I See Things Art and Photos

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
High Lord of Imladris
Ohhh I like this idea it's gorgeous, and I can see some of the skulls in it as well but I have to agree that Pele is right it also very much looks like lace a fantastic skull styled lace.

I like the focus, which makes it so you can see things like the fine teeth on some of the clovers

Khazad Elder
Thanks, guys! Well, it's been a while. Here is another October shot I had on my camera. A maple seed pod, maple helicopter/ whirlybird lying on a stone walk. It looks like a tadpole in the water. :grin:

The world was fair in Durin's Day

New Soul
Drifa: I looked through your thread, nice photos and real cool drawings! I look out for more.
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Aikári!

I took these photos not long ago. They do not capture the girth or height of this great elm, but the perspective of me sitting under it in the first one and shooting up is interesting. And another of it right side up. :smile:

Ent Ancient
Your trees are gorgeous, I especially love the top photo looking up from beneath the tree! I'd love to sit beneath it. I didn't see many elms growing up because Dutch Elm Disease devastated the local population; they are trees to be treasured for sure!

High Warden of Tower
That is one HUGE tree! At least there's no ropes course in it... lol

Khazad Elder
It is a big tree! There are still quite a few around my area—some huge ones like that fella above. I am still intrigued with chewed-up leaves. I think they are pretty. :grin:
Last edited by Drifa on Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khazad Elder
We watched this little squirrel for a few hours as it lay on a branch in the heat.

High Warden of Tower
@Drifa You should participate in some sort of competitions for National Geographic! With leaf art and... that squirrel is just so great!

Balrog
Having lived through many a Southwestern summer, I feel that squirrel so much, and every year it seems to get more intense :lol: Excellent work Drifa! Did you use a zoom lens or were you able to just get reeeeally close to that squirrel? Either way it's fantastic.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Khazad Elder
Thank you! That squirrel is pretty cute. :smile:

We bought an Alocasia Regal Shield (elephant ears) this spring and put it in our garden, hoping for the best. It is a tropical plant, and although we get some pretty nice weather in the summer, we do not live in a tropical climate. Happily, it did very well, and just recently, one of its unique flowers bloomed, and another is on the way. Unfortunately, we had a wicked thunderstorm last week with lightning and hail. The hail ripped through the beautiful big leaves of the plant and left scars all over them. It did not damage the flower or the new leaf that was coming out. Luckily I got this photo before the damage.

High Warden of Tower
It is very pretty, and hopefully will recover well after hail. :heart:

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Pele. Yes, it is a unique-looking flower. Unfortunately, the new leaf that was coming out got damaged too. We will try to bring it in and winter it to put it out next Spring.

We put a hummingbird feeder up for the first time. It took a while for the birds to find it. They eventually did, but they were shy, and I couldn't sit outside and take photos. So these are through the window. They have already departed for the season. We hope to see more next year.

Master Torturer
Goorgeous pics! <3

High Warden of Tower
Little birds! :grin: Lovely!

Khazad Elder
Thanks! It was summertime back when those birds made a last visit to the feeder. Time sure flies, and so do those little ones. :smile:

I took this photo on a freezing yet sunny day in February. The funny-looking character there on the left. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
Did you surprise it by your paparazzi activities, @Drifa ? It surely is a very startled expression. :lol:

New Soul
Drifa: Hey! Some nice photos you posted since last time. Quite squirrel is that laying on the branch. Cute that bird with the feeder. Looking forward for more.

Khazad Elder
Thank you, Pele and Aikári!

Here is a yellow birch from North-eastern Quebec, Canada. Again, it was a cold sunny day.

High Warden of Tower
This is so detailed and beautiful! Makes me want to look for a better camera than I use at the moment (phone - hehehe).

New Soul
Drifa: Nice details how the outerlayers are chipping of the birchtree. It is what happens with this kind of tree. The light through the two trunks points out the details in full. Good shot. Quebec is beautiful country. My parents had long ago the idea to make a grand tour through the country, but it was ever left with the dream.

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Pele and Aikári! I can see all kinds of faces in the birchbark. :grin:

Here are a few more photos of the pretty Bohemian Waxwing I captured this morning.

New Soul
Drifa: Ah here are the other two pictures of the same bird as in the other thread. Real nice and sharp photos alltogether! Was the bird very hungry and ate it a lot of berries, although they look if they are long time on the bush? The yellow end of the tail is funny. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
That bright yellow in the tail!

Khazad Elder
Thank you, Aik and Pele! :smooch:

Long reign the dandelion! It brightens the early May days with its vibrant yellow.

New Soul
Drifa: Oh those flowers. I got bunches of them flowering in the garden. Slowly they are being cleared out as there are so many and usurping most of the other plants almost. And that is not what I want. But lovely photoshot you have posted. Simple flower, but addition for the bees around. :tongue:

High Warden of Tower
Ah, indeed! Though it blooms and becomes grey too quickly. Now, I should go and fish out some flower photos to put in my thread...

High Warden of Tower
*drops by* HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :encore: :heart:

Khazad Elder
Thank you, Pele! You are the best! :smooch: And a belated happy birthday to you! June 6th.

Have a flower! :grin:

Khazad Elder
It's been a while since I played at trying to be an artist. Here is what I have been up to this weekend. I see a lot of eyes and faces in most types of wood. I often wonder if it is the spirit of the tree peaking out at me. :smile: I photographed the old fence in our neighbour's yard. Looking through my lens, I saw an eye on the right-hand side.

I opened it in my paint program and, with some push editing and eye lights, I came up with this character. He was an excellent model and never once moved or twitched. :wink:

High Warden of Tower
That is a rather contemplative face!

Khazad Elder
Yes, it is a very contemplative face. The neighbours have a bird feeder close to the fence, and I believe this poor fellow is worried about being dumped on by the many birds that frequent it. It has happened to him before. :lol: Thanks for stopping in, Pele!

I have been working on a couple of banners to pass the time, hoping one will suit @Chrysophylax Dives (though there is no need to feel obliged :wink: ) for his thread on A Hobbit's Guide To Stairs.

*Bilbo the Hobbit by AubreesPassions On Deviant Art*

Hasty Ent
And I had thought that it was only dragons who slumber with one eye open. I will dare a bearded smooch.

:smooch:
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Drifa, that is so sweet!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

New Soul
Drifa: Those trompet flowers are looking very nice in different taints. And aye what we all can discover in wood. Indeed sometimes we see a lot, as you have edited the picture also. But editing I am not such a fan off. Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Arnyn! :heart:
Aiks, without editing, what would the world be like? Thanks anyway, thumbs:

I am using another image host site. I will have to get used to it. This photo was taken in the early morning, with shade on this side of the tree. What funky colours, my camera turned out.

Greetings from Mirkwood!

Khazad Elder
I still see things. This is frost on an ice pack. I see faces. It has been a long day. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
*meanders by*

How come I have looked in here, have seen the squirrel, and have not commented? :lol: Such a cute squirrel, Mirkwood or not!

And I think the ice packs might be a good practice tool for detectives. Fingerprint reading or something....

Khazad Elder
Hi Pele! Thanks! Yeah, those last photos are a bit strange. Seriously, the day I took them was my coffee day. I only drink coffee once a week now. It upsets my stomach more the pity. So when I drink it, the caffeine goes right to my head, and the tips of my hair feel like they are waving in a static frenzy. I probably saw something in the frost on the ice packs in my caffeine state. But I say, like you, it looks more like fingerprints. :googly:

Here are a few photos of the fall from my mushroom folder. I have many pictures from my years spent in the country/forest in the folder.

Hasty Ent
Drifa wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:51 pm I only drink coffee once a week now. It upsets my stomach more the pity. So when I drink it, the caffeine goes right to my head, and the tips of my hair feel like they are waving in a static frenzy.
You talking beard and all? That is a sight I would like to see!

Make way for the mushrooms!

Khazad Elder
Beard and all!

Image (26)

New Soul
Drifa: Makes it all the differences, not editing. Just photograph as what you see, I want others to see. Nice pics of the autumn. I got a few mushrooms also in the garden. Ideal weather for them. Thanks for sharing.

High Warden of Tower
Such lovely autumn pictures, @Drifa ! I want to go out into the forest now, but no such luck this evening. A run on the streets it will be.

Khazad Elder
Thanks, dragon, Aiks, and Pele! :smooch:

Here are some winter photos from a few years ago. I like dead, decaying leaves on trees or the ground. There is something pretty about them in my mind's eye. I also like old trees with gnarly knots, burls and rot, withered bark, and woodpecker marks. I always see some tortured creature within these deformities. :smile:

Hasty Ent
Drifa wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:15 pm I have been working on a couple of banners to pass the time, hoping one will suit @Chrysophylax Dives (though there is no need to feel obliged :wink: ) for his thread on A Hobbit's Guide To Stairs.
I have not the words to thank you for your images, Drifa. So I hope it is OK, instead, to post on your thread - where you see things - a series of photos taken earlier today by my son. heart and xx

PS. I sent my son a link to the thread and he says 'Whoa', your friend takes real nice pictures'.

Khazad Elder
You are welcome, Tree. It was my pleasure.

Great shots, son of Tree. The deer is so well-focused. What camera is your son using?

High Warden of Tower
Old trees and leaves can be interesting sometimes, @Drifa ! Will have to explore some more of that when I wander around. :grin:

Oooo, almost can see a deer skipping away through these photos, @Hill !

New Soul
Drifa, those pictures of the dead leaves in the snow are wonderful. It looks so tranquil actually. :heart:

Chrys: I have to echo Pele's words. Those pictures are awesome. Your son must have taken them on a recording speed or something, in a single take of sorts.

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Pele and Aiks!
It is time to dust off my photos again. I do not keep this thread free from it for someone who doesn't abide dust very well, haha. Here are some images from a campfire my mate and I enjoyed one night. I sat back with my camera and took exciting shots as the fire was fed and burned.

I see a naked body in the first and a minor figure floating in the second. The third picture looks like a coffin being burned, and doesn't it look like a dwarf's head lying in the flames at the far right? :smile:

High Warden of Tower
@Drifa , the first makes me think of a mini balrog or an ent on fire... :lol: