The Pelennor Fields, Osgiliath, The Northern Fiefdoms (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Karis Ziranphel

Trastion Leithor
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

The quiet stillness was broken suddenly by the most unexpected sound just on the other side of the door; a quiet chuckle, followed by the invitation to open the door the rest of the way. Though initially a little startled, Trastion soon let out a soft sigh of relief, recognizing that it was one of their own. While he didn't know Vorondir hardly at all, he'd met him very briefly along the way here, so he was able to recognize his voice well enough. He lowered his sword and swung the door open the rest of the way, hoping the creak wasn't actually as loud as it seemed to his ears, in this otherwise silent setting.

"I saw your sword," He muttered softly, in explanation, to Vorondir. "Wasn't sure who might be waiting on the other side." He kept his voice as low as he could and still be heard by the ranger. Glancing around past him, he wondered what happened to Thullir, since he remembered that they'd started out together, and did not see the other ranger in his hiding spot in the rosebush. Figuring maybe they'd either split up, or he was somewhere Trastion couldn't see, he looked back to Vorondir and motioned to the inside of the mill where Arnyn was still crouching by the prone figure. "There's someone here, tied up I think." He whispered. "I've seen and heard nothing else moving in there, except maybe a few mice."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
The Pelennor - Riding with Eryn & Duinion
August

Kaylin slowly reached for a sandwich, smiling at Eryn while she did so, wordlessly thanking her for the meal prep. When Duinion finally said he had a story in mind, Kaylin blinked in genuine surprise, and then let out an over-the-top gasp. "Say what now?!" she asked, grinning. "Tirdinen Raedor actually wants to tell a story! I thought I'd be fishing behind the net all day!"

"Is it a story Eryn has heard before, or a new one for her ears as well?" Because an entirely new story would work best, of course. Kaylin than raised her free hand as if to say he needn't reply to that, and then pointedly raised her sandwich. "Never mind. I will just eat. You talk." Amused, she took a big bite from the food, effectively silencing herself.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
Duinion & Erynneth Raedor
August

Duinion scoffed slightly in amusement. "I didn't say I wanted to," He corrected her. "But I suspect you won't leave me alone until I do," He was half teasing, half genuine with that statement. He took a drink of from his canteen while he considered whether he had ever told this tale to Eryn. "Hm, no, I don't think she has," He smiled toward his daughter, while Eryn leaned forward with interest. She could hardly believe Kaylin had managed to get a story out of him, much less one she had never heard before, and was extremely curious to hear it.

He shifted slightly to get more comfortable. "So, this was about sixteen years ago," he smiled a little bigger. "Very shortly after Eryn had been born, actually. I was thrilled, but I had just recently transferred to a different ranger company... because my original one had depleted and there were not enough people left in it.. anyway." He cleared his throat. He wasn't interested in going into the details for why that ranger company had broken up and been absorbed into others. "So, I didn't know anyone in this new group, but I was working on getting to know them, to find out which ones I'd get along with, so on. And, I'm sure most of them were already a bit sick of hearing me talk about my new baby girl," He added with a little laugh.

"Dad," Eryn rolled her eyes, a little embarrassed but smiled. "What about the story? Where you had to use your daggers." She reminded him, hoping this wasn't some story about her doing some cute baby thing.

"I'm getting to that," he assured her. "Anyway. So, I wasn't the only new one in the company. There was a newer ranger, who'd had plenty of battle experience but not much forest experience. So, even though I wasn't much older than him, I'd had quite a lot of experience in Ithilien by then, so I was asked to teach him a bit." he paused, glancing briefly at Kaylin and hesitated for a second as he debated whether to tell her the name of this guy. He wasn't even sure if she would know him, or if she did, how she might react to hearing his name, and so didn't mention it.

"So, he and I set off deeper into the woods with bows in hand. I figured on teaching him enough about tracking and such, so that he could hunt down enough supper to bring back to the others." He explained, and paused there to take another nibble of his sandwich.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

Busying herself with the sandwich, she listened with great interest as Duinion started telling the story. Sixteen years ago? She wondered what had prompted him to pick something that had happened so long ago. Was it Eryn's presence? Was it his decision to start teaching her how to defend herself in close combat, reminding him of how innocent and defenseless she had been as a baby, in turn reminding him of a story when she had just been born? Kaylin took another mouthful. She'd said she was going to shut up.

She chuckled, though, when the ranger commented that the others in his new group might have gotten tired of his baby stories. With laughter in her eyes, she glanced at Eryn, who mostly just seemed impatient for the story and embarrassed that her father had been so talkative about her as a baby. Why on earth would that embarrass her? Wasn't every new parent kind of obnoxious that way?

Too curious, though, she couldn't quite keep certain questions to herself. "So, just so I can paint the right picture in my head and all," she began with a shrug, "How old were you? I mean, you said it was sixteen years ago, but age isn't easy to pinpoint." Kaylin grinned. "Especially with the Numenorean blood still running around here and there..."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

Duinion grinned slightly at Kaylin's question, and took a moment to think about the math. "Let's see," he tilted his head slightly, thinking. "I was.. about twenty-three, twenty-four maybe. Somewhere around there," He shrugged. "The other guy was only a few years younger, maybe twenty or so. Very quiet and serious, kind of focused, I guess you might say. But friendly enough." He smiled faintly. "I was trying to figure out whether we'd get along well or not, so I may have annoyed him with a few silly jokes along the way.. but at least I don't think I was quite as bad as a certain person who was involved in training me." He clearned his throat softly, deciding he was not going to mention certain incidents from his own training period.

"So, what was his name?" Eryn wondered. "Is he still a ranger?" She asked, before hoping that wasn't the wrong sort of question to ask. She knew that several of his friends and former comrades had been killed in various skirmishes and things, so she hoped that wasn't the case with this guy.

Duinion paused, sighing as a slight sadness came to his eyes. "Sadly, no." he paused, debating about whether to answer her other question, and figured it would be easier to tell the story without trying to conceal the other person's name. Or, if Kaylin had strong feelings against him, she could tell him she didn't want to hear it. He mentally shrugged, though still felt saddened about the circumstances around the guy. "He is still alive though," he added hastily, seeing a look on Eryn's face that suggested that was what she had thought. "But, he was discharged not all that long ago. For.. certain reasons." He said quietly, and glanced at Kaylin. "You.. might have known him. I'm not sure. His name is Macardil."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

Early twenties! More curious now, she leaned forward a little. What would Duinion have been like, back then? Part of the veil was immediately lifted as he disclosed having annoyed the younger ranger with silly jokes. She filed away the comment about 'a certain person' involved in training Duinion himself. Perhaps she could find out more about that individual, later.

The sandwich was almost gone when Eryn asked a few questions of her own. Kaylin frowned slightly when Duinion's expression appeared to become a bit sad. Oh. But he was still alive, at least. Alive, but discharged. Not long ago? Her frown deepened. Then who...

When Duinion dropped the actual name, Kaylin dropped her jaw.

"Wait - WHAT?" she exclaimed after a moment, her mouth hanging open as she stared at Duinion. "Macardil? As in Macardil the former Ranger Lieutenant? As in Macardil who was locked up in the dungeons for months on end? As in Macardil who's gonna marry my cousin-in-law?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

A firm nod from the Captain confirmed that she agreed with the idea of moving, and the movement of her hand suggested the direction which she thought the bird call had come from. It coincided with the direction the boot prints seemed to come from and return to; besides, even if they took the longer way around the building they would still come to the entrance sooner or later.

Pele moved off, now and then still looking at the ground for any marks even though it gradually became harder to see as the darkness was setting in. At hearing the warning call, she halted to look around suspiciously, glanced at Kaylin and continued even more carefully, if it was even possible.

Eventually they reached what had to be the main door - it was open, and faint voices could be heard from inside. While she could not hear the words, the tone did not seem to carry any tension or warning. Pele lingered near the door, facing outwards to check once more that no attacks would be forthcoming from the surroundings, even though it seemed that whoever had been here and walked about leaving bootprints had left the place as abandoned as it was before.

After a few moments that seemed to stretch out forever, Pele stepped through the door and took a step aside to let Kaylin enter, while trying to make out who was located where inside the mill. Her eye was first drawn to the outline of the other door, matching the quiet voices of Trastion and Vorondir to their figures. Only then she looked around deeper within to find Arnyn near what looked like a collection of old grain bags. From the movements she guessed that the Lieutenant had found something, yet Pele did not move deeper into the mill, keeping her position by there door so she could still oversee some space on the outside.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

Duinion paused, blinking at Kaylin's astonished outburst. "Your cousin in law?" He asked. "I didn't know he was getting married at all." He found that a bit surprising, but then it had been a long time since he even saw the guy. "Then, he still lives here in this area?" He asked, hopeful to have some sort of news in that regard. "I heard he was released, and I was glad to hear it for his sake. But I had no idea how to find him." He wondered if perhaps Kaylin could help, but then again, he wasn't sure if Macardil would even be interested in trying to pick up old acquaintances.

"Who's Macardil?" Eryn wondered, glancing from one to the other. "I don't remember you mentioning him as a lieutenant," She mentioned, trying to think back.

"No, that was during the time I was elsewhere," Duinion answered. "I heard about it from Unalmis, afterward. But I haven't seen Macardil in a long while. I hope he's well." He smiled faintly. "It sounds as if he must be, if he's planning on remarrying." He paused to take a drink from his canteen. "Should I continue the story, or.. would you rather I didn't?" He asked Kaylin, uncertain.

Captain of Tower

Ranger Thûllir Bregedŷr & Ranger Vorondir
Hinst - Dahak’s Gift
Late August

Vorondir heard the soft sigh followed by the creak of the door as it opened the rest of the way, and he rested his own blade against his shoulder to appear less threatening as Trastion stepped into the opening and whispered his explanation. A quiet hum was his acknowledgement of the story and what had been located inside. He looked towards the rose-bush and gave a tilt of his head as the young recruit turned back to the interior of the building, and then turned to step into the dark opening at Trastion’s heels.

Thûllir slowly eased the bowstring back to neutral before unwinding his body from the low-crouched and half-kneeling stance he had adopted to fit behind the overgrown bush, and rising silently. Taking two steps to the side, he advanced to take up Vorondir’s former position by the door, but half-turned so that he could see both the empty yard and into the room. He wouldn’t be silhouetted against the fading light, but could provide cover in multiple directions if needed. A quick glance took in what he thought was the Captain doing similar at the far door, and then he directed his attention outward again. Vorondir could supply muscle just as easily as he could, but he was a better medic if it came to that. For now, his eyes and bow were more useful.
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Child of Gondor
Amber
Dahaks gift, Hinst

The same voice instructed her to be careful then she felt the bag slowly being removed from over her head. Relief from the hot stuffy bag was the first thing she felt, then as the bag came off completely she had to blink hard to adjust to what little light there was as a few strands of brown unkept hair fell across her face.

When she could see clearly through the strands she noticed others in the mill beside the woman closest to her. She glanced at them briefly before she settled her amber gaze on the woman before her. Her hands were bound behind her but she gently tried to bring them up as best she could and motioned to her gag. “Waaher” it was a dry, weak request for water to quench her thirst.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

"Well, yeah. He's marrying Karis," Kaylin said, flummoxed at Duinion's surprise, given she had just walked in an a whole group of rangers speaking about it earlier that week in the mess hall. "You didn't know? It's gone through the ranks like wildfire - or at least that's been my impression. On the plus side, it's also opened up the whole discussion of Macardil's exoneration..." Though, she supposed it wasn't exactly an exoneration. He still wasn't allowed to rejoin the Rangers, after all. "Or sort of exoneration, I guess."

She nodded at his question. "He lives up on Fifth, now." It looked and sounded like Duinion might like the address. "I can give you the address, or directions, if you want...?" Karis had shared plenty of things with her, one of which was Macardil's... well, disappearance of social contacts since he had left prison.

Still processing that Duinion and Macardil used to work together, Kaylin looked down at the food and the ground as she took another bite and listened to Eryn asking her father about Macardil as well as Duinion's reply. Karis had told her that it wouldn't be the man's first marriage, and instinctually Kaylin hadn't liked that - but his first wife's illness and subsequent death had painted all that in a very different image. She sighed.

With raised eyebrows, she looked back up when Duinion asked if he should continue the story. "Are you kidding? A chance to hear a story about mr. serious and proper when he was just barely of age? Though I suppose I shouldn't hope to discover he had something like an impetuous side to him back then, since you already said he was quiet and serious." She rolled her eyes. "Karis swears he's not boring. But I don't know. Haven't spent much time with him, I suppose." Kaylin leaned forward. "But, you have?" She grinned. "You must tell the story. After all, he's entering the family and I still have to sort of make up my mind about the guy."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen @Karis Ziranphel @Isolde Alarion
Lieutenant Arnyn Dealedwen

Hinst - Dahak's Gift

Half of her attention was on the woman in front of her, the other half on Trastion opening the door as she had instructed him to. One of theirs - Vorondir, if she was judging the shape right - was standing in the doorway, Trastion just inside the mill once more. She also heard people softly stepping in behind her. Casting a look over her shoulder, just to make sure, she saw the familiar shape of Pele, followed by the redheaded Kaylin. Right. She need no longer worry about anything else but who appeared to be Dahak's gift.

The face looking up at her made the tiny hairs on the back of her neck rise. Goosebumps riddled her forearms. One hand flashed down, matching the new speed of her heartbeat, to the dagger in her boot. The same hand then stilled the moment her fingers curled around the handle. No. Relic was dead. Relic had died - in her arms. This was not her. This could not be her.

Brown eyes widened at the realization. Her lips parted. Arnyn had presumed this young woman was dead. But this was her face, staring up at her. Imploring. Hopeful. Amber... the real Amber... was still alive?

The Lieutenant inhaled slowly. How could Dahak have known? Had he even known? Was it all some twisted coincidence?

Swallowing in the hopes this would bring some relief to her suddenly dry throat, Arnyn nodded at the bound and gagged woman. "Try not to speak yet," she whispered as she removed the gag from her mouth with one hand. "I will untie your hands first. Water is next, alright?" She unsheathed her dagger - slowly, so the woman would not panic - and moved to cut through the bindings around the woman's wrists. Then she gave her the small canteen from the front pouch at her belt. "Small sips," Arnyn advised quietly, as her mind raced about how to deal with this in the moment.

This woman... she had to be the real Amber. If that was in fact her real name. But her face might draw unwanted responses. From Pele. From Trastion. Possibly from Kaylin. If they did not think before they acted. Vorondir and Thullir brought little to no concern, for they were both level-headed nor had they personally faced Relic in the guise of Amber.

The Lieutenant ran a hand through her hair and resheathed her dagger in her boot. "We are Rangers, under King Elessar's command," she explained quietly. "Are you hurt?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor

Trastion Leithor
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

Having opened the door as instructed, Trastion wasn't entirely sure what to do next. He paused to think about it for a moment while Vorondir moved into the structure. Glancing back toward the open door, Trastion was surprised to see Thullir moving to take up Vorondil's spot. It was as if he had just materialized out of the shadows. Trastion blinked, somewhat awed, and wondered if he'd ever be able to do that. Perhaps by the end of his training he'd be able to do stuff like that. One could only hope, right?

For now, he reminded himself he should be keeping alert, so he turned back toward the interior of the mill. Glancing toward Arnyn where she was kneeling by the hostage, he could hear her talking quietly but she was speaking low. From here, he couldn't tell much about the hostage, but he thought it might be a female. For a moment, it looked almost as if Arnyn had been startled by something, but he wasn't sure. He stayed where he was for now, continuing to scan his gaze around the mill, watching for movement or anything that didn't belong, while he waited for any further instructions, and waited to see what would happen next.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

Duinion listened with quiet amazement, processing the news that Kaylin had just supplied. He'd just learned quite a few things all in a few seconds, and he wasn't sure how to respond or react. The fact that Karis was Kaylin's cousin in law was something he had not known. That Karis and Macardil were planning to marry was also news to him. The fact that Macardil was still in the city was further news he had not expected to hear. And he was not entirely sure why Kaylin found it so astonishing that he didn't already know these things. "I.. don't spend much time around the common areas, unless the lieutenant makes me." He pointed out quietly, shrugging. And, when he did go there, he didn't really sit around socializing with the others, listening to gossip and chatting about other people's business. "I've not met Karis, nor your husband. So, I had no idea they were related." He took a sip of his drink, thoughtful about that. He hadn't even had to spend the night in the barracks since the fire had destroyed the North Wing, so there hadn't really been many chances for him to hear such things.

"That is a plus," he nodded as Kaylin spoke about his 'sort of exoneration'. "I was glad to hear about that, though it was only quite recently that I did learn about his release. I guess I just.. assumed he would have gone somewhere else to live, after.. all that." He wasn't really sure what he might have done, if it had been him. "So, yes," he nodded slowly. "If you would, it would be nice to get a chance to see him again.. I have not seen him since we served together before the war, and until now, I didn't know how to find out where he was living these days." Learning that he was living in the Fifth circle, Duinion made a mental note of that. Perhaps he could come by sometime, and.. well, find out whether Macardil would even want to resume whatever friendship they'd once had. It felt like ages ago now, and both had changed significantly since then, and he was unsure what to expect. But he would at least make the attempt, and find out.

As Kaylin practically insisted on hearing the rest of the story, and expressing curiosity about what Macardil was like back then, Duinion laughed faintly, thinking back to when they had first begun working together. "Hmm, well, he had only just joined the rangers at that time." He explained. "He was inquisitive, eager to learn, like he couldn't get enough knowledge about these new skills he was learning. Asked a lot of questions about things, but always very politely." He repositioned, comfortably resting his back against a tree behind him. "He smiled a lot." he remembered. "I always thought him very friendly and likeable. He was.. excited, I think, because he had recently married Mellaurel." Duinion was slightly surprised that he remembered that name so easily, since it had been so long now, but he didn't comment on that out loud. "He mostly kept that to himself, but sometimes he'd mention something about her, and you could tell he was excited."

"Anyway," he thought for a moment. "Where was I..?"

"You were going off to hunt, I think?" Eryn reminded him. She'd sat quietly while they talked, listening, but recognizing that it didn't have much to do with her, so she hadn't interrupted what seemed like a matter between him and Kaylin.

"Right," he smiled slightly. "So, we set off into the woods, so that he could get some experience in the forest. Tracking, moving silently, that sort of thing. After a while, he located some deer tracks. He was pretty quick at learning things, so I let him do the tracking. We followed the tracks to a deer trail, then followed that for a while. And pretty soon, we ended up at this little meadow, and sure enough, there was the deer. A big buck, too, just grazing. As fortune would have it, we were downwind of him, and he wasn't aware of us. Macardil readied his bow, and I was intently watching the deer, itching to grab an arrow of my own, just in case. But I refrained, trusting Macardil to manage the shot, though I didn't know at the time whether he was a good shot." He grinned slightly, remembering that incident, but paused for a moment to take another bite of his sandwich, and let the ladies wonder for a moment what happened next.

(all stuff relating to macardil has been discussed in advance with the writer lol)
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

Unless the Lieutenant made him? Kaylin raised an eyebrow at that, and she glanced questioningly at Eryn to see if maybe her friend would tell her more about that later. When Duinion said he hadn't met Karis or Thûllir, Kaylin shrugged. "You've seen them around, though, surely. Honestly, I don't think they would add their relation to each other to introductions," she laughed. "I understand you don't uh... socialize much," she said hesitantly, settling on a term he hopefully wouldn't find offensive. "But Eryn tells me Unalmis visits all the time. But then he must have never mentioned anything, either." Now she wondered if Unalmis even knew. He had to, right? Or not? Kaylin usually found herself smack dab in the middle of the most interesting things - or found a way to get there. So maybe... maybe not everyone had the same success at.. uh.. 'gathering information'. Either way, Kaylin gave Duinion Macardil's address and briefly explained whereabouts on the Fifth he could find it.

Listening to this rare account of Macardil in his youth, Kaylin made mental notes. Karis would love to hear about this later, she figured. When Duinion said Macardil had smiled a lot back then, Kaylin raised her eyebrows. Alright then. The rest of it seemed to fit with the man he was now, though. At least, as far as Kaylin had been able to see. Private about his personal life, as well. And the perfect proper little pupil.

When Duinion paused, Kaylin looked at Eryn, then back at Duinion. "Well?" she asked impatiently. "Did he make the shot? Or was he absolute rubbish?" She grinned at that possibility.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

Eryn was leaned forward slightly, listening eagerly to hear about her dad when he was not a whole lot older than herself. And in fact, when she was barely born. Though she didn't know the person they were talking about, that was also intriguing. She had merely given a vague shrug in answer to Kaylin's questioning look, keeping her attention on the story as her dad resumed telling it.

Duinion smiled slightly at Kaylin's eagerness to hear what happened, but he took his time chewing, then swallowed, took a drink, and sat back again. "Well," He cleared his throat. "As it happened, both of us were so intently focused on the buck, that neither of us.. um.. were aware of a group of Haradrim soldiers moving in on us." He admitted, slightly awkward about that part. "We ought to have noticed them," He was a bit embarrassed to admit that part. "I ought to have, for sure. But, I didn't. I should have been watching our surroundings, instead of watching him take his shot..." He held back a sigh, and continued. "And so, no sooner had Macardil let his arrow fly, than they leaped out at us. Before we even knew what was happening, the two of us were surrounded."

Eryn's eyes widened, a bit astonished to hear this account. "Surrounded? What did you do?!" She asked, amazed. "You both survived, and it's a story about how your daggers saved you, so..." She remembered, trying to think it through.

"Would you rather tell it?" He asked Eryn with a grin.

"No, you tell it!" She laughed.

He smiled. "Well, they were on us so quickly, it was a bit scary. Two or three of them got hold of my bow, and wrested it from my grip. I think Macardil had a similar situation, but it all happened very quickly so it was hard to be sure of much going on with him. Anyway, they got my bow away from me, and that's when I drew my daggers. The first few were done for, before they even saw the glint of metal as my blades cleared the sheaths... I caught a glimpse of Macardil with his.. I think he was using an ax? chopping his way through them.. though I might be mistaken. It was sixteen years ago," He shrugged, and paused to think if there was anything he was forgetting to mention.

During that pause, he mentally went over the address that Kaylin had given him, again. He had thanked her for giving it, and had pointed out that he and Unalmis didn't really talk about the gossip going around the mess hall. Still, he was very glad to have an address at last where he might be able to find his former comrade. He continued after a moment. "We were outnumbered, but we both had plenty of combat training, and the Haradrim weren't expecting that, I think. Seeing two young men, I think they thought it would be an easy kill." He smiled faintly. "Besides, having a family to care for tends to make one all the more determined to not be defeated." He added with a small smile toward Eryn.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

Duinion was taking his sweet time, so Kaylin finally took another bite as well. She couldn't rush him, it seemed. Might as well accept he would tell the tale at his own pace.

She stopped chewing for a brief moment when the Haradrim soldiers came up. Once she swallowed, Kaylin grinned. Oh, this was going to be better than she'd thought! A shrug made it clear she did not fault the younger Duinion for not noticing them. Throughout her time of service, she'd learned that Rangers were not the only ones with stealth skills - although they sure liked to think so.

The grin widened when Eryn interrupted the story, all wide-eyed and - Kaylin had to acknowledge - so innocent.

Intrigued when Duinion described some of the following close-quarters combat, the Hyandaner leaned forward again. The first few died by his blades upon him drawing them. That was not an easy skill to master. She made a mental note of that as she assessed Duinion anew, as he was sitting there, eating and telling the story, looking quite harmless. He just seemed so good-natured... Then again, Kaylin supposed she didn't exactly look dangerous off the bat, either.

She nodded at Duinion's recollection of Macardil's axe. "An axe would make sense," she offered during his little pause. "He carried one on the Poros mission, too. And Karis said something about it being a family weapon of choice."

Kaylin leaned back on one hand place behind her, what was left of the sandwich hovering in front of her. "Hmm," she said with some approval, smiling as she remembered some altercations she'd been involved in herself, where enemies had made the same mistake. "That can be so satisfying. So, you were slicing and Macardil was chopping?" she summarized, her tone light - as if they were discussing a cooking skill rather than ending people's lives.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

A little snort of amusement was unavoidable, as Kaylin commented so casually about 'slicing and chopping', as if they were just talking about preparing vegetables or something. "Yes, something like that." he answered, finding her rather amusing at times. No wonder Eryn liked her so well, he thought with a little smile. "I started learning to use daggers when I was quite young. At the time, it was about the only thing I could use," He added, grinning slightly. "I was.. a bit small for my age, which certainly didn't help with convincing the higher-ups that I was older than I was..."

"Yeah, he was like fourteen when he joined, claiming to be sixteen." Eryn commented. "Yet he says I have to be eighteen before I can join." She huffed in annoyance at that.

"That is a vastly different situation, Eryn." Duinion sighed, a little annoyed that she would bring that up. "Anyway. So yes, though we were outnumbered, we both had plenty of weapon training, and experience in battle situations. Of course, at the time, I didn't know what Macardil's level of skill was with a weapon, and I was worried for him. I tried to get closer to him, to keep us from getting too far separated, but those Haradrim kept trying to drive us further apart. I think they figured we'd stand less chance of survival if they could get us apart. At one point, I actually called out to him just to check that he was still up and fighting, because I couldn't see him anymore.

