," Eryn set down a crate packed with a variety of cheeses next to the milk crate. "And this one's butter and spreads and stuff," She took more care with this, being in a large stoneware container that kept the contents cooler longer. "How's business? Doing well?" She asked, hoping perhaps things were steadily improving since all the war and everything. She knew several folks had suffered losses when they had to evacuate the city.. even the dairy farm had suffered a few, but they were recovering.

Master Torturer
Liriel

"Yep, usual amount will do." Liriel did not store much dairy in her shop, most of it was cheeses and a fair bit of it she ended up using herself for the family. They did have a good storage cellar that kept things cool enough to last a bit longer than if they hadn't, but most people usually dealt with the dairy farm themselves and she usually provided for the 'oops' moments when someone needed a bit extra or forgot to get the needed amount.

"Oh those cheeses look delicious.." she said as she eyed them, her mouth watering. She would have to make sure to test the one that looked to have fresh chives in it. Just to make sure it was suitable for consumption, of course.

Grabbing the crate of milk, she lugged it to just inside the store with the intent of having Berrik carry it to the cellar when he got back. With a worried frown, she had a look down the street to see if she could see the three "runaways", but as of yet they were nowhere to be seen. With a sigh she headed back to the carriage, grabbing the stoneware jar.

"Business? Oh just fine as usual thank you! How is yours faring? Getting any better?" No one had gotten through the war unscathed. Every business suffered. People did not have the usual funds they had before and even though it was improving, it was still slow going. She could still remember that year. Their farm devastated by the minions as they made their way to Pelennor Fields. It had taken another whole year before they could reap another harvest, burning through their entire savings as they fought to keep their business. Unlike Amlaith, the pipe maker, they were slowly but surely getting on top again where his business seemed unable to recover. People were more careful with their belongings now, making everything last longer. Where before they would not think twice about buying a new pipe when it suited them, they would now stubbornly puff on old cracked ones, unwittingly ensuring that Amlaith was going to go bankrupt.

Saying a silent prayer for Amlaith and his troubles, she gave Eryn a smile as she saw the familiar unruly mop of curly brown hair turn the corner. "Ah here he is, just in time.." she lamented as that very moment the babes had had enough of waiting for the rest of their lunch and began wailing as if they were being starved to death.

Steward of Gondor

Erynneth Raedor

@Winddancer

The usual amount, that was what she'd figured. Hopefully things would pick up again and there would be more folks buying things, which would help them both out. Hopping down from the wagon, she grabbed up the crate of cheese, grinning to hear Liriel mention that they looked delicious. "Oh, they are!" She confirmed. "I gathered most of the herbs for this stuff myself, too." She added proudly. "I've been doing a lot more of that sort of thing since my father hurt his foot," She added. In times past, Duinion would have brought herbs from the fields and forest for use in cooking meals, as well as in making the products. But this summer much of that had fallen onto Eryn's shoulders, which she enjoyed immensely. It was like a bit of field practice for when she would later become a ranger, and she was eager to put her herb-recognition and foraging skills to the test.

She followed Liriel inside and placed the cheese crate near the milk one, and followed her back outside. "Oh, the farm is doing alright. One of the cows is going to have a calf, so we're eager for that. But a couple of them are getting older, and probably won't be giving milk much longer." She added, with a sigh. "Having to travel all that way, and back, was a lot of stress for the poor things," She mentioned, figuring the lady would know what she meant. When they'd had to evacuate the area, before orcs came swarming into the Pelennor. Thankfully, her uncle Cailon had managed to drive the herd all the way to Lossarnach, and later back home, with only minor losses. "But we've got a couple more newer cows this year than we did last year. And if the calf is a girl, then we ought to have another milk cow when she's grown." They were all hoping for that.

"Oh!" Eryn remembered something. "I found this big patch of strawberries the other day, and brought a whole basketful home. Aunt Aggie made up a bunch of this sweet, creamy cheese spread, with strawberry blended in. It's soooo good." Eager to show it to her, Eryn pulled out a container of the pinkish colored stuff, and showed it to her. "It's delicious on just about everything." She declared, with apparent experience in that matter. Turning as she heard Liriel say, 'here he is, just in time', Eryn smiled at the grocer's helper and waved. "Hello, Berrik." She greeted him politely, with a slight cringe that she couldn't help, as she heard the babies starting to wail as if the end of the world was upon them.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
Liriel

It never got old, being greeted with a smile. Even if it was a relieved smile. Swats with brooms, angry shaking fists and yells were what he had come to accept ever since he lost both of his parents. But not Liriel, never her. Never angry, never frustrated with her many boys she was always warm and loving. Eradan was not much more different, although he was far more quiet. He honestly still could not believe his luck that Liriel had actually offered him a job and a place for them to stay. Though still worried about Dina, who was trailing further behind with Gellir, he could not help but return the smile. Setting off on a jog, he quickly made it to the wagon to help unload the rest, giving Liriel an odd look as she sniffed what looked like pink butter and mmm'ed.

"Hey there!" He replied to Eryn, chuckling softly as the twins sang their song of hunger. He took the butter/spread/whatever from her and headed back to place it with the other items while talking to Eryn over his shoulder.

"How's your dad?" He asked as he set the items down inside.

"Oh yeah! How is your dad? He seen a healer yet?" Liriel called from her seat, each babe now latched on for the rest of their lunch, a big piece of cloth covering her front so as to not expose herself as the angry hag would accuse her of.

Dina and Gellir finally arrived, Liriel looking away from Eryn for a second to give her eldest son an appreciative smile, he giving Eryn a soft mumbled hello, while Dina of course said nothing as she followed him back inside.

Steward of Gondor

Erynneth Raedor

@Winddancer

"How is your dad?"

The question brought a slight hesitation from Eryn, even as Liriel repeated it. "Stubborn, as usual." She answered, shrugging. "He's alright though. Yes, I did finally get him to go to his checkups," She answered Liriel, with a little laugh. She was careful to avoid looking over there, despite the woman being covered up. "He's got some broken bones in his foot, maybe ankle too, and I think they said something about a tendon or something," Despite her having begun a bit of training, she was still not all that certain about some of the terms used, and still trying to make sense of it. "He isn't too happy about not being able to walk and do things like he'd usually do." She added. "I have to keep reminding him about what the healer said, about staying off of it. But I think it's healing," She frowned thoughtfully.

"They say that in a month or so, he should be able to get around without crutches, at least." Eryn continued. She knew her father absolutely hated having to use those, and it had taken a lot to convince him to put aside his stubborn pride and follow the healer's advice. "Then it'll be even harder to make sure he's taking it easy," She added with a sigh, anticipating quite a struggle in that regard. For, once her father was cleared to start putting a little weight on his foot, she had a feeling it would be harder than ever to keep him from trying to be as active as before his injury.

She smiled at the other two that had entered. "Hello Gellir. Hello," The little girl she wasn't that familiar with, but knew she didn't really talk. Eryn figured she must be incredibly shy, and so she didn't try too hard to speak to her, expecting no reply. Besides which, Eryn wasn't entirely sure how to actually interact with small children, and thought it best that she didn't try it so not to maybe do it wrong. Was it possible to do it wrong? She had no idea. "Have your crops done any better this year?" She addressed this to Liriel, curious if she'd had any problems. "We've seen a few coyotes out in the fields." She mentioned, not sure if those would bother a vegetable garden. But there might be rabbits, which the coyotes could be after, or other critters to bother the plants. "I've been trying to get my dad to show me how to do some traps," She mentioned. "So, maybe I'll practice by catching a few coyotes before they can bother the new calves." She smiled, giving a possible hint that she might be able to aid Liriel's farm in protecting their crops in a similar fashion.

Master Torturer
Liriel

Liriel winced at the extent of the injury. She could not praise the Valar enough that her boys and husband had not broken any bones. She knew how crippling it could be and how many bones either had to be reset or never healed right. Especially is they were as stubborn as Eryn's dad and did not keep off of it.

"Have him see the Master Healer! No way to say no to her.." Liriel smiled softly, knowing the woman was not one to be messed with.

"Coyotes you say?" Now that was truly a worry. Their gardens were pretty well fenced in, but that did not mean that Aradan did not have to hunt the rabbits that frequented it. Though it made for good stews, it was indeed concerning when it brought along larger animals such as coyotes.

"Well any tips or tricks you are welcome to share with Aradan" she finished before Lucon came charging across the square, 'sword' in hand as he screamed like a banshee.

"I kill c'ote!" Dashing around Eryn, his imaginary sword swished from side to side as he 'defended' the young woman.

"And what if it sneaks up from behind like.. THIS!?" Berrik pounced the lad from behind and scooped him into his arms and twirled him around, much to the young boy's delight as he squealed with laughter.

Steward of Gondor

Erynneth Raedor

@Winddancer

Eryn laughed lightly. "Yes, especially since she's also his captain." She mentioned. She was glad, at least, that between her and Addhor, maybe even Nal, they had managed to convince him to stop trying to get up and do stuff, and let his foot rest and heal.

The suddenly screaming child startled her slightly, and she watched him run around, slowly smiling faintly as she realized what he was playing at. "I killed one," She mentioned, watching Berrik grab the giggling child. "With my bow. I don't think you'd be able to get close enough to one, with a sword." She shrugged. "But dad and I have heard one or two out across the fields, probably waiting for a chance to get at the cows." She frowned. Normally her father would be able to deal with that threat without any problem, but with him unable to get up and set traps, or climb up in a tree and wait for a good shot at one, or something of that sort, it made things more difficult.

"Anyway, I'm hoping to learn to make some traps for them, and for rabbits and other stuff like that, so I'll probably need to practice a lot. Sooo, if you need any help in defending your garden or anything like that... I'd be more than happy to help." She offered, hoping perhaps to have further 'ammunition' for convincing her dad to teach her stuff like that sooner rather than later.

Master Torturer
Liriel

"Oh you are more than welcome to practice on our farm!" Liriel's voice ended in a sharp intake of breath as one of the twins bit her a little too hard. "Oi you, behave or you are done" she admonished with a smile as she peeked under the cover, making one twin giggle.

Returning her attention to Eryn, she added "Just grab Eradan when you see him next. He might have a few tips and tricks to show you too."

Smiling up at Berrik as the young lad dumped Lúcon down near to her to finish carrying the delivery down into the cellar, the toddler immediately stepped over to peek under the cover too.

With the fit of giggles from all three, she knew that the boys were done, slipping her clothes back into place though left the kids to play for a moment longer before announcing it was time to make some luch.

"What about you Eryn? Staying?" she offered as she struggled to rise with both the chunky boys at once, grunting as she bounced them higher onto her hips.

Steward of Gondor

Erynneth Raedor

@Winddancer

Keeping her attention focused on various merchandise around the ship, Eryn tried not to think about what had caused Liriel to sound like she was in pain. Yet another reason not to have children. Though she was careful not to look over there, she could still hear Liriel fine, and was slightly surprised at the thought that Eradan might know some stuff about trapping, too. "Sure, I'll do that," She answered, wondering what sort of things Eradan might know. Since Berrik was dealing with the last of the delivery, Eryn examined some tin mugs with far more attention that was usual, while hearing the three little ones giggle and carry on. The poor woman couldn't seem to get any privacy, from the sound of it.

At the mention of lunch, and Liriel's invitation to join them, Eryn shook her head. "Thank you, but I have a few more deliveries to make," She answered. "If you should need any stuff before my next delivery day, you know where the farm is." She added with a small smile. "Aunt Aggie would probably be glad to see you, if you did come out that way." Aggie rarely got any visitors, Eryn knew. It seemed like lately, everyone who came out to the farm was there to see her dad, which was a rather different twist than usual.

Master Torturer
Liriel

Like speaking a magic word, Erland woke from his nap on the blanket which was lying under the table of crates. "Lunch!" He exclaimed as he fought to free himself of the blanket, almost bonking his head as he crawled out. Shaking her head, Liriel chuckled as she placed the babies back in their crates and gave them each a carved animal to play with. "I swear he can hear that word a hundred miles away.."

"Alright, you take care then Eryn and let your Aunt Aggie know I will do my best to pop around soon!" She gave a quick wave, before heading into the store and through to the house to throw together some lunch for them all, sending Gellir and Dina out to keep an eye on the little ones.

Berrik returned after lugging the last of the items down and gave Eryn a wave before chasing after Lúcon who squealed with delight. Both chased around the wagon a couple of times before Eryn could set off, though it was not long before Berrik slumped onto the front stairs next to Dina, out of breath.

Steward of Gondor

Erynneth Raedor
Leaving Liriel and Eradan's Grocery

@Winddancer

As yet another small child burst out from somewhere, Eryn was further glad that she had other places to be. She had trouble keeping up with how many children Liriel had, and it seemed sometimes like there was a new one each time she saw her, although she knew that was ridiculous. Waving to the grocer, Eryn headed for her wagon. "I'll tell her!" She replied, knowing her aunt would be happy to have the company. Eryn would probably try to find other things to do if Liriel brought her children along, however.

Pausing as she got out to her wagon, Eryn watched Berrik chase the little one around, and smiled slightly as she waited. "Oh," She remembered something suddenly. "Tell Liriel, that whenever she comes out to visit, not to be alarmed by the dog." She told Berrik. "Hattie wouldn't bite or anything, she's very friendly and playful. She belongs to my friend but she lives out at the farm now since there's so much more space than in the city."

Having given the heads up about Hattie, Eryn then climbed up onto the seat of the wagon and picked up the reins. "Everyone out of the way?" She asked, glancing down around the wagon and horse to check that all was clear. "Alright, bye!" She waved, then set off down the street to her next stop.

Steward of Gondor
(Private with @Ercassie )

Two guards came running through the market square, but came to a puzzled halt as they glanced around. Their fugitive seemed to have melted into the shadows, vanishing from sight. "Where'd he go?" One asked the other, turning a full circle as he sought to catch some glimpse of the trespasser they'd chased from one of the shops.

"I don't know... you think he ran into that alley?" His partner motioned to the dark opening between two shops.

"Could've... you wait here and watch for him, and I'll check it out." With that, the guard set off with a torch raised to illuminate his way as he entered the alley.

Out in the street, the second guard kept a vigilant watch up and down the street, but saw no trace of the intruder. All was quiet, nothing stirred. Not even a breeze moved along the dark streets.

After a moment, the other guard re-emerged, shrugging. "Nothing. It's a dead end, too, so he couldn't have gone in there or I'd have seen him."

"Then he must've kept going," The other grumbled. "Alright, you check down that way, and I'll investigate over here," He suggested, wearing a frown that was mirrored on his partner's face. The two guards split up and set off in search of their intruder, equally baffled as they were annoyed to have somehow lost the suspect.

Strawberry
(dressed as a boy, with a hat hiding her hair)
Needful Things shop - Middle of the Night

Cautiously peering over the edge of the porch roof, on the building opposite the alley the guard had investigated, Strawberry had flattened herself against the dark slate roof as much as she could, and kept her face down. Thankfully, her dark clothes had blended with the dark background, and now she heard the guards' footsteps hurrying onward in search of her. They had spoken quietly so not to disturb the folks who live in their shops, so she hadn't been able to hear much of what was said, but enough to know that she'd given them the slip.

Letting out a sigh of relief, she took a careful look down both sides of the street, then made her way to the edge of the roof so her legs hung over, flipped around, and lowered herself until she was hanging at full-arm's reach before dropping lightly to the ground again. Standing from the half-crouch she landed in, the thief glanced around to weigh her options about where to go next. Since she was going to be stuck here for another couple of weeks, she needed to find somewhere to hide out that the guards didn't check during their patrols.

Even as she was thinking about where to go, her green gaze landed upon the front of a shop that looked fairly abandoned. Perfect. Darting quickly across the street, she paused in the doorway, uneasy about the way it was illuminated so well by the full moon above. She waited a moment to be sure the guards hadn't returned, and spotted her. They were likely to return any moment, she knew, because they probably wouldn't stop looking for her, after catching her in one of the shops. She hadn't even been trying to steal anything that time! Just looking for a place to sleep, but they didn't seem too eager to listen to explanations, so she had run.

Though slightly surprised the place would even be locked, she had no trouble with the simple device. Her wire got slightly bent as she was picking the lock, but that was nothing that couldn't be fixed. She had plenty of them, anyway. The door now unlocked, Strawberry managed to ease it open about an inch before freezing, the awful screeching that issued from its hinges making her cringe. Was it her imagination, or could that be heard all the way down the street?! She held her breath for a few heartbeats, glancing back toward where those guards had gone. How much time did she have? She'd have to endure the screeching, though it made her nervous. At least the place was, as far as she could tell, abandoned. The noise wouldn't be awakening any owner to come investigate. Taking a deep breath, she eased it open another tiny bit, paused, then a little bit more.. until she could finally slip through the gap.

Once inside the dark shop, she waited a moment to let her eyes adjust. There was little to be seen, but there was an empty sound to the place. Only a faint beam of moonlight made it through the doorway, giving her just enough light to get a look at the place. Nothing on the shelves, as far as she could tell, nothing displayed on the counter. Just an empty, neglected shop, just as she'd suspected. Now, to close and lock the door back, before the guards came back and saw it ajar. It was almost just as much torture on her ears, and nerves, to get the door closed again. But at last she managed it, then used the same wire piece to turn the lock again, the other way, using the thin metal as if it were a key designed for that very lock. Once she heard the lock slide into place, she pocketed the trusty wire and pressed her ear to the door, listening for a long moment as her heart hammered in her chest. Had the guards heard the creaking door from wherever they were? Would they come to investigate?
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
ImageImage

Addhor Raxëlilta and Narradir Korsey
at Nelladel/Nell’s Bakery. @Isolde Alarion

Her promise of arrival was as musical to his ears, as was the small bell which sounded at the door. So small a thing, so simple, more than enough to have him look with a brief absence of breath to where she would emerge. Addhor realised, only after Nell was stood before him, that he was in fact staring, that he had not spoken, now some moments after he found her small hands in his.

“’Nell” his smile accompanied the word, as though the one thing brought about the other, which was accurate of course. The squeeze of her soft fingers, light as it was, felt like an embrace flung about his heart. “I was rather hoping that I might be able to help you, for once,” he admitted for an answer, as though it was a foolish assumption. But she had not forgotten and he could not conceal the truth. “It is,” he agreed, of her observant eye about the rack.

It is .. I, Narradir” added the other, more brazen, man as he too entered the store, arms full of furniture. “He wouldn’t hear of helping me carry the thing, when he could have hands on you instead,Narradir gave his best attempt at ‘helping the situation’. “Now I see why. Of course I would kiss your hand myself, but then my wife would cut off my head. I exaggerate. Well, not really. She is my world. But still it is a pleasure to actually meet you. Not that he’s been talking my ear off about you. Not that he barely tells me anything about ..

Nelladel, this is Narradir,Addhor may have mentioned his oldest friend in passing before, but had pleaded with the less subtle man to not embarrass him, in person. If he had not been so taken up with the presence of Nell herself, the carpenter might have even noticed just how embarrassing his friend was proving. “He likes to show off how strong he is, in front of beautiful women,” was the attempt at explanation.

The forester let the rack rest by the door and approached, as though summoned then, to demonstrate a bicep. “See that ?” he offered, unabashed.

Stop that,” his friend had to beg, although Addhor seemed far too glad of mood to properly make his friend leave off such silliness. “Is this a good time or shall we be in your way at all ?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Gwandhyra Harion - Interrupted
‘Needful Things’ store (before it’s official opening)
Middle of the Night. With @Rillewen

The Lady had brought him a chair. It was far more convenient a height to sit and stare across the street. Having angled the lonely piece of furniture, Gwandhyra had it set where he could see, and not be seen from his first floor window. He had watched the lights of his neighbour go out; first the downstairs and then some hours later, the upstairs too. He had continued to stare across the street, not with any real thought of spying anything. But mostly because he knew what was over there. And like a child who can not unwrap a present until time, the grown man could not help coming back to considering again. There was both a sense of excitement and also apprehension. Because once he had torn off the protective paper, there would be no chance to put it back as it had been. Once he did this, once he faced and said what he had come all this way for, he could never undo it. And after nearly seventeen years away from home, he both longed and feared for the inevitable moment.

He must have passed into slumber in his seat, for he woke with no clear memory of having fallen asleep. The creak of the door downstairs, saw him rise with his feet still planted before his sit-up bed. There was naught alighting about the street outside. But the Ranger had lived too long and learned too well, to dismiss that sound. That sense. Somebody was in the building. Somebody who ought not to be there. Somebody besides him ..

Gathering the great sword, ‘Reaper’ from where it was propped, and often handled to pass time, .. Gwandhyra began the slow and poised dance of sneaking across the room. He had been sequestered in the room for so long now that he had explored every inch of it. He knew where lay each small creak or cry that might betray him. And he had the years of practice which promised that whoever was downstairs would not hear him coming.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
(Private with @Someone Else )

Strawberry

Once silence had settled over the establishment once more, it remained that way. Strawberry slowly released a long breath, reassured that she had managed to slip past the guards. They were still chasing her down the street or something, somewhere, she thought with a bit of amusement. Now, where had she ended up? Turning, she peered into the darkness filling the dusty room. She wondered how long it'd been since this place was used for anything. Pulling out some pins that held her hat securely to her head, Strawberry removed the hat and stuffed it in her pocket. The other pins holding her braid wrapped around her head soon followed, letting the long, red rope of hair tumble down her back. She'd undo it later, and brush it. She was really hoping to find a safe place to use for a base while she was stuck in town, until she'd accomplished that job the crooked guard wanted her to do.

Exploring her surroundings, mostly by touch, she ventured toward the nearest wall and found shelves. And more dust upon them. Dust, dust, and more dust, with the occasional cobweb. She decided that seemed to be all this shop contained. There was a counter though, she discovered as she continued her exploration of the room. Anything on the counter? Nothing. What about under? She felt around, but there was nothing at all to hold the thief's interest. And then.. her hand brushed something fabric. She paused, waiting for a few seconds until she was sure that it wasn't some piece of clothing, and that there wasn't someone standing there. A tapestry, perhaps? She frowned as she tried to figure it out, and then realized, it was a curtain of sorts. But there was no window there. Why a curtain? Frowning, she carefully pulled it aside and put a hand out, wishing she had a lantern or candle or something to see by. Her hand brushed over a knob, and she realized with surprise that it was a door. Interesting. A store room, perhaps?

Curiosity, joined with the desire to find someplace that she could sleep for the night, drove her onward. The door opened to her inquisitive hands, with far less announcement than the front door had given. She was glad for that. Although, her first attempt at stepping forward resulted in a soft thud as her boot struck.. a wall? Confused, she cautiously put a hand out, and felt no wall before her. Lowering, she felt near her feet and discovered what the obstruction was; a staircase! Yes, that explained a lot. She remembered seeing an upstairs to the building, from outside. She had found the means to get up there, without having to climb.

Her steps were soft, yet still, Strawberry couldn't help a slight cringe with every tiny creak and groan of the wooden steps that protested having even her slight weight upon them. Though she was sure that she was alone in this abandoned place, it still bothered the girl to have her stealthy advancement be ruined. At least it was a good opportunity to practice her stealth, she thought with a wry smile, and did just that, testing each step to find the spot that would make the least noise before putting her weight on it. Though she didn't know the layout of this place, she put forth her best attempts at ascending without sound. She noticed that the steps didn't protest quite as much when she kept her weight on the very edge of the step, where the upright board under the step provided better support for the board that was to be stepped on. The higher she went, the more she detected a little light. She could make out the dim outline of the steps.

Strawberry paused once she realized that she'd reached the top. There were windows on either side of her, moonlight streaming into one of them. Taking a look around the room, she was glad for the tiny bit of light. Now what? What would be up here? She glanced around, glad to be able to see a little bit now, thanks to the moonlight. Yet, she was curious to notice tracks in the dust, from boots or shoes. Recent tracks. She listened for a moment, wondering if there might be someone else hiding out in the abandoned building. She didn't hear any sounds of people... but there could be rats. That thought gave her a little shudder, but she was glad to hear nothing of the sort. In fact, she heard nothing at all. Maybe someone had been looking at the place, thinking to buy it? She gave that a bit of thought before deciding that was probably all there was to the tracks. And if they hadn't changed their minds, there'd be a day or two at least before she had to worry about that.

Once she had assured herself that she was alone here, Strawberry proceeded carefully toward a nearby door, in search of a room where she might be able to put a blanket down on the floor, and curl up to sleep. Preferably one with a window, but she'd settle for whatever she could get. The first room she looked in appeared to be a washroom. While she'd definitely slept in worse places before, the girl decided to check the next room in hopes of a better option. Reaching out to try the next doorknob, it was a small relief to find it unlocked, seeming to verify that the place was indeed abandoned. She was looking forward to laying her pack aside and getting some sleep without worrying about getting caught and chased out... again.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Child of Gondor
Nelladel
Nells Bakery w/ Addhor & Narradir
@Ercassie

Her green eyes sparkled with joy at his answer and then his words were followed by an others and she smiled as she watched a man, Narradir as he introduced himself, bring the shelf in and he continued it would seem to try to embarrass Addhor but to this she simply smiled. They obviously knew each other well. “Nice to meet you Narradir.” Her smile widened.

Addhors compliment did not go unnoticed and she gently squeezed his hands in appreciation but then turned her attention to Narradir who she stared at when he offered his bicep. She giggled when Addhor told him to stop and she had to answer him through the last of them.

She looked more at Addhor then Narradir. "You're timing is perfect. It's fairly slow now, the rush is over." She looked back to the rack. It was beautiful and she felt the need to look closer at it. She stepped away from Addhor and the warmth of his hands to inspect the piece.

“Oh, it’s beautiful!” Her voice soft with wonder as her fingers slide over the smooth wood. She appreciated the work of the soft corners and the smoothness of the wood. It would display her wares wonderfully. “It’s lovely.” Her smile spread to her eyes as she looked up from the rack.

“I think it will look lovely in the place of this poor old thing.” She stepped over to the rack to be replaced. It’s time had come to be replaced. She looked back at the men. “ If you wouldn’t mind lending me a hand to clear and move this one I would be forever in your debt.” Her voice hopeful as she grabbed a half empty basket of small rolls and held them to her as she looked from one to the other.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

ImageImage

Addhor Raxëlilta and Narradir Korsey

As Nell stepped away, Addhor took a single step in chase of her, almost without registering the intention. That wheresoever she went, he wanted to follow. But since he did not wish to crowd or stalk her, he managed to hold back. His throat dried some though as she inspected his craftsmanship.

It had not failed to cross his mind that this rack was going to be a part of her world now. She would see it, use it, become used to it as a part of her everyday environment. It would not be a visitor. It was going to take up residence. He was jealous of a piece of furniture. And at the same time honoured to be allowed to leave a part of his world here in her’s.

I can show you. How the shelves separate from the frame,” he remembered. “Then you can use them as trays.” Behind her, the carpenter’s brown eyes blinked twice as Nell expressed her satisfaction. His gaze found the floor and then rose, before she turned around. Ready to not miss a moment of her.

Narradir had crossed his arms in a very casual manner, enjoying the scene that unfolded around him. It was something surprisingly new and unusual for the forester to not be held the centre of all attention. And usually he would have been declaring that there was clearly something wrong with this woman, to have scarcely cared about his hard-earned muscles, in favour of his more reserved acquaintance. But he couldn’t have said that he minded too much really, under the circumstances. Having known his friend a long time, he was not oblivious to the change in Addhor and so yes, he had been curious. And not at all disappointed now that it came to it. His friend was not versed in the ways of women, though, despite or maybe because of a former, ill-fated and best-not-even-mentioned marriage. But this was different, and he could see now why. And now that he had seen it for himself, Narradir knew that he did not have to worry.

He thus stepped up just as eagerly as his friend, to help Nell empty her old display of pastries. But soon the forester’s hands were too full even to surrender to the temptation of tasting one and, as he looked around to see where best to deposit his harvest, Addhor extended out the shelf he had detached from the new rack, and now held in both hands. “Perfect timing,Narradir grinned, and deposited his goods on the tray/shelf, which was laid across the counter shortly after.

Committing to a side each of the emptied rack, the two men raised it off the floor, so not to score scratches across the shop floor. And, after a small wobble where they experimented to get the balance right between them, the old frame gave up it’s space in the shop for the replacement. A second act of the same type of performance saw the new piece of furniture lined up, where the other had stood shortly afterwards.

Do you want me to get this one off your hands ?Narradir gestured toward the older rack, as Addhor brushed his palms against each other thoughtfully. He was fairly sure he’d relayed to his friend that Nell had previously spoke of their removing the old piece, for convenience. “Looks like you two have things right here,” the forester nodded once, but determinedly, with a broad grin. “Can’t be leaving any thing behind that might distract you,” he brandished a bicep unashamedly in a goodnatured last attempt, as Addhor shook his head with a sigh but an undeniable, if slow, smile.

Thank you Narry” he remembered, walking his friend calmly to the door, where the more boisterous man manipulated the old furniture, singlehandedly now with some ease, and winked in response before departing. Closing that door slowly behind the more spirited man, Addhor turned back to find Nell. And his smile grew as he narrowed the space between them. At the last minute, he seemed to doubt himself though and turned sidelong, poised to gather up the laid out pastries rather than face her head on.

I would stay a while and help you put these in their place,” he explained, without glancing up. “For I will admit, there is something that I wanted to put to you.” He drew his gaze up at that point, ready to reassure her that there was no cause for alarm. At least, he hoped not. And so he proceeded. “Now that we have a moment alone.

Child of Gondor
Nelladel Bakery
W Addhor & Narradir
Inspecting the new rack
@Ercassie

Nell watched with wonder how Addhor demonstrated how the shelves came out to become serving trays. She was fascinated! “Oh that’s going to be so useful.” Her smile brightened her green eyes. He was a genius!

She was very excited to have their help and to have the old rack cleared in no time, she nearly giggled to watch Narradir struggle with his arms laden with her baked goods but soon enough Addhor presented a solution with one of his nifty trays.

For the next few minutes that it took for them to remove the old rack and put the new one in it’s place she flit around them like a nervous butterfly. So eager to see the new rack in place yet wanting to stay out of their way too. So focused was she that she accidentally wrung a loaf of bread nearly in two. Noticing what she’d done she quickly put the loaf on the counter and wrung her hands instead.

When asked if she wanted the old one off her hands she smiled at Narradir. “Oh yes please. I’m sure Addhor can rescue some of the wood. “ She had to grin as his last attempt to impress her with his strength but she turned her attention to restocking the new rack as Addhor seen his friend and the old door out the door.

She stood facing the counter, arranging the many baked goods on one of the trays. With a quick side glance she noticed Addhor return although it seemed to her he changed his mind about something and abruptly turned his attention to gathering up the pastries.

She elected to let him be and listened as he offered to help her. She continued to stock the tray as she listened to him but she paused in her business when he admitted to having something to put to her. Dark brows winged upwards in question but seeing there seemed no cause for alarm they lowered to a more curious lever.

She completely stopped what she was doing to give him her full attention as her hands came to rest, clasp before her.
“I’m listening.” She looked up at him, curious what he might wish to talk about.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Addhor Raxëlilta

No sooner had he announced his intention to speak on something, then he regretted the stiffness of premeditation. Better to have simply come out and said what he would have her hear in the first place. Now there was expectation, and her attentive gaze .. And that alternative having arrived, of basking in the woman’s eyes and the frenzied peace which existed for him, only there, it was hard to tear away from and recall what he'd been wanting to say at all. Now she was listening though, ever so obliging. And so he must endeavour to be worthy of her time and interest, for he would hold the both of those for so long as he ever could. If the world was kind.

Well, you will no doubt be horrified to hear,Addhor almost gave in to a small smile, an increasingly frequent habit which he was quite sure was evoked by the woman’s company. It was perhaps telling that he found it more natural to joke with her so, these days almost as easily in person as he did when imagining these sorts of conversations. But after clearing his throat subtly, he managed to also continue his 'casual' confession, “that I have considered more than once or twice, when and where I might next have a chance to see you again. That it is in fact near impossible, some days, to politely wait for the next socially-acceptable excuse to escort you to some event you would hopefully enjoy, despite my wretched company.

It should have gone without saying, by now, that he enjoyed the spending of time with her. Though he was not the type of man to wear his heart on his sleeve. For all the vagueness of Isys recently, Addhor had come away from their typically strange conversation with a distinct goal not to let anybody else that mattered slip away from him, not if he could do anything in his power to prevent it. The Belfalasian had ever been cryptic with her advice. But her cousin certainly did not want to miss out on any more time with Nell than he might have already wasted by being so backward in coming forward with his heart in the first place. If the beloved baker knew him as he believed that she did, then she knew he was more prone to rationing important things, to have them all the more significant, rather than rushing or cheapening their value. Regardless, he had started with this now, and was not sure he wanted to take any of it back, even if he had been able to. Brown eyes ducked low for a moment but could not help but come back to find her own, particular fetching shade of green .... An incentive, if any were required, to continue.

It was though a delicate enquiry, whether Nell might feel ready to be alone in a room with him, and not such a room that any member of the pubic could walk into at any point, to spare them both from developing their understanding of each other. For he dearly wished, in truth, to know more of her life, her world, than what courteous smalltalk in either of their shops, or in some popular restaurant, or even upon an ostentatious cruise .. could ever hope to properly accomplish. They were both so busy, that the thrill of conspiring to catch the baker between her most harried shifts, and also always considering her family obligations, and his own as well .. more time it seemed was always being put into the planning, than in enjoying the end prize of her company. The pair were not teenagers, and they each had responsibilities of course. But the days of his being satisfied by catching a mere glimpse of Nell through the window as he passed by .. were behind him now. Ever since the day she had allowed him to realise .. that his fondness for her, to say the very least, was not unwelcome. It had been more than he ever had dared hope for. And a dream like that is hard to discard, once clasped close to the chest.

So I wondered, if you wouldn't mind, if I could ask you to come over for dinner ? To allow me to cook for you, I mean,” he added, in case she might suppose he expected it of her to do the honours, simply because she was the culinary expert. “Everybody ought to have somebody cook for them, even the best of bakers, for a change.

Having readied evening meals for his family, even way back when his single mother had worked late often into the evenings, had provided Addhor enough of experience for the man to feel reasonably competent in this arena. He had coped too, in Ithilien, harvesting and sustaining on what sustenance long patrols, long ago now, had required. And .. well, Unalmis might not be the best judge of character but he had come back repeatedly to share a regular meal with his father.

You do not have to answer straight away,Addhor offered, as though the question was so much more important than any outsider might think it. It was a progression though, and he was not of a kind to rush when he could indulge in a delightful thing. But neither was this any longer the time to stand still. Or silent. Life was short, and she was far too precious.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Tobedir Thôrmaetha
Wood Works shop
Around noon - the day after Erulaitalë

Continued from here

Getting past the guards wasn't hard. He came in and out of the main gate on an almost daily basis, so they knew him well enough to know he was only a boy who did not carry weapons. Therefore, they had no reason to think he would be bringing a weapon upon his return, today. Tobedir had tucked the dagger under his shirt, to avoid having to answer any questions. He didn't really want to have to explain to the guards how he found it, and where he was going, and he figured they were likely to take it from him if they saw it. He wanted to ask Cali about it, if he could find her. He didn't have time to look for her right now, nor to return to his house and tuck it away until he had the time. So instead he hurried straight through to the second level, to the marketplace.

He hadn't completely thought this through, Toby realized as he approached the entrance to the carpenter's shop. How did he intend to keep this thing hidden from Addhor (a former ranger) for the duration of this meeting? What if he expected Toby to start working right away? How would he sweep floors or whatever, while keeping this dagger tucked under his shirt? He frowned slightly in thought as that occurred to him, but it was too late now to turn back to home and put it under his mattress or something. Improvise, he told himself. His brother's friends had done plenty of that in their youth, and so did Iuldir, his own best friend. So he decided not to hide it.

Entering the shop, Toby let it slip out from under his shirt, and held it openly in his hand. Still sheathed, of course. "Um. Sir?" He glanced around until his gaze landed on a shelf laden with.. a row of severed hands! Dark brown eyes widening in stunned horror for a brief second, his thoughts flashed back to Addhor's comment about wanting 'an extra pair of hands'. Maybe he had meant it literally? Clutching the dagger tight, as if it might serve some form of protection against the fearsome carpenter (not that he would know how to use it, of course) Toby blinked a couple of times before his eyes revealed the truth to him. They were wooden. Carved, and at various stages of completion. Those at one end were barely begun, and progressing down the row along to those at the other end of the row, polished and complete.

Letting out a shaky sigh of relief, Toby took a glance around before spotting his almost-employer. And hoped he had been too busy with the tidying he seemed to be doing, to have noticed Toby's reaction to those creepy wooden hands. A faint blush had risen to his face, but that could be explained by the fact he had been running. "I do hope I'm not late," He mentioned, a little anxiously. Even without the lingering fear of the man, which had been so deeply set into him by his brother, Toby certainly did not want to begin his first job by being late! "I, uh.. you wouldn't happened to have seen Cali anywhere, have you?" He asked, trying to be quick about explaining his reason for having been delayed, and for why he carried a dagger with him. Certainly, it was not because he thought he might have reason to use it for defense. Not at all.

"Cali Dringolben, that is," He added, a little unsure suddenly whether the man would know who he meant. "I found something, and I thought she might be able to tell me where it might belong." He explained with a little frown, hesitantly holding up the sheathed weapon slightly, a little shy to reveal it to the former ranger, as though he might be scolded for having it at all. "It's got her family mark on it, so I thought she might know... well, I don't know. It's a custom made one, I think." He frowned, a little uncomfortable trying to explain to the man he hardly knew. Cali would understand, he was sure of that. And even if she hadn't been the one to make this, she'd probably know which of her family had, and could therefore have better luck pinpointing for whom it had been made.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gwandhyra Harion - Interrupted
Middle of the Night. Before Erulaitalë. With @Rillewen

The smallest of sounds told a story. The Gondorian poised behind the door to his front-facing room, and walked the way of them by memory, as though he walked them in truth. The downstairs door unlocked, the stairs crept, the moment spent to take in the layout of the first floor.
Had he left anything out in the greater space of his hideaway ? He could not recall that he had. He travelled light. He never unpacked. He never knew when chance would require for him to cut and run at a moment’s notice.

And he had the sword …

Duinion had begun bugging him about leaving it down at the Dairy Farm, if only so that there was not such a regular concern, when passing through the Great Gate; that it might be recognised. That it might incur questions. That it might be took of him ! Well, they could try ..

In truth, he knew that his friend had pondered a smart thought there, and he’d almost left it. At least on the last two secret visits he had paid. But knowing all that it was, all that it meant, and how he had had known it from his hands for such a time before, so long that he had fretted that he never might retrieve it .. How would he ever face his brother, if he lost the sword he’d taken .. borrowed … ?

A slight of a step accompanied the sleepy roll of the door, in the room next to him. As though the movement of that portal had rolled rocks, instead of mere dust, along the wooden floor. It was amazing what a combination of paranoia and practice could alert you to. And he had almost gotten caught up, all the same, by the fact of things he could not change.

One thing he knew now, it was not the Belfalasian who had entered. She would have checked on him first, knowing where he had taken up residence like a stain aside the wide front window. The fact of it being such a sun-less hour did not factor into his thinking, for his hostess was hardly predictable.

Still this was something else. And, thankful that he had in fact the sword still to hand, Gwandhyra raised the blade in both, before him. Caught a glimpse of his reflection in the window, and lowered the weapon as he ducked further behind where he knew the door would swing inwards.

When the moment came that it did so, having learnt the hard way not to act without caution, the Ranger of the North allowed for the wood to veer in toward him, as though a mere shadow was passing into the room.

Then, when it had reached the point to make contact with where his hand waited, he thrust forth swiftly and assured. Anything or one entering the room, his room, would be met by the aggressive rebound of the wood, and delivered a blow to stun if not more ably disadvantage them. He did not require such assurances, but in the state of mind which had hunted him for years now … he was not the type of man to leave a thing to chance.

Reconciling his qualms with the certainty he could not have killed .. whoever it was .. Gwandhyra stepped back and aside from all threat of the ricocheted door himself. So, stepping from the hidden corner, hands still clasped about the immense sword, he readied to learn what, or who, was stalking him. With luck they already regretted that fool move. If not yet, they most likely would in little time at all.

He was as hostile a welcome as were the dusty, unfurnished stockrooms.

Steward of Gondor
Private with @Ercassie

Strawberry
The Hunted... and the Hunted

The door opened silently, much to Strawberry's relief. Much better than the horrid creaking of the door downstairs. And there was a window! She could see the faint glint across from her, as moonlight from the room behind her glinted onto the glass opposite the door. Letting the pack slide down from her shoulders, Strawberry stepped forward gladly. She was weary, eager for a safe place to rest for this night, as well as the coming nights of the next few weeks while she was stuck here. The pack was heavy, and it was a relief to ease it from her back for a while. It would also be nice to find someplace to stow it while she was here in the city, so she needn't carry all her belongings around with her at all times. The weight of all her stuff added up after so many items found their way into her pack, after all.

Immediately, as if her stepping forward had triggered some sort of unseen trap, the door swung rapidly closed against her, as if slammed with great force. "Ooh!" A startled cry burst out of her throat as Strawberry found herself painfully caught between the door and the door frame, the knob driven hard into her ribs on one side as the solid wooden door struck her forcibly. Luckily, she wore a thick leather jerkin beneath her tunic, as a layer of hidden armor, or else that would have been far more painful. She'd endured pain before, much worse than this. She would certainly be alright in a few minutes, but still... how could she be so stupid! Despite her confusion at this sudden assault by an inanimate object, she felt frustrated with herself for not thinking to check for any traps... But how had she triggered it? And who would have rigged traps here? Why? Were there any more? The questions raced through her mind swiftly, as she was pinned briefly between the door and its frame.

The force which had slammed the door against her had let off right away, fortunately. As the door bounce back away from her, freeing the petite girl from her painful predicament, she collapsed to her knees with a pained gasping cough as she struggled to draw in the breath that had been driven from her lungs. Involuntary tears had sprung to her eyes, which she swiftly tried to blink away. Her pack had dropped to the ground outside the room when the door had briefly pinned her, and one hand now went to the sore place on her ribs where the knob had dug in, while the other rested against the floor to aid her balance. Wincing as she glanced up, green eyes widened as the moonlight from the room behind her spilled into the room before her, revealing... a wild-looking man bearing an enormous sword, held in both hands, ready to strike. So it wasn't a trap that she'd set off... there was a person lurking in the dark! And he was preparing to slay her... Before this unknown enemy could have a chance to swing his great weapon, Strawberry swiftly scrambled to her feet, nearly tripping over her pack in her haste to launch herself backward, away from the swordsman. His weapon looked longer than she was tall, and she wasn't sure how much distance she'd need to put between them to be safe, but the more the merrier.

One hand still pressed against her pained ribs, Strawberry hesitated for a brief second, undecided what to do, or what he would do now. She could handle herself pretty well, sure, but against a weapon with that kind of reach, she would have to get in very close to render it less useful to him. With her ribs and back so sore at the moment... as well as being a bit short of breath... that meant the odds weren't exactly in her favor. And she had no idea what this man's skill level might be, and besides all that, she really preferred to avoid having to fight if there was any way of avoiding it.. she felt it was always better to flee and let her foes underestimate her until she had no other option but to fight. Then she could surprise them when it turned out that yes, she can fight, and quite well. With all of that in mind, Strawberry snatched up her pack and fled back toward the stairs, hoping maybe she would prove swifter than the man with the huge sword. Belated, she remembered that she had locked herself into this place.. could she pick the lock again swiftly enough to get out? Otherwise, she would have to find some dark corner in which to hide, and hope for the best...
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gwandhyra Harion – Interrupted

One foot was closer than the other, readied to meet the rebound of the door once it came back at him. He had no intention of sharing such a striking experience. For the blow did not properly subdue the sound of contact … a smile spread across the lantern jaw where none could see.
It lasted just a moment, before comprehension struck him, harder than might any door. The ‘Ooh’ he had startled out of his stalker .. it was far too high an octave to be all that he had assumed. A child, perhaps. A woman at the least. No man for certain.
What then ?

Stepping free of the obstacle, he surveyed his catch. On it’s knees. On the floor. The great arms which had raised his threat lost all momentum in the shock of the sight. He hadn’t just delivered such a blow to his own nephew, had he ? But no, Unalmis must be a man by now, a young man, but still more grown than the spindly little thing that was gathering itself up on the floor.

That moment of concern, of uncertainty was all that it took for the intruder to seize hold of it’s bag and turn heel. A tail of braided fire swept out during the motion, further consoling the man that he had not made the worst mistake. Red hair. He had never seen the like before. Still .. a child .. Still, it was all the same.

Wait !” was all that he had time to try, before common sense warned him against shouting any further at this hour, the perils of rousing neighbours or worse. Stampeding after the fleeing figure would only hasten the enigma’s speed. With a curse the likes of which were common in lands far beyond this city, Gwandhyra let the sword fall harmlessly back to his side in one hand, seizing up his own pack from beneath the chair with his other swift grasp.

The weight of his weapon had served an apt rehearsal for such endeavours, so that one strong arm was enough to heave the weighted item into flight, out through the doorway in pursuit of the small shadow. It’s trajectory would have the projectile reach the top of the stairs at the same time as the small figure. Low enough that they ought not be able to duck under it, high enough that they could not leap over it. Even if there had been time enough for them to note it’s chase.

A blow it should render there to the slight invader, that might see them pitch over the top of the stairs in a tumble, if they did not have some fair agility or strong hold at the bannister to save them. It was designed though only to halt the escape of this unidentified surprise. It was all that the Gondorian would need to carry the small space between them and catch up to what was so intent on escaping him.

Child or no, he had made mistakes with trust before. And children have tongues to speak as well as the next grown adult. More so, in fact, in many cases. It would be a shame if the small one was sent sprawling down the stairs to their proper end. But that would at least be a conclusion to the immediate cause for alarm. A body could be searched and give up almost as much explanation to a dedicated eye as any confession could try to.

He could not recall the last time he had suffered the patience of hearing out a confession anyway. The world was full of liars.

Steward of Gondor
Private with @Ercassie

Strawberry
The Hunted... and the Hunted

'Wait!' the man with the giant sword called.

As if she was going to actually do that? Why, so he could kill her more easily? She intended to get as far away as she could, as fast as possible. If he was going to kill her, she would make it as difficult as she could, and hopefully he would fail. She didn't really want to be killed, especially not even knowing who was after her or why. Mentally, she raced through the steps she would need to take. Run down the stairs, cross the room. Pick the lock..would she have time to re-lock it after she was on the other side? That might slow him down a bit. Otherwise, she might be safer to just hide. Where was her lockpick? She snatched it from the pocket she had stowed it into for easy access, thinking it might be best to have it in her hand, ready to go when she got to the door again. Thankfully, she'd left it bent from when she used it before. That would help matters.

Suddenly, the hefty bulk of something came flying through the air, slamming into her back as she started down the stairs. Feeling herself pitching forward, two options flashed through her mind in the instant that followed; she could either launch herself forward the best she could, and hope she might be able to clear the steps and land on the floor..though it was dark and she couldn't remember exactly what lay at the bottom. Or she could curl up and roll with the momentum and hope for the best. Given her irritatingly short stature, making a leap down an entire flight of steps, from the top, without a chance to initiate such a launch herself.. it seemed highly unlikely she would make it. So the second option seemed the best way to go, especially considering her still-sore chest.

Her chin tucked in close to her chest as she tried to utilize the forward-falling motion to bring her body closer to the steps so as to minimize the impact slightly. Her arms wrapped around the back of her head to stabilize it and her neck, while pulling her knees in tight to her body. Strawberry had taken falls before, and had a pretty good instinct as far as how to roll out of them relatively unhurt. Still, her descent of these stairs was quite unpleasant, though speedier than she would have managed of her own doing. Arriving at the bottom with a startling bang, she cringed at the noise. She had left the door open against the wall, and the impact of her body slamming into it caused the door to bang against the wall behind it. Despite various places along her back and shoulders and hips that felt like bruises were sure to be forthcoming, the intruder swiftly launched herself to her feet, only to return partially to the floor with a sharp, yet soft, gasp. A sharp pain had flared in her ankle the moment she put weight on it. Panic sparked within her as she feared the worst. Was her ankle broken? Sprained?

She had no time to check.. the man was coming after her, she could hear him on the stairs now, taking the less reckless way of descending them. The other thing which had struck her had also rolled down with her, and she was tempted to grab it. Instead, she left it at the base of the stairs so that maybe the man would trip on it in the dark, and be hindered. Without putting weight on her left leg, Strawberry hastened upright once more, and snatched up her pack from where she had felt it land beside her, and lunged forward in a one-legged hopping fashion, through the open doorway. Moving into the darker front room, she swiftly pulled the door.. almost closed behind her. She didn't let it latch.

Catching herself against the counter, Strawberry whirled around so that her back was to it, and braced her hands on either side of her, to support her weight while the left foot hovered over the floor. This way, when the time was right, she could raise her whole weight off the floor, allowing her to send as powerful a kick as she could execute into the door when the timing was right.. when he should be just arriving at the door, about to open it to pursue her. Hopefully, that might stun him a bit, and cause enough delay to allow her to swing herself over the counter top and duck down behind on the opposite side, out of sight. It was dark enough in this room that she could use the solid darkness to her advantage.. so long as he didn't come up with a light source.

The pack was no lightweight and would have seen a sturdier intruder off their balance. It's success allowed the original squatter opportunity to cast brown eyes about the dusty, upstairs room. Just in case the one surprise stood in fact to be more than one. He threw a hand out at the other door and eyed the washroom hastily. Nothing. Except for relief. The Ranger had been caught on a staircase before, with foes coming at him from each side. And he did not intend to repeat that experience.

Assured that there was but the one trespasser, who had now taken two strikes in quick succession, Gwandhyra readied the sword as a candle before him in one hand. He reached the edge in moments and then took the stairs a little more leisurely, and sidelong, his back pressed against one of the walls. With each small step toward his ambition, the man's gaze scrutinised the shadow which shifted like an eddying pool at the foot of the stairwell.

So. Much. Noise. The banging and thudding was still echoing about his head. The Gondorian cursed under his breath, to silence such concerns, and proceeded to pursue the source of all such chaos.

A shadow separated from the darkness, passing through the portal of the opened door. The curtain beyond it must have already been drawn aside, for there came no sashay of fabric before the door silently came almost to a close. Finding the bottom of the staircase, Gwandhyra paused in the small dark space between steps and threshold. The door had followed the young miscreant almost to a close but there came no stamp of foot in flight beyond that. No lamp lit to throw any light upon the subject.

Relegating his sword to his free hand, rearguard, the Ranger quietly lowered his stance, and grasped for his pack which lay like a rock of evidence near his feet. The motion of raising it was timely. For the door came at him like a shield wall. Knuckles met the wood with a bracing discomfort, but their trophy spared his face. For the pack held up before him took the hit. His teeth made a hiss of brief temper as, fingers smarting, the man dropped the pack like a rock.

And waited.

The distraction had smothered all sound of the young girl sliding across the empty counter top out of sight. So by the time the man had crushed his hand into a brief, anaesthetising spasm into his palm, and edged with one foot first, carefully around the door, the waiting room met him with nothing but an acutely held breath.

His sword arm did not lower, nor his guard. But wooden boards still cloaked the wide glass windows, and there stood no means else by which the small figure could have departed the scene. Save for a door .. which was still closed. That door creaked, he remembered. He had not heard a creak. He would have heard if it had opened.

I know you are here,” he almost sighed in a low tone. “I am not going anywhere. And the only way you are leaving, is with my knowledge. So lets ..

A light illuminated from the shop across the street, casting beams of sudden radiance through tiny cracks and crevices that the cloaked face of the shop could not quite stifle. Somebody must have heard the noise, the suggestion of trouble about. Gwandhyra pursed his lips in annoyance. Not now ! Not like this !!

As his free hand curled around the cold edge of the countertop, his eye caught a new pattern of contours now sprawled out across the floor. In the wake of the artificial dawn that spilt across the street outside. Cocking his head slightly aside, the Man smiled, even with one eyebrow raised. His prize now threw out an uneven edge to the dark silhouette of the counter, showing out across the wooden floorboards.

Reaching into his pocket, the Gondorian retrieved the key from his pocket and locked the door behind him, which erased the way back into the staircase. His one hand held steady his own shadow, with sword raised, but it likely shuddered some as he then caught his other hand around the curtain, conveniently close.

With an almighty heave downwards, the man's strength broke the curtain away from it’s high ringed holding. It crumpled into a pool of heavy fabric caught at one point in his hold, and in the moments which followed, the man gathered it up as he was able.

Before leaning across the counter and dropping the heavy curtain upon anything that was lurking thereabout.

His shadow, he knew must have given up some indication that he was up to something. But as he could not reach his target from where he was stood, and the sword would not bend around furniture, nor cleave the hefty counter into twain .. there was no way the small mystery should assume he could make purchase about her. where she was.

The curtain though, which he had swept across the counter top as closely as he could, before he thrust it off the ledge, ought be a unannounced arrival from above. And while his small antagonist scrambled with a falling sky of heavy cloth coming down over her head, the Ranger would have his chance to round the counter, and see what he had caught up in the makeshift net.

Child of Gondor
Nell @ Nells Bakery
W/ Addhor
@Ercassie

She gave him her full attention, he deserved no less in her mind. When he spoke of seeing her more and describing his company as being wretched she pursed her lips in disagreement. She enjoyed his company very much and always looked forward to their time together.

She could tell he was struggling with something, whatever it was he wished to speak with her about. He then continued. She listened as he invited her to dinner for even a baker could enjoy being cooked for. He then said she didn’t need to answer straight away.

She gently reached over to cover his hand with hers. She understood the importance of his offer, it represented more than a meal. It meant they would have some time to enjoy each others company without being under the gaze of others and the pressures of what society expected of them. They could simply be themselves. Speak as they wished, laugh as they wished and perhaps reveal more of themselves than they ever could in public.

“Addhor.” Her green gaze found his brown. “I don’t need to think on your invitation, I would be honored to have dinner with you.” She smiled up at him as she gave his hand a light squeeze. “..and your wretched company.” A teasing wink followed by a smile let him know she wasn’t serious. She enjoyed his company greatly.

“But you must let me bring the bread for our meal.” She insisted with a smile.

Steward of Gondor
Private with @Ercassie

Strawberry

She wasn't sure whether her door attack had been successful in striking the attacker, but she knew it made contact, and immediately after the door making impact, she heard a quiet thud along with a soft hiss, as if he were in pain. Good, maybe he'd be less able to pursue her, or at least less willing. Strawberry sat with her back pressed to the counter's wall, and pulled her painful ankle in front of her, supported with one hand as she carefully felt it with her fingers. It didn't feel injured, and she gently rotated the foot around slightly while it hovered over the floor, testing how badly it hurt to move it. The pain had already faded noticeably, and she hoped that meant she'd be able to walk on it in another minute or so without pain. But, unfortunately, she wasn't sure if she'd be able to wait that long.

Her heart was pounding so loud in her ears she almost expected the swordsman to hear it and follow the sound. Aside from that, silence filled the room. Where was he? It was too dark for him to have seen where she went, and if there were any marks in the dust on the counter top, he wouldn't have seen it, right? She only hoped that if he went around the desk, he wouldn't think to look here. The man spoke suddenly, startling her slightly. She tensed, eyes narrowing. Yes, he had to know she was still here, of course. She remembered how that door had creaked so horribly. Like hearing nails on a chalkboard. Though she couldn't quite recall if she'd ever heard that sound.. the phrase seemed applicable. But he was right. She couldn't easily get out of here without him being aware of it. Why was he after her? Just to kill her? Because she'd inadvertently interrupted.. what? She frowned as she began to wonder what the guy was doing here in this abandoned shop... Why would he be so intent on killing anyone who stumbled onto him?

Whatever he'd been going to say, he cut off abruptly as some faint slivers of light managed to fight their way in through the cracks between the boards covering the windows, cast from somewhere across the street. Strawberry glanced up sharply. Was that the guards? Coming to check into these noises? She glanced around swiftly, feeling panic rising. Shifting into a crouch as quietly as possible, she readied herself to flee if necessary, trying to ignore a faint lingering pain in the ankle. Taking a deep breath, Strawberry told herself to remain calm, and think this thing through. A few options occurred to her. If she yelled and screamed, those guards would probably come running to her aid, right? That's what they were supposed to do. And she might be able to slip away in the ensuing confusion. But then again, did she really want to go that route? What if she couldn't slip away? What if they recognized her on sight.. since she had, foolishly, taken off her hat and let down her braid. She now looked exactly like the picture drawn on that poster. Darn, why did she go and do that so prematurely?

Other options were various, and swiftly ran through her mind. She could make a break for the door in the hopes that she could get the lock picked quickly enough. She mentally grumbled at herself for locking it back after herself in the first place. Another option occurred to her.. she could jump out and surprise him, and fight the guy. But she had no way of knowing for sure how that fight would turn out, and she realized now that she probably would have had better chances at that before she ran and ended up down here. Up there, it had been close quarters. Down here, it was an open room with more space for him to swing that great sword of his. Meanwhile, Strawberry had only that small, unfinished knife she'd stolen from the blacksmith's shop. Still, before, he had surprised her and caught her off guard. Now, she knew he had a big long sword, and he... he had no idea that she could fight. Hmm. Maybe it would be better to save that surprise back as long as possible. Another option was to keep hiding and see what happened...

Before she could come to any decisions, however, she heard an alarming sound. It made her jump slightly. What was he doing? It was like... something being ripped down? Taking a hastily glance around, Strawberry noticed his shadow. It showed he was doing something, but what was he doing? Suddenly a thought occurred to her. If she could see his shadow... where was hers? It took barely a second to glance along the counter's shadow and notice that she did indeed cast a shadow. The swordsman must have seen it, if he was as clever as he seemed so far. Cringing slightly at this giveaway to her location, Strawberry quickly decided it would be best to move away from this spot. Now. She was no longer hidden, and wouldn't be able to hide anywhere in this room, as long as that light was coming in from across the street. She should've checked to see if the counter had any shelving space underneath that she might fit into.. or perhaps she could have stood to one side of the door and caught him by surprise when he came through. It was too late for any of that now though.

As soon as Strawberry had decided she should abandon this 'hiding spot', she launched to her feet and toward the door in one swift motion, her pack clutched in her left hand. Just as a heavy cloth dropped onto her. But this wasn't as big a problem as it would have been, if she'd still been down on the floor. And she'd seen where the door was, so she didn't have to blindly grope in the dark for it, now. Thanks to her lunging forward as the cloth was falling onto her, it only landed on her back, and only a small portion ended up over her head. While continuing her course toward the exit(with only a slight limp now), she reached behind her with her right hand and hastily yanked down on the main part of the cloth, which hung down her back like a trailing cloak. The cloth fell from her shoulders and into a pile on the floor as she kept going. The thief was already drawing the lockpick from her pocket as she raced for the door. Perhaps she'd have a chance. If she could just get the door open before he caught up to her. He'd probably chase her outside, but maybe she could find a new hiding spot before he caught up to her. It seemed the best option at the moment, though it wasn't the only one left to her.

Rounding the corner of the counter, he caught a glimpse of movement, and just like the cat swiping for an evasive mouse, the little thing had escaped him yet again by the time he came to where she’d left. Gwandhyra stirred the failure of fallen curtain with one foot, as his eyes followed his quarry.

Her path was clear, as was her goal also. The front door. The notion that it was, ought to be at any rate, locked …. occurred to the man belatedly. Even as he pondered over how this girl had even managed to get inside the shop in the first place ! Had he left the front door unlocked when he last returned to the shop ?

She was forced to come to a halt upon reaching that barricade, even as her pursuit stalked in dogged determination down the main aisle of the shop floor in her wake. What she was planning, what she had turning in one hand, he did not know. And suddenly neither could he see. The light across the street closed out, which on one hand meant that they might have both escaped the scrutiny of alert neighbours. On the other hand, the room dimmed almost immediately again into an inky pool all about them both.

It took a moment for Gwandhyra’s eyes to acclimatise to the altered scene, and he grasped out with one arm on instinct to seize the plucky little varmint before she got away. But he was not yet close enough to gain purchase on her nimble form, and .. and that front door had certainly seemed to stop her in her tracks. So. It was not unlocked after all. Having personally locked the door behind the counter, the Gondorian slowed further in his tracks, secure in the knowledge that, whether he could see her or seize her, the intruder could not now get out of this room. Not unless she could sneak through the slightest of gaps like a ghost.

Who sent you ?” His wonder was telling, as he approached, seeking while he still could to be sure. Because she had to realise that she was cornered. Because now came the opportunity to buy a little time. Because now, alone in the return of darkness, he had momentarily considered them as an alliance .. as In .. would whoever was awake outside come to investigate their raucous ? And brief though it was, the man paused. He had a daughter of his own after all.

How did you know that I was here ?” the Man tried another line of enquiry. Even while extending the great sword out in a single arm which had grown strong over the years enough to bear it; like a tree bough fit to hold the weight of all that climbed it’s heights.

How old even are you ??!!” he could not help but ask, and this time the incredulation crept into his voice at all she had managed to overcome and still persevere. The tip of the blade hovered a hair’s breadth from the back of the girl’s neck regardless. “Come now. Turn around.” The thought then, to state aloud that he wouldn’t hurt her, seemed too ludicrous even to the man as he thought and dismissed it entirely. She was hardly going to trust him. But what else she might try, he could not be certain. Save that he was not ready to underestimate her.

Steward of Gondor
Private with @Ercassie

Strawberry

The swordsman came determinedly after her, though he was not running to catch her. Somehow that seemed to alarm her further. As if he knew he could take all the time he wanted. As if he was certain she couldn't escape. Almost.. like a cat toying with a mouse? She didn't like that at all. Strawberry struggled to arrive at some level of calm as she reached the door. But just then, the small bit of light there was, was extinguished abruptly. She froze for a second, a bit caught off guard by the suddenness of it. But this was a good thing! The darkness had always been a great friend to the thief, and she breathed out a silent sigh of relief. Now it would be harder for him to find her, and she'd have an easier time hiding. That is, if she couldn't get out of here. She didn't plan to stay much longer if she could help it.

But, unfortunately, she couldn't find the keyhole! Putting her hand out, holding her lockpick clenched in her teeth for the moment, Strawberry ran her hand over the door. There was the frame. She followed it down to the knob. The swordsman was getting nearer every second. Her heart was racing as she felt, nearly frantically, for the keyhole. She reached to grab the pick from her mouth, and then..to her absolute dismay.. dropped it. The faint sound of the stiff metal piece falling to the floor was drowned out as the swordsman suddenly spoke, breaking through the silent dark once again. Strawberry froze. He was so close! And yet, her growing panic stilled for a moment, overcome with confusion, instead. The question he had just asked was... quite surprising. Who sent her? What? If he could have seen the girl in the dark, he would have beheld an utterly baffled expression on her freckled face.

Keeping very still, Strawberry practically held her breath as her fingers began searching the end of her braid for one of her extra picks. That would be far quicker than groping around on the floor for the dropped one, although she realized a moment later that wouldn't work, as this lock required a stiffer, thicker sort of pick than what she had in her braid. But now, her mind was whirling with questions. Perhaps she had misread this situation. It seemed perhaps they both had. Maybe he wasn't after her to kill her just because she discovered him, but rather... he thought she was someone else! He was expecting someone to come after him, then? She frowned and slowly turned halfway, as silently as possible. His second question only seemed to confirm the thought that he had mistook her for someone else. Someone who had purposely entered this place with the intention, and expectation, of finding him here? So then, was he like her, and had someone dangerous looking for him?

Feeling the tip of the sword lightly brush her neck as she shifted slightly, Strawberry froze briefly, then carefully leaned to one side, avoiding the sharp point. Her heart was pounding, and she was very glad she hadn't stepped back suddenly or anything like that. Moving slowly, as silently as she could possibly manage it, she eased herself to the left, away from that deadly blade. As dark as the room was now, she couldn't see the man, and assumed he could not see her either. But now she was thinking rapidly about this misunderstanding, and how she might clear it up so not to have to resort to a fight. His final question gave her yet more to ponder. That seemed like an odd question. One she honestly did not have an answer for. Why would he ask how old she is? And then, it dawned on her. He thought she was young. A kid, perhaps, due to her short height. She hesitated, easing backward another step, to try and get out of range of that great big sword. She stopped as she felt something solid, a shelf perhaps, just behind her, close enough that she could lean her weight on it if she wished. Not knowing how sturdy it was, she didn't let her back touch it.

So, this was quite a dilemma. The swordsman thought she was sent by someone, to kill him perhaps? And that she had, for whatever reason, come here specifically to find him. But the most useful piece of information was that he seemed to think she might be young. Younger than she believed she was, anyway. She wasn't going to answer the age question, mainly because 'I don't know' sounded rather stupid... after all, how many people don't know their own age? And she didn't want to risk saying one age when another would have been better for this situation. But it was useful that the man might believe her to be young. While Strawberry wasn't in the habit of playing a frightened, helpless young girl, well.. if it would help, then why not? She recalled not long ago she had played along with that corrupt guard, to act 'distraughtful' at the blacksmith's shop. Was distraughtful even a word? She had no idea but didn't care.

Strawberry quickly arrived at a decision, just a few heartbeats after his last question. "I-I don't know what you're talking about," She declared in answer to the first question at last, without making any effort to cover up her fright as she normally would. Her voice coming from a different location than he expected would likely startle him, she realized. She swiftly ducked to one side, moving away from where the man ought to be, following along the shelf at her back. Just in case he swung or attacked. "No one 'sent me'.. I was just looking for someplace safe to sleep..." She spoke quietly, a slight tremor in her voice. "Please, believe me, I didn't know anyone was here or I wouldn't have come in at all, I mean it!" As she spoke, the girl continued to back slowly away from where she knew he had last been, warily, one slow step at a time. For the moment, she let her voice sound as nervous as she was actually feeling. Where was he? Had he followed her? She bit her lip, pausing briefly, and then continued in more of a rush, "I was just trying to find a safe place to go... there were some men chasing me, and I was afraid of what they'd do to me... I thought this place was abandoned, I swear... and now you keep trying to kill me, and I don't know why... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bother you, just.. let me out, please?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brown eyes narrowed, seeking in the darkness for the stranger he had last seen right in front of him. It was tempting to reach out with his free hand, but he did not want to compromise his stance at all. She could not see him any more than he could her, which levelled the field so to speak. And though he did not hear her shy out of his path, when the girl spoke he knew immediately which direction she had moved to.

Her words were quiet but not steadily so, and so Gwandhyra knew that she was moving further from his reach the longer that her efforts carried on. Her words, such as they were, did not sound extremely far fetched. They suited the silhouette which he had seen take flight, and the shake about her shrill voice matched the story that she spoke.

Of course, the reason why she was afraid might be quite something else than the reason she had described. The word ‘safe’ had snuck into her explanation at least twice. And though she claimed to have been chased by ‘some men’ .. that could be some criminal element, or the City Guard. Or an outright lie.

Placing himself certainly in front of the door, as that had clearly been her goal, the Man sighed, and lowered his blade some, bringing it in closer toward his body. Not only to relax the weight of it ..

Why do you not tell me how you got in at all ?” he asked for another answer, rather than betray his reaction to any that she had offered him.

If it was a pack of lies that she was telling him, then diverting her away from what she’d already said, would make it easier to determine if she kept to the same story when he returned to query it later. He was not only a father. He had survived this long by becoming grossly paranoid and evolving a practiced history of lying himself. That he could recognise these traits in another human being did not make him any more inclined to trust her. Even if she had stumbled into his sanctuary on an accident, which was possible; that just meant that now there were a potential pair of perils out there, instead of just the one he was trying to establish it was safe from, before reaching for the bait that had brought him here in the first place.

Addhor Raxëlilta
at ‘Nell’s Breads and Pastries’ Bakery, with Nell
@Isolde Alarion

Her hand coming to rest on his, it said everything and just enough without being too much. Addhor found that his gaze was drawn to the warmth of her touch there. Her words though easily raised his interest back to meet the sincerity in Nell’s sweet expression.

The woman’s teasing, as much as her graceful acceptance, drew out the man’s rare smile. As she appeared to manage, more than most. “Bring your bread,”.he allowed without begrudging to the condition and in fact, encouraged by the squeeze of her fingers, adapted his hand about to properly cradle hers within his palm. His thumb traced out the soft curve of her own as he added, “Bring anything that will have you comfortable enough to come along yourself.” A subtle incline of his head toward her marked the great honour that he felt she was doing him by accepting the invitation at all.

I know that your generous nature is behind the gesture, rather than any suggestion that I shall burn the house down and else serve up only ashes to satisfy your hunger,” he let her know, teasing in his turn. “But if Saturday is suitable, then there is time between now and then for you to think on whether there is any food you are not really fond of eating ?” he suggested, sense sneaking in to support the sentiment. After all, the invitation was designed with thoughts of coming to know Nell better. Finding out that she might have some allergy only while delivering his guest up to her healer kin for first aid, was not exactly a part of that plan.

Child of Gondor
At Nell’s Breads and Pastries Bakery with Addhor
@Ercassie

And there it was, the smile. She wished she could keep it in her pocket like the rare jewel it was and it made her own smile widen in appreciation and to hear him agree to her bringing the bread and anything that would make her comfortable enough to come along herself.

He continued and she listened intently yet her mind drifted slightly at the sensation of his thumbs movement across her hand. His profession made his hands strong yet she only felt their tender touch.

His teasing caused her to chuckle lightly till she answered his suggestion of Saturday and if there were any food she wasn’t fond of eating. “Saturday sounds wonderful.” Her smile matching the gleam in her green eyes. “ If I think of something worth noting that I don’t care for I’ll let you know.” She nodded slightly. “Now a question for you, I must know your favorite bread. “ She looked up at him through her dark lashes. “I can’t be bringing rye if you can’t stand it. I would feel absolutely horrible if that happened.” She lightly nodded. She would never forgive herself really.

Steward of Gondor
(private)

Tobedir Thôrmaetha
Leaving from 'Wood Works' Carpentry shop
September 1st
(shortly before the Joust in Lond Col)
The Unexpected Reunion

‘I’m so hungry!’ The thought repeated for the umpteenth time in Tobedir’s head. He was beyond glad to finally be done with work for the day. Not that he didn’t like the job; he actually enjoyed learning about woodworking, and he had gotten to like Addhor well enough too.. after getting to know him better. Turns out, he wasn’t nearly as scary as Tobedir had thought. But, today, Toby was eager to get home and get something to eat. He hadn’t eaten since breakfast, early that morning, because he hadn’t had enough money to stop at the bakery for anything after school, today. But today was payday. His stomach rumbled quietly, but thankfully, he was already hurrying out into the street, his arms full of his rather battered-looking books that he only just barely remembered not to leave behind. His pay for the week, contained in a coin pouch, was stuffed into a pocket.

His trip homeward through the busy streets of the market was abruptly interrupted, however, as he unexpectedly collided with someone. The impact caused him to drop several of his books. “Sorry!” Tobedir exclaimed, simultaneous with the other boy’s rather different exclamation,
“Watch where you’re going, stupid!”

Toby froze, eyes widening as his dark brown eyes fell upon the last person in the world he wanted to see. He had run into Colben Ristor.. of all people! And the blacksmith’s son was scowling angrily at him. “I.. I didn’t mean to. I said I’m sorry,” Tobedir reminded him, trying not to cringe at his misfortune.

Colben scoffed, shoving Toby hard enough that he staggered backward. “Like that makes it all better?” He rolled his eyes. “Actually, as it happens, I was looking for you.” He smiled, but it wasn’t a very friendly smile, as he forcibly guided Toby toward the nearby alley between two shops.. away from the public eye.

“Uhh, actually, I gotta get home,” Toby tried to resist, brown eyes widening a little as he got an uneasy feeling about this. But Colben was stronger than him, having built up strength helping his father in the forge. The forge that Cali’s family actually owned, Toby thought idly, wishing his brother’s friend’s family had never rented that place out to anyone else.

“You can go home after we’ve had our chat,” Colben assured him.

“But I don’t want to talk to you,” Toby frowned. He had enough of the boy at school, now he was bothering him out in the streets too?

“Good, because really, I just want something that you’re going to give me.” Colben grinned. “You got paid today, I know you did. So just hand it over and we’ll go our separate ways.” He shrugged, as if this was no big deal.

Toby stared at him in astonishment that he would make such a bold demand. “What? No way. You can’t do that..” He frowned, backing away. But his back was to the wall and he couldn’t go any further.

“Sure I can. I’m bigger than you, and stronger, and if you don’t give it willingly, I’ll just take it. So why not make it easy on yourself?” Colben suggested, moving so that he blocked Toby’s escape no matter which way he tried to go.

Toby shook his head slightly. “No.. please. My family needs this money.” He tried to reason with the guy.

Colben merely laughed. “What family? You don’t have a family.” He scoffed. “Your mother’s dead, your father deserted you…probably didn’t want some pathetic wimp for a son. And then your brother ran away too, probably for the same reason… Awww, sorry, was that a touchy subject?” He asked in mock apology. “Are you going to cry now, baby Tobe?” He smirked and then grabbed Tobe by the front of his tunic and pushed his back against the wall. “Hand over the coins, or I'll have to get rough. You wouldn't like that, would you?”

“Don’t…” Toby cringed slightly, struggling not to show how upset those words made him. “Don’t talk about my brother like that…”

“Or what? You’ll run and tell your granny? Or maybe you'll hit me?” He laughed, raising an eyebrow, then leaned in a little closer, smirking. “Girls hit harder than you do, Tobedir.” He sneered at him.

“He didn’t run away.. he just.. he’s..”

“He’s what?” Colben scoffed, rolling his eyes. “Face it, Crybaby, your brother didn’t stick around because he got sick of you embarrassing him all the time.”

Toby closed his eyes, as if that would shut out the hurtful words. “He’ll come back someday.” He protested quietly. “He will, I know he will. And when he does.. he won’t let you get away with this sort of thing anymore.”

“Oh, sure,” Colben laughed, prying the coin pouch from Toby’s pocket while he had the smaller, slightly younger boy pinned against the wall. “I’m shaking in my boots…” Colben then rolled his eyes. “You’re stupid if you believe that. He doesn’t care about you, and I can’t say I blame him. I’d want to run away, too, if I was your brother. Just admit it, he’s never coming back-”

“Actually, he is back.” A new voice spoke up, suddenly. The anger in his tone was unmistakable, and both Tobedir and Colben were startled.

Staring past Colben, Toby’s eyes widened in astonishment as his jaw dropped slightly.

Trevadir Thôrmaetha
In the alley across from 'Wood Works'

The day had started like any other. Trev had spent it trying one place after another, hoping to get himself a steady job which wouldn't put him in too much risk of running into certain people he wasn't ready to run into yet. But he had been unsuccessful, yet again. And then, as he was taking a shortcut through an alley in the hopes of avoiding being seen… while hoping he might catch a glimpse of his little brother leaving Addhor’s shop. He'd been in town a couple of months but still couldn't bring himself to go and speak to Tobedir, as much as he wanted to. As hard as it had been to make peace with Nal, he feared it would be twice as hard, repairing things with Toby. The brothers had never really been close, mostly due to Trev not wanting to be close with the younger boy who had annoyed him back then. Now, he wanted nothing more than to build a relationship with his brother, but he didn't know how to make the first step.

The sound of voices had been the first thing to alert him to the fact the alley wasn’t empty, so Trev had slowed his steps, moving stealthily toward the pair of teens so he might find out what was going on. One was obviously bigger than the other, yet it appeared they were around the same age. But, it didn’t take a scholar to see what was going on, and the realization alone brought his blood to a boil. Then, to realize that the smaller boy was his own little brother... Trev's temper flared up twice as hot.

As Trev moved briskly closer, close enough to hear the words said between them, he stopped abruptly, feeling rather stunned to hear the bully bringing up the stuff about himself and his father, how they had both left, and using it as a verbal weapon to inflict pain on his victim. A pang of guilt mingled with the anger, but he was also surprised and confused how the guy could know about those things. Probably the same way 'Rip' had found out things of a similar sort, to taunt Trev and his friends. Trev's frown deepened as he hesitated in the background for a moment, reminded that Toby probably had a lot of resentment toward him for abandoning him. But when he heard the bully telling Toby a pack of lies about how Trev didn’t care about his brother... and that he was never coming back... his temper swelled once again. The anguish was clear in Toby’s voice as he replied, and the sound of it wrung Trev’s heart. Worse still for Trev was the painful similarity between Toby, apparently desperately clinging to the hope that Trev would return… and the memory of how young Trevadir had once said those same things, with that same hope, about his father returning. If that wasn’t bad enough, he then witnessed the bully actually take something from Toby.

That did it.

“Actually, he is back.” Trev retorted, without even thinking about future consequences, or the fact that he had planned on waiting until he had a proper job before announcing to his family anything about his return. Whatever. Toby needed his brother now, not a few weeks or months from now when he had a satisfactory job.

Grabbing the startled Colben by the shoulder, Trev yanked the bigger boy away from Toby, flinging him into the opposite wall with such force that he heard the ‘ooph’ from the impact, and saw Colben wince as his shoulder banged against the wall. Trev was inwardly pleased to see that, though he stopped himself short from delivering any actual blows to the young man. Instead, he stepped closer in the most intimidating fashion he could muster, and grabbed the other guy's tunic the same way he’d done to Toby, moments ago. “You… Don’t ever mess with my brother again.” He warned him in a dangerous growl, deciding to refrain from doing anything further… this time. With his other hand, Trev snatched the pouch of coins back from Colben’s hand. “Now get out of here... before I decide to get rough.” Turning away from the wall, Trev shoved the boy away from him, and toward the opening in the alley, giving him a look that just dared him to try anything more.

Colben glanced from Trev to Toby, expression darkening as he seemed to weigh his odds and decided he was outmatched now. “So, now you’ll hide behind your big brother, I guess.” He scowled at Toby. “Well, he won’t always be around to save you…” He smiled as he left that comment hanging in the air as a warning, then he turned and left the alley swiftly.

"Trev!"

Trevadir had hardly turned around before he felt the breath knocked out of him by a forceful impact.. but it was not an attack.

Toby had rushed forward along with the exclamation, throwing his arms around Trev, and nearly knocked Trev down with the force of his hug, grinning ear to ear. “I knew you’d come back!”
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steward of Gondor
(private)
|
Tobedir & Trevadir Thôrmaetha
In the alley across from 'Wood Works'
September 1st
(shortly before the Joust in Lond Col)
The Unexpected Reunion (part 2)

Stumbling back a step from the force of Toby's hug, Trev hesitated briefly, more than surprised by Toby’s reaction. After a moment, he slowly smiled, wrapping his arms around Tobedir, and hugged him just as tight. “I’m.. sorry it took me so long…” He whispered, fighting past a lump in his throat. Closing his eyes, Trev took a moment to relish this moment, relieved Toby seemed glad to see him, rather than angry. To think, he had put this off so long, fearful that Toby would react angrily, and as it turns out, Toby just wanted him back.

“You got my letter, didn’t you?” Toby asked, stepping back after a moment, a huge smile on his face. "That's why you came back, right?"

“Letter?” Trev frowned, confused. “No... what letter?”

The smile faded. “In the tree... You didn’t get it?” Toby looked a little disappointed, but shrugged. “Well, I guess it doesn’t matter. You’re here now. You’re... here to stay, right?” He asked, suddenly anxious about that.

“Yeah, for sure.” Trev smiled, though still puzzled about the letter. “But..” He added quickly, “I.. I haven’t figured out how to tell Grandma yet, so.. please, don’t spoil it?”

Toby hesitated and frowned. "Why don't we just tell her, now?" He asked.

"I..." Trev hesitated. "I just want to find the best time, is all. Please, promise you won't say anything to her?"

Toby frowned, but nodded. “Sure, I promise. But don’t wait too long, please. She’s missed you so much, I just know she'll be thrilled to have you home again. We both missed you so much... I can't believe you're really back!” He added with a joyful little laugh. It seemed he couldn’t stop smiling.

Trev nodded slightly with a faint smile, then glanced down at the pouch in his hand, and held it out to Toby. “So... that guy? What’s that about?” He raised an eyebrow, as he bent down to pick up one of the books Toby had dropped.

That managed to wipe the smile away. Toby looked down, sighing. “Nothing. He’s just.. bigger and tougher than me. And.. well, most everyone else at school.” He shrugged.

Trev frowned, taking a long look at Toby. "So what? I've fought against guys much bigger and stronger than me, and won." he shrugged.

"You have?" Toby looked a little intrigued but shook his head. "Still.. it's.. difficult to explain." He sighed.

"So.. you just let him push you around? How long's this been going on?"

"Um. Ever since Colben's family moved here. Right after the war." Toby shrugged again, picking up the rest of the books.

Trev's frown deepened, taking a moment to consider this. "Well, it going to stop. Now." He declared.

"I knew you'd help me! How?" Toby's smile returned, looking in wonder at Trev. "What're you going to do?"

"Me?" Trev raised an eyebrow and shook his head. "You're going to put a stop to it, Toby. You're really the only one who can." He answered.

Toby looked puzzled, his excitement fading to a frown. "Me? How?"

"Simple." Trev shrugged. "Next time he starts something, you just stand up to him. Defend yourself. Show him you're not scared, and that he can't intimidate you anymore. He'll learn pretty quickly to leave you alone, once you stop making it so easy for him to harass you."

Toby blinked. This was not the solution he had anticipated, nor hoped for. "But... uh. Trev," He frowned. "He does intimidate me, like, a lot."

Rolling his eyes, Trev shook his head. "That's because you've let him do it so long, it's instinctual to be afraid and back away. Trust me, Tobe, once you stand up to him the first time, it'll be easier the next time. And besides, someone like that?" He motioned back toward where Colben had gone, with a thumb over his shoulder, "Once he sees that you're going to put up a fight, he'll back off and leave you alone. I saw the look on his face when I showed up. He was scared. He didn't want to mess with me. He didn't want a fight, he wanted someone to push around."

"But there's a problem with that, Trev." Toby frowned. "I don't know how to fight."

Trev blinked, realizing, of course, that was true. Toby had been awfully young back when Ryn was teaching Trev what he knew. "Well, you will." He answered. "I'm going to teach you." he decided, enjoying the surprised expression on his little brother's face. He smiled. "For right now though," he changed the topic, "are you hungry? I haven't had supper... and, well, I figure... we have a lot to talk about. So.."

"Yeah!" Toby answered eagerly. "I'm starving!"

"Me too." Trev grinned. "Come on, I'll buy." Trev insisted, figuring Toby's money was meant for helping out with things at home. Trev had enough to spare for this. And with that, the brothers set off together toward a diner not far away, where they could sit down and have a meal together while catching up on all the goings-on with each other's lives.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Addhor Raxëlilta
at ‘Nell’s Breads and Pastries’ Bakery, with Nell
@Isolde Alarion

The getting to know one another better had subtly begun before they ever had come to the proposed time and .. date. For in the space of a simple conversation, they had already met the subject of his craft with hers, even while evidence of both stood at hand. What of all that she could create would he consider his favourite though ? A question near difficult for Addhor to answer. As well as the easiest thing in all the world. For already it was just .. them ..

The bread that you make, is my very favourite,” he assured Nell. And it was no lie, despite the man having never put much thought unto his preference in terms of food before now. It was not so much the taste or the texture of the loaf, but more so where it had come from. ‘Nell bread’. Simply knowing that she had dedicated her time and effort into creating it, mattered far more than considerations over even how long it might last, or how well it satiated appetite to manage a full day’s work.

I have managed to survive the like of rye loaves, far less fair than those of your creation,” he promised, with good humour. “And ‘stood’ for it with far more relish than for the ‘horse-bread’ of days past,” he glanced down, not ashamed to admit it, but to shield her from facing him, if the baker were shocked by such an honest response. For ‘horse-bread’ was termed so, by anyone unfortunate enough to have depended on it, because it was widely considered as fit only for consumption by horses. But when grain was sparse, anything or everything that could be found and managed as a more affordable substitute .. was. There was nothing at all she could bake or bring which he would take aversion to, and this was the least of the embarassing ways he could think to explain it.

The thought of visiting a bakery was something that we only dreamed of, when I was growing up,Addhor confessed. “It is not something I am ashamed of. For that sort of raising leaves an impact which is more good than bad. The knowing, how to get by if ever I am forced again to go without what others might consider an essential.

Now that circumstances are improved, I dream of visiting a bakery for an entirely different reason,” he smiled, glancing at that very reason, whether she would realise it or not. “And there are things which I find I do not want to do without. People, who I would count as .. essential.” Brown eyes found that he was still holding Nell’s hand, and the fact of how natural and pleasant it felt, made him idly wonder how he might prolong the contact, and the warmth it offered.

So. I promise,” he cleared his throat, albeit softly. And endeavoured to justify having this moment, just them, just talking, just being in each other’s company, last for so long as it was managing to. “You shall not be served the likes of nettle soup and acorns for your dinner on Saturday,” he vowed, suddenly serious, although the gleam in his eye suggested he was poking amusement at himself. “Even if your own contribution leaves mine looking that much poorer by comparison. You are the most important ingredient to make the evening worth my attending.

Stars, did he just say that ? Why, it was his own house they were to be attending ! If he could have groaned aloud at his stupidity, Addhor would have done. But it was impossible to emit any sort of displeasure right now. Because she was here, and that smile, those eyes, it was easy to forget ever having been unhappy, except in the thought that he would have to leave at some point. Her acceptance though would allow for him to leave this time with a smile. And anticipation of the next.

Addhor Raxëlilta
‘Wood Works’ Store. Meeting with Tobedir
Noon. The day after Erulaitalë. With @Rillewen

It was typical to clean up at the end of the day, not halfway through. And yet, Addhor had purposely spent the morning about a small enough project which would be done with before noon. Because the afternoon was otherwise accounted for. It might also have been typical for the expected apprentice to be the one concerned with appearances, on their first day. But the carpenter was proud of his small space and the tools which managed his world now. Introducing their potential to a young man who held possibly potential himself .. meant that he was keen to present them, and the relevant environment, in the very best light of incentive. Also, picking up and putting things away was a productive means of keeping his hands busy, although still have himself be ready, as the expected hour drew close.

The other hands, those constructed of wood, awarded Tobedir a round of silent greeting from their showcase, when the boy found his way inside. And Addhor smiled at the distant chime of bells, his back still to Toby, as he noted the exactness of the hour. Honestly, he might have arrived a little early, were he in the boy’s position, but then he had half begun to wonder if that same boy would change his mind about the entire enterprise. Based on the odd behaviour demonstrated yesterday.

Straightening up from the cupboard he had been about, the man found his student .. flush faced and holding out a dagger in his hand. Brown eyes rose from scrutinising the weapon to scrutinise the expression on the stammering youth instead. But all and any explanations which were offered, did not explain the matter at all. Perhaps because the question which Addhor could not find it in himself to demand, was raced to fruition by a question from the boy. And the subject was all so wide of the mark from what he had been expecting, he was not sure how to respond and so did not at first. The odd behaviour yesterday was apparently not going to be the last of it.

Tobedir was thus allowed to persevere along his diversion on the subject of Cali, with only a watchful silence to contemplate him in the meantime. Almost as though the man was waiting on a punchline, which would make this all come to some sense. Addhor knew who Cali was, of course. He may not have been brilliantly attentive during his son’s childhood, but he would have had to be outright dead to miss the names of Unalmis’s frequent co-conspirators. Particularly since the two young people were still friends today. His son had openly mentioned hoping to see the young woman at the festival the day before. So the expression which might have betrayed how taken aback he was, was rather more to do with how Tobedir would recognise the Dringolben smithy mark. For the carpenter was, of course, unaware of Toby’s prior association with Cali’s nephew, Iuldir.

You are not late,” the tradesman managed to reply, at length. “Cali works up on the Sixth,” he then admitted. “Do you want to run up and take it to her ?” he guessed.

The boy was unlikely to have thieved it, he had concluded quickly. Ullothel did not raise criminals. And the boy was certainly not making any secret over the fact of his having it. Addhor could imagine the likes of a younger Unalmis being equally unable to pass by without picking up a random weapon if he saw one unattended. Particularly at Toby’s age. And Tobedir was not demonstrating any want to keep it for himself. If anything, he seemed needlessly keen to return the item to it’s rightful owner.

Either the boy believed that the exciting discovery ought take precedence over the responsibilities that he had agreed to come here and trial, or he was exercising his right of alibi, to explain why he had turned up, redfaced, and upon the very minute, not a moment before, he was due. Either way, he was basically asking for permission to delay what they had intended and planned to do. The carpenter considered the youth with a patience born of all too much practice. This was not exactly what he had expected to be their first topic of conversation today, but learning of the boy’s process of thought might not be an entire waste of time.

May I ask though, where did you find it ?” the man asked as he thought on it, and as he was suddenly fairly certain this rather important piece of the puzzle had not been provided yet. It might make a lot of difference. To a great many considerations.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Tobedir Thôrmaetha
Wood Works shop
Around noon - the day after Erulaitalë

Upon hearing that Cali worked up in the sixth level, Tobedir was not only surprised, but disappointed. He knew she had come back to the city, but he hadn't known anything beyond that. What would she be doing up on the sixth? He'd visited Iuldir a few times over the last few years, and had written back and forth frequently. He was one of the few people who knew that Cali had been teaching Iuldir how to make stuff at the forge, at Iuldir's home. So, he couldn't think of any sort of job Cali would be happy with up on the sixth level. All they had up there was the houses of healing, and the rangers, and the funeral stuff with Iole's family. And he knew she wasn't likely to join up with the rangers. Would she be working with her mother at the houses of healing? He found that a bit unlikely, and the funeral parlor seemed even more unlikely, so... he was confused.

"Oh." He replied, unable to keep the disappointment out of his voice, then shook his head when asked if he would like to run the dagger up to her. "No, sir," He answered, then looked down shyly. "I can't.. I don't know the passwords up that high." He explained quietly. Not to mention that he figured the guards at the gates for the upper levels were sure not to let some kid with a dagger go through. They'd take it from him, and then his whole purpose in going up there would be moot. So maybe he should just try to find her later? Or, he could try to watch for Unalmis, and see if he could get Cali, and.. but that could be hours or even days before he saw his brother's friend again. Although, maybe Addhor would know how to contact him? But, he wasn't sure whether he should ask.

He stared down at the dagger uncertainly, rather puzzled about what to do with it now. As the former ranger then asked him where he'd found the dagger, Toby looked up again, hesitating. "In a tree." He paused, a little reluctant to go into any further explanation, but then decided that maybe he should just tell him. "You know, the big oak out in the Pelennor? We could see it from where we were working on the puppet stage yesterday," He reminded the man, in case he'd forgotten or hadn't noticed the tree. "There's this hole up sorta high in it, like a squirrel might use for a nest, you know? And.. I was in the tree just now, before I came here." He shifted slightly. "I..I'm there almost every day." He admitted, a little awkward about it, and looked down as he realized he might need to offer some better explanation. "My brother used to use that hole in the tree for..leaving messages between him and the others," He explained quietly. "So I thought.. maybe if he ever comes there, he might.. I don't know." He sighed and returned to the subject of the dagger. "So, that's where I found it." He looked up again, the blush renewing as he remembered who he was talking to. "This wasn't there yesterday morning," he added with absolute certainty. "I was going to ask Cali if she knows anything about it, like who it belongs to, and all that. But... since I can't go where she is, what should I do with it?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Addhor Raxëlilta
‘Wood Works’ Store. Meeting with Tobedir
Noon. The day after Erulaitalë. @Rillewen

His answer had clearly delivered disappointment to the boy, and Addhor watched in silence as Tobedir explored the obvious, the legal, means of still accomplishing his goal, before coming to an apparent loss how to proceed otherwise. To say the lad was giving up too easily was far from true however. There was clearly something of a process going on between those ears. Toby simply wasn’t sharing it, until he perhaps had a viable option which might work. Other certain young men, who were even older than this one in years, might have headed out and only considered each obstacle as they encountered it. This one, .. he seemed to be thinking ahead. He was not disregarding the matter. The knock back of what he could manage in this situation was only challenging him, not dissuading him entirely. Even though perhaps it was not even that important in the grand scheme of things.

The carpenter thus did not further encourage either one of them seeking out the Sixth Circle. He was not so invested in the mysterious dagger that it would usurp his entire day, such a long walk, even if it had already robbed him of an apprentice’s attention. It was no way to conduct business, to simply run off at the hint of any and every distraction. It was surely not a matter of life and death either, but likely of simply a misplaced possession. And the weapon was not going to spoil if it was not reunited with it’s owner instantly. Unalmis came by for his dinner on a Tuesday evening, when he could not get out of it, or if he did not forget entirely that he was expected. So unless the young Ranger might come by unannounced before then, possible - perhaps even to collect the boots he had forgotten upon his father’s wagon just the day before – doubtful – then that was no resolution to either reaching the Sixth or the young woman who dwelt there any time soon.

The dagger could be most simply handed in to the City Guard, was Addhor’s next thought. Since if the weapon was lost, and the look of it was unique enough that it might indeed be missed, then the owner should reasonably go and report it to the local lawkeepers. It was only the trademan’s personal experience, or rather that of his best friend. And that of his younger brother. And that of his son … that were all hampering complete faith in the City Guard. He could not think of any other cause that he was hesitating else.

Until Tobedir revealed where he’d found the weapon in the first place. And it really did make all the difference. This was one of the occasions which the man would store to serve as example, the next time he wished to impress on Nal that it is worth sometimes pausing to gather enough information, before acting. Addhor’s brown eyes focused, not on the dagger but on the counter closest to him, as he eased into a seat and recounted the matter. That yesterday, the day of the Midsummer festival, he had watched a cloaked man leap out of the very tree which Toby was now describing. It could not be mistaken, not that tree. For all of the reason which the boy was currently extorting. At the time of course,, the former Ranger had brought the fact, of a man using a spy glass, to the attention of Ilisys, who had hastened off in pursuit across the field, almost as though she had half-expected such a random occurrence; and had never yet offered any explanation as to what it had all been about.

Stay here. Watch the store,” he suggested to Toby, as the only response he could yet provide to the boy's query. “I .. need to go across the street for a moment,” he declared, mere moments after. And moved to do so before he could stop to think better of it. A weapon like that, a mysterious stranger, all that nonsense which the Lady had no doubt thought she was making quite clear, just a week ago. Addhor could conclude only two things. That something was almost certainly going on and for the second time in as many days he had failed to ignore the signs when they presented. Neither was the recipe for that simple life he craved.

Convincing himself that this was not interfering, that this was but a worthy experiment, to see if he could trust Tobedir to be left alone in the store, surrounded by all the tools, unsupervised, .. Addhor took his way, in no observable haste or concern, across the cobbles to the as yet unopened shop called ‘Needful Things’. Isys had purchased that store. Isys had set somebody in the window to keep watch .. When his strong knock failed to raise any response, the man stepped back a few paces and squinted against the sun to check upward for a glimpse of the frequent silhouette who stalked the upstairs window. Nothing.

Withdrawing the key which his kinswoman had entrusted the man with, the former Ranger let himself quietly inside the building, and did not pull the door to a close behind him. For the interior was filled with cowering gloom, and the sunlight from the street was bare enough to keep him from tripping over .. who knew what might be there.

MEANWHILE …. Tessamy Korsey
entering ‘Wood Works’ store, and recognising Tobedir from school
@Rillewen

She should have been very contented to idle about this day, for there was no school scheduled. It was almost as though a further day of celebration, or perhaps, more wisely, a day given for folks to recover from the previous day’s festivities. Tess though had been set upon a plan, a highly anticipated plan, and thus far all was failing to live up to expectations.

It had started when her elder sister cancelled on taking Tess out shopping in the market. They were just a day off their mutual mother’s birthday, and the younger girl was still without a gift to offer up. Serenda Korsey had of course always told her daughters that just spending time with them was a gift in itself. But that was entirely the sorts of thing that mothers said. Tess counted herself by now quite old enough to see through such parent nonsense. She ought to have been old enough therefore to be responsible with her rag money. But she’d hidden it away from her nest of siblings, and so well hid was the prize now, that she could not recover it !

Running short on time, Sorrela, the eldest, had vowed to take Tess shopping and pay for a gift, if promises were made to pay her back later on. Alas though, that Sorrel had then been called into work, on a matter of such high urgency that she had refrained from giving any acceptable justification up to her little sister.

Left thus to her own devices, and in rather an urgent situation, Tess had concocted a plan. It had taken her just a moment once she saw Addhor come out of his shop, and cross the street. The girl's smile widened as she saw that the man had not locked his door behind him, before looking to unlock the one opposite. And that smile grew yet wider still, when she recognised the only person left inside the store. Flicking both her honeyed brown braids over a shoulder each, the fourteen year old strode confidently into 'Wood Works' and headed straight for the till upon the counter.

Only after sidling around to the tradesman's side of the affair, did the girl glance up, to acknowledge the young man. "My father half owns this place," she announced, proudly. "They let me borrow from the till all the time. So you can stop staring Tobeedee !" With a laugh and a shake of her head, Tess began to count out enough coins that she could use to buy a nice gift for her mother. "What are you doing here anyway ?" she glanced up, almost accusingly at her classmate.