The Hall of Barad-dûr: Mordor OOC II

"Going to Mordor!" Cried Pippin. "I hope it won’t come to that!"
Istari Sage
Westron or the Common Tongue is (or at least is derived from) Adûnaic and it’s clarified in the appendix that the original exiles spoke sindarin but switch to the common tongue.

“The Westron was a Mannish speech, though enriched and softened under Elvish influence. […] Most of the Elf-friends, therefore, departed and dwelt in Númenor […] These we’re the Númenoreans, the Kings of Men, whom the Elves called the Dúnedain. The Dúnedain alone of all races of Men knew and spoke an Elvish tongue, for their forefathers had learned the Sindarin tongue, […] But the native speech of the Númenoreans remained for the most part their ancestral Manish tongue, the Adûnaic, and to this in the latter days of their pride their kings and lords returned, abandoning the Elven-speech, save only those few that held still to their ancient friendship with the Eldar. […] Adúnaic was spoken, and mingled with many words of the languages of lesser men it became a Common Speech that spread thence along the coasts among all that had dealings with Westernesse [Númenor]. After the Downfall of Númenor, Elendil led the survivors of the Elf-friends back to the North-western shores of Middle-earth. There many already dwelt who were in whole or part of Númenorean blood; but few of them remembered the Elvish speech. […] They used therefore the Common Speech in their dealing with other folk and in the government of their wide realms […] In the days of the Númenorean kings this ennobled Westron speech spread far and wide, even among their enemies; and it became used more and more by the Dúnedain themselves, so that at the time of the War of the Ring the Elven-tongue was known only to a small part of the peoples of Gondor, and spoken daily by fewer.” (RotK, Appendix F)

Master Torturer
Lore and Language lessons in Mordor.. who would have thunk :P

Newborn of Imladris
You can thank me for that. Prego.
“There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south,”.

Master Torturer
Well, yes, but you are taking lessons from minions, IN Mordor. So they are smart ;)

Balrog
Aranadhel wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:36 pm Funny how you mentioned the BC saw the Faithful because they followed the culture and language of the Elves when the forefather of Numenor is Elros Tar Minyatur and as you can tell the names of the Kings and Queens of Numenor is in fact Quenyan.

How do you know the Exiles of Numenor in Arda don't speak in Adunaic when Aragorn himself was taught in al 3
Not gonna lie, I have no idea what you're argument even is anymore and I'm over trying to figure it out and try to engage beyond this final note.

1) when I say Númenórean I am, in fact, not saying those of the Second Age. I've said this many times and you've either glossed over it or completely ignored it. I'm talking about the Númenóreans of the late Third Age, those you call the Black Númenóreans. Please understand that before I move onto point 2.
2) What does Elros have to do with any of this? He was from an Elven line, but he wasn't an elf, he chose mortality and used Quenya. The King's Men weren't around during his time so bringing him up in this is utterly useless.
3) I didn't say Gondorians never used Adunaic. I said predominantly used other languages. I will say it again because you either didn't read it or decided to ignore it to make your point. PREDOMINANTLY. I know that Adunaic was still used in places like Dol Amroth at least among the upper classes. However, as Rome pointed out, Westron became linga franca after the Downfall. Don't twist around my words or put words in my mouth so you can try and argue your point, whatever the flying hell your point actually is.
4) Aragorn (a Sindarin name), aka Elessar (Quenya), aka Strider (Westron), aka Thorongil (Sindarin), founder of the House of Telcontar (Quenya) might have known Adunaic, but I can't recall where in the books he uses it at all to give anything you say credence that he learned it.
5) I've stated a few times, and will state again because you don't seem to get it, this is my own personal interpretation and headcanon. I don't give two shakes of a bear's ass if you agree with it or not. I'm not trying to convince you that my own thoughts are correct. I don't need to. You have your own thoughts and that's fine, they're correct to you and I'm happy for you.
6) I don't like the term Black Númenórean (and thus the characters I use don't either) because "black" implies evil and thus bad and wrong, and anyone who could call themself a "Wrong Númenórean" has some psychological issues. Again this is MY interpretation and if you don't follow it, that's fine. I'm not going to argue it anymore
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Newborn of Imladris
Well you're the one who went gung ho in the first place and I don't care about your opinion.
“There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south,”.

Master Torturer
Ok, let's end it there.

Balrog
:rofl:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Balrog
Well, here we are. I was going to write a lovely, poignant post with Jorgy at the center to usher in the 5k era, but I think he deserves better than being a gimmick to push me over the line. Jorgy is the idealized version of me that I want to let out so badly. I want to see the world the way he does, a world of color and possibility. He has such a way about him, something I've come to call "magical empathy" that gives him the ability to see things as they ought to be. It allows him to see the best in people, to talk animals and trees and storms, it allows him to defend his friends with the fierceness of a mama bear and care for them as a puppy. There will be many, many Jorgy stories to come, but in the end, I think he would appreciated not having a spotlight shine too brightly on him, I think we can all agree that he deserves that. We'll just have to leave my final pre-5k RP post to Fleeg which, sigh, is rather fitting. Though will no one rid me of this troublesome goblin?

Instead, I'll write out a simple thank you to all of you that have been with me on this journey. While at heart I am a cantankerous, abrasive, mean, adversarial hermit, I have come to find a home here, amongst the eaves of Lothlórien, the ashes of Mordor, the breakfast tables of the shire, and the hammers of Khazad-dûm. Thank you all for letting me run wild and free here long enough to reach this milestone. You've either written with me, tolerated me, or read me long enough to make me feel like I'm not as terrible a writer as I know I am (no, nothing any of you say will make me think otherwise). Thank you. I hope there will be many more stories to come.

It's an arbitrary line in the sand, but it's a line I was never able to cross in the days of the old Plaza, regardless of how long I'd been hanging about (early 2002 if anyone wants to know). I will admit a giddiness when I realized just how close I was coming to this barrier and there is a certain sense of pride that I've reached this point. Before I came around to the NuPlaza I was focused solely on writing horror and expanding my horizons that way, but being back on the Plaza helped me find my fantasy bones again. I've stretched them, worked them, and now I'm confident enough to say, I like write fantasy. It took me 2 years and nearly 3000 posts to get here, but I'm here nonetheless and I feel like I'm headed down a good path.

I don't know what lies ahead of this line for me. More Jorgy adventures surely, more of Frost and his many, many dóttirs of course, Finnbarr, Numey, Yoshiyo, Eldûrien, Fleeg (sigh), Sarghêst, and all the rest will all be there. There are too many stories to tell, too many adventures to have. They'll take me (and hopefully a few of you) to some strange and wonderful places. I hope they make us laugh, cry, rage, and smile. To quote one of my favorite songs, "My Wall" by Sunn0)))) "Look to the farthest far horizon."

Now I get to be a balrog and run around with a shadow "like two vast wings" and no one can stop me!

Istari Sage
Congratulations @Frost ! It’s been fun writing with you even though it’s only been a short time. I’m glad to be here for this milestone arbitrary or not. :headbang:

Master Torturer
Grats Frost! Well done! :D I have massively enjoyed your stories, as you know :heart: Please keep them coming! Oh btw, have you seen my muse anywhere? I think she wandered off..

Black Númenórean
Well done Frost, and I can't wait to read (and be part of some) all the stories still to come! :grin: :dance: :smooch:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Balrog
More stories (and more madness) to come, I promise!

New Soul
Sorry I'm a bit late but congrats on reaching 5k @Frost 💜 That's a tremendous amount of brilliant posts, heaps of hard work and massive levels of creativity! As always, looking forward to more of your work.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

New Soul
Well it's been far too long since I last got a response for me to continue training as Mauren, so now it looks like I'll have to think of something else to do with him...

Master Torturer
@Troygan Who are you waiting on?

New Soul
@Winddancer Ancalagon

New Soul
Troy: Would you want perhaps an RP with me? I am almost daily online. I have a few orc characters in stock. Or could create a new one? Or I have an intelligent Uruk, personating humans. What would you say?
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

New Soul
@Aikári Salmarinian I'm open to just about anything

New Soul
Troy: Anything, wow :grin: Would you like to look for something adventurous? Or just sit in a pub? There is the Shipwreck Inn, the Black Market, Mordor itself to explore, or the lands of Rhun? Minas Morgul? Angmar? What kind of excitement are you waiting for? Then I have a little bit of an idea what you would enjoy. I am not really well at home in Mordor. But I got an interesting Uruk with his own mind, Utchuk is his name and he comes from icy wilds up north as a child.

Because you posted in Mordor OOC, I suspect you want to have an RP evilly related.

New Soul
@Aikári Salmarinian Let's start with Minas Morgul. That's Mauren's main base of operation.

New Soul
Troy: Sure, would you like to start as seems you know your way around there? I never roleplayed at Minas Morgul. So it is new ground for me. There is a thread of that place in this forum. I'll join in as soon I can.

New Soul
@Aikári Salmarinian Sure, Mauren can show your character around the place

New Soul
Troy: Very well. Tour should be fun. Let's start then!

Orc
Hey @Metatron Omega! Thanks for coming to the Pakon :D. Sorry for the delay, I'll be around tomorrow.
Proprietor of Pakon Stazim
He/him

Balrog
No need to apologize @Lokktar! I think Art needed an extra post to get his feet underneath him. He's not really used to doing, well, much of anything yet.

Balrog
@Troygan Re: your request in the Minion Biography thread, what do you mean by brief you on the characters in Angmar? Are you looking for biographies of specific people? specific backgrounds? Is there a particular character or group of characters you want to interact with? Why not just take the time to read through the thread and learn about the characters as they are being formed and created?

Orc
Never thought the Haradrim thread would get so popular when I created that thread around a year ago. 2 pages now! :) Thanks to everyone who has and is RPing in there!

Balrog
So you are the same "Black Serpent" as the person that created the thread? Why then, do you have two accounts? That's not something allowed in the rules

Orc
Yes, I'm the same one.
Because I couldn't remember the password and email to that account, and the admins couldn't retrieve it either. So I made a new one. @Laurence

Balrog
If the admin know and have allowed it, then I withdraw my objections. Carry on

Arien
Arien
Can confirm it was due to previous account issues! We’ve had a good look at it but not able to solve it (at least up until now).
cave anserem

Orc
eh its all fine. Better to start new.

High Warden of Tower
@Black Serpent That Harad thread certainly came in handy. :grin:

Crafts Master
Hello all, it seems also here there are many new faces around. Welcome to all, I hope to meet you all soon here and there. My best greetings

Black Númenórean
Welcome back @Borromino ! Good to see ya! :grin:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Crafts Master
@Moriel....thanks a lot. Appreciated !!! You alla are still young. Ahahaahh

New Soul
Frost: I am moving to out here for our evilish plans with your Orc family. So a mom, a dad, a son and couple of daughters. Fight on a tower against ghosts. Possible marriages for the daughters, but all have their own ideas.... Nice cocktail together. Magical realism. Is that not really large parts of the Tolkien universe, where Vala/Maia and elf powers are involved. Sauron and his Uruks did have their twisted version of it.

I'll think of some other orc families. Same ranking or lower? Some Haradhrim too? For the effect of slaves? :tongue:

Balrog
I think this all sounds great Aiks! I will leave it up to you to decide the ins and outs of your orc family, but I think if they were somewhere in the same strata of ranking that would be best, perhaps in the lower levels of the upper class? Haradrim sound good too, I would never say no to a multi-cultural or multi-ethnic grouping!

As far as writing goes, I will try to have something up this week. Work has calmed down a little but my husky pup is as time consuming as ever. If I need a bit more time, I will let you know.

New Soul
Frost: I'll think it out for my orcs and harads. Shall we call this RP: "Ghosts of Mordorian plains"? It creates some expectations and inspiration...

Sure, I'll see yours.

Balrog
Aik, I think that's a decent title. I think it could be a little more fanciful. What about "The House of Sulphur Spirits"?

New Soul
Frost: Sounds cool and deadly. Or in a multiple form... "The Houses of Sulphur spirits". Or do you image just a single House all the ghosts belong to?

Balrog
In my imagination, I think it's simpler to go with the singular, since the major POVs (if you will) are all focused on one House, both physically and politically.

New Soul
Frost: No, I don't mind at all! Was just a question of me. House of Sulphur Spirits it is then. :winkkiss:

Arien
Arien
In usual chaotic fashion, I will wait for you to set the scene and then spontaneously write something - unless you’d like more planning beforehand? I am willing either way!
cave anserem

Balrog
There will be no planning, no devising, no outlining. If this story is not told in the most chaotic, incoherently unconnected, bass-ackwards way possible I will be dissapointed.

New Soul
Silky: If you like to do a bit of planning with me, it's okay if you feel more comfortable with it?

Frost: Sure, I can write spontaneously, no problem. :lol:

I'll try to write something tomorrow morning after showering with a bucket warm water. :googly:

Balrog
Andale pues!

Arien
Arien
I shall embrace the chaos and await you both
cave anserem

New Soul
Frost: Nice post! I am working on my one myself in the meanwhile. *Climbs in the pen* :rage: I got a ghost.

Silky: Sure! I'll have mine soon up. :rofl: :rasp: