The Pelennor Fields, Osgiliath, The Northern Fiefdoms (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
Daisy Dairy Farm - Cerimë

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

Duinion smiled slightly. "Well, I know enough to know which herbs are safe to use in the wild, and which to stay away from. Which ones can be used for some things... such as white willow bark for pain." He shrugged. "Ironically.." He glanced at his foot. "This happened while I was in the mountains searching for herbs to bring to the houses of healing.. and you want to know the funny part about it? One of the plants on my list.. Arnica, is apparently useful for helping broken bones mend. I didn't even know that part at the time.. I thought it was only for bruises." He grinned slightly.

He merely shrugged at the suggestion that Aggie was only returning the favor. He wasn't sure that was the right way of putting it, but it didn't really seem important to correct the statement. Instead, he focused on what Arnyn said next, about trying to get a feel for who he is. He paused to think on that. Most of those he was close with had already known him long enough that it wasn't necessary to ask things, or else they were recruits who learned bits here and there as they worked with him.

He kept quiet, thinking on that, as she described the arrangements from a previous mission, and frowned slightly. He thought that might have occurred while he was in Rohan, in a more personal mission, but couldn't be sure of the timing. Not that it really mattered. Taking a sip of his tea, he debated the best way of answering that. Finally, he shook his head slightly. "I don't believe I could have endured that, so yes, I imagine that would have been a problem for me." He frowned. A fortress? Sleeping inside, with multiple people per room.. not likely. "Although," He added, slightly worried what the lieutenant might think about his ability to perform his duties, "I don't believe that should be any cause that would hinder me from participating in missions." He glanced at her, wondering if that would be some sort of problem. "I can't really say what I might have done in that particular case, but.. I'm usually quite good at problem solving," He offered a faint smile.

At the last part of her question, he returned his gaze down at the cup. "Yes, once," He agreed softly. He set the cup down carefully, thinking for a moment. "Some things which happened in my childhood have had..lingering effects, and I would rather not speak about those things. Idhrenel.. helped me to feel comfortable enough to sleep indoors, so long as she was with me. She.. helped me with many things." He paused before adding, "I sort of...fell apart for a while, when she died. There are still times I find myself picking up the pieces, as it were."

Glancing up, he nodded in the general direction of the house. "I think Aggie is coming..." He commented, fairly sure he'd heard a voice from near the house, but she was still out of sight.

Erynneth

Eryn shrugged at the question. "I really don't know that much about that stuff, but she did seem to know what she was doing." She answered. "I couldn't tell any difference, and I haven't heard anything about it from him... so I'm guessing it wasn't noticeable." She smiled. "I didn't know my uncle very well.. I was very young when he died. But he was nice, I remember that, and my dad says he was a very skilled smith."

She laughed as Buttercup nudged her hip with her nose, through the gap in the fence. "I don't have any treats, silly," She told the horse, grinning. "Maybe later." She grinned and turned back to Kaylin. "Well, I do hope they like me." She still didn't know Trev and Iole very well, but they had both seemed friendly enough.

She paused as Kaylin asked her if it was hard riding bareback. "Um.. it's not to me? But I don't really know if it's any different from using a saddle. I've never really had one to use. Except.. that one time, when I went rode off to the forest to look for my father.." She added, frowning thoughtfully. That had been only one time, a long time ago. "That's only because the horse already had a saddle on it though. I remember it felt kind of weird, not being able to feel the horse's sides very well, but that's about it." She suddenly looked around, realizing something. "Um. You've not seen Hattie have you? A big, friendly black dog?" She asked. She was nowhere in sight, and that usually meant she might be doing something she shouldn't.

"Aggie"

The moment she stepped out the door, Aggie was quite eagerly greeted by the farm's most energetic guest. "Hattie, down," She ordered, without success. Trying to balance a tray filled with lunch while fighting off a very excited, curious dog..was that even possible? "Hattie... stop it," She managed to barely avoid the tray getting tipped over, and then used one hand to hold it balanced on her shoulder to make sure it was well out of Hattie's reach. That done, she hurried onward, though she had to be careful not to trip over the dog as she continued to hold the tray out of her reach. Hattie, undeterred, trotted alongside the woman, tongue lolling out happily as she eagerly gazed up at whatever was on that tray. A couple of times, the dog leaped up into the air, trying to get a look, but Aggie swiftly moved the tray to the other side before she could accomplish any mischief.

After somehow navigating her way through the brief expanse of field from the house to Duinion's camp, Aggie might have normally called out to give some warning (in case he and his guest were speaking about some secretive ranger things), but with all the noise she'd made scolding Hattie, she thought it rather unnecessary. He'd know she was coming along with Hattie, by now. So she emerged into the clearing, with Hattie happily circling her as if she thought it was some sort of game to see if she could jump up and get what was on the tray. "I uh.. brought some lunch for you both," She was holding the tray above her head by now. "But Hattie won't leave me alone," She added with a laugh.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Éowyn
Éowyn
The Pelennor Fields, Cerimë (summer)
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She frowned slightly at his response about the sleeping arrangements. Was he saying he was creative enough to... do whatever he liked? What would he have done in that instance? Put his bedroll in the fortress courtyard?
Arnyn turned her cup around in her hands, working to filter her own thoughts. Especially after the things he said next and since Aggie was fast approaching, heralded by Duinion's comment and Aggie herself who was talking rather vehemently on her way over.

"Everyone has their own challenges, and difficulties to cope with," Arnyn began quietly. "And though I am aware some challenges are harder to deal with than others, I--"

Arnyn got no further before Aggie and a dog came in earshot - and as she turned to look, in sight - and she fell silent. She greeted the woman with a smile, and laughed briefly at the dog. "Hattie, is it?" she asked in a calm, reassuring tone, yet didn't make eye contact with the dog nor face her head-on. Arnyn had learned that you should let a dog come greet you, if it was so inclined, and not to go and loom over them and pet them unsolicited. It was convenient that she was sitting down already. The Lieutenant adopted an easy smile, and when she blinked she did so slowly. She looked at Aggie, instead of at the dog. "Lunch? You needn't have on my account, Aggie, but thank you very much for your kindness."

Kaylin

Kaylin found Eryn was throwing a lot of things at her at once. She narrowed her eyes at the girl with some amusement. Evasive maneuvers? Or just... youthful enthusiasm? She couldn't be sure.

"No, I have not seen a dog, sorry," Kaylin replied, looking around for good measure. However, before allowing herself to be distracted further by the mention of bareback riding and dogs, there were other matters she wanted to open up for conversation.

"Well... as for the..." she lowered her voice, though they were rather obviously alone, "...dagger. And all that. You have managed not to breathe a word of it to Duinion? I've noticed he's not giving me any flack, so..." So she assumed that the adventure Eryn had wanted to keep a secret, had in fact remained undisclosed to the Tirdinen thus far. And she felt safe to continue to the next question on her mind.

Kaylin crossed her arms and leaned in towards Erynneth slightly. "You were blushing just now, did you know? When I mentioned Unalmis and his friends. Anything going on there?" She had to fight a grin, and wondered why she was fighting it at all. "Something you perhaps would like to share with a friend who is rather skilled at keeping secrets?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion & "Aggie"
2 weeks after midsummer

"Oh, it's no trouble," Aggie assured her. "I hope I haven't interrupted anything, but I thought, it's been a while since breakfast for Duinion, and it seemed like a good opportunity to bring some of our products for you to sample, if you like... Hattie, no!" The dog had quickly become interested in the new person and eagerly ran over to Arnyn to see if she wanted to play. If Arnyn didn't prevent her, she would be all over her in seconds. Worried the lieutenant would be upset, or possibly even alarmed, Duinion quickly reached over and caught Hattie by the leather collar, pulling her toward him. "I'm sorry, she gets excited," He apologized to Arnyn for the dog. "Yes, Hattie. She belongs to.. a friend," He wasn't sure if Nal would like his name disclosed, "but she's recently come to live here because it's more spacious, and Eryn sort of.. volunteered. She's a friendly dog, I assure you. She's really just a puppy."

With Hattie now held secure, Aggie sighed in relief and offered the tray so Arnyn could take it. "There's some slices of chicken meat, a few kinds of cheeses, rolls, regular butter and honey butter.. in case you'd like to try either one. There's also scones and jam and clotted cream, and a few other things.. Oh, and there's fresh milk in the pitcher... I was worried I'd spill it, with Hattie pestering me the whole way," She added.

"Did you leave anything in the larder, Aggie?" Duinion teased, amused. "I believe she's trying to make a sale.. there's a little of everything here." He commented.

"Well, she asked for samples," Aggie protested. "I tried not to leave anything out. All the dairy items on the tray are things that we produce here." She added to Arnyn.

Duinion grinned. "It looks delicious, thank you Aggie. You really didn't have to do that though."

"And have you roaming off trying to forage something, when you're supposed to stay off that foot?" She replied, shaking her head. "No way. If I didn't bring it, I would've sent Eryn. But she's visiting with her friend, so I didn't want to disturb her."

Erynneth

After looking around a bit, Eryn decided to worry about Hattie later, figuring she was running around in a field or something. Hopefully not bothering the cows. Kaylin's question served to help take her mind off of Hattie, and she smiled reassuringly. "No, not a word." She assured her friend. "Unless he somehow knows and hasn't let on that he knows.. he has no clue at all that I ever left the farm. And aunt Aggie didn't know where I was going, only that I would be out overnight." She grinned. "So, you should be fine. I think he is sort of curious how you and I came to be friends, though." She added with a light laugh.

The slight pinkness returned to her cheeks as Kaylin pointed out that Eryn had blushed at all, though she turned to try and busy herself with stroking Buttercup's nose. "Was I?" She asked, rhetorically, before a grin stole onto her face, despite herself. "Well.. it's just.." She hesitated, then gave up the facade and let out a sigh. "I really like him... I know it's probably silly, but I can't help it..." It seemed strange, saying it out loud, and in the presence of someone else.. and she felt a little nervous admitting it out loud. Glancing over at Kaylin to see how she'd respond to that, Eryn nervously played with the ends of her hair. "Do you think it's silly?" She asked a little hesitantly.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
An Unexpected Delay
Heading eastwards along the road from MT

@Romeran , @Rillewen

"I suppose each place has its own beauty," Pele said thoughtfully, as she swatted away a mosquito that kept buzzing near her ear. "Rohan with its vast rolling meadows is one thing, and then Dol Amroth with the sea, ships, stately buildings and all that. Perhaps I should invite you to join me whenever I head towards Rohan next?" She did not plan any travel that way too soon, but it would not hurt to visit again.

She glanced at Romeran when he asked if she had been to Dol Amroth and had seen a Swan Knight. "I have been there just once," she said. "Might be strange, considering that I've travelled to Rohan much more often, hmm? Besides... we have a Swan Knight among our ranks. Ilisys is technically a Swan Knight. Have you met her yet? She is our Ehtyar Ranger."

Noticing that a small boy had climbed on the fence of his farm and was trying to get their attention by waving at them heartily, Pele waved back and chuckled at the big smile the simple gesture brought to the boy's face.

"Do you like to travel, Romeran, or do you prefer to settle somewhere comfortably?" she asked and then turned to their other companion. "And what about you, Trastion?"

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran @Pele Alarion

Trastion Leithor
New recruit

An Unexpected Delay

Trastion glanced around as he rode along with the other two, but he kept quiet, especially as the conversation turned toward Dol Amroth and Swan Knights. He glanced briefly toward Rome, before turning his attention to gaze out at the fields and things along their way. A part of him wanted to eagerly talk about some of the things he'd done growing up, places he'd seen, events he'd attended, and the like. But he knew that to say a word of such things would reveal far more than he'd like to reveal about himself. So he let Pele answer Rome's question.

Until something the captain said snapped his attention back to her. If he'd been walking, he might have stopped in his tracks. A swan knight in their ranks? He quickly realized that his eyes had widened in surprise, and was glad that he was riding a few paces behind them. He hastily turned his head away as he tried to adopt an uninterested expression. But as the captain went on to name the knight, his heart was racing. Ilysis? Surely not Ilisys Azrubel... but who else could it be? So that meant... Lady Azrubel was a ranger?! When did that happen?

He and his brother had admired lady Azrubel from afar at countless jousting tournaments, growing up, and had both been very impressed that the woman had the nerve to do as she did. Even more impressive was the fact she won so many jousts against the men who criticized her for becoming a knight, thus proving she was just as good as any of them. Still reeling mentally from learning that the lady knight was now ranger, Trastion nearly missed it when Pele asked him a question. "Huh?" Blinking, he appeared to have maybe been daydreaming while they were talking, and it took him a second to register the question. "Travel? Um.." He thought for a moment, and hesitated. "I've done.. a bit of traveling. I'd rather just settle somewhere, though. Like here, in Minas Tirith." But would he be able to? He grew quiet and reflective as he pondered this new bit of information, somewhat worried, but hoping perhaps there was nothing to worry about.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

Before she could hold out a hand for Hattie to sniff, Duinion had grabbed the dog and pulled her away. "I don't mind, Duinion," Arnyn said reassuringly. "We never had a dog, living in Minas Tirith, and I would never have one as long as I reside in the city. I've had friends with dogs, however, and during my time in the north a stray took a liking to me and my food foraging skills," she laughed quietly, "and we travelled together for a long time." A dog like Hattie would not scare her easily. "You can let her go, if you like." Of course, the choice was up to him.

She accepted the tray from Aggie, then, looking over the items as the kind woman pointed them all out. Arnyn smiled at the exchange between Aggie and Duinion.
"Thank you, Aggie. I did ask for samples, and you've handled this quite nicely." She glanced at Duinion. "Three birds with one stone," she said more quietly, referring to their previous conversation, and meaning to say that Aggie had found a third perk: adding in the samples from the farm. The Lieutenant looked back at Aggie. "Thank you for taking such good care of him. I know he's family, but it still gladdens my heart to see one of the rangers so well cared for. We would do the same for him upon the Sixth, but..." Arnyn shrugged, still smiling at Aggie.

Kaylin

Kaylin chuckled after her initial relief that Duinion was still in the dark about their outing. "He hasn't asked?" she wondered, somewhat surprised. "I wonder what I would tell him, if he ever asked. 'Ohh, well your daughter likes adventure as much as I do, plus she saved my life so it was kind of a no-brainer' - probably wouldn't satisfy but rather fan his curiosity." She pointedly looked at Eryn for a moment.

In response to Eryn's question, Kaylin's eyes widened and she raised her hands to shoulder level. "Noooooo! It's not silly at all, Eryn! I would be the last person to call it so - sometimes I still feel like a crushing girl myself. Now, just to be sure: are we talking about Unalmis or one of his friends? And does he have any idea?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion & "Aggie"
2 weeks after midsummer

While he was relieved to hear that the dog didn't bother Arnyn, Duinion let out a little laugh as she suggested he could let her go. "If I did that, she'd knock over the tray in her excitement, and trample or eat everything on it, and we wouldn't have any lunch." He informed her, though he held his arm out to let Hattie get close enough that she and Arnyn could become acquainted if they so chose. He put up his free hand to shield his face from her excitedly wagging tail. "I'd hate for this nice lunch to be wasted, after Aggie put so much thought and effort into it." He added. With a glance at the tray he smiled to see that, as usual, she had carefully arranged all of the items so that the entire tray made a good presentation of the products.

"Yes, well, it is a long way to go, with his foot as it is." She mentioned with a neutral tone. "Erynneth has been doing a good job of making sure he goes to have it checked often, and tending to him herself as best she can."

"Hm. Yes. She's even enlisted Unalmis' help in her endeavors," Duinion added, recalling how the young ranger had assailed him with hints and pressured him to go for a checkup, after that ranger meeting when Arnyn had been promoted to Lieutenant.

"Would you like me to take Hattie with me, or leave her with you? Do you think she'll behave?" Aggie wondered.

"I don't know... I've been trying to teach her to lie down and stay, and be calm. But she may be too full of energy at the moment." He frowned, looking at the mischievous pup. "Sit, Hattie." Instead of sitting, she decided to climb on him, trying to lick his face as she gave him a doggy hug. Laughing lightly, he pushed the dog off. "That's not what I said," he grinned, shaking his head. "What do you say, Lieutenant? Shall we trust the dog to stay with us, or send her to pester Aggie so we can eat in peace?"

Erynneth

Eryn shook her head. "No, he didn't ask, but, that's probably because he never knew I was ever gone." She pointed out. "He didn't come back from the mountains until some days later, and..well, he was injured..." She felt slightly guilty about that.. not only did Kaylin get hurt because they went off on that adventure, but her dad also got hurt around the same time, and it had turned out slightly lucky for her because it helped her keep him from finding out about it. "I suppose we could just say we met at the market. Since that is where we met," She pointed out. "If he ever asked. He loved the boots I picked out for him that day, by the way." She added with a grin.

She was relieved to hear that Kaylin didn't think her crush was silly, and smiled. "Oh, Nal, of course." She answered quickly. "I barely know his friend, Trev. He seems nice, but.. no, I've liked Nal for ages." She blushed further, admitting that. "Like two years at least... ever since I met him." She admitted with a small sigh. "No, he doesn't know." She widened her eyes. "You won't tell him? I don't want him to feel weird toward me or anything. We're friends... and I wouldn't want to ruin that by making things awkward." She took a moment to loosely braid a portion of Buttercup's mane that was nearby. "I'm not sure how he feels about the other girls, though." She added, with a small frown. "Especially the one that was in the yellow dress. They came to it together..."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She laughed. "From the looks of it, it seems like Hattie will be the one choosing where she is going to go, not us." She held out her hand for the pup again, to let the dog get used to her smell. When Hattie came closer and did not back away again, Arnyn softly rubbed the side of Hattie's neck. It was wisest never to pat a strange dog on top of the head. A better acquaintance was generally required for that - at least, if the dog wasn't exceedingly friendly. You could risk a pat on the head with tolerant dogs, but Arnyn had yet to get a better estimate of Hattie's character. She seemed friendly, but dogs could surprise you.
"Your call, Duinion, Aggie," she ended up saying, shrugging lightly even as she let her hand fall away from Hattie. It wasn't a rejection toward the animal - if Hattie liked her and wanted to play, she would let Arnyn know, and the latter knew as much.

"Meanwhile, it sounds like Eryn is encouraging you to do no more than take good care of yourself," Arnyn said mildly. "Most of us need someone to do that, once in a while."

Kaylin

Kaylin didn't know Unalmis' friends herself, unfortunately, so both the reference to Trev and to 'the girls' were quite lost on her. She had noticed the one in the yellow dress, yes, but she'd noticed the color more than the actual girl in it. Since Unalmis knew the group, she assumed they needn't be scrutinized. And her thoughts had been... otherwise occupied.

"Well, arriving together doesn't mean anything. Or even going together. I've spent many an evening with guys I had no feelings for." Only realizing how that sounded after she'd finished the sentence, Kaylin made a face. "I mean - they came as a group, sort of, yes? I've spent lots of time with a group of friends where one or several of them were guys - and that didn't mean anything. So while it is possible Unalmis has a thing for one of his other friends, much in the way you have a thing for him, it's definitely not something you should assume." Kaylin shrugged. "But I can see why you would be concerned. It's only normal. But even asking point blank in these kinds of situations doesn't always work - people lie, or they're in denial themselves... so I have little advice for you, I'm afraid..."

"I would draw on experience, but Thûllir was... very interested... from the start. And, to be honest, so was I." She thought it over another moment. "And it sounds like you know Unalmis better than I do, so I can offer you no hidden insights into his character."

She crossed her arms and scrunched up her nose a little. "So I'm rather useless, it seems. The only thing I can say is... Thûllir kept surprising me with what he said and did, and I liked being surprised and caught off guard and challenged, I suppose. But I don't know if Unalmis is the same way. What is it, Eryn, that attracts you in him?" Kaylin shrugged. "This is me being shamelessly curious, by the way, not questioning your choice of a crush." She shot a grin at her friend.
Last edited by Arnyn on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion & "Aggie"
2 weeks after midsummer

If not for Duinion holding her back, Hattie would have climbed all over Arnyn and covered her face with licks, but as it was, she strained against the collar, and when Arnyn stopped petting her she whined with longing looks toward the platter of food.

"Sit, Hattie." Duinion managed to press her hindquarters down so that she did as he said, but the dog was so wriggly with energy that she looked ready to spring up at any second. "She would have you believe that she doesn't get fed regularly," Duinion commented with a small laugh and rolled his eyes. Hattie gazed at Arnyn with big pleading eyes.

"Don't believe her, she just ate her own meal not long ago." Aggie revealed, spoiling Hattie's begging scam.

Just then Hattie made a sudden desperate lunge toward the platter, catching Duinion by surprise. He didn't lose his grip on her collar, but the unexpected jerk pulled him over, as he wasn't at his best for balance at the moment. A pained gasp escaped him as the action had swung his legs in the opposite direction, the injured foot slipping off of the pillows propping it up, and against the ground before he could stop the motion.

Aggie winced as she saw this, and hastily grabbed Hattie's collar, deciding the energetic dog had better stay away from Duinion for now. "That decides it.. come on, Hattie. Are you alright, Dui?"

Jaw clenched in silent suffering, he managed a small nod in reply as he carefully eased it back onto the cushions, returning to his former position. His foot was throbbing now in pain, and he didn't want to yell or groan or make any noise to let on just how much it hurt.

"I'm sorry.. I should have just taken her away before something like this could happen." Aggie sighed apologetically. "We're going now... I hope you enjoy the food, Lieutenant." She kept a firm grip on Hattie's collar. "Eryn or I will be back later to check on you." She added to Dui, and then waved to Arnyn with her free hand while dragging Hattie away, though the dog seemed reluctant to leave her new friend.

Erynneth

Listening as Kaylin talked, Eryn nodded thoughtfully. Kaylin's experiences didn't really help her much. And she knew from having heard stories before, that her father was very interested in her mother the moment they met, so that didn't help her either. In fact it seemed that everyone she knew that was a couple, had been interested from the start. So none of that helped her, and she had no idea how to tell if a boy was interested in a girl, or what. Nor did it sound like Kaylin had much advice on how to find out what a boy might be thinking. Still, it was a slight relief to hear her say it was normal that she needn't be concerned.

With a little laugh, she tried to think exactly what it was she liked about him, when Kaylin asked, shyly looking down at her braiding. "Oh.. I don't know, he's just.. really friendly, and nice... and funny." She smiled, thinking of how often Nal made her laugh. "And he's fun to be around." She glanced up. "Ever since I met him, I just really enjoy having him around." She smiled, thinking a little more on it. "We both like a lot of the same things, and.. I think he's good looking.." She blushed further at that admission before continuing, "And he supports my wanting to be a ranger, too. He spoke in favor of it, trying to help me win my father over on the matter..."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She chuckled when Hattie pretended she was famished. The dog's sudden lunge surprised her, and while she first thought it was amusing, Duinion's gasp was clearly fuelled by pain, and Arnyn cringed as it happened, knowing there was no way she could be quick enough to stop it from happening.

A frown settled between her brows as she wondered whether Duinion's foot should even bring him this much discomfort - pain - after months.

"Thank you, Aggie, for the food. I will find you later for my purchases." She looked at the dog. "Bye, Hattie," she added in a calm tone. She let Duinion assume his former position by himself. Lending a hand too easily tended to sting for most warriors she'd known.

Arnyn sipped her tea again, and gave Duinion a thoughtful look as Aggie and Hattie returned to the farm house proper. "Looks like Hattie has that typical puppy energy. And looks like your foot was hurt worse than I thought. Have you been given a prognosis? How long do they reckon it will take to heal? It's been a few months already, no?"

Kaylin

After listening to Eryn's words, Kaylin nodded with a smile. "Yeah, that ought to do it." Especially the bit where Eryn said that Unalmis - Nal, as she called him - supported her ideas for the future, and was even trying to get Duinion to change his mind on the matter... Well done, Unalmis.

She pondered Eryn's possibilities, and also whether her friend was daring enough to perhaps try something. "You know... there are a few things you could try. Perhaps to... open his mind to the possibility of seeing you in a different light." She gave Eryn a half grin. "You never know with Unalmis, of course. I have the idea he can roam in a world of his own up there," she added, tapping her temple briefly. "But it is worth a shot, perhaps..."

"I figure you're already looking for ways to spend time together? And one-on-one, not just with other friends? I guess I always loved it when I found out Thûllir and I had something in common. You could look for those, or emphasize those things and bring them up in conversation. And um..." Kaylin grinned. "Have you tried innocent touches? Brushing his arm when you pass? Touching his arm or shoulder when you talk and you can make it seem natural? Or does the very idea make you want to crawl in a hole somewhere?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

Exhaling slowly, Duinion watched Aggie leave. Gradually the pain faded back to the dull ache he'd become more familiar with. "Prognosis," He repeated, thinking a moment about what the healer had said. "At the last checkup, they said it could be another couple of months, maybe even three, before it's back to normal." He sighed. "Or, til I can walk on it, something like that." He frowned. "For now, though, I'm supposed to stay off of it." He frowned at the injured foot, as if it were somehow to blame for his predicament. "Something about some broken bones, not setting right, or trying to heal wrong, I don't know exactly. It's taking much longer than I would like, but.. they tell me it will heal. Eventually."

Remembering his tea, he picked it up and finished off the rest of it. It wasn't as hot as before, but the flavor had strengthened a little by now. He wondered if Arnyn had heard how he received the injury, but didn't feel like asking what she'd already learned about it. In fact, she had asked him quite a lot about him, but he still knew very little about her. "How long have you been a ranger, Lieutenant?" he questioned, curious about her. "I get the impression that you're well experienced, yet I don't think I had ever met you, before that adventure some time back, when the captain twisted her ankle." He mentioned. At least, if he had ever met her before then, he didn't recall it. Which wasn't that surprising, since most of those in the new rangers were strangers to him. Really, the only one who wasn't was Unalmis, but he was gradually getting to know his new comrades.

Erynneth

Eryn giggled slightly at Kaylin's very accurate guess about Nal 'roaming a world of his own' in his head. "Yes, that sounds about right," She grinned, then shrugged. "I don't really need to look for ways to spend time with him," She admitted though. "He comes here all the time, especially since Hattie came to live here." She fidgeted. "I may have volunteered to take care of his dog... only partly because I love dogs." She admitted with a slight grin. "But he comes over plenty, and we play with Hattie and it's a lot of fun."

Hearing Kaylin suggest she try subtle touches, reminded Eryn about something. "OH," She said with a bigger grin, "We danced together, at the Erulaitalë thing," She doubted Kaylin had noticed, being so wrapped up with her own dancing partner, but Eryn was super excited to reveal this little bit of news. "I only wish I'd known how," She added with some remorse as her blush deepened, a little embarrassed for having been a little clumsy at the dancing thing.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

Three more months? A long time. Arnyn gave Duinion a thoughtful look as she deliberated something. An idea was starting to form in her head. Perhaps she could make use of those months. She nodded her gratitude for his reply - and for not sugarcoating it. "With enough time, it will heal," she agreed.

Her first response to Duinion's question was a soft smile as she put down her tea again, pushed the platter more toward Duinion and took a piece of one of the cheeses. "How long have I been a Ranger?" she repeated the question, somewhat amused when she heard him say she seemed well experienced. "I signed up to the rangers based in the White City when I was nineteen years old, about a decade ago. I've held a few different rank names." She was downplaying that part, but it was irrelevant to his question. "There were more ranks at the time, perhaps because it was a larger force than it is now. However, the title of recruit has remained the same and I started out there just like everyone else."
Her soft smile grew more pronounced as she turned the piece of cheese over in her hands, and when she looked at Duinion there were memories dancing in her eyes. "This was when I discovered that the rangers could be like a family. There are those who have forever won a place in my heart, even if not all of them are still of this world."
Arnyn tried some of the cheese, and finished chewing and swallowing before resuming. "I've always been a Hyandaner - at heart if not by appelative. I did resign from my post after a good number of years, and spent a few years with the rangers in the north, returning to Minas Tirith on some occasions - the death of a dear friend, the height of the War - but it was the King's invitation to join this new form of the Rangers that brought me back more permanently." She gave a small wave of her hand. "One does not easily deny King Elessar."

Her brown eyes grew pensive as she gauged Duinion's curious expression. "What else would you like to know?" It was a genuine question on her part, and she did not feel examined or scrutinized in the least, which Duinion would be able to tell from her tone. Her face once again settled in her typical faint smile and attentive gaze.

Kaylin

She almost literally applauded Eryn's resourcefulness. "You offered to take care of his dog?" Genius! "And you do genuinely love dogs right?" It sounded like Eryn did, but Kaylin was just making sure. If Erynneth really loved dogs and she was taking care of Unalmis' dog for him, that wasn't a bad play at all. Not that she really thought it was a matter to play at, but... "So there is the dog, and that you also want to be a ranger, like him," the redhead mused. That were good things to have in common, she supposed. "How about smaller things? Do you like some of the same food? If so, you could suggest going to grab some of that food with him?" The suggestions suddenly seemed to be springing up in her mind like new leaves at the start of the year.

When Eryn mentioned having danced with Unalmis, Kaylin's jaw almost dropped. "You DANCED with him?" She had to remind herself that not every first dance would be like the one she had with Thûllir. She cleared her throat. "Alright, so.. I guess there's dancing and there's... dancing. So which was it?" Kaylin wrapped an arm around Eryn's shoulders to hug her friend to her side when she noticed the deepening shade of red on her cheeks. "Aww, come now. What is it? Did something happen that put him off, you think? Or..." Kaylin wiggled her eyebrows. "Perhaps the contrary?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
Daisy Dairy Farm - Cermië

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

Duinion looked thoughtfully into the fire, contemplating Arnyn's optimistic words. It was possible, he'd been warned that it may heal, or it may mostly heal.. that there was a slim chance he may have a permanent limp, and the thought of that troubled him greatly. It would certainly hinder his skills at moving stealthily, in the forest or anywhere. But that was just a maybe. Nothing definite..yet. "Yes, time will heal..." He agreed quietly, though with a shadow of concern hidden in his tone. Duinion made himself think of Addhor, of what he had lost, and managed with some difficulty to remember that he was not as bad off as his friend had once been.

Glancing toward Arnyn as she answered his question, Duinion listened curiously and nodded, thoughtful as he tried to get a sense of what sort of person the new lieutenant was, and what sort of leader she might be. "Yes," He agreed quietly with her words about the rangers being family. "They can certainly be that," He picked up a roll, split it open, and added a slice of chicken, and some cheese. "It's strange, getting to know a whole new group.. isn't it?" He glanced over at her. "I don't know about you, but I don't really know the others. Except for Unalmis and Romeran. But.. well, I knew Unalmis before the war.. we were together in the rangers under Captain Faramir. I helped train him when he was a recruit." He smiled, remembering. "His father is a close friend of mine... a brother, in fact. I only know Romeran because he was assigned to me for some of his training. He and I have gone on a few camping expeditions, for training. He was with me when.. this happened." He nodded toward his foot. "But as for all the others, not counting our captain, I don't know any of them beyond a name... if that much."

What else would he like to know? Thinking about that as he chewed a bite of his sandwich, it took him a minute to think of anything to ask, which wouldn't seem out of line to ask a person he barely knew. She was in a position of command, and yet he knew very little at all about her. He'd like to learn a few things, yet there were questions that would be out of line, or just in poor taste to ask, so he sifted through a few thoughts before arriving at one that ought to be safe enough. "What is your favorite thing about being a ranger?" He glanced toward her with a small smile.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
The Pelennor Fields, Cermië (summer)
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She smiled when he said it was strange getting to know a whole new group and tucked away the information of how he knew Unalmis and Romeran. "That is part of why I came here," she told him honestly. "I knew next to nothing about you, and did not think that could stand. Not with my current position." The past had taught her how beneficial it was to know those under your command. "And while I am getting to know you, I feel like it is just as much your right to get to know me. Hence - my question."

Tasting another piece of the cheese, Arnyn then made filled one of the rolls for herself, and poured them both some milk. She figured it would not go to waste even if Duinion was not in the mood. The walk over in this warm weather had left her rather thirsty.

The question he asked in return, surprised her somewhat. It was evident in the amused look on her face. "My favorite thing about being a ranger, is it?" she repeated quietly, with a faint smile. "That is an interesting question, and I apologize in advance for what will probably be a jumbled answer," she began thoughtfully. "What drew me to enlist was the wish to protect people." She looked at her glass. "More often than not, people expect you to enjoy what you are good at. I do not... enjoy... to fight." That is not what drew her. "It does make me feel good when I can protect someone, or a group of people. Stop those who would do others harm. But what warms me, is the relationships it allows me to build with people. Standing for something the way we do... creates a bond. Even when we do not know each other well. And after that personal connection does come..." Arnyn looked up from her glass. "It's unbreakable."
Ha. She guessed her response was not that jumbled, after all.

"What about you, Duinion? What drew you? And what keeps you invested?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Istari Sage
An Unexpected Delay
@Pele Alarion @Rillewen

It was difficult for Romeran not to feel pangs of envy as he listened to the captain describe Rohan. His entire life until fairly recently had been contained within such a small area. It was difficult not to wish that he had seen more growing up, Romeran felt that he had seen about as much in the small time he had spent as a ranger as he had seen in his entire life until then. He smiled weakly. "I should certainly like to go to Rohan some time soon then" he managed. The waving children, however, was enough to brighten his mood again.

The news that one of the Rangers was also a Swan Knight was terribly exciting to Romeran who couldn't contain himself and smiled as widely as his eyes opened "Is there really?" he asked, interrupting the Captain before she continued. "Wow..." he mouthed quietly, a ranger and a Swan Knight how eventful of a life she must have lived. "I think I have seen her, once or twice, in the Ranger Headquarters" he said, thinking back especially when there had been promotions, he was certain he had even introduced himself, once at least, but it had never gone much further. Romeran already found most of the elder rangers intimidating enough he was sure to look on the Ilisys with even more awe than he had before.

Romeran turned back to look at Trastion, who was riding a few paces behind them, to see what he made of the news, well news at least to Romeran. To his surprise, Trastion seemed rather, concerned, at least that's what Romeran made of it. He frowned and cocked his head slightly. "Have you met Ehtyar Ilisys, Trastion?" he asked in an attempt to see why Trastion seemed so concerned. From what Romeran knew of him so far he had no reason to think he would have had run-ins with the Swan Knights, but perhaps they had met in the Ranger headquarters like Romeran had.

At Pele's question Romeran paused for a moment. His immediate answer was to say that he wanted to travel, but how could he really say that when he had done so little of it?

"Well I haven't traveled much at all" he said, as a beginning explanation "so I would certainly at least like to try it. It's part of why I joined the Rangers as there would be some traveling abroad at least on patrols and the like. Although I hope perhaps for a mission abroad one day" he mused "but since I've done so little traveling it's hard to say if I like it" he added with a smile "it's been quite exciting so far, at least, to go to new places" he concluded.

It was surprising, by contrast, to hear that Trastion was more interested in settling in some place like Minas Tirith, they seemed near the same age but Romeran supposed he must have been projecting to assume that all youths had led such a confined childhood and yearned to see new places.

The three rangers continued down the Eastbound road towards the Rammas and as they drew closer to the gates the less crowded it became. The road itself was well preserved and while it was well traveled closer to the city it was also more closely maintained, not that the road was rough by any standard. The once closer houses began to sprawl into larger farmsteads, although nothing to compare to the big farms outside the walls. It became quieter, in comparison, although there were still people milling around and working as well as the occasional sound of farm animals and horses. The sun was beginning to rise closer to the zenith and it was heating up. Romeran rolled up the sleeves on his shirt under his tunic, wondering if he had worn too many layers.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran @Pele Alarion

Recruit Trastion Leithor

An Unexpected Delay

Glancing up, upon hearing his name, Trastion hesitated for a moment. Romeran had asked a somewhat awkward question... he couldn't say yes, because he had met her years ago... yet he couldn't say no without lying. Thinking swiftly, he tried to give the best answer he could, having been caught by surprise by both the news and Rome's question. He tried to look as if he was thinking carefully, and shook his head. "I can't say that I've met any rangers by that name," He said at last. "The only lady rangers I have met thus far are Hyandaner Arnyn, and our captain here." He declared. "I was unaware there were any swan knights in our ranks."

He tried to return the subject to the matter of traveling. "Rohan sounds interesting," He mentioned. "I hear they have the best horses. No offence to the present equine company," he added with a grin as he patted Lightning on the neck. "Anyway, don't get me wrong," He added to Rome. "I enjoy traveling, and seeing new places.. meeting new people. I look forward to getting a chance to venture to new lands, perhaps. But... it's also nice to know you have a home, with people who care about you..a place where you belong... and you can return from your travels and be..safe, and comfortable, and... all that stuff." He shrugged, a little unsure whether he ought to have spoken so freely on that matter. "I have a feeling, when we do go off to other lands for missions, it isn't exactly likely to be safe, after all." he added, glancing questioningly at the captain, as if for confirmation on the fact.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn
Daisy Dairy Farm - Cermië

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

"Thank you," he spoke quietly, when offered a glass of milk. He accepted, and took a sip before returning to his sandwich, listening curiously as Arnyn began to speak in answer to his question. He gave a small, thoughtful nod. Her reply sounded similar to his own thoughts, and he strongly agreed with the part about (figuratively) standing for something, as they both did. Despite the fact he couldn't literally stand at the moment.

He gave a short laugh when asked what had initially drawn him to the rangers. How to answer that, he wondered, after the eloquent answer she had just given? He couldn't really boast of any great and noble reason for having joined, so long ago. "To be completely honest," He smiled, a little amused by the question, as well as the answer he was obligated to divulge. "I wanted to join the rangers, because my best friend's older brother had joined. Dom and I both wanted to be rangers because Addhor was a ranger, and it sounded fantastically exciting. Only, Dom's mother wouldn't allow him to enlist, for fear she might someday lose them both." He shrugged, thinking how well he understood Odessa's concern, now that he was facing that same dilemma with Eryn. "As a young boy, it seemed the most exciting thing anyone could do with their life, and I hated every moment spent in the city... so, it was a wonderful way of getting out in the woods and learning to.. well, survive out there, and not be dependent on anyone else to provide for me..." He paused, and concluded, "not the most noble of reasons to join, I realize. I was quite young then.. and very anxious to leave the orphanage." He looked down at his food, thoughtful.

"But, of course, that isn't why I stuck with it." He continued. "Like you, I like to be able to protect those who would otherwise be defenseless... and being part of something bigger than myself. The bonds that I formed with various others, over the years.." He sighed, letting a moment of silence pass as he thought of all those whom he had formed bonds with, and who were no longer there. It was sometimes difficult, emotionally, to keep going, when so many friends could not. "What keeps me invested?" He repeated thoughtfully. It was a question worth thinking about. "Fighting our enemies, who would harm those who cannot fight for themselves. Those like Aggie, and Eryn..."

He glanced at Arnyn. "I like to think that our work has made it possible for average folks to be able to step out of their doors without fear. And, while I don't exactly enjoy having to employ the some of the skills I have learned... I admit, there is a certain thrill of adventure involved at times, when those skills do become necessary. As well as a sense of satisfaction, when we accomplish our goal and prevent an enemy from doing harm." He took a sip of milk, thinking. "To me, all of those things, together, are all highly rewarding in their own ways. But mostly, I think I like being... useful. To Gondor, and to the King. To be part of a group who share a common goal, and work together to achieve it. That's why I.. I find it very difficult, right now, feeling so.. useless, and incapable." He admitted, frowning at his foot with a sigh.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen , @Romeran
An Unexpected Delay

Pele rode on in silence for a few moments, and did not mention anything else about Isys, though she did keep in mind Trastion's somewhat strange reaction to this piece of information since Romeran had also noticed it and brought her attention to it as well. She felt no need to ask further questions in addition to Rome's, unless it would come up at some point again and turned out to be rather important.

"There's not much to try in travelling, Rome, you just make ready and set out when the opportunity presents itself," she then said and laughed lightly. "Though I do prefer to have a home to return to as well, and would rather visit other lands for other purposes rather than missions. Those are definitely not safe since the purpose is to handle one sort of threat and danger or other."

Her hand reached for the flask of water at her belt, and she took a few sips of the liquid which had already warmed up and was not as cool as it was when she poured it in from the jug at the mess hall. "It is definitely warm out today," she noted. "We might need to find some stream or other for our horses to drink from at some point. It would not do to keep them without water for the whole duration of our outing."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor
Exiting the city and entering the Pelennor, with Unalmis and Hattie
(continued from here)

Only once the group had run a reasonable distance from the city's gates, did Eryn finally begin to slow her pace. She hadn't thought to establish any sort of 'finish line' for the race, so it would be difficult to say who had actually won. But seeing as they had kept neck and neck, it seemed most likely that they would have tied. Not that she was really all that concerned about who won. "That...was fun." She declared, huffing for breath after that lengthy run. Two city levels, plus however far into the Pelennor they'd come! She wondered how that compared to the fields in which she usually ran. It was hard to be sure, since she had never really measured the length of the cow's grazing pastures, nor compared it to what she had just run. But she needed to take a minute to catch her breath before she could divulge any sort of story just yet.

As she walked along, it didn't take too long before her breathing began to steady back to a normal rate. The girl looked around, carefully making sure that the road was deserted. It was dusk, after the time that most folks would have already returned home after concluding their business in the city, so there were no other travelers on the road but she and Nal. And Hattie. "Alright...I think it's safe to talk now," She began, with a little thrill of excitement that she could finally share her secret with him. "But first.." She hesitated, turning to Nal with wide eyes. "You have to promise you won't ever tell my father, or anyone else...he'd kill me if he ever found out..." She warned her friend. Not that she truly believed her father would actually kill her, but.. well, Nal would surely understand the desperate necessity of keeping this secret... and the dire consequences that could come if he failed. Still, she'd feel better if he promised, before she told him anything.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Erynneth

Grinning, Eryn nodded in reply to Kaylin. "Oh yes, I love dogs, and Hattie is such a sweetheart," She grinned. "A little mischievous, of course.. but she's adorable." After a brief pause, she leaned closer and whispered, "She's the dog I told you about before.. with that lieutenant Brian...remember?" It had been just after Kaylin's injury, but Eryn could not forget how Kaylin had laughed so hard, Eryn had even worried she might burst her stitches, after being told her about the dog's playful antics that day. Leaning against the fence, she smiled as Buttercup nuzzled her, probably her way of asking for sweets. Eryn rubbed her forehead gently.

"Anyway," She restrained a giggle as best she could, at the memory of that incident. "Yes, we danced together, during one of the really fast songs." She confirmed with a grin, as Kaylin hugged her. "It was a lot of fun, he swung me all around and around, and we got sooo dizzy, but it was great fun." She hesitated. "I don't know," She added, to her latter question. Eryn had executed the plan to help him and his friend make up over their argument, and it had all gone practically flawlessly. And yet... Eryn kept revisiting her words and actions during that discussion, when she had pretended as if she didn't want to be friends, in the hope it make a point to the boys that they were being ridiculous. The way Nal had answered, she kept worrying that maybe she had somehow lessened his opinion of her.

"It's probably just me worrying too much," She smiled slightly and shrugged. "Anyway, we all had a great time, and everything seemed to work out very well. And I think his other friend, Cali, has a guy interested in her, which seemed to surprise Nal and the rest of his friends." She added, a little amused. Partly to serve as deflecting attention from herself. "He seemed so interested in her I'm surprised he took the time to even acknowledge anyone else." She added with a laugh.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
@Isolde Alarion
Pele with Nell, Mourgan, and the Guard
Searching for Some Freedom
Out the Gate and setting off across the Pelennor

"It seems to me that you have no need to resign," Pele said, half seriously, and watched Nell search for the cookies. When she had found the delicious morsels and extended the offer to the men in their party, Pele could not help but be amused at the expense of the utmost seriousness of her guard and Mourgan's teasing of him. She could almost imagine a lengthy list of permitted and prohibited actions and items issued by some scribe working away at the King's office for she could not imagine that Aragorn himself would be up to such detail. She could not help but wonder if the guard always was like this or only when on duty, and if he even understood humour.

With a shrug, she snatched up not one, but three cookies, glad that Temper was in no position to reach around and claim any of these as he would likely do if she stood beside him instead of being sat in the saddle on his back. Yet, she would later offer him a snack as well, but in a form of an apple, rather than baked goods.

At the talk of honey cakes, Pele glanced at Nell sideways and said: "At this rate, this short journey would be enough for me to become so big that even my horse would refuse to carry me, and I would require a new set of uniform and armour. Though I suppose my guard could manage to find a comfortable carriage large enough to fit a captain who has eaten too many cakes and cookies."

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

His short laugh surprised her, and Arnyn watched Duinion with a questioning gleam in her eyes. His reason to join made her grin. "Sounds like you had no choice other than to join, for multiple reasons," she said goodnaturedly. "And I find your reasons are no worse nor better than my own." Everyone followed their own path, and so long as your intentions were true and good, what else was there that mattered?

When Duinion continued, he seemed to crack a door into the inner workings of his mind, and Arnyn listened quietly, as she ate from Aggie's selection, to why he stuck with their profession and what kept him at it. The part about people being able to step out of their doors without fear, spoke to her, as well as the sense of satisfaction he mentioned. She nodded when he said he just liked being useful. "I understand completely. I like being useful as well. To those I love, to my country, to my commanders." A genuine smile lit up her features.
"Thank you for sharing this with me, Duinion, despite our short acquaintance. And trust me when I say that there is no need to feel useless or incapable now. Are you not still raising a daughter, who is part of the future of Gondor?" Her eyes turned pensive, and she put down her empty glass. "Besides, I have a few ideas. Catch a ride with Eryn's milk cart the day after tomorrow and report to me at HQ." She gauged his reaction. "Feasible?"

Kaylin

"You mean the dog responsible for the best Lieutenant Brian moment to date? I still can hardly believe that happened." Kaylin sighed whistfully. "I would have paid good money to see that. I'm not sure you lot appreciated it in full. Maybe Unalmis did." Kaylin grinned at the recollection of the story she'd been told, but the grin soon evolved into a laugh. "Melkor's pits, I'd pay good money to see that now."

With some difficulty she tucked the tale away in favor of Eryn's retelling of her dance with Unalmis. A fun, fast dance. Hmm. Eryn's attempt at diverting the conversation away from her and Unalmis was pretty obvious, but Kaylin decided there was no reason not to follow her friend. "Oh, it surprised them that someone showed interest in one of their friends?" Kaylin looked amused. "I mean... isn't that sort of thing to be expected? You're sixteen, Unalmis is - what - in his early twenties? I suppose his friends aren't 9 years old," she said, rolling her eyes. "Romance seems perfectly normal to me? Is it the first time, perhaps, that someone in their group is, um... garnering interest?" That almost seemed hard to believe.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

Unalmis Raxëlilta with Erynneth Raedor
Walking out toward Daisy Dairy Farm, in the Pelennor Fields.
After 'the incident' of the dog/before Midsummer @Rillewen

Well,Unalmis laughed as their race staggered into a slower pace. “You are faster than you look !” It was meant as a compliment, although he had been advised before that he was able to make a compliment sound rather less like it was intended. Hattie had actually kept on running for a time, even after the decline of the city flattened off; caught up in the moment and utterly enjoying her liberty. But once she noticed that the pair weren’t at her side, she hastened back to join them. And then ran off again at an even greater speed to show off.

The Ranger shook his head, but did not call the dog to heel. Because there was for the first time in a long time, no reason why she shouldn’t run about at her leisure. And also because she had a habit of ignoring him unless he had some toy or food, or something she considered might be a toy or some food, to hand as a lure.

He wasn’t entirely sure whether Eryn was recovering her breath still, or simply not convinced that it was safe yet to disclose her secret. So he allowed her the time she required for either, contenting himself in breathing in the countryside. Though the Great Gate was still in sight, a mammoth monument, the world was brimming with far more colour already. Not to mention the scents … Hattie was certainly sniffing out anything and everything that she could manage to track. Then words heralded the big news that his friend had been hinting at for some time.

First,” he answered to her wary conditions, “your father would never kill you. Because secondly he’d probably far rather kill me for not telling him immediately. But,” the young man shrugged. “We only live once and I might die of some anticipation at this rate if you don’t tell me at all.” After a moment, he added, or rather clarified, because this was the point where Cali or Iole would usually throw something at him. And he suspected that Eryn’s own arm was not lacking. He knew that Duinion had been teaching her how to use a bow at any rate. And where was his mind ? Ah yes. “I promise,” he swore, drawing the finger of one hand down the length of the scar on his other palm. They’d known each other long enough by now that she knew where he’d gotten that scar. Her father of course had started the whole thing …

By now, feeling left out, Hattie had begun trying to chew at the Ranger’s boot, even as they walked. And Nal reached down to discourage her, and to find a way to listen at the same time. As the animal was intent on making this as difficult as possible, and had just noted that the young woman still was holding the exciting dagger from before .. Unalmis despairingly pulled off one of his boots and waved it over his head, until he had probably the attention of anyone close enough to see such a spectacle. But when he hurled it away across the fields, the dog went lolloping after it.

Come on then,” he turned back to Eryn without even stopping to wonder if that had just been another bad idea. “I don’t know ‘what’ Kaylin talked you into buying your father for a birthday present, but don’t go disappointing me now that you’ve built it up this much ?” he laughed, joking.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

A slight shrug was all his reply, when she mentioned that there was no need to feel useless. "Eryn has been pestering me to show her how to do things," He mentioned. Since he was unable to walk, it was harder than ever to avoid her pleading. But now, being unable to walk, it would definitely make things that much harder to actually show her any of those things which she wanted to learn. A frustrating dilemma indeed. Sure, he could still do a few things, but without being able to move around, and walk, it was very difficult to do much of what he had used to do without thinking. Not that he had been idle, as the arrows all around proved.

But what could she have in mind, that he had not already considered? He gave the request some consideration. It wouldn't be all that pleasant, venturing into the city, much less when he couldn't easily take himself back out again. But she was the second in command, so it wasn't so easy to refuse what sounded like a request, but could very well be an order. "So long as my 'nurse' doesn't protest, for fear that my foot will get jarred and bumped..." He smiled, to show he was joking about that. "I'll tell her that it was an order, that I cannot refuse." For all he knew, it could be, actually. He glanced toward Arnyn, trying to read her expression. "It is certainly feasible." He added, to make it clear that he would be there at the appointed time.

"May I ask, what drew you to specializing with the sword?" He wondered. Given that she was a hyandaner, he didn't have to guess at the fact it was more than likely her primary weapon and the one she had specialized in learning. "It seems to be one of the most common weapons that folks choose, I've noticed. I've learned enough to use one if necessary, but personally, it's not my preferred choice of weapon." He added thoughtfully. "Before I was a ranger, as a boy I had some fun play battles with my friend as I'm sure every boy probably does, but... once I learned to shoot, I found that I had far more interest in the bow, and daggers felt more comfortable to me, than one longer blade." He shrugged, glancing at her with some curiosity. "Both Addhor and Domanol prefer a sword... a greatsword, at that. But they have their reasons. I just find it curious, why others choose the weapons that they do."

Erynneth

"I'm really not sure, but it sort of seemed to me, perhaps, they were mostly surprised because of her," Eryn explained, thoughtful as she tried to recall what was said at the time. "I wasn't paying as much attention to them as I was to..you know.. me and Nal." She explained a bit shyly. "But I think maybe Cali isn't used to having anyone ask her to dance." She shrugged. "Perhaps she was more surprised than any of them, I'm not sure."

Eryn then laughed at the 'best Lieutenant Brian moment' thing. "I suppose it was a little wasted on me," She agreed. "It's the only time I'd ever met him, so I guess I really didn't appreciate it as much as you would have," She shrugged. "Nal thought it was hilarious though... and I've heard some things about him, of course. I was mostly horrified and fearful that Nal was going to get kicked out of the rangers.. and that I might not be allowed to come back to visit you." She grinned. "Thankfully, he doesn't have control over that. I can't say that he won't remember my involvement, later on when I get to join... I hope he won't hold a grudge that long."

As if hearing herself being mentioned, Hattie appeared, from the direction of the house, racing down the path toward the pair of red haired ladies. The dog, having recently broken away from Aggie and discovered that Eryn was going around talking with someone without her, intended to amend that as quickly as possible. "Oh there she is!" Eryn declared, seeing Hattie's approach just in time to warn Kaylin of her presence before the dog decided to greet her in the same manner she had greeted Brian.. Thankfully, Hattie had other ideas, and after running around them both a couple of times, busied herself with eagerly sniffing at Kaylin's boots to learn what this stranger smelled like, and to find out if her boots might be tasty.

"What are you doing, silly?" Eryn laughed. "Sit down and say hello to Kaylin, Hattie." She tried to coax the dog to at least try to act as if she had some sort of manners. She reached to try and catch her but Hattie swiftly eluded her grasp, tail wagging as she felt that she had won a round at some sort of game. "Hattie, sit," Eryn tried again, before shrugging. "Well, she sort of does what she wants to do," She explained to Kaylin. "But she's quite friendly. Just..um, beware that she doesn't decide to chew your boots. She did that to Nal.. while he was wearing them." She grinned in amusement.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor
Exiting the city and entering the Pelennor, with Unalmis and Hattie
After 'the incident' of the dog/before Midsummer

A grin spread across Eryn's face, hearing Nal proclaim her to be faster than she appeared. "Thanks," She was pleased to hear it. "I like running, and I do it all the time. Sort of as training, I guess, but also for fun." She shrugged, pulling her hair around to one shoulder. Taking deep breaths, she enjoyed the familiar smells of grass, and flowers and all the wonderful scents of the open fields around them.

