Ered Nimrais - The White Mountains (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Ranger Tirdinen Duinion Raedor
Arriving home, at last
(sometime in March)

"Of course it is," He answered quietly. Instead of them going toward the house, he indicated another direction, the last place he'd had his camp before they set out on this adventure. While there was nothing there at the moment, since he'd brought along everything he'd need, and left everything else in the house, he knew the location was good and there would still be a ring of stones for a fire. It wouldn't take much before they could set up a quick camp, as they had been doing for several days now. "As I said, only a campsite," He spoke softly as they neared it. "but it's better than going all the way up to the city, late as it is." He shrugged one shoulder as they arrived.

The spot was situated where he could see the house while keeping an eye on the cows in their pasture, which was the purpose for his having camped here, before. Now, it was convenient for him because it was distant enough from the house that they shouldn't disturb any of the occupants of the house, this late at night.

Soon their bedrolls were laid out, a small fire burned, to keep them from getting too cold in the cool spring night. They ate a small supper, from what was left of their supplies, and laid down to sleep. Duinion figured Romeran was so tired out, he would probably fall asleep right away, but Duinion's ankle was in a lot of pain and his mind was racing as he tried to think how to handle this. Now that he was home, he knew there would be questions, and people.. particularly Eryn.. would likely expect him to go to see a healer about his ankle. And he knew it should really be done, but.. he didn't want to face the possibility that it might be really, really bad.

|
Duinion & Eryn Raedor

When morning came, Duinion found that he had lightly begun to doze, when he was wakened by the sound of soft steps approaching. Opening his tired eyes, he smiled to see Eryn, trying to sneak closer. Romeran looked to be still asleep, probably from being so worn out. "You know that's dangerous," He mumbled sleepily, before Eryn grinned and came closer after seeing he was awake. "Shh," He nodded toward Rome. "Let him sleep." He whispered softly. He didn't attempt to sit up, knowing that he would likely wince from the lingering rib pain. "We're both very tired." He added in explanation.

"I missed you, Daddy." She whispered, sitting near him. "You were gone much longer than you said.. I was getting worried."

"I know." He smiled softly and took her hand. "Sorry. We had a little.. trouble, up in the mountains, but everything's fine now. I'm home now." He assured her. "When Rome wakes, would you go along with him up to the sixth, and see that the healers get the herbs we gathered?" He asked quietly. "He'll probably want to report back to the captain as soon as possible.. she's likely beginning to wonder where we're at, by now."

Eryn nodded slightly. "Yeah, sure." She knew he didn't like going into the city any more than he really had to, so it didn't seem like that odd of a request from him.

"And.. would you ask one of the healers for something to numb pain from a sprained ankle, while you're there? "

"What?" She frowned in concern. "What happened?"

"It's alright," He put a finger to his lips, reminding her to be quiet. "It's fine, just.. ask for me, would you?"

"Sure." She answered slowly, with a little frown. "Shouldn't you come see a healer though?"

"No, I'm not going all that way just to have them tell me to stay off of it and put some sort of salve on it." He rolled his eyes. "That would sort of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?"

"True..." She relented, though hesitated. "Well. I'll go back to the house and fix you both a plate of breakfast." She decided, smiling slightly. "I'm so glad you're back, Dad." She leaned down and gave him a little hug before hurrying off to the house.

Duinion smiled slightly as he watched her go, but let out a soft sigh. Hopefully, she wouldn't press the issue about the ankle. Though, he knew that she most likely would.
Eventually, after Eryn had returned with two plates of breakfast, and the two rangers had eaten, Duinion pointed out to Eryn where the package of herbs was, and explained to Romeran that he would have Eryn deliver it to the healers. Rome could choose for himself whether he would go with her, or if he would report back to HQ. He rather suspected that they were overdue for that, and did not want Rome to get into any trouble. By midmorning, the two were setting off for the city.

As Eryn set off with Rome, she insisted on carrying the pack with the herbs, and once they were a safe distance from her dad's hearing, she loosed the multitude of questions she had accumulated by now, in hopes of learning more about what happened from Romeran than what her dad was willing to tell her. She wanted to know how the trip went, whether anything exciting happened, how hard it was to find the plants, how bad her dad's ankle was hurt, how it got hurt, whether Rome got hurt at all, and so on and so forth... all the way from the Pelennor up to the point when they parted ways, whether that was at the hosues of healing, or the ranger buildings; whichever Rome chose to do. Eryn had her own mission to accomplish at the houses of healing, so that was where she went, whether Rome stayed with her or not.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Lady Gaerlothriel of House Dimaethor,
Ossarnen, north of Calembel, Lamedon, hiding out in a barn.
Year 3020 of the Third Age

Laughing. He was laughing. At her! Yes, she may have laughed first, but because she thought she had the element of surprise and was on the verge of prevailing. But Trastion proved a more difficult and slippery foe, as he simply fell back and rolled over, cradling the basket in his embrace like it was a baby trying to be stolen from him. No, that wasn’t fair at all. She found herself presented with his curled up form, his back to him, while she tried to each around either side under his torso and chest, to find purchase on the basket and pull it.

But…he…kept…on wriggling! He would never surrender! ”Shush, give it to me! Gimme!” She snapped, though she was also wearing a broad grin, the tone of which was visible in her demanding words, taking much of the authority out of her commands. When his guard proved too strong, she tried another tactic, rearing back and targeting under his shoulders, hoping he would be ticklish enough to lose his focus and try to defend himself instead of the basket. That’s what she would have done.

”You’ll know what surrender is when I make you eat that sandwich…!” Gaerlothriel threatened as she ribbed her fingers into his sides, trying to find a ticklish place. What else could work? Shoving? Pinching? Knuckling? The fox mother and her cubs were peering at them intently, wondering what these two giants were up to. Then, Gaerlothriel had a very cruel and wicked idea. ”Shhh! Someone’s coming…!” She suddenly exclaimed, a complete lie, hoping he would pick up his protector instincts again to focus on that possibility. Then she would grab at the side of the basket and make a dedicated, determined effort to pull it out from under Trastion.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen

Trastion
North of Calembel, Lamedon, Ossarnen
April of the year 3020 of the Third Age

Trastion definitely would never have expected such behavior from a young lady. And that made her seem so much more.. fun than any ladies he would have ever expected to meet. Someone he could think of as a friend, perhaps? He laughed as she tried to threaten him. There was no malice in her tone, only laughter. Her demand to give it to her made him grin even harder. "Never!" He declared again in a playful sort of tone, then was surprised when she tried to tickle him. He didn't actually feel all that ticklish, but couldn't help being amused at her tactics and effort.

"Nooo! I will not succumb to your torture!" He declared with dramatized bravery as he squirmed to try and get away from her jabbing fingers. Not particularly because it was tickling him, but more because it wasn't very comfortable to have fingers poking into his ribs. Through it all, he clutched the basket as if it contained something of great value, as if he'd been charged with defending it with his life. Although, he was half-debating whether to give it to her and let her feel somewhat successful, since she was going to all this effort to it.

When she suddenly went quiet with alarm that someone was coming, Trastion went still, his head turning hastily toward the ladder as he listened. He felt alarmed, realizing they had gotten a bit noisy with this play-fight. It hit him suddenly that he hadn't done anything of this sort with anyone since his brother died. In fact, he couldn't think of doing anything fun that ended in so much laughter, in the past year since that tragedy. And the past couple of weeks, he had been so frightened about what his stepfather had planned, that he hadn't dared to think of fun at all. While it had been nice to briefly forget the fear and sorrow, he wasn't sure it had been a good idea. Not with those poachers still around...

As Nim declared that someone was coming, all that came rushing back to him. He listened, letting his grip on the basket relax while he tried to hear whatever she had heard that let her hear someone approaching. He didn't hear anything, however, and found his gaze swiftly scanning the loft to find where he had put his bow and the single arrow he had, just in case he needed it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

She had a few precious seconds to catch her breath and gather her strength, as her little decoy worked. Maybe it was work to cry wolf like this, knowing there could be a very real and urgent danger that could spring upon them. But Gaerlothriel decided…there was no way she was going to lose at this. She leaned back on her haunches, watching Trastion as he stretched his senses to inspect their surroundings. It was getting dark. Gaerlothriel’s curfew was fast approaching. She never had a reason to break it before. And now seeing the reason why she would be breaking it, maybe she understood too a little, why her parents even put a curfew on her.

Because of this. But enduring this, she couldn’t seem to fathom why it could be such a bad thing. It was so fun. And exciting. They saved foxes from the ruinous clutches of poachers. They trekked through woods. Found a hideout and lair. Nursed the mother fox to life. What was so bad about this? She wished they had more time. But they didn’t.

Trastion looked to where he had put his bow and single arrow down and…now! Gaerlothriel suddenly pounced at his side as his gaze was turned the other way, both hands finding purchase on the side of the basket and with one good tug, she yanked it out from under him before he knew what was happening. She clutched it to her own chest, half turning her body away to give her more of a protective shield if he came back for retribution. To any response he gave, she just stuck out his tongue at him and grinned triumphantly.

”Sorry, that must have been your mind I heard leaving and coming back.” She declared with a wide grin. ”I got you. Now, you’re going to eat, and you’re going to eat good. I will not suffer any protest on this. She even added in Sindarin, as if it might give her more weight and authority over the larger man she was with. She gave him some scrutinizing side-eye, before she turned to the basket and opened it up again, ready to prepare the last sandwich possible from the remaining ingredients.

”Surrender has never tasted so delicious.” She teased him further, working slow to prepare the sandwich, as she had to keep an eye out for any counter-assault from him too. And the fox cubs looked at them strangely, wondering what all their ruckus was about. They seemed to have eaten their fill, bits of fruit and vegetables that they were no longer interested in strewn about still. It was just their savior that needed to eat. Because who knew when his next good meal might come from. Gaerlothriel didn’t think this was the end, but what did she know? After a moment, the last sandwich was presented to Trastion, his price of failure ironically. She looked at him, eyes full of continued mirth, and still a little flushed from their wrestling, her shoulders and chest rising and falling as she still tried to catch her breath.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen

Trastion

Before he realized what she was up to, the basket had been wrested from his loosened grasp. Trastion stared at her in surprise as she took advantage of the approaching... nothing. Apparently, it was all a trick she had employed to pull this off. Well... at least there was nothing to be alarmed at.. presently. But he was still on edge, now that she had reminded him that he needed to be.

Still, he managed a smile and put his hands up in 'surrender'. "Well, I suppose you win, and I am now at your mercy." He told her with a little laugh, shaking his head in amusement as he admitted defeat. He had been tricked, and there was no denying it. Of course, it was easier for her to play around and make light of the danger. She could just go home to wherever she lived, and forget that there were scary men out there, shooting at them.

Even as he smiled and sat up to accept the sandwich that she pushed at him, Trastion felt his heart sinking at the recollection that there were more than poachers out there who meant him harm. But he kept the smile on his face, so not to let on what was going on inside. "Well, you can't say that I didn't try to be chivalrous." He pointed out with a little laugh, while leaning his back against a bale of hay behind him. He didn't take a bite of the sandwich right away, however, and looked at it in his lap for a moment while he caught his breath, too.

Things had calmed down now. The brief 'fight' had been fun, but now he felt solemnity pressing in around him. Trastion felt, somehow, that she was about to have to leave. And he found that he didn't want her to go without knowing something.. even if that made her angry and not want to return. Still, he liked to think he had made a friend today, and therefore, hopefully, she would be forgiving. He looked up after a moment of hard thinking. "Nimrodel," He began, a little reluctantly. "I.. ought to confess something." He felt his face flush slightly as he suddenly worried that it would be a mistake to tell her this. He lifted the sandwich up slightly. "You were right. I was really hungry." He admitted, a little awkwardly. "In fact... well, when I first met you this morning, and you asked me about why I had my bow out?" He fidgeted a little bit while looking at her, watching to see how she might react to what he would tell her.

He took a deep breath. "Truth is, I didn't realize that I was on land owned by anyone in particular, and.. well, I hadn't eaten anything all day, and hardly anything the day before that... And I had thought I might try and hunt a rabbit or something." He explained quietly. "But, when you told me where I was, I realized that was a bad idea, so I was really glad I hadn't already shot anything." He hastened to add. "But, then I wasn't sure what to do about food." he shrugged slightly, then smiled, tentatively. "So. Thank you. I really appreciate your kindness in bringing me this."

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

Seeing the serious look linger on Trastion’s expression, Gaerlothriel felt an immediate pang of regret at having cried wolf like that. It was unfair of her to be so devious just to win a simple game of tug-and-pull. She prepared him the sandwich, ignoring the whines of her own stomach, not having eaten much since lunch almost nine, ten hours ago. She had a few morsels here but she figured it would be no consequence at all to wait another hour for her own fare. There were more hungry mouths to feed and it was the right thing to do, coming from a position of privilege.

Just as Trastion began to mention just how unlucky he was. While he ate and got comfortable, Gaerlothriel took a moment to check on the foxes. The mama fox was curled up, using the lull to rest and try to let her body mend, while the cubs meandered about, exploring or playful. These, she pet and caressed upon their heads, almost forgetting who she was supposed to be pretending to be when Trastion called her out by her alias. Right, I am Nimrodel. She looked up, attentively, when he expressed he had a confession, about his misfortune. He really was chivalrous, for despite being so needy, he too tried to look to the needs and desires of others first, before his own. The foxes, Gaerlothriel, with himself last in his priorities.

She listened, and didn’t say a word, scooping one fox cub to put in her lap and pet as she explained a little about who he was and why he was here. He thanked her for the meal and seemed appreciatively she had looked out for him, to which she smiled. ”Trastion…” she said at first, feeling a blush in her cheeks as he praised her kindness. ”I…well, you’re welcome. You really are chivalrous. I knew something was off about you but I’m glad it was simply you trying to look out for me, and the foxes, and not let your needs get ahead of you. You deserve the food, all of it, truthfully. I’m happy to give it away to you.” She confessed back to him.

And then putting the fox aside, she crawled over to him and got on her knees beside him, where she…wound her arms around his neck and upper shoulders and gave him a brief hug. Poor soul, alone and hungry out here. Gaerlothriel would have done so much worse and given in to despair long ago. But here he was, so brave and chivalrous, despite his circumstances. She drew back after hugging for a few heartbeats, smiling apologetically.

”Sorry,” she smiled sheepishly and half turned away, a hand coming up to adjust some strands that fell in front of her face, tucking them behind her ears, ”if you like to stay here, tomorrow I can bring you an even bigger basket. And some other supplies. Maybe…” she turned back towards him, a little excitement in her eyes now, ”maybe you can stay here longer? I can ask my brother, maybe find you some work. Ever since the War, there’s been a need for able bodied men and you look tough. I mean, you are tough. It could be good for you, help you find your footing some more.” Gaerlothriel suggested to him, speaking a little rapidly as she laid out her plans. Her brother she obviously meant was her brother-in-law, the petty-lord of the fief of Ossarnen. And if Trastion stayed, they could visit one another again!
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen

Trastion

When the girl mentioned him being chivalrous, Trastion was mildly surprised to hear what she said, and also, mildly concerned to hear that she'd thought something was 'off' about him. He felt a bit guilty that he couldn't tell her any more truth than this, and he dropped his head down slightly. "Thank you." He answered quietly, in reply to her statement that she was happy to give away the food.

When she came up beside him, he definitely was not expecting the hug. He fought the tightness in his throat, while feeling somewhat at a loss for what to do in this situation. When his sister hugged him, it was one thing. Linn was his baby sister, and he had no problem hugging her back. But this was a girl he hardly knew, and while he felt that they had become friends during their crazy adventure, he could practically hear his mother, tutors, and everyone else who had any part of raising him.. telling him how very inappropriate it would be to hug a young woman that was not his betrothed, or even her, if no one was there to chaperone and all that. He could imagine the looks of disapproval and the worry of scandal on all those faces, and tried his hardest not to find amusement in that.

The hug ended after only a few seconds, but it stayed with him for a very long time after. He smiled faintly, though with some lingering uncertainty in his eyes as to what he ought to have done. He felt that somehow, he hadn't really reacted like he probably ought to have. He cleared his throat quietly. "Th-thanks," He answered, trying not to sound awkward as he replied to her offer to bring more supplies. "That's very kind of you, but I don't want to impose on your own family," He added with a little frown.

At the mention of work, he was reminded that that was actually what he had come out this way for. To find work. "Oh, I'll find some sort of job, don't worry about that." He smiled as reassuringly as he could. "I don't want to bother your brother or anything. And, besides.." he hesitated, then shrugged. "Well, I don't know who he is or if he's got any sort of influence with the folks who do the hiring at the sort of jobs you're talking about, but.. to be honest, I don't want that." He informed her, before realizing maybe that didn't quite make sense. "What I mean is.. if I'm going to get a job, I want to get it because I earned the job, not because someone pulled some strings to get me the job.. if that makes sense..?" He fidgeted slightly, unsure how else to explain it without potentially revealing more than he'd like to say.

Sitting so he was cross-legged, Trastion leaned forward a little, smiling slightly at her. "I do appreciate the thought, though. And all that you've done. I.. haven't had many friends in my life, but I'd like to think that I can count you as one of them." He mentioned tentatively. "You probably need to get home pretty soon, don't you? I wouldn't want to be the cause for you getting in any trouble." He looked slightly concerned about that, but then, he wasn't sure what her family might be like as far as expecting her home by a certain time. It seemed she had a lot of freedom to roam the woods as much as she liked, but then again, maybe she was going to get scolded for that when she returned home. "And, don't worry, I'll make sure the foxes are safe through the night." He added with a little smile.

Captain of Tower
@Rillewen

It was very moving, for Trastion, to have received that hug. It made her want to embrace him again, he looked so…poorly and touched by it. Poor guy, to have been alone all this time, without anyone to help, without any means to support himself, save by what he could make and do with his own hands. There was the deep urge to confess all to Trastion, about who Gaerlothriel really was, who her brother-in-law was, who their families were and the influence and rank they held. She could make everything right, with effort almost akin to the wave of a hand. But…Trastion was too honest for that. Too honourable. Too chivalrous.

She didn’t say anything. Not to interrupt or interject. No attempts to reason or convince him otherwise. She sat there, on her knees, hands folded in her lap, just observing and listening attentively. He spoke so affluently, from the heart, and she was impressed by his integrity. She could give him so much and yet he wanted to earn it. Her eyes slowly lit up with appreciation for his honest desires.

When he named her as one of his friends, she beamed even more widely, flashing her pretty white teeth at him. ”Yes, of course I’m your friend, Trastion. Always, after today.” She assented to his wishes, her hand touching and hovering over her heart a moment. So why didn’t she tell him her real name then? He mentioned she had to be home soon though, as it was pretty dark out, and that killed her smile almost instantly. She didn’t want to leave, just yet. But she had to. She needed to. Otherwise, it would be more difficult to return. This was one of those delayed gratification things, where good things came to those who waited. She could wait…ten, twelve hours, to see him again, right? They would see one another again, right?

”You’ll take care of them?” She pretended to scrutinize him seriously for a moment, but then shook her head and gave a little laugh. ”Okay, I am going to go. For the night. But I’ll be back. Promise. And,” she leaned forward a moment, to look more pointedly into his face, ”you may want to earn your jobs and your work, but you earned my kindness. And tomorrow I’m going to bring you another delicious meal and you have to enjoy it. I insist. And when a Lady insists, you have to indulge her.” Gaerlothriel said with a grin.

”Be well and safe, Trastion.” She took the basket but left her shawl behind, for the foxes and all. She said her farewells to each in turn, speaking soft words in Sindarin, and caressing their heads once each. She went down the ladder and towards the barn door, which she opened and checked about before looking back into the interior. It was so dark, she could barely make out the loft from down here. ”Goodnight!” She called out, then stepped out, shut the door, and went off into the night.

Despite the falling darkness, the reduced visibility, the dangers that might lurk in the shadows as she walked through town, Gaerlothriel did not feel afraid. In fact, she felt very elated, and couldn’t stop wearing a foolish grin on her lips. In no time she trekked all the way to the great hall of her brother-in-law, Lord Orosser Celevon of Ossarnen, and the new home of her older sister and eldest sibling, Lady Zôrzimril Dimaethor.

Suffice to say, they were not at all pleased at her tardiness and violating her curfew, but Gaerlothriel explained she was, and had been, within the town’s boundaries so it wasn’t as if she was entirely unsafe. Because the locals would see to her safety, like they would anyone else’s, right? Her counter-arguments seemed to work for a time and she managed to enjoy a late fare for her own dinner, before retiring for the night. She couldn’t wait to go back and check on her adopted cubs. All five of them. Surely nothing could go wrong through the night, or at dawn.
Berio i refn-en-alph len

Steward of Gondor
@Lantaelen

Trastion

He grinned back at her when she agreed that they were friends. Not just friends, but friends always. A lasting friendship was certainly not what he had expected to find when he fled from his home, but it was definitely much better than what he had expected.

It was evident by the way her smile dropped away, that she was as disappointed to have to go home as he felt to have to be left alone again. While it was nice, at times, to find some solitude and sit by himself in the woods and enjoy nature, it was always different before, when he could just go home whenever he started missing other people. Now, having left home, he couldn't just go back whenever. He didn't know if he'd ever be able to go back. And.. then there was the gaping hole in his life, where his brother used to be. The one constant friend he'd had all of his life, gone forever.

The thought that Trastion had found a friend again was comforting. And, as she declared that he had 'earned' her kindness toward him, and that he'd better accept it, he couldn't help grinning wider. "Alright, alright, you win." he laughed, then smiled as he watched her climb down the ladder. "Good night, Nim." He called down softly, waving from the top of the ladder. "See you tomorrow."

After she had gone, he glanced around, sighing softly. It definitely felt much quieter now. He got up and moved some hay, bound into tight cubes, so that they formed a sort of wall around the edge of the loft. They were just about the right height for a human to use the bales as a seat, or to easily climb over them. But the fox cubs would not be able to get over them without a great deal of effort. He figured that ought to keep them safe enough during the night.

That done, Trastion laid down to sleep with a properly full stomach for the first time.. since he left home a couple weeks ago. He slept soundly for the first time since then, as well. Perhaps, if everything worked out, he might be able to stay here and get a job, build a new life...

Trastion slept so well, it was late morning by the time he woke. As he did, he found that the fox cubs were climbing over him and playing; otherwise, he might have slept later still. He smiled sleepily and sat up. His first reaction was to reach for his pack, to get something out of it. Then he remembered.. his pack wasn't here. He frowned as he recalled this, and it troubled him. He rubbed his eyes, then gently moved the cubs to another location and sat cross-legged on the floor, thinking.

He really, really didn't like the idea of his pack sitting there under that bank, waiting on the poachers or anyone else to find it. It was his stuff. Everything he owned, now. And much of it had sentimental attachment. He couldn't just leave it. He looked at the foxes. The mother seemed to be doing a little better today, at least. She was watching him with a more alert look in her eyes, and keeping an eye on her cubs. He looked at the wall of hay he had built, and decided that should contain them well enough. But what about Nim?

He frowned. She was supposed to be back, but when? Had she been able to get away? What if she didn't come back until late? Without her along, he figured he might be able to get back to the place where he'd left his pack, and be back before nightfall. He took look around, felt in his pockets. He had nothing to write with.

After a moment's thought, he climbed over the wall of hay and sat at the top of the ladder, using his knife to scratch a rough sketch into the dusty wood, in a good location so that she would see it when she climbed the ladder. The sketch was of the basic shape of a pack. Hopefully, she would be able to figure out what he meant. He didn't want to leave any clearer message permanently scratched into the wood, though.

That done, he set out. It was still fairly early, and it was a nice day. He ought to be able to make good time, moving at a brisk pace through the woods. All he had to do, this time, was go straight to the river and follow its course downstream until he found the right spot. He should be able to recognize it well enough. The whole way, he thought about the foxes, and about Nimrodel. If she arrived while he was gone, at least she could tend to the foxes, right? And if she came after he got back, then that would work out, too. He just didn't want to leave his pack there any longer than necessary. And he figured on being gone only for a few hours, planning to be back before nightfall. But plans have ways of being altered unexpectedly...