The Spring Festival

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Esquire of The Mark
Image Image
Wulf & Melahny
Melahny noted that Athelstan's mood brightened. He giggled, maybe slightly deliriously, but at least he kept seated for the time being. When Athelstan said he probably had had enough drink for now, she privately agreed. Not that he seemed overly drunk or anything--but she felt it was probably best he didn't get drunk, after seeing how clumsy he was. She'd hate to see him stagger away, fall, and get trampled by a horse. Sadly, that was a common occurrence for one of Wulf's buddies.

Wulf chatted about Old Eadlida's cordial for a few moments, "Ah, yes, lad I have tasted it." Wulf fell into silent reminiscence, until he realized that he wanted more mead. "Well, I'm off. So long as you two are well now? Feel better son, and cheer up, you're not the first man to have a tumble at a public event. Take Aelfwin! He gets trampled by a horse every time he drinks more than two pints!"

Melahny laughed and waved goodbye to her uncle, who set off for the desert table after picking up a goblet of mead.

Melahny turned back to Athelstan and told him, "Hmmm, I'm not sure how long I'll stay. I'm looking for a new horse, and if I get one who needs a bit of training I'll stay with Wulf until she's travel-ready. After that, I think I'll go to Gondor to trade. If you ever want to see Minas Tirith, I'd be happy to guide you around."
And whither then? I cannot say...

Balrog

Athelstan’s eyes opened wide. He’d hoped to be clever, mention wanting to see Minas Tirith then casually ask if she was looking for an apprentice or something (did merchants even have apprentices? Athelstan had no idea, but it sounded right) and get himself invited on a trip. Clearly, though, Melahny was cleverer than him, that or he was not quite as subtle as he believed it was (likely it was both). He closed his mouth quickly, a gaping mouthed dunce was not a good apprentice, merchant or otherwise. He sat up straight, or at least as straight as he could manage without causing him a new wave of pain, and did his best to look serious.

“I would be honored, ma’am. Perhaps I could, well, perhaps I could be a guard, I’m passable with a sword and I’m tall enough to look intimidating, or maybe as, uh, as an apprentice?”

There. He’d said it. It was out in the open now. He’d seen a way out of horseshoes and motherly eyerolls and he took it. He’d felt a horde of butterflies railing against his stomach before he’d spoken, but now that he had, his stomach settled and a serene calm, of a sort, settled on him. He did his best to look like a merchant’s prospective apprentice or a guardsman, landing likely somewhere in between (or outside altogether as he had no idea what either of those sorts of expression were).

"I promise I'm not as clumsy as I look, really." he added, feeling it necessary to assuage the mumak in the room.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Esquire of The Mark
Melahny
Melahny smiled at Athelstan's enthusiasm. She thought he tried to hide it but she could see the gleam of excitement. So he wanted to try his hand at travelling, did he? Melahny sat in silence for a few moments, considering his offer to be a guard or apprentice. She wasn't sure how to train an apprentice exactly... but she could certainly show him what the merchant's life was like. And then, she supposed, he could decide whether he was suited to it or not.

"Hmmm... apprentice," Melahny began. "So you are eager to leave your life here? I'd be happy to show you how I live and make my living, but you must know, Athelstan, it is not an easy life. There is often trouble on the road, and haggling prices with other merchants is no simple task, either. If you're certain you want this, you can accompany me to Minas Tirith, and I'll show you what I do."

"But first," she added, "I need a new horse, and so will you. Don't worry, we'll find you a gentle horse with an easy temperament."

Balrog

Was it possible to feel elation and horror in the same moment? Athelstan had not been sure of that until this exact moment (mostly because he’d never even given that particular combination of emotions a thought until just now) but he was quite now that it was not only possible but highly likely. He was ecstatic about the prospect of getting to travel beyond the vantage point of Edoras but at the same time he was terrified, no mortified, of having to ride a horse. It made sense, he told himself, that he would have to ride a horse. Melahny said she didn’t have a wagon and travelling by foot was perilous and slow even in the best of times. Horses were a must, even if they were a nightmare. He almost laughed at his inward joke.

“I feel like I’m being wasted,” he said honestly. “As much as I love it here in Edoras, I feel like there’s something missing.” Athelstan was never much of a poet or a scop and was often as clumsy with emotions as he was with his feet, but he was already halfway down the rabbit hole now, might as well see what was on the other end. “I don’t know if travelling abroad will give me any sense of peace or that I’ll find what I’m looking for, but I know it will be that much harder to find it if I stay here shoeing horses with my da and nephews all my life.”

“There’s nothing wrong, of course with shoeing horses,” he added hastily. “It’s a very important thing to learn and I’m glad I’m good at it, but I feel like a puzzle piece that just doesn’t quite fit all the way, like there’s a gap between what I am and what I’m supposed to feel. Does that make any sense?”

What exactly was Athelstan doing? In the back of his mind he was looking at himself in curious bewilderment. He was sharing oddly intimate details about himself to a stranger. Sure, she seemed nice and welcoming, but what in Bema’s name made him decide now was the time to spill his guts? Surely he was overburdening her as well? He really did need to learn the art of normal conversation, chit-chat as some called it.

“Well, as long as we don’t find me a night mare, I’m sure I’ll be able to make due.” He grinned. Did that joke sound as good out loud as it did in his head? Oh honey…
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Master Torturer
Æric

"She has gotten so big.."

The soft voice could barely be heard, yet it stopped his heart. A shiver of dread ran the length of his spine as an invisible fist grabbed at his gut and threatened to rip it out. It couldn't be..

Maybe if he closed his eyes and did not turn around she would disappear. He squeezed his eyes shut and sent out a desperate prayer to the Valar, begging them to ensure that nothing bad would happen, that she was not here for Edda. Mind running as fast and crazy as his heart, Æric finally managed to turn around, his heart sinking as he saw she was still there.

"What do you want, Eadith?" Tears pressed angrily in his eyes, though he refused to let them fall as he blinked his eyes dry.

Only then did he really look at her, seeing the small child she was holding in her arms, fast asleep under her long cloak with just the red hair peeking out. His jaws clenched, knowing this must be the child she had had with the man she had run off with.

Instead of answering she sighed wearily as she readjusted her hold on the child in her arms.

"I.." She looked like she did not know what to say, or how to say it, her wet green eyes flicking back and forth between her husband and her daughter.

Afraid that Edda might come over, Æric moved from the fence and headed back to the table he had left only a few minutes ago. Eadith had hesitated for a moment, watching her daughter for a moment longer before she turned and followed Æric to the table. She carefully squeezed into the seat opposite him, shifting the small girl into her lap. From what Æric could see the girl was barely two, beautiful just like her mother and half-sister. Half-sister.. Æric felt the blood drain from his face as he locked eyes with the mother of his child.

"You are not taking her. I won't let you.." Eadith was shaking her head even before he finished, raising a slender hand to stop him.

"I have not come to take her.."

"What then? Money?" he thought of the small savings he had, the savings he was going to have to use to build the barn for the horse. There was not enough for him to pay off Eadith as well as build a barn, his mind already trying to figure out how to come up with more money.

"No.. no I am not here for money either.."

"Well what then??" He asked, exasperated and desperate for her to leave before Edda saw her.

"Wait, you don't expect me to take you back, do y--"

"No! It's just.. ugh, just let me get my thoughts straight for a minute. It was hard enough to come here."

He could see she was struggling with her emotions, yet he could not find it in his heart to feel sorry for her. She had chosen to leave them, afterall.

Drawing in a deep breath, she seemed like she was finally ready and pulled out a thin scroll from her bodice. "It's uh.. this is a legal document.. um.. one that will end our marriage. I need you to sign it..."

Æric looked like he had been struck by lightning, eyes wide, his whole body frozen in place. This was what he had been wanting, even if it wasn't something he had put into words. Yet now that it was happening, all he could feel was deep sorrow and a sense of failure.

Esquire of The Mark
Melahny

Melahny listened respectively as Athelstan talked about the reasons for his desire to depart Edoras. She understood what he meant, quite well. She loved Edoras, she loved training and gentling horses with her parents and then Wulf, after her parents died. But she did not want to stay in one place doing the same thing forever. That's why she was happy she'd acquired a medley of skills over the years. With her background in horsemanship, she could train, work with horses on behavioral issues; with her mother's healing skills she learned how to treat basic injuries, infections, and such. Her father and uncle had taught her to fight with sword. From her years on the road she'd learn how to hunt with a bow, and to defend herself. Through her main occupation, she'd learn how to barter, haggle, and trade. She could see a lot of potential in Athelstan. He already knew how to shoe horses, and so almost anywhere he travelled, he could easily find work. This was important, as the income from trading varied greatly, and you could not count on it solely. That's why Melahny often took stable jobs, or work with horses throughout her wanderings, as well as living off the land, by hunting and gathering her own food. And of course, if she was ever in real trouble, she could head to Edoras for support.

Melahny waited until Athelstan was finished speaking and she told him, "Yes, it makes sense! I understand perfectly. You may have itchy feet, as my father used to call it. You don't want to stay in one place forever. It's just how I felt before I went out on my first adventure."

Then Melahny laughed at his corny joke and said, "No no, no "night mares", I promise. We'll find something suitable. And you know, after Minas Tirith, if you decide the travelling merchant life suits you-- you could set yourself up with a wagon and horse, or donkey. You could even go by foot. It's up to you. But for now, when you accompany me to Minas Tirith, unfortunately, you will have to go horseback, because I'm buying a new horse to travel with, and I don't have a wagon. Do you think you'll be alright to Gondor, or do you want some lessons before we go?"

Master Torturer
Æric with Eadith

He did not notice how his hands were trembling as he took the offered scroll. Mind reeling, he slowly unfurled it. There was no denying the contents of the scroll, it clearly stated that the marriage was to be disolved, effective immediately. A line at the bottom was made for his signature, the other opposite already holding the signature of his wife. No, not anymore. His feelings were just as jumbled as his thoughts, finding it hard to decide whether he was happy, relieved, sad or angry. But truth be told, he was likely all of them, including feeling like he was a failure.

All he had ever wanted was to have a family and build his own business and for a brief few months he had had that. He should have know that the family life was not for Eadith, she was far too adventurous to settle down. Especially seeing as all she had ever talked about was leaving the small village they lived in and explore the world. Him, not so much. He was a home-body through and through, especially since the fateful raid that had left him covered in scars. The memories of that night still tormented his dreams and sometimes even his waking moments. At least she did not have to be subjected to his cries of terror in the dead of the night anymore, she had never cared for that, unable to handle talking him back down.

She quietly passed him a quill and he took it from her feeling numb. His eyes searched for any sign of regret, of wanting to take the scroll back. But even though she was holding her breath, he could see in her eyes that she wanted this to be over. Swallowing the hard lump in his throat, he placed the scroll on the table and scribbled his signature. His teeth clenched with anger as she let out the breath with relief. She could at least be a little upset he thought to himself when he saw her hesitating again.

She better not ask to talk to Edda, he thought as his eyes darted to their daughter to make sure she was not choosing this moment to head over.

She guessed his thoughts, something she had always been uncannily good at. "Like I said, I am not here for her.."

"Then what? What else is it you want? I can see you are wanting to ask me for something. If it isn't Edda or money, then what?" He threw his hands out in frustration, his heart aching.

"I.. uh.." Flustered her face went red, her eyes darting around to see if people were looking. "I umm.. met someone." Her eyes were downcast, avoiding the 'I know you have' look he was giving her. "Someone else.." she added so softly he barely heard her.

"What? Someone other than the ice man or whatever his name was? You got pregnant with him and left him too?" He felt no pity as she cringed at his words, his mouth open with disbelief.

She shook her head slowly, tears forming in her eyes. "I never found him again, he doesn't even know I.. I.." she looked down at the sleeping child in her arms. "He doesn't even know he has a daughter."

It suddenly dawned on him, his eyes going wide and his mouth opening even more. "You are pregnant, again. Aren't you.."

There was no compassion for her as she seemed to shrivel, avoiding his accusatory eyes. He did not need to see her faint nod to know he was right, anger burning his cheeks.

"He has asked me to marry him" she added feebly, still not able to look at him.

"And you accepted? This is why you needed the divorce? So you can go and get married again?"

She nodded slowly, biting into her lower lip as she still avoided looking at him.

"And why tell me this? What on earth made you think that I would want to know that? Wait.. Oh no you don't!" He suddenly pushed off the bench, taking a few steps back and almost stumbling as his foot caught. "Don't you dare, Eadith!"

She was sobbing now, still looking down at the little girl in her arms. "He doesn't know about her.." she said softly, one trembling hand brushing a stray curly lock of fiery red hair away from the child's face.

"You can't just leave her here! You are her mother!"

"I have no one else to ask! Please, Æric!" She wiped away the tears with a frustrated flick. "I have no money, nowhere to live. We would be living on the streets! I promise I will come back for her, once we are settled. Please Æric, please.."

Master Torturer
Æric with Eadith

Unbelievable.

The shock on his face was bound to draw attention and he fought to reign it in.

The audacity of his wife, no ex-wife astounded him. How could she ask this of him? How could she ask him to take on her love child only to run off and do it with someone else? What if she did not make it with this next guy? Would she come dump the next child on him too?

Eadith saw his head shake and sobbed. "Please, I have no one else I can ask. I cannot bare the thought of her growing up in an orphange.. With you she will be loved.." She added the last words hoping it would be true.

Æric's jaw dropped even further. "Orphanage!?" He yelled a little too loudly, eyes darting around to make sure no one heard. "You would put her in an orphange?! How can you do this? You are her mother!? How can you just leave her behind?" He did not know if he was talking about Edda or this little girl.

"And come back for her?!" He continued as he stepped closer, hissing out the words and making her cringe.

"So you would tear her world apart, twice!? Just so that you can marry some guy?"

He had been leaning towards her, struggling to keep his voice lowered, his hand angrily waving at her with each word. Pushing out a disgusted breath he stood straight in front of her and went silent, his eyes boring into the woman he had loved with all his heart.

"You.. disgust me."

Eadith cringed even more at his words, sobbing as she leaned towards the child and unwittingly woke the little girl. "Sshhhh.." she said through the sobs as she rocked the child in an attempt to get her to fall asleep again. But the girl was having none of it, pushing with both arms to release herself from her mother's grip as well as the cloak she had been snuggled into.

Æric's heart leapt in panic as the child woke, feeling guilty for his part in it. As the girl pushed herself into a seated position and rubbed an eye, his heart skipped several beats. It was like looking at Edda as she had looked at this age, his heart aching.

His teeth ground hard against each other, his jaw working to bite back the comments he had for her and instead said in a cold voice, "You get a document signed that signs them both over to me. And then, I never want to see you again. Ever."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie

Erynneth
Horse stall area

Light auburn hair streamed behind her, caught in the wind. It was easy to imagine, racing across the field, that they were the only two creatures in the whole world. A grin was stuck on Eryn's face as she clung to the horse's back. Buterecuppe seemed just as eager to run freely in the field as Eryn liked to do, at home. The mare had probably been kept cooped up in that stall all day, poor thing. Once clear of the fences, Eryn had let her run as fast as she wanted. The fee that was asked, for riding the horse, was well worth it, she decided. As the pair rounded a tree which the man had said was as far as she should take the horse, Eryn gently eased the horse back into a trot. After a moment, she slowed her further to a walk, hoping to delay the inevitable; arriving back and letting the owner put her back in the stall. Sadly, she didn't really have enough money to pay for another ride on the horse, so she wanted to make the most of it while she could.

Reluctant to return just yet, Eryn leaned forward and hugged her neck lightly, though the saddle seemed like a barrier preventing her from leaning forward fully. "I wish I could take you home. If you were mine, I'd probably never put a saddle on you, either. I bet they're heavy." She murmured, sighing. If only she'd brought more money... if only she HAD more money. "I bet you'd like it there. We have lots of big fields to run in. There's cows, but they wouldn't bother you, and we have another horse, too." She sat up, stroking the blond mane gently. She sighed, imagining how amazing it would be if this horse was hers. "I wonder how you'd like it in Gondor." She spoke softly, though she knew the horse wouldn't understand her. She patted her side lightly. "I guess we'd better go back." She said, heavy-hearted to remember that she had to return the horse. It might have been her imagination, but Buterecuppe seemed a bit reluctant to return, as well. Somewhere nearby, she noticed the little girl happily riding the other horse, staying close to the stalls.

After climbing out of the saddle, Eryn trailed her hand along the horse's shoulder as she came around to the front, stroking her neck. "She's a wonderful horse," She told the owner, laughing as the horse nuzzled her shoulder. "Sorry. I can't," She whispered to her, sliding her arms around her neck lightly. "You're so sweet. I'd love to bring you home with me, but I can't." She told her regretfully, although she was definitely going to be telling her dad and friends all about this beautiful, wonderful horse she had met. At least with Nal and their new friends, she could show them in person when they came to find her! She glanced around past the horse, looking to see if they were on their way over.

That was when she heard a brief shout that caught her attention, though she couldn't make out the words. It sounded like someone was angry, it didn't take long to spot a woman that was crying, and a man who looked very upset. Eryn frowned, moving toward the fence making up the stall as she wondered whether the woman needed help... having no idea about the situation, she was worried that the man might be violent or something. Where was Nal? She took another look around for him, thinking the woman might need protecting, though Eryn didn't really feel qualified for that, personally.

(Noticing your dispute over there, @Winddancer lol)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Chief Counsellor of Gondor

Unalmis Raxëlilta
with Xyler, Hadassa and Erynneth
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Mundburg,Unalmis gave his best interpretation of how Hadassa had pronounced the word. “That’s what you call our Minas Tirith, in Rohirric, isn’t it ?” He was about to protest Xyler’s insistence on paying for the badger burgers, when Hadassa dropped her revelation about being chased off from her village and almost killed by cavalry. While the Gondorian could agree with his new friends that his once being poisoned in Rohan might have been an accident, it did sound as though the woman’s trials in Rohan had been rather more certainly deliberate.

When the woman explained about having Dunlending blood, Unalmis was, like Xyler, quite curious about Hadassa’s choice to be loyal to Rohan. Not that it was a subject that would have been polite to press. But the woman was very open with her story, and the explanation of having been raised up from a baby by Rohirrim did dispel all curiosity on why she would count herself as one of them. It was a shame that not all of her adopted countrymen could understand. And the Gondorian was forced to wonder what it would be like to have Umbarians or the like suddenly declaring their loyalty to Gondor now that the war was done with … He was not sure how that would be received by some of the people who had spent their whole lives fighting such folk, and could only conclude that Hadassa was extremely brave.

We do have some horses, in the countryside,” he pointed out when queries were made as to his own country, “but not very many in the cities. Except those to pull carriages and things. Eryn has seen many more horses than I have, but apparently not enough to satisfy her. Maybe you’re right and she is part Rohirrim. In spirit at the least,” he laughed. It was uncanny though, given his friend's unusual colouring, her father's vague origins .. maybe there was an element of truth to their jest. Who could really say ?

The badger burger which he was soon after handed was, as promised, like nothing he’d ever seen before. And the Gondorian could practically feel the eyes of his new friends upon him, as he dared to taste the local delicacy. “Well it’s not bad, by any means,” he conceded, and took another bite to prove he spoke the truth. “In fact it is so unusual, each bite insists I take another, to try and better understand the flavour in a way I can describe. Better get this one to Eryn though before she rides off and forgets about us all ..” he grinned. They were already heading toward the horse stall area, when an abruptly loud shouting couple inspired Unalmis to find a new burst of speed, lest the young girl had gotten caught up in some kind of trouble.

Fortunately the missing member of their own small party was both close at hand, and apparently not a part of the neighbouring dispute, Unalmis soon was stood beside Eryn. “Did you find a bridle that you liked ?” he asked, as soon as he stood close enough to distract her from the upset. “Come see what Xyler has got for you ! And Hadassa is in the cavalry, Eryn ! She was just telling us ..
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Master Torturer
Æric and Eadith

Every muscle in his body trembled with anger as his glare bore down on the woman before him. Fists clenched under the table he worked on slowing his erratic breathing as he waited for her confirming nod. He did not care for her tears, he wanted her to cry. He wanted her to be in pain. How could any parent just up and leave their child?! The fact that she was going to be doing it to two innocent girls made him sick to his stomach.

Swallowing hard, his eyes darted around and briefly caught the look he was getting from a young woman stood by the horses. Shame, guilt and anger was evident in his eyes, brief as his look had been before he turned away, his head dropping as he looked at the fists in his lap. With a heavy sigh he eased them open. As furious as he was he would never in a million years hurt Eadith.

The girl slapped the table and babbled about food, his eyes rising to her as Eadith gathered her cloak around them and awkwardly got up. He did not have it in him to look at Eadith when she hesitated, his eyes returning to his hands. Hearing her soothe the child with the promise of food as she walked off, he placed his elbows on the table and leaned his face into his hands, fighting the urge to cry.

"Papa!" His body tensed, quickly wiping at his wet eyes.

"Is this mine?" Edda queried, already downing the juice he had gotten earlier in big gulps.

Finally able to look at his girl, he pulled her into his lap and gave her a tight hug. "Uuugh Papa! You are squishing me!" she said with a giggle. Easing the hug just slightly, he leaned in and smelled her hair as he closed his eyes. As if sensing his need to be close to her, she cuddled in and returned the hug.

"You ok, Papa?" She asked, his heart aching.

"I am fine, darling. I uh.. got something to tell you though.."

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen , @Ercassie

Hadassa

Much of her effort this far had been focused on making her life in the Riddermark work out, and she had not even thought of travelling elsewhere; however, now her interest was sparked even despite reality of not having means to go much further than the nearest villages.

She walked along thoughtfully and munched on the burger, savouring each bite. The contented eating was halted for a while when their search for Eryn brought them close to some sort of argument. She was unwilling to get involved unless very necessary, but she still observed the situation until it seemed to her that it was reasonably sorted by the involved parties themselves. So she turned her attention back to the company she was a part of.

"What did you find?" she added her own question to that Unalmis had already posed to Eryn.

Esquire of The Mark
Melahny
After speaking to Athelstan for some time, Melahny bade him goodbye for now, and headed towards the horse paddock. She wanted to get a look at the young horses for sale this spring, as she needed an equestrian for her travels.

She walked to the fields and leaned against the wooden fence, gazing out at the beautiful horses. A stableboy walked by and Melahny stopped him for a second, asking if she could speak to the owner of a striking mare she saw. The horse was tall and elegant, with a dark chocolate body, and blonde tail and mane. The boy went to fetch the breeder, and a man named Elwin arrived to speak to her. She recognized him and exchanged pleasantries.

"Are you selling that beautiful brown horse with the light mane?" Melahny asked.

"I might be," Elwin said evasively.

Melahny smiled. This man was open to bargaining. She could tell; she knew all the tricks and tells of haggling, trading, and (in order to avoid it) swindling. But she knew Elwin's reputation from Wulf, and he was an honest tradesman, as was she.

"Let's talk over some ale," Melahny suggested. "I'd like to meet this mare and see if her temperament suits my needs."

"Very well," Elwin said. "My stableboy will fetch us some drink and you can meet her. She's a lovely horse, really. But a bit spirited, for being young."

"Energetic?" Melahny asked.

"Yes, very."

Good. She would need a horse with energy for the leagues they would travel.

After spending some time drinking and talking, Melahny met the mare that Elwin simply referred to as Mare. Mare was certainly energetic, but not overly excitable. She was gentle, and gratefully ate an apple from Melahny's hand. Melahny took a ride around the paddock and decided that "Mare" might just be the horse for her. She looked at the other horses too, but by the end of the day she came back to the field and gave Elwin an offer. They haggled back and forth for a while, until they agreed at a number that was just about what Melahny had wanted to pay (though she'd kept that sum in her mind). They shook hands, and Elwin agreed to keep Mare in his stables until Melahny was ready to leave, which would be about a week. Soon she would be off on another adventure! She just had to come up with a name for Mare.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion @Winddancer
|
Erynneth ..... | ...... Xyler......

Xyler grinned as the Gondorian spoke about the badger burger. He nodded in agreement with the idea of wanting to keep taking more bites. His mouth full, the healer apprentice quietly walked along with the other two as they headed toward the horse stalls. Since he was busy chewing, it wasn't at all difficult to overhear the raised voices between some others as they approached the area where Eryn had gone. He frowned, gathering the general idea of what the dispute was about as the couple spoke in the native language*, although he didn't mean to be prying. Still, what was hearing troubled him somewhat. It was difficult not to hear their argument, but it seemed that the trouble was mostly over by the time their group located Eryn.

She was so caught up with watching to be sure that the argument or whatever it was didn't end up getting any worse than the man yelling and making her cry, that Eryn didn't even notice Nal coming up alongside her. She jumped slightly. "Nal," She turned to him, glad to see him, but frowning in concern. "I can't understand what they're saying, so I don't know what's going on over there, but there might be trouble... that guy was yelling and made the woman cry." She nodded her head slightly toward the guy who had been yelling.

"It's a matter between them," Xyler mentioned quietly. "He has a right to be upset...she's.. abandoning her baby with him and..well it's not even his kid." He frowned, a little awkward for having overheard their conversation. "I couldn't help overhearing, they were talking so loud. But... it's best we stay out of it."

Eryn's eyes widened in shock. "Oh..." She nodded slightly, agreeing that it seemed best to stay out of it.

As Hadassa added her question of 'what did you find', Xyler hoped that would help to turn the subject to something more pleasant.

"Oh, right," Eryn paused, putting the other matter out of mind the best she could, and felt a bit embarrassed to remember that she had set out to find something she could buy for when she eventually got a horse, and instead found an entire horse. "Well... I uh," She hesitated. "I didn't find a bridle, but.." She smiled slightly and a look of excitement returned to her eyes. "I have to show you what I did find!" She eagerly led the way back to the stall where Butterecuppe was, and pointed out the lovely horse to the others. "Looook. Isn't she beautiful?" She smiled as the horse came to the fence to get closer to her, and nuzzled her shoulder. "She's such a sweetheart.. I love her so much." She sighed, disappointed to remember she had nowhere near enough money to buy a horse.

(*checked beforehand with windy about whether they were speaking rohirric)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen , @Ercassie

Hadassa
with Eryn, Xyler, and Nal

Hadassa only huffed and did not comment on the whole argument thing; her approach to such things was not to meddle in the affairs of other people unless it somehow fit within the scope of her duties. She might succeed in distracting the involved parties only to unite them in attacking her instead of each other, and she was not keen on being at the centre of such attention.

Finishing off her burger, the young woman brushed the fingers off lightly against the leg of her trousers, and turned her attention to what it was that Eryn had found.

"Well..." she muttered, approaching the horse slowly so as not to scare her. "She might be a sweetheart all right, and loveable, but... do you have the means? To buy her and... well, for everyday care after?" As she spoke, Hadassa looked the horse over to see the condition and evaluate whether her owners had fed her well and had not mistreated her in any way. She looked for marks of chafing on the good beast's back and sides, for any signs of beatings, she even leaned slightly over the fence to see if she could take a look at the hooves.

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

The excitement owed to gifting Eryn new fare was somewhat doused by the concern, first, then confusion, even after Xyler had quietly explained about the upset. As Hadassa huffed and focused on the return to horse tales, Unalmis glanced one last time over to where his friend had gestured. Leaving a child with someone, when it was not even their child ? It made no sense to him why anyone would do that. But there was much in the world which seemed beyond his making sense of it. And what women did for their own reasons stood extremely high upon that list.

Nodding to Xyler’s suggestion that they ought not interfere in strangers’ business … it seemed to have settled down now anyway as it turned out. The Gondorian followed Eryn’s enthusiastic lead over to see the horses. Which threatened to turn just as swiftly towards upset, when it became clear her heart was already won over by one of them.

I don’t think a horse would fit into the tombola box,” he considered, thoughtfully, as though he might be serious. After all, Hadassa had gained herself an unexpected animal companion not so long ago in that manner. “Shame,” he had to agree with Eryn. “She seems to like you as well,” he observed. Hadassa seemed to be considering the matter with equal intrigue, examining the horse with what surely must be a wealth of knowledge. Close by, another woman (Melahny) seemed to be concluding her own negotiations for a mare, he noticed. Turning away before vague interest had become unwelcome attention.

I bet she eats ten times as much as Hattie though !Nal grinned, even while he nudged Eryn gently with his elbow, to not forego her waiting food. Before it went cold. “Did you take a chance to ride her ?” he wondered, seeing that this was apparently what some people were doing.

I expect you've been riding for as long as you could walk,” he imagined then, in some awe of Xyler. There was no need to ask whether, as part of the cavalry, Hadassa surely must be very good herself. She certainly seemed to know what she was doing, in examining Eryn’s new four-legged friend. Something told the young man he ought to be deftly directing the conversation away from horses which could not be kept. But somehow he couldn't do it. Must have been something in the air. This was Rohan after all. Horses, he had heard, were next to everything here.
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

"...do you have the means? To buy her and... well, for everyday care after?"

Eryn sighed heavily at that question. "No, I haven't got nearly enough to buy her. I didn't expect to find a horse I wanted to buy today," She admitted regretfully. "As for care though, yes, of course. We have a horse at home, and cows. Lots of cows. I take care of them all each day, but Storm is sort of old, and not so swift anymore, and a bit boring to ride on." She explained. "He's mostly used for pulling the dairy cart, not riding."

A little laugh escaped her at Nal's comment about the horse eating more than Hattie. "Yes, but we have plenty of grass back home, at the farm." She reminded him with a grin. "There's more than enough for the cows and a horse or two, so really the only problem is.. I don't have enough money now." She sighed in disappointment, and leaned against the fence, petting Buterecuppe's neck. As Nal nudged her with his elbow, she glanced toward him. She noticed the burger he was handing her, and smiled as she accepted it with a quiet thanks, though her gaze was drawn back toward the horse. She then brightened, hearing Nal's inquiry as to whether she had taken a chance to ride the horse. "Yes, I did!" She smiled happily. "She's so fast.. like the wind! It was thrilling!" She wished she could take another ride, but she had already spent most of her spending money just for the one ride.

"She does look like a nice horse," Xyler agreed, from a distance, around half a mouthful of food. He finished chewing the last bite, and swallowed as he watched Hadassa, the cavalry-woman, inspect the horse that Eryn had clearly become so taken with. Brushing the back of his hand across his mouth to make sure there were no crumbs left behind, he glanced at Unalmis at the comment about him riding well. "No, actually," he hesitated, a little embarrassed to admit, "I'm not all that familiar with horses." He shrugged slightly. "Aside, perhaps, from tending to the few kept by the folk who dwell in my village, at times when they might have ailments." He paused, and added, "And anyway, I'm actually only half Rohirrim, although you probably can't tell it to look at me."

He reached out to pet the nose of the one Eryn was so enthused about, smiling slightly. "She appears healthy enough, but that's all I can really tell you." He smiled slightly. "A healer in Rohan does not only study the healing of humans, after all, but of horses as well; for the people of Rohan consider their horses as dear as family. Still... as for riding, I wouldn't be surprised if Eryn here has been on a horse more often than I have." He took a moment to observe the situation, noticing how attached the girl was already to the horse, and frowned slightly in thought. "Perhaps we ought to go investigate that maypole?" He suggested, remembering Unalmis had been inquiring about it earlier.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen , @Ercassie
Hadassa

"You could probably put the tombola box on the horse, though," Hadassa added to Nal's musings with a small grin, as she let the kitten nibble on some of the burger before she ended up scratched all over as the little creature strived to get a morsel.

"Ah, so you have a big farm, Eryn!" she exclaimed. Though having such a farm did not necessarily mean that owners would travel away from it with great amounts of money unless it was with a specific purpose to buy, say, a horse. She did not touch that subject of getting a horse any more, though she did run her hand over the horse's soft neck once more, while holding a bit of burger in her other hand with the kitten sitting on her forearm, purring as she ate.

"Think we'd find some treasure on top of that maypole?" she wondered aloud at Xyler's suggestion.

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Eryn’s insistence that she had not expected to find a horse she wanted, today, was not entirely convincing for all that it might have been true. Knowing that she did want a horse of her own, and that she had for a while now adored horses in general, it would have taken the sight of some terrifying Nazgul steed to not have her immediately fall in love with it. Unalmis began to suspect that Duinion had chosen not to come to the fayre today for more than one reason, and avoiding the likelihood of his daughter’s big eyes when she inevitably fell in love with a horse she wanted .. was likely not the least amongst those reasons.

He was glad to hear that his friend had enjoyed a ride however. The girl had been particularly gracious about driving the cart more than her share of the way here, so that his father could get his own riding practice in. And Duinion and he had both been on hand to spur their steeds in pursuit, if need be anything went wrong with his father’s trial efforts. They had all made a bigger deal than they likely needed to, about how well Eryn had handled the cart as a consequence, but he was already suspecting that he might have to offer to switch it up with her, so that the girl could ride his horse at least part of the way home. Keeping Hattie from getting too excited at all their four-legged company was not an easy or untiresome task as well. But they had all come to relax some, by the point of having gotten all the way here without incident. So his father probably did not require two of them on hand any more.

Well that is some feat which most healers at home do not have much experience in,” he remarked, when Xyler mentioned his own experience with attending to horses's ailments as well as to their riders. Unalmis was slightly surprised that the slightly younger man did not ride often, particularly given he had said that he lived far from the city here. But he paused on the cusp of enquiring whether horses made better patients than people .. for the half-Rohir .. (interesting ..) was not wrong in trying to change the subject. That is, if they wanted to drag Eryn away from her new found four-legged friend at some point today.

There does look to be some prize set at the crown of the thing ?” he agreed with Hadassa’s musing, and supporting Xyler turn all attention back toward the tall, ribbon-decked, pole. “Little Bretta might be able to clamber up there with more ease than any of us of course,” he laughed, tilting his head to admire the woman’s kitten, contentedly settled in her clasp. “What do you think ?” Setting a hand about each hip, the young man craned his neck and gauged the height of the thing, turning to Xyler beside him. “Climbable ?

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen , @Ercassie
Hadassa

"How would the healers learn to treat horses if you live all walled up in that stone city - that is no place for horses really," Hadassa commented though she did not know much of healing, yet she at least knew that horses needed fields and pastures, not stone streets all set up in levels no less. She looked at Unalmis somewhat thoughtfully, wondering if there would ever be a time when she would be able to visit Mundburg. She felt a longing to explore stir in her heart, but hastened to quench it: she had no means for such extensive travel. "How long does the travel take? And how large is the city really?" she asked nonetheless to sate at least some curiosity as she turned her attention to glance up the pole then.

Hadassa was in no mood to try climbing it, nor let the kitten do it since it would certainly require climbing up to get her. "I don't doubt Bretta's climbing abilities at all," she laughed then, scratching under the cat's chin to call forth some contented purrs.

"Why don't you two have a go at it and see if you can master that pole?" she half-challenged the young men.

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Hadassa’s question startled Unalmis out of his considering the pole challenge. “Well, in Minas Tirith, the healers tend to tend more to the people. Horse healing is taken care of by the owner of the horse, or groomsmen really I imagine. I’m afraid I haven’t much knowledge in that area myself,” he admitted. "We have been lucky and our horses suffered no maladies on this venture, at least so far."

There was a look about the woman’s face, the sort he had worn himself, where adventure is on the horizon, or the hope of it. It called him further from his contemplation. “Travel .. to my city, do you mean ?” he looked to clarify before assuming. “It is over a hundred leagues from Edoras. I think it was said that your army managed to ride there in about four days, when we were besieged. But that was more of an emergency, obviously. Our little touring group took easily more than a week to get here, but we have not been rushing. There is plenty to see along the trek and we’ve been taking time to enjoy the scenery.

It occurred to the Gondorian, a little belatedly, that for all her being a member of the Cavalry, Hadassa apparently had not come with the Rohirrim in their great ride to succour his homeland. He did not ask outright, as it seemed impolite, and who knew what personal reasons or official orders she may have had at that time. Nal had not seen the great battle either. Sometimes orders were meant for managing matters elsewhere, that still were of some significance.

Well, it’s built into the mountain,” he grinned, when she asked about how big his city was. “So it’s rather large, or high anyway. But there are winding paths that take you all about the heights. Getting to the top of that …” he indicated the maypole, returning to their current dilemma, “is likely to be rather more difficult. Since we are not cats. I mean, if the challenge is to actually climb to the top of it. An arrow might knock the prize down from the top far more easily. But I’d be a little hesitant to start shooting with all these people here about !” he laughed.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

Xyler laughed lightly to hear the challenge of climbing the pole. "I don't know, I'm not sure how sturdy it is," He remarked, taking note of the base of the maypole.

"Well, I don't think it's intended to be climbed," Eryn rolled her eyes, shaking her head in amusement at the two boys. She ventured closer, along with them. But she couldn't help a sad glance back at the horse. If only she had more money. She held back a sigh, and turned back to the new object of discussion. "It's meant to be like, a dance type thing," She commented, based on what she had observed. "I think." She added, just in case she was utterly wrong. "I saw people dancing around it earlier, anyway, with those ribbons. So like, the ribbons ended up getting woven around the pole, see? Though I really don't know why they put the apple on top." She frowned in confusion about that.

"Hmm, well. Maybe it's there as a prize for the one who does the best dancing?" Xyler suggested jokingly. "In which case, I think I can count myself out. And I wouldn't recommend shooting it, either," he added with a grin. "Unless you're hoping to see me and other healers at work..."

Eryn laughed. "No, definitely not a good idea." She shook her head. "Anyway, we didn't brought our bows from the camp, so we couldn't do that anyway." She pointed out. "If you really want that apple though," She added to Unalmis with a little grin, "I bet I could get it down." She smiled innocently, and turned her gaze up to the apple, thoughtfully.

Xyler smiled. "I'm curious now to see how she might manage such a thing," He admitted quietly to Unalmis, though making no secret of what he had said so that the girls could hear as well. Then he listened with idle curiosity as they spoke about Minas Tirith being stone and levels, built into the mountain. "That sounds like quite a sight to behold," he commented, trying to imagine that. "Does it get very cold there?" he wondered. "My home village is on a mountain... it can get very cold there, but it's not all that big. Nor is there much stone used for construction, there." He paused to think. "There is a statue, though, made of stone. It's sort of.. the main landmark of our village. The Gondorian name for the statue's namesake is Orome, though here, we call him Bema." He mentioned, though he wasn't sure if it was necessary.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat May 20, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Eryn’s observation about the decorated pole was evidence enough that they seemed to have distracted the girl from a horse she could not afford. Nal glanced down to the green grass, momentarily, in at least a try at looking thoughtful. “Maybe the ribbons are for everyone to heave on, like a tug of war, and see if the apple can’t be pulled a little lower ?” he shrugged, a little doubtfully. Still, had Xyler not just said the pole did not look very strong ? Maybe it was designed to bend ? If it only could be encouraged to sway a little, the apple balancing on it’s head might be disturbed and drop down into waiting hands.

Or is the dancing around it maybe like a tribute to beg the fruit to fall ?” The notion struck him idly. It seemed perhaps a seasonal thing to do during a celebration of spring. “There’s not really any music to dance around to right now, but I guess we could clap a whole lot to kick things off ?” he supposed then, as their small group continued to play the guessing game. Nodding when the Rohir confided curiosity, the Ranger crossed his arms in a clear challenge and assured Eryn that “Alright, now I really want to see how you think you are going to manage that !” he grinned.

Honestly he should have made sure, first of all, that she wasn’t going to try something that would get her hurt. But the least he could do was give her the benefit of the doubt, that she could come up with something at least somewhat less perilous than he had. And then if it was too risky to let Eryn try, he might just have to trial it himself, to satisfy her curiosity without endangering her life. He had sworn to their respective fathers both, after all, to keep the younger member of their party out of trouble. Even if he’d heard the two parents make the girl swear the very same about keeping an eye on him .. Either way, Unalmis was distracted in timely fashion anyway, by yet more and interesting information about the locale.

Ah yes, the Great Hunter,” the Gondorian recognised the famous name his friend was referencing, from stories he had heard since school. “He is called ‘Bema’ here ?” he marvelled, falling somewhat open mouthed at the surprise. It made sense of course, with hindsight. Unalmis had heard Mourgan randomly curse to 'Bema' before, but he had never realised that the other Ranger was calling on Oromë. “Did He save your village, or perform some sort of miracle there, to warrant the statue ?” he wondered, easily distracted.

High Warden of Tower
@Ercassie , @Rillewen
Hadassa

"Four days or a week... either way..." Hadassa murmured sourly and then buried her nose in the soft kitten fur to find comfort against disappointment that it was still too far away; it would be more possible if Minas Tirith was just a day's ride off, for example. Besides, even if she could get a horse and some money, she doubted she'd find travel companions - the road might still not be that safe if she went alone. Her dark eyes were still dreamy as she glanced at the pole again over the kitten's head.

"Suppose even running around or jumping wildly would count as dancing," she said finally, lifting her face and laughing. "Supposing the pole is really meant for that kind of entertainment rather than climbing." Hadassa glanced around to see if any of them felt like trying it out for real but it did not seem likely. Then she shook her head, laughed some more and said: "I think, if you really want an apple there are easier ways to get one; I doubt the one on the pole has any properties other apples wouldn't have." She had begun to think that the apple might not be worth all the effort even if Eryn came up with the way to get at it. However, she wondered now if the two guys could now be distracted from it at all.

When the talk again turned towards the stone city, she listened a while and then chipped in: "Stone really must be cold. Unless the sun manages to heat it up properly, if it is faced the right way." Then she turned to look at Xyler with interest, when he mentioned the statue in his village, and Nal asked more about it.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

Eryn rolled her eyes and laughed at Nal's silly wonderings about the pole. She finished off the badger burger she'd been working on (having gotten a later start than everyone else) and then offered a smug little smile in answer to Nal's challenge. Without a word, she set off toward the pole, tossing her hair back from her shoulder as she ventured over to examine the pole more closely. Using the ribbons to pull it down... really, how ridiculous. She tilted her head back to look up at the apple, then down at the base. It was a tall pole, around eight feet she guessed. Although she had climbed trees much taller, somehow she suspected it might be frowned upon to climb this pole, especially with all the people around. She didn't want to be a poor representative of Gondor, after all. The pole seemed to be set deep into the ground, so it likely wouldn't be disturbed by any shaking of the pole, as she had considered doing. Maybe if she tried really hard, she might get the apple to wobble off, but that wouldn't be the easiest or simplest way to do this. Instead, she backed off, eyes searching the ground for the right sized pebble. The next most obvious answer.

After laughing a little at the idea of clapping to get some dancing started up, Xyler curiously watched the girl approach the pole, wondering what she had in mind. Then Unalmis' question distracted him. He turned back to him with a smile. "Yes, that is the Rohirrim name for him." he confirmed, wondering why Unalmis seemed to find that humorous. He shrugged slightly, and grinned. "Ah, well there is an interesting story behind that," He answered. "If you'd like to hear it." He glanced toward Eryn again, and blinked. "Um, what's she doing?" He wondered, as she circled the pole slowly while gazing up at the apple.

Eryn was actually finding the best angle in which to stand. The sun had been in her eyes, before, so she moved around to find an angle that did not pose that problem. And then she was trying to make sure there weren't a lot of people on the other side, that might get hit by a flying pebble or a falling apple. But soon she had found just the right spot. And when she did, she threw her pebble so that it flew upward at a steep angle, focusing her aim on traveling mostly upward so as to minimize the distance it would travel away from her, on the way down. While it wasn't the same as shooting an arrow, she had a fairly good aim when throwing things as well as shooting arrows. The pebble struck the apple square in the center, knocking it from it's precariously positioned perch, and Eryn kept her eye on it as it began to fall, holding out a hand so that she caught it with relative ease, before it hit the ground. Then glanced over to make sure the pebble didn't hit anyone on its way to the ground.

Striding back to Nal, Eryn couldn't help wearing a (slightly smug) smile on her face as she held out the apple to him. "See? I told you I could do it." She just hoped there wouldn't be any festival officials that might come to yell at her for ruining some sort of surprise meant for later... but then, if she hadn't rescued the apple, maybe some bird would've attacked it! She had just saved it from such a fate, that's all. "Pulling on the ribbons to bend the pole...? Really, Nal?" She grinned, rolling her eyes teasingly. "You were soooo caught up with thinking up some crazy, complicated scheme to get that apple down, you totally overlooked the simplest ones." Her hazel eyes gleamed teasingly as she grinned at him, while next to Nal, Xyler laughed.

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Unalmis was not immune to the pensive look in Hadassa’s eye and poised upon the cusp of inviting her to travel back with him and their party to see Minas Tirith, if she was so keen. But recalling, in time, that such a thing ought to be agreed with the entire party beforehand, he held his tongue, albeit begrudgingly. More opportunity to get to know their neighbours, or their nation’s neighbours at the least, could only be a good thing, and thus far was proving very interesting. He was very glad they’d come, not only to Rohan, but to the Springfest. The woman though did not seem half so keen on their continued obsession with the inaccessible apple. Pointing out that there were plenty of apples, within much easier reach, was a very good point of course. But it was far too late for sensible considerations.

Oh stars, she’s on a mission now,Nal laughed, as Eryn set off to prove her plan. “Well, it’s faced towards Mordor, as a watchguard of course,” he replied to Hadassa, keeping an eye on the younger girl, lending his ear to the two Rohir representatives. “I’m not sure if that’s what you’d call the ‘right’ way. But it’s certainly warmer, the further east you travel, and we’re on the most easterly end of the mountain range. Even if the sun were cold, your heart warms, trust me, to see how it’s rays hit the heights of polished stone raised up into the sky.” He might have ventured into a wide-eyed excitement of how fair the plains of Pelennor were, or the vast fertile lands of Ithilien, each stretched out below the mountain like some vast garden, but for one it might be considered rude to rave about one’s own home too much, when stood in another’s. And for another thing, the healer’s offered conversation stole his tongue, in favour of putting his ears to work instead.

Tell me,” he begged Xyler, before shaking off the distraction of what all three were watching, and remembered to add a “Sorry, please.” But there was little time to afford upon even the mightiest Horse-lord, Oromë, before Eryn paraded proudly back towards them, apple in hand. Nal had grinned since the moment she proved her smart, if also simple, thinking.

Bad manners to deny a lady first shot at the thing,” he laughed though afterwards proclaimed "Well done, Eryn !" And, lightly raising her wrist, and the apple along with it, took both up just high enough to proclaim her "Queen .. of fallen fruits .." before freeing his friend of the gesture and immediately inclining his head a little, to honour their heroine. Silly though it might be, the Ranger was quietly satisfied that they’d definitely managed to draw Eryn away from all horse-related thinking. Wistfulness and disappointment was simply not allowed on so lovely a day. "Come though ! Xyler is about to tell us of another local legend," he winked at his friend.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Ercassie , @Rillewen

With a sigh Hadassa had to admit that it was already too late to turn the attention to simply choosing apples from the tables, so she followed Eryn with her gaze to see what she would do. Apparently, a very simple way of dealing with the pole and the prize on top of it. "Careful!" she managed to exclaim just before the pebble left the girl's hand and hit the apple straight on. The accuracy of the throw seemed to suggest much practice in throwing things, or at least that is what Hadassa assumed. Laughter glinted in her eyes, as she leaned down to bury her nose in the kitten's soft fur for a few moments to stop herself from laughing at the title Nal awarded Eryn for her exploits.

"Well, Xyler's legend would be good to hear," she spoke up in agreement, and then added with a mock offence on her face: "Perhaps better than teasing me with fancy descriptions of a city I can't immediately visit."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

Eryn laughed at Nal's silliness in naming her Queen of Fallen Fruits. Still, she grinned and accepted the 'title' with a mock curtsy. "Thank you, thank you." She giggled, then grew intrigued as Nal declared that Xyler was going to tell a story. "Oh?" She turned her attention toward him.

It was certainly amusing to watch the two Gondorians together, and it was clear they were good friends, if nothing else. Xyler had listened with interest as Unalmis spoke about his home city, and found that he really wanted to go and see it. He had a few other reasons besides just wanting to see it, but just hearing Unalmis describe it was reason enough. Hadassa's sentiment was true; it seemed almost like a taunt, to hear about it and not be able to go see it.

"Alright," he agreed, when everyone seemed rather caught up with the idea of hearing his village's story. "Let's see. It goes back to the time when the Eorlingas were first settling here in what was once known as Calenardhon, after the battle against the Balchoth." He paused to think back about the story as it had been told to him. "After our first king, Eorl, swore his oath to the Steward Cirion, his army sent messages North to call their wives and children to come and settle in their new home which the Steward had granted them. But there were some widows and their children, and some elderly, who had nowhere to go. So, these grouped together and set off to find a place they could call home."

"The first place they tried didn't work out. They had not the strength to plow the earth to grow crops, and they had no horses to raise. So, they ventured further South. Eventually, they found themselves in the mountains which separate Rohan from Gondor, and became lost. There was a storm coming, as well. Before long, they began to hear wolves howling. They were frightened, and it seemed certain that they would soon be surrounded. They tried to build a fire, hoping to frighten away the wolves, but the wind was growing stronger, and they couldn't get the wood to light."

He paused to take a breath, as well as to remember how it went from there. He'd never had to share the tale before, because he mostly always heard his grandmother telling it. "So, they were in a very tight spot, being trapped against the wall of a cliff at their backs. Then, the wolves began to show themselves, growing bolder as they saw that this group of people were helpless. They were in a half-circle around them, moving closer and closer. And then, suddenly, a great horn blew! The wolves stopped, as if alarmed. The people were not sure what to do, nor what this horn meant, but it gave them hope. Some of them began to call out for help, hoping to draw attention from whomever had blown it. It blew again, a longer note. And then.. one of the elders realized that it was not really a horn; it was the wind whistling across the cliffs. Somehow, because of the way it was formed, it sounded like a horn when the wind was strong. So, it seemed that their hope was in vain. Still, he kept quiet, hoping the yelling might frighten away the wolves."

He glanced at each one of his audience, and smiled. "And then.. like a miracle, this big man upon a great horse came riding out of the dusk, charging at the wolves with a flaming sword!" He had no idea whether that part had become exaggerated over the years of telling it, or not, but he was telling it as he had heard it told to him. "The wolves scattered, and he rode after them. The lost people stayed huddled together, astonished. They could hear the sound of battle as the wolves yelped and howled, and then fell silent. The 'horn' blew repeatedly, filling the area with its echoes. It seemed to go on for hours. Eventually, the wind died down, and the storm passed. It was as if the wind had only come for that purpose; to frighten the wolves. As if to announce the arrival of their rescuer."

"When morning came, the people found no sign of the man, or his horse. The bodies of the wolves lay strewn about, and everything was calm again. Following these, they discovered a narrow path going down the mountain, and realized that it would take them back to Rohan. They were not lost anymore. But, they decided to stay there in that spot. The wolves were slain, and they could only assume that Bema had heard their pleas for help, and come, himself, to their rescue. Naturally, they wanted to remain in this place where this miracle had occurred, and where He had appeared. So, they build homes there and soon it became a small village, which they called Wyndhorne." He grinned. "Every time it's very windy, you can hear the 'horn' blowing in the cliffs. And once they had settled there for good, they built the statue to honor their rescuer. It stands in the center of the village square even now, although I'm sure they've had to make repairs over the years."

Eryn listened with wide eyes, intrigued. "Wow... and did they ever see him again? Was it really him, you think?"

"No.. they never saw him again, at least not that I know of." Xyler answered, then to the other question, he smiled. "I don't know." He shrugged. "Who else could it have been?"

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen , @Ercassie

"Aha! Story time, here it comes," Hadassa said, as if mostly to her kitten which seemed to be more interested in catching a stray strand of her hair.

She listened attentively when Xyler began to tell the story, her dark eyes reflecting a range of emotions as her imagination painted the events in her mind. She held her breath for a moment when it came to the part where wolves surrounded the people, and let it out slowly in relief at the rescue.

"Well, the rescue had come one way or another," she joined in with a comment. "And it would have had to be quite a powerful rider to chase a pack of wolves away. Someone extraordinary."

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Unalmis could not feel entirely guilty when Hadassa decreed that he was making her all the more interested in visiting Gondor. For that meant that his newfound Rohir friends were as intrigued by their neighbours and allies, as he was of them. This could be no bad thing. A fact proven when Xyler commenced with his turn at speaking of his home village.

The Gondorian had of course learnt about the oath of Eorl and Cirion before, and certainly of the bequeathing of Calenardhon. But that was from being ordered to read and learn by heart the passage from a dusty old history book at school. Hearing the tale spoken, or orally performed in fact, by someone actually from the region, it made the subject seem very much more ‘alive’ or ‘real’. Nal could very well imagine the fears and thoughts of the actual people that it had happened to, even all those years ago. The tension and threat which they had faced back then was built upon, piece by piece, as the healer’s tale progressed, and the scene was very much set so that the Gondorian almost shivered, in spite of the warm spring that spun golden comfort down upon them. Only at the tale’s conclusion was the anticipated wonder of the tale finally revealed; still with a mystery wreathed about it’s ending. Hope and faith very much a factor, as with all good legends.

That is a really great story,Unalmis joined the others in applauding their entertainer. The feat, of seeing off foes, did sound awfully like the sort of thing the Huntsman would have done. And the Ranger could not imagine any wolves would dare to trouble Xyler’s village after that !

I wonder, do you ever get pilgrimages of people from afar, all wanting to see where it happened ?” he mused. Not least of all because by now he rather wanted to go see that statue and hear the roaring wind for himself. Maybe they needed to embark on a cultural exchange at some point, so that everybody’s curiosity would be satisfied. But as far as immersing themselves in authentic Rohirric customs this day, the visitors had clearly already succeeded.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

@Ercassie , @Rillewen

"We could set up a pilgrimage consisting of us, no?" Hadassa suggested, taking a hold of Nal's question and thinking that it would definitely be interesting. "I had not heard it before! But then again I figure there might be quite a few various legends across the Mark which I have no clue about." She had not ventured far, not even in Rohan, so everything that was new seemed exciting to her. However, she had made the suggestion more like a joke, supposing that none of them would really be ready to set off just like this.

"Say, how long are you staying?" she looked at Unalmis first and then turned towards Erynneth. "Just for the festival, or are you staying for longer, doing business or something?"

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

Xyler laughed at the question from Unalmis. "No, actually," he shrugged. "Most people probably don't even know about it. I guess the tale hasn't really spread all that much." He answered. "We're a small village and most of us don't really venture out to bigger cities, and we only get visitors passing through every once in a while when they want to take the pass through the mountains. Wyndhorne Pass is the quickest route across the mountains to Gondor, though perhaps not the easiest." He explained.

"Well," he smiled as he heard Hadassa jokingly plotting to take a pilgrimage to his village, "If you do wish to go sometime, perhaps I could arrange it so that I can be your guide." He grinned. "The pass can be a little hard to find. In the spring and summer, the trees are full of leaves and things tend to be a bit overgrown, and in the autumn, the leaves have fallen onto the path and hid it, and in the winter.. snow covers it."

"Hmm," Eryn was thinking, listening to all of that, and smiled. "Well, Nal is a ranger, and my father's a ranger, and I'm going to be a ranger. So, perhaps we'd have better luck at finding it than most," She grinned. "But if you could, we'd love for you to be our guide." She glanced at Nal. "Do you think we'd be able to take that route on our way home, maybe? He said it goes through to Gondor, right?" She glanced back to Xyler at that.

"Uh, well, it does. But not the area you'd be wanting," He answered. "It comes out near the city in Lamedon, called Erech. That would be quite a ways from Minas Tirith, wouldn't it?" He had studied maps, and knew a little bit about such things even if he hadn't traveled all that much.

Hadassa's question made Eryn pause to think. "You know, I have no idea how long we're here for," She realized, with a glance toward Nal. "It has to do with his father," She added, in explanation to Hadassa. "He's here for business reasons. My father came along with him, and we came along as well," She grinned. "So, however long it takes for Nal's father to do what he's come here for."

She was polishing the apple on her skirt, to make sure that it was clean, then nudged Nal lightly. "Do you have a knife we could use to cut this?" She asked him, holding up the apple. "I was thinking of cutting it into fourths, so we could all have a piece." She smiled. Whether he loaned her a knife to use, or took it upon himself to cut the fruit, she didn't mind either way; she just thought it would be nice if they could all get a portion of it.

Unalmis Raxëlilta
@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Yes and then we’d have to come up with a name for ourselves, and make it our business to seek out all the most intriguing corners of the kingdom,” he added, thoughtfully, to Hadassa’s suggestion, as though he wasn’t already pondering over possible names. “I am sure there must be many,” he agreed with the Rider.

Hadassa’s yearning was certainly infectious, and Nal grinned to witness Eryn’s enthusiasm to trek even up a mountain on a whim. He should not have been surprised, and was naturally impressed. But for all that, Xyler managed to remain modest, even about so curious a settlement. Of course, the healer had, by all accounts, not very long ago left his small village behind for an adventure out into the city of Edoras. So maybe he was not so keen on hurrying back there any time soon, particularly with his new work commitments.

It would take us quite a ways west of where we call home,” he agreed with Xyler though, about their chances of returning to Gondor that way. “My father used to be a Ranger too,” he added in, quietly, as his friend declared their suitability for exploring, “but I’m not sure the old guys will have a want to take the scenic route through the southern fiefdoms after dragging the cart up and over the pass,” he mentioned, sidelong to Eryn, albeit with evident disappointment at this truth. “They have plans, deadlines, a detailed itinerary,” he rolled his eyes at how prepared and thought out the respective fathers had been in all their planning. “We’d have to convince them that we could go home our own way without them, maybe,” he conspired then, but moments later with a small shrug. "Then we could return the favour of showing our new friends some of Gondor along the way to the White City."

At a time when you have time as well, of course,” he nodded gratefully to Xyler in particular for his generous offer. “Finding the place and understanding the history of what we’ve found are two quite different things. So it would be a great honour to have such a knowledgeable tourguide. And the company of an authentic Rider of Rohan, no less,” he added, with a pointed glance toward Hadassa. ""You will have to let us know when the Cavalry can spare you for a time."

She’s right though, my Father had a want to visit your marketplace, sorry, the ‘Riddermarket’, I think it’s called ?” he pulled something of a hopeful face, with regard to getting that name right. “For his business. Her father is supposed to keep him out of trouble,” he laughed. At this rather broadest sense of an explanation. ”I’m sure they wouldn’t mind losing us to our own devices for a while that we’re here. We keep each other out of trouble, clearly. Although .. there is always Hattie to consider.” he chanced a look toward Eryn, “Your horse isn’t skittish about dogs, is it, Hadassa ?” The kitten might be, of course. But he doubted their fathers would be keen to have the excitable hound under their feet for another day without reprieve.

Eryn’s nudge saw the young man turn to her, and reach a hand instinctively toward his knife. A simple tool, but his father had gifted it to him when he joined the Rangers, with the same mock gravity as if it had been the actual heirloom of their house. That mightier blade was long lost thanks to his uncle, although this lesser one had also now been handed down, from at least one father to son. Both were privately amazed that Nal had not lost it yet. But he did not surrender it to his friend's task once she had explained her plan.

As you like,” he accepted the apple into his possession instead. By swiftly cupping the fruit in both hands, the Ranger sought with several fingers for a hold at each side of the base, and saw it into two clean halves by snapping a little pressure from his palms. Handing the young woman back one of these halves, he showed her how to do similar again with that half, to make it further into a quarter. “You don’t need a knife unless you'd want to see it into rather smaller pieces than that,” he confided, with a wink, and offered his readied bounty to Xyler and Hadassa each, before he placed his hands around Eryn’s so that he could guide them into the most effective position on her half of the fruit. “Use the muscle there, at the base of your thumb,” he encouraged his friend, and left her to have a try at it herself. “It probably helps too that it’s been sat out in the sun most of the day,” he admitted though. Long summers spent in orchards on the Pelennor did not hurt either, for practice of course.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

@Ercassie , @Rillewen

"Ah..." Hadassa's dark eyes lit up with renewed hope at all the would-be plans set in motion. Surely she could get a couple days off from the constant stable duties? After all she had her turn at patrolling Edoras just two days ago and was likely not to have another in some time if it went as it used to be. "You know what. I could definitely check in and see if I could get some free time if y'all up to adventuring." She imagined that whatever the respective fathers would be doing in the Riddermarket it was sure to take some time, and the options laid out by Nal were too enticing to ignore. The kitten though. She'd have to entrust her to someone's care.

"The horse doesn't mind dogs unless they bite her legs. Then they might learn to fly rather quickly..." she explained, and then remarked: "I could find someone to see to my little kitty... But say, you are all serious about this travel stuff?" It still seemed too good to her, and she wondered if Xyler would be able to find any time off.

Hadassa then watched Unalmis handle the apple, and happily accepted her piece. The kitten sniffed at it inquisitively and with a small sneeze recognised it as inedible. Hadassa laughed softly and popped the piece of apple in her mouth. She looked from one new acquaintance to another, as she chewed on the fruit, wondering if she had indeed found people to form a good friendship with.

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

Eryn nodded in acknowledgement as both Nal and Xyler pointed out the faults in that plan, of taking the pass on their way home. "True." She held back a sigh. "Well, it was worth suggesting it, anyway." She suspected that Addhor would have difficulty, and if not him, the old horse pulling the cart might struggle. She sighed softly as Nal suggested the idea of convincing their fathers that they could find their own, more adventurous, way home. "My father would never go for that, you know that." She reminded Unalmis. Despite.. or perhaps because of, having Ranger Unalmis as an escort, her dad would surely not go along with that idea. He'd entrusted her to Nal's keeping once some years ago, out of necessity, but even then, he had not been terribly enthused to be parted from her.

Xyler grinned as Hadassa spoke of getting a few days off, and both Gondorians discussed how unlikely it was that they would be able to travel homeward by that route. Yet, there was a possibility of several days wherein they had all the time they could ask for. He tilted his head, thinking. "Well, I don't know how many free days we would need to pay a visit to my home.." he said slowly, thoughtful. "I know it took me a couple of days, traveling semi-leisurely, to get from there to Edoras. But that was on foot," He added. "I reckon, with a horse or two," he hesitated, realizing maybe he shouldn't have brought that up, lest it stir up Eryn's desire for the horse, again. But, since he'd already begun, he finished, "We might get there in a day?"

He really wasn't sure, but it seemed like a reasonable estimate, anyway. And it would be nice to pay a visit to his grandmother, if his new friends really did want to see his village. He had been missing home quite a bit. Having only been away from home once before (in not-so-pleasant circumstances, the first time) it was quite an adjustment living on his own. But it was nice to realize that home was only about a day's (or maybe two?) journey away.

"Riddermarket, yes," Xyler confirmed. "Although market place works just as well." he laughed. "Everyone would surely know what you meant." And grinned faintly at the 'we keep each other out of trouble. Clearly' comment. "I'm sure." He noticed a grin from Eryn at that point, also. An eyebrow rose up slightly in curiosity, then, at the mention of a new name. "Hattie?" He questioned, and smiled then to hear inquiries about a dog.

"Oh, yes, you both must meet Hattie!" Eryn joined in eagerly. "She's such a sweet dog, though a bit hyper." She laughed. "We thought it best not to bring her along with us, to this. Too much excitement, you know."

"Understandable," He smiled. "I would love to meet her! If we actually do this travel thing, feel free to bring her along. Perhaps we could use a good watch dog. Is she a watch dog?" He wondered. It seemed logical for why they would bring the dog along on a lengthy trip, anyway.

Accepting the apple fourth, Xyler smiled. "Thanks." He nodded to them both, Eryn for thinking to share her 'prize', and Nal for breaking it. Which, in fact, he found rather impressive. Though maybe not as impressive as Eryn did, he noticed with a little smile as he ate around the remnants of the core.

Eryn, in fact, was in awe as she watched Unalmis literally break the apple clean in half with just his hands! "Wha.. you can do that?" She asked in astonishment, with a slightly dropped jaw and widened eyes. And then, as if that wasn't enough, he further broke it into half again. A moment later, she found a blush rising to her face as Nal put his hands around hers to guide her through the process of breaking the second half into quarters.

She wasn't so sure that she could do it, but even if she couldn't.. it was worth the attempt, if only just to have this moment. To have his hands around hers... it gave her a little thrill she couldn't quite explain and she struggled not to let a silly grin cover her face. Still, as the fruit snapped into two pieces, she beamed wider than ever. It wasn't quite even, but she didn't care. The experience was delightful, and not just because of the success in breaking the apple into pieces. With a big smile, she offered the slightly bigger piece to Nal. "Thanks, for showing me that." She said happily, the grin lingering. "You'll have to show me how to do that with a whole apple, next time." She declared, hopeful for plenty more chances to get to try it for herself.

"That was pretty neat," Xyler agreed, curious. "How'd you learn to do that? Is it a ranger skill?" He wondered. "I have a friend who might be interested in a skill like that," He said with slight amusement. "I think she's a little obsessed with apples, but she likes them cut up into pieces. Easier to eat that way, she says."

@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Unalmis Raxëlilta

You can do that ..Unalmis corrected Eryn, and she proved it so moments later. He grinned, observing his friend’s success and accepted the portion of apple which was given him. “Anyone with enough time on their hands can learn it. Doesn’t have to be a Ranger. But if your friend is so obsessed with apples,” he offered to Xyler, “then it might be worth her trying it out. It can get boring to do anything the same way all the time. Even with a knife.

The apple was good eating, regardless, and a nice dessert to compliment their earlier Rohirric snack. It was strange that it could only have been a few hours, but it felt as though they’d known the two Rohirrim for a year or something.

Well we did come all the way here to see the sights of your fine kingdom,Nal shrugged, indicating Eryn and himself, when Hadassa asked if they were serious about the excursion to Wyndhorne. “I can hardly imagine the chaos that Hattie would make of the market,” he admitted, as Eryn explained why they hadn’t dared bring her to a fete. “Too many things to sniff and people to jump on. But she was very well behaved, well .. she behaved .. with our horses on the way here. So yours should be fine. She is used to seeing horses and other larger animals than her at the farm,” he nodded towards Eryn, who had probably introduced the dog personally to all her farmyard friends on the Pelennor. “She’d probably go for the kitten though, you’re right," he could not deny.

"Eryn, do you think your father would trust me to take you off for just a few days ? You know, without the alternative of facing an impending army of Orcs which convinced him last time ?” the young man knew very well that Duinion could be very protective. Particularly about his only daughter. “I mean, if we explain it is an educational opportunity to go see a local tourist attraction, in the homeland of our ancient allies, and supervised by a bonafide, female, member of the cavalry as well as a qualified healer who knows the paths like the back of his hand, how can he say no ?

Unalmis had no concerns about his own father denying him permission to go. For one thing, he was too old to have to obey his parent, officially at least, and for another, well, his father had said himself before now; that there were some things you can go through in life, which afterwards leave little else to be counted as ‘concerning’ by comparison. A merry expedition into the mountains ? Shouldn't be a problem.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

@Rillewen , @Ercassie

"No, it does not seem that far, after all, unless we assume there are plentiful distractions on the way. Like apples on poles or... on fir trees," Hadassa said, when Xyler explained how far away the village was. "It is certainly closer than the village I grew up in."

Merriment gleamed in her dark eyes at the description of Hattie the dog. "I would definitely make sure to keep my kitty away from such an excitable dog," she commented and for a moment considered how she was going to accommodate the said kitty in her room. Perhaps she'd have to plead for permission else they would both be kicked out. Or she'd have to look for a place to rent. "Is Hattie a big dog?" she wanted to know.

"You better do not tell Eryn's father that the said member of the cavalry is quite inexperienced," Hadassa laughed. "Or there would be no chances of any adventure, even of the local kind."

Steward of Gondor
@Ercassie @Pele Alarion
|

"Ha, or that the 'qualified healer' is actually just an apprentice?" Xyler suggested with a grin, amused.

Eryn laughed. "Yes. I think I might give it a try. If I ask him just right, then maybe he won't protest too much." She smiled, thinking about various ways she might be able to convince him. "Perhaps I ought to go and find him now, so I can get started on asking. If I get permission though," She paused, frowning slightly. "Would you be able to get the time away?" She asked Xyler. She looked around for where to put the partial apple core left after she'd eaten her fourth of the apple, then put it in her pocket to give to the horse later.

Xyler paused to consider that, while finishing off his apple piece. "Maybe. I can always ask. I've not taken a day off since I've been there. Even today, I worked the morning shift, so I could come and see what all the fuss was about this festival." he mentioned, thoughtful. "So, maybe I could get a few days. I'll ask." He smiled, feeling quite hopeful in this.

"Alright then," Eryn grinned. She also couldn't wait to get back and tell her father all about the beautiful horse she had found, but she didn't say as much aloud. "I'll bet our fathers would be happy to have us out of the way for a bit," She joked, to Nal. "Especially if we take Hattie along." She smiled at Hadassa. "Yes, she's big enough to put her paws up on my shoulders." She answered, grinning. "Which she does, often." She added with a laugh. "I'll go right now, and see if I can talk dad into letting me go." She decided, eager to get to have some sort of fun adventure. "I'll see you all later!" She waved and set off right then, to head back to where the group had set up camp.

She didn't ask for Nal to come along, because she thought he might rather stick around and socialize with their new friends a bit longer. And she certainly didn't need an escort to make sure she found her way, nor did she feel as if there was any danger to be worried about. Not to mention, that it might be a little easier to convince her dad to allow her to come, if Nal wasn't there saying anything silly that might make him feel as if the young ranger wasn't properly responsible.

"Impending army of orcs?" Xyler asked, curious as he watched Eryn skip off happily across the fields. "You've faced actual orcs?" He looked at Unalmis, rather impressed. "I suppose you must have, what with the war, and that battle at your very doors," he realized. "Sorry... it seemed like so far away, to hear about it. But I guess it wasn't so far away, for you." He had been too young to try joining up with the warriors marching off to battle, and his grandmother had strongly encouraged him to stay with her and learn the healing skills which would be in such demand, later, when the soldiers came home. He was glad for that, now, as he had, since then, realized that the whole 'fighting enemies' thing was not for him.

@Rillewen @Pele Alarion

Unalmis Raxëlilta

Wait, are you pair trying to talk us out of this now ?Unalmis laughed as first Hadassa and then Xyler rushed to downplay their qualifications for the tour. He shook his head still amused, as Eryn asked for sure if their new friends could take the time off work.

Absolutely,” he agreed soon after with the girl, expecting indeed the very relief that he imagined his father, and her’s, would have, if their respective offspring and the dog as well, were off and away from trailing after them, being likely all bored as the parents tended to ‘business’. Neither he or Eryn had been initially invited on this little vacation to Rohan in the first place, but neither one of them would hear of being left behind and had more than cajoled their way into coming. As though their fathers were off on some exciting quest, the likes of which they both had heard as children, and now did not want to miss out on seeing. To realise that it was actually just some business thing .. had been rather a disappointment. But the journey had been interesting to say the least, and now that they were here, there was clearly much to experience for their own sakes.

Eryn did not hang about, and waved in a breathless farewell as she set off to start the persuasion. Unalmis glanced after her as she departed, throwing the core remains of his apple piece, and catching it idly in one hand, as though he really wasn’t checking up on her. “If she’s smart, she’ll ask her father for the horse, and then when he says no, ask ‘just to go on this small trip’ instead then, as some compensation,” he grinned. Knowing Eryn she had something of that sort, or even more wily, up her sleeve. But Nal was distracted by Xyler’s enquiring of Orcs.

Well, yes. But really only since the war,” he admitted, thinking of the mission in Poros most recently. “There’s still pockets of resistance and surviving packs which crop up occasionally, but the King is ceaseless in his efforts. Whenever he hears of any Orcs still kicking about and making a mischief of themselves, he sees it taken care of.” The Gondorian was poised to ask if either of the locals here had seen anything of the invasion of the Westfold. But given the Dunlending flavour amongst that force, decided not to risk being rude. The last thing he wanted to do was make Hadassa feel uncomfortable. Especially as they were preparing to part ways.

Truth is though, since we’re all admitting how completely 'unprepared' and 'unfit' we are for this heading off into the mountains,” he grinned, not looking too concerned. After all, it was good that they were all being upfront and honest, rather than find out later. “I literally finished my training just days before the City was attacked. I actually met Eryn when I was escorting folks out and away from the battle, to have them evacuated. My 'great war effort'," he pulled a face, "was taking people away from their homes, so that they might survive to rebuild when it was safe to come back and do that.” Not exactly the exciting war story they might have been hoping for, from a Ranger. Seeing that Eryn had by now been granted a long enough head start, Unalmis decided that he’d probably been boring his new friends with the story for quite long enough. Too long, probably.

Maybe we shall all be more ‘experienced’ by the end of this little excursion ?Unalmis put to Hadassa with a shrug. “Sometimes you never know what you are capable of, until you have a go at it. Xyler knows the way, and even still it does promise to be quite an experience. I’d best get along after her though," he sighed, "else the old guys won’t think very much of my being able to keep an eye on her, will they ? Where do you want to meet tomorrow, though, and what time ?

Once that was decided, Unalmis bid his new friends farewell, just for now, and set off in the direction Eryn had, not long before. Her headstart meant that he could make it a race to catch up. Besides that it was good practice for him to try and get as near as he could to his friend before she noticed. It was good practice for her too, learning to sense his approach. They’d played the game before and doubtless would again.

Tomorrow there would begin brand new experiences, an adventure, preferably good. The festival they’d just enjoyed was a celebration of a new season beginning after all. And a friendship, inspired by the alliance of their respective nations, had already begun to burst forth, ready to blossom, as do all things that start in the Spring.
Last edited by Ercassie on Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

@Ercassie , @Rillewen

"Ahhh, a good sized dog then! Definitely won't let her get to my kitten," Hadassa chuckled as she imagined how Hattie would rush at her and roll both her and kitten in the dirt in the excitement. And she was not about to let it happen.

"Ya..." she murmured and watched the girl leave to get the necessary permissions for the quickly planned travel. And then she cleared her throat and objected to Nal: "By no means I would dissuade us from the adventure, but just saying."

However, when Unalmis went on to describe his experiences during the Great War in response to question posed by Xyler, Hadassa's eyes grew big as she soaked up every word. It seemed like a story out of history books to her even though it had not happened that long ago, and actually meeting someone who lived there and had participated was a whole new level. Of course, she had heard accounts from the veterans of the cavalry who had gone to aid Gondor, but it was different.

"Oh my," she only managed to say at first, and then shook her head in refusal to accept that any silly adventure they might have would provide a comparable experience. She already had gained much respect for Unalmis by hearing of his part in the war, even though it might not have been as involved as the young man himself had hoped.

"Why don't we meet like, around here," she suggested, since they all had already been here, and suggesting a new place would require explanations of how to get there. Once they had made agreements, she looked after Unalmis for a few moments as he set off after Eryn, and then turned back to Xyler.

"Well, quite a day, I'd say. More fun than I ever expected," she remarked, and hoped that their barely planned adventure would provide a new dimension to her life. One filled with good friends and not so lonesome.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Xyler

Listening with fascination to Unalmis' tale, Xyler tried to picture how that must have been. He'd heard tales from others about the battle, and had experienced an evacuation of his own after so many of the people of Westfold had to take refuge in the Glittering Caves, including his own village people. He and his grandmother had helped a great deal with tending to the injured, in the aftermath of the battle of the Hornburg. He had only heard a few tales from those who returned from the battle in the Pelennor, but it hadn't really occurred to him until now, to think of all those Gondorian folks having to evacuate to safety, just like they'd done.

As Unalmis concluded his tale about that experience, and declared it was time he caught up with his friend, Xyler smiled. "Yes, how about we meet here?" he agreed with Hadassa, and then waved as Unalmis set off. "See you later!" He called, hopeful that they would both have success in convincing Eryn's father to let her go along.

"Yes, quite a day," He agreed, turning to Hadassa once it was just the two of them left. "I definitely didn't expect to meet even one friend, let alone three." He grinned. "Are you leaving as well, or did you want to check out the festival any further?" He wondered, unsure if they were all going their separate ways now, or what. "I've got the rest of the afternoon free, myself." he added with a shrug.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

"I'm glad I am not the only one who is happy about gaining new friends," Hadassa said, and the words did not even show a part of how warmed up her heart felt of knowing that she was not alone here, left to fight hard for the right to live properly.

She lifted the kitten up to her face and buried her nose into its soft fur before settling it back into the crook of her arm. Her dark eyes looked around the festival grounds searching for something to investigate.

"I still have time too," she said, her gaze returning to Xyler. "What would you want to explore first? I am not sure what they have... it seems like there's a whole lot of stuff everywhere."

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Xyler

Xyler smiled in reply to Hadassa's comment. "Yeah, same." Having grown up in the small village without any of the other kids befriending him, he knew well how it was to be without friends. He'd been here in Edoras for a while now, without really knowing anyone. While the other healers and apprentice healers were friendly enough, he hadn't really met anyone that he'd consider a friend to hang out with. In fact, up until now, he'd only had the opportunity to make friends with two people in his entire life, and neither of those were people he saw much at all.

"Hmm," He looked around at the festival grounds as Hadassa asked him what they should do now. "Well, we could try one of those games over there," He suggested, unsure what all the games were. They'd been to the tombola one, but not any of the others. "Let's see what those are about, shall we?" He suggested, smiling as he set off that way, and assumed that she wouldn't have any objections to following.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

"All right, games it is then," Hadassa agreed, hastening to keep up with Xyler when he headed in the direction he had chosen. She looked around curiously, taking in not only the games but also various people playing them or simply milling around.

"Look, Xyler, ring toss!" she exclaimed, pointing with her free hand to where she saw someone trying to throw wooden rings onto pegs secured in the ground. "I could definitely give it a try. What about you? Are you a good shot?"

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Xyler

"Ring toss," Xyler grinned as he approached, watching a few others play the game. "Sure, how hard could it be?" He asked, deciding it looked fairly simple. He moved into the line so they could take their turn after the person currently playing had finished, and when their turn came up, he motioned for Hadassa to go ahead of him. "Ladies first. Would you like me to hold your kitten?"

While he was waiting for her to take her turn at it, he took a look at the various prizes available, trying to decide what might be the best option, for in case he did well at it. There were a few things of interest, and he figured he'd wait to see how his turn ended up, before deciding on what prize to select. He turned his attention back to watching Hadassa take her turn.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa
@Rillewen

Hadassa observed the process of the game for a moment and then looked at Xyler with a small grin. "It might be deceptively easy, like some of the exercises cavalry makes me do," she said with a small laugh. However, if an eye was accurate and a hand was confident, it might really not be difficult.

Once she was handed the rings, she turned towards Xyler to let him take the kitten. "Do take her, else I might end up cat-tossing accidentally," she commented, and then stood at the ribbon which marked the line from which the rings had to be thrown. Five rings, five opportunities. Her hand explored the wooden surface of one of the rings while her gaze focused on the peg in the very centre. She was not really sure if the pegs had points assigned, but perhaps at least if she aimed for the middle, it would be more likely that she'd manage to get the rings at least on some peg.

Hadassa took her time to aim carefully, and then threw the ring, making it land exactly where she had planned. "Yes!" she exclaimed jubilantly, and proceeded with the next, though with less care in her excitement. The next ring popped unto the peg which was on the right from the middle one. The third flew much further than she intended, a couple feet beyond any pegs. "Now, this won't do!" she chided herself, and then made the fourth ring land on top of the second, while the fifth got stuck in between the pegs instead of one or the other.

"Three out of five... not too shabby, though considering my vocation I should have been better!" she gave an honest opinion of her achievements and chose a small box of round candies for a prize.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Xyler

Taking the little fuzzball gently from Hadassa, Xyler smiled as he rubbed around the kitten's little ears. "Such a cute little thing, isn't it?" He laughed as it climbed up on his shoulder, sniffing and exploring his ear and hair. "Hey, that tickles." He protested, trying to turn his head so his ear was inaccessible.

After managing to extract the kitten's tiny claws from his shirt, he cuddled it down in the crook of his arm, trying to keep it there the best that he could. "Good shot," he commented, watching her fourth try land on top of one of the previous ones. As she wrapped up her turn, he shook his head slightly. "I'm impressed, anyway. I'll bet it's harder than it looks." He mentioned. He wasn't actually so sure that he would be able to do as well as her, but he was going to give it a try.

"Here's your kitten back," he offered. "Although, I'd suggest you keep it away from those candies." Xyler wasn't tremendously familiar with cats and other small animals, but he knew that candies and things like that weren't really that great for them. Once his hands were free of the kitten, he stepped up to try his own skills at the ring toss.

Taking the five rings, he stacked them together in his left hand, while his right hand took one of the rings, and made his first attempt. He tossed a bit too far, and it missed completely. He sighed, but at least he knew how hard to toss it. The second one hit one of the pegs and bounced off, flying far beyond the pegs to land in the grass. The third one seemed like it was going to do the same, but after it had bounced upward, it then came down and 'danced' in a circle around the top of the peg on the left for a moment before gradually settling onto it. He grinned. "Yes!"

He still had two more tries left, too. He took a deep breath and focused a bit more on what he was doing, then tossed the fourth one, trying not to toss too hard. It flopped miserably on the ground without reaching the pegs at all, and he sighed. Last one. He tried to line up the angle, hesitating about tossing it until after a couple of times nearly tossing it. Once he finally released it, he watched it anxiously, but quickly lost any hope of getting it on a peg. The ring flew over the top of the pegs and hit a post that went to something that was just a little way past this game. Hitting the post, the ring then ricocheted back toward the pegs in the ground, and then by some miracle, landed right onto the center peg. Xyler blinked, his jaw dropping slightly. He looked over at Hadassa in disbelief. "Did you see that?" He asked, astonished.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
Hadassa

"Nah, no candies for the kitty," Hadassa confirmed with a smile as she lifted the kitten from Xyler's arms and reached back over her shoulder to slide the little pet into her hood. She assumed it would be deep enough to make for a safe and cozy place for the kitten unless it had a mind to explore rather than sleep calmly.

"It is not overly easy, but not overly difficult either," she commented on the achievements in ring throwing, then picked one of the candies and enjoyed its raspberry flavour as she watched Xyler's efforts.

It seemed that he mostly threw the rings too far or too close, but yet two of them did land, the last in a very interesting manner. "Ha! You did it, and the pole helped you!" she exclaimed and clapped, causing the little cat to climb slightly out of the hood to peer about at all the loud excitement. "Not that bad at all," she decided and flashed Xyler a smile.

Steward of Gondor
@Pele Alarion

Xyler

He still couldn't believe the luck of that last toss, and turned back to look at the results. He had won the game, so he was allowed to pick out a prize. But what to pick? He looked at the options available, and selected an item that he thought his grandmother would like. He smiled as he slipped it into his pocket, thinking of the possibility that he might come visit her before long.

"Well, what now?" He asked as they left the game with their prizes. "Shall we find another game to play, or what?" He wasn't sure what other games there were, and also he figured he ought to keep track of his money, or else he might run out before too long. "Do you think you'll be able to take a day or two away from your duties?" He wondered, thinking of their plan to go to his village. "I also wonder if our new Gondorian friends will be able to come along." He added thoughtfully.

High Warden of Tower
@Rillewen
Hadassa

Hadassa did not manage to get a good look at what it was Xyler had picked for his prize, but she decided to tame her curiosity and not bother him with it.

"Well, I don't know," she said to his asking. "We could see what else is there to play, though I feel like I should not drag my new kitty friend around for very long lest she get away and get lost someplace." Even so, her eyes roamed the festival grounds as far as she could see, searching for more entertainment.

At Xyler's other question, Hadassa looked back to him. "I figure I might get some days off if I ask nicely and promise to do an extra chore or two afterwards. I just have to get the cat situated somewhere safe and where she would be taken care of." Once again she looked around and then back to him. "Yes, I do hope they can join. It wouldn't be that much fun without them, right? Now that we have just come to know them and could have some adventures together."