"And then, before long, I was looking around for another enemy to stab or slash or.. something. But there weren't any more of them left. It felt like it happened too suddenly, and for a second, I was a bit confused about it, before I realized that I'd just.. already killed all those near me." He laughed faintly, remembering how weird that had felt. "When I hurried over to check on Macardil, he was finishing off the last one attacking him, too." He leaned back. "We were very fortunate, that day. We came out of it with only a few minor cuts and scratches."

Steward of Gondor

Early September - Afternoon
(same day as Arnyn's informal ranger gathering in the barracks)

(Private)

After a moment of staring, trying to decide what she would do, Eryn took a slow breath, and reached into the hole. Indeed, it was hollowed out. The hole went much deeper than the depth of the stone, she quickly realized, as her arm went in at least up to the elbow. She half expected a snake or something to attack her, but instead, her hand brushed against something that felt like… well, almost like her quiver! Intrigued, Eryn pulled out the item, and found that it was actually a leather canister for carrying documents. She frowned curiously at it. “What is this?” She murmured, curiosity growing stronger by the moment. She swiftly moved it up out of Hattie's reach when the dog leaped up slightly, trying to snatch it. Obviously, Hattie was also curious. "No, Hattie," She told her firmly.

After removing the cap, she found that it was filled with papers. That was even more intriguing. She pulled out one of them, unrolled it, and held it up to the beam of light. It seemed to be some sort of official type papers, but she couldn’t quite make it out right now. As Hattie leaped up to try to snatch the paper from her hands, Eryn jerked away from the playful dog. “No,” She repeated, holding it up out of her reach. "This isn't for you to play with." She frowned down at the playful pup, then rolled her eyes as she gave Eryn a big-eyed, innocent look.

She thought for a moment, then glanced around. None of this was going anywhere, right? She needed to get a little fresh air, anyway. So, taking the canister of papers, she went back up the steps, and sat on the top one after taking some deep breaths of fresher air. Pulling out more of the papers, she skimmed through them, trying to make sense of what she was seeing. Some of them appeared to be several reports about a missing person. Always the same person, but each reported over the course of a year or so. Strange. Why were those here? A few other papers fell into her lap. All official-looking papers, none of which made sense to her. But all seemed to be concerning this Reilly person. Hmm.

She slid those back into the canister and pulled out another bundle of papers rolled up together. These appeared to be.. transfer requests? Apparently, a guard wanted to be transferred to another city. But why were these papers here? Shouldn’t they be kept in some guard files or whatever? She found that rather puzzling, but it didn’t really interest her that much. She put it back and pulled out another packet that had a different look about it. Unrolling these papers, Eryn began reading. This was written in a different handwriting, and lengthier. More detailed. Her eyes grew wider and wider the more she read. A guard's report? About Cali being kidnapped! Cali and Iole, that is. Surprised by this unexpected find, Eryn continued to read through the report, growing more and more amazed that such a thing would be here, instead of in the guard's file room or something. Then, she stopped in puzzlement when page three seemed like a duplicate of page two. What? She frowned, baffled about why the guard taking her report would have written that page a second time. There were no ink blots, or mistakes. So why? And why only that page? Sliding the other pages back into the tube, she focused on the two identical pages that she kept out, trying to make sense of this puzzle.

“Strange…” She muttered, skimming through them again, then stopped at a certain point as she finally spotted the difference. The name of the guard posted on duty at the gate when the incident happened.. there was a different name in that spot on each of the papers. Why? She frowned and looked at the two different names, wondering which was the original version. One was a lieutenant Feirion, while the other was a lieutenant Androllius. The handwriting looked the same, and there was no clear way for her to tell which was written first. Then, she realized something else. On the one page, the name listed was the same as the guard who'd written up those transfer request papers. Aderic Androllius. Interesting... who was this guard, and why were all these papers and reports concerning him hidden away here?

Then suddenly something else dawned on her. She froze, looking up and around at her surroundings. Thinking of what she’d just read in Cali’s report… and what she’d found in that cellar. The corpse. The report had spoken of the man making threats toward Cali and her friend, and how the man had showed her and Iole those bloody ropes he'd brought up from a cellar. At an abandoned farmhouse! Eryn felt a chill race down her back, goosebumps raising up on her arms and back of her neck. This was the same place. It had to be!
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

Duinion's amused snort brought forth an easy grin. Learning that Duinion had lied about his age to be able to join the force, however, surprised her. "Really?" she questioned, not hiding she would not have thought him the type to do such a thing. "You eh... fibbed... about your age?"

Eryn filled in he was in truth fourteen at the time. Kaylin raised an eyebrow. "A small, scrawny fourteen year old. Trying to pass for... what?"

Kaylin rolled her eyes when Duinion claimed the situation was different. "Quite different," Kaylin agreed, knowing Duinion would probably be glad she was agreeing and Eryn would already be protesting on the inside. "Back then, we were still at war with Sauron." Kaylin had never had any qualms about using the Enemy's proper name. "Now, we are at peace." She raised an eyebrow. Her conclusion had ended up rather against Duinion's opinion, and more in alignment with her friend's. Kaylin shot a grin at Eryn, and raised an eyebrow at Duinion.

Listening to the rest of the story, Kaylin tapped a finger against her chin. "Fortunate, indeed." She leaned over to Eryn. "Fortunate to have small blades. Which is what you'll be learning to work with from your dad and me, apparently. And possibly Unalmis?" she added lightly, questioning, not putting all too much emphasis on it in the presence of Eryn's father.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

Duinion shifted slightly. "It wasn't my idea," He assured Kaylin with a little shrug. He saw no reason to go into all of the details. "And there were.. extenuating circumstances." He added quietly.

"Sixteen," Eryn filled in the question, folding her arms as she leaned back. "Wasn't it your friend Domanol who suggested it?" She asked Duinion, pretty sure she'd heard that before.

He nodded slightly. "Yes." he smiled faintly at the memory of his friend helping him out of a bad situation. "And Addhor vouched for me, although I suspect Captain Rhosdolad saw through it.. but he didn't call me out on it." He shrugged.

"Wait, Addhor... Nal's dad... went along with that?" Eryn asked, a little amazed by that, as she just couldn't imagine the man going along with anything of the sort.

Duinion nodded. "Anyway, Kaylin is right," he added with a small smile. "It was different then. We were constantly having to fight, people got injured or dying.. they needed more people to join the ranks, all the time." He glanced briefly at Kaylin, figuring she ought to know about that. "But now, as she said.. we are in peace. There is no such demand for people to enlist to defend our borders. Which means, there's no rush to join." he pointed out. "So, you needn't worry. The rangers will still be there in two years."

Eryn sighed. "There's no arguing with him," She said to Kaylin, and shrugged. She'd tried, and heard, all the arguments before, and had yet to get anywhere with him.

"Oh, by the way," Duinion added with a little smile. "You asked about the deer, earlier?" He glanced from one to the other, as Eryn leaned in curiously. "After all the fighting was over, we found it lying there in the meadow, with Macardil's arrow in its neck." He grinned slightly. "I gotta say, I was impressed." He picked up his drink and sipped it quietly while observing their reactions.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

"Which also means," Kaylin countered, undisturbed, "that Eryn would be in much less danger if she joined now, at sixteen, than you were in at fourteen pretending to be sixteen."

She smiled innocently at Eryn. "I've yet to encounter someone whom I cannot argue with," she stated matter-of-factly. "Of course," she laughed, eyes flicking to Duinion with no small amount of merriment before returning to Eryn, "I should say the results do vary wildly."

When Duinion returned to the topic of the deer, and how it had fallen by Macardil's arrow, released right before the two had been beset by Haradrim, Kaylin was interested to hear about it - but she still rolled her eyes. "I'm glad to hear my future cousin in law has always been a good shot and all, but it is a feeble attempt at changing the subject, Tirdinen Raedor," she teased easily. "I know it is none of my business, of course. For the record I'm not trying to tell you you are wrong to try and hold Eryn back or anything. Besides, I only joined the army when I was older, for example. Even older than eighteen. However!"

Kaylin spread her hands, as if to invite them to look at her, as if she were living proof of the words to come. "Here I am, years later, still very much alive and kicking. Maybe us lady redheads are lucky?" she suggested, grinning at Eryn. "And what better time is there for a young woman to join than a time when the Rangers are headed by two exceptional, intriguing women like Captain Alarion and Lieutenant Dealedwen? Surely, they would have much to teach a young, female recruit!"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Child of Gondor
Amber
Dahaks Gift - Hinst

She'd noticed the woman's reaction to seeing her even if it were momentarily. Her eyes widened slightly. Was she going to hurt her? Her next movement caused her fears to cease as she told her not to speak yet and started to remove the gag from her mouth. When the dirty cloth was removed from her mouth she had to work her jaw for a moment to loosen up her sore dry mouth. Her mouth closed now she tried to swallow more to move her tongue then actually swallow as the woman moved to cut her bindings.

When her arms were free she moved to rub her wrist for a moment before taking the offered canteen. Her first want was to drink her fill to quench her parched throat but she had to stop herself when she was told to take small sips. She nodded her head slightly in understanding and pressed the opening to her lips holding the canteen with both hands cupped around it as if daring someone to take it from her. The sips of cool water ran down her throat easing it's dryness and she could wash away the taste of the gag with every swallow. It was not easy to pace herself but she managed, her eyes closing with relief.

They only opened again when she heard the woman explain who they were and ask if she were hurt. She paused between sips. Was she hurt? She'd just endured months or was it years of daily starvation, beatings and being branded like a spring calf. Not to mention the cause of the scars on her arms, the bleed letting from the horrid flame haired woman. Wishing to die only to be nursed back to life to be bled again.

"My hip hurts from being dropped here but I .. "She swallowed lightly. "I think that's all." She looked at the woman. "You're not taking me back are you? " She asked in a low suspicious tone as her amber eyes focused on the woman in front of her. Her mind already forming a plan to bolt for the door if the answer was anything but no.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
| Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Hinst - Dahak's Gift

Arnyn put a gentle hand on the woman's upper arm, right below the shoulder. "No," she said resolutely but kindly. "You are not going back. You're in Gondor now, and you are not going back." She paused to see whether that registered. Then she nodded slightly. "What can we call you, miss?" Amber might not be her real name. Or, if it was, she might prefer a different one now, after all she must have gone through. Who knew?

Once Arnyn had her answer, she gave the poor young woman an assessing look. "Alright. Don't get up yet. We are going to take things slow." She looked like she was starving, and might not have much energy, after all. Slowly, Arnyn straightened, and looked back over her shoulder until her eyes found Pele. Turning, strategically, so she was standing in between the 'gift' and the Captain and Kaylin, the Lieutenant hesitated momentarily before speaking. She would have to weigh her words in such a way it would both prepare Pele and the others, but would not alarm the innocent - and likely - traumatized individual behind her.

Meanwhile, Kaylin had figured out that the only interesting thing inside of this mill, was going to be the person behind the Lieutenant. She took a step away from Pele to see if that would give her a better look, but Arnyn was still blocking her view.

"Everyone," Arnyn addressed the group, even though her eyes rested mostly on Pele, both as Captain and as the person with whom Relic had the most history, "it looks like we were sent someone whom I thought would be long lost. The likeness of someone we have all seen, in passing or up close - and yet we have never laid eyes on the woman behind me. It is a gift she yet lives." In that sense, at least, Dahak was right to call her that. "I'm sure she has been through a terrible ordeal. And now she has gotten away from Umbar -" Arnyn's eyes moved from Pele, to Kaylin. "- she needs peace. And time to process." Arnyn paused there, assessing the redhead's gaze to see if Kaylin understood.

The redhead had frowned the second Arnyn had spoken of a 'likeness'. Someone was behind Arnyn whom they had all seen, but also not seen? That could only be one person, right? Kaylin had also figured the real Amber, or inspiration for Relic's Amber, would no longer be among the living. It was a huge surprise that she, of all people, would be here now. That is whom this Dahak had sent to Pele? Kaylin's eyes flicked to the Captain. Was it some kind of move to bring Pele off balance again? A joke? Or did this new slaver guy really mean it as a gift? Feeling Arnyn's eyes on her, Kaylin returned her attention to the Lieutenant and offered a small nod. What did Arnyn think? That she was going to lose it and try and stab the poor girl? Kaylin knew Relic was dead. There could be no doubt. She had seen it happen and she had disposed of the body. Worst case scenario, it was simply another evil sorcerer or sorceress to once again take on the same form of 'Amber'. Considering that possibility, her boots remained where they were.

As for the Lieutenant, she finally stepped aside, revealing Amber. From her new position, her gaze swept over the rangers in the mill. "Who has something small to eat for her?" she asked, while trying to see if Trastion had put two and two together yet. After all, from his current point of view, he wouldn't be able to see Amber's face quite yet.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

@Arnyn , @Rillewen , @Karis Ziranphel , @Isolde Alarion

Pele kept herself to the shadows just outside the open door, while she mostly scanned as much of the outdoor area as she could see once she had ascertained that there was no imminent danger inside, and that others were already keeping an eye on things there. Even though her eyes were focused on the outside, she still tried to listen in to the whispered conversation. While she did not really hear the words, it seemed to her that she could distinguish, not only one voice, Arnyn's, but also the second seemed rather familiar. But could it be? A shiver ran down Pele's spine, even though she remained unmoved and did not let her eyes stray from the task of watchfulness.

Her suspicions were confirmed when Arnyn finally addressed them all and described the person she had found. Hot anger welled up in Pele's heart, and her hand gripped the hilt of the sword so tightly her knuckles went white. How did Dahak have the cheek to send such a 'gift'? Had he not known? Or was this meant to harass her contrary to the wording of the letter? Even if he had not known... sending a human, a person, as if she was some sort of a thing? Pele forced herself to take a deep breath in and release it slowly, repeating the process two more times, and only then she turned towards Arnyn, and the woman behind her once the Lieutenant stepped aside.

Stay calm. This is not Relic. Pele pushed back the anger, cleared her throat and then responded in a calm voice: "I still have some dried fruit and nuts in my pouch of emergency snacks. It should be nutritious enough to start with."

The Captain turned now fully towards the two women near the sacks, her hand leaving the sword to search for the pouch she had mentioned, though she did not move forward just yet. It was not the woman's fault that Relic had taken her and had exploited her, and it would not do to release the anger on someone who had been suffering for who knew how long. Much like herself... The anger would be reserved for rightful purposes and targets, not to be let loose now.

Then Pele began to slowly approach Arnyn and Amber, as she untied her pouch and fished out some of the raisins and nuts to offer. She was careful not to make quick movements that might seem threatening, and so as not to crowd Amber, went down on one knee within arm's reach so that she could be able to comfortably take the food that she held out in an open palm of her hand. At the same time Pele automatically assessed as much as she could see of the woman's condition, and tried to discern whether there was none of what she had learned to sense around Relic. Umbarians were crafty, but she doubted that they all were equally masterful in sorcery.

"Here, eat these," she said, her voice gaining a quality of gentleness. "Only a handful at first, to take away the worst of the hunger pains."

Child of Gondor
Amber
Dahaks gift - Hinst, late August
@Pele Alarion @Arnyn@ Rillewen@ Karis Ziranphel
With a gentle hand on the her arm the woman reassured her that she was not going back. She felt the panic in her subside as she returned to taking another sip. When she asked what they could call her. "Am.." she had to swallow the last bit of her drink before she could continue. "Amber." It came out as almost a whisper, she'd not spoken so much in awhile and especially not her name. If not for the water she was sure she wouldn't have spoken at all she'd been so parched.

She nodded slowly in understanding when she was told not to get up yet and they were going to take things slowly. That was fine by her, she sipped more water as her amber eyes followed the woman as she stood and turned to face the others but she couldn't see them clearly herself, only their feet and legs were visible to her. She listened to the woman's words to the others, not really understanding some of it's meaning. She then moved aside and Amber felt herself being scrutinized under their collective gazes at least she felt that way.

From behind the brown unkempt strands of hair that crossed her face her amber eyes flicked from one to the other. The first she looked at was the one with the fiery hair (Kaylin) and she pulled her legs a bit tighter to her and her arms as well making herself smaller if even a little bit as her mind flashed back to the only other fiery haired woman she knew, the slave lady. She half expected her to reach out and grab her by the hair but when she didn't move she felt she could breath again and her eyes flicked to the next woman (Pele).

She watched her and noted the position of her hand on her sword. Yet another who's first reaction to her was to take up a weapon. She didn't understand this, she posed no threat to the them yet they felt the need to protect themselves. Was that how they were with every new person they met? She watched her search for the offered fruit and nuts as she approached them. Her eyes following the movement of the small pouch as she slowly approached them and fished out the contents. It was her eagerness to eat something that had her uncurling herself at the approach of the woman (Pele) who had went down on one knee. Her amber gaze flicked from the offered feast to her face, searching for any sign she might be toying with her about the fruits and nuts. It was a cruel game the slave keepers would play with their captives, a type of keep away. Then she looked back to the palm of her hand at finding no cruel intent in her eyes. She slowly reached out and gently yet cautiously scooped up the offering, then she pulled her hand back to rest near her chest as she used the other to pick out a nut and slip it between her lips after positioning the canteen where it wouldn't spill.

She was instructed to eat only a handful at first. She chewed slowly, savoring the taste. "Thank you." It slipped out between her swallowing and replacing it with a piece of fruit. Once more her voice barely above a whisper. She liked the fruits especially so she set to picking them out in her palm and eagerly eating them first. So preoccupied with her fruit picking she momentarily forgot about the others in the room and moved to seat herself more comfortably on the pile of old, musty bags.

Steward of Gondor

Trastion Leithor
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

Trastion had lost interest in trying to scan around the interior of the mill. He was fairly sure that if there was any other living thing in there, besides them, that it would only by mice. So, his attention was focused on the lieutenant and the hostage she was tending to. He figured that was a suitable term to use, though he might learn differently later. For now, he was merely curious who this girl was, and what had happened to result in her being tied up here. Obviously, the bad guys had done this, but he was a bit mystified as to the reason.

As Arnyn stood up and addressed them all, Trastion straightened slightly, and kept his attention on the lieutenant while she was speaking. But her words were a bit cryptic, and he frowned slightly as he tried to make sense of it, giving a faint nod when Arnyn mentioned that the girl would probably need time to recover and being through a terrible ordeal, and so on. But his thoughts were hung up on that one word she'd said. Likeness? They'd seen her likeness.. but hadn't seen... Oh, wait. His stomach knotted up a little as he began to suspect what she meant, and his eyes widened slightly. Could it be? His gaze was drawn toward the girl on the floor, as Pele spoke up to offer some of her food.

It hadn't quite occurred to him until now that the sorceress might have actually copied a real girl, and that the original might still be locked up somewhere. Subconsciously holding his breath, he couldn't help staring in shock at where the girl was sitting. It was a little difficult to get his head around the idea that this was Amber, and that she would behave much differently than the fake one had done. Sure, he'd seen the sorceress impersonating Arnyn, and he didn't feel weird toward Arnyn now. But it felt a whole lot different, in this case. His thoughts flashed back to the Midsummer day, when he'd met 'Amber' and tried to be helpful and give her directions. Tried to joke a little and reassure her that it was fine for her to get a little turned around, being so new to the place. And then how he'd been so worried about her, thinking someone had attacked them both, only to find out that she was the one who'd attacked him. And very nearly killed him unintentionally, though he was glad for the 'unintentionally' part.

His hands remained down by his sides, sword still in hand, but drooping to the ground as if he'd forgotten he even had it in his hand. His thoughts leaped toward the lump on his head, which no longer existed but had remained for a long while after she hit him. He didn't reach for spot, but still remembered how it had felt. How miserable that concussion had been, and how frightened he'd been by it all. And then there was the fire... but it wasn't this girl who'd done those things, he reminded himself. It was the sorceress, parading around using this girl's appearance all that time. Her likeness, as Arnyn put it. He swallowed dryly, and forced himself to let out the breath he'd been holding, slowly. He hadn't even gotten a good look at her yet, but just realizing that it must be her had made him feel tense.

Noticing Arnyn glancing his way, Trastion met her gaze and gave a tiny nod, trying to let her know that he understood what she'd said. He wouldn't make any moves toward the real Amber, but he also couldn't say that he'd ever feel comfortable being around her or talking to her, after his own experiences with the impersonator. But, at least he knew what to expect in advance, rather than being surprised later when he got a look at her face in the light.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

@Arnyn , @Rillewen, @Karis Ziranphel, @Isolde Alarion

Pele waited patiently for Amber to determine that it was safe enough to take the food from her, and remained kneeling for a few moments after, watching in silence as the woman began to eat. She could relate both to the caution displayed and the hunger, and compassion welling up in her heart erased the doubt that this could be an act by someone meaning harm. Having observed that Amber preferred the fruit, Pele slowly moved to sit on a sack not far from Amber and proceeded to shake some more nuts and fruits out of her pouch, making sure that the fruit were in majority.

"I am the Captain of these Rangers, Pele Alarion," she said, her tone kind and gentle, as she stretched out her hand towards Amber with more nourishment. "Feel free to simply call me Pele." She felt that introductions were not only polite but perhaps would make them appear less threatening, weapons or no. "You are safe with us; we will not harm you, nor let anyone else do so."

Pele lifted her eyes to meet those of Arnyn as she lined up all the questions forming in her mind, and yet it would not do to overwhelm Amber who had just been rescued, a 'gift' or no. Most questions would have to wait, except for deciding on where they would spend the night. It seemed that the enemies were nowhere in sight, and they could just as well remain here, under a roof, and both doors guarded. Else they could go into the village and look for someplace to settle, though it was already dark, and their appearance might upset the whole village.

"Do you have a home to return to, Amber?" Pele ventured only one of the many questions, which seemed the most relevant at the moment.

Child of Gondor
Amber
Hinst - Dahaks Gift
Late August
@Pele Alarion @Arnyn @Rillewen @Karis Ziranphel
Slowly, one after another of the handful of nuts and fruits disappeared and Amber watched the one who called herself Captain of the Rangers came to sit near her on the pile of dirty sacks while picking out more fruits and nut for her. She watched her intently as she chewed the last dried fruit. Once more the one calling herself Pele offered her hand out to her with more nuts and fruit. Once more and this time with a little less hesitation she gently took them from her and started to pick through for the best ones. Pausing only a moment to give her a slight nod of thanks before returning to her feast.

After a moment Pele spoke to her again, asking if she had a home to return to. The question caused her to stop chewing and she momentarily stared at the floor in front of her. It may have looked like she wasn't going to answer but finally she did. "No." It was simply spoken, she chewed once or twice before continuing. "All gone now, dead." It had been easier not to think of them and what happened to them so she turned her attention back to eating and taking a sip of water.

It was after taking a drink that she caught sight of a young man (Trastion) standing not to far off. His stance made her feel as if he were staring at her in disbelief, his sword drooping to the ground. "Why do they fear me?" She asked Pele between the two of them in a lowered voice, her eyes moving from him to her. "...and hate me?" The last came out almost a whisper, not sure she wanted the know the answer.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

"I never tried to claim that there was no danger to myself, when I was a recruit." Duinion mentioned quietly. "However... there was more danger, in a different sort, awaiting me, if I had not entered the rangers when I did. And that is something I prefer not to speak about." He looked at Kaylin for a moment before looking down again and focused on his sandwich.

Eryn tilted her head as she looked at her dad, then shrugged slightly at Kaylin. That was something she didn't really know about, as he'd never spoken of any sort of danger pushing him to enter the rangers. It seemed he had only told her bits and pieces, and she was a little curious now, but he'd said he didn't want to talk about it. So she sipped her drink thoughtfully, and tried to think how to move the discussion to something else.

"So, Kaylin," Duinion looked up again, feeling a little bad for maybe having dragged down the mood, and hoping to correct that. "What sort of suggestions would you have for a young lady learning to use daggers?" He nodded toward Eryn, and her wooden ones she wore on her sides. "I'm curious whether it would be the same or different from what I've told her," He added with a faint smile.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
Ademar Androllius (wearing uniform of Lt. of the Watch)
Pelennor - Southern Gate - Last day of Autumn Fayre (last year)
(With Unalmis and Cadil)

Mar had to admit, inwardly, that he was somewhat surprised by Unalmis' self-control after his insult about Ryndir. He had fully expected that comment to bring his enemy to such a fury that he would be provoked to attack Mar. Unfortunately, that meant his prodding had failed to produce the result which he wanted. While he was annoyed by that, he wasn't about to give up. Impatiently, he listened as they both rambled on about how he didn't need guards to serve as witnesses. He scoffed slightly. "As if you know anything about such things." He replied. Actually, he really didn't know much about it himself, as that was not something that had ever come up during the brief time that he really was a guard.

But it didn't matter, either. He had no intention of getting anyone to serve as a witness to anything, because he didn't intend to let them through the gate. As Unalmis began to speak again, Mar's mood darkened more and more with every word that fell out of the ranger's mouth. He actually had the audacity to bring up that incident.. again. Taunting him about his most humiliating moments from childhood. His jaw tightened slightly as he stared down his enemy with barely concealed fury. He drew in a slow breath, making every effort to maintain his composure. It would certainly not help matters if Mar ended up strangling Nal in front of all those witnesses waiting to get through the gate.

And then, to his amazement, the idiot actually did exactly what Mar had wanted him to do in the first place! Watching Nal march boldly into the guardhouse, his fury evaporated somewhat, and he maintained an unreadable expression. He could hardly believe his luck, but then, Nal had always had a habit of getting himself into predicaments that were likely to end him. He was a bit amazed he'd survived this long. But, whatever. Let him search the place all he liked, so long as he stayed in there a few minutes. Now, if he could just get the other one in there... he feared that might be tricky to do without causing a scene, since he didn't know much about him.

Turning to the one who evidently enjoyed his food quite a bit, Mar was already thinking swiftly about what little he did know about him. This one had already mentioned his food many times, as if worried Mar was going to steal it. Obviously, that was important to him. Mar could use that. The fact that he'd tossed his bag down, earlier, was in his favor also.

Suddenly, Mar swiftly reached down and snatched up the bag from where its owner had tossed it at his feet. "You said you'd be happy to wait, yes?" He asked rhetorically, while moving out of Cadil's reach in case he tried to grab it back, while attempting to keep his movements from appearing like anything but helpful, to the onlooker's eyes. Before there was any accusation of him trying to steal it, the false guard tossed the bag into the guardhouse after Nal. "Go on then, I have no interest in your food." He waved a hand toward the guardhouse to invite him to go ahead. "It's not the Wayfarer, but it's more comfortable than waiting out in the sun." He smirked faintly. "And don't worry. I won't forget to tell them to bring plenty of cushions for you." He added, hoping he wouldn't have to physically 'usher' Nal's friend inside, but he'd do it if he had to.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion
Carpe Diem – Part 26

Unalmis Raxëlilta. The last day of Autumn (last year)
In the Guardhouse of the South Gate. Facing the false ‘Lieutenant’ (Ademar) with Cadil

The gatehouse was not overly large, but there were places enough still to search. If that had been the young Ranger’s true intention. His hope though had been that ‘Rip’ would immediately panic and hasten to try and stop him. The chances of that guy not having something to hide were so miniscule they scarcely even registered in Nal’s consideration. And the want to see that smirk wiped off the jerk’s face ..

"Or... are you capable of making such decisions on your own, now that the Mutt isn't around anymore to tell you what to do .. ?"

The words had not paled with the small amount of time they’d had to sink in. They had not dissipated either. The anger and the upset .. physically hurt. It had stunned, most of all, first of all .. the surprise, and then the slow realisation that it ought not to be a surprise at all. This was just what ‘Rip’ did. But what ‘Rip’ wanted was a reaction, one that would prove he had made an impact. He wanted to prove that he held any sort of influence or power over others. Well, he wasn’t going to get what he wanted. That was why Unalmis had marched into the guardhouse.

Don’t let him change you,Ryn’s words, summoned as a shield, as a reminder, as maybe proof that the bully was in fact correct .. but still. What would his friend have said, if he were here to tell the younger what to do ?

Don’t let him turn you into something that you don’t want to be,” the reason rang true, and Nal did not know if he was recalling Ryndir have ever said this to him. Or that he simply would have done, probably, maybe, if he were here, now.. ‘Don’t let him decide when, and where. You want to stand up to him ? Fine. Do it when you’re ready. Not when he says that he wants to see it. Don’t give him what he wants .. Don’t let him be the one that tells you what to do ..

Unalmis had turned away from the Guard, whose attention he felt quite sure Cadil was well capable of facing without help on the outside. They had ‘Rip between them. They outnumbered him. And they were not playing his game.

His back to the Guard, then Nal began rifling, almost halfheartedly, through the small collection of items on a shelf. He stared at the wall close in front of him, and knew he could turn back around whenever he was ready.

And those words ( .. the ‘Mutt’ ..) rolled over and over inside the young man’s head until he wanted to dig them out with his bare hands. But no, he would save that energy for the antagonist himself. Just .. not in front of the unavoidably gathered queue of potential .. real .. witnesses ! Did the fool Guard think he was going to stupidly attack him ? In front of everyone ? After what had happened to Narradir when he had lost his temper with a City Guard ? That was a story they both knew as well as the one with the riiiiiiiip …

Unalmis was not Narradir of course. He was not likely to do so much damage as his father’s friend had managed without even meaning to. But it would be enough, ‘Rip’ would see to it. The Guard wasn’t asking for the Ranger to stand up for himself. He was expecting for the young man to throw all that he had worked for away .. all to counter the opinion of an idiot he did not even care for.

He moved a chair out of his way, not that there was much more room to transfer it to. He took a breath, and he took a moment, and then he resumed glancing around the small guardhouse, with thought of what would really annoy ‘Rip’. Besides Cadil of course. The want to find something really incriminating in the guardhouse wrestled with the need to keep his hands free. If the Guard was stupid enough to follow him in, to try and hide whatever he must be hiding …

(He comes in here, and I’ll show him a proper lack of witnesses ..)

The anger of the thought surprised even Unalmis, and he coughed out a short laugh. Clenching and then releasing his hands before him, the Ranger dropped them to his sides and sighed. He glanced distractedly about him, with more than half an ear braced for if he heard footsteps heading to join him. Out of (sight ) .. no. Out of the sun. That’s what he'd meant !! That was . absolutely .. probably .. maybe what he had meant. Raising up a hand on either side of him, Nal's gaze fell from one to the other. Both were trembling and it certainly wasn’t for fear. He’d not so much as looked to reach for the knife still in his boot. And it was no longer for concern that the blade would be confiscated. He didn’t need it. Not for this. He didn’t want the weapon in his hand. Not when he was feeling like this. Not for the sake of stupid ‘Rip’. No way.

He didn’t hear the bag which the Guard had plucked out of Cadil’s reach. It did not take steps, after all, it took flight. And the Guard was evidently keeping his tone amiable for the benefit of the innocent bystanders beyond. But brown eyes caught a glimpse or sense of something, barely, movement mostly .., as the luggage was flung toward the guardhouse, and Nal turned to face the door in the same moment that motion carried his friend’s bag through the air, and through that very doorway.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

@Arnyn, @Rillewen, @Karis Ziranphel, @Isolde Alarion

When Amber had taken the second offered portion of nuts and fruits, Pele took a couple of raisins and popped into her own mouth before replacing the pouch in its former place - it was clear that the girl had not eaten for a long time, and it would not do to overwhelm her digestion right away. Besides, even two handfuls would provide a fair amount of nutrition and sustenance to start with.

For some time it seemed to Pele that Amber will not answer her question about home, and she did not press for it, giving the young woman time to respond if and when she willed so. Eventually she did speak, and the Captain held back a deep sigh that threatened to escape her. In her opinion, the 'gift' was incomplete even if it was unhoped for, even if any Gondorian returned would be a gift. Being aware of how slavery permeated Umbar and its vicinity, there were still too many people that were torn away from their families, uprooted from their homes and land, being tormented and mistreated. And somehow Pele also felt that it was now her responsibility to do everything in her power to make sure that Amber would be able to settle back in, find healing and people she could call friends if not family.

Even though there was many a thought in her mind, Pele had said nothing in response, and lifted her thoughtful gaze from the ground at her feet to follow Amber's gaze to learn what had caused her whispered questions. She could understand why Trastion looked somewhat flabbergasted, and probably her own initial response had not been far off from it. She looked back at Amber and slowly reached out her hand to place it on her arm gently, careful in case the young woman was as wary of touch as she had been.

"It is not really fear or hate, only a great measure of cautiousness, and it is not really aimed at you," she responded as quietly as Amber had spoken. "But there is a long story behind all that which I might tell you at some point. No matter how it may seem, you have nothing to worry about. We will not mistreat you in any way."

"How about we collect our horses, take another good look - or listen - around, and settle here for the night?" Pele then spoke so that others could hear, wording it as a suggestion rather than an order. "It seems to me better to secure and guard this place since we have already ensured that the perimeter is clear rather than look for some other place at night."

High Warden of Tower
Cadil
with Unalmis Raxëlilta and the Guard Lt
The last day of Autumn (last year); at the Southern Gate

@Rillewen , @Ercassie

Arms crossed in defiance, Cadil listened in to Nal's words when his friend played off of what he had just said. Right. If the guard had been this way with others, perhaps taking bribes, there should be something in his guardhouse to show for it. And Cadil was very much intent on having something to use as a payback for all this inconvenience and annoying exchange of words.

"You better find someone to send..." he began to recommend actions for the guard to take and did not finish the sentence when Mar actually snatched up his bag before he could even unfold his arms to keep it away, and tossed it after Nal who had gone into the guardhouse - as if the bag weighed nothing.

"What if I had something fragile in there?" Cadil grumbled, hands on his hips now, as he bought a little bit more time for Nal to look through the guardhouse, unless he was distracted by that flying bag. "Why do you think it only contains food and not some precious family heirlooms that can be broken? Huh?"

Éowyn
Éowyn
Image | Image
| Hyandaner Kaylin Maethyr
Hinst - Dahak's Gift

Slowly, Kaylin returned her shield to her back and her sword to its scabbard by her side. Her arms crossed, she surveyed the responses. Arnyn was, as usual, annoyingly put together. She'd quite ruined the chance for fun reactions, Kaylin figured. Though... her blue grey eyes settled on Amber. It was better for her. If Amber was innocent and had suffered at the hands of the Umbarians, it would be better upon her return to Gondor not to face utter shock, fear or anger - or any other strong emotions that may come up from Pele, Trastion or... Kaylin herself.

The Hyandaner's gaze returned to Arnyn. Their Lieutenant. Kaylin's eyes narrowed. How had the officer come to be like this? Always so... in control? Arnyn was hardly older than her, and yet seemed to have this ridiculous amount of self discipline. The Lieutenant was still close to Amber, just a few steps removed. And while she looked relaxed, while she looked composed and calm, there was something in Arnyn's body language that Kaylin faintly recognized. She couldn't quite put her finger on it yet. But there was something. Something that was still... tense? As if the blonde would be right by Amber's side in just a second if something went wrong. Despite the casual way the palm of her left hand rested on the pommel of her sword, fingers open and slacked. Despite the ease of her posture as she glanced at Trastion to evaluate his response. Well, well, Lieutenant Deadledwen. You're not a bad actress yourself.

As for Arnyn, she met Pele's eyes with that same reassuring calm. She kept her silence. Having handed the reins over to the Captain, it was not her turn to speak until she was given leave to do so. She could not catch Amber's question about fear and hate to Pele, nor the Captain's reply. But when Pele suggested to spend the night at the mill, Arnyn's expression grew pensive. It was true that they had already scouted the surroundings of the mill, and had found nothing. Yet something didn't sit right about having Pele out here, while the new master slaver of Umbar would know exactly where she was... If he had someone watching. The Lieutenant gritted her teeth. She had become more paranoid about the matter than she liked to admit.

Regardless, Arnyn did not like the idea of spending the night at the mill. However, even if Pele had worded her thoughts as a suggestion rather than an order, it might not do to go against her. She moved closer to Pele and Amber and lowered her voice, but with the silence within the mill the others would probably still overhear, given she was still standing. "I would prefer to remove you from the place this new master slaver would now know you to be, Captain. We could also return to the White City under the cover of darkness. Nársulë can easily carry the two of us for such a distance," she indicated Amber and herself. Her stallion was strong and heavy. As long as they did not move too fast, it would not harm him. Arnyn then bowed her head, to show she would defer to whatever decision Pele might make.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

"Right," Kaylin responded, taking Duinion's hint. It was his right, of course. She would respect that boundary. However, that boundary still had nothing to do with him keeping Eryn from joining the rangers now. If Pele would take her, that is. Kaylin was a bit iffy on the exact details of how large the force was allowed to get, how many new recruits were allowed in - all that boring logictical stuff. That was for the King and the Captain to worry about.

Raising an eyebrow at Duinion's sudden question, Kaylin looked at him in silence for a moment. Finally, she shrugged. "Don't get cocky, I suppose." Her eyes travelled to Eryn. "As long as you're not at least at an intermediate level, I would not advise you to carry any openly. To some, openly carrying steel weapons as a civilian... especially a girl... it's almost like..." She looked a bit uncomfortable. "A challenge to some. An invitation, to others." She didn't particularly like speaking about this to a young girl - moreover, a friend. She remembered well how much she had hated the same conversation with her own father, back in the day. She had not taken his words at face value, of course. She'd had to go out and test them. Freaking stubborn streak. "My advice would be to - first, learn the basics. Second, learn how to keep someone else from getting their hands on your weapon. Third, expand on your skills. Only once you are both good and confident enough, carry your blades openly."

Kaylin shrugged again. "That doesn't mean you can't carry a weapon out of sight." She gave Eryn a half grin. "Though I'd still only recommend to do so after you've learned how to keep from getting disarmed. And most important of all, once you know when you should and when you should not resort to its use." With a sigh, she looked away. She didn't exactly love getting serious like this. But if Eryn wanted her help... and since Duinion was allowing it... it was what it was.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
Ademar Androllius (wearing uniform of Lt. of the Watch)
Pelennor - Southern Gate - Last day of Autumn Fayre (last year)
With Unalmis and Cadil

Rolling his eyes, Mar struggled not to lose patience. As Cadil protested about his precious bag, Mar decided he wasn't willing to wait any more. As a guard, he had given these troublemakers warning, had given them orders, informed them that they would not pass the gates without a search, had been more than patient with them, and yet they still insisted on refusing the search. They were being uncooperative, and so he was fairly sure any real guard would be within his rights to detain them. He grabbed Cadil's arm*, forcefully 'guiding' him toward the guardhouse, although he had to apply a bit of force due to the young man being somewhat overweight. "Just get in there already," he grumbled, making a supreme effort not to be overly rough in his actions, so not to draw unnecessary attention from the folks waiting in the line.

"If there was anything in there likely to break, it would've already done so, after your little 'adventure' with that tree," He retorted, with a nod toward the tree that he'd watched the pair trying to climb earlier, while he shoved the young man through the doorway and ignored any protests. That incident had provided some entertainment, at least, watching Unalmis fall from the broken branch, but now he was just getting fed up with them both. "If whatever's in there isn't broken to crumbs by now, then me tossing it won't do any further harm."

As soon as he had both of them inside the guardhouse, Ademar looked past Cadil at Unalmis, met his gaze for a brief second, and smiled. Not a friendly smile, but rather one of triumph. Perhaps, thinking to let Unalmis realize that he had just fallen for the very trap Mar had wanted him to fall into. Almost as quick as the smile flashed across his face, Mar swiftly swung the door closed, and slid the bolt over it so that there was barely any time for either to do anything about it. The place was designed with the intention of providing shelter for the guards during their shift, but it also served a double purpose; detaining criminals and suspects temporarily, until they could be brought to the city gaol. "Next time a guard gives you an order, I suggest you don't refuse it, if you don't want to be detained." He called, mainly for the benefit of the witnesses a short distance away.

Turning back to the line of waiting travelers, he let out an exasperated sigh and then 'forced' a polite smile as he motioned for the next person to come. "My apologies about that delay, sir. Those two were being quite troublesome, refused to be searched, even after I told them it was mandatory..." He shook his head as if unable to understand people being so difficult. Since the older guy had only heard some of the louder comments, mainly about how they had to be searched, and that the two were indignant about the fact, and the last bit about them being defiant, the man merely nodded his understanding and gave no protest to being briefly searched, and hurried on his way as soon as he was allowed through the gate. Mar made a similar apology to the next several people in the line, all of whom were curious about what had stalled the line for so long but had been too far to hear anything going on. Soon, the line began to move along at its former pace, and before long no one remained who was near enough to have been any sort of witness to the ordeal. All the while, he kept a sharp eye out for the one he hoped to find.

(*done with permission from Cadil's writer)

Trastion Leithor
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

Trastion was not near enough to hear the exchange of whispered questions and answers, but he tried to regain his composure after a moment. Despite feeling totally out of his depth in this particular situation, he was really trying his best not to do anything that might get him chided later. And after a moment, it occurred to him that staring at the girl might not only be frowned upon by the captain and lieutenant, but he would have chided him for that back home, too.

Shifting his weight, he turned his head away, and looked around for someone else that might be able to help him figure out what he should be doing. Pele and Arnyn were busy trying to calm the girl, Kaylin was looking at Arnyn and Pele. He'd last seen Thullir outside, and Vorondil was just inside but he didn't see him. Probably being stealthy and staying out of sight, Trastion thought. He felt like he should be doing something, but didn't know what to do.

About that time, Captain Alarion spoke up suggesting they get their horses, and settle in for the night. Trastion was preparing to head out to gather his and Arnyn's horses, when he heard the latter speaking up with a counter-suggestion. It was probably not meant for everyone to hear, but he heard anyway, and glanced toward the pair of them, waiting to see what the plan would be.

@Arnyn
|
August

Listening as Kaylin took the invitation to give Eryn some advice, Duinion nodded slowly with approval after hearing what she did have to say. That was actually something he might not have thought of, given his own avoidance of the city. And the fact he was not female, and didn't really know as much about the challenges that a girl might face as Kaylin would.

Eryn tilted her head thoughtfully, listening, and nodded slowly as she thought over the various things Kaylin had said. "Well, how do you carry a big dagger like this, and not let it be all.. obvious?" she wondered, pulling out one of her wooden ones to look at. "Not that I plan to carry weapons around when I'm going to the houses of healing to work, but.. you know." She shrugged, thinking about the idea of getting a small knife to keep on her person for.. just in case.

"Some of what I intend to teach you deals with disarming your opponent, while not getting disarmed, yourself." Duinion mentioned, with a nod of agreement when Kaylin brought that up. "Although, it is a bit difficult right now to do anything of the sort." He added, with a brief glance at his ankle. "But I do think you should know how to defend yourself, if necessary." In fact, that was the only reason he was agreeing to let her learn this stuff. It was the same reason he had taught her archery years ago, for the sake of helping her know how to protect herself if she had to, in case he was not there to do it. There had been a war then, though, and he'd had to send her away for her own safety...

"Perhaps me and Kaylin could work on some stuff together?" Eryn suggested, hoping she might get to start learning some of these things now, and glanced with a grin toward Kaylin. "If you want to, that is." She added. She definitely didn't want to make Kaylin feel pressured if she didn't want to or something.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

First listening to their reactions and watching their exchange, Kaylin slowly nodded at Eryn's suggestion the two of them could work on a few things together. "We could. You know I only told you no earlier because I knew Duinion hadn't signed off on it."

"As far as how you are supposed to carry a proper dagger covertly... You don't." Her tone was very matter-of-fact. After the inevitable frown, confusion or disappointment that would come from Eryn, Kaylin shrugged and pointedly removed a thin knife from beneath her sleeve. And another from between two layers of her belt. Followed by another from the inside of her boot. "You can carry other small blades without people noticing, however." Her blue-grey eyes flicked to Duinion, as if checking whether he still approved. "That way you are not only left with hand to hand. Although, I should repeat... I would rather you did not take any of these out when facing danger until you know the basics of how to use them and how to keep an opponent from taking them from you once you take them out. While I understand Duinion's inclination to teach you this so you know how to defend yourself, and while you will be stronger with a weapon - a greater threat to your opponent... It's also always worse to be faced with an opponent with weapons than one without."

"Maybe I can teach you some of the basics about the smaller knives, first. You can still carry one without anyone knowing, and use it for utility if nothing else. It can also feel reassuring. And your father can focus on teaching you about those wooden daggers?" she asked, her eyes flicking to Duinion once more.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Éowyn
Éowyn

Riding Adventure
August
@Rillewen @Romeran

While the guessing had been fun, neither Trastion nor Romeran had managed to name the correct location. "I win," the Lieutenant declared, her tone almost saying she felt bad she had ended up the victor. "As such, I'll be taking the last watch." The one that would see the dawn. It was her favorite. Choosing to say out loud why she had picked that slot - for the two rangers with her deserved at least a glimpse at who she was, as well - she smiled softly. "No uninterrupted sleep, and I can watch one of the most beautiful moments of the day." She turned to Romeran. "So what will it be, trainee? First or second watch for you?"

After Romeran had made his decision, Trastion was stuck with what was left. He didn't seem to mind much. Arnyn wondered how used or unused he was to night watches. Most found it difficult not to fall asleep. To be fair, setting a watch on an expedition like this, if they were to camp on the way to some place, might be overly cautious. It could never hurt, of course. But was it truly necessary, if they were to find a place to camp that was a bit... out of the way? Probably not. Regardless, it would still be good for Trastion and Romeran to get a taste of what an actual ranger mission would be like. And that included less than full nights of sleep.

By the time the sun was getting low and they were close, the Lieutenant decided to share their destination with the two men. "We are going to Amon Din. We'll be giving the sentinels there a night off."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

Upon hearing that there was apparently no way of carrying a dagger secretly, Eryn found this minorly confusing. Of course, the size dagger she was talking about would be difficult to hide, of course, and she realized that really, the only way she could was to hide it under her skirt, strapped to a leg or something, which would make it rather.. inconvenient to try and access in a hurry. So yes, she nodded as she accepted Kaylin's answer.

Upon seeing her pull out some smaller knives, Eryn's eyes grew wider, and she smiled to see this. "Neat!" She leaned forward curiously, wondering how she had never noticed that Kaylin had those.

Despite watching curiously as the hyandaner pulled out some small blades to show his daughter, Duinion's expression didn't show any surprise at this. Seeing her glance briefly at him, he gave a tiny nod to confirm this was fine. "She's right," he agreed, after hearing Kaylin speak a bit more on the matter. "Having a knife, in case of emergencies, is all well and good, but if your opponent manages to take it away from you.." He left the rest unsaid, and let Kaylin continue.

Looking from Kaylin to her dad, Eryn was a bit surprised to hear them actually agree on this. It almost seemed like the impossible had happened. But she nodded. "Right. Where could I get some little knives like that?" She wondered, already thinking perhaps of Cali, but she also wasn't sure if she was actually allowed to go asking the ranger smith to make her stuff.

Duinion smiled slightly. "That seems like an excellent plan." He nodded. Mentally, he couldn't help thinking, whenever it came to a sparring match between him and Kaylin, he'd prefer if she didn't have any sort of advantage on knowing his fighting style. Although it was a really minor part of his thinking. He mainly just felt better about knowing what his daughter was learning, and perhaps a small part of him wanted to be the one to teach her. But there would be other things, too, that she could learn from others.

@Arnyn @Romeran

Recruit Trastion Leithor
Riding adventure - August

(I will assume that Rome chose the second watch since that is what he chose in a previous RP. Hopefully he'll rejoin us soon!)

Trastion remained quiet, though he did wonder if there was a particular reason why Arnyn gave Romeran the first choice of which watch. Not that he particularly minded, but he was curious. As it turned out, Trastion got the first watch. He smiled. "Fine by me." he said, feeling quite satisfied with that result. It meant he also got less interruptions in his sleep, and would get to sleep while others made breakfast, right? Which was probably for the best, given his lack of cooking skills. Taking shifts sleeping, watching their camp, would be a relatively new experience for him, but one he wished he'd had the luxury of doing before, during that period of time when he was fleeing from home.

As they rode on, he went quiet for a while, just thinking, or occasionally chatting with the others. At last, the day was nearing its end, and he was starting to wonder if they were going to set up camp somewhere. He was keeping an eye out for good spots to stop for the night, when Arnyn spoke up at last, and revealed their final destination. Trastion looked up with curiosity. "That sounds interesting!" he replied, curious what sort of stuff they might expect. "I would not have guessed that, I don't think." he laughed.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Captain Pele Alarion
Hinst - Dahak's Gift
Late August

@Arnyn , @Rillewen , @Karis Ziranphel , @Isolde Alarion

While she had not made it overtly clear that suggestions of how they spent their night were welcome, Pele still waited a while and was rewarded with Arnyn's counter-offer. She did not respond right away, looking around the mill at her Rangers and their watchful positions, and then she looked back at Arnyn. She could not deny that the words not only provided a different option to act on but also warmed her heart reminding her that she was not alone and was cared for. A small smile lingered on Pele's face, when she regarded the 'gift' once again. The Captain's concern was for the woman's wellbeing and if she would be able to take the travel reasonably well.

"Amber," she first spoke to the young woman, and while her voice was gentle there was a hint of something in it that did not leave room for much arguing. "We are not going to just leave you here. You will come with us to Minas Tirith, and I insist that you stay at the Houses of Healing at least until healers have properly seen to you and have gotten you back to reasonably good health."

Pele sought out Arnyn's eyes, and then offered a small nod, getting back to her feet afterwards. "Of course, there is a risk in staying here," she agreed to the Lieutenant's previous statements. "And it would not do to raise the whole village afoot. So we might as well return. Without too much haste, taking breaks as necessary. Let us do that then and set out."

"Can you walk, Amber?" she asked the young woman, offering her a hand for support.

@Rillewen
Carpe Diem – Part 27

Arkadhur / ”Lowendir”. The last day of Autumn (last year)
Approaching Ademar at the South Gate, in a stolen wagon.
with an equally stolen Cali Dringolben and Iole Ishen aboard.

As the queue before him grew smaller, and the South Gate itself loomed ever larger, Arkadhur glanced back over his shoulder for he had lost count of quite how many times by now. The wagon though still boasted all five barrels, two only with contents but he was not one to overlook his odds and the truth was that a lazy inspector may check in one and elect not to subject himself to doing so again in order to probably just find four more of the same. Ademar had said he’d be on this gate, at this hour, but the Umbarian was used by now to preparing for any eventuality.

The barrels with the two girls in were on the interior of the collective as well. Which meant that anyone with mind to strike the side of each wooden container, much less to glance in the top, would have to climb physically into the wagon in order to reach the ones which were not empty. Besides which, the girls could not bounce off the back of his trap without a more dispensible barrel being lost before them, which ought to grant the driver some warning enough to keep from losing his prize.

He had cause to be wary and expect objection from the gate guard. Not for the fact of exporting young women out of the Pelennor, but because Ademar had specifically asked for a different young woman than those he had been brought. The false Guard wanted that red-headed vagrant. And the fact that he’d been desperate enough about the matter to let Arkadhur know this proved that Ademar wanted this particular redhead particularly badly.

What he’d be getting though, .. well, it wasn’t likely that the Guard would turn this little harvest down or maybe even be too disappointed. Arkadhur’s planned ‘explanation’ that the two young women he had brought here were privy to the whereabouts of Mar’s actual quarry .. would even maybe have been enough by itself, even if Iole had not obliviously told him who she and her friend were. Friends of Unalmis. Which meant they were no friends of Ademar. Quite the opposite. Arkadhur had seen how the traitor Gondorian relished cruelty toward those he counted his particular nemeses. The Guard would not be able to turn down this opportunity.

The question was, of course, whether Ademar would still turn down the opportunity to betray Arkadhur regardless, two birds with one stone, so to speak. The Umbarian had put enough thought into the possibility to plan out a few means of emergency escapes, if it came down to it. He was not doing this deed out of the goodness of his heart, or for any loyalty owed to Ademar. It was simply the latest of countless diversions and distractions all designed to misdirect his enemies so that they were forced to look many ways at once, and heighten Ark’s own chances of getting away amidst the anarchy.

One sound out of either of you,” he had warned his captives, before they properly were in anybody else's earshot, “and I’ll go for the other of you before I am took. You will regret crossing me, I promise. For the rest of all your days, you will live with the knowledge that you caused the end of your dear friend. Don’t forget that. Don’t you think .. on any but that ..

The message had primarily been meant for the nurse’s daughter. Cali, he reminded himself of her name. The other one, Iole had scarce clung onto consciousness for the entire trip. He almost envied her the ignorance of what was going on. Not that he could afford to consider any concern for either of his hostages. There was little chance that Ademar would be able to take possession of them, here, now, at the gate. No, he likely had somewhere already in mind for the Umbarian to deliver his little cargo. And then, as promised, he would have no further use for them.

Which was not to say that Ademar had no further plans for them. Or that Arkadhur could not take the fact of their going ‘missing’ as a means to blackmail their relatives regardless. The undertaker out in Pelargir would have no means of knowing that his daughter was no longer in Arkadhur’s reach, after all. And a nurse … a nurse in Minas Tirith .. it did not hurt at all to have a medic on his lists. The things she could put her hands on, the knowledge that might serve him if he needed his life saved … No. Let Ademar do as he willed with his non-friends. Arkadhur could long make use of manipulating their desperate kin, even after the young women had been rent to bones and blood. As long as loved ones had hope of their long-lost being returned to them, then so did Arkadhur have a hope of this all having been worth the extensive risk.

The fact of these being the friends of Unalmis, and that runt being a pet of the Lady herself .. it had not escaped the Umbarian’s thought, that if she learnt of this, and even remotely suspected who might have had a hand in it, .. maybe she would regret not returning his messages. Two birds, sooooo many stones.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

@Rillewen @Pele Alarion
Carpe Diem – Part 28

Unalmis Raxëlilta. The last day of Autumn (last year)
In the Guardhouse of the South Gate, with Cadil
And an all too familiar antagonist, just outside

His hands came up almost on instinct to keep whatever was coming at him, fast, from striking him in the face. Unalmis caught it in both of those hands, but then stunned, recognising .. Cadil’s bag ?

Lowering the pack down from head height, he was granted sight of Cadil himself, being herded toward the gatehouse by ‘Rip’. While the Ranger had half hoped to have a moment with his foe in this aside, he had not factored in the Guard bringing his friend along for good measure. There was no time to object or halt his complaining accomplice before Cadil was driven forth by the wrath behind him. Unalmis, though now facing the open door, was forced to back up towards the far wall of the small gatehouse, to keep from being mown down by the newest arrivals. In moments, he was pressed so close up against the single chair within, that he might as well sit down on it. But the young Ranger managed to stand upright, just barely, with the rim of the seat digging into the back of both legs.

Cadil was rather inconveniently now stood between Nal and the source of all contention, but the Guard’s smile carried over that living barricade, only to disappear, in a culmination of triumph.

Wait .. no, no no No !

All the count of times that he could say the word did not lend it the strength to stop the sunlight vanishing behind hard studded wood. The sound of a sliding bolt soon succeeded the slamming of the door behind Cadil and then ‘Rip’s gloating rebuke reached them, from far beyond all reach and chance of repercussion.

Sinking onto the chair, Unalmis cursed under his breath, before asking his friend if he was alright. “What just happened ?” he wondered, aloud, as though it wasn’t blatantly obvious. In hindsight. As the shock began to subside and it became clear that Cadil was not badly hurt, Unalmis could recognise that they were not entirely encased in darkness within. There was a long slender window running down part of the way alongside the closed door. No doubt for the Guard to glance through, if the weather was unkind, and/or the traffic outside was few. He could see the back of the man out there now, calmly waving on the queue that had been backed up, returning all things to business as usual.

Except .. this was not supposed to have happened ! At least not from Nal’s understanding. Had this little trick been ‘Mar’s plan ever since he started on about them sitting to wait in the gatehouse ? Or had he simply seized on the opportunity which Unalmis had stupidly provided him ? It made little difference really. All that mattered was undoing the thing. As soon as ever was possible.

His friend’s bag still in both his hands, Unalmis stood up again, to try and place it out of the way on the shelf beside him. But it soon fell off the too-thin ledge, bringing down a candle and tinder box with it. Apologising to Cadil, the Ranger tried to think how best to manoeuvre around their small enclosure. “Can you slide it under the chair a moment, with your foot ?” he suggested. “I need to .. just ..” A clumsy side shuffle saw Nal almost exchange places with his friend so that the former could reach and face the door, while the latter could now choose to sit down and inspect his property for damages if he so wished. The candle rolled against Nal’s foot, and he tried not to slip on it, though if he put an arm out in either direction he could find a wall to keep him from falling right down. He wasn’t even sure there was room enough to fall down properly. He had never realised how spaceless the gatehouse was until there were the two of them and the chair in there, or maybe it just felt small after the joys of frolicking about outside most of the morning. Maybe that was it.

The sight of outside was not much of an improvement to finding himself inevitably stuck inside. For the door was without a doubt unwilling to give way, and the slender window did not open. Unwilling to strike at the glass with his bare fist, Nal glanced down to where the candle and tinder box were effectively being kicked about the floor. Both had soon enjoyed a turn at being thrust hard at the window, to no avail, and the young man considered the shelf .. if there was some way to get it unhitched from the wall, then he could use it to smash the window, reach his arm out and make a play for the bolt. If it was just a sliding bolt … But following the line of sight, Nal saw that the door was hinged on the window side, which meant his arm would not reach along the outside far enough to grasp any lock, even if they did manage to try such a thing without meeting the Guard’s immediate protest.

Any ideas on how we can get out of here ?” he asked the room, well, Cadil .. before he began to run low on possibilities himself, and panic .. There was no way they were going to just sit and stay like an obedient dog. Waiting to explain to the guard who relieved ‘Rip’ .. in this heat .. and to the Lieutenant’s eventual amusement at painting their endeavours in the worst possible light to his contemporaries .. no. They had to get out, and their best chance would be before the backed up queue began to relax and their captor’s attention along with it.

We could use the tinder and candle to set fire to the door and then .. then we could suffocate before that door ever gave way ..” he conceived and abandoned another option. Glancing around again, he noted a book that was hung from a piece of string from the underside of the shelf. Opening it, curiously, with the window granting enough light to read, it seemed to be updates of things to look out for. The most recent entry was something about an escape .. ironic. Sadly it did not give mention of how such a thing might be achieved from inside a locked gatehouse. Sliding down the wall, Unalmis gathered up the candle and the tinder box, to return them to a place he would not step on either. In standing back up, he began to note the tide of wanted posters which were tacked about the wall on every side. One a familiar smuggler, .. another just a very young looking girl .. not a single one of them though would justify ‘Rip’s suspicions about the two young men he had decided to detain. And the Guard didn’t even know about the hidden knife ! No, this was personal. And .. infuriating. And it would not be stood for. But how ? How how how were they going to get out ?

Leaning his head flat against the closed door, Unalmis laid a hand flat on either side of that, as though he could will the portal to open with his mind. What happened next .. he could not have expected, and paused, slowly removing contact with the wood. Backing up across the small room was not too far possible, and the Ranger made himself return to the door just once, to make sure he was not losing his mind .. already ? Last time it had taken … hours, days before he started to imagine things ..

He almost hoped that he was imagining what he was hearing this time, as then. Because that voice, that voice he knew. He had heard it though a wall of wood before, and a swift rush in one step toward the window brought him a most unwelcome confirmation. His left hand slid limply down the door length, gathering a splinter of wood on it’s path .. but he did not notice, as Nal watched the latest arrival leap jauntily down from his wagon outside, and greet the nefarious Gate guard.

A lovely day for it,Arkadhur met Ademar and patted the side of his packed wagon, with meaning. “I suppose this is the part where you ask if I’ve anything to declare ..?

Inside the gatehouse, Unalmis did not realise he had backed up all the way toward Cadil until he almost fell into his friend’s lap.

Child of Gondor
Amber
Hinst- Dahaks Gift
Late August
@Pele Alarion @Arnyn @Rillewen
She watched Pele follow her gaze then look back to her, her hand slowly reaching out to touch her arm. The touch was gentle and gave no intention of causing harm but the feeling of someone touching her arm caused her to withdraw it slightly as the Captain spoke just as quietly as she had. Her amber eyes searched the Captains blue eyes for a moment and found no reason to suspect she couldn't believe her words. She offered her a small nod and forced her arm to relax as she returned to finishing the last of her small meal while the Captain addressed those with her.

She listened to her suggest they stay in the mill for the night then the other woman (Arnyn) suggest they return to the White City. Offering her own horse to carry them both and as she swallowed the last of her fruit the Captain addressed her before answering the other woman. She was told they weren't going to leave her there and she would return to the Minas Tirith and the the Houses of Healing. Amber offered no argument, accepting that anywhere was better then where she'd been and she got the feeling the Captain wouldn't have it any other way.

She took a last drink and watched and listened as the Captain decided for them to leave this place. When asked if she could walk Amber nodded slightly. "Yes although my hip hurts a bit." She took her offered hand and used it to support herself as she got up. She was a bit unsteady at first but got her bare feet under her, favoring her hip slightly. She looked at the Captain and gave her an encouraging nod. "I'm alright." She even managed a small hint of a smile, glad to be getting away from this place.

Steward of Gondor
Private with @Ercassie
Ademar Androllius
Posing as Unalmis Raxëlilta
Under a large oak tree overlooking the Pelennor Fayregrounds
Noonish, sometime in the Spring
(continued from here)

He had Ric to thank for his information, though his brother didn’t even know he had supplied any. Mar watched the grasses sway in a breeze as he thought over the details again. Ric had come to visit at the castle, as he did at times. Mar would rather he didn’t, but at least he could give orders to his staff at the castle, that no one was to mention his identical twin, or discuss his existence. But anyway, Ric had come to see him. During supper, Mar had ‘casually’ asked whether anything interesting had happened during the course of his brother’s duties. And much to his surprise, something very interesting had, indeed, happened. An elf, astride a pure white horse, dressed in the colors of the Mole, had been turned away from the gate. A pale elf, with pale eyes, with a dangerous, Melkor-may-care sort of attitude, whom Ric had even suspected of being an assassin. The description had struck Mar immediately. Though he had never seen that particular elf before, he had certainly heard his description, and he had very little doubt about his identity.

The rest of that day’s events had struck even more curiosity within Mar. Two men, who had arrived at the gate just moments before the elf's arrival. Acting suspiciously, as Ric described it. Their descriptions were of interest to Mar as well, though of course he had to make his inquiries in such a way that his brother would not become suspicious. By the time Ric had left, however, the more devious twin was already forming his own ideas about the matter. One of the men described sounded.. an awful lot like the man whom his mentor was searching for. The other… Mar was fairly certain it was the squire of that lady Knight, the one who was related to Unalmis. He remembered seeing him around a few years ago, helping his nemesis recover after he managed to escape from Umbar. He still didn’t think that was fair. Nal wasn’t supposed to escape!

Anyway, Mar’s investigation had been a bit tricky. Figuring out where those two had gone once they were in the city. Taking a chance on assuming that he was right about these descriptions, and his hunch that the elf was aiding the other two somehow. Hearing Ric’s tale about the ordeal had made Mar a bit suspicious that it sounded like a diversion, though his stupid brother never seemed to suspect it at all. He could roll his eyes at that. But he had maintained a politely interested expression while he listened to what Ric was telling him. And then he had quickly begun his own exploration into the matter. Now, his labor and instincts had paid off. The man, the one who had wrought so much destruction to the temple, and to Pharak personally, was actually coming to meet with Mar. Under false pretenses, of course. He could barely hold back a wicked grin to himself as he spotted the man in the distance, coming toward the tree. Coming to meet his 'nephew’ after all these years. How sweet. Mar could have thrown up, but instead he steeled himself to put on a convincing act.

Trying to make his face show an expression something like hope and anxiety, perhaps nervousness, Mar's gaze followed his progress as the man approached the tree. He seemed intrigued with those initials carved on it. Mar knew it was something to do with the Annoying Five, and that it was they who had carved it, but he couldn't say if there was anything else to the symbol, for they had always kept that a secret among themselves. Not that he cared. He was currently interested in learning what had brought Domanol back, after all this time, and what other information he could get from him.

“Uncle?” He spoke with a hopeful tone, tentative, as if fearing it may not actually be, but hoping it was. Mar decided that acting could definitely be fun. Of course, it would be more fun if he could fast-forward to the point when they had captured Domanol and began torturing him (or whatever Pharak had planned). And then Mar could relish the look on the man’s face as his ‘nephew’ was finally revealed to be working alongside his greatest enemy. Would he reveal to him then, that he was not really his nephew? or let him believe that his own nephew had betrayed him? Such a hard decision, that one. He had to fight inwardly to keep a grin off his face, but then decided, why not? He allowed a small grin to creep onto his face, but tried to make it seem as if 'Unalmis' was merely happy to see his uncle. “I.. I can't believe it's you. I thought we’d never see you again!”

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

Kaylin shrugged. "There are a few smiths who make them, and some places that sell them. But it might be preferable if I would procure them for you," she added thoughtfully, thinking she didn't exactly see Eryn walking into every one of these places. And Cali had so much work as the Ranger smithy, she probably wasn't allowed to take any civilian orders... unless she did them in her own time or something? If Kaylin were to put in an order though... Cali would just be able to make the knives on the clock. It was just a little white lie.

"You know," she started, grinning at Eryn. "You could learn a lot from watching experienced people at work, too." The Hyandaner raised an eyebrow at Duinion. "Once your foot is up to the work," she added, almost graciously. Proceeding to return her small knives to their hiding places, she was pretty satisfied. It was good to see Eryn had been surprised. Eryn had had no idea she carried these. Not that she would have been looking for them, but still. It had truly become a second nature to Kaylin. Before returning the last knife, she paused and held it out to Eryn. "Okay. If you are going to learn this, you need at least one to practice. If Duinion agrees, and if you promise not to use it in a fight until you're well and ready... You can have this one now."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

@Rillewen
Relative Strangers

’Gwandhyra Harion’ (actually Domanol Raxëlilta) – some time before Midsummer
at the big Oak Tree in the Pelennor Fields. Noon-ish.
Come, thanks to a letter, to meet with ‘Unalmis’ (actually Ademar)

Drawing his hand back from the gnarled bark of the tree, Domanol curled his fingers into the scarred palm, as though he might hold and keep the memory that this place evoked, forever, in his grasp. He had forgotten. Not the basic recollection of the facts, but how it felt. To stand where they had sat, to gaze up into the leafy canopy of where they had used to climb. Where little Duinion had tumbled from the boughs above, and a blood vow had been made amidst the tears that had been shed below. There were greater memories of course to be unearthed still, as a new chapter of his life prepared to unfold.

The young man turned around and beheld his expected guest. The elder halted in his slow advance and considered the stranger before him.

Nephew ..” he matched the greeting in return. And how strange, to speak the word, that title, to it’s keeper, rather than to simply refer to this relative stranger in passing. He was not now speaking of. He was for the first time in nearly twenty years, speaking to .. Unalmis. And a grin and more excitement tumbled from the young man’s face scarcely before Domanol had chance to say more. Now that was certainly familiar.

I rather can’t believe it either,” he allowed, relaxing in kind into a grin beyond the beard. And yet, there was no commitment as yet. This still could go either way. One hand fell upon the sword’s head as he approached a few steps closer. Testing the waters. He tilted his own head a little side on to better appraise the other.

You must be about the age now, that I was when .. ” the sentence revealed, quite belatedly, it’s risk to veer off into grievous subject matter. So with a short cough, the Ranger of the North looked for another avenue of introduction.

I would apologise,” he ventured, a little gruffly, as brown eyes dropped to the ground. “If I dared to think that I might find forgiveness. For .. much that I have done.” Best have that clear, from the outset. He did not intend to presume that he was innocent of all damage done.

The list of that damage though had been more extensive than he had ever imagined.

His mother .. dead. His sister-in-law .. fled .. with his brother and nephew left to fend for themselves .. it had been as much a wonder though to find Addhor uprighted, as it was to see the boy .. wait, no .. young man before him. Grown ..

Nardy told me .. what I have missed,” he sighed, and shook his shaggy head somewhat forlorn at the great changes that time could endow. For good and for ill. “I did wonder whether you might ever want to see me again ..” he straightened up but sank into a thoughtful observation of the keen-eyed fellow standing before him.

But here you are,” one hand extended forth to gesture to the point, and Domanol threw back his head in a show of surprise, satisfied. “And a chip off the old block, by the look of it !” he nodded once and his eyes smiled for the rest of him.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
|
August

The idea of Kaylin procuring her a knife made Eryn smile. "That'd definitely make it easier," She agreed. "And I've got plenty of money to reimburse you for however much it costs, too." She made sure to add, not wanting to make it seem as if she intended to accept stuff for free.

As Kaylin mentioned the idea of Eryn watching experienced people at work, Duinion gave a little smile. "She's been doing that since before she could walk," He informed Kaylin with slight amusement. In fact, he wouldn't be surprised if she already knew a few basics when it came to fighting with weapons, but he also didn't want to assume. He also gave a small nod when she added 'when your foot is up to it'. He hoped it wouldn't be too long, but at least he was making progress.

Eryn grinned slightly. "Yeah," She agreed with him. "Where we used to live, there was this little sparring ring in the backyard, and he'd use it for training a recruit or just practicing stuff," She remembered. "I used to come out and watch as much as I could, but that was.. a long time ago." She shrugged.

Duinion nodded silently, thinking back to those happier times with a mix of sorrow and gladness. He focused for a moment on finishing his lunch while Kaylin and Eryn were talking.

As the red-haired ranger stopped before putting away her last knife, and instead held it out to Eryn, her eyes widened slightly. A grin spread over her face, and turned to look at her dad, hopeful.

Mildly surprised, Duinion looked up as he heard the part about 'If Duinion agrees'. He finished chewing his mouthful of food as he looked at them, then swallowed, thoughtful. "I have no objection so long as you agree to that condition." He said to Eryn.

She smiled happily. "Of course," She agreed. "I promise," She then added, thinking maybe 'of course' might not be good enough to convince them. "Will you show me how you keep it so well hidden?" She asked Kaylin, hopeful.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
Private with @Ercassie
Ademar Androllius
Posing as Unalmis Raxëlilta
Under a large oak tree overlooking the Pelennor Fayregrounds
Noonish, sometime in the Spring

"Nephew.."

He sounded almost tentative, Mar thought. He gave a smile in return, as if with encouragement, and soon his enemy's uncle broke into a grin. He couldn't help but notice his hand resting upon his sword, but it did not seem like a gesture of threat, rather one of habit. He watched Domanol for a moment, trying to seem merely as if he was assessing his 'uncle' in return, but in truth, he was watching for any indication that he might be suspicious. So far, so good, it appeared.

"Ah, yes.." He answered, concerning the age matter. "Twenty-two." He gave his own age, before suddenly recalling that Nal was actually a year younger. "Or, well, I will be on my next birthday." He added quickly, with a slightly awkward little laugh. "I suppose you haven't seen me since I was quite small." He did wonder whether he had actually seen this man back when he was actually that small. Mar's father had known Domanol, he knew, having heard about a certain incident.

The apology caught him slightly off guard, and he blinked at the man before him before realizing what he must be referring to. "Right," he cleared his throat quietly. He folded his arms over his chest in a comfortable position, and leaned his shoulder against the tree, listening as he went on to explain that 'Nardy' had filled him in on some things. The proclamation that he was a 'chip off the old block' made him smile in genuine amusement. Really? He wondered why he would think so, since he definitely did not look anything like Nal. Thank goodness.

He considered quickly how to respond, and a thought came to him after a second or two. "About that," he hesitated. "That's part of why I wanted to meet you." He explained, lying of course. He waited a moment to give the man a chance to react, whether with surprise, curiosity, or whatever, before he offered any further explanation. Enough time to form his thoughts a bit better.

"See," he frowned, as if troubled. "I must admit, I hardly remember you, myself. I've heard.. a good deal, of course, but.." he shrugged. "Most of what I have heard is... not very good, I'm afraid." He paused, thinking swiftly to make sure he had his information correct. "Well, from my father, anyway. I heard a different tale from Grammy-O." He had always heard Nal referring to his grandmother in that way, and had prepared himself before he came for this meeting. He had versed himself as well as could be, with what his enemy called his family members. "She used to tell me about you, and I believe what she said of you. But my father.." He paused. "Well," he carried on. "The point is... I wanted to warn you, Uncle. Because you are family, and I would.. hate for trouble to come of your being here."

His expression grew serious as he continued his acting job. "Father is.. still very angry with you. He has this notion that you ran off with my mother, and he.. doesn't seem willing to believe any other explanation for the fact you both went off at the same time." He had, in fact, brought up this fact on many occasions throughout his childhood, with the purpose of trying to upset Nal and his friends with the idea. And now, he hoped to cause enough concern to prevent this man from approaching his brother, until he wanted it to happen.

"And then there's the.. other thing." He added, turning his head away. "Father blames you for.. the Umbar thing." Mar explained. "He says if he ever sees you again he'll kill you." He paused, glancing at Domanol. "It was because of you, you know. Because," he cleared his throat, reminding himself to make sure and mind his words. "they wanted you. And they thought using your nephew would have been enough to make you come." He glanced questioningly toward Pharak's enemy. As that had been his first excursion into that world, Mar was actually curious why the man had not come, and so may have been fishing a bit for an answer to that question. Why hadn't Pharak's trap worked?

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen
Kaylin
August

With a happy glint in her eyes as Duinion agreed, Kaylin nodded to Eryn's request. "I will!" she pledged. "Any preference on where you would like to learn to hide a knife?" While she was willing to teach her friend, it still felt as if she should take care not to divulge too many aspects of her old Tirdinen training. After all, Eryn was not yet a Ranger. Kaylin would definitely tread carefully when it came to her more... covert skills.

After Eryn divulged she wanted to know how to hide it in her belt, Kaylin grinned. "Excellent choice. For not every outfit has sleeves, but you can basically slap a belt onto anything, right?" she asked, her blue-grey eyes filled with approval at Eryn's choice. She even glanced at Duinion, as if to say he had raised a smart one. "Though this won't work with just any belt," she began. To make it easier for Eryn to see and understand, she unbuckled her own belt and spread it out over the grass. "So." Another glance at the two of them. "It sort of goes without saying," she drawled, "but I would like this not to become common knowledge or practice." There was a firmness to her voice that she did not use often. "If I hear this gets out, it will be the last thing I teach you, Eryn." Once they were all on the same page, Kaylin showed Eryn - and, since he was there, Duinion - how it was done.

"Since you chose the belt..." Kaylin put her last knife away instead of handing it to Eryn. "You'll need the belt knife." She raised an eyebrow. "It's a specific kind - as you might have noticed when I pulled it out earlier." Kaylin pointed at the belt buckle. "As you can see, it appears to fasten with this." Kaylin shook her head. "But it really fastens with this part," she explained as she showed it to them. "And what looks like the actual fastening system, deploys into your knife." She pulled it out again, showing them how what looked like the buckle doubled as the knife's handle. Kaylin rose to her feet and put the belt back on. This time, she took the knife from her belt slowly, so they would be able to follow. "And when you need it as you are wearing the belt, you just pull here with one hand - and maybe here with the other, it makes it easier - and you have your knife in hand. You also don't have to worry about your belt dropping because it's still fastened the other way," she added with a short laugh. "So the handle really hides in plain sight. But the blade is hidden in a very small leather sheath on the inside of the belt. Always be careful when you put the knife back."

Kaylin sat back down. "I think this belt and knife is kind of wrong for you. But I do have another at home that would suit your style. You can come claim it on your next dairy run or when you have healer training."

Since she wanted to make up for not actually handing Eryn a knife to keep yet, Kaylin offered to show her friend some moves. It was good, she figured, to have Duinion there. Kaylin could be sure he would call a halt when he thought something was too dangerous or inappropriate - though it should be said that the Hyandaner was very mellow in comparison to when she was training someone officially.

It had proved to be an excellent outing. Kaylin and Duinion had gotten a chance to speak and get an idea of what the other was like, Eryn had made substantial progress with one of her goals, and the happiness in Eryn's eyes was clearly valuable to both Duinion and Kaylin. It was, therefore, no surprise that Kaylin later returned to Minas Tirith in good spirits.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength