Minas Tirith Streets and Levels (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
First Circle, out on a quest with Trastion

"Of course there are," she replied, mystified by the question. "We have the Minas Tirith Playhouse up on Fourth. But I'm not talking about acting for a play, little brother!" She shot him a grin before her expression turned calmer - and even a bit mysterious. "Given what we just did - can you not imagine such skills being useful on a mission, from time to time?" She shrugged, looking ahead. "Granted, it's not part of the... regular skillset. Pretending to be someone else, for the sake of a mission. I do not get to do it often. The last time was... about half a year ago?" She fixed a strand of her hair with some extra posh gestures. "When I pretended to be a noble lady from Dol Amroth looking to find the best cloth merchant in the White City. And ended up joining him, the Captain and Duinion on a trip where it appeared he had made some unwanted connections."

She gave Trastion a meaningful look. "Just saying."

When he assured her the bottle was unbroken and they still had what they'd come for in the first place, she nodded. Pleased. "Good, because that would have been a terrible way to end our quest. Now -" The chatter did not cease between them as they arrived to the main street and made their way to Maya's. From there, it would be onward to the Wayfarer's. And from there, on to the Sixth.

Quite the quest, indeed!

@Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Sixth Circle with Duinion
Urimë 15

"Oh." Arnyn grinned momentarily. "No, sorry, not another recruit. I meant to say Trastion. But do not be dissuaded," she reassured him with no small amount of amusement, "I'm sure he will be on his best behaviour later."

"As for the meals, I'll leave that up to you. No need to decide beforehand or inform me. I trust you will hold to your word."

Upon his further explanations about how he used to do things before his injury, the Lieutenant glanced back and forth between Duinion and their surroundings. Picking up on something she recognized as doubt at best and guilt at worst, Arnyn examined Duinion's demeanour more closely.
"I've learned we can't predict everything." For a moment, she wore a mocking smile, aimed at herself. "Try as I might. Sometimes, something unexpected simply happens. Luckily, we can take it in stride most of the time. In a small percentage of those instances, even, it's the good kind of unexpected. In another small amount of cases, however... we're faced with the bad. Orcs where there shouldn't be any. A troll of which we've had no reports. I think the only way to avoid something like that from happening, is to never do anything at all." Arnyn closed her eyes to turn her face into the sun. "Alas... or luckily - depending on how you want to look at it - that does not suit people like us."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tírdinen Duinion Raedor
Sixth Level - outside Ranger Headquarters with Arnyn
Urimë 15

Duinion gave a little laugh at the Lieutenant's comment about not being dissuaded. "Why, because he was so.. hyper?" He couldn't think of any better way to describe that. "I don't really mind so much. I just wonder, is he normally like that?" He asked, trying to imagine the young man being that energetic all the time. It would be like Hattie, as a human. He was a bit amused by the thought.

As Arnyn said that she would leave it up to him about the meals, he nodded, relieved. So that was resolved. And, while he had thought of a few things he wanted to discuss over the last week or so, just about everything had become void two days ago when Relic perished at last. So, really, the only matter he could think of was conducting a search of the area, in case of traps or other unpleasantries she may have left behind.

Before he had a chance to bring that up, however, she spoke, and her words caught him a little off guard. He considered the words, and gave a small nod in reply to her words. He held back a sigh, not wanting to delve into any further discussion about his failure. "Right," he put on a faint smile. "Well," he cleared his throat as he prepared to change the subject away from that topic, and toward that which he would rather discuss. "I had intended to ask about a few things.. concerning the sorceress, and precautions we might take against her... things like that. But, seeing how things stand now... I think it's no longer necessary." He shrugged.

"Was there anything else you wished to discuss right now, lieutenant? Because.. I'll admit, I can't stop worrying about whether that woman has left any other.. surprises behind. Perhaps in the barracks, or any other areas that have not been fully checked yet." He frowned, hesitating. "After finding that pin, I can't help feeling that she was responsible for it. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was laced with her particular brand of poison." He shrugged, unsure if he was worrying too much. "And with that thought in mind..." he sighed. "Well, I have a little while before I take Recruit Leithor out for training, so this would be an opportune time to check for such things."
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen
Sixth Circle with Duinion
Urimë 15

"He's usually... less like that," she smiled proudly, speaking about Trastion. "He's merely unused and sensitive to coffee, it seems." Her expression soon sobered again as she reminded herself of the work that still needed to be done, however. With some of her attention drifting away to the tasks the day still held, she listened to Duinion's words with one ear. Attentively enough to focus her full attention back on him if need be. But his words revolved around questions that were now moot, and him indicating exactly that. When he asked her if there was anything else she wanted to discuss, she held back a sigh. Thankfully not. With a faint smile, she shook her head.

What Duinion said next, happened to bring both of her metaphorical ears together again. After all, one of the things on her list for the day... was continuing the more thorough search for traps. Amused, she fluidly rose to her feet. "No other matters to discuss at present, no," she confirmed. The Lieutenant approached the Tirdinen and held out her arm. "Very well. Let's get to it, then."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Tírdinen Duinion Raedor
Sixth Level - outside Ranger Headquarters with Arnyn
Urimë 15

With nothing else left to discuss, Duinion was somewhat glad. This meeting had definitely gone much better than the one two weeks ago. He was feeling a little more optimistic about this. And more hopeful, that perhaps his first impression of the lieutenant was closer to reality, than his second impression.

When she agreed to embarking upon a search of the ranger areas, and then got up and held down a hand to him, Duinion was mildly surprised. He brushed the shredded bits of grass from his lap and accepted the hand up. It was, unfortunately, more difficult getting up than it would be under normal circumstances, and while he could have managed on his own, it was a bit easier with the help. And besides, it would seem rude to reject the offer.

Once upright, he reclaimed the crutch from its place against the tree, and nodded to the lieutenant. He honestly hoped they would not find anything, but he wouldn't feel comfortable until he had checked and knew for sure there weren't. So, he headed toward the barracks building along with the lieutenant, to satisfy that concern for the both of them.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
Cadil
3rd Circle. On the Eve of Erulaitalë
With Unalmis

@Ercassie

"I haven't been pub crawling and brawling for a while..." Cadil mumbled as he recognised that it has been almost the only excitement he had lately, except for any affairs where Nal ended up involving him in. "Sometimes I wish I could turn my folks into puppets rather than leave them anywhere at the show," he added regretfully, though laughter sparkled in his eyes, and he did not quite mean it in an evil way.

He managed to inspect the boots for a couple moments before returning, and then said: "What would I even do in the Rangers? I have grown wide and slow, and soft. The officers would run me ragged, no doubt, even up and down the stairs in the barracks." While Cadil was not wholly opposed to the idea, he did not quite like the thought of being subject to strict discipline even if it did some good for him. He doubted he would be given any slack, sleep-in mornings, or 'I don't wanna' options.

"Don't that foot need a plantain leaf wrapping or something?" he nodded towards the marks of wear Nal displayed right in front of his face. "I hear it is a very good option when nothing else is at hand."

However, he forgot any other idle comments as he watched his friend's face when he proceeded to drop a selection of reminders triggering a memory that Cadil was not too fond of remembering. "Pfff. That... Of course, I didn't tell anyone. Too embarrassing," he grumbled, cast a look towards the rooms and asked: "But what of it? What deal?" He was not keen on getting into any really serious trouble, but he would if it were necessary to assist Unalmis in some way or other.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan w Cali
Third Level
2 days after the Midsummer Event
@Rillewen

He was a little disappointed at her answer as he relaxed his stance abit, he was kinda looking forward to breaking the door down but her reasoning made sense. He watched and waited for a reply as she once more knocked on the door.
Hearing there might be a rolling pin or skillet on the other side of the door he looked down at her with a small half smile. “Wouldn’t want that.” Not that he hadn’t face either before but it would still be unpleasant.

His smile faded when she put her head down into her hands. His first instinct was to reach out to pull her close to comfort her. She was exhausted and frustrated and … was she going to cry?! Oh don’t cry..he couldn’t handle that.
His fingers flexed in anticipation of taking hold of her and he’d just started to reach for her when she lifted her head and suggested trying the back door.

His hands instantly went back to their previous positions. Nope. He couldn’t do it now. He cursed the lost opportunity.
He listened to her plan and nodded. “Maybe.” He tried to be supportive and followed behind her as they headed off to the back garden and door.

As they walked he looked around, mostly to redirect his thoughts, maybe he’d see some tracks or sign of a struggle but there were none. “I don’t see any evidence of a struggle this way, that’s good.” He offered as he continued to follow yet still scan the path.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Cali Dringolben
Third level
2 days after the Midsummer event

Feeling a little hopeful, (and trying not to feel desperate) Cali unlatched the small gate set in an arched trellis, which allowed access to the little garden at the back of the house. The plants were a bit overgrown, with plenty of weeds trying to take over, but it didn't look like it would take too much effort to restore the garden to its former glory. Mrs. Amaure must have enjoyed flowers very much, Cali thought with a faint smile. She tried to fight sleepiness as she ducked under some vines from an overgrown trailing plant that she didn't know the name of, and wondered what the garden would look like if it was better tended. The late morning sun beamed down on the garden, as if trying to lull her into a sense of safety. As if, without shadows and darkness all around, nothing dangerous could be lurking around. Not true, she knew. She shook her head slightly, trying to remain alert.

As they approached the back door, Mourgan's comment brought Cali back into focus a bit. She blinked and rubbed her eyes, glancing around. "Yeah.. you're right," She realized, feeling somewhat hopeful about that. No broken windows, no doors hanging open. Nothing even appeared disturbed. In fact, she nearly walked straight into a spiderweb that must have taken the spider all morning to build. Which was stretching right across the narrow path. "Sorry," She mumbled to the spider, as if it could hear her, and thought about what that must mean. "No one's been through here, at least." She declared, delicately transferring the strands from one side of the web to the same side of the path, while trying to keep the web at about the same level of tautness. That way the path would be clear, without destroying the spider's work. That would just be rude, after all.

As she proceeded along the path, Cali tried to remember if she'd tried the doorknob on the front door. She couldn't quite remember, and hesitated with a slight frown. "Did we check if the front door was locked?" She asked him, thinking she probably should have tried it to be sure. Having just thought of that, she did try the back door now. "This one's locked." She sighed, unsurprised, but at least now she knew. After trying their knock once again, and getting no response from inside, Cali peered through the window in the door, only to remember that they had hung a blanket up over the window to keep anyone from seeing in. She stepped back and sighed, frustrated, but tried to pay more attention to their surroundings.

As Mourgan had pointed out, there was no sign of any struggle, and all the doors and windows were intact. That must mean something, right? She frowned and tried to focus her thoughts toward achieving some sort of clarity on the matter. If the doors were all locked, then Iole must be in there. And she wouldn't have let anyone in without that specific knock, which only Cali and Nal would know, she reasoned. "She wouldn't have gone out to get food, we did that yesterday while we were out.." After leaving the guard headquarters, she finished in her head. "And I told her I'd get her things," She indicated the satchel, and sighed. "She must be here." So why wasn't she answering? Upstairs, perhaps? Asleep? Was there a basement? In their exploration that first night, they hadn't found one, but maybe Iole had discovered one after all. Or she could have found an attic to explore, for that matter. Would she have done any exploring, alone? Various thoughts raced through Cali's head, but nothing really satisfied her. She wouldn't be satisfied until she got inside and found out the truth for herself.

Despite the warmth in the garden, Cali wrapped her arms around herself, as if cold, and paced around the little patio for a moment before sinking down into one of the dainty little chairs positioned around an equally dainty table. "I..I don't know what to do..." Cali was so tired, worried, and distraught about the whole situation, she felt about ready to cry... something which she rarely ever did. Much less in front of other people. Folding her arms on the tabletop, she put her head down on them and failed to suppress a little sob that escaped her.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan Alarion
Sixth Level to Third Level
2 days after midsummer event
@Rillewen

He still followed behind her a step or so as she led him to the garden gate. He paused and was still surveying the ground and didn’t see her duck under the vine. By the time he looked up it was too late! He found himself being nearly strangled by the vine. “Pfft!” He spit out a leaf while his hands rapidly grabbed at the vines to pull them away.

His battle with the vine ended as quick as it started and he was clear of it as Cali voiced her thoughts on his own. He only paused long enough to watch her delicately transfer a spiders web to safety. His dark brows furrowed with thought. To care so much about such a small thing, unknowing to him a small grin flicked across his face. Impressed with her gentleness.

He proceeded to follow her and listened as she asked about the front door being locked. The question paused him in his searching for a moment. “I don’t think we did come to think of it.” He spoke as she tried the back door. It was locked and he watched her try to peer through the window. He watched her step back and sigh. He could feel her frustration and stood quietly as she seemed to reason out a few things.

He took a moment to look up and at the house, wondering if he could climb up and slip through a window but as was wondering how to get to a small window and much less fit through it he turned his attention back her. She’d crossed her arms and moved around the patio till she sunk down on a small chair at the table. He thought maybe she was going to sit and think for a moment but then she folded her arms on the table and put her head down. A small sob came from her.

No! No…she can’t cry! His brain was scrambling what to do. Check the front door! His brain said but then it told him to offer some sort of comfort. Don’t just leave her here crying! The conversation in his head went back and forth so fast he thought he heard another sob.

He moved closer to her and reached out a hand to rest on her shoulder, he pat it gently. “Cali.” He kneeled down by her side. “Cali, don’t cry.” He seen the weariness in her and he gently rubbed her shoulder. He couldn’t stand to see her upset, it physically hurt him to watch her. His browns eyes quickly looked from her hair to her arms.

He knew what he wanted to do, he wanted to pull her into his arms and kiss the weariness away. Kiss her till the smile returned to her lips and the sparkle shone once more in her eyes but those thoughts dissipated as reality sunk in.

“Let me go check the front door.” He was hesitant to leave her but felt she might need a moment to herself. He knew he did. “I’ll be right back if it’s locked.” He reassured her with a light squeeze on her shoulder. He stood and turned to head back down the same path that brought them back here. Mindful of the killer vine this time…
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Cali Dringolben
Third level

This was a really difficult situation. Cali really had no idea what to do, nor what could have happened to her friend. Was Iole inside, sleeping so soundly she didn't hear her knocking? Or had she left the house.. of her own accord or otherwise? What if something happened and she was lying in there hurt, or unconscious, or.. whatever? Should Cali try to get inside to investigate? Her mind was racing in circles, but felt a bit sluggish from sleep deprivation. Stressing out about something exactly like this happening had prevented her being able to sleep the past two nights, and now... she was too tired to think properly.

Mourgan's voice entered through the fog of near-panic. Don't cry. No, she wouldn't cry.. mustn't cry. It wouldn't do any good, anyway. With a quiet sniffle, Cali raised her head as Mourgan declared that he would check the front door, then watched as he went to do that. At least one of them was still calm and rational, she thought with slight relief. In the meanwhile, she drew in a deep breath, trying to find some sense of calm for herself. She really wanted to just curl up somewhere and sleep, and deal with this stuff later, but at the same time.. if Iole was in some sort of danger, there was no way she'd sleep until she'd seen her friend to safety.

So, what could she do? Rubbing her eyes, she decided to first stand up. Sitting down, in the warm sunlight, made it too easy to feel drowsy. Then she paced around the patio for a moment, feeling anxious every second while she waited for Mourgan to return. It occurred to her, moments later, that he didn't say what he would do if it wasn't locked. Before she had time to think of what would make the most sense, he was already returning. "Locked then?" She guessed, sighing as she tried to decipher what this could mean. She couldn't think of anything. "I don't know... I think maybe we should get inside after all. I'm getting worried." She bit her lip, glancing at the backdoor near where she stood. "I think this door would be the best one to try, though... if any neighbors or passing guards saw us breaking down the front door, that could be...really bad." She frowned slightly. Especially one particular guard, she thought, but didn't say that. "Too bad I don't know where any tools are, a crowbar would probably be useful now, wouldn't it?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan Alarion
Sixth level to Third
2 Days after the Midsummer event
@Rillewen

He dodged the low hanging vine as he made his way back the the front of the house. His thoughts however were a little scattered at seeing Cali so upset. This didn’t sit well with him so when he reached the door he might have used a little more force then was necessary but it wasn’t out of anger towards her, absolutely not. It was frustration with himself and the strong feelings he had for her.

He’d known her for a relatively short time and considering the past history with women, that he had feeling for anyways, he thought he would be more apt to run the opposite direction but something kept his feet still. He couldn’t describe it but yet he couldn’t voice it to her. She’d think him crazy and he would understand, especially with her past she had no reason to fully trust him yet alone think anything other, deeper, of him.

Perhaps it was something he would just have to let go, tamp down his feeling and put them away. Perhaps they would be of no use where she was concerned. He finished that thought by trying to twist the handle once more. No, it was surely locked and no amount of reasonable force, beside breaking it, was going to open it.

He made his way to the side of the house, brushing the vine and any other overgrowth out of his way. His booted steps could be heard making their way closer to the backyard. When she asked if it were still locked. He nodded in answer along with a perplexed “Mmmhmm.” She then suggest breaking into the house by way of the back door and her reasons for it.

“I think this one is best too.” She then suggested a crow bar. He looked from her to the door. “It’s alright, I think I can get it.” He stepped up to the door and gave it a once over look, hoping to find a loose hinge on it but found none. He looked back at her. “You might want to step back.” He didn’t want her getting hurt.

He looked back at the door and narrowed his brown eyes as if facing off with an opponent. He grabbed the handle and with a deep groan he twisted hard while ramming his wide shoulder into it. It didn’t give so he prepared to do it again. This time he took a step back before grabbing the handle and putting more of his shoulder and bulk weight into it.

A deep groan mixed with the sound of the wood door creaking and wood snapping was quickly followed by sound of him crashing into the interior of the house. With the giving of the door his feet quickly took him forward, his momentum moving him into the darkness of the house. He couldn’t see anything because of the stark difference of the outside sun and the houses dark interior from being closed up.

He also didn’t see the traps set for any intruder. He first stumbled into what seemed like strings but was followed quickly by a horrendous clamoring of what seemed to be bottles and crockery. Loud enough to wake the dead! He tried to untangle himself in the dark. “Humph!!” He groaned as he felt himself being tripped by the string only to catch himself before he face planted into the floor.

“Aughh!” He groaned as his right hand hit something that snapped so fast he couldn’t think to move it before he felt the stinging pain of a mouse trap catch his fingers!! “BEMA’S ARSH! He yelled as he tried to rid himself of the trap by shaking his hand but it only seemed to make it worse as the trap dug deeper into his knuckles. He rolled over while trying to pry the cursed thing off!

Sitting up he stilled as he heard it. A click. His ears perked as he listened to what seemed a series of things being tripped above him. What in Bemas name was that?! His eyes widened! Just as he thought it was over and he was safe he was proven wrong! In the darkness he didn’t see it coming, a bucket of bricks swung from a rafter.

Bonk!! Thankfully it didn’t hit him squarely but more so bounced off his large shoulder. “Owww!! Cali! What the..?!” He yelled back at her before he caught the bucket on its swing back while he rubbed his shoulder. “ A little heads up would have been nice.” He groaned as he prayed the trap off his fingers before nursing his sore shoulder.

⭐

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Cali Dringolben
Third level

Stepping back, Cali watched as Mourgan rammed his shoulder into the door, cringing slightly as she imagined how that would feel. Yet, it only took him two tries to force the door open, much to her surprise. She had thought it was a bit more secure than that, but apparently not.

A second later, the sound of wood breaking was replaced by several loud crashes as glassware and other porcelain dishes smashed on the floor, mingling with the awful noise of pots and pans and other metal dishes clanking and clanging and banging against each other. Cali suddenly gasped. "WAIT!" She called, but it was too late. He had already burst through the doorway. She swiftly came to try and come to his aid, frantically trying to recall everything that she, Iole, and Nal had set up on that doorway. Some of what Nal had rigged up, she didn't even know. Some, she did.

"Oh no!" Feeling terrible for having forgotten about all of this stuff that.. mostly Nal.. had arranged to surprise any potential intruders, Cali cringed as she heard Mourgan yelling in pain. Suddenly, the most dangerous of the traps came to mind. Fearing for Mourgan, she raced forward and ducked through the doorway, nearly tripping over Mourgan. She slipped a little on some broken glass on the floor, but kept going. That wasn't what she was worried about.

With just a bit of light coming through the door from behind her, she was only just able to see the big dish cabinet that they had positioned oh so carefully. She skidded to a stop just past Mourgan, her hands swiftly thrown out to catch the large piece of furniture that was about to topple down on him, braced against it to stop it from falling over. Barely in time. Otherwise, it would have crashed down on them both. But it was still leaning, and she struggled for a moment against the weight of it, straining to push it back upright. "That bucket.." She gasped, remembering how they had rigged this. "the weight.. is pulling this thing down," She explained swiftly, hoping he'd either dump the bricks, cut the string, or do something to ease the tension off so there was no more danger of it falling.

⭐
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan Alarion
Sixth level to Third
2 days after Midsummer event
@Rillewen
Before he could nurse his wounds too much Cali came rushing in and nearly tripped over him to come skidding to a stop, seeming to brace a tall cabinet that had started to fall over. His eyes widened even more in surprise as she kept it from falling on them.

Her words caused him to look at the bucket with the bricks and quickly toss out the bricks as far as fast and far as he could then he let the bucket go to release the tension on the cabinet. He scrambled as best he could to his feet. “Let me help with that.” He came to stand beside her taking a firm grip on one side to help push it up and back in place. Once he thought it was secure again he took a deep breath of relief.

“There.” He looked at her. “I think we’re safe now.” He gave the cabinet a small test to make sure before he let it go. “I’m glad you remembered this in time. I think that would have left more than a scratch on me.” He lightly grinned. “What you say we get some lights in here before we fall for anymore of your traps?”He looked back at the door. “I’ll fix that.” He half pointed to what was left of it.

He looked around at his first glimpse of the houses interior, wondering how many more traps were left. “Uhh..” He ran a hand through his brown hair in thought. “How many more traps you have in here? I’m sure your friend knows we’re here now.” A lopsided grin crossed his lips as he turned back to look at Cali.

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Cali Dringolben
Third level

Letting out a breath of relief once the cabinet was securely upright again, Cali stepped back and then faced Mourgan, an apologetic expression on her face. "I am so, so sorry," She told him, worried he might be upset, even if he wasn't hurt. "I completely forgot about all this, I don't know how I forgot, but.." She bit her lip lightly, hesitating. She really had no proper excuse for having forgotten, other than being tired. She sighed and put her face in her hands for a moment. "I'm really sorry, Mourgan, are you hurt?" She looked up again, feeling really bad for this incident, and for getting him involved at all. She was really glad that none of the traps had been lethal. Except maybe the cabinet one, but she'd stopped that from happening, thankfully.

She nodded as Mourgan suggested getting some lights going. "Good idea, some lights would be good," She agreed. Though there was plenty of bright daylight outside, the windows were covered and so it was fairly dark in the house. Thankfully, she didn't have to search far for a lantern, and it took only a moment to get it lit.

The question about whether there were more traps made her pause and blink at him a couple of times, but was drawing a blank about that. She glanced around, hesitating. "I.. don't think there are?" She answered slowly, trying to think. "Nal set these things up.. although the mouse trap was Iole's contribution. Sorry about that.." She cringed slightly in sympathy for him. "Is your hand alright? Here, hold it up," She suggested, taking his hand to hold it up to be elevated above his heart. "Let me get some salve that should help that," She was glad there was some of it here, and went to a cabinet nearby to retrieve a jar of salve intended just for such purposes. Being a smith, from a family of smiths, she was quite familiar with the best way to treat a smashed finger, and hurried back to Mourgan with a jar of the salve. "May I?"

Gently, she took his hand and rubbed the stuff into the area where the trap had got him. "I hope that helps... again, I'm really sorry," She murmured, as she tried to be very gentle in case his fingers were sore. "It should help if you move your fingers a bit, to keep the circulation going," She added, letting him have his hand back once she was finished. Putting the salve back in the cabinet, she glanced around with a small frown as Mourgan mentioned that her friend would know she was here now. He was right. Iole should have been aware that someone had entered the house, after all that noise. "Maybe she isn't here." She frowned slightly, then managed a faint smile. "Or, she's hiding because she doesn't know who it is... Shall we search the house.. just in case?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trevadir
A street on the Fifth Circle - Early August

The fifth circle seemed so vastly different from the lower levels that Trev was most familiar with. Trev had never really spent much time here, in his childhood. Although his grandmother worked in a clothing shop up here, he had never really come up here unless he was passing through to find Iole, with the rest of the gang. His home in childhood had been on the first circle, Cali and Ryn on the second, and Iole on the sixth, in those days. School had been on the third circle. Lately, since his return to the White City, he had been boarding with Cali and Iole in their new shared home on the third circle. Still, Trev had not really ventured around much yet, instead, he had spent that time resting and recovering from.. well, the last five years, really. Then, also, helping take care of Cali after she was wounded had caused some delay in going to visit Macardil, having stuck close to her in case she needed anything.

But now his injured friend was recovered enough to return to work, and it had been a little while now since his homecoming. And Trev had yet to pay a visit to the friend who had made it all possible. Lieutenant Dealedwen had told him the address, that day in the Wayfarer, but a bit of time had passed, since. Fortunately, Trev had made up a little rhyme in his head to make sure he didn't forget the address, and had memorized it, set to a catchy little tune that made it easy to remember. Though it had been a couple of weeks since the incidents in Harlond which had resulted in his return to Minas Tirith, Trev had not forgotten his gratitude toward Macardil, and had also not forgotten that he had intended to come and see him again, once he was settled in. Now, he had deemed it was about time he did made that visit.

Glancing around as he muttered the rhyme under his breath, Trev felt a bit out of place as he turned down the correct street and glanced around at all the other houses on either side. His steps slowed, suddenly a bit nervous. While he had cleaned up since the events in Harlond, and even had new clothes, his garb was still quite plain and simple. He preferred that, but still.. here, looking around this neighborhood of big, expensive-looking homes, he could imagine he must look as if he'd gotten lost. But, he reminded himself that he was not here to see any rich folks who may or may not be snobbish about his clothing. He was coming to see a friend. He tried to battle away any insecurities about the thought that maybe it had been mere politeness on Macardil's part. Taking a deep breath to gather his nerve, Trev continued down the street until he came to the one with the numbers matching the one in his rhyme.

When he stopped and looked at the house, he couldn't help being rather impressed. And slightly intimidated, in a strange way. It was a very nice place. Macardil had made mention about having plenty of money, but Trev hadn't quite realized how much he would have. Trev's grandmother's entire house could probably fit inside the front room, if he was correct in his estimation judging by the windows. The balcony stretching along most of the length of the place sort of reminded him a bit of a ship's deck, but yet not quite the same. He could imagine it would afford a nice view of the area, and smiled faintly as he thought about how he used to like to climb up in the rigging and see the view from up there. Perhaps Macardil liked a nice open view from high up, also.

Once again fighting against his thoughts, Trev approached the front door and hesitated. It had been a couple of weeks now, and while he had come to think of Macardil as a friend by the time they arrived together in the Wayfarer Inn, he realized he wasn't entirely sure whether that had been one-sided. For a brief moment, he questioned whether someone with that much money would be the least bit interested in being friends with someone from the poor part of the first circle, who had no money, no job, no place of his own, and probably a poor reputation, if any. But, closing his eyes, Trev told himself that was just the sort of thing Dev would say to him in an effort to convince him he was unwanted, and so tried his best to block out such thoughts. He would not let Dev's lies get to him anymore.

Without giving himself another moment to dwell on those insecure thoughts, Trev stepped up to the door and swiftly made use of the door knocker before stepping back. There, it was done. No going back, now. He'd made sure it was properly loud enough, too. While waiting for an answer to the knock, he couldn't help wondering if there were servants in Macardil's employ who might answer the door. Hopefully, they wouldn't send him away, if that was the case.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

He'd already completed his regular morning run, wash and close shave. His daily clean-up tour of the house was behind him as well, and Macardil had finished enjoying a cup of coffee. As it stood, he had been about to put his bow to the strings of his violin when he heard the knock on the front door. He paused. He was not expecting anyone, was he? Ziran had left for whatever ranger duty which had her name on today, and had left a while ago. Besides, she had a key and therefore no reason to knock.

He gently put down his instrument and walked through the open double doors separating the living room from the kitchen, then through the door to the entrance hall. The entrance was large but was only sparsely furnished. An open, crescent-shaped staircase with wide steps dominated the space, off to one side of the door. Tall, wide windows on both floors lit the hall with daylight. In the open space created by the curve of the broad stairway, a tall and lush potted plant brought some green into the place. Other than a coat hanger, a low cupboard, and several doors, there was not much more to note about it.

When he opened the door and saw the man waiting on the other side, his eyebrows lifted with mild surprise, to soon make way for a warm smile. "Trevadir! An unexpected pleasure." Macardil took a step back, gesturing toward the interior of the hall. "Do come in, if you have the time? I am sure the coffee is still warm, but rest assured there are other options if you prefer something else." A set of glad, blue eyes casually took in Trevadir's appearance. "You look well, friend. How has life in Minas Tirith been treating you?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trevadir
Macardil's home - Early August (late morning)

While he wasn't entirely sure what he was expecting, Trev was mildly surprised to see Macardil himself open the door, and then, he was relieved by the apparent glad reaction to seeing Trev at his door. The unease and anxiety that had settled into his stomach vanished almost immediately. "Thanks," Trev smiled and stepped inside. "Oh, I'm fine, thanks, already had breakfast and everything." He assured Macardil. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything though?" he added, a bit concerned he might have had poor timing with his visit.

He couldn't help glancing around curiously at the interior of the place once he was inside. Yep, his grandma's house could definitely fit inside, he thought with vague amusement, but kept that locked inside, not allowing that to show on his face. "The lieutenant gave me your address, and I meant to come by sooner, but.." He hesitated, unsure how much of the incidents he ought to tell about. "Stuff came up," He finished, returning his gaze to Macardil after his eyes had taken in the surroundings inside. He smiled as he heard the other say he looked well. "Thanks. I definitely feel much better than when you last saw me." It was remarkable how much better he felt after just a couple of weeks with regular, healthy meals and proper sleep on a regular basis. Especially when the danger of being dragged back into that nightmare life was gone, as far as he could tell. The feeling of being safe went a long ways toward helping one have a good night's sleep.

"I haven't really had much chance to get around and see the city since I've been back, though," Trev admitted. "I've been staying at my friend's place, so they've taken good care of me. But then Cali hurt her leg last week, so I was trying to help her with stuff as much as I could. She's doing better now, though. Enough that she returned to work already, so I walked with her up as far as the armory, 'cause she is still limping a little." He explained. "And since I was coming up this way, it gave me a perfect opportunity to come and visit you," He concluded with a smile, then quickly added, "If you're not busy, of course."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

"It is a host's task to provide guests with something, at least," Macardil responded when Trevadir said he'd already had breakfast. "If nothing else, some water after your walk." If Trevadir truly was not thirsty, he need not drink it, after all. He lead his friend through the double doors to the kitchen, one of which he'd left open before. The kitchen was airy, but not as spacious as the entrance hall. There was only a small, high table opposite the countertops, but no place to sit and eat. Macardil poured them both some water. The question of whether Trevadir was interrupting, made Macardil shook his head. "Not at all. I was just about to play something," he said, but once the words left his mouth he realized that wouldn't necessarily register as playing his instrument. "On the violin." As a fellow musician, Trevadir would know how important regular practice was. He smiled, handing the water to his friend.

"However, that can wait. Even though I was released from the dungeons almost half a year ago, I shamefully have to admit I still need to figure out what I would like to do with my days, now Rangering is no longer an option." He spoke freely, calmly - since Trevadir was already well informed. Preceeding Trevadir into the large space he used as a living room, he then took a seat on the large couch in the center of the room, placing his drink on the low table in front of it. "Please, sit."

This room presented a stark contrast to the entrance hall and the kitchen. While the latter rooms were light-toned and stone-floored, more typical of the overall Minas Tirith colour palette, the living room was not. The floor was made of a polished, darker brown wood. One wall was covered from floor to ceiling with an undeep book case of a rich brown wood. On the opposite wall, a painting of a lush green forest hung on the wall next to more doors, leading to an unseen room, for they were closed. What was similar to the other rooms, however, was the use of windows and light. Floorlength windows had been built all along the wall opposite the doors to the kitchen, bathing the room in natural light. There were several plant standards by the windows as well as tall candle holders, of which the candles were, of course, currently unlit. A standalone fireplace stood a ways removed from the windows, a thin chimney going through the ceiling. If Trevadir were to look around, he would see that Macardil had left his violin on top of a low cupboard in between the doors to the kitchen and another set of doors. A sheet music standard stood next to it, but despite Macardil's claim he had been about to play, it was empty.

"I hope that whatever has kept you from visiting sooner, was not too troublesome," he said diplomatically, slanting his head slightly as he regarded Trevadir. When the young man said he was staying at his friend's place, Macardil thought it over. It could not be Unalmis' place - he still lived at the barracks. But before his thoughts could arrive to Cali or Iole, Trevadir filled in the blank. "I am glad to hear you found a place to stay. I expected as much when I did not see you sooner - for I hoped you would ask for my help if you could not find a place to sleep." At the mention of the limp, the former ranger nodded knowingly. "Ah, yes. Cali showed courage that day. She should be proud." Ziran had only heard about it after the fact, and while it had seemed she would have wanted to be there to make whatever difference she could, Macardil had been relieved she had been otherwise engaged that day. Especially after hearing what this Relic sorceress could do. He had had quite enough of sorcery, and would prefer never to be confronted with it again.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trevadir

Though slightly caught off guard by Macardil's insistence on providing him something to drink, Trev nodded slightly. "Well, if you insist," He answered, a bit unused to such things. "Thank you." He followed after him to the kitchen, glancing around as he went. The place was quite impressive, and he was a little amazed. He'd never been in a house like this before. "Your house is very nice, by the way." He commented, sincerely.

Taking the offered glass, he smiled to hear that Macardil was about to practice. "Oh? If you'd like to continue with whatever you were going to play, I wouldn't mind hearing it. I haven't heard you play since Midsummer, and... I got distracted, after a point." It had been a mostly good distraction, but he had missed a good portion of the music after that. "I've always enjoyed hearing any sort of music, to be honest." He grinned. "My grandmother wasn't quite so enthusiastic about my early attempts at making music on her pots and pans, however." His flute was, as always, with him. He had a leather 'holster' for it now, attached to his belt, so that it hung at his side more securely than before when it was just tucked under the belt.

Thoughtful about the comment about having not found anything to do with his days, Trev nodded as he followed Macardil to the other room. "I haven't started trying to find a job yet," He admitted. "I was going to, but then Cali.." He shrugged. He'd done as much as he could to make sure she rested her leg, which meant attempting to cook supper for the girls, since Iole had her job. "Nothing too troublesome, no. I've been resting a lot. Helping the girls around the house, that sort of thing. And.. writing songs." He added with a slight smile. He was a bit surprised then to hear that Macardil already seemed to know about Cali getting hurt, and the circumstances behind it. Choosing a spot to sit, he tilted his head curiously. "I didn't know it was common knowledge, about all that," He commented in mild surprise. "Nal and I were off in the Pelennow when it happened, but Cali told us and Iole what she could about it. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to tell anyone else, though. Plus.. it's a bit unbelievable anyway." he added with a light laugh.

"As for being proud," Trev shrugged and took a small sip of water. "She's... I don't know. I've found that women are a bit of a puzzle at times, and sometimes it's more confusing trying to solve that puzzle than leaving it alone." He half-joked. "I'm just glad she seems more like herself now, than she was before." He added more seriously. "But we're all very proud of her, despite whatever she thinks about it."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

He nodded with a muted smile when Trevadir complimented the house. "Thank you. My stay at the city dungeons have turned me into quite the fan of natural light." And it showed. He realized that, while the place was still a far cry from the unnecessary extravagance of the Himhathol estate in Belfalas, the Fifth Circle residence would appear very spacious and luxurious to Trevadir. "I only bought the place a few months ago. When I was still a Ranger, I lived in a room the barracks," he added, somehow not wanting to appear too used to such things.

"I understand enjoying music. I tend to fill my need for it with visits to the Hall of Song as well as places that cater good food and music from time to time." He smiled ironically. "Not places like the Siren, however," he added, amused. He was actually rather pleased that his new house was on the same circle as the Hall of Song. It had been a place he had visited frequently ever since their arrival in Minas Tirith over two decades ago. It was where his mother had found him a new violin instructor. Where they had maintenance done to instruments. Where they purchased new string and had it replaced, for example. The Hall was filled with professionals: builders, composers, players. It hosted frequent showcases as well, and was a place for the musicians of the city to gather, hone their craft and exchange beauty.

"Well, what kind of job are you looking for?" The inquiry was light, casual - belying the fact Macardil had given it some prior thought. He hadn't been able to help himself. "Would you be looking to play for a tavern of sorts, like you have done in the past?" He raised a hand, to beat any protest Trevadir might offer. "Again, not a place like the Siren. Somewhere with more... balanced clientele. And a good-natured boss. If so, I know just the place where you might be able to do that. It would not be a full time engagement. However, it could be a way to start. And if you make a name for yourself there, it could open doors to other places."

When Trevadir mentioned he hadn't known it was common knowledge - what had happened to Cali - Macardil slowly shook his head. "It is not common knowledge. However, my betrothed is a Ranger. She was debriefed after the fact. And while it is not the command's intent for such rumors to spread throughout the city, it was not prohibited for them to share the story with those closest to them. After all - Cali has told you, as well." A wry smile mastered his features. "Stories as good as this one often have a way of permeating the Seven Circles of the city anyhow. Sooner or later. Unbelievable or otherwise." He raised an eyebrow. "Such as commanding an army of the Dead. Yes?"

His friend's comment about women being a bit of a puzzle, made Macardil laugh quietly. "Not solely the prerogative of women, my friend," he shared his own opinion. In some ways, his own puzzle had often proved more difficult than that of the women he'd been close to. Not that there had been all that many. "I suppose it all depends on the nature of the lady in question. The more closeted they are when it comes to their more personal thoughts and feelings, the more of a challenge they prove to be. It is harder to solve a puzzle when you do not know what it supposed to look like," he mused thoughtfully.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trevadir

Trev nodded in understanding at the mention of preferring natural light. He absolutely understood that. While he'd never been locked up in a dungeon, he had ended up locked in the cell within the depths of the ship now and then. And, though he hadn't been deprived of light while trapped on the ship, that had been a prison of its own sort. At the moment, Trev hadn't really taken the time to think about whether he would ever want to set foot on a ship ever again, but he also had a better understanding of Nal's reluctance to do so.

He was still thinking about that when Macardil brought up a rather interesting name. Hall of Song? Thoughts of ships and prisons quickly vanished from his thoughts as he became intrigued by this brief mention of what sounded like a place name which he had never heard of. Although Macardil continued on to talk about taverns and places where he could go to hear music, Trev's thoughts lingered on those three words. Hall of Song. What was that? He wanted to ask, but didn't want to interrupt, as Macardil was now asking him about what sort of job he might be interested in.

"Um," he had to refocus his attention away from asking about the mysterious Hall of Song for a moment, to answer Macardil's question. "Well, I haven't really had a chance to look for anything yet," He shrugged. "I used to play in that tavern on the first circle when I was younger, the one I pointed out, remember? But," he hesitated. "Well, I had to keep my grandma from finding out because she wouldn't have approved," he admitted with a slightly sheepish smile. "I'd rather not even ask about that, because it's sort of similar in style to the Siren.. different 'clientele', maybe no pirates, but.. you know. Rough sort of people, a lot of drunks, that sorta thing. I'm not interested in that, but I'm really not sure what sort of options are available..." He paused, listening to the description of the place Macardil knew of, and tried to refrain from getting too excited, too soon. "That sounds nice," He admitted, slightly hopeful. "But, would they hire me?" He asked, uncertain, since so many establishments had rejected him in Harlond. He'd even been turned down for basic jobs that didn't involve music.

The news that Macardil's betrothed was a ranger, somewhat surprised him, as he didn't think that had been mentioned before. But it definitely explained how he would've heard about the battle in the mess hall so soon. He grinned slightly, nodding as Macardil mentioned how the story was likely to spread. "No kidding... actually, now that you mention it.." he laughed. "I heard also a large portion of the story from another point of view; a ranger recruit who's friends with Nal, who was there and saw it happen. In fact, they've suggested the idea of putting the whole tale to verse and make it into an ode," he grinned, a little amused by it. "Because apparently, 'the epic tale needs to be sung about for many generations to come', according to Trastion." He explained, trying not to laugh. "He's rather enthused about the idea. Cali just rolled her eyes though," he added, thoughtful. "Said I should check about whether it's alright to be spreading the tale, which got me wondering if it was supposed to be kept quiet or something," He added.

Trev then grew more thoughtful at Macardil's reply about 'puzzles'. "Yeah... I guess so," He acknowledged. The others must have been rather confused about Trev, he realized. Considering the lies that they'd heard, and a few other conflicting things about him and his situation, up until his recent return when he was able to explain everything. Still, girls in general had always seemed a bit of a mystery to Trev, although there were a few whom he knew well enough to understand... most of the time. He figured that he would just have to get to know them both, again. Because they had each changed in some ways, even if many things were the same.

"Anyway.." he decided to drop that topic, as he wasn't even quite sure how to explain what he found so confusing about Cali, "What is the Hall of Song?" He couldn't hold back from asking that any longer. "Is that something new? I've never heard of that, where is it?" He wondered, trying to imagine what sort of place it might be. And if it was someplace that he could go to, he was rather intrigued to go and see for himself, if it was anything like what it sounded like.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

Unalmis Raxëlilta
At a friend’s house on the 3rd Circle. On the Eve of Erulaitalë
with Cadil - @Pele Alarion

As Cadil gave up his reasons for not re-enlisting, Unalmis played with patience until his host brought up a new verse to the usual repertoire. Officers running him up and down the stairs ? To be fair, the Ranger couldn’t entirely deny that one. A certain Barracks Master had not long since demanded it of him in fact.

It occurred to Unalmis though, squatting as he was in Cadil’s kitchen, that he knew very little about the other young man’s life. Beyond that his friend simply wanted an easy time of it, of course. And that his family were apparently wealthy enough to allow him to do .. well, nothing, and not fuss him over it. If there was more to the young man’s reasoning than simply the laziness he kept professing as his favourite hobby, then perhaps his parents were aware of it. But his friend was not.

He knew that the other young man had gotten mixed up in an effort to retrieve some Ranger - he did not know who - from Umbar a few years before. Warder had not given him a whole lot of details on that front, for more than one reason. Nal hadn’t asked for any clarification. For the very same reasons. Still, Unalmis might have pondered by now whether Cadil was dragging his heels about re-enlistment because of that very grim ordeal. They had brought Gael home yes, but apparently not the one they had intended to rescue. Did Cadil have guilt over that ? Did he feel that perhaps he could not face walking about as a Ranger any more, because they had failed a peer ? Perhaps the now former Ranger had simply had enough of risking a more perilous existence. But Unalmis was equally more concerned with any immediate threat to Cadil’s life, than how exactly the former Ranger chose to now spend that life.

Same,” he admitted, with a sigh when Cadil confessed to not having told anyone official about what had happened last autumn. Embarrassment hadn’t quite been Nal’s motive in not reporting it to the Guard, but he could scarcely deny that it had scarcely been something to boast about. So he understood Cadil’s reluctance well enough.

The thing is, that fellow who gave the girls such a hard time last year, he showed up again today at the Erulaitalë. And Cali thinks that reporting him, again, is a good idea,Nal explained, in the sort of tone which doubted the wisdom, or the effectiveness, of such a plan himself. “She is convinced he has come back to be rid of any witnesses. And I don’t know ..” he paused, again, as a thought struck him toward a direction which did not sit comfortably. “But you were there,” he uttered, almost stunned by his sudden concerning over a deeper degree.

So, clearly, I felt you are owed a warning, in that regard,” he shrugged. “He might recognise you if he is running about the place. And .. as to the deal ..oh, do you have any of that plantain in your garden now that you mention it ?Nal wondered, concluding his question apparently idly, and maybe not even the same question he had been able to ask at all. Best to see how the news itself fell before moving toward the proposal he had in mind to make.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Third Circle - Cali and Iole's house
Trevadir's report

Unalmis had readily provided her with the address once she had gone to him for arrangements. IT had been a good week and a half since Trevadir's arrival in the White City. Arnyn had wanted the young man to have some time to acclimate to home again. Get his bearings. And just when she had been about to request they meet for the purpose of Trevadir giving his report... Pele had pushed Relic to make her move. Arnyn had been forced to change the arrangements, pushing it back yet another handful of days.

In the end, Unalmis had brokered a day that suited all three of them. Yet for some reason she had not asked Unalmis whether he would already be at the house by the agreed upon time, or whether the ranger would still need to make his way down to the third circle, just like she would have to. Upon that realization, Arnyn had grumbled at herself. These were the details that she had no mindspace for at present. She could not help but wonder whether this was the right time to be talking to Trevadir. Then again, why would it not be? At least Relic was gone. The most urgent matters had been dealt with.

And so the Lieutenant found herself approaching the unfamiliar house on the third level of the city. Once again, she had forgone the uniform. Her clothes were a mix of blacks and browns however, her ranger colors of choice, and she was wearing her hand and a half sword on her back. A bag was slung over one shoulder - but it did not seem to be transporting much. This day, she was not early. After all, arriving at someone's place of residence early was often seen as impolite. Neither was she late, for that might also be construed as a lack of respect. Rather, she was perfectly on time. Her long, blonde hair fell forward over her shoulders as she surveyed the facade of the building for a moment. As if she were sizing it up. Or possibly preparing herself for whatever was to come. In truth, she was uncertain of what to expect.

Arnyn drew a slow breath into her lungs. The set of her shoulders changed just a little. Her hand moved and gave the front door a loud knock.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali
Late morning, Urimë 16 (3 days after the fire)
Cali and Iole's house - Third Circle

"Trev, it's summertime." Cali reminded her friend, as he prepared to lay a blanket over her legs, where she lay stretched out on the sofa.
"Well, yeah, but..."
"I appreciate the thought, but it's summer." She emphasized, looking up at him with faint amusement.
"So, does that mean you don't want me to light the fireplace?" He guessed, in mock surprise.
"No, not really," She rolled her eyes, half-wondering if he was merely trying to make her laugh to distract her from the troubling news that Nal had brought with him last night.
"Alright, fine. But if you get cold, just remember, I offered." He smirked teasingly, as some noisy clattering came from the kitchen.
"What did you break?" Cali called out with slight annoyance.

Just then, the knock on the door cut off any further discussion between the friends. The cat curled up in Cali's lap looked up, startled by this abrupt, foreign noise, and stared at the door with her ears angled back, then looked up at Cali questioningly. Cali smiled softly and stroked her gently. "It's alright, nothing to be alarmed about," She assured her in a soothing voice. "That must be the lieutenant," She supposed, as Trev tossed the blanket over the arm of a chair and went to answer the door.

Taking a deep breath, Trev reminded himself of the tale that Nal had told him not long ago. The point of the tale, being that the lieutenant was 'on their side' as Nal put it. He had to agree, after having spent part of the afternoon talking with her, a week and a half ago. Just the same, this was a slightly different type of situation. There were different things to be nervous about, this time. As he opened the door, the smell of coffee wafted out to greet the lieutenant. "Good morning, Lieutenant." He smiled slightly. "How are you?" He stepped aside to allow her in with a sweeping gesture to invite her in, slightly awkward about what to say here, being slightly unused to doing this sort of thing.

His bruises were faded significantly by now, with only a little yellowish discoloration remaining. He had acquired new clothes since the last time he had met with Arnyn, and appeared cleaner, and noticeably healthier. The room was still furnished the way it had been left by the previous owner, since neither Cali nor Iole had anything to replace it with, though some of their belongings had arrived to add their personal touch to the place.

"Welcome, Lieutenant Dealedwen," Cali spoke up from the couch with a smile. "Would you like anything to drink?"

"Oh, right," Trev jumped in, "There's some juice, and lemonade... Nal's making coffee, and, there's also tea, and.." He faltered, unable to think of anything else, and glanced questioningly at Cali to see if she maybe knew the options better.

"And milk. Or water, if you prefer," Cali concluded. "Also, whenever you three want to begin your talk, we can move to another room, if you three want to use this room," She added, indicating herself and the cat as 'we'. It would be far more comfortable to sit here in the comfy chairs and couches, rather than at the kitchen table, so she totally understood that, and also understood if it was a private discussion that would take place. Another clattering noise came from another room, at which Cali merely sighed and turned her eyes toward the kitchen in exasperation, then looked back at the lieutenant with a slightly forced smile. "Iole told Nal to wash dishes..." She explained.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

She nodded. "Good morning, Trevadir." Stepping into the house, she answered his polite question. "I am well, thank you. You look well, also." Her tone was genuine. "Less beaten up," she added, casually. One might wonder if she had actually said it at all, for she gave those three quick words no further attention. It was true, however. He looked less beaten up - literally and figuratively.

Upon Cali's greeting, Arnyn smiled at the smithy. "Morning, Cali." Before the Lieutenant had a chance to reply to the other woman's offer of a drink, Trevadir started listing options - although he had to defer to Cali after a while. All of this, combined with the clattering noise from the kitchen and Cali's explanation for it, made Arnyn smile softly. Perhaps she should address the room issue first. "I do not believe you will have to move if we can sit elsewhere," she said gently. "Besides, I might also need to write a few things down at some point, so a proper table could be convenient." Her eyes travelled into the direction of the noise before settling on Trevadir for a moment. "If Unalmis is making coffee and not actually strangling the pot," she began with some humor to her tone, "I would not mind some. And a glass of water, if it is not too much trouble. It is only morning, but the sun is no less assertive for it today."

"How is your leg?" she then asked Cali, meanwhile slinging the light bag from her shoulders and slowly lowering it onto the coffee table. "Have Trevadir and Unalmis been helping you and Iole out?" she inquired, indicating Cali's injury and the house as a whole. She was mildly curious to find out more about their group dynamic.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

Trev smiled faintly at Arnyn's comment as he closed the door once she was inside. But he felt no need to reply, as she had moved on to greeting Cali. He was indeed quite a bit less 'beaten up', as his bruises were much improved. And many issues that he had been nervous about getting between himself and Nal had been breached already, and they had worked through it. Together. They were friends, once again. That was an immense relief to him, and so he felt a lot better about this. Most of the things that he anticipated would come up in this meeting, he had already given Nal some heads-up, so those things shouldn't be such a shock to him.

"Alright," Cali nodded when Arnyn declared there was no need for her to move. "Just, if you go into the kitchen, beware of broken glass. It might be dangerous in there." She added, a bit jokingly. But mildly serious as well.

At the joke about Nal strangling the coffee pot, Trev grinned. "Yeah... I.. probably better check on him," he suggested, thinking it might be a good idea to try to help clean up any mess before letting the lieutenant in there. "I'll get your coffee. And water," He added to Arnyn before slipping off to the kitchen.

"The lieutenant's here," he informed Nal as he entered the other room, and glanced around. "Are there any glasses or mugs left?"

Cali watched Trev go, somewhat amused, before turning to Arnyn with a little smile. "My leg is.. getting better," She answered, not really eager to talk about that. "Would you like to sit down?" She asked, motioning to the unoccupied armchairs. She assumed Trev would come back with the drinks Arnyn had requested, and she wouldn't mind having a moment to chat with the lieutenant before they went off to have their serious talk about the things they had to talk about.

She laughed lightly at the next question. "Helping is one way of putting it," She answered with amusement. "Helping minimize the amount of dishes that need to be washed in the future, I suppose.." She grinned. "I'm kidding. They've both been great. Nal stopped in last night, and stayed over. Trev has been living here, and it's been very nice having him around. And, a couple of days ago, they brought me and Iole another friend." She smiled slightly down at the cat in her lap, which was watching Arnyn with curious blue eyes.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

@Rillewen @Arnyn

Unalmis Raxëlilta
at Cali / Iole’s house, on the Third Circle
The Morning of Urimë 16 (three days after the fire)

Sorry, didn’t catch that,Unalmis called back over one shoulder to Cali’s enquiry. It was unclear whether this meant he did not catch what she had said, or that he had not caught whatever had, as a consequence, broken to make such a racket. He missed hearing the knock at the door at any rate, but there were calm words soonafter from that direction, far too polite to come from their hostess chiding her ‘helpful’ assistants. So the Lieutenant’s arrival was noted nonetheless.

Sure enough, Trevadir came out to join him a short time later, and relayed Arnyn’s preferred beverage. “Try that one,Nal indicated a cupboard with his head turned briefly in it’s direction. “There are some still with handles in there, and the coffee is hot.” He risked a glance through the dining room and half-glimpsed Cali making her guest welcome. But having seized a slender wooden chopping board off the counter, the Ranger managed to produce this, to serve as a tray, and limit spillage, as well as cover his brief reconnaissance. “She might want milk with it,” he advised his friend, as an afterthought.

Anything more meaningful that he might choose to say to Trevadir at this point was likely only going to make his friend nervous, all over again. And so he smiled only, in as reassuring a manner as any person could, whilst leaving the kitchen in such a state as he was. But the coffee at least, he was reasonably confident, was well and good. While, .. well who could serve a glass of water wrong ? He handed Trev a readied glass of lemonade as well, without needing to be asked. They were getting used to one another again now. After five years, much had changed, but the foundations they'd come from, they still recognised. They could build back up from that again, and had begun so.

It’s the only way we could keep her from getting up every five minutes,” the Ranger teased, heading in their drinks procession even as Cali introduced Arnyn to the new housecat. “Sit that upon her lap, and they’re both settled.

Despite the impromptu stay overnight, Nal had managed to pull together an at least respectable appearance, given his superior’s appointment. He had slept in yesterday’s clothes, but it helped to have a small set of fresh here, for emergencies. Mostly because who knew when Brian would ever get back and humour his begging return of confiscated laundry. The young man had left some clothes at his father’s home too. But yesterday’s training get-up had been replaced this morning with an easy grey-blue shirt, and black trousers. “Lieutenant,” he dropped his chin briefly, before placing their makeshift tray on the small table for her convenience.

The Ranger had promised to attend today, and would have Arnyn know that he had every intention of living up to that word. He owed not only Trevadir that much, after all.
Last edited by Ercassie on Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan
Third level
@Rillewen
When she lit the lantern it took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the flame but it was enough to notice the exhaustion and apology on her face for his injuries. “I’ve been through worse.” He tried to downplay his injuries to make her feel better before she answered about any other traps. He was relieved to hear she didn’t think there was.
Then she asked about his hand, even telling him to hold it up then taking it to hold up. The feel of her fingers in his hand caught him by surprise, he nearly froze and the only thing moving when she went to get the salve was his dark eyes on her.

May I. Two small words but they had a strange effect on him. They made him unable to speak for a moment. Say something Mourgan. His brain told him but all he could manage was a slow nod of the head. He watched her as she gently rubbed the salve in and when she said it would help to move his fingers he once more nodded wordlessly.

When she went to put the salve back he was able to gather his wits about him as he looked down at his hand and moved his fingers slowly. “Hmm.” He lightly said as his fingers didn’t sting as they had. He was surprised.

He looked back to her as she spoke of her friend not being here or still hiding from them then suggesting they search the house. He looked around. He was kinda leary of just taking off to search by himself.

He looked back at her through the dim light. “I think so but I think it’d be best if you led the way, after all I don’t think she’d react well to see me coming through the door first. I’ll follow you.” He gestured from her to lead the way. Ya, maybe he was afraid getting a board upside the head but his suggestion did have merit so he wasn’t completely chickening out.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

He nodded when Trevadir mentioned the tavern in the First Circle. Macardil remembered him pointing it out, yes. "The place I have in mind is not at all similar to the Siren. Drunks are shown to the door or not even allowed to enter. I have known the owner for many years - Turgil saw me growing from a boy into a man, and I am still a regular. I think he might be amenable to the suggestion, for he does regularly put out a call for musicians. He used to have a few regular players, but not of late." Macardil slanted his head. "I can offer no guarantees. However, I could make some inquiries upon my next visit. If he is looking, I can set up a meeting between the two of you." He raised a hand. "Of course, if you are not interested, do not feel bad to refuse. It was just a thought I had. The tavern in question is called The Bay of Belfalas. It is on the Fourth Circle."

One eyebrow lifted minutely at Trevadir telling him about the idea of turning the altercation with Relic into a song. Different responses warred within him. "It would make for an excellent song," was his first response, but it came out slowly and thoughtfully. When done right, an ode like that could be song for years - it might even earn a place in the typical collection of songs that bards tended to have at the ready. At least in and around the city.
Something inside of him was urging him to stimulate the idea. Despite the other part of him, which had its reservations. "There was... no official proclamation or order to keep it quiet, was there?" he asked, still rather thoughtful, as he picked up his own glass of water from the low table in front of the couch. "I do believe that the asking for permission in a case like this one might bring forth additional limits, where there were none before. At least not any which were clearly formulated." Macardil's blue eyes gleamed with something as he looked at Trevadir. "I would not advise following your friend's suggestion." Arnyn did not strike him as someone who would be eager to be featured in any kind of song. "Does your friend - Cali - mind the idea of being included in the verses?" He took a slow sip from his glass. "You would compose the tune? And your friends would think of the words? Or do they play as well, and would the three of you be doing everything together?"

He blinked at Trevadir's question about the Hall of Song. "You play, and you have lived here all your life exempting the last five years, and do not know of it?" The very notion seemed ludicrious to him, for he did not see why living in the First Circle would form an impediment to a visit to the Hall of Song. "It is a place of music, put simply. A place to be inspired, a place to start or continue learning, a place to buy an instrument or have it repaired or maintained. I go there for new string and sheet music. It is where we found my violin instructor when I was young. They do showcases as well. Both larger productions, which require you to buy a ticket, but also smaller affairs which anyone may attend - without it costing anything. If you have never been, it would be my pleasure to show you around."

@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

Arnyn laughed quietly. "I will keep an eye out for glass or hardware before I sit down," she agreed, amused. It would be one of the least worrisome dangers she had been forced to deal with. She would take broken glass over a shape-shifting sorceress any day. With a look at Cali's leg, she was certain the smithy would agree. Arnyn smiled after Trevadir when he went to check on Unalmis in the kitchen. "Thank you," she called after him, just loud enough - she hoped - for him to hear, not wanting to raise her voice in the house, not even to be polite.

She nodded at Cali's invitation to sit and claimed one of the armchairs. For the time being, she could sit with Cali. "Better is good," she smiled. "I am glad to hear it." Observing the cat in the other woman's lap, a soft smile on her face, another brief and quiet laugh escaped her when Cali said Unalmis was reducing the amount of dishware. "Less dishes to be washed is always helpful," she agreed, fighting the grin that wanted to break through. Listening to what Cali had to say, Arnyn got the impression that this group of friends were exceptionally tight-knit. It warmed her to hear of such a thing. She leaned back in the armchair. This should be the norm, shouldn't it? Rather than the exception...

"And a beautiful new friend it is," she said, her eyes back on the cat. "Do you have a name yet?"

Unalmis and Trevadir came out of the kitchen then, and Unalmis' words amused her. "I cannot argue with such efficiency," she laughed - again. Truly, she was laughing much more than she would have anticipated, though she was glad for it. "Hello, Unalmis," she returned the ranger's polite greeting.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Cali Dringolben
Third level

While Cali had no doubt that Mourgan, a seasoned ranger despite being so young, had surely been through worse things than having a mouse trap getting his hand, and a few other traps.. she also knew how much a few little things like that could hurt. And she felt bad for having neglected to give him proper warning. So, it was a relief that he seemed better after she applied the salve to his hand.

Moments later, he spoke up with a suggestion that made very good sense. Cali paused and considered that, then nodded. "Yes, good point." She agreed, imagining Iole's fright if she were to see Mourgan, whom she really didn't know. Vaguely reminded of the first night that she and Iole had spent here, when the two of them had gone exploring the empty house, Cali raised up the lantern in one hand, and paused before grabbing a kitchen knife for her other hand. Just in case.

By now, she knew the lay of the house fairly well, and so she set off through the dining room, then to the living room. The front door was not barred, she observed, and frowned somewhat. Surely, if Iole were here alone, she would have had it barred? So, did that mean she had left? For what reason, though? Sighing softly, Cali tried her best to think of a logical solution, but nothing came to her. "I have a feeling she isn't here, but we might as well continue the search, anyway." She decided, unsure what else to do. Still puzzled, she led the way up the stairs.

Once each of the rooms were confirmed as being empty, she could think of nowhere else in the house to check. "I don't know." She frowned, feeling at a total loss for what to do next. A part of her wanted to do something, but the rest of her wanted to just get some sleep and hope that all would be clear when she woke up. Silently, she returned to the living room and set the lantern down on the coffee table. "I just can't think," She sighed with a mix of weariness and exasperation, then sank onto the end of the couch with her forehead resting in one hand, elbow resting on the arm of the couch. The knife was still in her other hand, forgotten for now.

@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

Cali smiled at the lieutenant's comment about the cat being beautiful. She quite agreed, and of course, she and Iole had gushed over the beautiful feline the moment they laid eyes on her. "No, we haven't thought of a name yet," She answered. "She's only been here a couple of days, but already we're very attached." She smiled. "Iole and I were already talking about getting a cat, and we'd noticed a few signs of mice, so when the guys found her the other day, it was perfect timing." She had been considering names, but also felt that perhaps Iole should be given first shot at naming her, since she had never been allowed to have a cat before. "Mice seem to be gone now," She added, partly for reassurance in case Arnyn was one of those who were squeamish about mice, but also in pride for the cat's hunting skills.

Retrieving the necessary number of mugs and glasses for the requested (and assumed) drinks from the cabinet, Trev was then reminded of what he had forgotten to ask about. "Oh, right.." He ought to have asked whether the lieutenant would like milk, or sugar, or anything else. "S'alright, we'll just bring the entire milk bottle." He decided. If none of the people present were interested in having any milk, then at least the cat would not be left out.

As Nal set off into the front room ahead of him, Trev took a moment to glance around, observing the 'state' that Nal had left the kitchen in. He wasn't keen on taking the time to tidy up this room, but thankfully there was, conveniently, a door that could be closed between the rooms. Good time to make use of it. And, well, 'make sure the door worked'.

Stepping out to the garden outside the back door, Trev swiftly plucked a lemon straight off the tree that was happily flourishing there, and ducked back inside. He grabbed a few other things, hastily, then followed Nal back to the living room. Since his friend had brought part of drinks on his makeshift tray, Trev brought all the rest. Between the two of them, they managed to accomplish it all in one trip. "I brought a lemon, in case you'd like some for your water," he mentioned to the lieutenant, having even thought to bring a knife to cut it with as well. "And milk, in case you wanted that for your coffee." he indicated the bottle. "Also sugar. Just in case. Forgot to ask," He added apologetically.

@Arnyn

Trevadir

Trev listened with intrigue as Macardil described the sort of place that he had in mind, and nodded slightly. "Yes, that definitely sounds interesting," He was somewhat eager to find some sort of job of that sort. Even if it wasn't steady work, it would be better than nothing. He didn't want to keep on having his friends support him, after all. While he couldn't help feeling a few uncertainties about whether he would be accepted at this place, it wouldn't hurt to at least try.

He had mentioned the ode thing mainly out of amusement, but after hearing Macardil's response, he sat back thoughtfully, considering this. "Hm. I hadn't really heard of any official proclamation, but I can check with Nal maybe. He could probably tell me." He shrugged. "Ah, well," he paused at the other part of the question. "Trastion says he's no good at music and all that sort of thing, so he'd really just be offering up his knowledge of the incident, as an eye witness. Nal may help a bit with the words.. I'm not sure, he hasn't really said specifically. I don't think Cali's all that interested in helping with this project. But, that's alright, I usually write all the words, and the tune, when I make up songs." He explained. "Although, it can be tricky, not having a way to hear both together at the same time." He shrugged, referring to the fact that he played the flute, and couldn't sing and play simultaneously. "Anyway, I've never done an ode before," He added hesitantly.

"But as for Cali, I'll ask her about that. If she's opposed to the idea, I could work it out so her name isn't used. But," he grinned. "I bet I could sell her on the idea if I point out how much that could help her make a name as a smith. She's got this idea that her father gave her about how people will think less of her being a smith, because of her being a girl." He rolled his eyes. "Actually... I didn't even know she was doing that, that she even knew how to do it, until last autumn." He had been quite impressed to learn this, and was further pleased to hear the news, at Midsummer, that she was working in the armory. "I'm not really surprised, of course, because it's in her family.. and she was always hanging around her father's forge, when she wasn't off playing with the rest of us. And her brothers all learned how to work the forge, so why not her?" He shrugged. "Still, she's not sure how well received she'd be if she tried to open up shop in the market. So, that could help get her a bit of 'fame' as a smith, perhaps."

Upon receiving an answer to his inquiry about the Hall of Song, Trev was inwardly amazed. He shook his head silently in reply when Macardil asked if he truly didn't know of this place. It had been around that long? They even did performances.. some free!? "I've never heard of it," He insisted, slightly wide-eyed. It sounded rather exciting, hearing what Macardil said about it. "Where is it though? Cause, I'm fairly sure I would've remembered any place like that, if I'd known about it. Especially, since I always wanted to try and find someone who could tell me what that instrument was called, that my grandfather used to play. And how to tune it." He had mentioned that briefly during the ride from Harlond, having been mildly disappointed after asking Macardil if he played anything besides the violin. If it was anywhere between the third and first circle, he was sure he would have known, so he reasoned that it had to be in one of the upper circles, where he rarely went as a child. That was the only solution that made sense to him.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

High Warden of Tower
Cadil
3rd Circle. On the Eve of Erulaitalë
With Unalmis

@Ercassie

Cadil kept his look on Nal's boot for a while longer, and could not quite decide whether he was relieved that his friend did not continue pushing him towards getting back into the whole Ranger business, or if he was disappointed for the same matter. While he had done everything to keep from thinking on the matter any more, every time Unalmis mentioned, he found himself doubting the decision not to ever step into the sixth circle. He let this topic drop out of his mind, as he always did, when Nal finally began to speak of what had brought him here.

"Uh... aha.." Cadil murmured and scratched his slightly stubbly chin. "You mean that the city guards have done nothing about the guy?" He quite believed that the man had probably disappeared as soon as possible at the sight of looming trouble, and yet... he frowned at a passing thought that if there were more guards like the one they had met at the gate, no criminal offences would get sorted at all.

"Does Cali think it would do any good to report again?" he asked, the frown deepening slightly. "Then again, if he has reappeared and really intends to get rid of witnesses, it might be worth it?"

The idea that the man would seek him out did not sit well with Cadil, yet - when it came to it - he did not want to prove useless again, not when it came to safety of his friends as well, not only his own. He slapped his hand on the floor next to him and asked in a low voice: "Anything I can do though? Besides harbouring all of you in a tree somewhere in the garden?" He flashed his white teeth in a grin to lighten the mood a bit. "And I can fetch the plantain. We have quite a lot of it growing by the path."

After a small pause, he added true to his current nature: "Want a snack or something too?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

"I think you should give it a try," he carefully encouraged his friend. "There is a first time for everything. The saying is a cliché for a reason. In the worst case scenario, you end up with a final product you think is of insufficient quality to actually perform it. Regardless, it will have been good practice. And in the best case scenario, you might create a gem that swoops the city," he finished with a disarming smile. "Fewer ways are better to make a name for yourself as a musician, Trevadir."

As for hearing both the words and the music together, Macardil hummed in thought. "Not sure if I could be of assistance there. I do not play the flute, and the violin doesn't always lend itself to a flute arrangement. I might try... My betrothed plays the flute, but I am unwilling to commit her involvement in her stead. I am not even sure whether she would be in favour of the enterprise," he added with a little glint of humour in his eyes.

'Oh, of course," he agreed with Trevadir, serious once more. "An song that includes 'Cali, the brave ranger smith' would made an excellent name for her in the city. If she works for the Rangers long enough with good results, and then decides to open up shop in the marketplace when a song like that has been making the rounds... I dare say she will not know what to do with herself. People will look for reasons to have her do some work for them, just to meet her," he said confidently. He had seen how those things worked in Belfalas. And in Minas Tirith as well. Reputation could make or break you. That seemed to be a rule wherever you went. "Once she performs those jobs well, the work will keep coming in."

The response to his more detailed information about the Hall of Song was almost entertaining. Macardil hid a smile behind his glass. "It is in the Fifth Circle, friend. We could take your grandfather's instrument there and ask around. You are sure to learn your answers. Even if you no longer have it, we might gain answers from visiting some of the shops. If you remember what it looks like."

@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

"I can see why," Arnyn smiled when Cali said they were already attached to their new pet. "Beautiful and functional," she summarized, with an amused glance at Unalmis, remembering his comment. "In more ways than one." Both for the mice and to keep Cali resting her leg.

The Lieutenant was mildly impressed with the kindness of her hosts as they brought out everything she had asked for and then some. She blinked in response to Trevadir's statement about having brought a lemon, but she need not wait to hear why as he filled in the blank immediately. "For my water," she repeated, slowly, processing as her eyes fell to the glass on the cutting board. And milk for her coffee. And sugar, if she wanted any.

Whatever she had expected... it had not been this. Not a welcome like this, which was not only very polite, but also friendly. Warm, even. "Thank you." While she managed to hide her surprise expertly, she could not keep her words of gratitude from coming out more quietly. Smiling at her own reaction first, she then smiled up at the men. "Such gracious hosts!" she declared. "I do take milk in my coffee. No sugar. No lemon, either." Her smile grew. She did not have much opportunity anymore for silliness, in a relaxed situation like this - as if she were around friends. Since the opportunity presented itself now, she took it with both hands, quite intentionally following up on the offer for some lemon in the wrong drink. "Unless you feel like I am missing out?" Arnyn calmly regarded both Unalmis and Trevadir. Was that a hint of a challenge in that minutely raised eyebrow? "If one of you will take lemon in your coffee, I promise to do the same."

How bad could it be?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

Cali smiled as she petted the cat lightly, the feline's soft purring audible to those in the room. Yet, Nal's claim that the cat was meant for a twofold purpose brought an eye roll from Cali. "Yes, because they totally knew when they found her that they were going to need to find some way to keep me resting," she mentioned with good-natured sarcasm. "You know, before my injury happened..." She made clearer to Arnyn with a little grin. "Still, she was in need of a home and we were hoping to get a cat sooner or later. And after Nal's vicious monster terrified the poor thing half to death, she needed a lot of love and cuddles," she added with a teasing glance toward Unalmis. She was kidding of course. Hattie was sweet and loveable, despite being a bit too hyper and excitable most of the time. Rather like Nal, actually...

Noticing how Trev had brought just about everything imaginable from the kitchen, Cali couldn't help watching him thoughtfully as he offered lemon, milk, and sugar to the lieutenant, as if anxious to satisfy anything she might ask for. It was very hospitable of him, of course, and Arnyn seemed somewhat surprised, as well as appreciative. Yet, knowing her friend as she did (despite the last five year's absence), she suspected that he must be feeling a bit nervous about this. He looked (to Cali) like he was trying not to fidget awkwardly as Arnyn seemed a bit caught off guard about the lemon he'd offered for her water. She was surprised he hadn't brought the cookies in here, but then, his hands had been full.

"Trev," Cali spoke softly to get his attention. With a little motion of her head, she summoned him closer. Once he had leaned closer, she whispered quietly in his ear, so only he would hear her. "You do realize that she is not the one who bit me?"

Trev looked at Cali with a puzzled expression after hearing her words, wondering what that was supposed to mean.

She laughed quietly at the look of bafflement and explained, in a slightly less hushed whisper, "Relax. She isn't going to bite you." She grinned at him, and was relieved to see him smile and roll his eyes in reply.

Turning back to Arnyn as she declared them to be gracious hosts, Trevadir blinked at the very casual way she declined having lemon in her coffee, as if that was what he'd just suggested. Was that a joke? He definitely hadn't expected any jokes from her, and his small smile began to grow a little with amusement as she went on to entertain the idea, asking if it was something she was missing out on. When she actually presented a challenge, he couldn't help laughing. "Don't look at me, I'm drinking lemonade," He answered, but looked at Nal with a grin. Nal was the big coffee drinker of their group, and also one of the most likely to try new, unusual things of this sort. "What about you?" He asked his friend with a little glint of mischievousness in his eyes.

While it did sound rather weird, he was rather intrigued to hear the lieutenant present such a challenge, and it definitely seemed like an opportunity that should not be passed up. "Dare you." He added, hoping the dare alone would be enough to push Nal to go for it, if the lieutenant's challenge wasn't. Because Trev was rather curious to see this. After all, if it turned out to be absolutely terrible, they could always just dump it out and get a fresh cup of coffee, right?

@Arnyn

Trevadir

Trevadir smiled at the suggestion that he ought to give it a try. "If nothing else, it's a fun project." He agreed, shrugging. "If I don't think it's good enough to perform, I'd just keep working at it until I feel it is." He added with a slight grin. He wasn't so sure he wanted to try to 'make a name' for himself, just yet. There were a few things he felt he ought to do, first. Like talking with his brother and grandmother. Making sure Dev wouldn't be able to grab him or Toby. Making sure people around the city didn't believe him to be a criminal. Stuff like that.

As Macardil agreed wholeheartedly about Cali and the song potentially making her famous, Trev grinned. "Yeah. I'll definitely win her over that way." He decided, feeling quite confident about how to convince his friend to get on board with this project. She had mentioned that her plan was to work in the ranger armory for some time, to show people she was not only capable of the work, but quite good at it, too. And then, once she had proven herself, she would reclaim her father's forge and make it her own. So, this would help with that.

He was curious, however, when Macardil said he didn't think he'd be of any assistance in this project, just because flute and violin were different. "Why would that be a problem?" He wondered, trying to think of a reason why the two instruments could not play the same tune. "Music is music, right? The tune would be the same, wouldn't it? Regardless of what instrument is used to play it." He was derailed from that line of thought, however, when he heard that Macardil's betrothed played the flute as well. And suddenly, he recalled something from the Midsummer dance. "Ohh," he blinked. "That lady at midsummer, who started playing a flute but wasn't on the stage with you and the other musicians... was that your betrothed?" He asked curiously, figuring that would make sense. He hadn't actually paid much attention to the musicians, or anyone else really, after his friends caught up to him, but he did remember that much. "That was when I realized it was probably alright for me to play along, too." He added with a little smile.

He grew thoughtful as Macardil revealed that the Hall of Song was in the fifth level. This very level, in fact! "Ah... that explains it," He mentioned thoughtfully with a slow nod. "Strangely, I never really did much exploring on this level," he realized suddenly how unusual that was, considering how much exploring the whole group had done everywhere else. "Hmm.. I never realized there was anything to do up here, I just thought it was a lot of houses and some shops that we couldn't afford to buy from, and.. the place where my grandma worked.. but she told us not to bother her at work, so we didn't. I think there was a park we played in sometimes, but.. that's it." He shrugged with a slightly sheepish smile. "There didn't seem to be much reason to come up to the fifth, except to pass through to the sixth, where Iole lived. Which.. well, she more often came down to the lower levels to play with us," He admitted. "And school was on the third, so she had to come down that far anyway, most days. Now, I'm quite sorry to hear that I missed out on something amazing," He was very intrigued about this place, now, and tried to imagine where it might be.

His smile widened though at the mention of bringing his grandfather's instrument there, to finally identify it. That would be very exciting, indeed! But he hesitated slightly. "It's at my grandma's house," At least, he assumed that she would still have it tucked away safely. "But, I definitely remember what it looked like, so I could describe it. Or, maybe I could even sketch it," He added thoughtfully. "Roughly, anyway. I'm not as good at sketches as.. Cali is." He had been going to say 'Ryn was', but changed his mind, unsure quite how to bring up Ryn without bringing down the mood by explaining that tragedy. "But, I should be able to manage that, I think." He was already picturing the many-stringed instrument in his head, trying to remember how many strings it was supposed to have. He remembered that there were a couple of them missing, last time he saw it.

@Rillewen @Arnyn

Unalmis Raxëlilta

Unalmis flickered a brief smile, in response to the Lieutenant’s ‘Hello’, which was swiftly contorted into a short of laughter as Cali said her piece.

What can I say ?” he shrugged and then trialled. “The truth is that we’d promised to bring back whatever we caught in the brook, for supper. But my ‘vicious beast’ of course devoured all and any evidence of our almighty haul. Thankfully the womenfolk forgave us for the utter absence of fish,” he concluded, very seriously. “and promptly forgot all about us in fact, while they 'cooed' and 'cuddled' ..the fluffy compensation over there.” He rolled brown eyes as his voice tried on a mimicry in this last, of the supposed coddling which the ‘womenfolk’ had managed. “Beautiful and functional,” after clearing his throat he agreed, with a nod and with Arnyn. “In more ways than one.

The ludicrous account might have been enough of a distraction at least to keep their guest from observing Cali so subtly reassuring Trevadir. The feast of refreshments though had likely done a rather better job at that than Nal might ever manage. The Ranger thus was able to make his way right around to stand behind Cali as Trevadir took centre stage in his turn and brandished his fruit drink soon after as an alibi to escape their Guest's surprise.

A dare ? A challenge .. Unalmis did not instantly glance up, from where he had just handed ‘Queen Beruthiel’ a drink of her own. It was either that, after all, or see that injured young woman have to reach across the .. cat .. for it. Still the surprises, with this Officer ...

You know me,” the young man observed though, leisurely. “I’ll try anything once.” As he made toward the lemon and the knife though, Unalmis watched Arnyn almost suspiciously, from one turned eye. He could not help his thinking this must be some sort of payback, for what had happened to Trastion .. and the coffee of the day before. But if anything, the truth of that incident ought to have proved he'd drunk cold coffee before now. And there was likely little that would prove more foul than that.

The dare as well as the lemon then he took up, and manipulated the fruit deftly in one hand to sever it into two before thoughtfully handing one half, with a very serious nod, back to Trevadir. What bitter peril remained in his grasp, Nal crushed in his palm into a fleshy pulp of dripping, that slunk into the unsuspecting coffee like a reluctant bather into a cold sea. A seed he plucked out from where it was floating on the surface, and manfully realised he ought to have used a spoon to do that, only after he’d burned his fingers.

What followed was a build up on anticipation, the slow draw of the mug toward taste. Perhaps to allow it time to cool some, for he rarely drank his coffee this quickly. A gallery of expressions then cavorted across his face, one after the other, which gave away not a true indication of the reaction, but fifteen at the very least. And then, lowering the cup back to the table, Unalmis swallowed, and met the Lieutenant’s gaze.

That ..” he promised, “will wake your senses.” A tilt of the head made some consideration though, as he added, “It isn’t quite like coffee, or like lemon either. But you can scarcely taste what else is in there at all.

Two fingers encouraged the other, as yet unspoilt, brew slowly across the small table, toward Arnyn, almost politely. There was no need to reiterate the vow, the dare, the promise .. not in words at least. 'The same', she had sworn. It remained to be seen. Regardless, it did not escape Nal's notice that this silliness was painting their gathering as more casual, less concerning. He smiled then and would have shook his head in a quiet amusement at the woman's smarts, if he did not think the gesture might somehow put off the officer from keeping to her end of the bargain.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

Macardil slightly raised his glass of water to Trevadir when the young man said he would simply keep improving on the song until it was worthy to put to an audience. He appreciated tenacity.

"Yes, music is music," he smiled in response to his friend's question. "And... I suppose the violin and the flute do both play in the key of C... treble clef." He was speaking more slowly now, as he considered a few things. "It would sound better with specifically written notes for the violin but it would not be off key and may very well suffice for the purpose of hearing the notes and the words together." Narrowing his eyes slightly at Trevadir - not in any negative way; just thoughtful - Macardil then gave a small nod. "I can try. If you wish. But I cannot promise not to transform the flute notes into an arrangement that sounds just a bit better with the violin... in time." He smiled disarmingly. "Then again perhaps you might like an additional score for your ode. Then you would have both a flute and a violin arrangement."

His smile changed when Trevadir asked about the 'lady at midsummer who started playing a flute'. "Yes - although at Midsummer she was not yet my betrothed." Not that it had taken much longer. He hid yet another kind of smile behind his glass. "Her name is Karis Ziranphel." That might be better than to keep referring to Ziran as merely his betrothed. For she was so much more than only that. "She did well to join in, for more than one reason. If it helped you to start playing as well. It is one of the best memories I have of playing at the festival. With the two of you spontaneously adding your music to ours."

"Depending on your schedule, we can go and take a look at the Hall of Song. Or you can venture out by yourself if you prefer. Regardless, I am sure it will draw you back from time to time. It is quite irresistable for musicians." The opinion was not just his own - though it was true that most of the musicians he knew, he had met in the Hall of Song proper. Which meant they had at least seen it once, if not regularly. "You might not even need a sketch, to be honest. Of course, anything you would prepare could be helpful."

@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

"Sometimes our friends do not need us to be injured to think we need to take a break," Arnyn responded to Cali, with an almost indiscernable eye roll. She had lost count of all the times Pele had asked or commented something along the lines of how she should not forget to rest once in a while. "But I can rest all I want when I'm dead," Arnyn said firmly. There was always so much to do.

"Nal's vicious monster?" she asked, before recognition lit up her dark brown eyes. "Oh, you mean Hattie?" The Lieutenant couldn't help the quick grin that flashed over her face. Her eyes surveyed the living room again and her ears listened to Unalmis' version of bringing the cat home, while Cali said something to Trevadir that was clearly meant to be private. She caught the follow up to the words - yet Arnyn chose to keep her expression smooth. As if she had heard nothing at all.

It was slightly disappointing to hear Trevadir decline the challenge of drinking coffee with lemon. However, Trevadir daring Unalmis... Arnyn's gaze expectantly settled on the only other ranger in the room. A faint smile played around her lips as she awaited Unalmis' reply - and thus the sealing of her own fate. For she would not go back on her word. Her smile grew at Unalmis' reply, even though it remained measured and under control.

An acceptance of the challenge. The entering into the dare. As if it were the most normal thing in the world and Unalmis did not think much of it at all. Arnyn remained silent. She crossed her legs instead, intrigued as she watched Unalmis take lemon and knife to hand and cut the fruit into two halves. The way the ranger let the lemon drip into his coffee was an interesting combination of casual indifference and dramatic bravery, the Lieutenant noted analytically. She slanted her head as he plucked something out and then calmly brought the beverage to his lips.

The range of subsequent expressions left her none the wiser, as she was sure it was intended to do. When Unalmis' brown eyes met her own, Arnyn's smile faded as she tuned into his verbal assessment. "Hmm." Such was her limited response - at least in the way of sound. She watched Unalmis' eyes rather than his movements when he edged the other cup of coffee to her. Still black. As if there could be any doubt it would remain as such.
His smile, then, drew forth one of her own. Did he realise what she was doing? Yet the motion of her arm and hand was not at all casual as she stretched it out toward Trevadir without looking at him. Her gaze remained on the one who had taken up her challenge - Unalmis - as she wordlessly demanded the other half of the lemon, which was currently in Trevadir's possession.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

"Yeah, I've noticed the same," Cali remarked thoughtfully, in agreement with Arnyn's comment about friends thinking breaks were necessary. If she had a coin for every time one of her friends or her mother told her to take a break from her work, she'd probably be rich. She grinned at the woman's latter comment. "That is the best time for it, isn't it?" She agreed with amusement. Still, she was content to pet the cat and listen to her purring for now.

"Oh, thank you." She smiled in some surprise as Nal handed her a cup of tea. She had not expected that, but it was appreciated. Her prior cup of tea had been depleted shortly before Arnyn's arrival, and despite her teasing, she hated to constantly ask for this or that and treat the guys as if they were there to serve her. A laugh followed as he related his version of the story. "Yes, Hattie," She confirmed with a little smile. "Poor kitty here was terrified. But I'm sure Hattie only wanted to play." She rolled her eyes slightly at the dog's overzealous excitement, and watched with quiet amusement as the two rangers in their midst set about experimenting with a 'new coffee flavor'.

A grin spread across Trev's face at the recollection of that rather humorous adventure. Chasing Hattie around, who was chasing the cat.. then climbing up a tree to retrieve the frightened feline whilst the other held back the playful pup... all the while their fish cooking a little overlong on the fire. The chaos had been unexpected and yet hilarious by its conclusion. The return to the city had quite dampened their mood, however, upon learning about the fire up in the ranger barracks, and the fact that Cali had been injured while they were off having a fun camp out in the Pelennor.

Watching his friend take up the dare without blinking an eye, Trevadir grinned slightly and stood back, holding onto the other half of the lemon for now. While some things might have changed in his absence, other things definitely had not, and he was privately quite delighted that this was not one of them. The range of expressions that flitted across his friend's face was nothing short of comical, and Trev found himself shaking his head slightly in amusement. At Unalmis' declaration that it would 'wake your senses', Trev finally grinned. "I think I'll stick with orange juice for my morning drinks," He laughed, and watched his friend slide the other cup toward the lieutenant, a silent indication that it was her turn now. Now this should be amusing, Trev thought. As she stuck out her hand to request the other half of the lemon, Trev tried (and failed) to hold back a grin as he placed it with mock solemnity into her outstretched hand, then rubbed his palm on his hip before folding his arms, leaning on the arm of the couch near Cali, to watch how Lt. Dealedwen would react to the unusual flavor combo.

@Arnyn

Trevadir

Trev tilted his head slightly in mild confusion as Macardil started talking about things he didn't understand. Key of sea? Trouble cliff? He was further unsure what he meant about transforming the notes for violin, but began to realize what he was probably talking about. Stuff that Trev never had a chance to learn about. He felt his face getting slightly warmer with the awkward realization he didn't know things he probably should know, if he was going to call himself a musician. He glanced down and focused his gaze on the glass of water. "Right, the..note stuff." He muttered with a small nod, and cleared his throat. "You could write up.. whatever works for you. Sure. Um," he hesitated. "I.. I don't have any of it written down," he admitted, trying to think how to make this work. "It's.. mostly in my head, and.." He shrugged. "Sort of.. well I'd have to just play the tune, you know? And, I don't know. Can you pick it up like that? Just hearing it?" He'd never known any other way of doing music, but it occurred to him that maybe other people, who'd had lessons and learned to play 'properly', might do it differently than him.

Despite the moment of awkwardness, he couldn't help noticing how Macardil smiled differently when talking about his betrothed. Trev smiled back, thinking he looked quite happy. He nodded slightly to hear the lady's name. Perhaps he might meet her sometime, but even if he didn't, it was surely better to refer to her by her name. His smile widened a bit when Macardil said that when both Trev and Karis joined in playing, had been the best part of Midsummer. "It was fun, playing along." He grinned. "One of the songs was my grandmother's favorite, and I hadn't heard it in a long time. But it was nice to refresh my memory on how to play it." He sighed, smiling. "I'd have kept playing all night, except my friends found me. And.. we had to talk." He left that bit vague, since there was no reason to detail all of that discussion, and he and Macardil had still been strangers at that point so he probably hadn't really paid much attention to what was going on with Trevadir.

"My schedule?" He smiled. "At this point, I have no schedule. I'm.. just trying to figure out what to do with myself, right now. I might meet Cali and walk her home later, but that's not for hours. So, if you have the time, I would definitely love to go and see the Hall of Song, now or whenever you have the time." He wasn't entirely sure that he'd be able to find the place on his own, but for now he considered the sketch idea, then nodded and pulled a small notepad from a pocket, along with a pencil. He usually used it for writing down ideas for songs but he could use it for this too. He flipped to a page that had no writing on it. "I think I could do a rough sketch, that would probably be reasonably recognizable." He smiled and focused for a moment on getting the shape of the instrument's outline to look the same as what was in his mind's eye, from memory.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

With Trevadir being the only other person there besides himself, and with Macardil's perceptive nature, it wasn't lost on the former Ranger that Trevadir was uncomfortable. Mildly put. Upon Trevadir's question, Macardil nodded. "Yes. I should be able to pick it up like that. And I can write down the notes for the flute for you, if you like. Should you ever forget... unlikely as though that would be." He smiled. "At least you would have something to fall back on." Even if Trevadir would not be able to read the notes himself, he could ask someone else to play it for him, to refresh his memory for example. Part of him did not want to spend time on the subject any longer, to save his friend from further embarrassment. Because even though Macardil saw no reason for Trevadir to be embarrassed for not knowing how the notes are written, and by consequence probably also not knowing how to talk about them, it was clear that Trevadir felt he was lacking in that department. The other part of Macardil Himhathol... well...

"One of the songs was your grandmother's favorite?" he asked. "Which one was that?" He did not know whether he would ever need this grain of knowledge. But if the court of Dol Amroth and noble circles in Belfalas had taught him anything, it was how such little grains could make a difference.

"Well." Rising from his seat on the couch, he looked down at his friend with a smile. "Since my next activity was to be music, anyway... Let us go now. I would enjoy showing you around." He only waited a moment before making his way to the kitchen, to put his now empty water glass into the sink. Once Trevadir had caught up with him, Macardil headed for the front door, revisiting a topic that might take a few seconds for Trevadir to realize to what Macardil was suddenly back-tracking. "Do you want to learn?" he asked off-handedly.

@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

Once she felt the weight of the other half of the lemon in her hand, the right corner of Arnyn's mouth twitched up a little more. Just for a second. Then she moved her hand with the lemon to hover over the cup which was now closeby on the low table. Her eyes flicked to the cup and the lemon. She squeezed, allowing the lemon juice to drip into the coffee. First some. Then more. More still.

Her hand had gotten partially wet in the process. But it was only lemon juice, and she could wash or wipe it off later. She rested the wrist of that hand on her knee and picked up the coffee with lemon with her other, leaning forward. Right before the cup reached her lips, she looked back up at Unalmis and blew over the coffee. Arnyn took a sip.

She fought the urge to wrinkle her nose at the unusual taste. It was... by all accounts... black coffee with lemon. The lemon made the dark brew less bitter, like milk did - something Arnyn was glad for. For while she loved coffee with some milk added to it, she didn't love it as much when it was all black. With the lemon, the coffee was not... terrible. But she would actually prefer to drink it black. And that said enough, really. She did not want to drink any more of this combination than she had to - it was not to her liking.

However.

She put the cup to her lips again, for another sip. A bigger one. Gulping it down was as of yet impossible - the drink was still too hot for that. Keeping the second sip in her mouth for a while, she looked thoughtful as she seemed to be evaluating the taste. After swallowing, she shook her head and pressed her lips together. "Zesty," she managed. "It might be an acquired taste." The Lieutenant slanted her head with a mischievous smile. "We owe it to the sake of the experiment to finish the whole cup, though, before passing judgment. First impressions are not always correct, after all." Her dark brown eyes were steady as she assessed Unalmis' reaction to those words.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Trevadir

The offer to write down the notes for him was quite unexpected. Trevadir hesitated and took a moment to try and decide how to answer that. He had seen pages filled with all those lines and dots and many other little symbols, but had no idea how to make sense of them, and it had always seemed quite mysterious and complicated to him. He was well aware that if Macardil did write the notes down in that fashion, Trevadir would have no idea how to read it, if he had by some chance forgotten the tune or something. But... it also occurred to him that maybe he could gain the first clues to deciphering the mystery of the dots, if he already knew the tune. He slowly nodded in thought at that idea. "Sure, if you wouldn't mind," He agreed thoughtfully.

He was distracted from the thought, however, when Macardil asked which song it was that his grandmother liked so much. "Oh," He paused, thinking back. "I can't remember the name of it," he admitted with a small frown. "But, it was that slow-ish one that you played, the last one before I stopped playing along." He remembered that was about the time he had decided to leave before getting into another confrontation with Nal.. which had turned out to be not quite like he expected.

Still, he doubted that those little bits of information would be enough for Macardil to pinpoint which of the many songs was the one he was thinking of. Therefore, Trev paused to think for a moment. "Sounded like this," He said, before humming the tune briefly, enough to give Macardil an idea which one he was referring to. "Sort of a waltz-y sort of tune. I think my grandfather used to play it a lot, or they danced to it at their wedding, or something like that, I don't remember exactly..." He sighed, regretting not paying closer attention to such tales she'd told. Alas, he had not been quite as interested in listening to all his grandmother's stories, as he had been in going outside to play with his friends.

A small smile lit up his face as Macardil stood and suggested going now to the Hall of Song. It hadn't taken long to sketch out the shape of the instrument, and add several lines to show strings, so his sketch was complete in no time. Following his host's example of rising to his feet, Trevadir swiftly drained what was left of his water glass with a long swallow, before following him to the kitchen. No sense in wasting the water, after all. Letting the glass join the other, he caught up with Macardil and was about to ask if he planned to bring his violin, when he was met with a question aimed at himself.

Trev paused, glancing at him with a slightly inquisitive look. Learn? Learn what? Then it dawned on him, and he blinked in slight surprise. "Oh." So, Macardil had caught on to that, it seemed. Trev wasn't sure how to reply for a moment, and cleared his throat. "Umm," He hesitated, then smiled slightly awkwardly. No sense denying it, right? "Well.. I was sort of thinking, that if you wrote down the.. notes? to a tune I already knew, maybe I could figure it out from there. Like, a code." He grinned slightly as he walked along with him. "Hard to crack a code unless you have the key.. but once you have that, it's not so hard. You know?" He shrugged and looked down at the notepad still in his hand. "I have my own.. method of sorts, for keeping track of all the tunes I make up. But, I doubt anyone but me would make much sense of it. And it definitely wouldn't work for any other instrument but the flute." He explained.

"But.. I only write down the ones that I'm totally satisfied with, when I'm done making adjustments, and all that. So, the one I'm still working on is not in here yet, except for the words." He looked back up from the book, and at Macardil. "But, yes, if I can.. if it's not too much trouble.. it would be nice to learn." He added quietly, but sincerely.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan w/ Cali
Third Level
2 days after Midsummer events
@Rillewen

He was glad she agreed with him and watched as she grabbed a knife, the latern in her other hand she raised so they could see better. He followed her through the first floor of the house noting the front door wasn’t barred. He nodded when she suggested they search up stairs.

The stairs creaked occasionally under his weight but he tried to watch his step and followed her once again through the various empty rooms. He could tell she was becoming upset at not finding her friend or any evidence of where she might have gone. Once more down the stairs they went.

She collapsed on the couch and he came to stand before her at seeing her hold her head in her hand, clearly exhausted and out of ideas. He kneeled before her to come eye level with her. He gently reached for and took the knife from her fingers. “Firstly, let’s put that away.” He set it on the near table and returned his attention to her.

“You’re exhausted, why don’t you go close your eyes for a-bit. I’ll stand guard and wake you if anything or anyone shows up. It won’t help you any to go chasing after her while you’re tired and really have no idea where to go from here.” He gave her a moment to consider it before continuing. “You may walk on your own or I’ll carry you up there. Your choice.”He half smiled as he tried to make light of the situation but his words were a promise, he’d carry her if
necessary.

@Rillewen @Arnyn

Unalmis Raxëlilta

There had been many occasions in his life where it had been difficult for Unalmis to keep a straight face. This was the very latest. Recalling to mind almost repeatedly, every few seconds in fact so that he would not forget, that this was a Lieutenant in front of him, the Second-in-Command of his work place no less; he did manage to subdue the more wild suggestions and unruly laughter that might otherwise have escaped him. It was not the sort of restraint he had expected to face during this meeting.

He even waited to lick the juice off his palm with his tongue until Arnyn had turned her attention briefly to her cup. Having turned offside just slightly, briefly, to face Cali in order to accomplish this, Nal knew his friend would be neither surprised nor outraged to spy his (lack of) manners, but might even be too intrigued by her more surprising guest to even notice.

As even more astounding tales about Arnyn had been circulating since the first time she had shocked him, it was less of a surprise that the officer held up her end of the dare. A woman who does not hold back from facing down an enchanted wolf, or Lieutenant Brian for that matter, did not strike him as somebody who would shy away from a drinking game. Still, Unalmis exchanged an amused glance with Trevadir, to glean from the other’s expression that he was not simply imagining all this. For of course, Arnyn did not disappoint. Though to be fair, if she had spat the contents of her cup across the table or been violently sick upon the floor, he would not have been disappointed either. Until Cali no doubt would have made him clean it up.

Time is often telling,” he agreed to her proposal that they finish their respective elixirs. “But if you.. Unalmis raised an eyebrow to recall Trev and his own contribution; “.. are thinking of adding in orange juice next, well that is going to have to wait until the next round ..

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Macardil
Fifth Circle - home

He smiled when Trevadir hummed the tune. "The crested hens," he nodded. "Do not ask me why it is called as such... It is a lovely tune, however. And very suitable to link to sweet memories."

"Trying to crack the code yourself would be admirable," Macardil said with some surprise as he eyed Trevadir, as if re-assessing his friend. "But perhaps unnecessary. You have pointed out your own lack of a schedule. I have made a schedule for myself, but it is far from full." He opened the door and gestured to indicate Trevadir could step out. The weather was warm and there was no need for additional layers. "We can work on it." All they would have to do is set a regular time to meet to do so. "Truth be told, I would not mind spending time with a friend on a regular basis." He thankfully focused on the door as he locked it with his key. "The social activity would actually be most welcome," he added, the words more quiet than before.

When he turned back to Trevadir, it was as if he had not spoken them at all. "Let us go, then." With a nod in the right direction, he started them off.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

The way Lt. Dealedwen went about squeezing the juice into her coffee with such mock solemnity made it rather difficult not to grin. Trevadir, in particular, was failing in that regard. His glance at Nal told him that he was definitely not the only one finding this whole scenario quite funny. Cali, too, was watching with amusement and slight amazement, her hand temporarily ceasing to stroke the feline. The cat, in turn, nudged Cali's hand with her nose as if to remind her of what she was 'supposed to be doing'. She smiled slightly and resumed her duty as a cat-owner, but continued to watch the show.

As the lieutenant braved one sip, then another, Trev's grin widened as he waited to hear the verdict about it from her perspective. At last, it came. Zesty. He laughed lightly. "I've heard of coffee having some acidity, but not like that." He grinned, shaking his head slightly in amusement. Mostly, because of how dramatic she had made the whole thing. Taking a pause here, a slow sip there. It hadn't really occurred to him before he met this lady, that a lieutenant of anything could be funny. Especially after certain things that he remembered hearing about another lieutenant who used to run the barracks and made all those folks miserable.

Rolling her eyes as she witnessed her friend licking his palm, shortly after the other had literally wiped the lemon juice off on the side of his trousers, Cali held back a sigh of exasperation, and shook her head slightly at the boy. It was very hard not to think of him as a boy when he behaved like one, after all. She couldn't help being mildly amused at the thought of what each of their grandmothers would say to such manners, but decided not to comment, and instead kept her attention on their guest.

The mere suggestion, joking or otherwise, of adding orange juice in next, caught Trev just as he was taking a sip of lemonade. He choked a little, coughing to clear the drink from his airways, as he burst into something that was a cross between a coughing fit and a laughing fit. He had to actually set his glass of lemonade down before he spilled it. "Ohhhhh.. Orange-coffee. Now that would be hilarious!" He declared, once able to speak again.

"Now, look what you did, Nal." Cali scolded, teasingly. "You alright, Trev?" She grinned.

"Yeah, fine," He was smiling still as he cleared his throat, the acidic drink making it feel a little raw. "Too bad there isn't any more orange juice..." he had finished it off that morning, unfortunately. But that made him think of something, and glanced at Nal. "We're going to have to find an orange tree, you know." He declared. It was a fact. No debating about it. "It'd probably grow nicely beside the lemon tree..."

"Would you like a towel or something for your hand, Arnyn?" Cali asked, slightly amused but trying to be more focused on the needs of their guest. She had noticed the lieutenant resting her hand in such a way as not to get the juice on herself, and realized she probably had lemon juice all over it. The hint was aimed at either of the boys, in hopes of inspiring at least one of them to remember some form of manners.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Isolde Alarion

Cali Dringolben
Third level

Her hand relinquished the small weapon as Mourgan took charge of it, suggesting putting it away. Cali held back a sigh, nodding slightly without lifting her head from her hand. After a moment, she lifted her eyes to look at Mourgan as he suggested standing guard while she took a nap. The first thought to cross her mind was 'how can I sleep without knowing if Iole is safe?' But before she could open her mouth to let those words out, Mourgan continued on to make a very good point. She had no idea where to look. And the more she struggled to think, the wearier she felt. It was hard to believe she had actually intended to work at the forge, this tired.

The next thought was to wonder how Iole might react if she returned home and found Mourgan standing guard. While in other circumstances, it might be a little amusing to think about, she knew Iole was likely not in any state of mind to be amused by being met with a stranger in this hiding place they had claimed for themselves. She managed a tired smile in response to Mourgan's last comment. "I think it might be better if I stay down here," She protested quietly, trying to come up with a solution to that problem. The couch was a comfortable enough place for a nap, and it would be easier to wake her quickly if someone, like Iole or Nal, did show up.

A small frown crossed her face then as she recalled the state of the back door. "Is there any way to barricade the door again?" She wondered, with a small nod toward the other room where the kitchen door probably lay hanging off its hinges. As it was, anyone could just come inside, and that made her uneasy. They were definitely going to have to get the door fixed, she realized with regret, already trying to think of how to go about that without it becoming a big problem.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

She grinned at the idea of adding orange juice to the next round, and kept herself from laughing when Trevadir all but choked in his lemonade. Apt. Her eyes laughed at his response and Cali's caring reaction to it. The smith's question made her look down at her hand before looking back up, first at Cali and then at Unalmis and Trevadir. "Well. If there are no oranges left to squeeze, a towell might be nice," she agreed. "If the doing of the dishes has left all towels thread-bare, however, I can always resort to other methods, such as hand-licking or wiping it off on my clothes," she observed in a light tone of voice while glancing at Cali, intentionally not looking at the men who had done just that, earlier.

"I have a feeling orange juice might be a better fit," she mused out loud. "Not sure why." Maybe it was because she would rather combine oranges with chocolate than lemons with chocolate. Not that chocolate was coffee. Mmhm. Well. Sometimes, even Arnyn's thoughts did not quite make sense. "Next time, perhaps," she added, with a minutely raised eyebrow in Unalmis' direction. "They have both coffee and oranges at the mess, you know." Of course Unalmis would know. It could be construed, therefore, as a hint. Or even a suggestion?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

@Rillewen @Arnyn

Unalmis Raxëlilta

Oh he’s fine, he’s fine,Unalmis rolled his eyes for Cali’s benefit, even as Trevadir himself affirmed that he was indeed, fine. And had survived the strange series of events thus far, to the point even of planning further in the future. “Our next great adventure to be sure,” the young Ranger agreed though with the musician, and with a resolute nod.

The very notion of a quest to obtain some source of oranges was yet more evidence that his friend had nurtured a new obsession during his time at sea. The thrill of exploring exotic new markets and also the importance of not dying from scurvy, .. it made sense of course. And, as one of the less concerning consequences of Trev’s 'excursions' abroad, the group had done their best to accommodate the preference. It seemed a small thing was still able to bring about much joy.

A mission it shall be, second only to Isildur’s securing a seed from Nimloth !Nal supposed with a laugh, and an overly dramatic tone, which he then dropped, as their hostess struggled to keep them all in order.

Rising to oblige the need, if Arnyn should concede one, for the towel which Cali suggested, Unalmis paused even in the act of straightening up, when he caught the Lieutenant’s subtle reference to their own, less proper ‘cleaning’ habits. She had seen that ?! He froze his face in Trevadir’s direction, sure that the other young man would be as astounded as he. That no rebuke had come from the observation ..

I’ll find you .. something .. for that,” he promised then, remembering himself (and how far Cali could usually manage to fling things at him, even without getting up). “Next time ..,” he added on though, extending an index finger in Arnyn’s direction, to meet her proposed extension of the drink dares game. They had both coffee and oranges in the Mess, yes. They also tended to have Lieutenants there .. though Nal was starting to suspect that would be more of a help than hindrance to hilarity, at least until the healers lost their patience with Brian. And maybe even after the prude was unleashed back into their midst.

Amused, and still somewhat astounded, the young man escaped the room, keen to take up this errand himself, mostly for fear that anyone else would see the state he’d left the kitchen in. When he returned shortly after a percussion of ‘hunting’ sounds; doors opening and closing, drawers being drawn out to show their wares, a very pretty doily was the best that had been found.

You don’t want to know what state the towels are already in,” he explained, and assured the room, handing the less than conventional offering to Arnyn, whilst avoiding Cali’s expression in particular.
Last edited by Ercassie on Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

A grin widened across Trevadir's face at the prospect of a 'great adventure' to procure a sapling of an orange tree. Indeed, it would be grand to have unlimited access to either variety of citrus, whenever they liked. Plus, until such time as he could fund the oranges needed for making orange juice on a regular basis, he would feel bad for how many of the fruits his friends were buying to satisfy him. Thus, he tried to be content with anything lemon-related that the group could contrive, though oranges were by far a more pleasant choice for eating. Perhaps later, he might have a chance to introduce yet more varieties of citrus to his friends...

The lieutenant's comment, however, startled him out of his thoughts on the matter. He cast a swift glance at his friend, seeing that Nal looked equally surprised. For a brief second, Trev wore an expression much like he might display as a small boy, having been caught with a hand in the cookie jar. Then cleared his throat and tried to pretend like it didn't happen.

Cali grinned slightly, and couldn't help observing the two guys in her peripheral vision. "You shouldn't need to resort to such drastic measures," She assured the lieutenant. "There are plenty of towels." There had been a wide assortment of dish towels, hand towels, dishrags, wash cloths, and almost any other sort of thing of that nature available to use, the last time she was in the kitchen. So, she assumed those things still existed.

However, when Unalmis came out of the kitchen with nothing to offer but a doily, Cali blinked, speechless. Her lips parted, with the intention of telling Nal that a doily was not intended for wiping one's hands on, but then she thought better of it, for fear that there might be nothing else to offer their guest. If that was, in fact, all they had to offer, then it might make Arnyn feel awkward if she said anything to protest it. And it wasn't really a big deal, as far as the doily itself was concerned.. it could be cleaned. But still... the fact that that was all he could find was baffling her. She stared at Nal blankly, wondering.. why did he not bring the freshly cleaned hand towel that Iole had hung up near the washbasin, just that morning?

She did not even have to ask, as he offered up an explanation on his own, just moments later. What state were the towels in? Then, remembering who this was she was staring at, she realized there was no reason to wonder. And, in fact, he was right. She probably did not want to know. She held back a sigh and brought one hand up to cover her face briefly, eyes closing in exasperation, before looking up again and trying her best to appear composed and not at all surprised. Because, of course, she wasn't really surprised, or even amazed, that he might have managed to destroy every towel she and Iole owned. It was just slightly incredible to realize any one person could manage such a feat in such a short time. And she felt a newfound sympathy for Nal's grandmother, who had raised him almost singlehandedly.

"Um," Trev tried not to snicker too openly at the dainty, lacy item that Nal had offered to the lieutenant. He wasn't sure whether it was one that had been in the house when the girls moved in, or if it had come from one of their mothers, but he knew his grandmother would have a fit (and had done, plenty of times) if he messed with her doilies and got them dirty. The crochet-work was a bit time consuming, he knew. And, seeing the look on Cali's face, he had a suspicion she was not entirely pleased, either.

Remembering something that he kept with him, Trevadir decided it might be a good idea to demonstrate that his grandmother had done at least something right in the process of raising him. Trying to hide a grin, he shook his head and pulled a handkerchief from his pocket. It was made of a faded, plaid cloth that might have once been part of a shirt or some other type of clothing. It was also stained, threadbare, and even sported a couple of little holes in places, but despite its appearance, it was clean, and even smelled as if it had been washed recently. The stitches of the hem were neat, tiny, and done with great care. A small, capital 'T' was carefully embroidered in one corner, in deep blue thread, which went nicely with the design of the fabric.

"Here, try this." He suggested with slight amusement. "It might work a bit better?" He held it out to offer the lieutenant. "It's a bit old, but it's clean, I promise." He added in a hasty assurance. It, along with a small stack of similar ones, had been packed in his bags the day that he had chosen to embark upon an adventure with his father, and this was the only survivor of any of that luggage.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Child of Gondor
Mourgan
Third level
2days after the Midsummer event
@Rillewen
She suggested staying on the couch and he shrugged. “Suit yourself but I do want you to get some rest.” She frowned a bit and asked if there was anyway to secure the back door. He looked back that way and somewhat cringed to himself at seeing the state of the door.

“I’ll see what I can do with it.” He gave her a small reassuring smile.He stood up and carefully made his way to the door. He looked it over for a moment. He’d really done a job on it now that he took a good look at it.He certainly owed them a new door, good thing he knew a woodworker. Till then he’d have to find a way to fix it enough to secure it at least
The handle locking mechanism was barely together but first he had to rehang the door on the frame. At least enough to secure it. “Making noise.” He gave her a heads up before he started banging and repairing what he could and after a few minutes of adjusting and using a block of wood as a hammer he stepped back to admire his work.
well, it wasn’t the prettiest hanging job but no one was getting through it. He gave it a test shake and it actually stood up to the test. “Hu.” He surprised himself and a small satisfied small cross his lips momentarily before he turned back to Cali.
“It’s not pretty but it’ll work till I can get you a new door hung.” He was wiping dust off his hands as he walked and just happened to look up to find Cali sound asleep. He stopped for a moment. “She must have really been tired if she slept through all the racket.” He spoke to himself as his eyes settled on a thin throw on the back of the couch.
As silent as he could he took the throw from the back and gently covered her with it.

He turned around and seeing a chair he made his way to and took up a good position for watching the front door and the back even though the back door was pretty useless as a door. He settled in to keep watch like he told her he would, the chair creaked a moment under his large frame.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

"Thank you," she told Unalmis when he said he would find her 'something' for her hand. He also seemed to agree to trying the coffee with orange - at some point. Thinking about the implications of possibly trying it in the mess, where it would either go remarkably unnoticed or would turn into a whole thing with a larger than expected audience (and possibly a few bets involved), busied her while the other ranger went into the kitchen to find what he had promised.

Upon his return and statement, Arnyn blinked at what she was offered. A doily?! Her face must have looked somewhat alike to Cali's, as she looked in confusion first at the frilly thing in Unalmis' hand and then at Unalmis himself as he was still holding it out to her. She reached for it, with her clean hand, in slow motion. "Thank you?" she repeated, raising the inflection and sounding insecure and sceptical at the same time.

Trevadir drew her attention with his 'um' even as she had already accepted the doily. The way he pulled his handkerchief from a pocket reminded her of an old friend, and brought a nostalgic smile to her face. The piece of cloth looked very used, but it was quite obviously clean. She nodded at Trevadir, somewhat surprised at this gesture. "Thank you," she reiterated, her tone now more traditionally in line with the words themselves.

After his assurance, she reached out for this second offering as well, leaving her with both Unalmis' solution as well as Trevadir's. She could not help but look at the two options, the doily now spread across one knee and the handkerchief in hand, and breathing out a short laugh while she cleaned her hand with the handkerchief. "I appreciate the creativity, Unalmis," she admitted with amusement, "but the handkerchief does have less holes," she offered as an explanation for her choice. Not to mention that it might be easier to clean. "Where did you pick up this habit, Trevadir?" she wondered out loud. When she was done, she folded it into a neat square. "Want it back?" she asked, as well, holding the folded square back out toward him. "Or should I leave it on the table, if essence of lemon constitutes a problem?" she grinned.

"We should probably also get started on the reason for my visit," she continued. Her expression was neutral, even though her tone betrayed some regret in regards to the suggestion. "I told Cali there should not be any reason for her to move, with her leg, if we can use a different space." Her eyes pointedly looked in the direction of the kitchen - and its pointedly closed door. "Is the kitchen or option or..." Her gaze swung to her hosts. "Off limits?" A half grin. "And if so, do we have a different option?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Cali Dringolben
Third level

Cali shrugged slightly in answer to Mourgan's "suit yourself" comment. It was easier to just nap here on the couch, she figured, and would be easier for him to wake her quickly if someone came. Besides, she didn't plan on a lengthy sleep. Yet, it did occur to her she might end up doing so unintentionally, and had the presence of mind to think about how boring it would be for Mourgan.

"There's a few drinks in the kitchen," She mentioned as Mourgan set off toward the next room, recalling there was at least a pitcher of good, clean drinking water, and makings for coffee, and a bottle of milk. Maybe one other thing she couldn't think of at the moment. "If you get thirsty, or hungry.. there's some food, too." That said, she assumed he would take it to mean he was welcome to get something to eat or drink if he liked. She was too tired to bother with more words. While he was inspecting the damage to the door, Cali quietly pulled one of the pillows on the couch closer to her head as she stretched out across the couch, in an attempt to get comfortable. By the time Mourgan was calling out his warning about making noise, she was sound asleep.

@Arnyn @Ercassie
|
Trevadir | Cali

Lieutenant Dealedwen's reaction to the doily was actually a bit humorous. Trev had noticed it seemed rather difficult to catch her by surprise, and yet.. Nal had managed to do it just now. He held back a grin as she accepted the handkerchief instead, and nodded in reply to her thanks.

Her inquiry, however, left him slightly puzzled. Where did he pick up the habit? "What habit?" He asked, trying to think of what sort of habit she might mean. The habit of wiping his hands on his trousers was just a natural habit from childhood that he had never quite grown out of, and he didn't think she'd ask about that. The only other habit that had been mentioned or displayed, which he could think of was.. "Eating citrus?" he guessed. Assuming that to be the case, he was about to launch into an explanation about the reason for his new favorite fruits, when Cali intervened, being a bit more perceptive to the lieutenant's words.

"I think she meant 'carrying a handkerchief', Trev." She smiled in slight amusement, glancing from Arnyn, to Trevadir.

"Oh," He blinked, holding out a hand to accept it back, as his form of reply to her following question. "That." He paused, a little unsure how to answer that, and looked down at it in his hands. "I didn't, really." He shrugged. "My grandmother always insisted on it. She'd give me a whole stack of them for every birthday, and insisted I carry one with me every day," He rolled his eyes, but with a fond sort of smile. "She said you never knew when you might need one. I always figured it was just a lot of nonsense, but.." He trailed off and shrugged again, deciding to divert the subject away from his grandmother.

"Anyway. I don't mind the 'lemon essence'." He added with a grin. "It's a nice smell.. one of my favorites." He stuffed it down in his pocket again, and his smile faded a bit as she reminded them of the entire purpose for this 'visit', and he nodded. They had delayed enough, he supposed, and now would come the less pleasant business of dredging up all the bad memories and whatever else. He had no idea what sort of things she was going to want to know about, and that made it difficult to prepare his thoughts.

As the lieutenant asked about moving into the kitchen, however, Trev found his gaze straying toward Nal, and thought back on the mess he had witnessed for the brief moments he had been in there. "Uh, actually, the dining room will surely be more comfortable," He suggested, as the most convenient alternative.

"Hmmm... yes." Cali glanced at the two young men with mild suspicion, knowing there was probably a reason they were not too keen on the woman going into the kitchen. And that meant that Cali probably did not want to see what was on the other side of those doors... she held back a sigh, thinking of all the mess she would probably have to clean up. "The chairs in the dining room are more comfortable," She mentioned. "And there's a bit more table space," She added, supplying a couple of reasons why that room would be a better choice.

"And more light," Trev agreed. "If we open the curtains in there, there's a nice view into the garden, too." He added. "I'll just.. go and do that." he offered, thinking it might be a good idea to precede the lieutenant into the dining room, so as to ensure that the door separating it from the kitchen was closed. With his glass of lemonade in hand, he set off to take care of those details, trusting that Unalmis would handle the task of guiding their guest into the next room, after giving him a moment's head start.

"Be sure to use the coasters," Cali called after him, before he would have a chance to set his glass down on the table. She smiled, shaking her head slightly with a slight grin at Arnyn. "There should be more coffee too, if you want a fresh cup." She added, partly so as to remind Nal to see to any such requests.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Ercassie @Rillewen
Lieutenant Arnyn
Trevadir's report

She smiled when Trevadir revealed he still carried a handkerchief upon his grandmother's insistence. "It is part of being a gentlemen," she explained quietly, although she did not offer any more than that single sentence.

Upon the suggestion of the dining room, Arnyn nodded her approval. They actually had a dining room? Fancy enough. She lingered in her seat for now, assuming Trevadir had hurried off for the dining room with a reason. The Lieutenant smiled at Cali. "Well. Before any fresh cup can be served, I must finish my current one." It had probably cooled enough by now. She picked up the cup of coffee with lemon juice again, and first tested it against her lips. Yes. Then she drained the whole thing, swallowing mouthful after mouthful without pause, meanwhile looking over the edge at Unalmis.

Once she'd finished, she cleared her throat, keeping her face from grimacing with no small amount of effort. "Your turn," she said to Unalmis, her voice a bit hoarse due to her trying to deal with the aftertaste.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

@Rillewen @Arnyn

Unalmis Raxëlilta

Unalmis’s grandmother had never kept a doily in her house, and honestly the young man was not completely sure what the point of the pretty thing was. But it seemed like it would serve to dry juiced hands, so he simply shrugged at the apparent outcry that the prospect caused from the rest of the room. He wasn’t bothered by the Lieutenant’s choosing to take up Trevadir’s offering instead of his own, although he might have pointed out that the handkerchief was not entirely lacking in holes either. The look on Cali’s face of course, stalled all capacity for speech, at least until he could wipe the stupid grin off his face.

Brown eyes did find their way to his palm however, as his friend gave up his account of a handkerchief habit. Nal’s skin held a faint residue of sticky still from the lemon but not enough to bother him at all. It was the faint scar he found himself more drawn to there. The one which Trev had, years before, throttled with just such a handkerchief, after Nal had gotten carried away with Ryndir’s knife. He still remembered GrammyU’s expression when she saw the bloodied ‘bandage’ which her hard work had been rendered to. Trev hadn’t even panicked, nor hesitated to risk what he must have known would cite her wrath, when he had offered it up, to help his friend. Speech was stolen of Unalmis again in that moment, and he recalled himself back to the present, albeit with a lingering pensive look about his features.

Allotting his attention turned back to the room, he found that it was filled with debate now over where to hold their .. talk. Honestly it shouldn’t matter as much at all as they were all making out that it did. But he supposed that it was all in the sake of trying to make ready for what was to come. People steeled for it in their own ways. Seems like no one was really anticipating ‘the reason’ for Arnyn’s visit. Understandable. But really, the only one who should be worried about this conversation taking place was Devedir. And he deserved all that was coming to him, and more besides.

Is this a coaster ?Nal picked up the doily, genuinely curious enough to hush-ask Cali, as their guest commenced a second brave attempt at drinking down the experiment. He scarcely paid attention for any answer that was forthcoming though, as Arnyn risked not only the burn of the brew but the bitterness with no holds barred. He did not miss the clear glance in his direction and ducked his chin briefly in respect as the woman accomplished her impressive feat.

Lieutenant,” he marvelled. “I am beginning to wonder if there is anything you can not do !” What might have been a compliment was though swiftly succeeded by an idle “Anyone would think that you are daring me to find out ..?” And before he should be faced with her response to that, the Ranger took a sigh, and took up with his own ‘turn’ at supping down his drink.

Drawing on the youthful memory that he had literally swallowed poison before now and not died, although that had been thanks more to the swift action of his cousin, than the strength of his own stomach, Unalmis rallied to complete his own assignment. He was of course, quietly aware that in keeping both the womens’ eyes upon his efforts, he would give Trev more time to ‘ready’ the next room, and the musician himself, for their migration. And so the ‘flavoured’ coffee was trialled, then tasted and taken for some time, much longer than it took the young man to wash down the taste, and the flush of heat, with an entire glass of water, immediately afterwards.

Ah, that one was yours,” he realised, belatedly, with an apologetic look toward his superior. “But you are made of stronger stuff than me, than most in fact, if the rumours are true. I’ll get you a fresh one, with the next set of coffee. If you trust me to.” Convinced that Trevadir had been granted long enough by now to shape up any last minute messes in the dining room, and not long enough that he couldn’t be caught up, should he have made a dash for it down the street .. Nal indicated with one hand for Arnyn to follow the young musician into the next room, and the next chapter of this call.

Do you have everything you need in here, Your Majesty ?” he checked then, with Cali, apparently, before moving to tickle the cat under her chin “What do you think of that for your new name, Majesty?” he asked the proud new pet, quite pointedly, and offered his friend only a raised eyebrow for herself. It would be alright, he nodded briefly then afterwards, assured the reclined Smith would recognise the reassurance of the gesture, for their friend’s sake, without needing for the words. Then there was no cause left to excuse him. Except for the fresh drinks.

A sudden dash toward the kitchen and entirely non-subtle sliding through the door there, beyond Arnyn and Trevadir, made great efforts to keep all sight of what that ‘room of readying’ actually looked like. After a few minutes, Unalmis reappeared and somehow managed just as flexible an entry, with both hands about a new tray, of fresh drinks, and he pulled the door to a close behind him with a flick of one foot. The barricade to the battlezone behind him, remained intact.