Ithilien, Harondor, The Eastern Fiefdoms (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
(Private)
|

Aderic Androllius and Merilda
Late July (next day)
Lossarnach – Castle Ansellidus, guest chambers

Ric woke feeling much more rested, this time. He had no idea how much time had passed, but he’d felt so exhausted before that he had laid down again to nap. It seemed to be the next day, though he couldn’t tell. All he could be sure of was that it was now morning, and when he’d laid down, it had been evening.

Something had wakened him. A sound, he thought. Leaping out of bed, he ran a hand over his hair, glanced around, and then thought he heard someone in the next room. Anxious to speak with someone, he hurried into the sitting room. The door was open, but in the doorway stood two armed guards. Merilda, Alyssa’s personal handmaid, was carefully setting a tray on the table.

“Merilda!” Ric exclaimed, relieved to see a friendly face.

She jumped with a little gasp, then let out a shaky breath. “Lieutenant, you startled me,” She apologized, dropping her gaze.

“My apologies. What is going on?” he frowned at the guards blocking the doorway, but focused on the young maid. “What news can you tell me?” He asked, knowing how the girl normally liked to chatter and gossip. She would be an excellent source of information.

She glanced toward the guards with a mix of guilt and nervousness as she straightened, then dropped her gaze apologetically. “I’m sorry, sir... but, the master says you’re to remain here, no matter what.” She explained.

Ric let out a long, quiet sigh. “Yes. I.. got that impression.” He glanced past her again, but the guards didn’t seem to be protesting him speaking to the girl. He suspected that if he tried to move for the door, they would react. So, for now, he remained where he was, unwilling to provoke any violence that might cause harm to the maid.

“I’m supposed to clean your rooms, Lieutenant. Is that acceptable?” She asked tentatively.

Ric nodded slowly, feeling a bit concerned. She was not normally so anxious and timid, and he wondered what the reason for it might be. He sat down to eat while she went to tend to the other rooms. Glancing at the guards, Ric spoke to them. “Why am I being held prisoner?”

“Lord Ansellidus has given his orders.” One replied curtly. And he could get nothing else out of them.

Sighing in frustration, he finished his breakfast in silence and then went into the study, where Merilda was dusting. “Tell me, please, Merilda,” Ric spoke softly. “What’s going on out there? What's happened while I've been locked in here?”

She looked up hesitantly, brown eyes wide with worry. She glanced through the open door into the next room, as if checking if those guards were listening, and then kept her voice low as she spoke. “Lieutenant, I’m frightened.” She admitted. “He’s taken Lady Alyssa away, and I’m terribly worried for her. Made her pack up her things the very same day you came here. But she had nothing to do with it!” She was sure to add hastily. “She protested it quite a bit, you know..”

“I'm sure she did,” Ric assured her with a faint smile. Of course, Alyssa had protested. He hadn’t even suspected that she would have been involved in this, but it was nice to hear confirmation of the fact, regardless. “How long has it been since then?” Ric asked, feeling anxious to hear this news.

“Th-three days now.” Merilda answered, frowning. “He took the lady away, and gave strict orders to all the staff that you’re not to be let out no matter what. I thought..” She blinked back tears. “I thought I would be going with Lady Alyssa, but…” She sniffled and wiped her eyes quickly. “I’m sorry…”

“It’s alright.” Ric spoke gently. “I know, you care very much for her. As do I,” He added more quietly. He was rather worried, wondering where Mar might have taken her, and why. But he felt sure that couldn't be what had Merilda so nervous. “What then? What’s happened to make you so frightened?”

Merilda hesitated, glancing around again before stepping cautiously closer. “There’s been.. a lot of folks dying, all around the castle. Th-the gate guards, the gardeners, and several servants... and so many others." She gave a few names. "I don’t know why, and I’m so afraid.” She explained with wide eyes.

Ric caught his breath, alarmed by this news. He felt he should say something comforting to the young woman, but he could think of nothing to say. His thoughts were racing. Gate guards.. gardeners.. all of those she listed sounded like people whom he had become familiar with, from his previous visits. The thought was unsettling… “How are these deaths occurring?” He wondered, slowly taking a seat at the desk, feeling a bit stunned.

Merilda fidgeted, her hand idly toying with the feathers in her duster. “D-different ways, sir.” She listed a few incidents, and in each of them, Ric could practically see his brother behind it. As usual, there was nothing to prove he had actually done any of it, but his gut was telling him that this was being done with a purpose. But what purpose? He let out a sigh and dropped his face into his hands, elbows propped on the desk. If only he had a better idea of what Mar’s plans were... what he was trying to accomplish, what he had in mind... then perhaps Ric could manage to find some way to stop him.

“We have to get out of here,” He spoke at last, breaking a momentary silence.

Merilda was watching him, eyes wide. "How?" She whispered.

“You must help me, Merilda."

"Help you?" She bit her lip, looking back toward the door, as if fearing the guards would overhear. "But.. what if I get caught?"

"Please?” Ric asked, trying not to sound as desperate as he was feeling, but at the moment, she seemed like his only hope. "If you help me get out of here, I will help you escape, as well." He promised. "You can come with me, and I'll see that you get someplace safe, I promise."

“Oh, I believe you, but.. what could I do?” She asked softly, a little shaky.

Ric sat back, thinking for a moment, and looked around. “Rope..” he muttered. Getting up, he went to the window and looked out. Of course, it was very high. There was a sheer drop down to the ground, several stories high. Below, the ground was rocky and perilous. “If I had some rope, I could get out of here,” he glanced at her. “Could you get me some?”

Merilda bit her lip and glanced toward the door where the guards waited. They couldn’t hear them from in the study, but she looked nervous anyway. “I.. I don’t know. How would I even do that? They’d stop me, for sure.”

Ric tapped a finger thoughtfully on the windowsill, considering. “You bring the laundry, yes? Could you smuggle a length of rope in your basket, under all the linens?”

“Oh… I don’t know..” She frowned, trying to imagine that in her head. “I’m not even sure where I would get rope. And if I get caught trying to help you escape...”

"I know," he nodded. There was no need for her to explain what she believed would happen. Suppressing a sigh, Ric paced in front of the window. While it was frustrating, he realized she was right. She wouldn’t be able to get him anything like that. It would probably make her basket too heavy, too, if she tried to bring him enough to do anything with it. She'd have to get help carrying it, and then that would make someone suspicious.

“Look, I’m sorry, Lieutenant, but I have to go.” She whispered after a moment. “They’ll get upset if I take too long. But I’ll come back with your meal tonight.” She promised. "Maybe you'll have thought of something by then?" She added, hopefully. "I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do."

Ric nodded. “Yes, of course.” He didn’t want her to get into trouble, especially if there was a risk of being killed. “Go on. I’ll try to think of something.” He paused. “And, thank you, Merilda.” He added. She didn't know it, but he felt a little glimmer of hope, now that he knew she would be coming by each day. He knew that Alyssa considered her more like a best friend than a servant, and he also knew she could be trusted. He just hoped she wouldn't get in any trouble on account of him... "Stay safe." He added as the girl headed for the door.

After the maid had hurried off to tackle other tasks, Ric paced around, roaming from room to room. At least he had a few in which to pace. He shook his head in slight amazement at the thought that he and his brother had shared an attic for a bedroom, in their small home, growing up. Now, Mar had taken possession of an enormous castle in which even a guest could have a collection of rooms at his disposal. It was all far too big for Ric’s liking, to be honest. He’d rather have a small, cozy little cottage, personally, but he was also perfectly content with his little apartment in the city.

With a sinking feeling, he suddenly thought of his apartment. He wondered how long he might be trapped here. Would the rent he’d paid in advance run out while he was gone? What if he lost the apartment? While that was, honestly, the least of his worries, it would be quite upsetting to lose his home and the few belongings that remained there. Standing at the window, he gazed out as far as he could see. The only consolation in all of this, was that if Mar got caught doing any of his criminal activities, it would be Mar getting arrested, and he couldn't try to pin it on Ric no matter how hard he tried, since Ric was miles away, locked up and unable to go anywhere near the crime scene, even if he wanted to.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
(Private)
|

Aderic Androllius and Merilda
End of August
Lossarnach – Castle Ansellidus, guest chambers

“Good morning, sir. How’re you feeling today?” Merilda asked cheerily, coming in with a tray of breakfast. Sunlight streamed in through the windows, and it promised to be a lovely day. Too bad he couldn't go outside and enjoy it. At least Merilda was more like her usual self than she had been nearly a month ago. Though the many deaths had frightened her, she had gradually begun to relax when it stopped, and nothing had happened to her.

Ric forced a smile, having only recently woken up. “I’m alright, thank you Merilda. You needn’t worry; I don't think anything is broken.” He assured her, though he felt too sore to try and get out of bed for at least another day. Having tried to force his way past the guards at his doors a couple of days ago, he had quickly learned that it was not a good idea. Yet, he was getting desperate. Every plan he had come up with so far had failed. He had even tried to get Merilda to bring as many sheets and things as possible, a few at a time, so he could cut them into strips, and tie them together to form a rope. But Merilda couldn’t get him enough, because after a point someone began to notice the things going missing. She had become nervous that they might notice that she was bringing clean sheets into his rooms, and not taking any back out. So, his ‘rope’ only hung about halfway down the wall, and there was still far too much distance to even think about trying to jump the rest of the way down. He had stowed it under his bed for now, and had left it as it was. But he hadn’t yet figured out what to do with it. Perhaps it would be useful for some other plan he had yet to think of.

“And you needn’t call me ‘sir’, by the way.” He added.

“Well, it seems improper to use your name… and you said not to call you lieutenant anymore, although I’m not sure why. Do you not like being a lieutenant?” She wondered, glancing at him in puzzlement. "I thought you were pleased when you got the promotion..."

Ric sighed and remained silent for a moment, while Merilda looked at him curiously. “To be honest,” He began, hesitant, but decided that he might as well own up to the truth. “I am not a lieutenant anymore. Nor was I ever truly one, to begin with.” He admitted.

“What do you mean?” She tilted her head, even more puzzled by this.

Ric looked off at the wall, staring at nothing in particular as he found it difficult to speak of this. But, Merilda was really the only one to talk to, these days, and he found that he did sort of want to tell someone. “It was all a trick.” He said softly. “Ademar went behind my back, impersonated me with the captain of the guard, and bribed him to give me the position.” He explained, feeling very upset, betrayed, and confused by this. “I’m honestly not sure what about this is the worst part; that my brother would do such a thing.. or that the captain accepted the bribe and promoted me unjustly.” He sighed.

“Oh… that’s awful.” Merilda frowned to hear this. “I’m sorry. Lady Alyssa said you were very excited when you got the promotion. It must be awful now, knowing this…”

He nodded slightly. That was another thing. He had intended to tell Alyssa about this latest news, but he never had the chance before she was taken away, and he was locked up.

“Do you need anything else?” Merilda asked, looking at him sympathetically.

“Besides freedom… no, thank you.” He sat up slowly, trying not to wince as his ribs protested. The guards had their orders, alright.. not to kill him, but to stop him from escaping however was necessary. He let out a sigh, trying not to wince, and then smiled at the girl when she came over to helpfully tuck a pillow behind his back to help prop him up. “Thank you, Merilda.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t help more,” She looked down, her shoulders drooping lightly.

“I know, you’ve done all you can.” Ric sighed. He frowned as it occurred to him how trapped Alyssa must have felt for the past few years, and now understood her predicament more fully. If only he’d known more, he might have done more to help her. He felt frustrated and annoyed at himself for not having done anything of the sort. And now, she was taken somewhere far away, where he had no way of knowing where she might be. And he couldn’t help her. He wondered if she was frightened.

“You really ought not provoke the guards, in the future.” Merilda informed him. “I wouldn’t dare try what you did..”

“I had to try.” He answered, then sighed. “I am grateful for your company, even if it is only for a little while each day.” He added. “But I really need to get out of here. I must find my brother as soon as I can.” He scowled at his plate in frustration.

Merilda nodded as she took her time dusting the fireplace, looking thoughtful. “I sure am glad I don’t have a twin,” She decided.

Ric was mildly surprised by that statement, and realized that she must be thinking of how his twin was so horrible. He laughed faintly before wincing. “Not all twins are like this, you know.” He told her. “I knew another pair of twins, growing up.” He said with a touch of sadness. “A brother and sister. They were very close friends with each other. Almost inseparable. They..” He sighed. “they looked out for each other. I always wished I could be in their group of friends, but…” He trailed off.

“But what?” Merilda wondered, intrigued by the thought of two sets of twins in the same place.

“But Ademar made sure that didn’t happen.” He concluded.

“Oh. That’s too bad.” She paused to look around the room, finding nothing else to do for now. “Well… I suppose I’d better go now. But, would you like anything special for supper? I could talk to the cook, you know.” She offered. “Whenever Lady Alyssa was recovering from him putting her in the dungeon, I’d bring her her favorite meal.” She smiled. “And you should see the beautiful cakes and pies that the cook can make, if you ask.” She added, eyes gleaming with excitement. “For Alyssa’s last birthday, she had a lovely cake with layers of creamy stuff, and she let me have some.. it was sooo yummy..” She closed her eyes in happy remembrance of the dish. “Oh, and the cook also sometimes makes this wonderful thing…”

Ric smiled, shaking his head lightly as he let the girl ramble on for a moment about different foods that she had enjoyed. When he finally had a chance to speak again, he took the opportunity. “I’m fine with whatever is prepared.” He finally answered. “But, if you’d like something in particular,” He added, “feel free to claim that the request came from me.”

Merilda’s eyes widened slightly. “Oh, really?” She asked, surprised. “Thank you, sir!” She smiled happily. “I’ll see you tonight then.” She turned, then made an effort to tamp down her excitement before going past the guards at the door.

Ric smiled a little, wondering what she would bring in the evening, for it seemed to him that she was hoping for something specific. A favorite dish, certainly, but what might it be?

His ribs improved somewhat as he rested. There was little to do, so he slept a lot, dozing in and out. Eventually, he did get up and slowly walked to the big window in the study to watch the sunset, as had become a habit over the past month. He expected Merilda would be coming with his evening meal in a short while, so he figured he might as well sit in the lounge to eat, now that he felt a little better.

After the sun had sank below the horizon, and the shadows grew darker, he listened for the sounds that usually preceded the girl’s entrance. A brief exchange of voices at the door, the bolt being drawn back, and finally, the door softly creaking on its hinges as the guards opened it to allow her in. Ric moved a little slowly, but he came into the lounge to greet Merilda.

But the person who had come with his food was not Merilda. Ric stopped, frowning slightly to see an older woman who set the tray down with a frown and prepared to turn and leave immediately.

“Wait,” Ric pleaded. “Where is Merilda?” He asked, suddenly concerned.

She turned and frowned at him. “She’s gone. I’m taking over her place now.”

“Gone?” Ric felt his heart sinking with dread at the possible meaning of that. “What do you mean, gone?” he asked softly.

“I mean she’s gone away. That’s all I know. I’ve been told I’m to bring your meals and clean your room from now on. So you’d better not try anything,” She warned, suspicious.

He felt stunned, and hardly processed what the woman had just said. Gone? He slowly sank down onto the sofa. “Will she be back?” He wondered, puzzled and finding this very odd.

“How should I know?” The woman retorted. “All I know is, she’s not here anymore, and I have to do her job now.” She paused, looking at him thoughtfully. “You.. care for her, do you?” She speculated.

Ric looked up, realizing what she was guessing. “No.. of course not. Not like..that,” He assured her. But he was very worried. What could have happened between breakfast and supper? Was she alright? Had she been harmed? While he was definitely not interested in her in a romantic sense, he did care for the girl. In a friend type of way. He wondered if it would be far-fetched to say he thought of her like a sister. Having never had a sister, nor any siblings except for Mar, he wasn’t really sure how he would feel toward one. But, he had seen his classmates with their siblings. And he knew how Alyssa cared for her siblings. He decided that was probably the closest way of describing how he felt toward Merilda… not that he wanted to explain all of that to this woman. “She has been a good friend to me, that’s all.” He said softly. “We have spent much time talking, while she works,” He made sure to add, so it didn’t sound as if the girl had been slacking off. “It gets rather lonely, locked up in here with no one to talk to.” He explained with a faint smile, albeit a somewhat sad one.

“Well, sorry for both of us then.” She shrugged. “Leave your dishes by the door, and knock once, when you're done. The guards will see that they’re delivered back to the kitchen.” She told him, clearly having no intention of sticking around to wait. “I’ve got too much to do, to be standing around talking. I’ll return in the morning with your breakfast.” With that, she walked out briskly and the door was closed behind her.

Ric sat staring at the tray, feeling quite dismal about this change. Suddenly, it also occurred to him that he would have to hide his rope of fabric, because this new maid would probably find it and report it. She seemed like the sort to do something like that, he thought with a small frown. He sighed and stared at the tray for a moment, then stood and went to locate a better hiding spot for his rope. He suddenly didn’t have much of an appetite at the moment, thinking of various things which could have happened to Merilda… and feeling more helpless than ever.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
(Private)
|
Ademar Androllius(posing as 'Lord Ansellidus') and Merilda
End of August
Lossarnach – Castle Ansellidus, corridors of the castle
Shortly after Merilda left from Aderic

Merilda was quite excited as she hurried along the corridor, thinking of her favorite dish which Alyssa had once introduced her to. She wanted to tell the cook now what special request had been made for supper, so that if any specific ingredients were required, she could get them for her. Already, she was playing through in her head how she ought to pose her request, so that it wouldn’t be an outright lie, but would seem as if it had come from Aderic, rather than her. Then she turned around the corner, and gasped as she collided with someone. And not just anyone…

“Watch it,” Mar snapped, glaring at the stupid servant girl, shoving her out of his way.

“I..I’m sorry, m’lord,” She hastily backed off, eyes wide as she caught her balance after being shoved. “I’m so sorry.. really, I.. I didn’t expect you, m’lord, I beg your pard-”

He frowned at her. “Aren’t you supposed to be doing some chore or something?”

“I.. yes sir, I was.. I mean, I.. just came from-”

“Nevermind, just go.” He waved her off. “I’ve got better things to do,” He muttered, turning to continue down the hallway.

Merilda started to hurry on her way, but, against her better judgement, paused. “Uh…M’lord?” She asked, tentatively, biting her lip lightly as she watched him turn.

Mar, a little surprised by the girl’s boldness, stared at her in almost disbelief. “What now?” He asked, holding back a sigh.

Merilda cringed slightly, feeling sure she probably should have kept quiet, but it was too late now. She couldn’t exactly say ‘nevermind’ and go on her way… he’d be more annoyed by that, surely. “Well.. if I may ask… what news of Lady Alyssa?” She asked tentatively, hopeful for some news. “Is she alright? I miss her terribly.. and I worry about her...”

“Nevermind about Alyssa.” He retorted, scowling at her for having the nerve to ask about her. He recalled that she'd been Alyssa's personal handmaid. The two had been very close, so he decided to overlook it, this once. Still, he couldn't let her know she was off the hook that easily. He took a step closer to her, still frowning. Interestingly, he noted that she did not step back as he might have expected. But she looked very nervous, so that was some consolation. He had also recalled that this girl, Merilya? had been assigned to tend to his brother during his captivity... which meant she would know the most about his present condition. “Now, I have a question for you.” He told her. “What news of Aderic? How is he enjoying my.. hospitality?” He smiled in his usual unpleasant way.

Merilda hesitated, her hands fidgeting with the edge of her apron while she really just wanted to hurry off and get as far from this scary man as possible. Why did she have to stop him and ask questions? She should have known he wouldn’t answer her. But now, she must answer him, and it had better be satisfactory. “Oh, umm…” She cleared her throat lightly. “He’s.. not happy, m’lord.” She wasn’t entirely sure how to answer this. “I mean, he’s.. um, well, he doesn’t like being locked up. Naturally. He.. um, he tried to push his way out, the other day.” She admitted. “They beat him up…” She dropped her gaze, half expecting him to yell or even hit her if this news angered him, even though it wasn’t her doing.

“Nothing too serious, I trust?” He asked, narrowing his eyes.

“No, sir, he’s.. he’ll recover, I’m sure.. just sore ribs, a few bruises…”

“Good, nothing he can’t handle.” He spoke more to himself than to the girl, but then looked at her a bit more closely. Was it his imagination, or was she hiding something? He frowned. “Then, what are you so nervous about?”

“N-nothing, sir.” She dropped her gaze down, still fidgeting slightly. “I only feared..” She swallowed. “I thought you’d be angry, that’s all.”

Mar rolled his eyes. He knew quite well she was afraid of him, and he wasn’t opposed to it, either. He rather enjoyed having people fear him. He was about to turn and go on his way when the girl spoke up again, to his further surprise.

“And… well, he's very lonely..." Merilda ventured, trying to keep her voice from trembling, but wasn’t entirely successful. "More than anything, he’d like to talk to you, m’lord.” She took a deep breath and dared to glance up, nervously. “That’s all he wants, you know.. to talk to you.”

Mar smirked faintly. “Yes… I’m sure he would.” He knew good and well his brother wanted more than just to talk. He was about to tell her to go on her way when he thought of something. A new idea. Perhaps she could be useful to him. He paused, tilting his head at the girl as he considered this, and decided she might be just the right person to aid him. “Marilla, wasn’t it?” He asked, without giving her a chance to reply before he went on, “How would you like to help my brother?” He asked, already suspecting the answer.

Merilda looked up, a little alarmed but trying not to let that show. “H-help him, sir?” She wondered if he could possibly know about her efforts to help him, already.

“That’s what I said.”

“Yes, sir... but, h-how could I help him?” She wondered, slightly uneasy, and too nervous to dare correcting him about her name.

Mar smiled and motioned down the hall toward his study. “I’m in a hurry.. come with me and I’ll tell you what you can do to help him.” he took her arm and left her little choice but to come along. “And if you do your job well enough,” He added as an after-thought, “I may even let you join Alyssa after it’s all over…”

Steward of Gondor
(Private)

Lossarnach – Castle Ansellidus

Aderic Androllius
(escaping from the guest chambers)
End of December

The ground seemed a dizzying height below him, so he tried very hard not to look down as the frigid wind whistled around him. The stone felt icy to his fingertips as Ric gripped the ledge, using the last bit of strength that he felt he had, to pull himself onto it. This was… quite possibly the riskiest, most dangerous thing he’d ever done. But desperate times call for desperate measures, or so the saying goes. Once he had pulled himself onto the ledge, it was far easier to swing his legs over the balcony railing, and there collapsed onto the balcony, several yards below the one where he had been imprisoned. He’d been through obstacle courses and rigorous training, back when he joined the guards, of course. During his training, years ago. But this… this was a whole other level. Climbing a rope up to the top of a platform, where the only thing awaiting you at the bottom is a mud puddle and a scolding if you should slip… that was far different from climbing a knotted sheet cut into strips, with a sheer drop to the rocky cliffs hundreds of feet below. He hoped he had only imagined it, but he’d thought he heard a slight ripping sound as the fabric threatened to give way, just before he found the ledge.

The sheet-rope was only so long. He’d given up on it for several weeks, tucked it away in his dresser drawer, and layered folded clothing on top of it, in case the new maid should look in and see it. Until, at last, his desperation became strong enough for him to take it out and measure how long it would actually reach. Turns out, it was just about long enough to potentially descend two stories of the castle. But what then? He had a lot more than two to worry about. But, noticing the balcony just below his own, an idea had gradually begun to form. He spent a lot of time out on the balcony of the guest suite, trying to estimate whether he had enough length. And then, when he felt sure enough about that, he still hesitated. Worrying.. what if it wasn’t strong enough to support his weight? Did he really want to trust his entire weight to these thin strips of cloth, tied into knots at intervals? That was a really long fall, spelling out certain death, if it didn’t hold up. But in the end, he decided that he must try it. He couldn’t stay here in this prison forever! However comfortable it was, he needed to find his brother, and bring him in to face his crimes.

Finally, he had made it. After resting for a moment, Ric sat up and untied the end of the ‘rope’ from his waist. This went up to the balcony he had left, wrapped around the railing, and came down where the other end of the rope was tied to the first side, in a loop. So that, while descending, he’d had both sides of the rope, one secured to himself, the other secured to the rope itself. If he had slipped, the rope's loop would slide only as far as the nearest point where the sheets knotted together. He might’ve had a little way to fall, and a rather rough jerk when he reached the end of the rope, but at least it wouldn’t be as bad as if the rope end were unsecured. And this way, he could retrieve the entire rope once he had reached his destination. He did that now, loosening the ends of the rope from each other, and pulled one end so that the whole thing eventually lay coiled at his feet. He was relieved that the rope had held.

“Alright,” he muttered to himself, the only one he’d had to speak to for months now. "Now.. what?" He cautiously peeked in the windowed door of the balcony he had reached, and was relieved to find that it seemed to be an unused room. It was dark, anyway. The windowpanes were dirty, and he tried the knob to see if it was unlocked. Of course, it would be locked. He knew, from his own balcony, that it opened outward. So, there was no ‘kicking the door in’. And he wouldn’t have a clue how to pick a lock. So, what else could he do?

Hesitating, Ric studied the door for a moment, taking a deep breath. “Desperate measures,” He muttered to himself, then prepared himself. The windowpane closest to the doorknob was the one. He hated to have to do it, but… crash. His elbow smashed through the glass. He winced slightly at the noise. It sounded terribly loud to him, but he paused and waited for a moment to make sure that no one had heard it. Hopefully, if he was very lucky, this part of the castle was abandoned. He knew from Merilda that servants had been being killed off, bit by bit. All of those who knew about Ric, it seemed. This troubled him greatly. He wasn’t sure if those servants were being replaced, or if the castle was practically empty by now. But, even still, there were still a few who remained that did know of him. The guards who watched his door. The maid who came each day. Maybe the cook? He wasn’t sure about that one.

He had chosen the early evening, just after supper, to attempt this. The maid wouldn’t be back to his rooms until morning, which gave him all evening and night to find a way out of the castle. Once he felt sure that no one had heard the glass breaking, he cautiously reached in and winced as some of the jagged pieces of glass scratched his arm. But, he didn’t want to break more of the glass and risk drawing more attention to this room, so he endured it as well as he could. A moment later, he had the door open. Breathing out a soft sigh of relief, Ric withdrew his arm carefully, and stepped inside. It was dark, dusty, and covered in cobwebs. He carried the coiled-up sheet rope inside with him, and tucked it behind a couch. If he got caught, he would at least rather no one found out how he got out of his room. That way, if he had to, maybe he could try the same thing again, eventually. But if anyone found out how he’d escaped, and put him back in there, they might take away the sheets and blankets altogether. With winter in earnest, that would make the nights extremely uncomfortable.

Navigating carefully through the room, Ric winced slightly as he bumped into something, swiftly pivoting so as to catch the item.. a vase.. before it fell over. After carefully righting the vase on the small table, he stood still, breathing slowly for a few inhales and exhales. Then he proceeded on his way, and narrowly avoided stubbing his toe on the leg of a low table he could barely see. But, finally, he made it to the door without too much undue noise. ‘Please, please, please, be unlocked…’ He thought desperately. It was! He breathed out a silent sigh of relief, then cautiously peeked up and down the abandoned hallway. He brushed off his clothes, stepped out into the hall, and then hesitated. Which way?

Steward of Gondor
(Private)

Lossarnach – Castle Ansellidus

Aderic Androllius
(Posing as his brother... reluctantly)
End of December

Choosing a direction at random, Ric set off down the hallway, and hoped that the castle would be abandoned enough that he wouldn’t run into anyone. He had only gone a few yards down the corridor, however, when a voice came from behind him, causing Ric to nearly jumped out of his skin.

“My lord? What are you doing here?” The voice of a man sounded surprised.

Instinct would have had Ric immediately correct the man, and inform him that he was not the lord of the estate. But wisdom told him to play along, and so he held his breath as he turned slowly. His heart pounded as he looked at the man who was hurrying toward him from the other end of the hall. All the while, Ric was trying to recall if he had ever seen him before. What was his name? Did he know it? He realized he had better give an answer, or the man might begin to get suspicious. “Why do you think I would be here?” He asked slowly, as he tried to keep his voice from sounded too nervous.

“Forgive me, my lord, but.. I didn't mean it like that," the man hastily explained. "It's just.. I thought you had gone away, and were not expected to return for a very long while?” The man seemed somewhat confused.

Ric thought swiftly, trying to think of how Mar might react. He hardly knew anything about how his brother acted around those who were subject to him, however, and had to simply make a hasty guess. “Yes, I left," He confirmed with a small nod. "And.. then I returned, to get some of my things.” He faced the man, whose name he still did not know. He was certain that if he’d ever known it, he would have remembered. Ric tried to make sure to always remember people’s names. "Is this.. a problem for you?"

“Of course not, my lord.” The man bowed his head slightly in apology. “Is there any way in which I could be of assistance to you in this endeavor?” He asked, anxious.

Ric blinked back at him. It was unexpected how easily the man believed that he was his brother, and he even felt a little bad for deceiving him. But he did not think it wise to ‘fess up’ at this point. He hesitated slightly as he tried to overcome his surprise over the man’s offer to help. Thinking swiftly, the former guard lieutenant let out a slow breath, which may have seemed like a sigh to the other man. He thought the poor fellow looked nervous, and immediately felt bad. But he refrained from apologizing. “I’m on my way to my study, perhaps if you walk with me, you can fill me in on anything important I need to know about, that may have happened in my absence?” Ric suggested, making an effort to not keep his tone to its usual level of politeness.

“Certainly!” The man agreed, nodding to indicate that he should begin walking, then fell in step beside Ric.

Ric had somewhat hoped the other man might lead the way, so it made him a bit nervous when he was expected to lead the way. But he was relieved to find that they seemed to be heading in the right direction, though he noticed the man kept himself about one step behind Ric. At one crossway, the man began moving toward the right-hand branch as if anticipating that turn, so Ric smoothly followed the cue, trying to act as if he knew the way already. Thankfully, this guy did seem to know the way.

“So,” Ric prompted after a moment of walking, “anything I should know about?” He glanced toward the man, still trying to figure out who he might be.

At the prompting, the man began to speak about how the mines were doing while they walked, and briefly brought up some matters of discontent among the miners, though he almost immediately seemed to think better of it. After he swiftly apologized for bringing that matter up, he moved on to the topic of the profits from the mines, instead. Ric listened silently, trying to gain some sort of insight to the goings on here, and trying to get some sort of idea of how he ought to act in order to make the man believe he was Mar. He soon began to suspect that this man must be either some sort of steward who ran the day-to-day things of the Ansellidus estate, or perhaps a foreman of the mines, who reported to Lord Ansellidus on a regular basis. He was leaning toward the former option, however, due to some of the topics he brought up about the servants within the castle, and some of the issues he mentioned which had arisen in the village around the castle.

Ric frowned as he listened to all of this report, without interrupting. It was giving him a good idea of what sort of things were going on around here, at least, but it was a great deal more than he had expected to hear. And it was difficult for him to decide how Mar would react to any of this. It had only been in the last couple of years that Ric's eyes had been opened to the way his brother truly was. Ever before, Mar had always put on an act meant to confuse and convince Ric that he was different than he really was, and he still did not know everything. Ric had very little experience with the way Mar acted toward people when Ric was not there. All he had to go on, for this, was what Alyssa had told him, and the way the servants acted toward their lord. They acted.. afraid of him. And that troubled Ric.

After several corridors, they finally arrived at the study. The steward was tentatively explaining how much it would cost to invest in a few extra safety measures within the mine shafts, and trying to convince him that the cost was worthwhile, and how much more profit could be made, versus how much could be lost if a mine tunnel collapsed and workers were killed, and so forth. Ric took a seat behind the desk. Lacing his fingers together, he rested his elbows on the desk, with his chin on the interlaced fingers, and gazed thoughtfully at the steward fellow as he made his report. It sounded as if he had done this hundreds of times before. He was an older fellow. Not elderly, but at least old enough to be Ric’s father, if not a bit more.

As the man paused for a moment, Ric realized he was waiting for a reply of some sort. He found himself frowning, trying to sort through everything that had been said, and come up with some sort of response that would seem enough like his brother to not draw suspicion. But he had so little knowledge of this side of Mar, he really didn't know what to say. “You think it would bring more profit?” he asked at last, while his mind raced to think. How would Mar answer this guy?

He nodded a little hesitantly. "Yes, my lord, I believe it would increase.. in the long run. Morale would be higher if the miners feel safer to work, and therefore.. there will be more digging.. and more productivity."

"Then see to it." Ric answered, and hoped that was a good enough response, because honestly, Ric had gotten rather lost amid all the business talk. But safer work conditions for his subjects, and more profit as a result.. well, Mar surely couldn't protest to that, right? He knew nothing about mining, or about managing an estate, or any of that, and so he figured it wisest to simply trust in the steward's suggestion.

Thankfully, the answer seemed to satisfy the man. The man gave a small head bow. “Yes, m’lord.” He answered, looking marginally surprised, but also relieved. “Uh.. are you well, my lord? Do you need anything? Food? Drink?”

Ric hesitated again, wondering if he had messed up. Why else would the man have asked if he was well? "I'm fine," he answered slowly. "Although.. I am rather hungry?" He added as an afterthought. Mainly, he just wanted the guy to leave so he could search the office for any clues about Mar's whereabouts. But, he was rather hungry.

"Of course, I'll see to that personally." The steward assured him.

Ric nearly replied, ‘thank you’ but somehow, he felt that Mar would not. So, he did not, though he had to bite the inside of his lip lightly as he nodded. Once the steward had bowed and left the room, he concluded, in a whisper, "Thank you." Because he just couldn’t stand to not say it at all.

Once the steward was gone, Ric let out a little sigh of relief, then swiftly began to search through the papers on the desk. He went through the files in the desk drawer, through the papers on the desk, in the cabinets at the sides of the room.. everywhere he could think of. He even checked the desk for secret compartments, but there did not seem to be any. There must be something here. There must be! Some sort of clue to tell him where to find Mar, or perhaps some sort of evidence that could prove the sort of nefarious activities going on around here. It seemed obvious to him that servants were being killed off, simply for knowing about Ric's existence, and that was both upsetting, and highly unsettling. But how could he prove it? He hadn't seen anything happening. He had only Merilda's word for it.. and she was gone now.

Though the thought saddened him, it also spurred him to try harder to find something. He would find a way to get justice for those who had been murdered. For Merilda, who had become like a sister to him. There were so many crimes happening all around him.. all leading back to Mar. If he could just prove it.. but at the same time, he had to also find Mar, and prove to others that Mar was the guilty one, not Ric! He certainly didn't want to end up in the same predicament that had caused him to flee from Minas Tirith with such haste. But he needed to find something.. and fast. The steward would be back at any moment, and Ric had a feeling that if he learned that he was not his brother, he would not be so.. helpful.

And, furthermore.. Ric had not forgotten that he had until morning before the maid would return to bring his breakfast, and would then discover that he was not in his chambers. It was only a matter of time before he was caught, and he wanted to be well away from the castle by that time...