Ered Nimrais - The White Mountains (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor

"A black darkness loomed beyond, and in it glinted, here and there, cold, sharp, remote, white as the teeth of ghosts, the peaks of Ered Nimrais, the White Mountains of the realm of Gondor, tipped with everlasting snow."
― The Two Towers, "The Forbidden Pool"

The White Mountains, or Ered Nimrais was a great mountain range that lay between Calenardhon/Rohan in the North, and Gondor in the South. They ran 600 miles (965 kilometers) from Thrihyrne in the north-west to Mindolluin and Amon Tirith in the east. A low spur sprung off south-west, and ended at Ras Morthil.

The mountain range’s notable peaks were, from west to east, Thrihyrne, Starkhorn, Dwimorberg, Írensaga, Halifirien, Calenhad, Min-Rimmon, Erelas, Nardol, Eilenach, Amon Dîn, Mindolluin and Amon Tirith.

At the foot of Thrihyrne was the valley known as Helm's Deep, and the Glittering Caves of Aglarond were underneath its spurs. The three mountains; Starkhorn, Dwimorberg and Irensaga enclosed the valley of Dunharrow, and the Dwimorberg was also the home of the Paths of the Dead. Halifirien, Calenhad, Min-Rimmon, Erelas, Nardol, Eilenach, and Amon Dîn were strategically chosen hilltops on the northern side of the range. They were the Warning beacons of Gondor. There was surely a beacon-row on the south side too.

There were also passes over the White Mountains, and many of the kin of Nimrodel are said to have been lost there. You had best be prepared if you venture into these mountains, or else you may not survive.

Throughout history the White Mountains were inhabited primarily by Men, including the Drúedain, Dunlendings, Rohirrim, and Gondorians; but also at times by Orcs, and in the Fourth Age by Dwarves. You never know who or what you might encounter in these mountains, so take care!

The Drúedain were known to live along the northern edges of the ranger, leaving Púkel-men at Starkhorn and Drúwaith Iaur. They resettled to a forest that would later be named after them: Tawar in-Drúedain.

In the Second Age, the White Mountains were populated by a people related to the Dunlendings who had been servants of Sauron. They swore allegiance to Isildur, but betrayed him and were cursed: they became known as the Oathbreakers. They were called upon by Aragorn to fight in the War of the Ring, and thus fulfilled their vow at last.

The valley on the southern side of the range was under the rule of the King of Gondor, and the lords of Blackroot Vale, Ringló Vale, Tumladen and Lossarnach were loyal fiefs. From T.A. 2510, the northern vales and hills became under the rule of the Rohirrim, mighty horse-lords from the North. They settled in Helm's Deep, Dunharrow and Grimslade, and built their capital Edoras on an outlying hill.

After the Battle of Azanulbizar in T.A. 2799, thousands of orcs fled south and troubled Rohan for two generations. Although the Rohirrim fought them off, some Orcs managed to reach the Mountains; King Walda was killed by an Orc at Dunharrow.

In the early Fourth Age, Gimli, son of Glóin led a colony of Dwarves and settled in the Glittering Caves, of which he had discovered the value during the Battle of the Hornburg.

There was an ancient steep path into the southern foothills of Mindolluin, leading to a high hallow far above the city where only the Kings of Gondor visited. Standing in this spot one could look over a precipice to the towers of the city far below.

Shortly after Aragorn's coronation as Elessar, Gandalf took him by the forgotten path to the high hallow where the newly crowned king could view the vastness of his realm. When he remarked that the White Tree of Gondor in the Court of the Fountain was still withered, Gandalf bade him to turn about. Opposite the precipice was an otherwise barren stony slope upon which one growing thing could be seen, a sapling of the line of Nimloth. Aragorn removed the tree and brought it to the Citadel for planting as a sign of rebirth, and for Arwen to come to Gondor and be his queen.

Mindolluin stands 10,459 feet tall*, towering above the snowline. The High Hallow of Mindolluin is one of the holiest sites in Gondor.

A local legend among the indigenous people of Gondor told of giants making the mountains to keep Men out of their lands by the Sea. One of them, Stiffneck or Tarlang died there and some peaks are his neck and head; the stones he was carrying were known as Cûl Veleg and Cûl Bîn.

This is a Free RP thread. Want to go for a hike in steeper terrain? Seeking flora or fauna found only in the higher altitudes? Or perhaps you're feeling particularly daring and want to climb all the way to the peaks! Whatever your reason for venturing into these mountains, feel free to explore for whatever reasons you like, set in whatever time/year you like, as long as you follow a few simple rules:

• Please state your general location at the top of your post, as this thread encompasses the entire mountain range, which could be anywhere from one end to the other. Likewise feel free to include the year, if appropriate/flashback/ etc
  • Mark your post as ‘Private’ if you do not wish any unplanned interactions from other writers to influence your RP.
  • Be respectful of others, if you feel like your content might be offensive or a trigger to others, please put a warning at the top.
  • Please keep all content within the bounds of the very wide expanse of Tolkien’s fantastic world-building. Ie no drinking cans of Dr Pepper or use of time travel, etc.
  • No Godmoding, be respectful and allow others to write their own characters.
  • Follow all Plaza rules and guidelines as posted here

Credit for most of the content here belongs to the wonderful folks from Tolkiengateway Wiki
*approximately 2,000 ft less than Mt Fuji(12,388) and almost half the height of Mt Kilomanjiro(19,341)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Tirdinen Ranger Duinion Raedor

It had been a while now since he and Rome had gone out to the Ithilien forest for some training. Hopefully, the recruit had been practicing those skills he'd taught him, since then. He looked forward to seeing how much Rome had improved since that short trip into the forest, and had since then been looking for an opportunity for another outing, aside from those he had participated in with a larger group of rangers. Duinion preferred smaller groups..the fewer the better, in fact.

When an opportunity did arise, he sent Eryn, who was already going into the city, with a message to the ranger recruit asking if he'd like to accompany Duinion into the mountains for a few days. Of course, there was the inevitable disagreement between Duinion and his daughter, about why it was too unsafe for her to tag along, and how it wasn't fair and she never got to go anywhere or do anything. He was hearing these arguments more and more frequently, and found that his little girl was far more enjoyable before she hit the teenage years. Hopefully she would grow out of that, and perhaps even come to thank him for his attempts at protecting her. Somehow he doubted that would come anytime soon, but there was always hope.

Having relayed to Romeran when he planned to set out, and where he would wait to meet him, Duinion was waiting at the edge of the woods near the foot of the mountains, his pack containing everything he would need, and hoped that Rome would have packed similarly. As always whenever he ventured out into the woods, he carried his bow, a quiver full of arrows, and his two daggers at his sides, along with a knife at his belt. His old, travel-stained cloak could have been green, brown, or grey, but seemed to be a mix of all three, due to all the fading and staining it had gone through. As he waited, the ranger's hazel eyes watched for his companion's approach, unsure whether Rome would easily spot him, as his clothing helped to make him blend with the forest.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The weeks had gone by as a blur to Romeran. He had kept fastidious notes of all of the lessons he had learned with his instructors and on the trips he had taken with the Rangers thus far. It had been a lot for the new recruit to learn but he was an eager student and had taken to reviewing his notes every night before bed. Although Duinion had recommended that he not go out on overnight trips by himself, Romeran had still gone on day hikes and wandered in the lands within walking distance of the city. He has taken to trying to sneak up on squirrels and birds and the like trying to practice his stealth. The names of the local flora were coming easier to Romeran now that he was trying to identify them when he went out.

When Erynneth came to deliver a message to Romeran he was in the mess area eating. It was smart of her to look there as that was often where he could be found if he was within the ranger barracks area otherwise he was usually out practicing what his mentors had been teaching him. Currently he was tucking into a bowl of porridge and fruit for it was still early and this was only his second breakfast. Romeran was glad to see Erynneth and greeted her warmly. He thanked her for the message and promised that he would come down to the dairy farm to practice archery again. After finishing his meal while he read the letter from Duinion, Romeran went to the kitchen to help clean and then returned to his quarters to pack his things.

Quickly Romeran gathered his camping gear, the same essentials he would bring on most trips including his trusty tarp although he wondered whether they would be constructing shelters again. He decided to bring it anyway. Romeran wore his grey-green wool rangers cloak over a dark brown wool tunic and breeches and his pair of supple leather boots. He also wore the leather ranger bracers in case he would need to use his bow. He did bring his bow, unstrung, and strapped to his pack. At his hip he had his short axe, which he had recently learned how to throw, and the long knife he kept sheathed behind his back.

As Romeran rounded the corner towards the intended meeting f spot he didn’t immediately notice Duinion. He wondered briefly if he had somehow beaten the elder ranger there, that seemed unlikely though since it had been Duinion who had requested his presence and Romeran was already eating breakfast when he got the message. Slowly his eyes adjusted to the environment and then he spotted the ranger. It wasn’t as if Duinion was particular trying to blend in, he didn’t have any camouflage on him like they had when playing hide and seek, he just simply had a knack for blending in combined with his aptly colored ranger garb. “Master Tirdinen Duinon” he said smiling “I got your message. So what’s the plan?” He asked with a wide grin, he was looking forward to whatever Duinion had in mind.

Edit: updating Romeran's ranger rank for timing
Last edited by Romeran on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

He saw Rome from a little ways off, it wasn't too hard to spot a moving person. Especially one as large as Rome. He still had a faint idea he looked familiar somehow, as if he'd seen him somewhere, or someone like him. He watched the young man for a moment as he approached, trying to place that, and then thought perhaps he ought to wave or something to let him know where Duinion was. But, he hesitated for a moment, deciding to give him a minute to try and spot him. As it turned out, Rome managed to detect him a moment later, and Duinion smiled. "You don't have to call me that," He mentioned with a slight bit of awkwardness. "SImply Duinion is fine, really." It certainly sounded strange, hearing anyone call him 'master', but he understood it was meant in respect.

"I thought you might be interested in another trip," He mentioned. "Unless you have plans in the next few days. There's no telling how long this may last. I've heard that there are a few herbs which the healers are running low on, which can only be found in higher altitudes." He explained. "I'm going in search of some of these, to bring back a good supply, and I thought you might enjoy coming along for the experience. Also... it isn't the wisest idea to take off into the mountains alone, no matter how experienced one may be." He shrugged. It would be terrible if something were to happen and no one could find him. He knew at least one person who had lost someone in that manner. "Do you think you're up for a trip like that? Could take several days."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

It wasn't surprising that Duinion had asked Romeran to call him by his name and not his rank, it wasn't the first time that Romeran had called him that, but he felt to do so out of respect. Duinion was the master and Romeran was the apprentice, after all. He made a mental note not to do it too often if it made Duinion feel uncomfortable. For now he replied with a smile and a "good to see you, then, Duinion". Romeran continued to be impressed by how generally relaxed the rangers seemed to be. It was nothing like the rigid armies he had grown up reading and hearing about. He supposed perhaps that came somewhat with the territory of being a ranger rather than a soldier. For one thing Romeran didn't mind that they weren't obsessed with hierarchy and deference, even if he still felt the urge to address the senior rangers by their titles. He wondered what he would have felt, if he had been in Duinion's shoes, but he wasn't sure how he would feel.

"That sounds like a most exciting mission, I would be happy to accompany you and learn all that I can" it sounded like an interesting trip. Technically Lossarnach where Romeran grew up had its northern borders among the mountains, but Romeran's farm had been nearly square in the center of Lossarnach where the land was mostly flat, which was good for farming of course. Once he had visited the mountains with his uncle and cousins to see some of their family (relations of Romeran's uncle's wife) who lived nearby. He had found the mountains to be an inspiring thing to look upon especially up close. Minas Tirith itself, of course, was built on the out-thrust knee of Mount Mindolluin, the eastern most mountain of the White Mountains. The sight of the mountains as he had approached Minas Tirith for the first time had taken his breath away.

"What are the herbs we are looking for?" he asked in curiosity "also I didn't bring any climbing equipment, other than some rope, of course, do I need to go back and get any?" he asked not sure if they would have to be scaling mountains or if it was more of hike to where they were going. Romeran wasn't particularly experienced at climbing. He was glad now, however, that he had brought wool clothes and his wool cloak, he had in fact also brought a spare wool blanket which was rolled up with his bedroll and tarp attached to his pack. If they were going into the mountains it might get quite cold, depending on how high they needed to go.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion was pleased to hear that Rome had not, apparently, lost any of his excitement and eagerness since he last saw him. It was a good sign that he would enjoy being a ranger, and would stick with it for a long time. "I'm not sure about exciting," He answered with a grin. "But hopefully it will be enjoyable, at least." It was difficult to say what might happen by the end of their 'adventure' but it wasn't unthinkable that some 'excitement' might occur. Hopefully nothing dangerous, though one could never rule out such possibilities.

Rome was asking about their mission, which herbs. Putting his pack on, which he had laid to the side while awaiting Rome's arrival, Duinion answered. "A couple of different ones. Arnica, for one. It's useful for things like bruising. And another, called ironwort. They use it to treat wounds, or something of that sort. I'm not the most advanced in medicine, but I can handle a bit of first aid." He considered that for a moment. "Have you had any medical training yet? I know everyone is required to have some basic training at least, before being considered a fully trained ranger."

The question about rope brought a small smile. He shook his head. "No, no need for climbing equipment, I don't intend to go anywhere I can't get without walking. I have a length of rope for in case it's needed, but where I plan to go to find these plants, we won't need to climb up a rock face or anything like that." He assured him. It was good to question matters of that sort though, and be prepared just in case. "I hope you have warm enough clothing though. It can get rather cold, especially the higher we go." He warned. "We should have enough supplies to make a fire, but there is still the danger of hypothermia and frostbite." For himself, he had brought extra blankets and supplies for extreme cold, and hoped that Rome had brought suitable gear for himself.

"I must warn you, of course," He mentioned as he started toward the mountain. "There are dangers, so be on your guard. There could be bears, or wolves, or enemies." He paused, thinking, and tilted his head to look at the trainee. "Do you know what to do if you encounter a bear?" He wondered, curious if the young man had ever learned anything of the sort.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The trip was bound to be exciting in one way or another for Romeran at least no matter what Duinion said. He had never been into the mountains like this so he was already pretty excited just to go let alone that they had some sort of mission. Romeran had not heard of any of the herbs that they were setting out to find, not that it mattered, he tried to put to memory the two names and their uses although he predicted that he would forget them and have to be reminded. "I have not had any medical training yet specifically. I know a bit of farm-hand medicine, wrapping a wound or splinting a broken finger for example, but I'm not much for herblore outside of the edible variety" he added the last bit with a grin. He had been taking 'lessons' from Sergeant Pete and had been improving his cooking. It wasn't strictly on the required list of skills, but it was something which Romeran enjoyed immensely. He assumed at some point in his lessons with Captain Pele they would cover some of the healing skills, she was renowned as a Yantyar ranger before that after all.

That they wouldn't have to be doing any climbing was a relief to Romeran. Going off into the mountains and the cold weather and searching for herbs seemed more than enough to learn let alone an entirely new, and rather difficult he assumed, skill. "That's good" he said in relief "I did bring some rope of course, but I hadn't thought we'd need it for climbing" he added with a smile. "I wore wool clothes and brought extra wool blankets and some more layers too" his pack was heavier for it but as soon as he heard to meet him by the mountains he decided it was safer to bring more clothing and blankets for warmth. It turned out he had been correct and he was thankful for it. Romeran had also packed gloves, he didn't usually like wearing gloves although they had their uses (very hot things being an obvious one). Romeran's hands were calloused and tough enough for most things on the farm and in the woods without gloves, but he didn't want to lose any fingers to frostbite.

Bears were not something Romeran had expected to worry about. He hadn't seen a bear in real life before let alone had to deal with one. Small wolves often harangued the livestock and so Romeran was familiar with predators of that sort but bears were not really found so far in the midlands of Lossarnach. He had heard that black bears who would climb trees lived in some of the forests but Romeran had never actually seen any and people who claimed to have done so conveniently never had any evidence. "Uh... no " he said rather bluntly "I've never even seen a bear..." he continued, although he had heard of them and knew that they were supposedly ferocious and strong, it was a funny irony that Romeran was often himself compared to a bear.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"Well, I would recommend learning a few more medical skills, because you never know when you may need a skill like that." Duinion replied, though it was good to hear he knew some very basic stuff. "It's best to have the skills and not need to use them, than to need them and not have them." He paused, thinking briefly, then quietly mentioned, "I once came upon a patrol of rangers who had been ambushed by orcs, all slain except one, who would have joined the others, if I hadn't come when I did. He was badly wounded, though, and it seemed overwhelming, trying to keep him from bleeding to death before more help arrived. I'm grateful for everything I ever learned from the healers, now." He didn't like to remember that terrible day, but was fairly sure he would never forget it.

Clearing his throat softly, he glanced around as they continued onward, the ground steadily rising. "As for bears..." He thought for a moment. "They aren't extremely common around here, but it never hurts to be prepared, right?" He smiled. "They can be unpredictable, as each bear and each experience is unique; there is no single strategy that will work in all situations and that guarantees safety. But, if you happen upon a bear ahead of you, it's a good idea to stop and back away slowly, maybe try speaking softly to let the bear know you don't mean it any harm, so that it will not see you as a threat. Usually, they'll just leave you alone, because they'd usually rather not have an encounter with you either. Try to stay calm and definitely do not run, that will make you look like prey, and a bear will likely to chase you. Believe me, you are not going to outrun a bear."

He tried to think of any other useful things he had learned concerning bears. "As you're moving away, also move sideways so you can keep watching the bear to see how it's reacting. Most of the time, it'll just wander off, but if it starts coming toward you, then you need to change tactic. Stand your ground, and try to make yourself look bigger.." He paused and glanced at Rome with a grin. "Shouldn't be too hard for you. But, waving your arms around and yelling, that's more likely to scare it off.

"Throw things if you have to, but try to avoid having to fight it up close, because they have very sharp claws and teeth. Do not drop your pack or toss any food to the bear, the pack will protect your back if the bear attacks, but tossing food at it will make it even more interested in following you. Oh, and also very important, don't climb a tree. They can climb trees and you don't want to trap yourself." Dunion really hoped they wouldn't have any trouble with a bear but it was good to know that information, just in case. "So now you know a bit about what to do in case you encounter a bear, hopefully it won't be something you have to worry about."

Their route was growing steeper, but not so much as to require using their hands. He had chosen to start out on a path, so it was worn enough to be easy to follow and relatively easier for advancing up the mountain. Further on, the path would taper out and they would need to proceed without one, but that was a ways on ahead. "How are you liking the rangers, now that you've been with us for a little longer?" He asked Rome, after a little while. "Do you still like it?"
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

"I expect that Captain Pele will run me through the paces with respect to first aid and medical practice, what with her talents" he wasn't particularly eager for this part of his training, he didn't really like to think about injured people and tending wounds, but as Duinion said it was an essential skill that he would have to learn one way or another. "That's a good saying" he said referring to it being better to have a skill and not need it than the other way around. The following brief recollection about an encounter where Duinion had saved a man before he died truly emphasized the point "that must have been a terrible day indeed" he said, trying not to picture it too vividly, he hoped that he would not have to come across such a tragedy himself, or that if he ever did that he would have the necessary skills to handle it.

Romeran listened intently to Duinon explain how to handle a bear. Not running seemed like rather counter intuitive advice but he figured that the bear would probably chase, and as Duinion was quick to point out there was no way he was going to out run a bear. The prospect of having to deal with a bear in the wild was not something Romeran was particularly eager to deal with. "I guess Human is probably not the first thing on the bear's list of things to eat, seems like the bear might risk injury" it was fairly well known that hunters, like wolves, would generally avoid going after large prey simply because the risk of injury was too high even if they were capable of taking the prey down. An injured predator was a useless predator and likely would die if they did not heal quick enough.

"I sincerely hope we don't have a run in with a bear. But it's good to know that, given the right approach, we should be able to back away from one safely if pressed" he was glad for the knowledge, even if before he had been in a state of blissful ignorance not really thinking about bears, and now he was conscious of their danger which made the mountain trek somewhat more daunting.

As the path went up occasionally it would switch back on itself in order to scale the side of the mountain without going on in one direction for too long. Every now and then, Romeran would stop when there was a clearing in the trees simply to look out at the view. "Quite a view" he said, at one point where the mountains had a clearing which looked over Minas Tirith. He had never seen it from this angle before. If he was an artist he would have stopped to draw or sketch something, or a poet may have imagined some verse, but Romeran had no such skill and so it simply appreciated it. "I'm very much enjoying it" he said when Duinion asked if he still liked being a ranger "it wasn't exactly what I had expected, in many ways it's much better, and I'm learning a lot which is always exciting, especially since the subject matter is both interesting and practical" this seemed particularly relevant given then recent discussion about dealing with bears.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion smiled. "I expect she will," he agreed, well aware that Pele was a master healer as well as the captain of the rangers. He didn't comment further about the other matter, but agreed, it was a terrible day. There had been plenty of 'terrible days', and those tended to stick out in one's mind, a little more than the good days, he thought with some sadness. "He works as a carpenter now," He mentioned after a moment. "The man who survived, that is. He's quite good at it, too. If you're ever in need of carpentry work, look for his shop, it's called Wood Works, on the second level." He smiled faintly.

The path was close to its end, he estimated, or at least close to the point when they would leave it. He knew it didn't go much further before leveling out and then going off in another direction, eventually looping back around on itself. He intended to branch off from the path. Stopping alongside Rome to look out over the scene below, he nodded thoughtfully. "It is a beautiful sight, isn't it?" Though they had only been hiking for a couple of hours, it seemed they had traveled fairly far already. "It'll be an even nicer view from up higher, but I'm not sure how high we'll need to go to find the plants."

After taking a brief rest, to catch their breath after the steep portion of the trail, Duinion set out again. "We'll be leaving the trail before long." He warned him. "It goes on a little further, then it'll start going off in another direction. We want to go the other way, so it'll be slightly harder going after that." After a moment to think about it, he added, "Try to pay attention to the plants along the edges of the trail as we go, and any others we pass. See if you can spot anything we can forage for food. I don't expect to find the herbs we're looking for this soon, but perhaps you can keep an eye out for them. Arnica.." He paused to think how best to describe it. "It looks like a yellow daisy, that'll be the first thing you'd notice. It usually grows in meadows up in higher climates.

"And Ironwort," He paused, thinking on that. "It's also usually found in open, dry, grassy and stony meadows and rocky places. It's..I'm not sure how to describe it, exactly." He frowned. "It's easy to recognize once you know, but...Hmm." He thought on that a moment. "Its leaves are green but sort of bluish tinted, and have a lot of white fuzz on them. Then there's like a stalk of tiny yellow flowers. I'm probably describing it very badly," He laughed. "I'll have to just find some and show you."

Proceeding onward, they hiked on for at least an hour before he found the place where the path veered off. "And here's where we leave the trail," He found a gap in the bushes and foliage pressing in on the path, and led the way. "I figure we ought to be able to go a ways further before we start looking for a place to camp, but if we find anything useful, we can gather it now." He was already thinking about watching for game, as he preferred to save their supplies for in case of a more urgent need.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

It did not seem to be entirely a tragedy at least and Romeran was glad to learn that the man had survived and continued to live on to this day. "Well if I ever need a carpenter I'll make sure to find him" he said, although Romeran wasn't sure how likely that would be at least in the near future, but it was better to have knowledge and not use it than to need it and not have it, as Duinion had recently remarked. He wondered if he had suffered such a traumatic event f he would have retired from being a ranger. Or maybe the man had been injured too severely to continue his duties. Romeran decided that it would probably be best not to ask any further questions, it did not seem like an enjoyable memory.

As they continued their hike up into the mountains, Romeran took every opportunity he could to look out down below from where they were, whenever the trees relented so that there was a reasonable view. Hiking in the mountains like this wasn't something Romeran was familiar with and he was enjoying it immensely. That the views changed as you went up was a different effect than walking through the flat forest, Romeran wasn't sure which he preferred. It was much harder going, physically, as they walked up the slope and of course the higher they went the harder the breathing got. If they went too high then eventually the trees would subside as well, although Romeran wasn't sure if they'd be going above the treeline.

When Duinion mentioned the plants that they were looking for and described them he tried to keep an eye out, although it was difficult because he wasn't really sure what they looked like and didn't want to point out every occurrence of daisies or flowers that he didn't know. He instead started looking for signs of the forgeable foods that they had found on his previous trip. From the last trip he knew that wild carrots often grew near trail edges and so he tried to keep an eye out. At one point he stopped Duinion and pointed to a patch "I think those might be some wild carrots?" he said, pointing to them but asking just in case. He was fairly confident, however, having written down the information in his book and even visited the library to find a book on edible plants -- there were far too many for him to have memorized.

Arriving at the point of leaving the trail, Romeran looked down where the trail was heading. He wondered where it went? He suddenly wished that there could have been two of him so that one could continue down the trail, wistfully, on a pleasant hike into the mountains, and the other could trek through the thicker brush in search of medicinal herbs. Alas for being only one person. Romeran had brought with him his short bow, although it was unstrung and strapped to his pack, but he looked around at some of the trees. "Perhaps there are some wild game birds, pheasant or quail or something" although Romeran honestly didn't know too much about the types of birds that they might find and hunt in this area, it seemed unlikely that they would find ground birds like Turkey.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Ranger Tirdinen Duinion Raedor

Pausing, Duinion came closer to take a look at the leaves that Romeran had spotted. "Good eye," he smiled. "Yes, that is Queen's Lace." he looked around. "Looks like there's enough of it to take some without depleting the whole patch." He wondered if Romeran would remember to go for the younger roots, and moved back to allow him to dig. "I brought a small spade, by the way," he remembered, easing his pack to the ground. In a moment he had located the spade, and passed it to Rome. "I thought that would be better than digging into the ground with your knife," He grinned. Since the entire purpose for this trip was to gather plants and roots, then it had made sense to bring supplies suited to that purpose.

Glancing up into the trees at the Trainee's next suggestion, Duinion paused and listened for a long moment. "I hear no pheasants," He replied softly. "But we weren't trying overly much for stealth, thus far. Perhaps we ought to move more slowly from this point on, and we may come upon something." He glanced at Rome's gear, thinking for a moment before mentioning anything further. "I noticed you keep your bow unstrung." It was a bit of a tricky topic, really, and one which could be debated, and he felt it might be good to bring up a few points the young man may not have thought of. "It's good to keep it that way when you aren't using it. I do the same, when I'm at home. But I always keep it strung when I'm out in the wild, for you never know when you may need it at a moment's notice... whether you come unexpectedly upon prey and you miss your chance to shoot because you had to stop and string the bow.. or if you are suddenly confronted with an enemy. Something worth considering, anyway." He knew that, as for caring for the bow, it was certainly better to keep it unstrung anytime it was not being used, but he had decided long ago that it was better to be ready and possibly go through bows more swiftly, than to not be ready and potentially suffer for it.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The spade certainly made the task easier and also meant that he wouldn't have to clean and re-sharpen his knife as much. Romeran was quite familiar with using spades to pull plants having worked on a farm for so long. He deftly removed the younger roots which he remembered from before and placed them in a canvas sack which he returned to his pack. Carrots went with most things which meant it wasn't as important what they would end up catching or finding as the carrots would likely complement them well. With the foraged carrots returned to the sack, Romeran picked up his pack and returned it to his shoulders ready to continue on and handed the spade back to Duinion. "A handy tool, I'm sure it will be useful when we find the herbs which we're looking for" Romeran assumed that's why he had brought it.

The question of stringing the bow had come up when he had gone to the armorer to acquire some weapons. "The armorer insisted that I keep the bow unstrung until I use it" he began, initially simply blaming the armorer "I suppose she has a vested interest in minimizing having to replace weapons" he added when Duinion had explained that he kept the bow string more often than the Armorer had recommended Romeran to do with his. "The bow she gave me is designed with a heavy draw for its size, which makes it more prone to warp if strung overlong, or at least that's what the armorer said" Romeran continued to be quick to emphasize that this was knowledge passed to him rather than drawn from his own experience. "But if we're going to be looking for some game then I should string it, it only takes a moment I've been practicing" Romeran went to pull down his bow if Duinion indicated that he should do so. Since he had received the bow, Romeran had continued to practice as much as he could, often daily when his schedule allowed and he would practice stringing it as quickly as he could as the Armorer had suggested.

"I think if we were ambushed," which was something he hoped would not happen "I would probably use my axe and knife" he said, patting the top of this axe at his left side "I don't have much practice in using a bow on enemies in close quarters" he continued, he knew that experienced rangers who were experts in the bow would use their weapons at even close range, but Romeran preferred melee in that situation, given the option. Romeran wasn't the type who was eager for battle, he was glad that he was being trained and he did enjoy the training, but only because he knew that he learned these things to defend the people of Gondor and those who cannot defend themselves. "Well, hopefully we don't get ambushed" he added, grimly.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Nodding thoughtfully, Duinion considered those things. "I'm aware of what the armorer would say," He smiled faintly. "And since bow is not your first choice for a weapon in an urgent situation, it is probably fine for you to continue as you have been. It does keep the bow in good shape longer. But, for me..this is my go-to weapon." He held up the long bow he carried, speaking softly. "I always keep it strung unless I'm off duty, ever since that terrible day I spoke of earlier." It was a bit difficult to speak of, and it was painful to remember those details, but one must learn from their mistakes. "Another few second's delay, and...Addhor would have perished that day along with the others.

"Every situation is different, of course, and it isn't possible to prepare for everything that could happen. But we rangers prepare as much as we can." He shrugged. "I have my daggers for close combat, and if I must, my bow itself can be a weapon, like a staff." He paused and smiled faintly, with a touch of sadness. "There was another recruit I trained, a few years ago... he preferred daggers for his main weapon, but he tried to learn archery so he would have a distance weapon. For the longest time, he was always getting his bow tangled in the underbrush, or catching it on tree limbs, or something.." He shook his head a little. "He had trouble with moving stealthily while carrying his bow." It had been a bit amusing, back then, and he remembered some of them teasing him about it frequently.

Moving on through the forest, Duinion stepped over a little stream and then looked around. "Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to practice tracking," He suggested. "We didn't do any hunting on our last trip. We can't do traps this time, since we won't be staying in the same place. So we'll need to find tracks of something to hunt. It may seem a bit early yet to start thinking of supper, but it could take a while to track down our prey. And this stream here is a good place to look for tracks, so let's see what we can find." Using the bottom of his bow, he moved some ferns and plants aside to look at the softer ground around the edge of the water.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

What Duinion said made sense "It is a ranger's duty to be prepared" he echoed it sounded as if this level of preparedness had paid off for Duinion in the past and who was Romeran to argue with that? Not that he had a mind to argue the point anyway. He continued removing his pack from his shoulders and untied the bow from the side of his bag and took out the bowstring which was kept nearby. Propping the bow against his foot, he was able to use his substantial body weight to press down the bow and pull the string up from the tip of the lower limb which he had already hooked and was holding in place with his foot, up to the upper limb where he wrapped the circular loop of the string around the prong.

With his bow now strung he readied his gear again to follow after Duinion. Romeran's bow was considerably shorter than Duinion's but was designed with a double curve, similar to the bows that a horse archer would have used, which allowed it to have a much greater draws weight for it's size. It was not, however, the same strength as a full longbow, but on the other hand it was much easier to navigate through the woods with as it was not nearly as large. Romeran himself was sufficiently large that the bow did not stick out substantially beyond his width unless he held it completely perpendicular to himself. Still he was not exactly used to walking through the woods stealthily with a bow drawn. More than a couple of times he found that the end would snag on branches which he had otherwise walked past. Often the sharp thorns or brush would get caught in the angle between the limb of the bow and the string and Romeran would have to back up his elbow to unhook it.

Watching Duinion's example made it easier to try and stop the bow from interfering too much. Keeping the bow closer to his body and in front and not angled such that it would clip seemed to be the best way to keep it from disturbing their path. When they arrived at the stream Duinion pushed aside some of the brush to look at the softer ground near the edge of the water. Romeran peered down to see if he could make anything out. There were many indentations in the ground near the stream but it was hard to make out whether it had been animal or just rocks and stones blown around by the wind or the stream itself. "What sort of things would we be tracking?' he asked in a quiet voice, perhaps if he had an idea of what sort of game they would find out here it might narrow it down. Perhaps some water foul or something bigger like a deer? Romeran wasn't sure what they might hunt in the mountains like this.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Taking a look at the bank, Duinion gave Romeran a chance to study it. He saw nothing of real interest, but let Rome take a look and see that for himself before moving a little further down. Sooner or later, there was bound to be some sort of animal tracks, he was sure of that, but he hoped it would be sooner rather than later, as he didn't want to take too much time just finding something to hunt. Even if they found tracks, it could take a while to actually hunt down the creature. He decided that if they didn't come across any worthwhile tracks in the next few yards, they should move on.

Rome's question made him tilt his head thoughtfully. "Well, we're looking for something suitable for the two of us for one or two meals. We don't want to kill something too large for us to be able to eat in a timely fashion. So no deer, unless you think you can eat the whole thing in a meal or two," he grinned, teasing a little. "Perhaps a rabbit or fowl. Even squirrels can be eaten, but we'd need to catch several of them. For those, I prefer traps, but as I said before, setting traps won't be very practical as we're going to continue moving onward until we find the right sort of place to find the plants we need."

He pointed down to some fairly clear tracks on the bank. "That looks like something of interest, can you recognize what creature left those tracks?" he paused to let Rome give an answer, smiling a little as he tested the trainee. He intended to give him further experience with those skills, during this trip, and of course the only way to gain experience was to actually practice. "Let us see if we can follow the trail, and perhaps secure our supper." He suggested, indicating that Rome should take the lead in this. Though Duinion would help guide him if needed, he wanted Rome to do what he could without having to ask for help.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

There weren’t any tracks in the immediate vicinity and it seemed that Duinion agreed. They moved forward a few yards following the stream. Eventually Duinon stopped them and pointed to the ground at some tracks in the mud close to the edge of the stream. Romeran peered down at the tracks and looked at them. They were very obvious in the mud and continued upstream, if looked like the stream led into a thick grassy area ahead perhaps where the creature was finding food.

The print was clearly a bird based on the shape. It had three ‘toes’ with the two on the outside coming together to form a ‘Y’ shape with a small ‘heel’. The third toe stuck out down the middle and was longer than the other two. It also had a small gap between the middle prong and the ‘Y’ shape where the arch of the birds foot meant that it did not touch flatly on the ground. This was a common bird footprint and one that was quite well know for hunting.

“I think those are pheasant tracks” he said quietly. They looked fairly recent, pheasants were known to eat later in the day than other birds, and Romeran didn’t want to spook it even if it was still some distance away from them. “It looks like the tracks lead upstream into that grassy thicket there”. Romeran nodded with his head in the direction of the tracks and the thicket.

Quietly he began to move up the stream checking the tracks as he went. The river was small but it provided at least a notional amount of background noise with which to mask the sound of their movement. Romeran kept low, as low as he could get, so that he wouldn’t be seen over the tall grass as they approached. Pheasant and deer hunting were the most common types of hunting that Romeran’s uncle had done. Usually they would hunt pheasant with dogs who would chase out the birds and cause them to fly, pheasants aren’t know for flying for long but they will if they are startled. Then the hunter can shoot the bird as it tries to fly away and the dog can retrieve it. Romeran wondered what they would do without a hunting dog. They could try to sneak up on it but the thick grass might make that hard. There were other ways to spook a pheasant he supposed, maybe they could even toss a rock at it or one of them could make chase for the bird and cause it to fly up.

When it seemed the tracks here getting fresher, Romeran paused more frequently and tried to listen to see if he could hear any of them. At first he didn’t hear much and so he would continue. Occasionally he looked to Duinon for guidance but the ranger seemed to have it in mind that Romeran would do the tracking. They got closer to where the pheasants were feeding and Romeran managed to stop moving close enough that he could hear them pecking away, but not to close as to make them run. He looked over to Duinon and motioned with his head to the thicket of grass ahead of them some twenty yards from the stream they had followed upwards. Romeran dared not make any sounds but looked to the elder ranger as if for some silent instruction.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Watching Rome inspect the tracks, Duinion smiled faintly. "Pheasant is right," He agreed softly. He wondered whether Rome had hunted them before, on the farm. They'd be doing it a little differently, out here, than the way it was normally done. Moving very quietly, he followed along behind Rome, making sure to keep his bow from catching on anything along the way. The whole time, he watched with approval at the way Rome kept up his stealthy movement. He seemed to have been practicing, good.

At length, their movement grew slower as they approached their quarry. Duinion eased an arrow from his quiver, quietly clipping the nock onto his string. With slow, almost painfully slow, steps, he moved to one side when a breeze stirred the trees. Another careful step, and he could see the tail of one of the pheasants. He glanced slowly over to Rome, gesturing at his bow, then made a motion to indicate he ought to prepare to shoot. He figured if they each got one of the birds, that ought to be enough for today. It occurred to him that he ought to at some point go through some basic hand motions with Rome to teach him some of the gestures the rangers sometimes used to communicate in situations like this, as he doubted Rome would've had any occasion yet to learn any of that.

The pheasants were pecking away, oblivious to the hunters not far away. Duinion watched for a moment, taking calm, slow breaths. Looking back at Rome, he motioned toward Rome's bow, and toward where he could see the grass stirring from a pheasant not far from him, then to his own bow and at the one in front of him; indicating they would each shoot a bird, and then held up three fingers, slowly taking one down, then the other, then the last.. to indicate a countdown. Hopefully, Rome got the idea that they would try to shoot at the same time. Because, Duinion figured, the moment one of them fired an arrow, the other birds would take off. It would be much easier to take the shot while they were on the ground, he figured, and while he was sure that he could do it, he didn't know about Rome.

Drawing the arrow back on his string, he readied himself for the shot; calming his mind, steadying his nerves, focusing upon the target. It was possible they would only get one shot, and he wanted to be sure they had something to eat. With a nod of his head, he hoped to communicate to Rome that he was ready. He would wait for Rome to shoot; Duinion's arrow would be released maybe a second later. He could see in his peripheral vision when Rome was ready, and would see when he let the arrow fly, but aside from that, his attention was focused on his own target.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

When Duinion nocked his arrow Romeran took it as a cue to do the same. He reached and removed an arrow from his quiver as quietly as he could and set it in the string of his bow. They crept closer forward and the sound of the pheasants became clearer. The area of brush cleared out ahead to smaller grass with tall thin seed blades growing and the Pheasants where grazing on the seeds. It was convenient that they found the birds in such an open area, with them still hidden in the thicket, usually the roles were reversed and the dogs were used to chase the pheasants and make them fly.

Stealth had been on the rangers side, however, and they had found themselves in a fortunate position for the hunt. Duinon motioned to two of the pheasants. It was clear from his indication that Romeran was to shoot one and Duinon would shoot the other on a count. This made him wonder if the rangers had any sort of sign language, well not a language perhaps but maybe some common communication methods in silence. He made a mental note to ask Duinon later. For the time being he watched.

As Duinon counted down with his fingers Romeran drew on the bow. He kept both eyes open as Duinon had recommended and he was able to see the pheasant in front of him but also Duinon from his peripheral vision and he was able to see as he counted down. Romeran breathed in and held his breath. The draw weight on his recurve bow was heavy but not so heavy that Romeran couldn’t hold it at a full draw for a few heartbeats. He used this to his advantage as he steadied his aim at the pheasant. Romeran had practiced with his bow on nearly a daily basis. He followed the recommendation of Duinion and had been practicing from various distances to the target and from different angles. He hadn’t done much practice yet when he was on the move but luckily they were standing, well crouching rather, still and he was able to aim well at the target. It was a distance he had shot at now many times in practice.

On command he released the arrow at the unsuspecting pheasant. The arrow flew from his bow with surprising speed. It had taken some practice for Romeran to consistently avoid the slap of the string without compromising his grip, especially with the speed at which the recurve bow recovered. This time he had managed to avoid it, although the reinforced leather of his bracers would have protected his forearm if he had failed to avoid it. The arrow flew true and with the speed and small head on the arrow it pierced the breast of the pheasant and killed it immediately when it arrived at the heart. The practice he had done at the training grounds had paid off it seemed. At least both he and the target had been stationary, pecking of the pheasant aside.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

The instant he saw Rome release the arrow, Duinion let his own fly as well. The arrows hit immediately one after the other, right in the mark. Duinion exhaled slowly, and gave a small nod of satisfaction as he watched the rest of the birds took to the air, startled by the sudden attack. The ranger held out a hand to warn Rome not to move just yet, glancing around cautiously. He waited a few moments, listening, then nodded and stepped forward to claim the bird. "I always like to give a little pause and watch, just in case," He commented softly to Rome, "Anytime there's a disturbance in the forest, like those birds taking off. You never know whether there may be another in the woods, and you might just inadvertently have drawn their attention."

It may be being overly cautious, but having spent so many years in the fight against the enemy, with the threat of orcs always looming overhead, he had learned caution. Taking a moment to work his arrow out of the pheasant, he nodded to himself. "We can save the feathers from these, too. I'll use them for fletching, next time I repair an arrow, or make a new one." He smiled, thinking the feathers would be nice for fletching. "These long tail feathers may be useful for something too, quills maybe."

Having procured the birds and stowed them safely away, he paused to get their bearings again. "We need to start keeping an eye out for a camping place now, as we'd be best off to get settled down in the next couple of hours. It's too easy to get lost in unfamiliar terrain after dark." He'd been here a few times, but it wasn't exactly 'familiar' and he sure didn't want to end up wandering around lost in the mountains. With that in mind, he picked up his bow again and set off, making sure that Rome kept up.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

It was impressive to Romeran how quickly after he had loosed his arrow that Duinion followed, his reaction time and accuracy was outstanding. With the birds successfully shot, Romeran went to move towards them but was held up by Duinion who cautioned him not to move. Eventually Duinion relented and let them move forward. At first Romeran was puzzled, did he expect the pheasants to rise from the dead or something? Luckily, Duinion didn't wait long to clue Romeran in. When he considered that their situation wouldn't necessarily always be one of quiet hunting in a region so close to the heart of Gondor but rather they could be hunting in an area where possible enemies might lurk, it made more sense. It was always best to make a habit out of something if you wanted to be consistent in using it when you needed to. Romeran nodded his head, "I was wondering why, but that makes sense" he said in agreement.

They approached the pheasants and Romeran carefully removed the arrow. He inspected the arrow head, it didn't appear damaged, Romeran had avoided nicking the bones at the center (although bird's bones being hollow meant that they were less likely to damage the arrow). It looked like he would be able to salvage this particular arrow, which was good because he didn't bring a full two dozen arrows. "Perhaps you can teach me" he said in "fletching, that is" he expanded "it's not something I've ever learned how to do myself." As for quills that seemed interesting as well and he began to wonder how difficult it really was to make a quill anyway.

The birds he tied and strapped to his sack, they'd be finding camp soon enough and he could get to the task of plucking and cleaning them later, they would likely camp somewhere near a river or water source anyway. When Duinion had mentioned unfamiliar terrain, Romeran was slightly concerned. He had always assumed that Duinion knew all of the areas around like the back of his hand, which in hindsight was an absurd expectation. There wasn't much added danger, given Duinion's experience level, with being somewhere less familiar, but still Romeran felt a slight change in his perspective and observation of his surroundings.

"We might as well follow the river, if it's going in the same direction we are?" he offered as a suggestion for how they might find a campsite. They were likely to want to camp near a water source and unless their destination was wholly perpendicular to the river it seemed reasonable, to Romeran, that they might follow it in the best direction and look for a suitable place to camp for the night.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion smiled a bit at hearing Rome suggest he might teach him about the fletching. "Certainly, if you're interested." He answered. "I took up making arrows as a sort of...practical hobby, you might say. Something to do in my downtime, to keep busy, but also the product of that hobby is useful to me. I don't have to go and buy arrows. And, all the supplies I need, I find right out here in the wild." He didn't quite remember when he first got the idea to learn how to make the arrows, but had spent quite a while in learning how to do it properly. "My first attempts at making arrows were...pathetic," He added with a little laugh. "Before I knew what to do, I tried making some on my own. They didn't turn out well at all." He grinned and glanced down at those currently in his quiver. "I made all of these, in fact. And Eryn's, the ones you used that day you came to learn archery from me."

As they walked, he thought about a coupe of things he might teach him about when they found a camp. "That sounds reasonable," He nodded to Rome's line of thinking about following the stream. "I'll leave it up to you to select a suitable camping spot," He smiled. The more he practiced, the better he'd be, after all. "I think you know what to look for." He walked on, trying to compose a list in his head of a few things to remember to teach Rome. The hand signals, for one. His stomach was already beginning to complain at how long he'd gone since his last meal, but he ignored that. He'd be fine until they'd made camp and prepared their meal.

As they continued along by the stream, Duinion kept an eye out for plants that could be used for food, hoping to add a little extra to it, but so far he didn't see very much of interest. Until one caught his eye, and he stopped. "Rome," he grinned. "Look at this," He moved some ferns aside that were trying to cover up the leaves, and pointed out the other plant. "I almost missed it. This is groundnut... or some may call it Hopniss. It's another kind of wild potato, and rather easier to harvest." He glanced around. "Is there more?" He hoped to be able to gather a few, but not if there wasn't enough to leave. "These are usually found near streams or lakes, it seems we were lucky enough to come across some." He smiled. "And there's some more, over there, a bigger patch. I think we could harvest a few of these." He was quite pleased, thinking of what meal they might make with carrots, 'potatoes' and pheasant. "I'd suggest getting the roots from the older plants, they'll be bigger, and leave the smaller ones to continue growing."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Since their mission was to find the herbs that are up the mountain, Romeran decided that clearly they ought to follow the stream up the mountain rather than down the mountain. The sound of the river itself helped to mask their movements, but Romeran was still cautious as he followed the path, trying to be vigilant about silent movement as Duinion had taught him. Even though they were still in the region of Minas Tirith, and even if there were no orcs or enemies near by, it never hurt to be cautious and Romeran was still thinking about Duinion's warning about bears.

The stream moved slowly uphill but meandering as it did. "Fletching certainly sounds like an interesting and practical hobby" he said in response "I suppose cooking is one of my hobbies" he added and almost as if on cue his stomach growled. As they walked upstream, Romeran kept an eye out for where they might camp. Before they had found somewhere Duinion stopped them and pointed out what he called 'groundnut' or 'hopniss' Romeran hadn't heard of either of these names. He moved over to where Duinion was pointing to take a closer look "I don't think I'm familiar with this plant" he said. Romeran looked around to see if there were more of the plants and spotted them right as Duinion pointed out a bigger patch.

They marched over to the bigger patch of hopniss and Romeran asked for the spade again before proceeding to take out the larger more mature plants as Duinion had instructed. "What do they taste like? They seem like potatoes enough." he asked already wondering how he would cook them with the pheasants they caught and the carrots they had found.

As they made their way back upstream, with a sack now full of wild carrots and groundnuts, Romeran redoubled his efforts to find a good camping spot. Eventually, there was a clearing in the woods off to the west of the stream, but still within eyeshot of the water. The clearing was big enough for them to pitch some sort of shelter but the trees nearby would provide them with some level of cover both from the rain and from whoever or whatever might approach their camp. Romeran pointed out the area "That seems like a reasonable spot." he suggested "we should take a closer look. It's getting late" he said looking up at the sky "Probably best something sooner rather than later, unless we plan to march further?" he asked, already walking towards his suggested campsite.

As they got closer to the small clearing the grass was short and sparse as the trees, still present and large as they had not crossed the tree line, provided shade but this was not generally conducive to growth of long and thick grass. This meant at least that placing a shelter wouldn't be too difficult with the surrounding trees offering several options and the soft, short, grass might make their stay more comfortable. "What do you think?" he asked Duinion hopefully as his stomach growled again. Romeran hoped Duinion wouldn't find some fatal flaw in the option which would require that they march on much further, he was getting hungry after all, but he would certainly oblige as he trusted the elder ranger's survival skills more than his own.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"It is interesting," Duinion nodded. "I do more than just the fletching though. I make the entire arrow, even the head." He smiled, and couldn't help feeling at least a little proud of it. "Learning how to make them also helped to make me understand a little more about the flight of the arrow, and thus, I think, made me a better archer." He added thoughtfully. "Cooking is also a useful hobby, and you seem to be quite good at it, from what I've seen and tasted." He smiled, recalling the delicious stew from before.

Helping Rome locate the plants that looked promising, he then held back the vines to make it easier on him to dig up the roots, which averaged the size of small or medium potatoes. "As far as I can tell," He answered, "They taste just like any potato you'd find in the market. It's been some time since I had anything bought at the market, but as best as I recall, there isn't any difference. Cook them the same as any potato, and you can't tell the difference." Soon they had a fair harvest of them, and he let Rome lead the way, so he could get better practice.

After some time, Rome suggested a spot. Duinion took a glance around, nodding. "Looks good to me." He agreed, seeing nothing that might be wrong with it. "Let's take a look around though, make sure we aren't intruding on any animals' territory, before we settle in for the night." He searched the area, looking for any sign of animals. "I think we'll be alright to stay here," He declared at last. "No sign of bears or cougars or wolves, I'm not even seeing much sign of smaller animals. I think a fox might've been through here a few days ago but that's all." Now they could get a fire going and start cooking, and he wouldn't deny, he was looking forward to a good meal.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

If the groundnuts tasted like potatoes then Romeran and Duinion were going to have a good meal. He decided on the way to find their camp to keep an eye out for some rosemary. There were many common plants used in cooking and ever since their first trip Romeran had taken particular interest in learning what they looked like in the wild and not just already plucked for cooking. Rosemary was fairly distinctive and had a strong smell. It was also a fairly common plant and it wasn’t too far from where they had found their campsite that he found a patch of rosemary. They wouldn’t need much and so he picked off only a small branch. Content that their dinner would be delightful, Romeran made to help with camp.

“I brought my tarp with me again” he said. The previous trip they had spent a good deal of time working on shelters but Romeran wasn’t sure whether or not that would be the focus of the trip this time so he decided to bring the tarp with him. Romeran was glad that their chosen spot had passed Duinion’s inspection. Not only was he hungry but the positioning of the trees seemed particularly convenient for hanging a tarp.

Fetching wood and tinder for the fire was an easy task given the amount of trees that lined the mountain side. There was enough felled and dry wood that Romeran barely had to do much work with his axe to bring back the tinder. Together they were able to get a nice fire going.

“When did you decide that you wanted to be a ranger?” He asked. They had discussed before that Duinion had joined up at a very young age, fifteen if Romeran remembered correctly, but he wondered how much younger he had been when he had decided on that course of action.

In the meantime Romeran began to prepare the food for cooking. The potatoes and carrots needed dicing into bite sized pieces and Romeran asked if Duinion would help with the task “could you cut these up into small pieces, about the same size?” Romeran indicated with his hand roughly what size he had in mind. “I’m going to clean and prepare the pheasants” he explained and got up to do so in the river. The task of plucking the birds was arduous but Romeran gathered the feathers to present to Duinion to select which ones he might like to keep.

With the pheasant cleaned and gutted, Romeran returned to camp to continue cooking. From his bag he removed a small cast iron pan. It was a luxury to bring something rather unnecessarily heavy but Romeran reasoned that he could use the extra physical work and if he had to he could leave it somewhere. For now, coupled with the lid, it would make an excellent vessel for their roast pheasant and vegetables. Spatchcocking the pheasants was the only way to get them into the pan but with that he managed to get them in with the carrots and groundnuts in as well. He seasoned them with the salt that he carried as well as the sprigs of thyme. When the fire had died to embers he put the covered pan in the embers and carefully scooped some embers on top of the pan to create an oven using his axe and knife as tongs. “As long as we keep it hot it will make for a good roast pheasant and vegetables” he said. It wasn’t the fastest way to cook the food, but it would be the best in his mind and unlike boiling it into a stew it would be much easier to carry any leftovers and eat them the next day.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"Good thinking," He nodded, hearing that Rome had brought the tarp. "It's more convenient to have something quick to use for a shelter if you need it, especially if bad weather comes up on you quickly." He set his pack down and helped to gather some of the wood for the fire, eager to get cooking. "Luckily, the ground isn't too sloped here, either," he mentioned. "And the grass will make a softer bed, though we can supplement with leaves and things, if we'd like a little more padding."

Sitting cross-legged on the ground, he got to work cutting the vegetables, thinking a bit about Rome's question. "It's hard to say for certain." He paused. "I recall that thought of the rangers first crossed my mind when my best friend's brother joined the rangers. I was...about ten, I think, at that time. I hadn't really thought, "I want to do that" yet, I don't think. But he would return from patrols and missions, telling us the most exciting tales, and it made me more than a little jealous that he got to go explore and have adventures... even if it was dangerous." He grinned. "I'm sure those stories had a lot to do with my choice. And then, well, the next few years it kept becoming more and more appealing." He shrugged.

"Then, one day.." He hesitated, thinking how to word this without too many details. "I... had a job that I didn't really like, and I lost it due to a..misunderstanding. I was very upset, and my friend suggested I ought to do what I wanted to do, so I went and signed up." He passed the chopped vegetables over to Rome when he seemed ready for them. "I can't imagine enjoying any other sort of life." He paused, thinking for a moment as he leaned back, tilting his head as a vague memory stirred. "Actually, I remember meeting another ranger once, in the library... a couple of years before I joined. Something he said, which really stuck with me, might've had a little bit to do with it as well..." He trailed off as a few pieces of that memory began to resurface, having been mostly forgotten except for that one phrase, but now... "A man should make his own fate," He uttered softly, looking at Rome with slight wonder as a few things started to come together in his head, but he was a bit hesitant to voice his suspicion, in case he was wrong.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Since they were going to use the tarp it would be easy for them to throw together a quick shelter if they needed protection from the wind or if it were to rain. Romeran remembered the first night of their first trip where Duinion had simply slept under the sky. Weather permitting, it wasn't a terrible experience. Assuming the weather held, Romeran thought it would be a fairly comfortable night with the soft grass and a bedroll and a good wool blanket with his wool cloak, as long as it didn't get too windy.

As Duinion answered Romeran's question, he was preparing the partridges for cooking and stoking the fire but he nodded as Duinion spoke with an occasionally "I see" or "mmhmm" to indicate that he was listening despite working on cooking simultaneously. Romeran was becoming more and more proficient at cooking and he used his knife deftly on the pheasants as he prepared them and seasoned them. "I can certainly relate to envying stories of adventure. The farm is consistent and occasionally stressful but I wouldn't call it exciting" he explained, he could understand why people like farming, it wasn't that Romeran disliked it, but he had always yearned for adventure, to be the designer of his own fate.

"You had a job at such a young age?" Romeran asked "although I suppose I was working on my uncle's farm from even younger than that, I guess I never really thought of it as a 'job' that was just life" he realized that perhaps it was not so unusual and that Romeran had just been conditioned to think of his farm work as part of his chores. As Duinion passed Romeran the vegetables he organized them inside the cast-iron pan, he wanted to have each of them lying flat on the bottom of the pan, as best he could, that way they would get nice and crispy in the oven. If you overcrowded the pan they would steam which wasn't what he was looking for, not that it would have been bad.

"It's only been such a short time for me, but honestly I don't think I could imagine enjoying something more" he agreed but he was glad that Duinion still felt the same way after so many years.

At the phrase 'A man should make his own fate' Romeran perked up visibly and stopped cooking. He turned his head and looked at Duinion "That's funny" he said half frowning "my mother used to say the same thing to me, apparently it was something my father used to say, although he never had a chance to say it to me when I was old enough to remember it" he sighed slightly at the last part "hearing my mother say that in my head after she passed was a big part of why I decided to leave the farm and follow my instincts and become a ranger". Romeran hadn't quite pieced together that perhaps Duinion had learned this phrase from the same person as he had. Despite his father being a ranger, Romeran often didn't consider this fact as he did not really know his father as he had died when Romeran was still an infant. "Funny how things like that stick with you" he said in conclusion. By this time the food was ready and Romeran was putting it on the fire and creating the oven.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"You had a job at such a young age?"

Duinion paused at this question, realizing maybe that wasn't quite what most people would find normal. "Yes," He answered quietly. "Most of the children I grew up with were..expected, if not forced, to take jobs as early as possible. Jobs, or apprenticeships, if possible." He explained, reluctant to speak of all that. "Before the job in the shop, I was sent out to a farm on the Pelennor, to work for the farmer during the harvest season. He was not very nice to me. Some time later, I ended up working in a shop, but... well, that didn't work out so well either. After that I went to the rangers... as my daughter told you before, I uh... told them I was a little bit older than I really was, so they wouldn't turn me away for being too young. Thankfully, it worked, and I never regretted it." He smiled faintly.

Nodding slightly as Rome's words confirmed his suspicion, Duinion smiled slightly. "Your father.. you were named after him, somewhat. I remember you mentioned that shortly after I met you." He mentioned, trying to think back to that day in the library. "Inno? No... Indo." He muttered softly with a small nod. "Indo Romeran." He looked at the young man, wondering if the first name meant anything. "That's who you reminded me of, the first time I saw you, but I couldn't place it.. it was so long ago." He expected some amount of surprise, wonder, and curiosity, and smiled faintly as he tried to give answers before they were asked.

"I met him once... your father. I remember now. Once, maybe twice, I don't recall exactly.. it could have been more, but I remember him. He certainly stood out from others, though I didn't connect it with you until just now." He thought about that briefly. "I used to see him in the library sometimes... I used to spend a lot of time there, to get away from..other people, mostly." He chose not to go into those details, and focus on telling what he remembered of Indo. "I saw him there sometimes, but I only really spoke with him one time that I can remember." Shifting to stretch his legs out, he pulled a rag from his bag to clean off his knife from the vegetable residue. "I remember he was kind.. he took the time to speak to me, and help me find a book. Told me about the dragon, Glaurung," He smiled as he remembered that detail. "And he didn't treat me like I was stupid for not knowing." He paused, looking into the fire. "Not very many people would bother with an orphan kid, but he was very kind to me."
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

“I remember you saying that you worked on a farm” he commented “and that you didn’t like it.” He added with a smile. “I don’t really remember not doing some sort of work around the farm growing up I guess”

The sudden discovery of his father’s name came as a surprise to Romeran. He wasn’t sure what he had expected but that wasn’t it. For one thing he had assumed his fathers name had been Romeran as he had been told he was named after him. He was slightly dumbfounded and did not speak. When Duinion continued and explained that he had met his father the was even more surprised. From all accounts Duinion seemed an appropriate age. He was old enough to have a teenage daughter and so by consequence likely would have been a young man before Indo had died. It stood to reason given Duinion knew rangers and lived in the city around that time that they could have met, Romeran had never thought of it.

“I never knew my father’s actual name. I assumed his name was Romeran like myself because I had been told I was named after him, but I guess not” he said, rather flatly, still in a state of surprise. As Duinion did, Romeran cleaned and then sharpened his knife as he had used it on the pheasants and the bones, although they were hollow, still caused minor imperfections in the blade which Romeran was keen to remove. He used this as a distraction while he listened to Duinion tell the first story he had ever heard about his father. He began to wonder again what his name meant as most second names in Gondor were epithets rather than names of kinship.

“I am glad that he was kind” Romeran said earnestly. That he had known so little of his father had led him to believe that perhaps the reason he had know so little of him was because he was a bad person or had done something horrible. “The story of the Children of Húrin was always a favorite of mine, but it is a sad story” his mother had been a great lover of tales and had told many to Romeran. Some from books and others from memory. Romeran delighted in the stories which contained dragons and Túrin was a brave but tragic figure. “Thank you for telling me that story, I don’t know any stories about my father” he confessed. His father had been an off-limits subject for reasons Romeran still did not fully comprehend. He had never expected to learn more about his father, but he should have perhaps expected it given that he was joining the rangers and his father had been a ranger, albeit a ranger of Ithilien.

Romeran stoked the fire again and tried to decide how long it had been cooking for, he had become somewhat distracted by the conversation. He decided that it still needed another ten or fifteen minutes before he would check it.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion might have imagined it, but he thought Rome sounded a little disappointed as he said he guessed he wasn't actually named after his father. He shook his head a little. "You were, it would seem. For, he introduced himself to me as Indo Romeran, and told me that he had gained the latter due to knowing the lands in the East." He explained. "But as his name was Indo, that was what I called him for the remainder of our brief conversation. The Romeran part of it had nearly disappeared from my memory... it wasn't something that I focused on, and therefore, it didn't return to my memory until just now."

Hearing Rome speak about how he had no stories of his father, it brought back a familiar sort of ache in his own heart, and he understood far better than most what the young man must have endured, growing up. Wondering. Longing to know something, but having no knowledge. Long ago, he had given up on ever learning anything of his own parents, but at least he could give Rome what little he had learned of his father. He smiled faintly. "The children of Hurin. That was the book he helped me to find, and encouraged me to read." He recalled. "I.. enjoyed it, though I was a bit skeptical at first."

Thinking for a moment, he tried to call up what little he knew about Indo. "When I met him, he was reading a history book," He frowned as he tried to remember which one. "It may have been about the wainriders, if I recall right. He seemed.. a quiet, polite man, and I don't think it was merely because we were in the library." He leaned back against a nearby tree, thinking harder. "I remember I dropped some books, and I thought a librarian would come and scold me, or I thought he might glare at me, but instead, he came and helped me pick them up." He smiled, nodding as the memories of that meeting began to return and clear up. "Yes, I'm remembering it better now. Then he spoke with me for a few moments. It was very brief, but I do believe he was a good man." He suspected that, above all, would be something Rome would like to know.

"I wondered about his accent, at the time, but he didn't say where he came from." He continued. "Only that he had traveled much and knew the Eastern lands better than any others. I remember wondering why anyone would want to go East, since all I knew of the 'East' was that was where many enemies of Gondor are." He said with a light laugh. "This was a couple of years before I joined the rangers. I think I was twelve or thirteen..." After a pause, trying to think of more he might be able to tell Rome, he added, "It's very possible there may be others who are still alive who had met him, and even worked with him." He wondered if Addhor had ever worked with him, and decided he'd ask him about that, if he didn't forget, the next time he saw him.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

A weak smile was all that Romeran could offer to Duinion's remarks about his name. He took solace in that a name given later in life might better reflect who they are than a name given at birth. "The East..." he said wondering, that was a vast place and largely unbeknownst to the free people of Middle-earth. He wondered why his father had gained such knowledge and how? He wondered still at what the meaning of his own name was, perhaps he would have to learn the elven tongue or at least find someone who did. Romeran took to stoking the embers by the food as a way to distract himself from thinking about it. The embers cracked and he stared into the smoldering fire as Duinion spoke. "Enjoying the tale of the children of Húrin I guess is something my father and I have in common" he said, finally in a more cheerful tone. "It's quite a popular story, I suppose, even if it's from a long time ago. My mother used to love telling me stories about the Elves in the First Age but I always preferred the story of Men. But even those stories contain Elves in that age" Romeran didn't have anything against elves, he didn't really know any of them to have anything against them in the first place. But it was hard to relate to something so distant. "Do you know any elves?" Romeran chanced to ask, he was a ranger after all it didn't seem wholly impossible.

"A history of the wainriders?" he asked in repetition "well I suppose they are from the east, form the stories at least" more recent history always seemed a bit dull to Romeran who had preferred the more fantastical stories of the first and second ages. "I'm glad to hear that he was a good man and that he was kind to you." Duinion had no reason to lie and could simply have said nothing, so he felt more assured in it's validity. Romeran sat up more confidently now, his shoulders more upright in comparison to the slouched position he had been in. He still stoked the fire and watched the cast iron pan which he had turned into an oven. The smell of the cooking was beginning to permeate the area and the sizzling of the pheasant fat could be heard above the quiet sound of the embers cracking. Romeran's stomach began to growl again. That it was beginning to smell was both a blessing and a curse, on the one hand it meant that the food was getting close to being done but on the other hand it made him even hungrier.

At the mention of other Rangers knowing his father Romeran wondered if perhaps he should go asking around. It would be hard to restrain his curiosity. He couldn't help but feel like there was something sad which he would find, something which had caused his mother and family not to speak of him, and Romeran wasn't sure if he was ready yet to uncover whatever that mystery was, especially now that his mother had passed. "Thank you for telling me this story of my father" he said, earnestly, "it was a kindness." Romeran's stomach growled again loudly and he decided that it was a good enough signal for him to check on the food. In the central compartment of Romeran's bag he kept a pair of leather gloves, good for warmth and rugged work but also excellent oven mitts. Putting on the gloves, Romeran carefully brushed off some of the coals which he had placed on top of the covered pan. Once the pan was clear he pulled it out of the fire and set it on a fallen log with a sizzle as it touched the dead wood. When Romeran pulled back the lid some steam came out of the pot and along with it the strong smell of the roast pheasant, wild carrots, and groundnuts. To check if the meat was done, Romeran had learned a trick from Sergeant Pete. With the gloves still on, Romeran removed his knife, which he had recently cleaned, from his sheath and inserted it into the thickest part of the breast meat. Clear juices ran from the score and down the side of the meat. The skin of the meat and vegetables had a nice golden brown color from the hot iron pan. "Looks done to me" he said smiling to Duinion.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion nodded quietly in answer to Rome's thanks. His gaze had settled onto the fire, thoughtful as he considered the interesting turn of things. He wished he'd spent more time speaking with Indo, now, so that he could have more to tell his son. It was a little too bad, too, that after he joined the rangers, he never encountered Indo. In fact, it occurred to him that the man might have died around the same time that Duinion joined the rangers, which would explain why he never encountered him on any patrols or missions or anything of that sort. "I'm sorry that I could not tell you more," He repeated softly.

After a little pause, watching Rome take the pan from the fire, he inwardly fought a mini battle with himself. He didn't like to speak of the matter about his own parents, but at the same time, he thought it could help Rome not to feel so alone, if he knew.. after a bit of a struggle inside, he spoke up again. "I thought you deserved to know what I could tell you, little though it was." He explained softly. "I... am very well acquainted with the feeling of not knowing... of wanting to know something.. anything.. about your father." He glanced over at Rome with a faint smile. "I've long since given up ever learning who either of my parents were, and I don't know that I'd want to know now, anyway. But I am glad to have given you some information about your father..."

Clearing his throat, Duinion tried to pull himself from the somewhat sad mood he had begun slipping into, and sat up straighter. "Is the food ready?" he asked, hopeful, trying to put the previous discussion to the back of his mind now. "It smells wonderful." He leaned forward trying to see. "Oh, I wanted to say before it's too late, be sure to save any of the grease. I want to show you something we can use it for." It looked like there was plenty, so they could just keep it warm on the coals while they ate.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

A gentle breeze blew across them as Romeran and Duinion sat and talked over the fire while the food cooked. Romeran had stopped fussing with the fire at this point when Duinion revealed more about himself. “Thank you for sharing with me, both of my father and of yourself. It was a kindness which was not necessary but appreciated” Romeran managed to smile genuinely, it was a sad topic, not knowing one’s parents, but in a certain way that they had something in common was also a comfort. As the breeze wafted the smell of the food over towards where they were sitting Romeran’s stomach growled loudly again.

After checking on the doneness of the pheasant with his knife, Romeran declared the food was ready. “Do you have a plate or bowl?” He asked as he reached for his pack. From within he pulled out his mess kit with a small fork and bowl. The cast iron pan would be too hot to eat from and likely so would to food to eat by hand, at least until it cooled. Using the fork and his knife Romeran separated the cooked pheasant and vegetables and piled some of it into his bowl and motioned for Duinon to do the same. There was quite a lot of food and it smelled delicious, Romeran suddenly didn’t mind having to carry the extra weight of the cooking pan.

“There should be plenty enough for lunch tomorrow, packed in a mess tin or similar. It should keep well enough while we walk” he said, they had caught two pheasants after all. When Duinon mentioned saving the grease Romeran was curious. The grease could be used again for cooking, of course, such as for caramelizing onions, but he had a feeling that wasn’t what Duinion was referring to. “Certainly we can save it. What do you have in mind?” He asked curiously.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"You're welcome," He smiled faintly, feeling glad that it had been of some comfort to the young man. "I don't speak of it often, though it isn't really a secret. It just.. isn't something I like to remember." He paused, thinking of how often, as a child, certain people seemed to delight in reminding him of what he didn't have, that it seemed everyone else did. "Perhaps that's why I've always made sure to have a close relationship with my daughter." He also tried to keep the memory of her mother alive, so she wouldn't forget too much as the years went by, so she would always have some memories of her mother, though it sometimes hurt to remember. He could sort of understand Rome's mother not wanting to speak of Indo, for the sorrow it must have brought to her, but at the same time, he could hardly imagine not ever telling one's child anything about their deceased parent.

Fortunately, the subject changed as Rome asked if he had a plate or bowl. "Oh, yes." He turned to his pack and dug out a battered tin plate, eager to get a portion of food. "This smells wonderful," He declared, eager to try it. "It'll be nice to have a pre-cooked lunch tomorrow, as well." It was very lucky that they'd managed to get both birds, and enough wild carrots and potatoes to satisfy their appetites both tonight and for a meal tomorrow.

Sitting back with his plateful of food, Duinion paused to blow on the hot food before taking a bite. "Mmm," He nodded, appreciating the skill of good cooking. It made camping so much more pleasant when someone in the group could cook well. Rome's question brought a small smile, and he took a moment to finish chewing and swallow before answering. "Well, every time you use an arrow, it's a good idea to 'hone' it the first chance you get afterward. Otherwise, over time, your arrows will begin to warp and then they won't fly straight. So I'm going to show you how to do that, with the arrows we shot today. And we'll use a little grease for it." He explained, figuring that was something the armorer probably didn't know too much about, since smiths didn't usually make the arrows.. only arrowheads, maybe. "We'll do that after we eat," He added, not in any hurry to get through this delicious meal.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Portioning out the food between their plates and what to save was easy enough and Romeran left a whole pheasant for the next day. The covered cast iron pan with coals on top had formed an oven. That had meant that the food had roasted nicely and there was a crisp skin on the outside of the meat and the vegetables which added a pleasant flavor and texture. Romeran’s sharp knife carved through the pheasant with ease as he divided it up into more manageable pieces so that he and Duinon could take some each on their plate. When he was done he motioned for Duinion to begin taking food and Romeran began to help himself as well.

In a different life perhaps Romeran would have been happy as a chef. The flavor of the food was as good as the smell and Romeran ate eagerly. He listened as Duinion described what he was doing to do with the oil. “Hone an arrow?” He asked not sure of the phrase “I would have guessed that it meant sharpening the arrow head but the way you describe it as preventing warping makes me think it has more to do with the shaft?” He continued partially in question but also thinking out loud. Romeran took another few bites as he pondered what honing arrows might involve. For a few moments he forgot the discussion as he found himself heavily focused on eating the food in front of him.

When they were done eating Romeran began to pack up the left over food for the next day. He had a sealable mess tin which would come in handy for such a task. The cast iron pan had been off the fire for some time now and was getting cooler. It would need washing before he would return it to his pack. Even if they got only one cooked meal out of it, although he hoped to use it again, he would have been satisfied. “Maybe you can tell me more about honing arrows as I clean the dishes down by the river; and then you can show me how when we get back?” Romeran asked as he got up and picked up the dishes and began for the river.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"Yes, I think a lot of folks don't hear about that part of maintaining your archery gear. Most of the time, they hear all about maintaining the bow, but not so much about the arrows." Duinion nodded slightly. Finishing his food, he gathered his dishes as well, and followed Rome to the creek, to wash up his own dishes. "It isn't very difficult, but it can take a little while if you have several arrows you need to work on. It's sort of like... a musician, fine-tuning his instrument. You want to 'tune' your arrows to ensure they're properly straight each time you shoot. If they start to warp, it'll throw your aim off, and then each one won't fire the same, and you'll find it much harder to accomplish a good shot. I've known of some archers who would simply buy new arrows when theirs get that bad, but...why should you do that when you can prevent it from happening?"

Running a piece of cloth over the plate, he used it and the flowing water to clean all the remnants from his plate, along with a little sand to scrub it as necessary. "What you do is rub a little grease on the shaft, and warm the wood over the fire... the grease protects the wood from burning, and makes it a little more pliable. Then you use a surface.. a flat stone is what I usually use, but you can use your leg if you haven't got anything else, and just roll the shaft against the surface until you're satisfied with how straight it is. Most of the time, unless your arrows are old and very used, you won't notice much of a curve if any, but it doesn't hurt to get in the habit of doing it, so that they don't get to that point."
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

The temptation to continue eating into their lunch for the next day was strong. But Romeran was no longer hungry at this point and simply enjoyed eating. He resisted the temptation. Romeran finished the rest of his food with relish, cleaning most of the plate before even leaving to wash the dishes. "I guess I had never thought of that, but when you put it that way it seems obvious that you ought to take care of your arrows just as well as you might a dagger or sword" he replied as he picked up his dishes and they made for the creek. They had picked a campsite which was close to the river and it could be heard even from where they were, but it got louder as they approached, even if it was only a small mountain creek. The water was cold as they washed the plates and knives and forks, cold but refreshing. Romeran had heard of tuning an instrument but he was no musician so the analogy was somewhat lost on him, but he didn't mention as much. "I can imagine that having straight arrows would be advantageous" he said with a smile, he hadn't realized that they would warp, but it made sense in hindsight, as a lot of things often did.

"That would be quite expensive, or at least irritate the ranger fletcher with the demands" Romeran wondered if they would eventually have said no if a ranger asked for arrows to frequently, there must have been some limit "and you can't replace your arrows so easily if you're out in the wild" he added thinking himself clever for it. As he had been instructed, Romeran poured the excess oil from the cast iron pan into a small cup which he would have otherwise used to boil water or drink tea. He then washed the pan in the river as he listened. "I see, I was beginning to wonder how the grease came into it, but that makes a lot of sense" he said as they finished up cleaning and made their way back. "I think it might be easier if you show me how first, just to get an idea of what you mean" Romeran said as they arrived back into camp "I'll add some more wood and stoke the fire so that we get a bit of a flame going again" he said, as the fire they had used to cook had already been embers and had since become cooler as they had eaten and washed the dishes. Romeran went to gather some of the extra split firewood from before. "Do you carry any other weapons with you normally, besides your bow of course?" he asked. Captain Pele had been teaching him swordplay and Romeran had noticed many of the rangers carried swords.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

"Yes, it's very important not only to make sure your arrows stay in good shape, but also to make sure you don't lose them," Duinion added. "So if you miss your target, and the arrow is buried in the ground, it may be impossible to find again. Or, for instance, you shoot at a deer, but the deer is only wounded... it may run a long way and take your arrow with it. Not only have you lost an arrow but now there's a wounded animal that's suffering... so that's yet another reason to be sure that your arrows fly straight." He smiled faintly. "I remember once when I was still learning, and shooting at a target about as far away as that tree," he pointed, "I started with ten arrows, and after I'd practiced a while, I missed the target a few times... when I went to collect, I only had nine arrows and could not for the life of me find the tenth arrow... I believe it was almost a month later before I eventually discovered it, buried in the ground.. It was getting toward winter then, so the grass had died and I was able to barely see a tiny bit of fletching. It took some effort digging it up without damaging it." He laughed lightly.

Soon they were back at the fire, and Rome was stoking it back up. "Of course, I was intending to show you how, first." He nodded. It took only a moment to find the arrow he had shot earlier; he'd placed it on the outer edges of the bundle of arrows in his quiver, and there was still a little color of blood on it from the pheasant. "So first, we want to rub down the arrow with the grease. Oil works better but grease is what we have, so we're using that." He explained, doing just that on his arrow, and passed the grease to Rome so he could do the same. "Then we'll hold it over the fire to let it warm up. The goal is to get it more pliable. The grease helps it heat up without drying out or possibly catching on fire... obviously that would ruin the arrow." He grinned.

As he held the arrow over the heat of the fire, he glanced over to make sure that Rome had his done properly, and nodded. "Other weapons?" He smiled and nodded. "Indeed," He shifted to reveal the handle of a dagger at his side, then indicated a matching one at his other side. "If my bow fails me, or I need to fight closer than what I can do with my bow.. these are my backup weapons." He answered. "Aside from those, I also have a knife, much like yours. I haven't had to use it much because I've had you do a lot of that sort of thing, so you get the experience and practice."

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

"So far most of my archery practice has been in the training grounds which are enclosed which makes it easier to find stray arrows" he confessed as it showed his limited experience with archery. He chuckled along with Duinion about his tale of the lost arrow which took a month to locate. It was a funny image thinking of Duinion digging up an arrow which had been stuck in the ground for a month almost like Romeran had been digging up the roots of wild vegetables, he smiled.

When they were back at the fire, Romeran pulled out the arrows that he had brought and specially selected the arrow which he had used earlier to kill the pheasant. Romeran watched as Duinion coated his arrow in the grease. He tried to pay attention to how much grease he had taken so as not to take too much nor too little. When Duinion handed him the grease he removed what he estimated was an appropriate amount. Using two fingers and his thumb he coated the arrow shaft in the grease, it still smelled good which was a peculiar sensation, he also smiled at the irony that the grease of the pheasant that he had killed with this arrow was being used to hone it.

Romeran waited for Duinion to place his arrow over the fire before copying, trying to get an idea of how far from the flame to hold it. After he watched Duinion for a few moments he held his own arrow at a similar height across the fire, opposite from Duinion. He could feel the heat of the flame even from the two ends of the arrow which he was holding. He wondered how long it would take for the arrow to be pliable enough to bend.

"I didn't notice that you had those two daggers, and a hunting knife as well" he remarked, the blades seemed to blend into his person, it helped that they were daggers and not short swords.

"Captain Pele is teaching me some swordplay" Romeran explained "I noticed that many of the other rangers also carry swords of some form" he continued. It would have been impressive for Duinion to have worn a sword all the way up here without Romeran noticing but he wondered perhaps if he had left it at home, but was glad to learn that Duinion appeared to favor a different set of weapons, as Romeran himself wasn't sure whether or not he wanted to carry a sword.

"We roll the arrow on a flat rock you said? How do we know when it's hot enough?" he asked as he was holding the arrow still over the flame and beginning to wonder how they were supposed to tell.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion made sure to let Rome see how he was doing the grease, and then how he held the arrow. "I'm holding it like this, see, to protect the feathered end," he commented, "We definitely don't want those burning up, if we got accidentally too near the fire. And my other hand is mostly there to steady it, but also I feel as if it sort of protects the arrowhead from the fire, too. Or, at least the glue and sinew used to hold it on. We wouldn't want that getting ruined by the heat, after all." He explained, then paused at the question. "It's hard to really tell you an exact way of knowing. It's more something that takes practice," he frowned. "After you've done it a few times you start to get a feel for it, but your arrow needs to be just pliable enough to shape it." He pulled his arrow from over the fire and felt of it before holding it back out for another minute or so. "The first few times you do it, it's a bit like guesswork unless you have someone experienced nearby to help."

After a bit he pulled his arrow away and motioned that Rome should check his. "It ought to feel about like this when it's the right temperature," He held out his arrow for Rome to feel. "It doesn't have to be a stone. It can be a log, if it's smooth enough, or even your leg. But this stone here looks just right," he indicated a nice big stone with a smooth surface. Moving over to that, he showed Rome how to roll the shaft over the surface to check for unevenness in the arrow shaft. "The surface has to also be small enough not to be in the way of the arrow's ends, see, or else the arrowhead would get in the way on one end, and the feathers would throw you off on whether it's rolling smoothly."

He worked his arrow across the surface of the rock for a moment. His arrow was mostly fine, but had acquired the tiniest little curve on one end that he didn't like. While he was working, he gave a smile at Rome's admission he hadn't noticed his other weapons. "I suppose my cloak covered them, mostly." he wasn't that surprised, they were made to blend well against the clothing he wore. "Swords are very popular, I've noticed," he nodded. "But it isn't the only weapon I've seen. Some have a preference for spears, and others like smaller weapons, like the daggers. As far as I've heard, you're free to choose whichever weapon suits you best for your primary, as well as for your secondary weapons. Though, of course, it's good to be reasonably proficient in as many weapon types as you can be." He shrugged. "I had a friend who used a big, two-handed sword. Another preferred daggers, like these. It looks like you may be preferring the ax," He smiled.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

After Duinion commented about protecting the arrow fletching, Romeran quickly shifted his hands so that he was covering the feathers. He had not been holding the arrow close enough to the heat nor was he unlucky enough to get a rogue tongue of flame, but he was glad to have caught his error before accidentally ruining his arrow. Romeran watched Duinion and looked at his arrow. He tried to bend it to see if it was becoming more pliable but it was hard for him to tell. Duinion seemed to agree at least and had returned his arrow to the flame for further heating.

Holding his own arrow with one hand, Romeran reached out and took Duinion's arrow with the other feeling the pliability. He handed it back and compared to to his own arrow. It seemed about the same level of flexibility, reasonable as they had both been in the fire for the same period of time. Getting grease all over his clothes wasn't a particularly appealing idea but he was glad to know that if they were lacking in a log or a rock of sufficient size that they could make something work. Romeran followed Duinion as they made for the stone which he indicated to. "I see. so we're going to roll on the arrow and ensure that it's flat, like you might roll out some dough" he added with a chuckle.

Copying Duinion as best he could, Romeran tried rolling his arrow on the other end of the rock. For the most part the arrow seemed mostly straight but he could feel a slight asymmetry in the roll and he began to understand the value in the exercise. "One advantage of smaller weapons is that they're easier to hide" he said in reference to Duinion's cloak covering his daggers. Romeran nodded his head as he was working on his arrows "Yes, the captain is teaching me how to use a sword and commented as much, that you never know when you might have to use a different weapon" the rangers if nothing else were always prepared.

"I'm not sure about weapons" he said "I haven't had to use them much in actual combat" he continued "but I do like that both the axe and the knife are survival tools first but also function as weapons. The same can be said of the bow where hunting can be critical to survival and the bow can be an unparalleled hunting weapon" as was clearly evidenced by their dinner and their current activity. "I suppose in a pitched battle I would be better off with more than the weapons I carry now" he said with a shrug, he hadn't put much thought into the likelihood of a pitched battle.

Balrog
Image Image
A Blaze in the Northern Sky
The Southern Reaches of the White Mountains

(Private)

Pharâzuri was tired. She was not only tired, but she was exhausted. Her mother had set their pace northward and it had been a frustratingly grueling one. She tried to protest her mother’s unreasonable pace, but her protests fell on deaf ears. Not much, it seemed, had changed in the time they’d been apart. She didn’t try talking to her mother after that. What was the point? Her mother was a woman of her own convictions, and those convictions were the sole thing driving her. On this trip, Pharâzuri noted, those convictions were liable to drive her mother off a cliff. It didn’t feel right for her to worry about her mother; a child shouldn’t have to worry about their parents until they were parents themselves. Pharâzuri worried about the state of her mother’s mental health, but more so she worried about what her mother’s mental health would do to her own. She’d already been forcibly removed from all that she’d felt was safe and comfortable by a sense of loyalty and duty, something Zîmraban had taken for granted, she could only imagine what else she might have compromise on this latest mad sojourn of her mother. There was an intensity about Zîmraban on this trip, a conviction that seemed to both eat her and fuel her. When they stopped, and she only allowed them to stop when there was no light whatsoever, Pharâzuri could see a mad light in her eyes. For nigh on twenty years, she’d been searching for Pharâzuri’s wayward father and now, now it seemed she’d found him, or believed so strongly that she found it that it didn’t matter whether or not she had. Pharâzuri wasn’t sure what she feared more: that she was right, or she was wrong.

“You know you don’t need to wear that mask around me, right?” Zîmraban broke the silence, Pharâzuri looked up and found her mother’s intense eyes boring holes in her. She’d become very conscious of wearing her mask around her mother. While in Dol Amroth, she didn’t feel it, but in the last few days with her mother the weight of the cloth tugged mercilessly at her ears. She had not taken it off, not once, in her mother’s presence.

“I don’t feel comfortable—” she began.

“You don’t feel comfortable around your own mother? What sort of nonsense is that?” Her mother interrupted, snapping viciously. The fire, seemingly in tune with her mother’s mood, popped and snapped as well, spending an array of sparks into the air.

“I didn’t say that; I said I don’t feel comfortable not wearing it around here,” her voice sounded meek and mild in comparison to her mother’s.

“Well, I think it’s foolishness. What happened to you when I was away? You turned into a scared little mouse. I raised you to be better.”

You didn’t raise me at all, Pharâzuri thought but didn’t dare say out loud. “I’ve always been like this mother. I just found a way to function with the mask. It helps me—”

“It doesn’t help you one bit, girl,” Zîmraban interrupted again, “You’ll never get over your problems if you don’t face them.”

Pharâzuri took a deep breath and counted to ten before she spoke, she could feel the anxiety and panic rising in her belly. In no time at all, her mother had ripped away all the things that comforted her and proceeded to beat her with them. “I do face them mother. I face all the time. I face my problems and my fears every time I go out into the streets. I…” her voice trailed off, she could feel hot tears of frustration starting to build and didn’t want her voice to break. It would simply serve as an invitation for more of her mother’s colorful insinuations.

“I want you to stop wearing it. It’s disrespectful to me.”

WHAT?! Pharâzuri simply looked at her mother for a moment, gauging whether or not she was being serious. Of course she was though, Zîmraban had the same amount of humor a ranger had: none. “I, but, how? How am I being disrespectful mother? I’m only doing it so I can feel comfortable.”

“Because I told you to stop wearing it and you are deliberately disobeying me.”

“Mother I’m twenty years old, I need to live my own life.”

“You are living the life I gave you!” Zîmraban shouted, the fire roaring up behind her. Her voice echoed softly in the dark hills. Pharâzuri’s anxiety only heightened.

“Please mother, please don’t make me do that. Please.”

“If I see you wearing that mask tomorrow, I will rip it off your face,” her mother said with horrifying calmness. Pharâzuri, bit her lip. She bit it hard, hard enough that after a moment she could taste something hot and coppery. Zîmraban looked at her, her eyes daring her daughter to challenge her, to test her. Pharâzuri knew better. It was futile to argue with her mother.

She curled up by the fire, wrapped in a thin excuse for a blanket and tried to sleep, tried to forget what she was letting her mother get her into.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion nodded. "That's right, so long as the surface you use is flat, you'll know when the arrow is perfectly straight because there won't be anymore wobble to it." he smiled, working on his half of the stone until his arrow shaft was satisfactory. "There. It didn't need much, because I do this regularly with my arrows. Yours are still fairly new, I believe, so they shouldn't need much honing either. But they'll last you longer, doing this on a regular basis. And," He grinned. "If you want to add to your quiver, instead of buying more, come to me and I'll help you learn how to make your own." Rome had seemed interested in the process of making arrows, so he figured that the young man would probably take him up on that eventually, though probably not for a little while.

Slipping the arrow back into the quiver with the others, he nodded in answer to Rome's other comment. "Yes, that is an advantage to smaller weapons. Another, of course, is that in the forest, you don't have to worry so much about getting your weapon caught on trees or underbrush." He shrugged. "The bigger the weapon, the easier it would be to do that." He mentioned. "And as for a pitched battle... let us hope we don't have any such thing again for many generations to come. But, in case it does... you would want weapons you can use well, no matter what they are." He hoped the kingdom would have many nice, peaceful years, but they would be prepared, just in case.

"Well, we have further to go tomorrow, so we ought to get to sleep now." He paused, thinking for a moment, and smiled faintly. "So, Trainee Romeran. Do you think we ought to set a watch for the night, and why?" He wondered which way he would choose, and wanted to know his reasons for why, either way he chose.

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

Not long after Romeran had begun rolling and had noticed the slight asymmetry did he feel that it disappeared. The heat had made the arrow pliable and the flat surface combined with the weight from the force of the rolling had quickly straightened out the minor asymmetry. “Very useful” he said as he finished honing his arrow and returned it to his quiver. “I would be very interested in learning how to make arrows from you. I think the idea of being self sufficient is appealing” he said in response to Duinion’s offer.

“Yes, I barely notice that I’m carrying my knife and axe and strapped to my pack the small bow is barely noticeable” he agreed “I don’t even really think of them as ‘combat’ weapons so much as survival tools which also function as weapons.” He continued as he had mentioned earlier “But learning how to wield a sword from Captain Pele makes me wonder if I should dedicate more time to a combat weapon.” He nodded his head in agreement though at Duinion’s hope for peace, that he certainly agreed with.

“Well,” he started and stalled slightly “we are only a day’s March from the city do I don’t think it would be unsafe not to have a watch.” He began with. They were close enough that it was unlikely that much truly dangerous of any large scale could get by “but these are less familiar lands than Ithilien forest and the mountains may be home to more dangerous creatures” he reasoned “eventually if we go far enough abroad we will certainly want to have a watch, so we might as well get used to it now?” His last point he figured would hedge against his being wrong about it being a good idea to bet on the safe side in setting a watch this close to the city.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

Duinion smiled slightly. "Come by the farm sometime when you've got plenty of free time, then." he answered. "We've got plenty of feathers now, for the fletching." He grinned, having stored all of the feathers they plucked from the pheasants and stored them in his pack. "Not too many folks have much interest in such a craft, at least none that I've met thus far." He had a nice setup there at the farm, and though he had everything needed for making an arrow, it still took time to construct them.

Listening to his reasoning about whether to set a watch or not, he nodded. "Right, because although we are within a day's hike from the city, we are also.. a day's hike from help." he pointed out. "It's unlikely there would be any orcs around here, but not impossible. There are also animals which could prove dangerous. Wolves, perhaps, or bears, even mountain lions. I doubt that they would mess with us, but it isn't a guarantee that they won't. I feel it best to err on the side of caution." he smiled slightly. "Would you rather watch in shifts, or each take half the night to watch?" he asked, leaving that up to Rome. "I don't mind taking the first watch, either way, unless you'd rather."

He thought for a moment about what Rome said, about dedicating more time to a combat weapon. "What do you consider a combat weapon?" he wondered. "I heard tales of a dwarf who traveled with the King, and slew many, many orcs using naught but his ax. That was his combat weapon, yet I'm sure it also proved very useful when they were building campfires, as you have done with yours." He mentioned. "Just about anything can be used as a weapon, though some things are more suited than others. But really, the main thing is knowing how to use them. A great big sword does little good to you, if you have no knowledge of how to use it, but an ax or a bow in the hands of one who knows how to use it can be very dangerous." He paused. "Or did you merely mean you felt you ought to spend more time learning to use more variety of weapons, or how to use your weapons more effectively?" Duinion inquired, thinking he could have misunderstood.

Balrog
Image Image
The Southern Reaches of the White Mountains, the Following Morning

(Private)

Pharâzuri awoke to the smell of dead campfire ashes. She’d been awaking up to that smoky, earthy scent for days now and each morning she felt like she was going to vomit. The scent crawled insider her nostrils like a hairy spider and began spinning noxious and nauseous webs insider her. She held her discomfort inside, any sign of weakness and her mother, always quick with a biting remark, would pounce and bemoan how weak her daughter had become. Without thinking, she grabbed her mask and hooked it around her ear. There was safety in that ritual, safety from the world and from her mother. An instant later, an echo of last night came to her, the shadowy, distorted voice of her mother telling her she’d rip the mask off her if she saw it again. She pulled it back off and clenched the cloth mask in her fist. She would have to do this without a filter, without the sanctum she’d created so she could deal wit the rest of the world.

Pharâzuri wanted to be angry; she wanted to scream and cry and throw things. She was too worn down and too tired to be angry though. Her anger would do little in the face of her mother’s obsessive indifference. Zîmraban didn’t care if her daughter was in mental anguish, didn’t care that she was the cause, didn’t care that a tiny slip of cloth could make a difference. She saw the world in a way that only Zîmraban could and there was no need to expand or adapt to fit in other opinions or other worldviews. What did it matter when you were right about everything?

The gods did have some mercy for Pharâzuri this morning. Her mother was nowhere to be found. Likely, she was already ahead, scouting the way they’d trek through the mountains. Pharâzuri was left with at least a few minutes of peace before she was enveloped by the storm of her mother once more. The mountains were quiet this morning. The winds were slow so the great cyclopean peaks, peak with white and violet, had little to say about the tiny creatures crawling toward them. As enormous as they were, Pharâzuri felt no fear when she gazed at them. The highest towers in Dol Amroth made her queasy and filled her with anxiety whenever she was due to traverse their lofty, skiey caps. The mountains were different. She’d never been this close to them, she always assumed she would be terrified to scale them or pass underneath them, but now that she was here, now that she was about pass under their elephantine shadows, she felt— peace. Of all things to feel, peace. She chuckled to herself. Maybe she could find a way lose her mother and find a cabin somewhere replete with books, a fireplace, and at least a dozen kittens.

“You’re up,” her mother said, cracking the daydream Pharâzuri like an egg. “It’s about time. We’re not stopping for breakfast. Get your things and… good you’re not wearing that silly mask.”

Pharâzuri sighed, sniffed, then stood up. It was a nice dream while it lasted. She had no idea what her mother had planned, what sort of madcap plan she was going to try and enact, but all Pharâzuri wanted was to find a little cabin to herself.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

"I'll make a point of coming down. I owe Erynn a round of archery as well" he had promised to come down and practice with her after all. "I like the idea of being self-sufficient" he explained as to why he was interested in fletching "I figure if I'm going to carry a weapon I should know how to make it and anything that's a part of it, like arrows." They had lots of tools on the farm, but one thing his uncle had been particularly strict about it was not being reliant on tools and knowing how to build and replace them. It had come in handy over the years as things had broken and Romeran had felt comfortable enough to fix them without having to sacrifice the rest of the day's work.

"Second watch works for me" he said in reply "I'm a morning person anyway, having grown up on a farm, and it doesn't bother me to be up before the sun" Romeran said truthfully, he was already getting tired and the prospect of staying up for half the night to watch made him concerned whether or not he'd make it. By contrast he didn't mind being woken up early to keep watch. He could use the time to review what he had learned, sharpen his knife and axe, etc. Romeran went about setting up his bedroll and blankets for the night. The weather looked fairly clear and he wondered if he should set up the tarp. "Do you think it will rain?" he asked Duinion to see if the elder ranger had a better suggestion.

The bedroll and blanket were already an appealing looking prospect and Romeran was finishing gathering his things when Duionion asked about his earlier remark about combat weapons. He stroked his beard for a moment before responding, letting Duinion complete his thoughts.

"All of them together, I think" he said with a grin "an axe made for chopping and an axe made for battle are very different" Romeran wasn't sure how much Duinion knew about axes and didn't want to seem like he was lecturing "a wood-splitting axe has a heavy almost sledge hammer like head, you split the wood more by force than by sharpness." Romeran had spent hours and hours splitting wood and the axe didn't even need to be particularly sharp to work "but a wood splitting axe would be far too heavy and unwieldy in battle. Battle axe heads are usually much thinner" Romeran held his index finger and thumb apart about the width of a sword "so they act more like a butcher's cleaver than an axe. Obviously they are still top heavy unlike a sword, but a large two handed battle axe is considerably different from a large two handed wood splitting axe" Romeran had seen the axes which the men of Lossarnach had taken to the battle of Pelennor fields. They were impressive in size but Romeran had been surprised to learn how different they were from the axes which he used on the farm. Romeran had always wanted to own a hafted axe like that and he was saving up to get one. "A hafted battle axe would make a fairly poor wood splitting axe, although better than a sword" he added with a smile, plus it was rough work splitting wood and you wouldn't be doing the axe head any favors.

"My hand axe here" he said, pulling out the one-handed axe that he carried "is sort of a hybrid between what would be a one handed fighting axe and a hatchet. The beard" he said pointing to the lower part of the axe head which curved back in quickly towards the haft "is designed to reduce the weight of the axe, reducing the chopping power somewhat but making it less heavy and the blade" he said turning the axe so that Duionion could see the width "is wider than a battle axe but not as wide as a maul, although hatchets usually aren't that wide anyway. The hammer on the reverse side is obviously useful as a tool and you certainly could hit someone with it. But it also acts as a counter weight." Romeran balanced the axe with the bottom of the handle in his palm and the axe standing perpendicular to his outstretched hand, palm up "the balance of the axe head and the straight handle mean that you can throw it quite well." With that, Romeran threw the axe in the air and it spun head over heel towards the tree not very far from Romeran to his right and Duinion's left. The axe buried itself into the tree easily "honestly, it's not that hard, much easier than throwing knives, you can do it with little practice" Romeran waved his hand at the axe as if to suggest that Duinion could give it a try before Romeran retrieved it. "So it's a hybrid weapon and tool, but a battle-axe is really only a weapon and a wood splitting maul is really only a tool, although as you said anything can be used for combat, but like a sword some axes are specially designed for it."

"But also yes, I both think I could benefit from more practice with a variety of weapons. Captain Pele had said that it could happen in battle or otherwise to need to use a weapon of convenience." when the captain had said that Romeran had felt overwhelmed, but the first sword lessons had gone well and he found himself more interested in learning many different weapons. "most of all the last, of all the skills we learn as a ranger I feel like most of the others, scouting, tracking, riding, etc. I have some similar or relevant experience from working and living in a farm and going hunting, but in combat I have very little training or experience" he had practiced archery diligently since he had been initiated as a ranger and spent a great deal of time in the training ground but he had yet to find an instructor for axe fighting, although he had read many of the manuals now that were available for rangers, and his sword fighting lessons had only just begun.

Steward of Gondor
@Romeran

About a day's hike in the foothills of Mt. Mindolluin

Smiling, Duinion nodded slightly. "I'm sure Eryn will enjoy that. She doesn't have many people to talk with, especially not those around her own age." He sighed softly, that was one thing he did feel bad about for his daughter, but she always assured him that she would rather have it this way, than to live in the city. He wasn't sure if she would feel differently, if she had grown up in the city, but at least she was near enough to run errands and things, now that she was old enough to do so on her own. "She seems to have befriended another young ranger, I believe you met him before.. Unalmis." He paused, thinking of how Unalmis seemed so much like his uncle, Domanol. "I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, actually." He laughed, thinking of all the mischief Dom and himself used to get into together. "Anyway, I know she would enjoy having you come back. I believe she liked you, as far as wanting to be friends."

He stood and stretched, taking a look up at the sky and around at the trees as Rome asked if he thought it would rain. "I don't think it will, though I have been known to be wrong." He answered after a moment. "If you'd rather not take the chance, you could make a quick, low shelter out of it. Just a simple A-frame thing, and sleep under it. Just string some rope from one point to another, about how high you want it, and then pin all four corners to the ground, and put your bedroll under it." He suggested. "If it rains at all, I doubt it'll be any heavy rain, or I would have noticed some sort of indication by now." He paused, then added, "If you'd like, I can teach you a few signs to look for, so you'll know what to expect, weather-wise, in the future."

He listened, nodding slightly as Rome spoke about the differences in axes. At least the young man knew plenty about them. Duinion had used axes for chopping wood before, but had actually done very little with them as a weapon. He waved a hand slightly, indicating he was declining to try ax throwing, though he was a bit impressed by Rome's doing so. "I've only had a few lessons with an ax as a weapon, I couldn't really help you much as far as that goes," he told him. "But I do hope you can find someone to train you." He grinned. "Perhaps you could seek out the dwarf friend of the king's, and ask for some lessons." He joked. "I heard he is quite the expert at felling orcs with his ax. But for now, I suggest you get some sleep, and I'll wake you when it's time to switch."

Balrog
Image Image
The Southern Reaches of the White Mountains, a Few Days Later

(Private)

The next few days were much the same as the days previous, neither woman talked to the other, allowing the deep, mountainous silence to settle between them. The world slowly morphed from green and grey to grey and white as they followed the roads deeper into the mountains. And not a single soul did they see passing in either direction. Pharâzuri felt naked without her mask, worse she felt like she was missing an essential part of her being. Each day she went to put it on, but the ringing voice of her mother ripped it off her and forced her to clench it in her fists. She would not get rid of it, no matter what her mother said. As long as she couldn’t see it, she couldn’t spew negativity at her. Pharâzuri could feel them moving up as they travelled, the air became colder and thinner with each passing day. She looked behind her on more than one occasion, saw the city she’d left become a smaller and smaller gem on the shores of the sea until it vanished into a blur of blue and green. It broke her heart. What were the chances she would be able to go back once this whole thing was over? A deep, slow burning anger began to build up in her toward her mother, a serpent slowly coiling about her the further they went and the longer she was away from anything she considered home.

They came upon a stream and followed it toward its source: a picturesque blue and purple waterfall capped with brilliant white. The fog was heavy that morning, heavy enough that even Zîmraban’s obsessive nature was delayed. There was nothing for it but to stay by the waterfall until the fog cleared. Pharâzuri did not relish trying to walk in mysterious mountain paths with naught but a few feet between her and impending doom. The waters were cold, frigid really, but they felt good, nonetheless. The iciness chill reawakened her aching muscles and soothed her, the weariness that had begun to settle into her fled like a rat from the light.

To her shock, her mother joined her, sitting on the bank of the little pond, dipping bare feet into chilly waters. Neither of them said a word to one another, Pharâzuri was too shocked to respond and Zîmraban seemed to have her mind elsewhere. The entire world was encapsulated in a bubble of grey silence, lit by an unseen sun. Aside from the eternal sound of the waterfall, there was not a sound to be heard, no birds, beasts, or the whisper of another person. If there was a place Pharâzuri could have stayed forever, this place would have been it. There was a sweet promise of solitude there, a place inaccessible to most, far enough from the beaten path that no one would think to come looking, and quiet enough that she could finally stop and think.

After some time, the tendrils of fog showed no sign of abating, Zîmraban went to her horse and produced two things that looked like they might be fishing poles. Wordlessly, she handed one to her daughter and sat back down, dipping her feet back into the icy water. “I thought I saw something shimmering over there by the waterfall,” she said after a moment, pointing to where the deep purple shadows began to give way to the sapphire water around it. “I thought we might be able to catch something to eat.”

Did she remember? Taking a hold of the fishing pole, Pharâzuri was instantly brought back to a time when things were less adversarial and complicated. The waters changed and the sunlight increased. She and her mother were sitting by the docks in Dol Amroth, in summer, dressed in big straw hats that shielded them from the sun. They were fishing then too, with poles of sturdier construction. She was a barely old enough to sit on her own without tumbling, her hair was bouncy and golden, shimmering and molten in the sunlight. They were laughing and laughing, a fish had just taken the bait from her mother’s pole, and they were trying to pull him in, but he was a fighter and would have pulled them both in but for Pharâzuri’s quick thinking to throw a rock at him. She hugged her mother and her mother told her what a smart girl she was and how proud she was of her. Neither of them cared about anything else in the world in that moment, it was just them.

Pharâzuri missed days like that, days that her mother was her mother. It had been so long ago, but it was indelibly marked on her soul. Once upon a time, she and her mother loved each other more than anything else in the world and nothing mattered to them but making sure the other was happy. They seemed like myths now, stories she told herself at night when her mother seemed particularly cruel or unkind. Things were not always as they were and one day they might return to that nostalgic place, quiet and warm beneath a Dol Amroth sun. She felt safe in those days, her mother loved her and protected her. She was a quirky child, but her mother refused to let anyone belittle her or tease her because of it. The fiery spirit of Zîmraban had been turned in her defense. What a change that seemed now, a fairy tale told by a child who didn’t understand. Was that ever true? Did her mother love her at all or were all these memories just a way to cope with the fact that no one ever loved Pharâzuri?

“Do you remember when we used to fish in the city? When I was younger?” she asked, finally breaking the silence.

“I do,” her mother responded.

“Do you remember the day we caught that big one? I think it was a sea bass or something. He nearly pulled you in, but I threw a rock at him and it stunned him just enough for you to pull him in.”

There was a ghost of a smile on her mother’s face, something she hadn’t seen in a very long time. “I do. That sea bass fed us for nearly a week, didn’t it?”

“I miss those days,” Pharâzuri said, not really thinking about it.

“I do too,” her mother said, sighing.

“This is nice at least,” Pharâzuri said, reaching out to touch her mother’s hand.

“It is,” Zîmraban agreed.

Her line snagged and bent and suddenly the once pristine, placid waters erupted in ripples bursting from every corner. “Oh, here we go now. Looks like we’re having something tasty for dinner. Zuri, get a rock ready just in case.”

Istari Sage

Ranger Trainee Romeran
@Rillewen

"Well I shall make a point of coming back then" he said in conclusion. Romeran unrolled the tarp that had been strapped to his pack. Rolled inside the were some simple metal stakes and a thin roll of rope both of which could be used to construct a frame as Duinion had described. It was worth the practice anyway. A couple of nearby trees made for a good set of columns to tie the rope to and rest the tarp over it. Romeran securely tightened the coil of rope to the trees at about chest height. At that height it would have been wide enough when pulled out for Romeran to sleep on one side and Duinion the other without having to pack up a bedroll in the middle of the night or if it rained in the middle of the watch.

"I would very much be interested in learning to read the signs of weather change and rain. Some of the farmers were very good at telling when a rain or drought was coming, but it always seemed a bit magical to me" he explained as he pinned down the tarp at he ends to the ground with the metal stakes. The were light enough and useful beyond the pinning of tarps that Romeran brought them usually even if he could have carved a suitable set of stakes from some sticks. "Rain or not, the tarp might provide a bit of shelter from the cooler wind now that we're getting further up the mountain side" he said, finishing up the shelter.

When Duinion indicated he wasn't interested in trying out his throwing axe, Romeran gave a small shrug and got up to remove it from the tree. It came out easily as he ratcheted the axe up and out of the hole it hat created. With his other hand he wiped some of the wood splinters from the axe head and returned it to his hip sheath, covering the axe head with the little leather sheath so that it wouldn't accidentally nick him as he moved around. "I hope to find a member of the Peleconner some time, or perhaps a weapons master to teach me." Romeran hadn't had the chance to meet any of the axe-wielding rangers and wondered if perhaps many of them had retired. "But I have plenty of other things to learn, so I'm not exactly at a loss for things to do" he continued, in truth he hadn't had much time yet to seek a master in that area and was content to progress in the areas where he was already receiving direct instruction.

"I'll see you for the watch hand over then" he said to Duinion taking off his belt and the weapons on them and laying it aside next to his bedroll which he had stretched out onto one side of the partial 'tent'. Romeran laid down on his bedroll and pulled up the wool blanket, using his back pack as a pillow and his wool cloak as a spear blanket but was currently being used to make his make-shift pillow somewhat softer. Romeran was tired and yawned deeply "I hope you have a quiet and pleasant watch" he said closing his eyes.