Nal's proclamation brought a laugh from Eryn. "Oh, I know he wouldn't actually kill me, but he'd be furious, and worried...and he might ground me for the rest of my life, or something horrible like that.. or worse, he might declare that he's revoking his permission for me to enlist with the rangers..ever! I mean, I could anyway, I know. But, I would much rather do so with his blessing," She added thoughtfully. It was true, of course, she could go at any time now and enlist. But the thought of how it would upset her father to have her blatantly go against his wishes.. that was really the big factor in that regard. They had always been quite close, and she wouldn't want to do anything to ruin that. It was, of course, entirely possible that she would be grounded for the rest of her life if he discovered what happened to his dagger, but hopefully she could fix that.

With another, slightly nervous laugh, she shook her head in answer to what Nal supposed to be the big secret. "No, this has nothing to do with his birthday." She assured him. That had occurred sometime since her meeting with Kaylin, and the adventure they had just concluded. "This.. well this has only just happened... I haven't even been back home yet..." She paused, looking at Nal, as she watched him trace the scar on his hand. She nodded, understanding the importance of that gesture. "Well," She bit her lip lightly, before proceeding. "Hearing me talk about how I wanted to be a ranger, Kaylin thought it would be nice if we went on a little..adventure, I guess as a sort of.. pre-ranger type of training?" She began, eagerly. "So...we went to Ithilien." She grinned, curious to see his reaction to that. "We went to Osgiliath first, and stayed the night, then we went into Ithilien, and wow, it's soooo beautiful! And it was so exciting, to be there, and see the forest, and all those really old trees... how vast it all is... I can completely understand why my father loves it there so much." She smiled, trying to remember how the forest had looked, at least the parts she had seen, so that she wouldn't forget. In case she didn't get to go back for a long, long time.

Remembering she was due back home, Eryn began walking again as she proceeded to tell him about the rest of the adventure. "Anyway... We went only a little ways into the forest, and we were having such a lovely time..." She paused, glancing over at her friend. "At least..we were, until the orcs came along and ruined it." She added with a frown, staring ahead as she focused back on the road ahead of her. "Five of them, I think she said... we were trying to sneak away so they wouldn't notice us, but then my hair got caught on the tree and they heard us, and..." she paused to take a breath. "It all happened so quickly, and then Kaylin got hurt, and then..." She shook her head, realizing she sort of jumped ahead of herself. "That's why Daddy can't ever hear about this," She explained, glancing back toward Nal. "If he ever heard about that..." She trailed off, letting him arrive at his own conclusions.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

He wasn’t surprised to hear that Eryn had let Kaylin know she wanted to enlist, and it was extremely tempting to hold back a satisfied ‘Ahah !’ with regard to his earlier suspicions. But his friend was allowed to persist with her tale and without interruptions, while he realised that walking in one boot was rather uncomfortable. Raising his remaining booted leg, Unalmis retrieved that surviving piece of footwear, forced to hop while hastening along, to keep up with the girl and her story. He was swinging the second boot idly alongside him in one hand, when Eryn dropped her revelation. And he almost dropped that second boot.

She took you into Ithilien ?!” he marvelled. “After knowing you for what, a day ?

The exclamation may have sounded like Unalmis was as horrified as Duinion would certainly be if he found out. But in honesty, the young man was more outraged that it had taken Eryn so little time at all to manage it ! Why, he’d bothered Pele for weeks and months, in that awful last year of having to wait for a birthday. And he’d known the Master Healer for some time more than a day, even then, because of escorting his father to check-ups at the Houses of Healing. He'd tried so many times with his friends to sneak out through the causeway gates, to the east but they had always been far too well watched. They'd had to console themselves with climbing over the southern wall to Harlond. Or sneaking through the gap-toothed Rammas to the north ... It wasn’t until he’d left home and told his father that he had already enlisted, that he was invited to go out into Ithilien, with both his parent and the forresters. And even then, he’d had an inkling that his father was trying to urge him into a job with Narradir instead of the Rangers. But 'even' then ! They’d still had to stay close to the river. Mind you, that had been before the Enemy and his minions were thrown down ... It was probably much safer now.

Hearing Eryn wax lyrical about Ithilien, he could not help but lose himself into a smile anyway. “See, now you are speaking my language,” he laughed, throwing off surprise in favour of a mutual understanding. “And talk about running ?" he stepped in closer as though belatedly recognising that this was all meant to be quite private ! His words then after were more hushed. As though it truly were a secret that nobody else in all the world knew about. Rather than an ancient fiefdom which most of all Rangers at least had spent much of their lives within. "I mean, you think it is fun to test your speed in the fields ? Still it can get quite dull just running back and forth like you’re a bird in a cage. But when you get out there ?” A long whistle served where words could not, and proved how much of an impact one of his father’s friends had made upon him. “You can really run the gauntlet. Through rivers, exploring nooks and hideholes to take breath in before launching forth again ! It is not at all like anything so safe and set up in the training grounds. I mean, out there, it feels really like something could be chasing you. You can feel a part of something .. bigger, wider .. wilder, that you just can’t replicate behind high walls. When they let you go off by yourself, out there, it feels like you are the only person in the whole world. You could spend an entire day without speaking to another person.” A thought struck him as though he'd never realised before. That is why Duinion loves it so much ..

They’d stopped walking in the sudden understanding of how much this subject had taken hold of them, turning aface and sharing as one another tried to each describe a dream, and found that the other one had dreamt that self same thing ! But suddenly Eryn started walking again, and he followed after where she led, because honestly they were going to her home and it felt wrong to take any sort of lead or assumption. Plus he only half felt sure he knew the right direction .. He was quiet as she started up again with her account of adventure, and then Unalmis grew quieter, perhaps jealous for all that he was proud of, happy for, Eryn for getting out there, .. that he would now not be the one to see the look on her face when she saw it for the first time .. And as though she wondered at his sudden less than enthused attention, the girl glanced at him there, pausing to find why he'd slowed, and calmly dropped the news to reclaim his attention, that they had encountered Orcs ! Orcs in Ithilien ! And this was not but days ago !! What by the Tree had Orcs been doing back in Ithilien again ? And so close to Osgiliath by the sound of things ?!

The young Ranger literally stopped where he stood, his stunned stupor somewhat but not utterly veiled by the return of Hattie who dropped a rather chewed-now boot at his feet. And when he did not react, she took it proudly and rather haughtily off to offer up to Eryn instead. Eryn who had seemingly come to the end of all she was willing to share, at this point, and glanced back at where he’d halted some feet behind. The dagger, he understood at last. That’s how her father’s dagger must have gotten damaged.

She’s not hurt though,” he muttered, before shaking himself out of a half daze and clarified. “Kaylin ? I mean ..” The dog chose that moment to let out a long howl, as would rival the wargs of Wilderland. And then lay down to further devour her new favourite chewtoy. Unalmis caught up with Eryn as though he had not noticed, and caught his friend's free hand up in his own, careless of whether there was any rush for her to get to chores or no. Aggie hadn’t seen the girl for days, by the sound of it. So minutes now would matter not at all. The minutes could go to Mount Doom right now !

Tell me something though," he pressed her suddenly. "Are you more worried about his finding out what harm ‘you’ might have come to, really, or what you did to that ?" He was joking, jerking his head a little woodenly toward the dagger that she held. The etching on it had told him at least it’s creator, and knowing how important it would be to Duinion .. let alone the stupid things that men will do for the sake of family heirlooms … Because there had to be some part of Duinion that would be proud of Eryn, if she told him about her thrillseeking only once she was clearly back home and safe. Rather than before proposing to venture out again ...

Still he only looked half serious. So with a deep sigh, Unalmis gathered himself and found his most sober expression to look upon her close, as he refused to loose his hand from hers. “You must make me a promise now, Eryn,” he said, in an impersonation that fell somewhere in between his more sensible father, and his very dull cousin from Belfalas. Even if he was still inexplicably holding one boot in his hand and stood barefoot. A furrowed brow served prelude to a very intense stare about brown eyes as he put it to her. “That the next time you are mad enough to sneak into Ithilien, .. you have me come with you ?

He couldn’t hold it long, the foolish smile broke through, like dawn through the most stubborn curtains. And Hattie sensing some sort of excitement was brewing, found her feet and pottered over, boot still in her mouth. The dog glanced up at each of the two-leggers in turn, and then dropped the boot she’d already ‘conquered’, and began to eye the other. Letting Eryn's hand fall free, Unalmis found himself in a short tug of war, until he threw the damaged boot anew, and the dog ran off after it as though it's animation made the ruined original far the more appealing prize than it's mate.
Last edited by Ercassie on Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She nodded in thanks when he voiced his agreement. At his question, she put one hand slightly behind her in the grass and leaned back on it somewhat. "You may ask," she said pensively. It was like he said, everyone had their reasons. And the reasons of some were more personal that those of others. She laughed briefly at his comment about it being one of the most commonly chosen weapons. "I definitely did not choose the sword from a desire to be original, no," she grinned. "It has been a long time since anyone asked me that way." Trying to think of how she could explain it, Arnyn looked up at the branches and leaves of the tree.

"It was my father's weapon." She shrugged lightly. "That is how it began, I suppose. He loved the sword, and carried one nearly everywhere. My mother's weapon of choice is a spear, and while a useful weapon indeed, she could not take it with her as easily. I never saw her as much with her spear as I saw my father with his sword. And once I started messing around with weapons, well... The sword always felt more like... an extension of my arm. Whereas the spear seemed like an additional limb to control." Narrowing her dark eyes slightly as she thought it over, Arnyn focused back on Duinion. "Much in the way I am sure you can feel that the bow is right for you, I feel that the sword is right for me. I have always felt it. I don't believe there is much logic involved." She smiled. "Which, admittedly, is rare for me."

"Greatswords are good fun," she allowed, "but the sword I enjoy the most is a longsword that can be used both two-handed and one-handed. I like the versatility and flexibility it offers, and it seems to suit my personal style the most. I think there is a beauty to swordfighting. Or duelling, rather. The art of it, not the violence of it." Arnyn smiled as she looked at the arrows around Duinion. "I should maybe clarify that my secondary weapon is the bow. So I definitely understand the appeal of your preferred weapon. The peace of the draw. The thrill of the release. The satisfaction of the hit."

She slanted her head. "You say the bow interests you more. Is it also more of a feeling? Or do you have specific reasons? I know some like being more ranged fighters, for example. What comes into play for me as well - to pick the bow as my secondary weapon - is that I feel it is important to have balance. Balance between the close fight and the ranged fight. Options. I don't want to enter a situation where I am powerless because I do not have a suitable weapon for a certain type of fight. That is probably also why I am so drawn by a sword I can use both one-handed and two-handed."

Kaylin

She grinned when Eryn said Unalmis thought it was hilarious. "Oh, I bet," Kaylin said eagerly. She was in fact quite jealous that he'd had to honor to witness such an embarrassing Lieutenant Brian moment. She huffed when Eryn said she'd been afraid Unalmis might get kicked out. "He wishes he had the authority to kick people out." She blinked. "Thankfully, he doesn't." A pretty smile mastered her face when Eryn mentioned visiting her. "Nor does he have any authority over that! I invite whomever I want into our house, ranger housing or not. As long as we don't make it unbearable for our neighbours and he doesn't get any complaints, they sort of have to leave you alone. It's a pretty good deal, really. Close to the barracks, yet away from his incessant complaining and near constant supervision." She grinned again. "Of course, you need to get married to qualify. Small detail." She cleared her throat and didn't touch the comment about Lieutenant Brian hopefully not holding a grudge for that long.

When a dog came running at them, Kaylin's eyes lit with interest. As Hattie was energetically bouncing around the two of them, Kaylin laughed. "Are you the hero who took down the barracks master, then?" she asked in a pleasant tone of voice. "Who's a good girl? Who's a very good girl?"

She blinked when Eryn mentioned Hattie had chewed on Unalmis' boots when they were still on his feet. "Well, well, Hattie... how mischievous... Mind you, I quite like the boots I have on..."

Looking back up at Eryn, Kaylin asked: "I am assuming her take-down of the Lieutenant has been her crowning achievement so far, though?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

Listening with interest as Arnyn explained her reasons for her weapon of choice, Duinion nodded thoughtfully now and then. He smiled with some amusement, hearing that it had been a long time since anyone asked her that question in that way. How did folks usually ask, he wondered, or did they not usually? It wasn't so much that he was intrigued with why a person chose their weapon, but at the moment had been really the only question he could think of to ask, in order to try and get to know her a little more. Since he was limited to sitting and talking, rather than working together out in the woods or something, it was a little more tricky to get familiar with the lieutenant.

Hearing that the sword was her father's weapon, Duinion nodded slightly, maintaining the same expression as before, although he couldn't help feeling a little twinge of jealousy tug at his heart to hear Arnyn speaking of her father, then her mother. That was also a common theme, he had noticed. Many people wanted to be like their parents, in one way or another. That was something he'd been robbed of. He'd never had any parents to aspire to be like, good or bad. Perhaps, he reflected thoughtfully, that was why he had so looked up to Addhor, who had seemed so very grown up to Duinion back then. Six years had seemed like a huge age difference, in those days. Now of course, it was hardly worth remembering such a gap existed.

Still, after all this time, Duinion found it slightly surprising, and disappointing even, to realize he still harbored even that small amount of jealousy for those who did have what he'd never known. Surprised, because he had thought he was over all of that, and disappointed to realize that those childish wishes may never fully leave him. Not that he begrudged others for having their parents, of course. Just.. he couldn't help wondering, wishing... He focused his attention on spreading some honey butter on a second roll as he listened to her talk.

He cleared his throat softly after a moment, when she asked him a question in return, and paused for a moment. "Yes..." He answered thoughtfully, nodding. "A feeling. It feels right, somehow. I suppose that's a good way of putting it," He glanced over at a nearby bow. "I like the range it gives me... so I can keep my distance from enemies," He paused, thinking about that, with a realization that had never actually struck him until now. He preferred to keep his distance... from enemies, and from people in general, other than those very dear to him. Hmm, interesting. He did not have the daggers on his person at the moment, but they rested nearby. Motioning to them, mentioned, "Balance is a good thing to have. As I mentioned, I like to have a distanced weapon, first. But these are for when it gets to close quarters. I can use just one, or both at once, and at need I can use them in a non-lethal manner." He liked to have that option, in certain circumstances. "What you speak of, about the sword," He added, glancing toward her. "About it being an extension of your arm? I feel that way with my daggers." He smiled. "As if the blades were actually part of my hands in a way..." He laughed lightly. "It may sound silly to some, but I think you understand what I mean, don't you?"

Erynneth

Eryn laughed, watching Kaylin and Hattie. "She is a good girl," She agreed, kneeling to pet the dog. "She's the best doggy," She managed to catch Hattie and hugged her, despite any squirming. "When she's not being a mischievous little bandit," She added with a giggle, as Hattie squirmed out of her grasp and bounded off a little ways, as if thinking she had won some sort of game. "She has been known to snatch things, and hide them. So mind your belongings," She warned Kaylin, a little amused as well as slightly worried. "I've been trying to teach her to help me round up the cattle in the evenings, but then she thinks it's a game and that we can play it all the time," She shrugged. "So I'm not really sure what to do. But she's still really young, so maybe she'll figure out when it's time to play, and when it's time to be serious." She sort of doubted it, though, honestly.

"You do have a nice house," She added, returning to the subject of the barracks. "I bet it's extra nice, not having to deal with him." She grinned. "Anyway, so long as you enjoy living there, I guess that's what really matters." She thought for a moment. "I'm not sure that I'd ever want to live right there in the city... it doesn't seem like something that's for me." She paused, thinking about that, and grew slightly concerned about that. "Is it required, when you join?" She asked with a small frown, suddenly worried about that. "I guess I'd get used to it if I had to, but it's much nicer, out here with the open fields, and fresh air and everything." She glanced around at all the nice outdoors surrounding them, inhaling deeply.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She appreciated that he agreed with her comment about balance, and later smiled at his words about the daggers. She understood why he would laugh, but it did not sound strange to her. "Yes, I think I understand perfectly, Duinion. It does not sound silly to me at all."

Arnyn gave him a thoughtful look. "We should go shoot some arrows, sometime. And maybe I can set something up with Karis and Thûllir. Two other Rangers who share your preference for the bow. When your foot is more healed. It could be a way for you to get to know some of the others. And who knows, maybe a little competition between you will spark some extra training." She flashed a grin, her comment a hint at that there was some playfulness yet to her personality. "I could set up something similar for you and Kaylin. She had knives as her secondary weapon; you two could have at it and see who has the better pair of 'hands'." She paused, picking at a blade of grass. "Something to think about."

"Tell me, Duinion," she said suddenly. "What do you expect from your Lieutenant?" Her brown eyes gauged his expression as she spoke more quietly. "I mean to say, what is important to you in leadership? What do you want me to pay attention to in our interactions?"

Kaylin

"Sounds like she's a handful," Kaylin mused, looking at Hattie with a smile. "But of the best kind." She shrugged when Eryn said to mnd her belongings. It wasn't like she was going to drop any of her stuff onto the fields. Dimly, the redhead wondered if the dog might try and pick stuff from her pockets. That would be an impressive feat!

"You need to train her," Kaylin said, blinking. "Though I have no experience with such things myself, I've heard there are ways to train dogs and hounds. Maybe ask around the city? You might hire a trainer to teach you and Hattie the basics. Could make all the difference?"

A joyful smile lit up her face when Eryn said she had a nice house. "Thank you! And YES - it is. Brian can bother the suckers at the barracks, but he can hardly bother me where I am now." Kaylin cleared her throat. "Lieutenant Brian. Not that you are gonna fault me for omitting his rank," she laughed. "Habit."
She frowned at Eryn's question. "Well... I mean... You're supposed to check for orders and schedules at HQ almost daily, when you're not on leave or on assignment. I'm not sure how your father does it, actually. You could ask him, I guess? I always understood that it was a practical requirement. How else can you gather forces quickly to move out when necessary?" Kaylin raised her hands questioningly.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor
Walking out toward Daisy Dairy Farm, with Unalmis and Hattie

The exclamation her news had brought forth made Eryn hesitate, unsure whether Nal was merely surprised, or if it was something more along the lines of how she feared her father would react to the same news. She fidgeted, feeling slightly defensive of Kaylin's decision, "Well, she didn't think it'd be so dangerous anymore, and besides, I had told her about how I went there once before, and how frightened I was then... only that was ages ago, and I guess it's changed a lot since then." She explained, or tried to. "So, I guess Kaylin figured I ought to see how lovely and wonderful Ithilien really is. In the daylight and all, you know?" She shrugged, and added, "And she made me wear armor too, just in case." That ought to surely soothe any doubts that her news had brought upon her friend.

A smile then stole across her face, spreading into a happy grin as she listened to Nal speak his own heart and feelings about the vast forestland. She had only caught a glimpse into the wonders it held, seen a few of the marvelously old trees, and walked in a tiny portion of the wooded realm. Although the orc incident had frightened her, she was yet all the more eager to revisit the woods and see more of the mysterious place that had captured some part of her father's heart, years before he ever met her mother. Other's descriptions would no longer suffice, not when she had glimpsed it now with her own eyes. Eyes which now shone with excitement as she heard her friend speak about it so. As Nal spoke, Eryn felt a desire stirring inside, to return and see it once again, and to explore it more fully. Caught up in listening to him speak with such heartfelt enthusiasm about the forest that he, and her father, both loved so much, Eryn temporarily forgot about walking home. She didn't interrupt as he was speaking, content to listen happily as he let his thoughts about Ithilien spill out joyously. It wasn't often that she heard Nal speak with such emotion about..anything.

As his talk brought up the feeling of 'running as if something were chasing you', she let out a light laugh. "Tell me about it.." She muttered, with slight amusement which faded at the memory, and took that opportunity to make mention of how the wonderful day had turned sour by the arrival of the orcs. She had remembered she ought to be heading home, but the light was fading rapidly by now, and she was sure that the milking would be over and done with by the time she arrived, anyway. No point in rushing, now. After all the rush and race to get out of the city and on her way home, Eryn now let her steps dwindle to nothing as she stopped to wait for her friend to shed his other shoe, and to give him time to get over looking so stunned by her news.

He questioned whether Kaylin was hurt, and she could only assume he meant 'really hurt', since Eryn had already mentioned that she got hurt. "Kaylin..." Eryn hesitated, a concerned expression flashing across her face before she looked down. "She'll be alright, or..so they said. I hope so. Captain Alarion said she'd be alright, anyway. I.. I don't think she'd lie, would she?" She glanced up at Nal, hoping he would have some better insight to the healer's ways, since Eryn barely knew her. "We were running from the orcs," She explained, "And I guess they threw a knife at her. It was.. stuck in her back." She took a shaky breath, her thoughts drifting back to that terrible trip back to Osgiliath, how worried she'd been, fearing that Kaylin might actually be about to die. "We got back to Osgiliath, and then we took her in a wagon to the houses of healing. I stayed with her at her house for hours after, until I remembered I had to get home. And then I ran into Hattie and she insisted I come and see what was going on behind the barracks..." She took a deep breath and, as she exhaled it, tried to push all the worried thoughts and lingering fear out with it.

Hattie's howl broke the silence, making Eryn jump slightly. She managed a faint smile and looked down at her, but she was now preoccupied with chewing on Nal's boot. His hand catching hers, then caught Eryn's attention and brought it back to him. She looked up at him and paused, carefully considering the question that was then put to her. "Both?" She managed a faint smile, and a tiny laugh. "My uncle gave it to him, you know, for a wedding present..." She mentioned, glancing down at the dagger in her hand. "He and my father were once very close, and he's gone now, and..." She cringed slightly, hearing her own words declare just how stupid it had been of her to decide to carry it. Some explanation seemed needed, therefore. "Kaylin had brought this armor, and there was an empty sheath, to put a dagger in, you see..." She sighed. "And I didn't have one. But I remembered Daddy had this one, and.." Eryn explained, her voice small, well aware that she had been wrong to do as she did, "It was really stupid of me, I know. I never should've brought it along.. I just never thought..." And that was really the main problem.. she hadn't thought. "I don't think I'll be able to buy another stone like the one that's missing," She sighed. "He'd know the difference, I'm sure. He notices the least little things... and this dagger is really important to him."

Nal's heavy sigh, not only echoed her own feelings, but also suddenly reminded her of a grown up who was very disappointed in their child, and served to remind her that he was actually some years older than her. That fact was often easy to forget, when they so often seemed of a similar age, at least to Eryn. She glanced up at him now, unsure what to expect when he suddenly looked rather more serious than she had ever seen him looking. A brief concern crossed her mind, wondering if she had made a mistake in entrusting this secret to him. Was he about to suddenly transform from her fun, adventure-loving friend, into a lecturing, boring adult? She waited with trepidation for whatever promise he wanted to extract from her, fearing he might insist that she must tell her father everything, the moment he returned home. That would be very un-Nal-like, but then so was that almost stern look on his face...

And then he spoke his demand, followed by the silly grin he usually wore, like the sun breaking through storm clouds. Eryn let out a laugh of relief, as well as a breath she had held without realizing. "Absolutely," She grinned back, with a light squeeze to the hand that held hers. That was certainly a promise that she would be happy to keep. In fact, that began to spark an idea. She didn't speak of it just yet, partly because she wanted to give it more consideration, but also because she had yet more to tell him! He then let go of her hand, and turned to cast his ruined boot far into the nearby field, to keep Hattie entertained. As she resumed strolling down the lane, in no hurry to get home anymore, Eryn let the silence stretch on as she began trying to gather her thoughts together, so she wouldn't leave out any of the thrilling and frightful details of her adventure that she wanted to share with him. One in particular...

"I killed one of the orcs." She mentioned, after a moment's silence, and her hazel eyes lifted up to find his brown ones, curious to see what he would think of that. Though killing anything was not something she felt any excitement about doing, Eryn couldn't help feeling a sense of pride in her achievement, after all the horror tales she had heard about those terrible servants of the Enemy. To listen to some of the tales she'd heard, it would be easy to imagine the foes as being nigh impossible to defeat! And yet, she had managed it, with only her practice arrows, and while she knew that she and Kaylin had probably just been very, very lucky, it still gave her a little thrill to be able to report that her first real encounter with orcs had ended rather well, compared to how it might have been.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

He smiled at the suggestion that they could shoot together sometime. "I have no objection to that," He replied. He motioned across the field from where they were sitting, to several yards away where she might notice a target set up against a tree near the edge of the field. "Erynneth and I practice together often. With my foot injured.. there aren't a lot of things I can do, but that, at least, is one of them." He explained. Eryn had been quite surprised, one morning shortly after his injury, to come out and check on him, to find that he had apparently been quite busy during the night. Not that he'd done it himself, of course, but there were certain things which he couldn't tell Eryn, yet. Nor anyone, for that matter. Not yet, anyway. "If you'd like, we could take a few shots, right now." He offered, leaving that up to her.

He tilted his head with some interest to learn that Kaylin's second weapon was knives, similar to him. His were basically long knives, so fairly similar. "That sounds interesting. I barely know her, and yet my daughter seems to have struck up a friendship with her. Somehow." He needn't stretch his imagination very far to come up with some sort of conclusion for how Eryn would have met a ranger. She seemed eager to meet all of those that she could, he thought with some amusement. "If Kaylin would like, I would enjoy a sparring partner," he grinned. "I haven't had anyone, really, to test my skills against, in several years." That would have to wait, since it would be far more difficult to fight without being able to stand.

Her next question caught him off guard a bit, and he paused to glance at her, tilting his head curiously. What did he want from the leadership? He considered the lieutenant thoughtfully for a long moment. "Well, that isn't something I think I have ever been asked before," He answered thoughtfully, finally. "I'm not really sure how to answer it." He frowned, thinking about that. "What would you say, if someone asked you the same question?"

Erynneth

"Do you think there would be anyone in the city, that can train dogs? Maybe me and Nal could ask around," She grinned slightly at the prospect of something she could do with Nal. She wasn't really sure when they'd all have time for all of that though, what with her chores at the farm, going for healer training, and any other things she had to do, plus Nal having his ranger duties and all the other things he had to do. But perhaps they'd work something out.

She laughed lightly at Kaylin's unintentional slip up about the lieutenant, but didn't really care, personally, what she called the man. She climbed up to sit on the fence, patting Buttercup as the horse put her head beside Eryn's shoulder. She thought for a moment about Kaylin's comment concerning Duinion. "Well, right now, he can't really get around very well. Hardly at all, actually. He got his foot pretty badly hurt, in case you hadn't heard," She mentioned, not really sure if she had mentioned anything about that to Kaylin. "So, since Nal comes by here, usually every day, to play with Hattie, he also lets my dad know if there's anything important going on, like if he's supposed to go to a meeting or something like that." She shrugged.

"Before that," She thought for a bit. "He was going regularly to check in and everything. Not every day, but pretty frequently. Between going out to training and things, anyway." Eryn didn't mention to Kaylin how her dad felt about being in the city, because that was not really for her to tell. "Once they sent a messenger out, to let him know about that one meeting, the one where he got the Tirdinen rank? because he'd been gone on patrol for a few days and he only just got back in time to get cleaned up and everything." She remembered him mentioning how he'd worried that he was in trouble, and wondered if that had anything to do with it.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

"You can shoot your longbow?" she asked, somewhat surprised as her gaze followed his gesture to the target on the tree at the edge of the field. Somehow she had assumed that if Duinion had difficulty walking, he would also have difficulty distributing his weight for an archery stance. Then again, every injury was different. A smile found its way to her face. She was glad for the Tirdinen that he could do at least one of the things he enjoyed the most. At his suggestion that they could shoot a few arrows now, Arnyn automatically scanned the area for Duinion's bow. She had not brought her own today - she had even left her sword in her quarters, seeing no need for weapons considering her plans. "I came unprepared to shoot," she said, gesturing at the obvious lack of weaponry about her person. "And although I will admit it would be interesting to see what your bow shoots like, I know plenty of archers do not like another shooting with their bow." She gave him a questioning look. Was he one of these archers? His suggestion would suggest he was not, but perhaps he meant she should use Eryn's bow - or another still.

"I will make a mental note about the sparring," she promised. Especially since in no situation should it have been several years since he had sparred against another with his secondary weapons. "Let me know when you are cleared for such acivities by the healers, and I will make the arrangements. Years is too long a time."

She noticed his pause after she asked what he expected from leadership, and calmly returned his thoughtful gaze as he seemed to take her measure. When he said no one had ever asked him such a question before, she smiled faintly. "I know that it is an unusual question," she admitted, speaking quietly. "And I find it sad that this is so. If you cannot think of anything, does that mean you have always been perfectly content with your command?" She found that difficult to imagine. Yet she would answer his question all the same.

"I suppose..." Her eyes dropped to the grass between them for a moment before they found his again. She maintained eye contact as she spoke. "As far as interaction goes... I would say I would want those who lead me to do so by example. Words are great but need to be supported by actions. I would want them to be honest with me and speak when they feel something needs to be said, or when my performance or behaviour is not what it should be - instead of keeping it to themselves and holding it against me later. I would want them to look for the balance between logic and compassion. I would want them to be fair to me. I would want to be able to confide in them, and trust them to keep any secrets I share with them. I would want them to be able to admit to me when they are wrong or when they do not have the answers. And I would ask them not to ask too much about the people I've lost, since I do not wish to relive too many of the emotions that would go along with that. Something along those lines, I think."

Kaylin

"Oh yes," she grinned, "you and Nal should definitely look around for a trainer. Might take a while to find the right one and all." Kaylin had definitely caught on to Eryn's eagerness for any kind of excuse to spend time with Unalmis.

Kaylin blinked when Eryn said Duinion's foot was hurt pretty badly. "It is?" she asked, wondering. She hadn't really noticed anything during Arnyn's promotion. "He can hardly get around?" She realized she sounded incredulous, but couldn't help herself.
"Well... even so... I would say living in Minas Tirith makes life as a King's Ranger much easier. And it also makes the Captain's life easier. Could you imagine having to send a messenger so far away every time you want to speak to someone the same day or the next day? And then there are those instances where time is of the essence..." She shrugged, not wanting to seem like she was citicizing Eryn's father. "Perhaps that is a question for the Captain, for when you do end up enlisting."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

"You can shoot your longbow?" Arnyn's surprise was audible in her tone as she posed the question to him.

Duinion's faint smile faded, as he looked down, a little mournful. "Alas... my longbow was destroyed." He answered, sighing. "I'm not sure which was more upsetting to me, actually... that, or my foot being injured." He shrugged with a faint smile to show he wasn't entirely serious about that. Obviously, he could get a new longbow, whereas his foot was not replaceable. But the loss of his bow.. that had been quite a blow to him, almost as bad as the temporary loss of his mobility.

"I intend to make another, as soon as I'm able." He added. "But, in the meanwhile," He reached into the nearby shelter again, and pulled out a recurve bow, battered-looking but still in good condition to shoot. "A very good friend has loaned me the use of his. It's a lower draw weight than I'm accustomed with my longbow, but it's a good bow, just the same. He says it's been through quite a lot," He said with a smile. "There is also Erynneth's bow, but it's a lower draw weight still; hers might be much lower than you're accustomed to, but I doubt she would object if you chose to use it." He explained. He wasn't sure what Arnyn typically used, but if it was her secondary weapon he wouldn't be surprised if 45 was a suitable weight for her. "I'm also going to make her another, when I'm able to walk enough to find the proper wood for it."

He indicated a thick log on its side not far away, thick and high enough to be used for a seat, though it was not situated near the fire. "I may not be able to stand, but I can still shoot. In the..twenty something years I've been a ranger, I've spent a lot of time practicing to be able to shoot from various positions besides standing.. sitting, kneeling, lying down.. perched up in a tree, even. So it's just more practice in that regard." He shrugged again. "I can sit on the log there, as if I were on horseback, and practice my shooting. And Erynneth can continue her practice while I can supervise." He added with a little smile. "Anyway, if you would rather wait for another time when you're more prepared, then I won't insist, of course. You did say you didn't come prepared to shoot," he acknowledged.

Considering the topic of sparring, he tilted his head thoughtfully when she said that 'years was too long a time'. Taking a few seconds to contemplate on why she would have put it like that, he came to a conclusion that she had misunderstood. Assuming she thought he hadn't actually done any practicing in that time, he quickly tried to correct that. "I didn't say that I hadn't practiced in that amount of time," He tried to make clear. "Only that it had been several years since I found anyone that was a match against me. I'd be interested to learn if Kaylin will be," He explained.

Her inquiry about whether he had always been satisfied with his command, brought a small shrug. He listened as she replied to the question he had turned back on her, and gave a small nod here and there. Judging by the fact she was asking at all, he could only assume that she wanted to be a very good leader. And that was admirable, and showed that she wasn't so arrogant as to think she knew all about leading. "Yes, I agree with all of those things," He spoke up thoughtfully, once she had finished. "About my previous commanders..." He tried to think. "There have been times I was slightly dissatisfied with those in leadership," He could think of a few, but that was beside the point. "but.. well, I had a wonderful captain from the time of my enlistment, and for many years until his death. Captain Rosdolad was.." He hesitated, looking down as he tried to find the right words. "He was a good friend, as well as a good captain."

He picked up a twig and absently toyed with it in his fingers as he spoke. "He came to check on me, a few times. After..Idhrenel.." Duinion cleared his throat. "In the forest, he sometimes split us up so that smaller parties were assigned different tasks, and others besides himself had opportunities at leadership, sometimes. And he would change up who was partnered with whom, so that everyone got a chance to work more one on one with various different members of the group.. if that makes sense?" He gave a small laugh. "I remember being disappointed about it, back then, especially when I was new. I wanted to work with Addhor all the time, because I knew him. He was like my big brother..." He grinned. "But it was better, the captain's way. For I forged many new friendships with others I barely knew, and learned things from others which I might not have learned, otherwise." And if he had been with Addhor's group on that fateful day, he and Addhor both might have been slain along with the rest of the party, he added mentally.

"One thing I always appreciated from him, is that he treated us all equal, and kept us all informed about what was going on. He ensured that every one of us was fully informed about whatever threat we were up against, from mission to mission. And he listened to anything we might have to add, or insight we might give. Though I was, for a very long time, the youngest and newest member of the group, he treated me just as he did everyone else, made sure that I had the same information, listened to my input, all of that. He made me feel included." He smiled slightly, reminiscing. The man had been more than a captain, at least in Duinion's eyes. He had come to think of him as a father figure, though he'd never said as much out loud. Duinion had been quite young when he joined Rosdolad's unit, and remembered the way the man had sometimes called him, and some of the other young men, 'son'.

Glancing up, he gave a small shrug before continuing, "After Captain Rosdolad's death, I served under Captain Faramir. I can think of no complaints with him, either. Everyone loved him, too, though I wasn't with him for long. And Captain Pele has never yet given me reason to complain," He hesitated. "Still, it was a tough decision, when I had to choose whether to stay in his service, or become a part of this new ranger unit." After a moment's reflection, he added, "It's still very strange to me, this new ranger corps, compared to what I was used to. It's so different, and the people are mostly unfamiliar, and sometimes I'm unsure about... everything, wondering if I made the right choice..." He said with a sigh.

Erynneth

Laughing, Eryn nodded. "Yes, we may have to just scour the city, searching for a dog trainer." She grinned. "It could take weeks! We'd better not take Hattie with us though, because if they meet her first, they might run in terror." She joked. "Who knows if that infamous tale of her feats in the ranger barracks has already gotten around?" She grinned and petted Hattie as the dog put her paws up on Eryn's knees, tail wagging.

Looking up from Hattie, she nodded. "Yes," For a second she was surprised that Kaylin seemed so surprised to hear that her father had been injured, but then remembered how he must have seemed at the last ranger meeting. "He actually got hurt around the same time as you did... maybe just a little after." She thought back, and remembered that Eryn's visits to Kaylin had become scarcer about that time, due to her beginning her healer training and then taking care of her injured father, while she had heard that Kaylin's husband had returned so Kaylin had someone else to look after her, then. Eryn hadn't actually had much chance to speak to her since. "He got attacked by a great big troll, up in the mountains!" She explained, wide-eyed. "It sounded terrifying, but he won't tell me anything more about it."

She wished he would tell her the rest of the details, but he had so far been pretty vague about what actually happened. "Anyway, his foot was hurt pretty bad, and he didn't want to go to any checkups. Then he heard he was supposed to go to that meeting.." She sighed. "My dad, um... he doesn't like to admit it, when he's hurt or sick. It's... hard to explain, and I don't really know all the reasons behind it. He just doesn't like for people to know, and he tries his best not to let on. So, I um, I probably shouldn't have done it, but I didn't know what he was going to do... I got him some stuff to numb it. Like, really numb it, with some sort of herbal salve. I don't know what all was mixed into that stuff, but it seemed to work pretty well, and then he could get by with barely limping, I guess, enough to climb up on the wagon. Then I drove him up to the sixth level, and.. then after he went inside, I asked Nal to please, please make him go see a healer.. which he'd been putting off. Since he was right there, it seemed perfect." She smiled innocently.

"Anyway, I guess he managed to pull it off where no one could tell how much his foot was hurt. He said it felt mostly like his foot was asleep, when we left the farm that morning, so not much pain, but... then he said it was starting to wear off by the time he was heading to the houses of healing. I'm afraid his walking on it might have messed something up even more." She sighed. "I've managed to convince him to stop trying to walk on it, at least, although Addhor may have had some part in convincing him on that..." She swung her feet slightly, watching Hattie snap at a fly that had buzzed past her face. "It's really hard on him, not being able to get around and do things. I guess he feels sorta..stuck in one place, or something."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

"I'm sorry to hear that," she said in relation to his longbow. She had known quite a bit of Rangers in her time who would have been devastated at the loss of their trusted main weapon." It would not be easy for me either, if I were to have to deal with the loss of my longsword. It has seen me through many years and many adventures. I think it would take a long time for another blade to feel quite as right and natural in my hand."

A slight smile curved her lips when he said he could shoot from different positions after many years of practice. And at his little challenge, she laughed quietly. "Unprepared to shoot, in the way that I left my bow, quiver and arm protection at home. But seeing as you are willing to provide the weapons, and we're talking about just a few arrows, I will not pass on the opportunity."

Arnyn wasn't too sure what to think of his correction about the sparring. He had practiced but hadn't found a match for him in several years? There had been no Rangers in his company who were skilled at knives or daggers? She would think those weapons would be frequently chosen in Ithilien. Or had he been such a loner that he had not branched out to the Rangers with skill in those regards, because they had not naturally developed a closer bond? That might be it, since the Rangers of Gondor had been formed for a while now and he had gotten to know a limited amount of the others. Arnyn could say the same, sure, but she had been traveling for many months, away from the City and the Pelennor. Then again, perhaps Duinion had done the same. It would be wrong to judge, she concluded, and therefore she did not. Letting go of her musings, she nodded. She would take his words at face value. "Good, then. I am looking forward to when your foot has imporved enough for me to arrange such a match." The Lieutenant slanted her head. "I have not seen Kaylin sparring or in action with anything else than her sword and shield, but from what I have learned about her so far... I believe it will be a challenging match, yes." She nodded at Duinion's foot. "Especially if you were too quick in assessing your foot as 'healed enough'. But that is up to you."

It seemed like she had opened the gates now, as his assessment of previous command came in. Duinion focused on those things he found positive, and Arnyn listened attentively, letting the food and drinks be for now. What Duinion said about keeping everyone informed about the goings on, made her wince mentally - although she made sure not to let it show in her body language or expression. The business with Relic and Shamara... Yet that was not a mission for the whole Ranger force, and sharing any of that was not her decision to make, but the Captain's. Yet there were things that were up to her discretion, and Arnyn looked thoughtful as she contemplated these.

When Duinion mentioned he sometimes was not sure whether he had made the right choice, Arnyn did not immediately reassure him or try and wipe his concerns off the table. "Only you can decide whether the choice was right," she said calmly after a moment of silence. "If it were me, I would be very methodical," she continued, smiling wryly at herself. "A list of positives and negatives. I am assuming being part of the Rangers of Gondor gives you more time with your daughter and with Aggie, for example? And Captain Pele does allow a lot of freedom. In any case, I would hold off on making any changes just yet. As a newly formed unit, we all still need to find our footing. You are not alone in this, I am sure. Even if it may feel that way sometimes. For example, I still need to get to know a good number of the Rangers, as well. Which bothers me, since I knew practically everyone - in some way or other - before my time in the North." Arnyn shrugged. "Something to work on." And something she was working on even as they spoke.

"So," she said, rising to her feet. "Do you need help getting to the log, Tirdinen?" There was a glint in her brown eyes.

Kaylin

"Ooooooor," Kaylin said enthusiastically, pointing her finger into the air, "they might be so intrigued by the scourge of the barracks master that they fall over one another to be the one with the honor to train her!"

"A troll," she said quietly, somewhat impressed. She had never encountered a troll before, and some strange part of her might actually be a bit jealous of Duinion for that.

But it was Eryn's disclosure about Duinion numbing his foot to the point he could barely feel it anymore, that shocked her the most. She wasn't sure what to say. She knew that pain was important when you were injured, since it told you when you were pushing your limits and when you needed to stop moving in a particular way or be more careful. Kaylin listened with quiet concern as Eryn continued. The girl's fear about how walking on it might have made the injury worse, was very likely true. With a numbed foot... The Hyandaner sighed. "He's a grown man, and your father, so there is only so much you can do. But it's a very good thing that you and this Addhor are trying to convince him to stay off it and take it easy. I hate taking the time to heal - you know I do - but I do know better than to go against the pain, since that would generally only mean I would need to take even more time to heal..." She considered something. "If you know what he mixed into it, and think he is using it more, I might suggest that the herbs in question, umh.... disappear. Or that his supply is severely reduced somehow, so he can only use enough to ease the pain instead of taking it away entirely." She shrugged. "Not that I want to strain your relationship or anything. It's just... such a bad idea, numbing his foot entirely."
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Ignoring the well trod path which the friends were strolling along, Hattie’s nose and tail stood up somewhat out of the long grass; but the young man could certainly hear her, even when he occasionally lost sight of her. The dog certainly didn’t seem to have too much interest in coming straight back to them and Unalmis had learnt already that to beckon her without bait was not going to work. The boot after all was out there with her. Assuming she had not entirely devoured it already. But she was safe. She was happy. She always came back to him eventually. Whether his footwear would or not was a problem he would think about if he needed to later.

Since the Ranger and Eryn had made their respective promises, they seemed to have fallen into something of a satisfied lull. Or an awkward anticipation. There was naturally a lot to consider, as the details began to be properly absorbed, beyond the initial shock.

Maybe Kaylin should have worn some of that armour herself,” he remarked, with the suggestion of laughter but which never quite followed through. There were some things that weren’t a joke. And Orcs ambushing you in the forest counted amongst those things, he knew all too well. But Nal had personally gone out into the forest plenty of times with no more than leather armour, and that would not necessarily stop an Orc assault. Not that he’d ever encountered Orcs in Ithilien himself .. So he certainly wasn’t going to judge. For one thing it looked like the shock had begun to set in. His friend glanced downcast, and looked remorseful, as though she was to blame for any of it.

Eryn,, hey .. Hey ?” he sought to catch her eye up from the ground. “If the Captain said Kaylin is going to be fine, then she’s definitely going to be fine,Unalmis agreed, looking to reassure her. “Pele is a good healer, the master healer, no less. And she would never lie to a patient. Besides, she let Kaylin go home, didn’t she ?” he recalled Eryn saying she had visited at the Hyandaner’s house to keep her company. “I doubt she would have discharged a patient just to make you feel better. That’s not really how it works, you know.

He knew that she would realise that, but sometimes knowing wasn’t accepting and so it didn’t hurt to hear it said. So he said it all the same. Just as a bird swept low across the fields, shouting out what sounded like due warning to any who would notice. Hattie, naturally, barked back. Unaware that she was what was likely cause for this alarm. Dropping the boot so that she could scan the sky unhindered, the patterdale followed her new elusive and winged prize, as it swooped and swam across the sunset, teasing the hound. Soon there was almost a conversation between the bird’s mocking cry and the dog resounding argument.

I’m glad you weren’t hurt as well,Unalmis decided. “Your father would certainly find out where you’d been if you were sent home in pieces. And as for the dagger … well, a weapon like that is literally made to keep you safe from harm. Which it sounds like it did. So really, he might even be more upset if you ‘hadn’t’ taken the dagger and hadn’t been able to defend yourself.” A shrug downplayed the moment, followed by a swift return to form. "Else he would not have gotten either of you back. And that has got to be the worse case scenario, right ?"

What in the Seven did you two tell Pele had happened though ? That you had gone out and got attacked by rabid knife-wielding squirrels ?” he raised an eyebrow, unsure what the Captain’s reaction to that would be; there being Orcs at all, so close to the City. He was more than sure that Pele would have seen through any tale that was told. And Eryn had said ‘they’, as though more than one person had tended the hurt. Healers had a way of recognising an untruth, usually because they could read exactly what had happened in the physical evidence of the injuries.

I think I might know someone who could help us replace the stone,Nal admitted after a thought, and trying to move their conversation in a lighter direction. The etching definitely told the young man that it was a Dringolben blade, so if Eryn’s uncle had bought it from Cali’s family, then Cali might be able to tell them where the smiths obtained their materials from. Conveniently she had returned to the city recently ... That meant they could possibly find and replace the lost piece, leaving Duinion none the worse or wiser. “Although first you’re going to have to tell me - exactly - how you killed the Orc with your father's dagger ?” he did laugh this time. Although he regretted the instinctive, almost nervous reaction almost immediately. Eryn looked so .. proud of herself. The Ranger was forced to remind himself that she would likely not wish to be patted on the head, as Hattie did. “I mean," he tried again, "how are we ever going to come up with a secret song to celebrate your victory, without all of the details ?

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

"It was a tough loss," He agreed with a sigh. Of course, he had preserved the most important part of the bow; Idhrenel's hair ribbon which he would tie onto the string of his new one, when it was made. Arnyn was right of course, it would take some time before he felt properly comfortable with the new bow, and he was also hoping that it wouldn't take too long to find a proper piece of wood to craft it from. That was one of the hardest parts, selecting the right wood, and then sometimes you got so far into the process and find that it won't work right, or a mistake renders it unusable. He was far more practiced at making arrows than bows, since he often had need for more of the former, and less often for the latter.

It was nice though to hear that Arnyn would take him up on his offer to try a few shots. Of course, that would mean he'd have to get up and get over to the log. That wasn't so pleasant, but he let out a soft sigh when she asked if he would need help. He hated having to admit it, but several people by now had impressed upon him that he must listen to the healers if he was to heal properly. "Yes, I.. will need some assistance getting up." It went against his nature, having to admit to needing help. "I have these," He admitted grudgingly, pulling out a pair of crutches he had kept hidden inside the shelter, lying alongside the bow before. He hated even worse having to use the crutches at all. But it would not be permanent, and that was his main consolation in it all. Addhor's lectures had sunk in, along with Eryn's scolding, so he was making an effort. Trying to put his pride aside, he allowed her to help him upright.

He was thinking about Arnyn's words, about how only he could decide if it was right. It was primarily because of Eryn, and Aggie too, that he had ultimately chosen the way he did. And then, if Eryn did join the rangers he would want to stay on to be close to her. "Yes, I know that feeling," he answered, as he situated the crutches under his arms. "To know everyone so well, it's as if you'd grown up together. Then, suddenly, you're working with strangers." he frowned. That had happened twice now, actually. And perhaps a part of him was a tiny bit reluctant to get too close to these new comrades, for fear of losing them, too. Which he knew was ridiculous, yet still... he had lost so many that he cared deeply about. But not everyone, he reminded himself with a faint smile. "You spent time in the North..." He spoke thoughtfully, recalling she had briefly mentioned something about that earlier, but he had been focused on other parts of the conversation then. "Did you work with any of the rangers out there?" He was curious whether she would have met a certain one, whom he knew well.

Erynneth

Eryn laughed. "Yes, that'll probably be what happens," She agreed. "They'll be fighting themselves to get a chance to train the wonderdog who defeated the mean old lieutenant," She giggled at the imagery of a bunch of dog trainers getting into a brawl over who would get to train the dog. And further imagining the chaos that would happen when Hattie got involved.

She reached down to rub the dog between the ears as she listened to Kaylin's comments about her dad and his injury. "I've been pushing him to take better care, and go to regular checkups and things like that. And trying to be sure he stays off of it." She answered. "I didn't really know then... I'd only had a few days of training so I didn't know that would be a bad idea. I'm sure he must've had some idea he ought not to have done it," She added with an eyeroll, "Only he's so stubborn and proud, he figured it'd be fine." She sighed. "But I made him promise he wouldn't do that again." She laughed lightly. "Funny, how the roles have changed a little, huh? Me taking care of him, when it used to be the other way around."

She swung her feet, bouncing her heels against the lower part of the fence. "Nal and his father, Addhor, have come to visit him often." She paused. "Well, Nal is mostly coming to see Hattie I guess, and we spend a lot of time together while we play with her. But he checks in on Daddy too, while he's here. Addhor comes now and then to see how he is. Do you know him? I think he's helped a lot.. he can say things to get through to him, that I can't. And," She hesitated. "I think he's been having another visitor sometimes, but he won't tell me about that, and acts very mysterious about it." She mentioned, looking puzzled and curious.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor

“Maybe Kaylin should have worn some of that armour herself,”

Nal's comment made Eryn frown thoughtfully. She had thought the same, many times since the incident. If she'd had on the chainmail, instead of Eryn.. she never would've gotten hurt. And Eryn... well, they couldn't have known how it would turn out, she acknowledged. If Eryn hadn't been wearing the chainmail, suppose she would have been the one getting hurt? One could never tell. She tried not to fret overmuch about it, but it was all too easy to think, afterward, how it should have been. Before she could get too far into such thoughts, Nal was reminding her that it was not her fault, and assuring her that Pele would not lie. Looking up, Eryn managed a small smile. "Yes, she let Kaylin go home, but she's not allowed to do like...anything. For a while." She shrugged. "That's why I'm planning to come by and visit with her every day until she's a little better."

Speaking of healing... she was eager to share her new plan for training with him as well. But that opening swept by before she had a chance to seize it, he mentioned being glad she wasn't hurt. Obviously, she knew he would have been glad for the fact, if he was a friend at all. But just hearing him say so... it was nice to hear. She smiled happily to hear him say it, then the smile faded slightly as Nal brought up the dagger again. Eryn let out a little laugh at the talk of rabid squirrels with knives. How did he seem to always manage to make her laugh, no matter how she might be feeling? "Oh yes, how did you guess?" She joked, grinning. "Knife-wielding squirrels and chipmunks, and they were led by a vicious raccoon carrying a great big sword." Shaking her head in amused, she let the smile fade slightly as he spoke of her having used the dagger, how it must have been useful to her, wondering how on earth she'd managed to kill an orc with it. "Actually... I didn't use the dagger at all," She informed him quietly. "I didn't even take it out of the sheath... in fact, I sort of forgot I even had it." She admitted, slightly embarrassed about that part.

Before Nal could question further how she had managed such a feat without even using the dagger, she explained, "I had my bow," She revealed, then realized that she didn't still have it with her. "I guess I left it at Kaylin's house, but.. anyway. I had to use two arrows to kill it, but... I stopped it. And a good thing too... it was looming over Kaylin, and she was hurt, and it was about to finish her off.. I was so scared, Nal..." She paused, taking a deep breath, trying to remember some of the details, in order to relay the story back to hime. "I shot another one too, or maybe it was the same one, I don't remember. But that arrow only went into the thing's leg..." She frowned as she tried to remember more, but some things were slightly fuzzy by this point, since she'd barely slept. "I think that was when this happened." She decided, with a nod toward the dagger. Growing thoughtful, she tried to remember back to that moment when she took her first shot at the orcs. "I remember, I was standing by this tree, and Kaylin had turned back to fight them.. she'd already killed one or two by that time. And I saw one of them coming at her, so I just...took a shot at it. Then I heard her yelling my name, and I glanced up, and..." She hesitated, shivering slightly. "I ducked to the side, just in time to avoid his attack.." She took a deep breath, thinking carefully. "Later, when we were on our way back to the city.. I noticed the sheath was scuffed, and then saw the damage on the dagger." She explained, sighing. "There weren't any other occasions I can think of where it might have happened. I can only figure, maybe with all that was happening, I must not have felt when the sword grazed over my side where the sheath was?"

The idea of a secret song was amusing. "How could we come up with a song?" She tilted her head, intrigued. "I mean, I don't think I'd know where to begin writing a song or coming up with a tune or anything," She mentioned, trying to think whether she'd ever even made an attempt at such a thing. "Do you?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

A plague on that dastardly racoon and his rodent rogues !!Unalmis shook his hand grandly at the sky when Eryn laughed, and then paused, dropped a grin and puzzled on purpose. “Or wait, maybe that should be a plague OF rogue rodents ?” With a shrug, he let Eryn continue. When she mentioned that she’d not even drawn the dagger though, he was confused how it had become damaged at all.

Mention of the bow, moments later, explained everything of course. Eryn was a particularly keen archer, he knew. Mostly because it was the one weapon which her father had conceded to teach her, and she had clearly made certain to gain as much from that small allowance as she possibly could. Nal watched her, sidelong, during the account that followed, and half smiled as she described having saved Kaylin from an Orc who was looming over her friend, ready to deliver a final, probably fatal blow .. “Must run in the family,” he muttered, quietly, without requiring to explain himself. His friend had paused, taking a breath, before dissecting the skirmish more thoughtfully.

Everyone is scared you know,” he mentioned, when she had imparted her tale. “Out there ? Even your father. Especially their first time.” A short release of breath escaped him in amusement, now that there was hindsight. “I almost got lost, my first time. One minute my father was right there, stood so close I could have tripped over him. The next moment, I couldn’t see him anywhere. And it’s not like he’s a swift mover these days ! I still don’t know what happened. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention .. maybe he was ‘teaching’ me to pay attention ..” The Ranger pulled a face. “But Orcs, Eryn,” he searched for the words as they walked, at a more steady pace now than before. Indeed they could have been any young pair of Pelennor people, strolling through the evening. If no one ventured close enough to hear their conversation. “Kaylin could not have known that would happen. And it would be weird if you hadn’t been scared,” he assured her, although keeping his tone as casual as he could. “I guarantee you she was probably scared. Because she’s not stupid. Only stupid people aren’t scared, because not being scared is how you end up doing something stupid. And you guys had already covered the stupid by sneaking out there” he poked Eryn in the arm playfully with his spare hand. “But that’s what rangers do. You didn’t let being scared stop you from being useful.

Swinging the remaining boot left in one hand, Nal raised his other to shield his gaze and glean a hope for Hattie to be seen amidst the grass. The two were not far out now from the dairy farm, by his reckoning, and Hattie was a mere noise about the background. At this rate he’d have to send Eryn home ahead of him, while he hunted down the errant pup. And not arriving together would rather defy the whole point of his coming out to apologise to Aggie that he had made the girl late ! But just as the young Ranger was despairing on that count, the dog appeared in a flurry of excitement from the other direction and was soon snapping at his second boot, having clearly dispatched with the first. Or otherwise lost it somewhere out in the fields. With a shrug Unalmis figured there were worse things he could be without and might have even thrown the second piece of footwear if he had not recognised a need to hold it high, and keep Hattie’s attention now at the last.

Oh, coming up with songs is easy anyway, and also fun,” the subject changed, in a deceptively natural fashion, as the dairy farm began to grow into better definition. “My friend Trev is especially good at it. We’d come up with some nonsense rhyme to help us remember the details of some battle, for a test at school. And he’d come up with a catchy tune to make it easy to remember. Easy and fun. Really he should have been a musician …” he trailed off, without disclosing what vocation Trevadir had actually elected to take up.

That is something you can do with Kaylin maybe, if you visit her. I mean, being stuck in bed and not able to do anything is the absolute worst. But making up a song about your exploits, it will give her something to do even after you’ve gone. Coming up with her own verse or something, or just singing what you’ve come up with so far to remember it, to see if it can’t be improved, writing it down . .. she can write in her condition, can’t she ? If not, start all over again the next day. Who knows it might be even better !

And just to prove how easy it could be, Unalmis proceeded to compose a nonsensical little rhyme on the spur of the moment. Sadly without any tune at this early stage to enhance it. But enough to make his point at least.

So say there were two maidens fair
a storm of autumn’s leaves, for hair
their laughter, sweet as song of bird,
around them always could be heard.

And say this pair, both with eyes bright,
each bore a heart of brave delight
They dared where few would dare to tread
A forest which might see them dead !

One bore a bow with practiced arm
to keep her safe from any harm.
Her eyes were hazel, like the tree,
and ..

Pausing to consider the muse before him, the young man struggled to find words to finish up his rhyme any more than he already had. “I don’t know,” he surrendered to a short attention span. “You can just go on from there, and have fun with it. I make songs up about the devious Lieutenant Brian all the time,” he confided, with a glint of mischief about brown eyes. “It whiles away hours when I can’t sleep sometimes,” he laughed. “But don’t you go sharing my secret now, will you ?” he threw a fast glance at Eryn, in sudden afterthought. “And there’s the farm ..” he directed her attention, to what must have been already clear to the farm’s actual resident. But still, it served a timely reminder, for them to watch out for Aggie and the Farmer.

Take Hattie, and give me the dagger,Nal suddenly advised his friend, out of the hush of his mouth. “I can say I have one just like your father’s, if Aggie spots it.” He winked, conspiratorial. Because there would be no shock whatsoever if Eryn’s guardians saw that he possessed a battered or damaged weapon.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor

Eryn couldn't help a laugh at Nal's theatrics of cursing the imaginary army of woodland creatures. "Such bandits they were!" She agreed in amusement. Things like that were why she so enjoyed talking with him. "Though I don't think Pele would have believed that for a moment, in honesty." She admitted with a grin. "So, Kaylin told her the truth, about the orcs and everything. I guess she seemed concerned. I was a little.. preoccupied at the moment." She admitted, thoughtfully.

Glancing curiously at him, Eryn took a moment to ponder the meaning behind his muttered statement, and recalled being told, upon the occasion of meeting his father, that her father had once saved his life. That reminded her, she never did get the full story out of him. Anytime she had pressed her father to tell her more details, all he would reply was that it was all a long time ago and held much sorrow for them both. So she hadn't really inquired further. Did Nal know the story? She wondered about that, but was detained from asking him as he began speaking again. This time, to assure her that being scared was entirely normal. She turned her head to look at Nal as he was talking, listening. Of course it made sense, but it was so easy to forget that even folks who'd been through the worst of the war and fighting, could still be scared. It was hard to imagine some people being afraid, but she figured it must happen at some point or another.

After a little silence, letting those words sink in, she noticed they were getting ever nearer to the farm, and slowed her pace slightly. Nal was talking about his friend now, the one who played music. She thought back, nodding thoughtfully. She remembered Ryn talking about him, too. The one who made up lots of tunes. Didn't he make that friend a weapon that was also an instrument? She thought she remembered him telling her dad about that, in her hearing, but she couldn't recall what the instrument was. Nor how it could turn into a weapon. That seemed like ages and ages ago, however. Nal had begun to come up with a rhyme on the spot, and Eryn stopped briefly to listen, impressed by how easily the lines came to him. She grinned as he went on for quite a few lines, until running out of steam, apparently. "That was very good!" She laughed. "A storm of autumn’s leaves, for hair," She repeated, enjoying that line perhaps the most. "I'll have to write all that down when we get to the farm," She grinned. "So I don't forget any of it. I can't wait to repeat all that to Kaylin." She was quite certain that she wouldn't be able to come up with any lines to finish the song, to do the first part justice. But they could try. Perhaps Kaylin was good at that sort of thing?

"Oh, I'd love to hear some of your songs about Lieutenant Brian sometime," Eryn giggled at the thought of what lines those might contain. "I won't share your secret." She grinned back at him, until he had called her attention back to the farm, now in view. "Yes," She answered. "I'm far later than I wanted to be, but I suppose that means I needn't hurry, now." She shrugged, pausing to delay a bit longer. "I only told Aggie that I had a friend who needed someone to accompany her someplace, and that we'd be camping overnight, maybe two." She let Nal know, so he would know how much her aunt had been informed. "I figure there's no need to let her know that my friend got injured... or where we went. Or anything else of that sort." She knew that Aggie had seen Kaylin through the window, so she would know that Eryn had indeed gone with a female, so there ought not be any worry about that.

Before going onward, Eryn glanced down at the dagger, as he suggested swapping again, for Hattie. After how difficult that had been, up at the ranger barracks? She hesitated at his suggestion that he could claim to have another just like it. "I don't think Aggie would buy that story for a second, so you'd better just keep it out of sight." She suggested, knowing her father's dagger was not likely to have any others like it. Although she did pass it to him. "We might hide it someplace, before going in?" She suggested, instead. "And anyway, that'll give me time to tell you the other thing I wanted to tell you." She gave him a smile hinting at yet more surprise information as she glanced around. "Oh, I know.. this way," She waved a hand to indicate he should follow.

Climbing over a fence, she led him toward a spot in the field where her archery practice dummy was trussed up to a tree. "See, we can hide the dagger with Mr. Orc here," She giggled, poking around near where the stuffed sack, painted up to resemble an ugly orc, was tied against the tree. How strange, she thought, that only a few days ago her adventure had begun with her shooting at this, and wondering how she might fare if it were real. And now.. she had actually confronted a real one, and come back victorious. In no time at all, she had pulled its 'back' away from the tree, forming an open space where something like a dagger could be tucked away, out of sight. "Slide it in there, and we'll retrieve it when we need it again," She whispered, holding the space open until the dagger was in place.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

When he acknowledged he would need some help, Arnyn closed the rest of the distance between them to first accept the bow from Duinion and then extend her right hand and arm, as if for a warrior's clasp. He could grab her forearm and she could grab his in return, and they could both pull him up. Once he was standing on his good foot, he could use the crutches he was holding in his other hand to balance himself, and Arnyn let go.

As Duinion asked about her time in the North, Arnyn gathered some of the arrows lying around the shelter and his spot by the tree. "Hmm," she replied with a nod, crouching down to sweep up some of them with her hand. "I did, yes. Honestly, I was never much of a loner. I like working with people, rather than alone." Once she thought she had enough arrows, at least for the time being, she fluidly rose back to her feet and smiled questioningly. "Why?"

She headed for the log he had pointed out, at a leisurely pace.

Kaylin

She laughed when Eryn said it felt like the roles between her father and her were somewhat reversed at the moment. "Aye. But well done, Eryn. If his pride was getting in the way of common sense, I am glad he had you and this Addhor to set him straight." Kaylin smiled happily, then shrugged. "No, don't know Addhor I'm afraid. He's Unalmis' father? And Duinion has known him for a long time?"

At the idea of a mystery visitor, Kaylin slanted her head and tapped her chin, almost comically pensive. Her eyes were drawn to Hattie, who was enjoying Eryn's attentions. "Mystery is always fascinating," she said slowly. "When does this person visit, you think? After dark? Perhaps it is worth it to test your level of some very important ranger skills, then! Patience, watchfulness, and stealth!"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Child of Gondor
Nell with Pele, Mourgan, and the Guard
@Pele Alarion

Nell laughed at the image Pele painted for her. "Now that would be a sight." She replied as she tried to catch her breath. Meanwhile the Guard nibbled his cookie and tried not to show his amusement at the Captains statement. He doubted she would ever suffer from such a fate as he'd seen her daily workouts and how busy she kept herself. She was a fine of a woman but he would never tell her that.

Mourgan merely ate his cookie in silence and tried to image such a scene. He was sure Cali could make the armor but now his thoughts were just leaning towards the Smithy as they always seemed to do lately.

Nell recovered and after finishing her cookie she looked at Pele. They had cleared the gate and now a whole world lay before them. It felt good to get out of the city and it's constant noise and chatter. A flock of geese honked as they flew overhead and she cast her eyes upwards. "Come on Pele, let's see if we can keep up!" She laughed as she heeled her horse into a canter. Mourgan soon followed much to the pack horses grunts of disapproval . The Guard waited for Pele to follow suit. "After you Captain." He motioned for her to proceed.

Nell laughed as she cast a glance behind to see who followed and where they were. "Hurry or they'll leave us behind!"
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

Somehow, it didn't surprise him that Arnyn said she preferred working with people, rather than working alone. He was mostly the opposite, and would admit as much if asked. After making sure he had his balance, and wouldn't end up toppling over, he nodded to himself in approval at the choice of arrows she had picked to scoop up. It was annoyingly slow, getting to the log. An achievement that, under normal circumstances, would have only required him to take a few easy strides. He was very much looking forward to when they would tell him he could put weight on his foot again.

Putting off her inquiry for the time being, Duinion concentrated on keeping the movement of the crutches in time with his step. He'd really hate to lose his balance and end up falling over, and needing help again. But at last, he was carefully situated on the log, crutches leaned beside it. "I was curious," He answered then, "because I wondered if you might have met someone that I happen to know." He paused to think how to word it without revealing anything he shouldn't. "He's a northern ranger I encountered during the Pelennor Battle; goes by the name Gwandhyra?" He glanced at her, curious if she had ever met him. It was entirely possible that she had never met him, of course, but then again, it was just as possible she had. So, he was interested to know if she knew his friend.

"How many arrows did you get?" He added, trying to count how many she had in her hand. "And, would you like to shoot first?" He offered, figuring it would be polite. He wondered if she would need an arm protector, and if he ought to offer to let her use his, but he hadn't thought of that until now and it was back there in his shelter.

Erynneth

Eryn smiled, swinging her feet, then laughed and tried to stop Hattie from trying to catch the hem of her skirt in her teeth. "Quit..Go find a stick or something... go fetch!" She called, throwing an imaginary toy and hoping it would work. The dog ran a couple of steps before turning back to look at Eryn with her head tilted questioningly to the side, then trotted back to her to wait for the real throw. "Sorry, I don't have any toys for you." Eryn showed her empty hands apologetically.

"Oh yeah, my father's known him practically all his life," She answered Kaylin's question, taking a moment to think how to explain their relationship. "My dad, and Addhor's little brother, they were best friends growing up, like inseparable. So he was over at their house all the time, he'd even spend the night as much as their mother let him. He thinks of them both like his brothers, and they were very close.. except, well.. the younger one I think died, or something. I never met him, and it makes Daddy sad to talk about it, so I don't ask." She looked down sadly. "But, anyway. He and Addhor were rangers together a long time ago.. actually he's why my dad first joined, because he wanted to be like his 'big brother'." She grinned, then it faded slightly. "But then, Addhor lost one of his legs, so he had to retire from that life. He's a carpenter now, and really good at it; if you ever need anything wood-related, you should go talk to him." She explained. "But, anyway... the reason I mentioned that about his leg, is 'cause... I figure of all people, he must know better than anyone what my father's dealing with, and how to help him.. deal with it better." She shrugged. "Whatever Addhor said to him, it worked, cause he's been a lot less stubborn since the first time he came to see him after his injury." She paused, then added, "I think my dad has always sorta looked up to him, too."

Reaching down to pet Hattie, Eryn caught herself from nearly losing her balance when the dog darted away at the last second, thinking it was time for some sort of new game. Eryn sat up again, and watched her run off into one of the fields, wondering what she was up to this time. Focusing her attention back toward Kaylin, she grinned at the idea her friend had suggested. It was very much in line with an idea Eryn had been entertaining, herself. "I think it's at night when they come," She answered. "I was sort of thinking about trying to practice a few skills..." She mentioned with a grin. "Actually, I try to practice that sort of thing a lot," She admitted. "Whenever I go to sit with my dad, I try to see how close I can get to where he's at before he hears or sees me. I'm a lot better at it now than I was when I first started trying." She mentioned, quite proud of the fact.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

"Gwandhyra?" Arnyn shook her head. "No, no one by that name." In response to his question about the arrows, she shrugged. "About a dozen. We can see where that takes us." She could always get more. There were an almost ridiculous amount of arrows lying about, really. She hid a grin at the thought. Duinion really was killing time.

"Would I like to shoot first?" she repeated his question. Arnyn looked amused. "Nay, nay. Primary weapon should be the first to go, secondary weapon the second." She approached Duinion to hold the bow back out to him. Once he would accept it, she would offer one of the arrows.

She was rather curious to see him shoot. Since she also wanted to get an idea of everyone's skill set, this was really kind of perfect.

Kaylin

After Eryn explained about Addhor, Kaylin nodded slowly. "If Addhor lost one of his legs, maybe he made your father see how things could be much worse, and that it was a gift that it wasn't worse. And that he should not throw that gift away." Kaylin thought about that for a moment, getting a bit more serious. But then she shrugged. "Who knows? I bet it really does help if Duinion looks up to him."

"You know... you just used 'father', 'dad'... and 'daddy'... as you were talking." Kayin hesitated. "It always sounds strange to me, when you use 'daddy' to talk about your father?" Kaylin raised her hands apologetically. "For me, it makes you sound like you're younger than you are? I'm not saying you should stop using it, but I'm probably not the only one who wouldn't associate the use of 'daddy' with the young adult that you are? Maybe someone already mentioned it and I am being annoying, but maybe this is the first time anyone has said anything and you want to avoid people getting a less mature impression of you than they should. Because you're definitely not a child anymore, Eryn." Kaylin smiled softly. "And I realize that. But I've only recently met you. You were already grown, so to speak. Others who have known you longer might already find it difficult to see you as more of an adult than a kid. Hearing you say 'daddy' would not help with that." She was also thinking of Unalmis, but didn't want to say it plainly.

Grateful for the change of topic, and grinning at Hattie's antics, Kaylin was interested in what Eryn had seemingly taught herself. "You are? Then what have you learned? What do you do differently now, than before?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Steward of Gondor
@Arnyn

Duinion
2 weeks after midsummer

Hearing that she did not know his friend, Duinion gave a small nod. "I'm not terribly surprised, I don't think he's all that well known, of course, but I couldn't help being curious." He explained with a small smile. He did have other reasons for asking, but didn't mention those. Since she didn't know him, there was little reason for concern that she might recognize him if she saw him. Though there was little chance of that, unless she lingered here into the night.

Taking the bow back, he grinned. "One could argue 'ladies first', but I will accept your decision, Lieutenant." He accepted the arrow with a smile. Placing the arrow on the string, he checked that the arrow fit on it well enough, and that all appeared correct. Several of these arrows had yet to be officially tested since the fletching was added, so he was eager to see how well they flew. And the bow, though he had used it a few times in practice with Eryn, was still a bit unfamiliar to him. It was not his bow, no matter how well it worked. But, at least he had used this one a few times now, and had gotten a feel for it, enough for it not to feel strange to his hands.

Once he felt satisfied with how the nock on the arrow clicked into place on the string, and that the fletching lined up as it should, he drew back and released quickly. The twang from the string caused a nearly involuntary cringe at the sound; his longbow had been far more silent than that. But the arrow hit just off from the center of the target, speeding through the air slightly more swiftly than if it had come from his longbow. While he appreciated the better speed of a recurve, he preferred the stealth and silence of a longbow, although both had their place and their advantages.

As Arnyn passed him the arrows, he took a moment to inspect each one, the same way, before firing them. By the time he had shot all of the arrows, he had formed a ring encircling the center of the target, purposely ensuring that there was at least an inch of space between each arrow so not to cause damage to them. His goal was to keep them as uniformly spaced as possible, rather than getting them as close together as possible. From here, he thought it looked as if he'd done fairly well at accomplishing his goal, and regretted that he could not easily go and inspect it for himself. "Your turn now, Lieutenant." He offered the bow to her. "If you would like to borrow my arm protector, it's in the shelter." He mentioned, just in case she preferred to use one.

Erynneth

Eryn really had no idea what sort of discussion Addhor and her dad had held concerning his injury, but she was glad that he had come to talk to him, whatever he'd said to him. Hattie barked at her, probably trying to remind her that she was still there, and still wanted to play. Eryn considered for a moment, moving her hand behind her back. "Ready?" She watched Hattie eagerly brace herself to run. "Alright.. fetch!" She threw..nothing. And watched the dog bolt off like lightning, racing at top speed off into the field. Eryn laughed, shaking her head in amusement and wondering what the dog would bring back with her.

Kaylin's comment drew her attention back to her friend, and she tilted her head as she listened thoughtfully. Eryn blinked, thinking about this matter. "Huh..." It was certainly not a subject that had ever been broached upon with her, by anyone. "I... never really thought about that." She admitted. "That's just what I've always called him." Actually, she had not been around a lot of others her own age, until befriending Unalmis, so hadn't really thought about what anyone else might call their fathers. Her cousins in Dol Amroth did not have a father anymore, so on the rare instances that they visited, there was no comparison of what they called their father. She knew that Nal had not been close with his father growing up, and so it made sense that he would call him simply 'father', but it never occurred to her that it might be odd for her to use the term daddy, at her age. But now that Kaylin mentioned it, she was thinking very hard about that. Nal had called her 'just a child' when speaking to Lieutenant Brian, that time...

She was sort of glad to have the topic move on, and focus on the matter of her skills, whatever those might be. "Well, he doesn't want to teach me anything, yet." She frowned. "So it's mostly just stuff that I've had to try and figure out. Walking really slow and careful, watching out for sticks or things that might make noise, that sort of thing. But the more I practice it, the easier it gets, you know? And," She smiled. "I found that it's easier to walk sneakily when I'm barefoot. And I mostly only wear shoes when I'm going into town, anyway. Except that time we went... you know where." She grinned. "Anyway, I can't think of anything I'm doing exactly differently than before, just.. moving more carefully, I guess." She shrugged.

"Oh, and I've convinced him to teach me how to do some basic traps and things!" She added excitedly. "Only, I have to wait a little while till he can walk better." She sighed in frustration. More waiting. She'd be old and grey before she ever got to join the rangers, or so it seemed.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Pele with Nell, Mourgan, and the Guard

@Isolde Alarion

Pele tried to keep up a serious face, though Nell's hearty laughter eventually made her grin. "If it were a case... I might simply roll down a hill at enemies and squish them," she added, finishing off the first cookie. However, there was no time to eat the other two when Nell called for racing - and that against geese in the sky.

"Hey!..." she only managed to exclaim, as she slipped the remaining cookies into her pocket and held on for dear life. Temper needed no other urging and took off after Nell's horse taking it to be some sort of a game. Pele let him set the speed he wanted, simply making sure to stay in the saddle since the good beast liked nothing more than running as fast as he could. The feel of wind plucking at her hair felt good, and for some time she simply enjoyed it.

"Should we follow the geese to wherever they are off to?" she asked, as Temper made to rush by Nell and her horse. "Or show them our direction to follow?"

They would have to stop by the gate of Rammas Echor either way, but there was still a plenty of room for speed and fun until they got that far.

"Catch me if you can!" she called out a joyful challenge, and looked back, particularly at her guard who would be forced to try and keep up if he were to fulfil his duties.

Arriving at Daisy Dairy Farm, in the Pelennor Fields.

Unalmis was inclined to agree that Pele wouldn’t have believed any wild stories about sword-wielding rodents. Not that he had tried that line before .. yet .. Anyway, the notion had steered Eryn away from ruminating too long on her dangerous experience. As had the spontaneous attempt at song composition. And while there was, of course, some benefit to reflecting with hindsight, there was also a time and a place for it. The girl’s arrival at home, where she was about to reunite with Aggie and the farmer, was not one of those times or places.
Well I wasn’t planning on waving the thing beneath her nose, and declaring at her to judge how much ‘my’ damaged dagger was very like your father’s !” he laughed. Holding his remaining boot up high so that Hattie jumped, rather ineffectively, at it. Rather than try to seize at the more perilous weapon again. “She might even have insisted on comparing the two, and then where would we be ?!

They would be .. heading yet further away from their destination ? With a shrug, Nal turned from the lure of better inspecting the weapon she had handed him, toward a fence close by, which could clearly stand no obstacle to the young woman. He grinned, observing how naturally Eryn climbed it, as certain as other certain young women that he knew might have searched for a gate by which to enter the field. It must be great fun to live on a farm. Briefly he glanced toward Hattie, who met him with a hopeful expression and rolled her head when he merely offered pats. And then, in following both his friend and her example, the Ranger climbed where Eryn had before him. Leaving a rather pitiful dog whining behind them at the barricade.

Hattie’s pitying cry did nothing to dispel Eryn’s thrill though, for soon she giggled and poked at ‘Mr Orc’ with no visible trauma from having confronted his real life equivalent not so long before. “Very sneaky,” the Ranger noted, trying not to look too very impressed as she demonstrated a convenient hiding place for their secret. Although he rather was. “You’ve stowed things here before now, haven’t you ?” he suspected, with one raised eyebrow. He’d spirited many things away into secret hidey holes over the years of course. The problem was that they rarely seemed to be there when he went back to retrieve them. Which meant that either he was so good at hiding, that he had forgotten his own hiding places. Or that someone, rather likely to be his grandmother, had known exactly where to look and regularly emptied said hoards in a private despair.

Come on then, out with it,Nal encouraged the unearthing of his friend’s ‘other thing’, even as he wedged the dagger where Eryn had made a space for it. “What other secrets are you keeping up in there ? Enquiring minds are eager to know ..” he added, through his teeth, and nodding his head sidelong toward the frustrations of Hattie. Who was now barking at the pair of them with abandon, her front paws resting rather determinedly on the bars of the sturdy fence. “You’ve been making up songs about the Lieutenant as well, haven’t you ?” he teased.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor

"Be patient, Hattie," Eryn scolded gently, trying to shush her. But it was no use, and seemed only to encourage the dog to increase her noise. She hoped Nal would hurry so they could get back to Hattie and get her to hush. Before long, he was wedging the dagger into the hiding spot. It would be safe enough there overnight, she figured, and they could reclaim it again in the morning, when he would return to town. Then he could take it with him and see the smith. Perhaps she could come along. She'd like to, if nothing prevented her from doing so. Then she could go on to visit Kaylin for the rest of the day... yes, it should work out just perfectly.

Eryn grinned at Nal when he expressed suspicion that she had used this spot to hide things before. "Perhaps." She answered mysteriously, offering no explanation, but smiled as she patted the stuffed sack back into place around the dagger. Actually, she had very little need to hide things, normally. But there were instances, when she had been trying to pull arrows from the target, that she had noticed this little gap and how it would be a good place to hide something small, if ever she had need of such a place. Turns out, it had come in handy at last. "There, so long as it doesn't rain it should be perfectly safe there." She paused then, taking a look at her artwork, and decided she could have done a better job at it. "Let's hope Mr. Orc doesn't come to life and take it over though." She joked, knowing such a thing was not possible.

Nal's guess at what she planned to reveal brought another laugh. "No, I'm no good at coming up with songs," She assured him, rolling her eyes. Even if she had been familiar with the lieutenant before now, she wasn't likely to have thought about making up songs about him. But she was eager to share the last bit of news. She would have told him right there, but Hattie's barking was getting louder by the second, and Eryn would rather not have Aggie come running out to investigate all that noise. "We're coming, Hattie!" She called, leading the way back to the fence. Once she had returned to Hattie's side of it, she leaned against a fence post while she waited for Nal, and then finally spilled the rest of her figurative beans.

"I'm going to start training as an apprentice healer, in a week or two." She declared, with a mix of excitement and nervousness. She reached a hand out to pet Hattie. "I figured, since I remember you told me once that you have to have at least basic healer training in the rangers, well.. I could go ahead and do that much before I've even joined. I mean, my father can't hardly object to my learning important healer skills, right? And then I can hopefully get good at it, so.. then I can know what to do in emergencies, you know..." She trailed off, wondering how well she would do at it. She feared that she might not be any good, but she wanted to learn. And she wanted to know how to not be helpless in a medical situation, next time something like that happened. And she didn't want to have to rely on whatever a healer told her about a patient's condition. Continuing on after a brief pause, Eryn added, "I'm waiting until my dad comes back from his trip in the mountains, though, and..well, to talk it over with Aunt Aggie and Uncle Cailon, and all that stuff." She explained. "Although, also in part.. because I want to be around a lot for Kaylin, while she's recovering, and I can't do that if I'm stuck in training for a few hours."

Waiting a week or two was not likely to have a huge impact on her learning the skills, so she could wait until a more convenient time to begin. Glancing at Nal, she wondered what he might think of this new plan, or if perhaps he had some insight as to a reason her father might object, since he knew the ranger side of Duinion better than Eryn, who mostly only knew the 'dad' side of him.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arriving at Daisy Dairy Farm, in the Pelennor Fields.

I think if your father has used the dagger at all, then it’s seen worse than a little rain,Unalmis shrugged, unconcerned. What brief chance he’d had to examine the weapon hadn’t convinced him that it was an especially ‘ceremonial’ type weapon, albeit for the jewel which had apparently been lost. And the fact of it being a Dringolben blade, he personally knew, the family had long made rather practical tools, for all that they were fine to look upon. But maybe Eryn had been more concerned that rain would see the target’s straw sacking sag .. He was not a farmer and had not paid much attention to the structures of scarecrows, which this ‘Orc’ reminded him most of.

Her jest about the thing coming to life, did make him stall and consider it more closely, if only to sate his curiosity about the thing. They had similar constructs of course in the training grounds, but this one must have been homemade. “Is he your creation, or your father’s ?” he asked, with an idle throw of his head back toward 'Mr Orc', as they started over to soothe the impatient pup.

Once the two-legged folks were returned to ‘her’ side of the fence, Hattie noticeably relaxed, in the form of pushing at them to console her for this lapse in attention. Nal was laying it on thick, as though he’d not seen the dog for a week, rather than simply left her side for a few minutes, when Eryn revealed the latest of her revelations. And the young Ranger turned in surprise to see if she was serious.

There really is no stopping you, is there ?” he laughed, wondering when she would have the time to accomplish all that she seemed keen to, before straightening up and looking at least a little contrite, in case she took offence at the remark. “They will still train you in healing once you enlist, you know,” he felt it only fair to warn her. “Though maybe Pele would rush you through it if she knows you’ve had some training already. I guess healer training can’t hurt,” he grinned, at the irony. “It’s probably a good way to get used to facing injuries, before you see them in the field. But then, you have already covered that one, haven’t you ?” he cast her a thoughtful glance, not least of all imagining that her recent visit to the houses of healing had inspired this new ambition.

A lot of the more experienced Rangers are extremely proficient in healing. I guess that’s how they’ve stayed alive to be so experienced,” it was only fair to admit though. “The Captain being Master Healer for a start. I always figured that it would be some degree of inner turmoil, to willingly inflict injury and still have a head for wanting to preserve life. Although I guess, most do the one, for the sake of the other anyway. In emergencies, sure, it can make all the difference ..

He did not share the thought, that if Eryn’s father had only shown up and shot the Orc, then his father would have bled out regardless. Save for the emergency healing. It did matter. It made a difference. He also knew Eryn’s mother had died of some medical complication, though he did not know the details, and had never felt it proper to ask. Only to listen, if she wanted to talk about it. She hadn’t so far and that was fine. Mothers was a subject they both tended to avoid, without ever having to explain or feel guilty about it. His mother had left, not of course like his friend’s had. But the abrupt departure had been no less inexplicable. Nobody wanted to talk about feeling that helpless to stop what simply was. In that respect though, healing was not unlike any other element of training for a Ranger. You could be as prepared as it was possible, but there was never a guarantee.

Part of it,” he felt he should point out then, if only to shake other pointless thoughts from his mind by this point, “is learning that sometimes you can’t save everyone. But you’re right,” he hastened onto the more positive conclusion. “I’m sure your father won’t have any objection to the plan. Can your Aunt and Uncle spare you from farm chores for enough time to do it ? That will be your biggest dilemma, probably. That, or Kaylin fighting off your efforts to bandage her up, for the sake of practice !” He had to hide a smile at the thought of that last, though he did not hide it particularly well. The image was just too hilarious.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth Raedor

Eryn shrugged at the comment about the rain. She didn't think it was likely to rain, but one could never be too sure about those things. At least not her, she knew her father was able to judge pretty accurately about the weather, within reason. She knelt to give Hattie her undivided attention for a moment, until Nal's question about the 'orc' caught up to her. "Both, actually," She laughed. "He made it, then I painted it up, and he's been my target for archery practice for...forever, now, seems like." She explained. "We made him when I first convinced daddy to teach me to shoot. That was sometime before the war, remember? Cause I had my bow when we had to leave for Lossarnach," She mentioned, recalling how she had been so pleased to have a bow and arrows to bring along during the evacuation for the war, and had declared that she would help their ranger escort in his duties to protect the others. That was when she had met Nal, and it seemed like ages ago now. "We've redone the straw a few times since we first made him, but he's mostly the same as then." She went on, glad it was a bit dark so any blushing could not be seen.

Eryn then straightened from petting Hattie, looking at Nal again as he responded to her news about healer training. "Do you think I should be stopped?" She wondered, tilting her head slightly. He had thus far been in favor of her plans, but that comment made her wonder slightly. But he then carried on to speak more about the idea, and sounded more and more in favor of it. Relieved, she grinned back at him. "Well, if they feel the need to train me again in healing skills, then it will be far easier for me to get through a refresher course, than if I was learning it all for the first time. Right?" She smiled. "I hope by that time that I'll be somewhere beyond 'basic knowledge', for I have over two years to spend in training, before that point." She mentioned. She made no comment about having already faced injuries in the field, preferring not to revisit those particular memories.

Nal was speaking now about how it must be difficult to inflict injuries while wanting to stop them. Eryn thought a bit about that. "Perhaps it also helps, though. If a person knows enough about that sort of thing... I suppose they could probably know just how to strike someone in a way that it stops them, without killing or causing permanent damage," She mentioned thoughtfully. "That's something I'll have to inquire about." She decided, trying not to get lost in the possibilities for how both healing and fighting could work hand in hand. The reminder about knowing there could be times when, no matter her skill, there might be someone she couldn't save... was one she wasn't sure she wanted to hear. But of course, it was true, and she nodded slightly, acknowledging the fact. She had heard that said before. Her dad had mentioned it, though the thought did not seem to comfort him as much as one might have hoped. She knew he had seen comrades fall in combat that were unable to be helped.

She was drawn from those thoughts as Nal asked another question. A worthwhile one, at that. Could she be spared from the farm? She laughed lightly. "Well, that is why I wanted to talk to them first, before I committed to this thing." She pointed out. "I think it will work out... Captain Alarion mentioned coming for three to four hours on most days. She spoke as if the times were flexible. So I figure -and I'll tell them this- I can do the milking each morning like usual, and then go up to the houses of healing for a few hours of training, and then come back to help with things in the afternoon. I'd have to do that on the days when I don't have to deliver stuff, because that takes forever." She paused. "I won't have as much free time, of course, for practicing other things, but I don't think it be too much of a problem. I'll still have lots of time afterward, before the evening milking and all that." She laughed slightly at the thought of Kaylin fighting her off from practicing bandages, but shook her head. She wouldn't try to mess with Kaylin's bandages, unless a healer asked her to do it, and even then she'd feel pretty nervous about getting it right.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Rillewen

Arnyn

She grinned in return at his little jest and took a step back and turned half to Duinion, half to the target. Her arms crossed behind her back as she watched him. She had learned much about him through their conversation this day, but this was all new to her. His draw and release was quick. He probably used instinctive archery by now, like she did, instead of really having to take his time to focus on the aim. The experience of years and years, shown in his swift movements.

Arnyn watched as he started shooting what seemed like a ring around the very center of the target. She raised an eyebrow, her face otherwise neutral. He was good. In fact, he was excellent. When he completed his circle, a slow grin spread across her face and her dark eyes were gleaming. "Aye, my turn!" she said, not commenting on his performance verbally. "Just a moment," she requested when he offered her the bow. She first returned a ways to his shelter, picking a second selection of arrows from the ground. Once she had the same number as before, she returned to the log and balanced the arrows on it, next to Duinion, before accepting the bow from his hands.

"You are kind to offer your arm protector, but that is quite alright." While she appreciated arm protection in the field, when conditions were less than ideal and you could not always shoot whilst avoiding the backlash of the bowstring, and she used it also when spending a longer time at the archery range, for a few shots like they were planning now, it was not necessary. Her own skills were advanced enough to use a form here that would not cause the string to whip against her forearm, and since the warmth of the day had caused her to select a sleeveless top, there were also no loose sleeves to tie back.

Arnyn took one of the arrows, stretched her neck, nocked the arrow and tested the draw first. It felt similar to her own bow. Perhaps just slightly heavier? She slowly eased the tension on the bowstring again whilest lowering the bow, still holding the arrow. Alright then.
Her dark eyes sought out the target, and they remained fixed on the target as she took her stance and drew the bowstring and arrow back again. Her shots were instinctive, numerous distances and heights committed to muscle memory after doing this for as long as she had. Therefore, like Duinion, she released her arrows swiftly. Arnyn aimed for a circle around Duinion's arrows, and ended with the last arrow inside of his circle. Her arrows were not all spaced evenly apart, but the circle was clear. The Lieutenant sighed, although it would be hard to tell for the ranger with her whether it was a sigh of contentment or otherwise.

"You know what," she said pensively, still looking at the target. "Next time, we'll hold a little competition." She smiled as she turned to him. "What do you say?"

Kaylin

She noticed Eryn's disappointment at having to wait to learn about trapping. Kaylin smiled, approached her friend and put a hand on her arm. "Don't focus on the negatives, Eryn," she said, positivity coloring her tone of voice. "Think of what you have already learned! You are a good shot, for example. Even under pressure. Yes?" Kaylin winked. "Do you even know how valuable that is already? Because I do. Life saving skills." Her face grew serious. "Thank you for that, by the way. If I haven't put exact words to it before."

After a short pause, Kaylin shrugged one shoulder. "And you are learning about healing and everything. You have been for months now. You probably already know more than I do. And now the prospect of learning about traps. By the time you're of an age where your father lets you enlist, they'd be foolish not to accept you." Her smile had grown into a grin. "Aye?"
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength