[Game] Tantalizing Trivia Quiz

Discussions in Middle-earth lore, language and books.
Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Chrysophylax Dives wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm The name I was looking for was Shagrat. In the appendix: "Shagrat brings Frodo’s cloak, mail-shirt, and sword to Barad-dur." But I was just reading this part of the story again and discovered Frodo giving Sting to Sam after they have escaped from the tower!
So I don't know quite what the deal is here, but my question was problematic and you got the passage i had in mind - so the floor is yours. :)
Not an answer to the current trivia question. Apologies if this is out of place, just want to briefly go back to Chrysophylax's question about Frodo's sword.

The Appendix causes confusion, but technically you could say it's accurate. Since Sam believed Frodo was dead and switches blades: "If I'm to go on," he said, "then I must take your sword, by your leave Mr. Frodo, but I'll put this one to lie by you as it lay by the old king in the barrow.." (The Choices of Master Samwise)

Then when Sam rescues Frodo in the tower, Frodo tells Sam to keep Sting and the orcs took the barrow-blade, but Frodo doesn't need one because he says he will never wield a blade again. When The Mouth gives the "tokens" that Shagrat brought: "he held up first the short sword that Sam had carried" (The Black Gate Opens).
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Istari Sage
Clarifying question, @Nemroth when you say "spared surface" do you mean "spared" as in said item (surface) was "saved" or "rescued"?

Newborn of Lothlorien
Very interesting, @Boromir88. So it was Frodo’s ‘sword’ but not Sting!

@Romeran, the surface was spared the damage that its surroundings suffered, if that helps.

Khazad Elder
Nemroth wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:32 pm Alright, here goes - Question: Who hurriedly scratched a spared surface?
Gandalf?
'I wonder,' said Strider, looking round thoughtfully. 'Even if he was a day or two behind us at Bree, he could have arrived here first. He can ride very swiftly when need presses.' Suddenly he stooped and looked at the stone on the top of the cairn; it was flatter than the others, and whiter, as if it had escaped the fire. He picked it up and examined it.... 'This has been handled recently,' he said. 'What do you think of these marks?'
On the flat under-side Frodo saw some scratches: Image...
'I should say,' answered Strider, 'that they stood for G3, and were a sign that Gandalf was here on October the third: that is three days ago now. It would also show that he was in a hurry and danger was at hand, so that he had no time or did not dare to write anything longer or plainer. If that is so, we must be wary.'
A Knife In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Newborn of Lothlorien
You got it, @Drifa! Ask away.

Khazad Elder
Hi Nemroth! Thanks! Welcome back! :smile: I remember you from Drill and the Riddle Threads back in the day, where you stumped me good. :lol:
Mordor Riddles of the Eye XXXV 12/1/2005 12:23:55 PM
Drifa: Your guess is not the answer I seek, hence not correct, sorry. I like it though, in that sense that it is very abstract and intelligent of you to think of it. As for your own riddle, is it Röac, son of Carc, and his people, the great ravens?
Khazad-dûm ~Riddles In The Dark~ 12/1/2005 10:58:21 AM
Drifa: I’m afraid that guess is incorrect as well. It differs with the third line. I don’t think there was a second Fellowship. And remember that this thing has been made at least twice. The second time was unnecessary, yet still required.
It is good to see you again.

Question: What was unveiled due to sinking, deepening and gathering? And by whom?

Newborn of Lothlorien
Thanks @Drifa and ditto! Fond memories indeed. Given time I’d like to look back at some Drill, Riddle and Debate threads of yesteryear where I’ll be sure to run into you as well!

As to your current conundrum, is it the silver lamps of the Galadhrim?

From The Mirror of Galadriel, The Fellowship of the Ring.
The sun was sinking behind the mountains, and the shadows were deepening in the woods, when they went on again. Their paths now went into thickets where the dusk had already gathered. Night came beneath the trees as they walked, and the Elves uncovered their silver lamps.

Khazad Elder
:smooch: Right you are, @Nemroth ! Your up!

Newborn of Lothlorien
Thanks! I don’t have the books with me right now so this next question is off the top of my head and might have more than one correct answer.

Question: Who bore the same name as his father?

That is a little tricky @Nemroth, because while Tolkien recycles a lot of names, I don’t think there’s too many seniors and juniors.

The first one that popped into my mind (and curious to know if it’s the same you had in mind) is the Cottons. There is Tolman Cotton “Tom the Elder” and his son Tolman “Tom the Younger” (Return of the King: The Scouring of the Shire)
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Newborn of Lothlorien
As I suspected, @Boromir88, clearly there is more than one correct answer since yours fits equally well. I was in fact thinking of Fëanor (Curufinwë) and Curufin (shortened version of the same). Floor’s yours!

Thank you @Nemroth. I always forget about Feanor’s other name. Still it was a tantalizing question because out of all the names that get reused, there usually is a couple generations gap between them. Like all those Durins and Thorins. :lol:

Question: At 62 he thought he was fit for anything, but too young he was to go on that quest. Who is he?
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Newborn of Lothlorien
Taking your Dwarf hint, @Boromir88, my answer is Gimli, son of Glóin (The Quest of Erebor, Unfinished Tales).

You got it @Nemroth! I was yesterday years old when I found that tidbit in UT: The Quest of Erebor. Gimli talking to Gandalf from a draft:

"I knew Thorin, of course; and I wish I had been there, but I was away at the time of your first visit to us. And I was not allowed to go on the quest: too young, they said, though at sixty-two I thought myself fit for anything."
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Newborn of Lothlorien
Thanks, @Boromir88!

Question: Whose gift was to support heavy labours and cares?

Newborn of Lothlorien
Very quiet in here suddenly… Hint: This elf loved boats!

Guardian of the Golden Wood
The quiet comes and goes here; the sense of business of late is perhaps the exception rather than the norm.

Anyways, is this perhaps Cirdan the Shipwright, giving the Ring to Gandalf?
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Newborn of Lothlorien
Yes exactly right, @Chrysophylax Dives! From Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age in the Silmarillion. Your turn…

:) Thank you,@Nemroth.

Bilbo Baggins bowed to Beorn. What else did he bow to?

Istari Sage
Answer: the Elvenking, Thranduil

"The Elvenking looked at Bilbo with a new wonder.

"Bilbo Baggins!" he said. "You are more worthy to wear the armour of elf-princes than many that have looked more comely in it. But I wonder if Thorin Oakenshield will see it so. I have more knowledge of dwarves in general than you have perhaps. I advise you to remain with us, and here you shall be honoured and thrice welcome."

"Thank you very much I am sure," said Bilbo with a bow. "But I don't think I ought to leave my friends like this, after all we have gone through together. And I promised to wake old Bombur at midnight, too!"
(The Hobbit, A Thief in the Night, my emphasis)

Dang! I thought I covered all the bows. I had in mind another one, but will give you this.

Istari Sage
I found two more occasions, I had mostly expected a question form you to have come from The Hobbit so I didn't bother searching, but there are at least two other instances which I found in the Fellowhsip:

Bilbo bows to the door before he leaves:

'"Is everything ready?" asked Bilbo. "Everything packed and labelled?"
"Everything," they answered.
"Well, let's start then!" He stepped out of the front-door.
It was a fine night, and the black sky was dotted with stars. He looked up, sniffing the air. "What fun! What fun to be off again, off on the Road with dwarves! This is what I have really been longing for, for
years! Good-bye! ' he said, looking at his old home and bowing to the door. "Good-bye, Gandalf!"'
(FotR, A Long-expected Party, my emphasis)

Bilbo also bows to Lindar after reciting his verse

'"Now we had better have it again," said an Elf.
Bilbo got up and bowed. "I am flattered, Lindir," he said. "But it would be too tiring to repeat it all."'
(FotR, Many Meetings, me emphasis)

I wonder if either of those were the one you were searching for?

Question: Who was specially good at making fire?

Answer: Oin and Gloin? To this day they are the only ones I can recall being mentioned as being specially good at that skill.

Dwarves can make a fire almost anywhere out of almost anything, wind or no wind; but they could not do it that night, not even Oin and Gloin, who were specially good at it. (The Hobbit: Roast Mutton)
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Istari Sage
Correct @Boromir88. Floor is yours.

Thanks @Romeran.

Where was it that hills stood on both sides and men could hear the great, and an endless, voice of this calling them?
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Newborn of Lothlorien
The falls of Rauros?

From The Great River, Fellowship of the Ring:
’Behold Tol Brandir!’ said Aragorn, pointing south to the tall peak. ‘Upon the left stands Amon Lhaw, and upon the right is Amon Hen, the Hills of Hearing and of Sight. In the days of the great kings there were high seats upon them, and watch was kept there. But it is said that no foot of man or beast has ever been set upon Tol Brandir. Ere the shade of night falls we shall come to them. I hear the endless voice of Rauros calling.’

Yes, you’re up @Nemroth :smile:
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Newborn of Lothlorien
Thanks! Now for one of Tolkien’s pop-references which are unfortunately too few and far between…

Question: What would you need to reach the sun sailing and moon walking?

Khazad Elder
Wind under your wings?
"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun
sails and the moon walks," answered Gandalf, who knew the
correct reply. Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit

Newborn of Lothlorien
I was trying to set you up for ‘Wind beneath my wings’, but never mind. *sigh* :grin: Your go, @Drifa!

Khazad Elder
I first heard that song in the movie, Beaches, with the incomparable Bette Midler singing it. Thanks, Nemroth! :wink:

Question: Who saw a burning crown upon one's head for a moment?

Istari Sage
Hmm could it be Legolas seeing Aragorn:

"For a moment it seemed to the eyes of Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown." (The Riders of Rohan, The Two Towers, my emphasis)

Assuming here that "upon one's head" doesn't have to refer to the head of the person doing the seeing.

Khazad Elder
You are correct, Romeran!

Istari Sage
Thanks @Drifa

Question: who was deemed the greatest Elf-friend that there was then among Men?

Black Númenórean
Is it Anardil Aldarion?

"Then Meneldur broke the seal and read: Ereinion Gil-galad son of Fingon to Tar-Meneldur of the line of Eärendil, greetings: the Valar keep you and may no shadow fall upon the Isle of Kings. Long I have owed you thanks, for you have so many times sent to me your son Anardil Aldarion: the greatest Elf-friend that now is among Men, as I deem." (Aldarion and Erendis, Unfinished Tales)
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Istari Sage
Correct @Moriel over to you :thumbs:

Black Númenórean
Huzzah! Let's see then...

Question: Where in Beleriand did the sun never come?

Newborn of Imladris
Angband
“There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south,”.

Black Númenórean
Incorrect! And remember the to specify a book/chapter reference with your guesses! I forget sometimes too :googly:

Is the answer Nan Elmoth ?

'But now the trees of Nan Elmoth were the tallest and darkest in all Beleriand, and there the sun never came; and there Eöl dwelt, who was named the Dark Elf.

The Silmarillion, in the chapter 'Of Maeglin'. :tongue:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Black Númenórean
@Ercassie That's the one! Over to you :grin:

Thankyou @Moriel :grin:

Question: Whose trumpets were heard at the third hour of morning ?
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Istari Sage
Answer: Maedhros

"Then hope was renewed in the hearts of the Elves; and in that very time, at the third hour of morning, the trumpets of Maedhros were heard at last coming up from the east, and the banners of the sons of Fëanor assailed the enemy in the rear." (The Silmarillion, Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad)

The floor is yours @Romeran.

Istari Sage
Thanks @Ercassie

Question: what came galloping down the mountain side let loose by the morning sun?

Khazad Elder
Boulders?
Boulders, too, at times came galloping down the mountain-sides, let loose by midday sun upon the snow, and passed among them (which was
lucky), or over their heads (which was alarming). The Hobbit, Over Hill And Under Hill

Istari Sage
@Drifa :thumbs: over to you

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Romeran!

Question: What lay between the Mountains of Shadow and Mountains of Ash?

Istari Sage
Since it’s been a while I’ll answer

Answer: Udûn is the valley that lies at the meeting of Ered Lithui and Ered Dúath or the mountains of ash and shadow.

Source: the map in UT

Khazad Elder
Yep, I was looking for Gorgoroth, the plateau between the mountains, but, Udûn fits too. Udûn was originally the name of Melkor's first hide-out. :wink: Your up, @Romeran :thumbs: