Imladris Activities General OOC Thread

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
Archer of Lothlorien
Thank you for the warm welcomes, guys! It's good to be back!

New Soul
Missed this place for a couple years, Tenharien!

I've edited the Lindon and Mirkwood Free RP title so roleplayers can be aware that it's a place for Elves of Mirkwood as well as Elves and Dwarves of Lindon. More on Ered Luin Dwarves forthcoming!

For everyone who might be eagerly anticipating an Ages of Arda comeback, I'm hosting our epic historical saga on Rivvy's site which was made years ago shortly after the Old Plaza shut down; I'm on both that one (as Hatholdir, a Mole of Gondolin Elf character I had on the Old Plaza) and this New Plaza. I already have ready the gameplan of the next RPG, Mantle of Darkness, chronicling the Bragollach War and the Quest of the Silmaril; Ercassie and Moriel have seen it. We are wrapping up a few things which still need doing from Children of Endor though so some Free RP threads are being made to take care of that; I already have created one for the Gap of Maglor and Himring now https://lordoftherings.freeforums.net/t ... aglor-free https://lordoftherings.freeforums.net/t ... ng-free-rp . More are coming from Ercassie , Moriel, and I. Rivvy and Moriel will be playing with us but I'm hoping we get back older AoA vets like @Aerlinn and some new faces! Our goal is to use the First Age region setup to get the next RPG done faster and enjoy each chapter's fitting placement by area. More writing is always good.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Warrior of Imladris
@Aigronding Mordagnir Awaiting Erestor in the Last Homely House RP.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Healer of Imladris
Y'all are sure moving things along! I'll just putter along in the back here.

Anyways, I thought Immy could use an OOC game thread, like mad libs or the riddlers in Fangorn and the Shire. I was thinking of making something inspired by a game called Bring Your Own Book, which is basically a version of Apples to Apples.

In real life, everyone chooses a book at the beginning of the game and has it at the table with them. The person who's "It" deals a prompt card (like "the title of a murder mystery novel" or "a line from a teenagers diary") and you search through your book for the best/funniest response. (better description here: https://www.bringyourownbook.com/)

I'll work out the rest of the logistics shortly, but what I'm torn on is this -- do I go all Tolkien, or should people be able to draw answers from the source of their choice? I could also assign different genres/authors to different rounds. On one hand, I like to keep the Kingdoms fairly Tolkien-centric, on the other, some of the most hilarious answers I've ever seen for this game came from Emily Post's Etiquette guide. :smiley9:

So, thoughts? Prefrences? Do whatever you want, Linny?
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Elven Enchanter
@Aerlinn If it’s a kingdom game, maybe try and keep it semi Tolkien centric. Perhaps only using Inklings authors? That would include Lewis, Chesterton, and Charles Williams and probably a few others.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

New Soul
I'll be there soon, Lirimaer! Cassie and I were talking yesterday how to introduce our characters there just last night. I have a shift soon in RL today but I should be there by tomorrow's end, no work.

Aerlinn, I'm pretty sure I recall you making a Tolkien-themed Apples to Apple's thread on the Eriador ooc board years ago. You could do that here in Immy!

Guardian of Imladris
Hey friends! With Aig's blessing I am going to be heading up the new Adab Nestad, or Houses of Healing. I'm working on putting it together right now and wanted to reach out in case anyone wanted to get involved. I have Cando as Tar Turwen, @Moriel, as long as you're still interested? Would you be interested in running the training program as well? I was thinking about paring the whole thing back to keep it relatively simple at this point, so unless someone else wants to run a training program I'm not sure that I'll include that quite yet.

Warrior of Imladris
Aigronding Mordagnir :smiley22: No problem. I'll keep an eye out.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Balrog
Since this isn't Mordor, I'll be a little more respectful and not spam the place up. That being said, I have a question for ye fair elves. The IK Poetry Competitions. Is this something any of you would like to see come back in this Plaza 2.0 world? Do you think that the idea is, in fact, a foolish endeavor that I'd be mad to restart? Do you even like poetry? Also, this is all Winddancer's fault for encouraging me.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Councillor of Imladris
@Frost I'd say go for it! And do we necessarily have to limit it to poetry? Could we do flash fiction (<250 words) or artwork/photography as well?

Crafts Master
Hello folks! Is this an appropriate place to advertise for writers for the new KD newsletter that I have just started?

Crafts Master
viewtopic.php?f=15&p=3571#p3571

Greetings everybody!

Khazaddum has recently started their own Newsletter, The Mirromere. We would love everyone from each kingdom to contribute to it. It can be anything. Poetry, prose, a pencil sketch, a painting, a short story. Literally anything creative. If this is something that would interest you, pop on over to our Editor's Office (link above) and put your name down.

Thanks!
Thorin

Black Númenórean
@Quill To be perfectly honest one of the reasons I didn't want to run Adab Nestad was because I didn't want to be in charge of the training program :smiley16: But I'm happy to help, especially if it's pared down. And yes, Cándo is in as Tar Turwen!

@Frost spam! spam! spam! spam! :smiley9:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Guardian of Imladris
@Moriel That's totally fair haha! I was thinking about making the "promotion system" based on participation/activity instead of a training program, so maybe we can just start with that and if someone else wants to jump in on the training we can add it in later?

Black Númenórean
@Quill That's basically what we're doing in the Mordor military right now- seems like a good way to go as we're just starting out! Come have a gander at the Black Host if you want to see the ideas Windy put together for logistics

Guardian of Imladris
@Moriel Wow, that's intense, and very inspiring. I might do something similar but less complex!

Balrog
@Moriel I'll spam the daylights out of Mordor, but I can't do it to other kingdoms. I used to work in the music review industry and I got spammed with so much bad music that the thought of even getting close to spamming like that makes me nauseous.

@FireroseArien as a short story author (I am just finishing up something that might be publishable), *cough* sorry for the self-promotion. I think that's a freaking fantastic idea! I love it!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Councillor of Imladris
@Frost Yeeeeeeesss .... I've written quite a bit myself, but only have published sports stuff, whoops. Anyway, I think anything that encourages creativity should be encouraged. If you need any help, LMK, I'm @Firerosearien on discord or shoot me a message on FB - I don't think there are PMs on here (....yet...)

Scholar of Gondor
Greetings, dear Elvish folk! I've been scouring my PC for old posts & descriptions and I found one I wrote out for the Apothecary of Adab Nestad (your version of the Gondorian Houses of Healing). I thought you might like to have it. Feel free to use it or change it as it suits your needs. Enjoy! Love, Findy (Apothecary Owner & Healer, Minas Tirith) :smiley17:

The Apothecary of Adab Nestad is a gazebo-style round outer building with marble columns, in corner of garden. Near the entrance is a fire (a miniature of the one in the Hall of Fire), around which visitors can rest in tranquility on carven stools, decorated with various forms of flora and fauna. Here, recovering patients, walking wounded, gardeners, healers, workers can enjoy fresh air while looking over the Garden.

Hanging over the fire is a cauldron on a long iron chain attached to iron rods intersecting above. The water is used for making of curative teas that visitors can enjoy as dispensed by the herbalists as well as enjoy the loveliness of the surrounding gardens.

Inside both the inner and outer Apothecary areas are long tables and rolls of twine at which workers can tie up bunches of herbs to hang up-side down from the ceilings of the gazebo and inner dispensary room.

The round columns and ceiling of the gazebo intersect at the back at a corner of the Adab Nestad building, leading to an archway door to an inner room (Rooms 12 and 12 together on the map) where some of the more complicated preparations are prepared and stored. Here will be hung the riskier herbs, such as deadly nightshade, henbane and hemlock, which require the more experienced Apothecarists to prepare and dispense directly to patients or to educate healers in Adab Nestad to allot to patients. These must be handled with utmost caution and the inner doors to AN and outer doors leading out to the gazebo are kept under lock and key to prevent patients and children from wandering in.

Inner and outer rooms for preparing herbs, teas, tisanes, mixtures, salves, rubs, poultices, etc. Stocked with all the paraphernalia required by Apothecarists. Much is kept in decorative chests and jars so as not to appear untidy.

There is a wooden lattice across the expanse of the ceilings of both inner and outer chambers, upon which are attached small iron hooks of varying lengths and sizes. Attached to the hooks are hundreds and hundreds of twine-tied herb bundles, hung by their stems. The aroma is enticing rather than overpowering.

As the gentle breezes flow softly through the gazebo it causes the hanging plants to twist delicately and wave back and forth. This causes the flowery, healing scents to intermingle and waft their way around the gardens and even out into the surrounding buildings and valley, dispersing a sense of calm to its inhabitants and visitors.

Things to Use:

-weights and scales
-drawer labels
-mortars and pestles
-cauldrons
-earthenware jars with lids
-tea cups for dispensing medicinal teas
-glass bottles with lids
-brown wrapping paper
-twine
-hooks for hanging herbs
-besom (broom)
-goose grease
-oil lamps
-honey
-bees wax
-lamp oil
-glassware for measuring
candles with or without warmers above

Things to do:

-start building up herb, salves, tisanes, etc. inventory
-bundle and tie up herbs to hang upside down from ceiling hooks for drying
-prepare herbal teas/tisanes for patients or just for the enjoyment of whoever would like some
-make repairs as needed
-spread floor rushes
-take inventory
-organize herbs

Herbs (partial, will be added to regularly):

Boneset: tonic, stimulant, coughs, colds (grown in marshy soil of Anduin or in Anórien south of the Entwash)

Alecost: soothes colds (from the sunny southern climate of Haudh in Gwanûr)

Chamomile: cleanses the blood (requires sun; Adab Nestad garden)

herb benne
t which could be used as a substitute for cloves (wouldn’t Nienna be pleased to hear that?!) and could also be used to increase appetite, stop bleeding and reduce fever;

spotted alder (witch hazel) to make tinctures for bruises, sprains, varicose veins;

lovage for flavouring soups and used as a digestive. All of these she picked with the roots and with what leaves and blossoms as could be found at this time of year.

Common Agrimony:
cinquefoil leaves arranged in alternate large and small pairs. Burred spearheads. Used to stop bleeding as well as in yellow dye.

Mountain Orach: thread-like spikes of red flowers. Used as a spring tonic to treat tiredness or exhaustion.

Liquorice: vetch-like with long fibrous taproot. Made into a tea for the treatment of bronchial catarrh and sore throats and to reduce fever.
Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin on Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scholar of Gondor
I hope you don't mind me posting these separately. It'll keep them from getting mixed up. ~Findy :smiley17: You guys may have something else already under construction. In that case, that's okay. I just wanted to give these descriptions a home other than my PC.

Adab Nestab
The Grounds

(Image courtesy of Mar Fireblade Mordaganir)

Adab Nestad –

A large and pillared whitestone building with four wings. There are gardens and an apothecary building in its central courtyard where the healer's medicinal herbs are planted and healing cordials are made.

Here is a Reception Area where healers discover who they need to mend; they may also sign up for service with the Halcyon Guard and the Dúnedain. Patients may request a healer here; family, friends, or strangers may do so for the injured and sick they have brought to the healing house.

The Archives are a place where Taidors are trained and for more experienced healers can do research.

The kitchen and the healers’ Lounge are for off-duty healers to relax or they may order prepared meals for their patients; visitors may also dine here.

North and South, East and West Wings –

Each wing contains 12 treatment rooms and four recovery rooms.

Emergency Stables –

Located outside the main building, just to the east of it. There are 5 stalls for healers and guests.

Cottages of the Healers –

Surrounded by lovely gardens and fair woods and majestic waterfalls, there are two dozen cottages for healers who would like to live at Adab Nestad; you may request one at Reception and name it if you so desire.
Its address will be mentioned in the Eriador Addresses II thread on the Eriador Main.
Whoever becomes the Minestor will keep a list here in the Archives of cottages which are occupied; first come, first served.
[/color][/color]

COTTAGE 7 - Rented by Quill

Guardian of Imladris
OH MY GOODNESS Findy you are a lifesaver! We have been looking everywhere for that map! Thank you!

New Soul
I forgot that I had to work today, Lirimaer, but I am off tomorrow (rechecked my schedule) and will get much writing done, including Last Homely House! Yesterday night after work I only had the time to work more on Aig's bio for the Submissions thread before bed.

You are so sweet, Findy!! This will help Quill and our healers greatly!

Scholar of Gondor
Oh good! I'm glad these can be of some use. I also have the list of Healer Ranks with the icons to go with them. I thought I'd check first to see if you need them, since they're a little more fiddly to save to imgbb, but I'll be happy to make that a project today if you like (I have time!). When we switched to 3rd Age, Findy transferred over to Imladris for a short time a couple of years ago, but now she's back in Gondor in the 4th Age.

Balrog
@FireroseArien Sports writing was never my thing but I have mad respect for anyone that could do it. I did underground music for awhile and that was a headache and a half everyday. I would always welcome beta reading, though I should warn you I write weird fiction with a capital W so be prepared for things like sentient cloud monsters, pitcher plants disguised as buildings, and ghost towns that get in your head and make you say things you don't want.
And naturally, I would like to extend my services as well, such as they are, to you and your writing!

Councillor of Imladris
@Frost I was referring to help with the IK competition thread, hahaha. But of course I'd be happy to help otherwise, just shoot me a message! I need to start writing again, maybe when I'm done with all this quarantine knitting/needlepoint, the Plaza II will get all my juices going...

Balrog
@FireroseArien leave it to me to go off down a rabbit hole that I dug myself :lol: I think the best help you can give me is just entering the contest when I put it up on Friday. Since it was my crazy impulse to do it in the first place, I'll do the judge work (unless you *really* want to help with that) and let everyone else have fun.
I always encourage people to start writing again, the Plaza has already given me a ton of ideas both LOTR related and my own wacked out version of horror.

Councillor of Imladris
Hmmm....I can enter for sure, but if you need a judge in the future I'm definitely around. I'm not a huge poetry person so I repeat my request to include other forms of writing or art as well

Balrog
I definitely want and will (Valar willing) do a lot more diverse contests in the future. I want to see what kind of exquisite corpses this Plaza can come up with, see what people can do with a hook the judge writes for them, piece of music, artwork, photography, all the good stuff because I think this place is capable of greatness! I want to start off easy though, draw people in with limericks and then chain them to the walls with 5,000 word short stories with weekly deadlines.

Black Númenórean
@Aigronding Mordagnir Looks like no one else is jumping on the Four Winds position! Do you want to add a note in the Osdolen OP about Abrazân being tavernkeeper? :smiley17:

New Soul
I think Quill has those but please post them here, Findy, just in case :smiley17: ! I'll be writing in Gondor some time soon as Beren.

I'll edit Abrazân in as tavernkeeper tonight after work, Moriel :smiley11: ! You may post anytime you like, Rochindil may be thirsty 😂🍺 .

Does anyone want Halbarad and lead the Grey Company on a Ranger mission for this Osdolen thread
?

Scholar of Gondor
Here are the Healer Ranks as of a few years ago. I'll leave out the fancy schmancy colors & bolding, as you'll probably want to do that yourself anyway. :smiley17:

Healer Ranks/Roster, Icons, and Promotion Guidelines

Minestor: Elrond Halfelven

Custodian of Adab Nestad. Responsible for training and healers. Creates the Rosters.

Tinestor : - Arwen Undomiel-

The Minestor's chief lieutenant. Is head of the house of healing only if the Minestor is absent. Updates the Rosters.

Tar Turwen / Tar Tur (Female/Male) - High Master Healer:

Only a very few will be granted the title of High Master, those who have proven their dedication, skill, and talent to not only the Minestor but to rulers of Rivendell throughout history.
If present, their expertise must be heeded in all healing matters of the valley.

Quill,
Mar Fireblade Mordagnir,
Aelriel and Annlin, and Annamíri (Beren's NPCs)

Turwen Nestor / Tur Nestor (Female/Male) – Master Healer:

Master Healers have shown exceptional dedication to the House of Healing and are very knowledgeable about all areas of Elven healing.
They will mentor junior healers; perform difficult operations; and help assign patients.

Númellóte
Kiranell,
Tavari (Moriel's NPC),

Nestor – Healer
Able to tend to all patients without additional supervision; experienced in wound care, herbal remedies, and all foundational methods of Elven healing.
They can mentor Aphadors.

Aigronding (Beren's NPC)
Veasse (Angel's NPC),
Rian.
Veowyn Girarion
Calardis (Ercassie's NPC),

Aphador- Apprentice:
Healers who are finished with the basic course will hold this rank and will hone their skills at Adab Nestad with minimal supervision.

Erdolliel and Merilin (Nen's NPCs),
Ithiliel,
Adalmund,
Lenneth (Tarawen's NPC),
Saernin (Kiranell's NPC)
Sorrowhawk (Greyfang's NPC),
Nariel (Ercassie's NPC),
Gilriel (Roq's NPC),
Isolde Alarion
Aewrusca (Beren's NPC)
Thorion (Veowyn's NPC)

Taidor - Trainee: Healer recruits, training.
To be promoted from Taidor to Aphador, a person must finish the basic healing course.

Bellawen (Veowyn's NPC)

All other promotions are based on activity and demonstrated experience/responsibility within the role of healer.
Tallies shall be kept of activity and quality of experience shall be judged by the Minestor
Last edited by Ercassie; Yesterday at 04:25 PM. Reason: Updates
“We are such stuff as dreams are made on.”
- Prospero

Black Númenórean
@Quill Cándo was Tinestor in the past, so if you want to use these ranks and have our chars be Minestor/Tinestor rather than Tar Turwen that works for me! I'm find either way.

Thank you Findy!!

New Soul
@Rivvy Elf is it okay if I mention in Aigronding's bio that a Mole character of mine (No, not Hatholdir or Hrango) was enamoured of Ohtarien who spurned him and ultimately tossed him over the battlements near Idril's home in the Fall?
Last edited by Eriol on Thu May 21, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Númenórean
@Aigronding Mordagnir You have to click on the name that pops down from the list as you type for mentions to turn red and work :smiley17:

New Soul
I must have not tapped the laptop screen hard enough, Moriel, thanks :smiley9: :smiley11:

Warrior of Imladris
Aigronding Mordagnir wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 pm I forgot that I had to work today, Lirimaer, but I am off tomorrow ...
Ah, I missed this. It's okay, I found something else to do in the meantime. ;)

Warrior of Imladris
@Quill - Just before the old Plaza was crashed, Laintaen began training in Adab Nestab (under her old name Laitaine). I think I remember she passed the training course and was helping her first patient, I guess making it to Aphador level, though she isn't listed in @Finduilas Faelivrin post. If possible, I'd like to be able to jump Laintaen back in at Aphador level when the Adab Nestab is back up.

Additionally, are you on a private RP in the Valley thread? Or can Laintaen encounter you?
I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
she / her

Guardian of Imladris
@Laintaen You can absolutely be an Aphador! I will put you down on the list. Hopefully the thread will be up by the weekend. And you are totally welcome to encounter me in the Valley thread! I would love that :)

@Moriel Cool, I think in that case Quill will be Minestor and Cándo will be Tinestor!

Warrior of Imladris
Thanks Quill. I'll dig up my old healing herbs notes and get a Valley post up in the next few days.
I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
she / her

New Soul
I've taken days writing Aig's bio for Character Submissions but I'm finally finished now at 4:42 AM. I just need to add pics and quotes, post it, then write for Last Homely House. My apologies to those waiting. I have to work today but I'm hoping I can get the bio loaded before I clock in during the afternoon and then start Last Homely House in the night.

Black Númenórean
Well since nobody else jumped on the chance, I've posted as Abrazân as the tavernkeeper of the Four Winds in Osdolen!

@Dimcairien Luiniel feel free to come in either asking for the job or already established as his assistant, either way is fine with me :smiley17:

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Dropped a *little* :smiley15: biography for Nariel in your neighbourhood, Aig, in case I find some time to have her idle around Imladris etc. Hope I didn't miss anything important out ! :smiley16:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Balrog
I created Rachanar with the express desire to avoid the crazy amount of backstories Elves can carry around with them :smiley16: besides that, an amnesiac Elf is too good an idea to pass up

Healer of Imladris
@Moriel I finally escaped the clutches of Mordor! :smiley16: I hope you'll forgive my GM'ed pies and window ledge. Presto has uh...approached Alagon IC, so to speak. He's a bit of a booger. I'm sorry, but he isn't. :smiley8:
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Elven Enchanter
@Moriel thanks for the heads up. I’ll figure out something this afternoon/evening as I need to come up with a new character for that area. Most likely it’ll be someone asking for a job.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

New Soul
I love your bio, Cassie!! I'm going to begin posting in the Last Homely House tonight in response to RPers there and I will introduce Tharmaras and our NPC son :smiley11: :smiley17: !

I posted the First Age history of Aig's life but I'll add in Parts II and III tonight regarding what he experienced in the 2nd and 3rd Ages! I'll also be editing what I've already posted

Black Númenórean
@Aerlinn It's ok, I GM'ed right back :smiley16: Booger gets as good as he gives :smiley15:

New Soul
@Aerlinn messaged me and asked to be the kennelmaster, so appointing her the keeper of hounds in Osdolen :D ! Soon as my sister gives me a name :smiley9: .

Archer of Lothlorien
Hopefully work doesn't kill my RP time too much but it's damn good to be writing again. Writing here anyway.

New Soul
Me, too, Ten! I'm done editing the first portion of Aig's bio now. I'm just starting to begin my Last Homely House post before getting to other threads.

Anyone interested in seeing a Bree market go up where Elven, Dwarven, Mortals, Hobbirts, and Rangers could go? Would anyone like to be sellers?